Pennsylvania Democrat anonymously trolled constituents online for supporting drilling

posted at 9:21 pm on June 3, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

The kicker? He’s a supporter of a state cyberbullying bill.

A state lawmaker on Thursday acknowledged making “anonymous” and “fictitious” online posts attacking constituents who support shale-gas drilling in Washington County and apologized to two people for any “offensive or hurtful” actions.

Residents and the industry group Energy In Depth accused Rep. Jesse White, D-Cecil, of using aliases to call his critics “mouth breathers” and to call industry supporters, including senior citizens, “hucksters.”

White explained himself by blaming drilling companies and pro-industry groups for targeting him with “misleading and personal attacks.”

“These attacks have included anonymous or fictitious posts on various websites,” White, 34, said in an emailed statement. “On occasion, I have exercised my First Amendment rights and responded in kind, which was an error in judgment that I regret.

“To be clear, I did not use government resources while posting comments on these sites.”

So, there’s that. But he probably went after some really dastardly folks, right?

“It’s just crazy,” said Janice Gibbs, 64, of Cecil, a retired waitress who cares for her ill husband and 2-year-old granddaughter. “It was a shock that he would go to this, (that) a public official who’s an educated man would go to this depth of harassing people when he doesn’t have to.

“He can debate and have his opinion. And he doesn’t have to bash his constituents.”

Constituents, who were called industry “moles” and worse by White’s pseudonyms for months and years, have now been invited to meet with White face-to-face. Because that’ll make everything better:

“I apologize to Janice Gibbs and Donald Roessler for any action I’ve taken that may have been offensive or hurtful and I will be extending a private invitation to meet with them to discuss our viewpoints face-to-face, in an effort to find common ground and foster a more professional and respectful level of communication,” White’s statement said.

The Tribune-Democrat called for White’s resignation:

It would be hard to imagine an Allegheny County legislator remaining in office after committing such dastardly and immature acts involving constituents.

State Rep. Jesse White has apologized for anonymously attacking constituents who support Marcellus Shale natural gas drilling and calling a woman an “industry troll.”

White apologized last week for online attacks that included saying the woman was “dumber than a box of rocks.”

“The part that hurts the most is this is my state representative. This is not just me talking to a neighbor,” the woman responded.

Comments

RWM, you absolutely have to find a use for the promo pic.

nobar on June 3, 2013 at 9:23 PM

HAL is not bad looking…
For a sock puppet..

Electrongod on June 3, 2013 at 9:24 PM

White embraces the Holder Doctrine.

FAIL.

Resist We Much on June 3, 2013 at 9:24 PM

He’s libfreeordie, heh.

22044 on June 3, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Freaking nutbar

gophergirl on June 3, 2013 at 9:26 PM

So is HAL Wiener?

CW on June 3, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I don’t have all the facts, but the mouth-breathers acted stupidly. Beer summit!

/Obastage

Left Coast Right Mind on June 3, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Evening All….he reduced himself to the life of a “troll.” Now that is embarrassing…almost as bad as Weiner!

CoffeeLover on June 3, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Maybe he was Seven Seas.

NotCoach on June 3, 2013 at 9:27 PM

It’s obvious that this pic was intended to indict nonpartisan. After all, we haven’t seen him in quite a while.

nobar on June 3, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Congress shall make no law… abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of legislators peaceably to assemble, and to sockpuppet their constituents.

Curtiss on June 3, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I’ve frequently wondered who some of the commenters here really are, and what their IP addresses would reveal about where they’re writing from.

INC on June 3, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I think the constituents should show up with a restraining order… to keep this idiot a good 100′ from themselves… and any computer with internet connectivity… until the day he is no longer in public service nor working for a lobbying firm.

ajacksonian on June 3, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Well, who am I supposed to change?

The HotAirians (Pics)

You guys make the call…or, perhaps, I have overlooked a troll, who we can assign sockpuppet status???

Resist We Much on June 3, 2013 at 9:39 PM

INC on June 3, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I remember the online cartoon of the moo moo and/or pj chubby lady with the pink rollers in her hair and the mole with the hair coming out of it where she was pm’ing sweet nothings about being a sexy blonde!

That has always stuck with me.

CoffeeLover on June 3, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Resist We Much on June 3, 2013 at 9:39 PM

My vote is for Marxist Hog.

nobar on June 3, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Resist We Much on June 3, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Oh dear RWM….those are too perfect to switch out…

CoffeeLover on June 3, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I don’t understand. Did they catch him somehow, or did he just admit to being these various screen names saying these specific thingsz.

Alana on June 3, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I might be slow here but is a PA state Democrat essentially saying he is justified in calling opponents mouth breathers and hucksters because he thinks drilling companies have been mean to him? And he went “Richard Windsor” to attack 64-year-olds? And when caught, wants to personally apologize?

You can’t write this stuff as fiction and make it believable. Democrats have no shame. They are the enemy local, state, national.

Happy Nomad on June 3, 2013 at 9:44 PM

The kicker? He’s a supporter of a state cyberbullying bill.

Demtraitorsocialists are two faced lying hipppooocrites.

SparkPlug on June 3, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Well, who am I supposed to change?

The HotAirians (Pics)

Resist We Much on June 3, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Impressive! Now I wish we could add avatars to our comments. :)

22044 on June 3, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Democrats are intolerant group think zombie cultists that lie to discredit any fact that goes against their bogus belief system.

SparkPlug on June 3, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Resist We Much on June 3, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Canophor…LOL..
I always wondered why he would go silent from time to time..:)

Electrongod on June 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM

They’re nothing without astroturf.

hawkdriver on June 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM

First Amendment rights? You didn’t post as yourself Mr. White. How did you exercise your First Amendment rights? You sought to “Richard Windsor” the situation by trolling as a third party.

What a worthless coward you must be.

Happy Nomad on June 3, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Democrats usually accuse people of what they are guilty of so I’d look into the matter of who he shilling for. You might find that he is the one working for big oil. Big oil doesn’t want anymore new sources of oil. It hurts their profits.

Buddahpundit on June 3, 2013 at 9:51 PM

CoffeeLover on June 3, 2013 at 9:40 PM

That one I missed!

After a while it’s pretty easy to know who are the “real” people.

INC on June 3, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Y’all do realize that HotAirLib, nonpartisan, and libfreeordie are all my sockpuppet accounts for when I want to troll you guys, right?

;-)

JimLennon on June 3, 2013 at 9:57 PM

INC on June 3, 2013 at 9:55 PM

lol, that goes back over 20 yrs now. I remember it from when I got my first computer at home and instant messages!!!

CoffeeLover on June 3, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Resist We Much on June 3, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Canophor…LOL..
I always wondered why he would go silent from time to time..:)

Electrongod on June 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I love Canophor. I guess he has to grab those ZZZZZZZZ’s because he’s exhausted from babysitting his grandchild!

INC on June 3, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Voter fraud, lying, cheating, intolerance, mooching and greed is the liberal way.

SparkPlug on June 3, 2013 at 10:00 PM

For the record, a few people in Antarctica hate me too.

hawkdriver on June 3, 2013 at 10:01 PM

NOT CANOPHOR!!!!!!

He’s perfect as the rabbit!!!!

Barred on June 3, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Oh I got a statement for you alright Jesse, you bald, goat poking a-hole. Too nice?

arnold ziffel on June 3, 2013 at 10:07 PM

CoffeeLover on June 3, 2013 at 9:59 PM

You predate me on that. We had a home computer twenty+ years ago, but no internet at the time.

(I did have a friend who was an electrical engineer tell us thirty+ years ago about the military using computers to talk to each other!)

INC on June 3, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Why doesn’t he just claim “personal responsibility”?

Worked for Hillary!

GarandFan on June 3, 2013 at 10:11 PM

So is HAL [A] Wiener?

CW on June 3, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Solaratov on June 3, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Resist We Much on June 3, 2013 at 9:39 PM

As far as the sock puppet goes, one here who isn’t a troll, but a friendly and amusing one is Percy B.

I think he usually links his moniker to photos of either Blakeley Manor or Sir Percy himself from the 1982 movie of The Scarlet Pimpernel.

Add a quizzing glass to the sock!

I’ll see if I can find one of the photos he uses.

INC on June 3, 2013 at 10:16 PM

HAL:

Solaratov on June 3, 2013 at 10:12 PM

You’re too kind sir.

arnold ziffel on June 3, 2013 at 10:16 PM

INC on June 3, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I hated them bucolic days before I could look up stuff of no redeeming qualities.

arnold ziffel on June 3, 2013 at 10:18 PM

arnold ziffel on June 3, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Ha ha. In the olden days in college it was called finding obscure books in the library stacks that served as distractions and the means to procrastinating doing research on a term paper!

INC on June 3, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Another jackass living up to the party symbol

crosshugger on June 3, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Phil Griffin is set to sign Rep. Jesse Sockpuppet to a multiyear dear at MSNBC. He’d fit right in.

Myron Falwell on June 3, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Just one of many ignorant liberal Democrats doing what ignorant liberal Democrats do.

Zorro on June 3, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Of course, this is the state that instituted the 1896 (Red flag) Auto Law – the most hilarious I’ve ever heard of.

OldEnglish on June 3, 2013 at 10:35 PM

…how many people believe that?…raise your hands!

KOOLAID2 on June 3, 2013 at 10:35 PM

INC on June 3, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I need a line for PercyB.

Resist We Much on June 3, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I need a line for PercyB.

Resist We Much on June 3, 2013 at 10:37 PM

OK.

He’s always doing poetry. Riffs on the Pimpernel style.

Let me see what I can find.

INC on June 3, 2013 at 10:40 PM

His sockpuppet will probably win an award. Richard Windsor, Model Employee.

John the Libertarian on June 3, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Molester is the sockpuppet.

Resist We Much on June 3, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Note to self: Don’t get on RWM’s bad side.

CurtZHP on June 3, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Buddahpundit on June 3, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Or he could be an enviro-nazi and is shilling for a not-for-profit (except his own) concern, or some wind farm or solar panel company that is in the process of going bankrupt, after taking his cut off the top, of course.

I’m in western PA myself. In our state district, our rep had one of those environmental whacko types — a Dem, natch — running against him in 2012. He lost miserably, but not before an acquaintance of mine (a retired public school teacher) who was campaigning for him irritated me beyond belief with all his misinformation about fracking. I wanted to tell the teacher that he wasn’t helping his candidate’s cause much at all, but I figured he could find out the hard way.

PatriotGal2257 on June 3, 2013 at 10:49 PM

This is the poem the Baroness Orczy has PercyB compose to mock the French in The Scarlet Pimpernel.

We seek him here, we seek him there,
Those Frenchies seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven?—Is he in hell?
That demmed, elusive Pimpernel.

You can do a riff on that or I’ll keep looking for one of his longer poems.

INC on June 3, 2013 at 10:50 PM

OldEnglish on June 3, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Well, according to this, it says:

The bill did not become law, as Pennsylvania’s governor used an executive veto.

However, feel free to laugh at us for still having to pay for this, although with any luck, our state liquor store system will be privatized. I hope, but I won’t believe it until Tom Corbett signs the bill. I think I can speak for almost all Pennsylvanians that we’ve been disappointed far too often.

PatriotGal2257 on June 3, 2013 at 10:56 PM

‘They seek me here, they seek me there,

Those HotAirians seek me everywhere.

Am I in heaven?—Am I in hell?

That depends on what Media Matters tells me to say.’

- PercyB

Resist We Much on June 3, 2013 at 11:02 PM

PatriotGal2257 on June 3, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Thank you for the correction, and that tid-bit on Johnstown. Like all taxes – once introduced ….

OldEnglish on June 3, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Resist We Much on June 3, 2013 at 11:02 PM

You might alter the poem a bit. PercyB may be a sock & have multiple names, but he’s a veteran and a patriot and speaks only for himself. I knew him from another blog years ago before he started tweaking people with his socks. This is an older poem of his.

INC on June 3, 2013 at 11:09 PM

OldEnglish on June 3, 2013 at 11:06 PM

You’re quite welcome. It’s been quiet on the privatization front lately, so I’m readying myself to be disappointed again, when I’m not gnashing my teeth that the 18% Johnstown Flood tax is now funneled into the General Fund.

Johnstown obviously could have been rebuilt 17 times over with the money it raised.

PatriotGal2257 on June 3, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Note to self: Don’t get on RWM’s bad side.

CurtZHP on June 3, 2013 at 10:46 PM

No kidding.

It’s a good thing I have no personality…

trigon on June 3, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Ladies
My little lady did a post for you, have a look see

angrymike on June 3, 2013 at 11:57 PM

More corrupt gov’ officials.

TX-96 on June 4, 2013 at 6:09 AM

Well, who am I supposed to change?

The HotAirians (Pics)

Resist We Much on June 3, 2013 at 9:39 PM

*applauds* Nicely done.

totherightofthem on June 4, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Ladies
My little lady did a post for you, have a look see

angrymike on June 3, 2013 at 11:57 PM

I can see that as a tattoo. . ..

totherightofthem on June 4, 2013 at 9:33 AM