Christie thwarts GOP again, sets special election for October instead of letting appointee serve until next year

posted at 4:41 pm on June 4, 2013 by Allahpundit

The term for Lautenberg’s vacant seat runs until November 2014. Christie had two options in how to fill it. Option one: Simply appoint someone to serve out the rest of the term and let voters elect a new senator on schedule next year. Assuming Christie appointed a Republican, that would give the national GOP an extra vote in the Senate for almost 18 months — granted, likely a moderate vote, but that’s still preferable to a liberal Democrat. Maybe the appointee would impress Jerseyans with his Senate record and would stand an incumbent’s fighting chance to hold the seat against Cory Booker next year. Or maybe he wouldn’t intend to run against Booker at all, which would free him up to vote as a conservative for the remainder of the term. Jersey Democrats threatened to sue Christie if he went this route, but as Ed Krayewski noted at Reason, he had cover from the state’s bipartisan Office of Legislative Services. Reportedly, they issued an opinion earlier today stating that the 18-month appointment would be just fine legally.

Option two: Christie could throw all of that away by appointing a very short-term replacement for Lautenberg and scheduling a special election for sometime later this year. That would give Booker all kinds of advantages. Not only wouldn’t he have to face a GOP incumbent with more than a year’s experience in office, he also wouldn’t need to worry about his opponent having lots of time to fundraise. The risk to Christie in choosing this option was that it would bring all sorts of Democratic voters out to the polls on election day who might otherwise have stayed home. And that means Christie, who’s cruising to victory at the moment, could suddenly see his own gubernatorial reelection bid jeopardized by the big surge in Democratic turnout. All of which makes this a no-brainer, right? Appoint a Republican to finish Lautenberg’s term and trust that Christie’s big lead in the gubernatorial race won’t suffer too much for it. How angry could Jersey Democrats be if he appointed a Republican as squishy as he is?

So which option did Christie choose? Option two, of course — except that, in order to protect his own ass electorally, he decided to schedule the Senate special election in October, not on election day in November. Now he gets the best of both worlds, all but handing the seat to Booker ASAP to burnish his “bipartisan” brand while ensuring that he himself doesn’t have to face the extra Democratic voters who’ll turn out to vote for Booker. National Republicans are, as you might imagine, honked off:

The decision to hold a separate special election in October 2013—just two weeks before his own election—would give any interested Republican candidates little time to announce, organize a campaign, and raise the necessary money to take on a top-tier Democrat, likely Newark Mayor Cory Booker…

The governor’s decision, along with growing GOP expectations that his appointee will be a placeholder, means that the GOP’s chance at a pickup now looks like a long shot. But Christie protected his own interests by scheduling a separate 2013 election, ensuring that Booker wouldn’t usher a surge of Democratic voters that could hurt Christie’s November prospects…

“I think this ends his 2016 chances. It’s year after year with this guy,” complained one senior Republican official.

At the Corner, Robert Costa writes, “Insiders tell me that the November 2014 option was advised as the best course of action by national GOP officials, but Christie decided to go his own way.” Of course he did. As always, when there’s a conflict between what’s best for Christie and what’s best for his party, his interests take precedence. His allies are dressing this up, naturally, as the democratic thing to do, but this turn of phrase is revealing:

“Having someone hold that position for 18 months is not the right call,” an ally of Governor Christie told CNN. “It would be against the Christie brand – it’s not who he is, no one should have an appointed elected position for 18 months. People should have a voice and a choice for this.”

The “Christie brand” is, essentially, what the “Bloomberg brand” became in New York City over the course of the last decade: Nominally a Republican but, the better to succeed in a very blue jurisdiction, effectively an independent. (Bloomy eventually became an independent in name too.) The only “good” news in today’s decision is that he chose the course of action that maximizes his own chances of reelection. If you’re excited about a quasi-independent who’s been trending Democratic for the past year getting another term because he still calls himself a Republican, then congratulations, I guess. Also, and needless to say, holding two statewide elections two weeks apart when they could have been held on the same day will cost the state lots of extra money and administrative headaches. You’d think a “fiscal conservative” would pause at that thought but, via the Weekly Standard, here he is throwing his cares about that to the wind in the name of (of course) democracy. Evidently it would have been unconscionable to ask the good people of New Jersey to wait two extra weeks in electing their new senator. When it comes to protecting Christie’s own reelection, spare no expense.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Christie should be bringing a representative Republic to NJ, and what’s wrong with holding the election a few weeks later?

blink on June 4, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Absolutely everything — if you’re Christie looking for lower dem turnout in HIS OWN re-election. If Booker’s already installed in the US Senate, Christie’s own opponent, Buono, who hasn’t the enthusiasm Christie has, will garner much less support than having Booker at the top of that same ticket, even ABOVE Christie, being it’s a national vote.

Of course “I don’t know the cost nor do I care” was his answer.

Boy, oh boy. What a primary opponent could do with that one statement come ’16. The only question that remains is, who will be that opponent(s) and will they have the cojones to use it.

I’ll certainly be paying attention.

jersey taxpayer on June 4, 2013 at 8:49 PM

The trolls on here claiming that Christie is being “democratic” are hilarious. Witnesseth the Massachusetts democrats:

With all indications suggesting that Kerry will vacate the seat to ­become secretary of state, party ­insiders see huge hurdles that could include a divisive and expensive primary fight, followed by what will probably be a general election battle against Scott Brown, a popular ­Republican, who is seen by analysts as a strong contender in a low-turnout special election.

One of the easiest ways to ensure that the seat remains in Democratic hands would be to do away with a special election, instead allowing Governor Deval Patrick to appoint a fellow Democrat to serve out the remain­der of Kerry’s term through 2014. That was the longstanding law for filling Senate vacancies in Massachusetts before the Legislature changed the statute in 2004, creating a special election procedure in effort to deny Mitt Romney, then governor, a Senate appointment if Kerry had won the presidential race.

Five years later, in 2009, the Legislature again amended the law at the behest of Edward M. Kennedy, who was dying of brain cancer, allow­ing the governor to appoint an interim senator to fill the seat only for a brief period until the special election. Kennedy argued that the state needed to be represented in the debate at the time over the ­national health care law.

Because Democratic leaders have now changed the law twice in the last eight years, it would be politically difficult to finagle the process yet again.

Firefly_76 on June 4, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I need to jet. Again, it sure felt good voting my conscious today. Even if Christie wins the R nom, I know I did the right thing for me.

Have a good night, all.

jersey taxpayer on June 4, 2013 at 8:51 PM

What a self-serving, self-centered, transparently two-faced bag of wind. New Jersey, you have my sympathy up to a point — said point being that Christie is probably the best you’ve got, and that ain’t much. Godspeed, and vote carefully this year and next.

hillbillyjim on June 4, 2013 at 8:55 PM

First of all, Christie would have lost the public political argument completely if he had appointed someone to serve until “next year.” Whoever would win the election in the Special Election will be immediately elevated to take over as a result of political pressure here in New Jersey.

The reason is seniority.

Back when Harrison Williams was forced to resign as a result of the ABSCAM scandal, then-Governor Tom Kean appointed Republican Nick Brady to that seat (in April ’82). But when Millicent Fenwick lost the election in the fall (to Frank Lautenberg) then Brady resigned around Christmas as a courtesy, and permitted Lautenberg to be immediately elevated to the seat, which gave the newly elected Senator an edge on seniority.

So the difference between grabbing a few months of partisan advantage over the seat would have been seen by the public here as politically untenable. It is a non issue, and really stupid.

What will be far more telling is whether Christie appoints a “caretaker” — such as former Governor Kean, who would pledge not to run, or a viable gubernatorial candidate, such as Tom Kean, Jr. (who is currently the Republican minority leader in the state senate. That may be the plan.

Another good possibility for a candidate would be Congressman Rodney Frelinghuysen (R-Morris) who would be an excellent candidate. Not only is he a great guy, and a Viet-Nam vet who served when others with even lesser connections were draft dodging, Rodney has maintained a big base of popular support, and a proven track record, including when he has been faced with potential primary challenges.

Splitting the election dates by Chris seems clearly political, regardless of how many times Governor Christie insists otherwise. But so what? Who is going to organize critical opposition to that?

If the Rs put up a viable candidate, there is a good likelihood that by October or November, one or more of the Obama administration scandals will have devolved into political poison for Democrats, and the Rs could pick up victories in both races.

Trochilus on June 4, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Remember when Christie was the New Hotness? A good warning to not get too attached to politicians.

thebrokenrattle on June 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Chris Histrie will be lucky to get Huntsman’s 1% if he runs in 2016.

ModerateMan on June 4, 2013 at 9:04 PM

If he’s wondering about the cost it is his chance of ever sitting in the White House other than as a guest of his bff, Obama.

flyoverland on June 4, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I remember how many on this blog were on the Christie bandwagon last year. I had a gut feeling this guy was not to be trusted.

rich8450 on June 4, 2013 at 9:15 PM

When you people from the south live in places like NJ and understand what it takes for a Republican to win in a place like that maybe then you can temper your criticism with a dose of reality.

NJ is not Alabama, or any other conservative state. Your kind of Republican will never win nationally. Never.

I want to fix this country, and you want to whine.

petunia on June 4, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I live in NJ and you have it exactly wrong. He should’ve asked Steve Lonegan to take Lautenberg’s place and not held the replacement election till 2014. It’s exactly what the lying Democrats would’ve done because it’s what they have done before. Look at McGreevy’s resignation or Torrecelli on the ballot. Christie is all about himself and not the good of the state or the country.

YOUR KIND OF REPUBLICAN WILL NEVER WIN NATIONALLY

njrob on June 4, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Can’t wait for the establishment Repubs to tell us all how much sense it makes to nominate a guy like Christie in 2016. He’ll get the moderates to vote for him, you know.

dirtseller on June 4, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Before Obama southerners won the presidency 20 years straight. I think our kind has won nationally for those with a short memory.

ModerateMan on June 4, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I still think Christie has a long-term plan with this decision. It’s hard to believe he hasn’t had something up his sleeve in the works since Lautenberg’s been ill, and missing quite a few Senate votes recently.

I can’t imagine he’d throw away the available seat, especially if he seriously plans a White House run in 2016. The Tea Party, and more ardent social cons, are going to absolutely necessary voters for Christie, and so far they don’t seem very happy with him.

But I’ve been wrong before…a la Charlie “eat my hat” Crist…and I seem to curse anyone I end up supporting…so I’m not going to sing anyone’s praises too loudly. But I will give Christie the benefit of the doubt. For now.

JetBoy on June 4, 2013 at 9:34 PM

OK, thanks for the update. I hadn’t read much about his actual actions since all of his battles with the unions and legislature.

blink on June 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Christie’s supposed “battles with the unions” were oversold. If the unions really would have felt threatened, you’d have seen a shitstorm a la Wisconsin over there in New Jersey. As it is, didn’t happen.

gryphon202 on June 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM

JetBoy on June 4, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Careful, Jet. You know where “hope” usually leads us…

gryphon202 on June 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM

If we get Mr./Ms. Democrat-lite in office, what have we gained?

Nothing. We have only further weakened our brand, and our future.

It’s time to quit apologizing for being Conservative, and instead make cogent arguments why Conservatism is the only practical and sensible answer to today’s ills.

Enough of the “Party of Pander”. Let’s get our core message out and do it clearly, plainly, and without rancor. This is what will win national elections, state elections, and local elections — not running to the middle every time an election approaches.

Weakness of spine and spirit is never an asset.

hillbillyjim on June 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I get the argument for having the special election.

I don’t get having a special election 2 weeks before the already scheduled election.

Is there any rational reason for this (e.g. it’s somehow more expensive to amend the Nov election than to just have two elections)?

If I were thinking about voting for him on purely fiscal reasons, that would give me pause right there. Apparently he’s for fiscal soundness right up until it might affect his own power.

JadeNYU on June 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM

If I may, I will translate Chris Christie’s words for the Conservatives; Ladies and Gentleman, Fat Christie.

“Four Score and Seven Fat People Ago, I lied to a State a State filled with liars and I was the Fattest of those Liars. I Stand before you a Grotesque and Fat Man, but I need not pretend to be anything but. Am I a mere Fat Man? No, I have grown Larger, Bigger and to the point I Stand Fattest Among you! This Day, I will use any and all means to stay the Fattest Among you, I am your leader, no, more your ruler, and as said ruler the rules, words and all other previous things do not apply. Now Bow to your Fat Man…Bow I say!!

Welcome to the new world of fat! Can you imagine that simpleton Ann Coulter backed this Ham Hock? Stupid is what stupid does.

Tbone McGraw on June 4, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I’ve lurked in this thread without saying much. I really don’t want to toss a rhetorical bomb in here, but whatevs.

A lot of people, especially conservatives in New Jersey, are holding out hope that Chris Christie will become something he is not. Something he never has been. And they base it on rather flimsy-seeming reasoning, as far as I’m concerned. Crossing’s one fingers has never been a very viable political strategy, so conservative New Jersey had better start standing up for its principles and calling Chris Christie out when he violates them.

gryphon202 on June 4, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I get the argument for having the special election.

JadeNYU on June 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Don’t ask me to explain how this helps the GOP writ-large. I don’t get it. But I have been assured by no less than the illustrious Guy Benson that it does.

gryphon202 on June 4, 2013 at 9:44 PM

I want to fix this country

petunia

By shilling for the kind of people who helped break it.

Christie is a Conservative Republican. And a damn good one.

cdw070

You forgot the sarc tag.

Republicans were so eager to bring democracy to Iraq and Afghanistan, but are pissed off when Christie brings democracy to Jersey. Go figure.

triple the stupid

Oh look, a liberal making a dumba** argument. Go figure.

xblade on June 4, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Mitch the bitch McConnell tells Harry Reid not to worry, I will not do a cloucher on the gang of eight Amnesty aka comprehensive immigration open borders bill of Obama and Shummers.

Rat b@@tered.

The commie Democrats and their low whore RINO’s want only slaves to pay taxes snd keep their heads down in the pig pen.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on June 4, 2013 at 9:49 PM

tset

APACHEWHOKNOWS on June 4, 2013 at 9:52 PM

OK

Mitch McConnell has folded up under pressure once more says Mark Levin just as Mark closed his show tonight.

Seems McConnell told Harry Reid that Mitch aka the RINO’s would not support any filabuster of the gang of 8 amnesty aks comprenhisive immigration open borders commie Democrat , Schummer/Obama bill.

Rat fink his is in my not so humble opinion.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on June 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Former House majority leader Dick Armey blasted Chris Christie’s decision to hold a special election this October for New Jersey’s now-open Senate seat.

Armey said this is a further blow to Christie’s standing within the Republican party, because he could have put the election off until 2014, and appointed a Republican to serve until then. “This is what really rankles conservatives,” Armey said on CNN this afternoon. “I put it down as debilitating stupidity because the first rule of politics is ‘don’t lose the friends you already have for the friends you’re never going to get.’”

INC on June 4, 2013 at 10:03 PM

He is smart!

southernms on June 4, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Careful, Jet. You know where “hope” usually leads us…

gryphon202 on June 4, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Yep…with a big ol’ industrial-sized screw betwixt the butt cheeks.

JetBoy on June 4, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Any chance of the Republican candidate actually winning this, thereby creating outrageous outrage among the Dems, who would turn out en masse to defeat Christie a few weeks later?

Kevin71 on June 4, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I live in NJ. CC did little to rein in benefits for Public Employees. CC has zero coattails. He will win in November and have a Democratic Legislature. I hope there is a libertarian on the ballot that I can vote for.

alanstern on June 4, 2013 at 10:16 PM

He is smart!

southernms on June 4, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Yeah.

He’s really smart… in a backstabbing, all-about-me kind of way.

If this kind of “loyalty” is seen as desirable because it may be politically expedient for the two individuals known as the Krispy Kreme King Chris Christie, then let’s have an undesirable on the ticket for the good people of NJ next time ’round.

This is weasel work, no matter how you attempt to dissect it.

hillbillyjim on June 4, 2013 at 10:19 PM

I’m sure this has been asked and answered, I haven’t read the comments, how does Ms. Coulter explain this choice. I’d rather he put a Dem in then a place holder and a special election. What a waste of money and time for no go reason.

Cindy Munford on June 4, 2013 at 10:21 PM

The hell of the whole thing is that no matter how big the pander, Christie-poo will get little love from those whose favor he seeks. This road is not going where he thinks.

Many have tried this road before, and it always leads to the same place. A little town called Disappointment.

hillbillyjim on June 4, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Cindy Munford on June 4, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Like I mentioned, I have to give Christie that benefit of the doubt that he got a long-term ace up his sleeve we don’t know about yet.

JetBoy on June 4, 2013 at 10:23 PM

gryphon202 on June 4, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Are you a conservative in NJ? Are you part of one of our tea parties? If you aren’t, with all due respect, please do not speak for us. Thanks.

I have no faith in Christie and I didn’t when he was elected. He’s always been a RINO and his policies, with few exceptions, have been consistent with that. He’s a better manager than Corzine and McGreevy, but that’s not saying much since they were awful and just there for the notoriety.

njrob on June 4, 2013 at 10:26 PM

JetBoy on June 4, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Are you that afraid to call out a Republican, Jet? For the love of God, man, grow a spine!

gryphon202 on June 4, 2013 at 10:28 PM

The guys a big honker for leftist climate change. This while a PEW poll has only 19% of Republicans believing in man-made global warming. 19%. What gets me is what make him and smug “conservatives” like Huntsman so much smarter than the rest of us?

We all know that the hockey stick has been debunked, and without the hockey stick there’s nothing unusual about current temperatures or climate. And despite previous (false) ipcc assertions, there’s no demonstrated causal relationship between CO2 & climate temperatures. None. See and share this key 3 minute video that beautifully makes this point on CO2 obvious and calls out Al Gore for his disingenuous bullshit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK_WyvfcJyg&info=GGWarmingSwindle_CO2Lag

anotherJoe on June 4, 2013 at 10:31 PM

njrob on June 4, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Whoa there, cowboy. I dunno why you’re getting so defensive. You and I pretty much agree on the merits of Christie’s gubernatorial tenure, which is to say, there aren’t many outside of “he’s not Corzine.”

If I jumped down everyone’s throat that ever presumed to speak for me here, I’d be pretty miserable. But I know that New Jersey is a deep blue state. And I know that to be conservative is very lonely there. At least that’s what New Jerseyites (?) tell me when they try to explain to me that Chris Christie was the best they could do against Corzine, and yes, I do believe it was.

I just happen to believe in principle. I don’t think one’s principles should depend on geographical location. I’m not ready to write off New Jersey just because I come from a deep blood-red state. I’m not going to sit here and say, “Oh well. It’s just New Jersey.” Not while Ann Coulter is creaming herself over the thought of a Chris Christie presidency. There is too much at stake!

gryphon202 on June 4, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Haha. Christie has an ace up his sleeve. It’s a super plan we don’t know about until we vote for him. Like that super plan he had up his sleeve at the convention where he hogged the stage for his own personal gain and then turned around and propped up Obama instead of mitt.

We didn’t know about that plan until mitt chose him for the convention.

SparkPlug on June 4, 2013 at 10:34 PM

We didn’t know about that plan until mitt chose him for the convention.

SparkPlug on June 4, 2013 at 10:34 PM

You forgot your sarc tag, Sparky.

gryphon202 on June 4, 2013 at 10:36 PM

gryphon202 on June 4, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Well the sarc tag was up my sleeve. Hehe.

SparkPlug on June 4, 2013 at 10:40 PM

GOP extremely mad that voters get to elect who represents them rather than have republican politics forced upon them.

Sometimes I really wonder why people hate republicans?

triple on June 4, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Cry me a river. If a Democrat governor appoints a Democrat to serve the remaining months of a Senatorial term, there wouldn’t even be a peep from the legacy media – not to mention you.

Jurisprudence on June 4, 2013 at 11:35 PM

thebrokenrattle on June 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM

This is good advice.

I liked Christie when he was our arshole.

But now he is just an arshole.

Sherman1864 on June 5, 2013 at 1:01 AM

NJ RINO A-Hole+Doughnut Hole=Krispy Kreme Christy

My bet is that story about the Clinton-Obama 2016 endorsement is a fient.

The Christie/Obama Romance in no fleeting thing. I predict a Christy endorsement from Jug Ears…pays Krispy Kream back for the pre-election Sandy Tongue Bath….screws the Pig in a Pantsuit and Conservative Republicans at the same time…plus he can still peddle the BS that he is some sort of “post partisan” politician…My bet: Chrissy Matthews and Morning Joe are having wet dreams about the possibilities…

glcinpdx on June 5, 2013 at 1:01 AM

> national GOP officials

Why listen to them?

rubberneck on June 5, 2013 at 3:52 AM

That assumes he had a chance to begin with, which he didn’t. There are plenty of conservatives like me (i.e. “The base”) who would simply sit out the election or go third party with Christie on the GOP ticket. We just saw in November what happens when you don’t have the base, although I did vote for Romney, thinking he was our last chance to stave off some very hard times, and I have seen no reason to show my belief wrong as of yet.

I’ve had it with faux republicans.

Othniel on June 5, 2013 at 4:34 AM

So when’s he switching parties?

CurtZHP on June 4, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Apparently, in 2011.

Wino on June 5, 2013 at 4:48 AM

gryphon202 on June 4, 2013 at 10:34 PM

But that’s my point. Most of us conservatives stuck in deep blue NJ feel the exact same way. There just aren’t enough of us to make a difference otherwise Lonegan would’ve been Governor and not Christie. So we don’t make excuses for Christie. We speak as loudly as we can. We organize. There just aren’t enough of us… yet.

njrob on June 5, 2013 at 5:00 AM

God bless New JOISSEA!

No matter what, you Joissea fxxx deserve what you voted for. And yes, damnit, I ended a sentence with a preposition.

Better than a prosecution, eh?

And then…

hillbillyjim on June 5, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Herein lies the text and subtlety wherein hillbillyjim gets his slovenly and globally goose cooked.

Happy trails to you
Until we meet again

and stuff.

hillbillyjim on June 5, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Christie can forget ever getting the Republican nomination for president. But, I predict that, by the time he considers a run, he’ll have switched parties anyway.

TheRealSwede on June 5, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Here’s something for you backyard naysayers who are somehow NOW dissing Christie:

Bugger off, you part-time pieces of shazizzle.

You paid for what you bought — with your vote no less.

Don’t come crying to me when Big Fat Bloomberg Junior does less than meet your sad expectations.

Godawlwhatzit! Get a grip, and thank you.

That is all for now.

Bye, y’all!

hillbillyjim on June 5, 2013 at 7:47 AM

“Christie Thwarts the GOP Again…”

Rather than 1 man choosing a politician he will force down the throats of those he will represent Christie is going to give New Jersey citizens a choice. Shame on him.

Yes, it will cost more….Yes, many voters are stupid & will vote for whoever will give them things…& yes choosing a GOP candidate would give Senate GOP another vote.

SCREW THE GOP!

What are they going to do with that extra vote, anyway? What have they done with the votes they have? They, like Liberals, have looked after themselves, have benefitted themselves, have lied to us, & demonstrated they have absolutely NO TESTICULAR FORTITUDE to stand up to the current scandal-ridden administration to do the right thing. Instead they play their little internal games, hold hearings & meetings & press conference for political theatrics to try to fool their constituents / Americans that they are trying to do something.

As in everything with the government right now, I believe that decisions – and just about everything else – is best left in the hands of the American people rather than a politician making decisions for us while telling us its in OUR best interest…only to find we continue getting $crewed over and over. Having said that, I applaud Christie in deferring to the people of his state to make their own decision.

easyt65 on June 5, 2013 at 7:59 AM

easyt65 on June 5, 2013 at 7:59 AM

Dude. These decisions “is best left in the hands” of anyone but the likes of you; yes you, who cannot produce a grammatically correct sentence when faced with the possibility that someone, somewhere might actually read it.

God bless you, and may He educate you as well.

hillbillyjim on June 5, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Think about that for just a cotton-pickin’ minute, folks — as in, think about this, if only for a moment:

The fellow actually has the right idea and he has no idea that he knows it. It’s truly sad, is it not?

In the words of that immortal soul of a poet named “Frank Barone”:

HOLY CRAP !!!!

hillbillyjim on June 5, 2013 at 8:34 AM

JetBoy on June 4, 2013 at 10:23 PM

He will never get to play it.

Cindy Munford on June 5, 2013 at 8:35 AM

easyt65 on June 5, 2013 at 7:59 AM

That’s fine, but here’s my problem with it. Christie had two perfectly legal choices; appointment someone to fill out the term or appointment someone until the next regular election. He chose neither; rather, he decided that New Jersey could have a special election two weeks before the regular election, costs be damned. Either of the first two choices are fine, but everyone in NJ should be exteremely upset that CC is holding a special election for no purpose other than to protect himself. That is what ticks me off; that we allow or politicians to keep giving us the finger, and then we get a bunch of nimrods to come on here and tell us how this is democratic, how we should just trust them, they’ve got our backs. Bull. They have their own backs. When they have our backs, you know what they’re doing to us.

kenro85 on June 5, 2013 at 8:47 AM

What is it with Republican governors in New Jersey named “Christie”?

GWB on June 5, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Dumb decision. If Christie had appointed a centrist or “moderate” Republican to fill the seat until November 2014, Christie would have shored up his support among Republicans while not angering NJ moderates who might have rebelled if he had appointed a strong conservative like Steve Lonegan or Bret Schundler to the Senate. The appointee would then have the advantage of 16 months in the Senate and a voting record which he could then take into the November 2014 election.

Also, by enabling a Democrat to win the special election in October 2013, the Democrat would have more seniority on committees than another Senate Democrat elected in November 2014.

Since the NJ gubernatorial primary is already over and Christie knows who his Democrat opponent is in November 2013, there is no real reason to enable Cory Booker to run for the Senate earlier than November 2014.

If Christie were smart, he would appoint a moderate Republican to fill the seat until 2014. After all, the only reason Lautenberg died in office is because Democrats coaxed him out of retirement when the Torch (Torricelli) went down in flames, AFTER he won his primary. If Democrats can get away with that, Christie should at least take advantage of his legal ability to appoint a Senator for a year and a half.

Steve Z on June 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Dear Chris,

Perhaps you should take time to realize an important rule of Politics. Don’t alienate the friends you already have for the friends you’re never going to get.

For a second opinion, see George H. W. Bush.

jaydee_007 on June 5, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Christie is an empty suited selfish Loser. Republican Convention makes speech undermining Ann Romney’s beautiful speech and also spends 99% of his speech on talking about hinmself. Do Not Forget Lovefest with Obama on the Jersey Shore and his weird man crush on Bruce Springsteen. He is a child in a Big Man body.

Natebo on June 5, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Do the people touting Christie for “letting the voters chose” say the same thing about people putting up with our AH POTUS since he was elected by the people after all?

If that is the mantra we’re supposed to follow all whining and carping about BO’s pitiful performance will have to stop because the voters picked him. /s

katiejane on June 5, 2013 at 12:30 PM

. . .

Steve Z on June 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I completely disagree, Steve Z. I live in New Jersey. Democrats got away with the Torricelli thingy because this was such a blue state. Politically (and possibly legally), Christie could have never gotten away with appointing someone for the remainder of the term (i.e., until 2014). It would have hurt his reelection chances AND the election chances of Republicans statewide

He did exactly the right thing by providing for an election to fill the seat for the remainder of the term. The only question was when the election would be held.

People can fault him for separating the two elections out on fiscal grounds, but he would have had to engage in an extremely uncomfortable fiction in order to hold the two elections on the same day (in November) — i.e., he would have had to not publicly declaring the existence of the vacancy for at least a week from now.

By NJ law:

[I]f a special day is designated, it shall specify the cause and purpose of such election, the name of the officer in whose office the vacancy has occurred, the day on which a special primary election shall be held, which shall be not less than 70 days nor more than 76 days following the date of such proclamation [of the vacancy], and the day on which the special election shall be held, which shall be not less than 64 nor more than 70 days following the day of the special primary election.

Go ahead and count. It means a late October special election at the latest.

Incidentally, it doesn’t matter what OLS said about the “conflicting” provisions of state law. A state court would have ended up settling the matter, and anyone who takes even one second to remember the state Supreme Court’s decision in the Torricelli case, would certainly want to think twice about ever again allowing the courts to resolve a political election question!

Christie firmly kept the issue within his own political bailiwick by deciding it the way he did.

And, if he had tried to appoint someone for the remainder of the term, he would have also faced a risky court battle over that issue, too, a fight which Democrats would have gleefully waged, and which could have also risked his own position (and the legislative contenders) in November if he lost — that was both an unacceptable political and legal risk.

Finally, there are other very important reasons that Christie’s decision was absolutely the right one. By deciding to do it this way, there will now be a very contentious fight amongst at least three N.J. Democrats (Cory Booker, Cong. Rob Andrews and Cong. Frank Pallone) and likely a fourth — Cong. Rush Holt — to garner that Democrat nomination, at a critical time for local legislative race fundraising, and also fundraising for the gubernatorial candidate, Barbara Buono.

All three or four of those Democrats will be furiously fund raising in competition with contenders for all 120 state level legislative positions — both the NJ State Senate (40 seats), and the NJ State General Assembly (80 seats) are up this year. As you can see, the Senate is currently 24 – 16, but with all the Senate seats up, there is a possibility of Republicans picking up several seats.

The national Democrats will be pulling out all the financial stops just to keep that U.S. Senate seat, and tapping the NJ Democrat donors big time.

But in the Gubernatorial race, if Chris gets a big margin of victory, his coattails could bring in large numbers in the NJ State Senate and the NJ State General Assembly, ala former Gov. Tom Kean’s big victory in 1985.

Nothing would help that possibility more than a local pinch on Democrat fundraising coffers because three or four Democrat bigs statewide are duking it out in order to get a nomination for the U.S. Senate contest!

The only remaining piece — and an important one — is who Chris picks to fill the seat until October. Will it be a place holder (ala the Nick Brady selection by former Gov. Tom Kean back in ’82), or will it be a serious Republican contender for the seat (probably after having consulted with the county chairs), thereby giving whoever the choice is, a solid leg up for the nomination for the fall race?

Get it? This move of a) providing for a special election AND b) separating out the two races was tactically brilliant on his part.

Trochilus on June 5, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Remember when people said either Rubio or Christie would be the republican nominee in 2016? WRONG! This is why I don’t pay attention to such conjecture this far out.

fight like a girl on June 5, 2013 at 2:59 PM

petunia on June 4, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I need you and your ilk to understand why your first point negates your second. In a modern race, no actual Republican will ever win the electoral votes of NJ, or NY, or RI, or MA, or VT, or CT, or CA. Ergo, what republicans in those states think about national policy is irrelevant, except vis-a-vis how they control the message. What Texas and other southern Republicans think is far, far more important than what New England Republicans think. Romney was your archetype. Your archetype can no longer amass a coalition of 50%+1 in this country. It is time to stop insisting that your favored policies and approaches are what is needed to win elections. They aren’t.

alwaysfiredup on June 6, 2013 at 1:18 AM