Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads

posted at 8:01 am on June 2, 2013 by Allahpundit

What’s a Sunday-morning chat-show producer to do with a week of news as slow as this one? Simple: Book the regulars to discuss all the regular topics. Chuck Schumer and Mike Rogers will be on NBC to make the case for amnesty and intervening in Syria, respectively; Darrell Issa will hit CNN to talk Holder and the IRS while David Plouffe joins ABC to explain why Scandalmania is a figment of your wingnut imagination; and McCain will appear on CBS to argue the opposite of a slew of prudent policy positions. Look for a little extra dumping on Rand Paul and Ted Cruz from him this week over the debt ceiling.

If you’re going to devote time to any of this, stick with “Fox News Sunday” for their interview with House Judiciary Committee chair Bob Goodlatte. At this point, all the hype about Rubio aside, he might be the single most important member of Congress when it comes to the fate of immigration reform. If he’s starting to cave to the Gang of Eight, we could get an inkling of it this morning. The full line-up is at Politico.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Weekend view of the far left.

They are trying to..drumroll…improve the image of Islamic terrorists. This is so we can move to controlling the right wing nuts.

McCain got me to hate him with the “wacko-bird” comment. You see, it is vital for the left to control terms and definitions and they really exert themselves in that game. It has served them very well with low info voters.

Who notices bodies in the streets when you can call the perps something other than what they are? They want their perps to be..victims!

They are going nuts since the right hasn’t been helping as a bad influence. They just nailed Sheriff Arpaio with a federal judge for profiling. But that wasn’t enough.

I think they have been after TSA to mess up and border patrol is probably next.

IlikedAUH2O on June 2, 2013 at 9:57 AM

So HAL comes here gloating about stealing an election ? Then HAL claims the majority of people share his ideology? Cannot even be consistent.

CW on June 2, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I am off to church and then back to the sanctity of my right wing extremist compound to get some seeds in the ground. (Folks, nothing is as fun as a gigantic garden these days for some reason. I digress.)

Please don’t let the trolls win. If they exchange, that’s one thing. If they thread bomb like Liam said and then jerk off to how many unanswered comments they generates is another.

Their president is a crook. While inept at the things he honestly pushed like the green energy initiatives, he is clearly and overtly using the full power of the government and governmental agencies to oppress us, his political opponents. obama fails for many reasons.

That makes for better discussion than the filth that trolls this place. They are a constant parade of human debris.

hawkdriver on June 2, 2013 at 9:58 AM

CW on June 2, 2013 at 9:57 AM

All the trolls hope we forget things they have posted before. That’s why they freak and get prissy and p*ssy when one of us posts something they once wrote on another thread.

Liam on June 2, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Jaibones on June 2, 2013 at 8:28 AM

…btw…who let you take a break from your weekly synopsis of those appearing on the Sunday bullsh!t shows?…you know we look for it… as a weekly feature!

KOOLAID2 on June 2, 2013 at 10:00 AM

The HALs would prefer not to talk about the subjects at hands. This Administration is as scandalous at they come and Obama’s red line was a joke.

CW on June 2, 2013 at 10:01 AM

CW on June 2, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Obama never thought he would be challenged on it.

Liam on June 2, 2013 at 10:02 AM

CW on June 2, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Obama never thought he would be challenged on it.

Liam on June 2, 2013 at 10:02 AM

On the way out I will say the man does not rate having his name capitalized. I think it would be great to show our unity by not doing it.

To me, he is obama.

hawkdriver on June 2, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Obama never thought he would be challenged on it.

Liam on June 2, 2013 at 10:02 AM

In His mental universe, all lines are equal.

cheers

eon

eon on June 2, 2013 at 10:10 AM

To me, he is obama.

hawkdriver on June 2, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I can go with that!

Nice touch!

Liam on June 2, 2013 at 10:10 AM

…than the filth that trolls this place. They are a constant parade of human debris.

hawkdriver on June 2, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Debris? I’d prefer to label them “flotsam” and “jetsam” the usual cu5rude from a sunken ship–in this case the USS Liberal (a replica of the old Stalinist era ship with two port sides.)

Don L on June 2, 2013 at 10:10 AM

hawkdriver on June 2, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I am sure there has always been corruption of some sort in the government (far too many have gotten wealthy) but now it seems systemic and they are proud of it. You can’t fire anyone, let alone send them to jail.

Cindy Munford on June 2, 2013 at 10:10 AM

cheers

eon

eon on June 2, 2013 at 10:10 AM

~clink~

obama does not anticipate being questioned, let alone challenged. His ego prevents him from from grasping the idea.

I once read from some Hollywood type, “Never believe your own hype.”

Liam on June 2, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I just heard Goodlatte and it sounded like, in so many words, that he doesn’t want a pathway to citizenship.

TxAnn56 on June 2, 2013 at 9:30 AM

For once, Boehner’s leave-it-to-the-chairman model may help stop this disaster. And Goodlatte might encourage a few others to tell Mr. Rubio what he can do with his lies.

EastofEden on June 2, 2013 at 10:14 AM

(a replica of the old Stalinist era ship with two port sides.)

Don L on June 2, 2013 at 10:10 AM

The same way, if Hillary were to open a chicken franchise like KFC, her buckets would include only left wings.

Liam on June 2, 2013 at 10:14 AM

McCain’s kid got married last night. He couldn’t take the day off?

Blake on June 2, 2013 at 10:15 AM

The Unbearable Incompetence of the Far Left

You know how people line up for metal checks at airports? The lines go to scanners and run side by side at larger airports.

There were two girls in parallel lines. Two young, moderately attractive, white girls.

One was dressed up and looked like the VP of college Republicans somewhere. I thought I saw her somewhere a long time ago as a far left nut. I mean far left from the public posture of even this administration.

The other had herself dressed up in this comical Islam wrap. I say comical since if you know Muslims, or have visited over there, you are familiar with the fabric and cut of real Islamic outfits for females from over there. They have a quality and really don’t look all that bad. Well, the second was clearly an ersatz Muslim female. The stuff she was wearing looked like a high school drama club paid for the outfit. Worse even than that Marathon bomber’s widow. Yech!

The hope of these two was that the hapless TSA guys would jump on the gal in the Islamist outfit while the “Republican” had goodness knows what in her bag. Then they make a propaganda statement, possibly with the help of a friendly member of TSA brass.

Ha! TSA did not fall for it and the “Republican” gal was upset to see me behind her.

I told her that if anything started, I would ruin the thing for them by telling TSA, the media and anyone else who would listen what their gambit was. That it was a setup was my guess. I shall never know.

She assured me that they weren’t up to anything before cussing me and walking off with a screener. She will not forget me though I wish she would.

Bill Ayers and sorts like this should not have dangerous or adult materials or be allowed to vote, let alone be lecturing or teaching others.

IlikedAUH2O on June 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Cindy Munford on June 2, 2013 at 10:10 AM

…my bride told me the other day that the sale of US Postal properties that are being closed around the countries in their cost savings attempt…will be handled by a company fronted by Nancy Pelosi’s husband?…millions in commissions…anybody else hear of it?…if so…where is the politburo press?

KOOLAID2 on June 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Cindy Munford on June 2, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Hey Cindy, saw your comment on the way out. Maybe. In my 35+ years of politics though, I’ve never seen this level of corruption. I’ve never seen such an obvious abuse of power to attack political opponents. obama makes Nixon look like Diogenes of Sinope.

Must go or will miss services.

Later all.

hawkdriver on June 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM

McCain’s kid got married last night. He couldn’t take the day off?

Blake on June 2, 2013 at 10:15 AM

One from his first marriage, or the one after he cheated on his wife to marry a rich woman?

Liam on June 2, 2013 at 10:19 AM

…….
IlikedAUH2O on June 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Love it.

CW on June 2, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Cindy Munford on June 2, 2013 at 10:10 AM

AKA Chicago on the Potomac. And the Ohio, too, since that’s where Cincinnati, and its IRS office, reside.

The difference is most of us have always known that most big city governments are corrupt. It’s the nature of a system that is dependent upon cronyism first, last, and always. (Working for a regional crime lab, I got to see it in several jurisdictions.)

But we are supposed to be protected from the consequences of this sort of criminality at the Federal level by the Constitution and Bill of Rights. In fact, the latter was written basically to ensure this. Yes, the Founders were familiar with corruption in high places; that was the definition of British rule in the Colonies, and anyway they knew their classics. (cf. Cicero, Seneca, et al.)

But they forgot one deadly detail. The system only works so long as those on top, and in the bureaucracy, agree to abide by it.

Once they decide to ignore the rules, as this administration and its bureaucratic foot soldiers have done, that protection vanishes as though it had never been.

I don’t know what the answer is. (Well, I know one answer, but I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t get past the filters- and I have no particular desire to emulate either Monmouth or Cromwell.)

What I know is that this may be the most dangerous time in this nation’s existence. As a past President put it, the last time we faced such an incipient trial;

All the armies of Europe, Asia and Africa combined, with all the treasure of the earth (our own excepted) in their military chest; with a Buonaparte for a commander, could not by force, take a drink from the Ohio, or make a track on the Blue Ridge, in a trial of a thousand years… At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide.

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred. You cannot build character and courage by taking away people’s initiative and independence. You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.

– Abraham Lincoln

The present state of affairs in Washington, D.C., tells me that this lesson has been forgotten. At least, by our President and his adherents. Which, considering his professed admiration for Lincoln, is extremely strange.

clear ether

eon

eon on June 2, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I am sure there has always been corruption of some sort in the government…

Cindy Munford on June 2, 2013 at 10:10 AM

There’s always the latent corruption that comes as a natural consequence of participating in human nature which “good” people take pains to suppress in favor of what conscience and sincere faith will indicate. Power tends to aggravate the natural tendency towards corruption but this is a level of corruption we have not heretofore seen.

As the Bible indicates, there is “evil” and then again, there is “wicked”. We are in the wicked phase.

Cleombrotus on June 2, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Just spent a few hours reading most the Nov 6th Hot Air election result archives. The commentary sections from start to finish is GOLD I tell ya.

HotAirLib on June 2, 2013 at 8:46 AM

HAL confirms Hooked on Phonics, all be it slow, does work…

hillsoftx on June 2, 2013 at 10:29 AM

The Democratic congressman on “This Week”, talking about the affidavit to investigate the reporter James Rosen, seems to think the law can be twisted to suit the Obama admin’s purposes. They want to investigate national security leaks, so in the affidavit they say James Rosen is a potential co-conspirator and a flight risk, but then later say they never had any intention of prosecuting him. Doesn’t a warrant require that you investigate and then go where the evidence, and law, takes you?

For the Obama admin, the law is a bauble, an accessory, an affectation which is secondary to their intentions to do whatever they desire to do.

Paul-Cincy on June 2, 2013 at 10:35 AM

HotLips on June 2, 2013 at 8:46 AM

HAL confirms Hooked on Phonics, all be it slow, does work…

hillsoftx on June 2, 2013 at 10:29 AM

…and we know what HotLips does…with his pants free time!

KOOLAID2 on June 2, 2013 at 10:43 AM

KOOLAID2 on June 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I thought he did restaurants and vineyards. I am sure he is quite the Renaissance man. The press won’t say anything because it is probably not explicitly illegal and they like(?) the Pelosis. But you couldn’t open a paper for eight years without seeing the name Halliburton and all it was suppose to imply.

Cindy Munford on June 2, 2013 at 10:47 AM

McCain…our spokesmen..His friends..trolls and wacko birds..
How many rank and file voters watch the Sunday talking heads. Wonder why there are LIV’s.

ANNOUNCER: What does Barack Obama’s running mate say about Barack Obama?

ABC’S GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: You were asked, “Is he ready?” You said, “I think he can be ready but right now, I don’t believe he is. The presidency is not something that lends itself to on-the-job training.”

JOE BIDEN: I think that I stand by the statement.

ANNOUNCER: And what does he say about John McCain?

BIDEN: I would be honored to run with or against John McCain, because I think the country would be better off. — Biden Quoted In McCain Ad

“I have a lifetime of experience that I will bring to the White House. I know Senator McCain has a lifetime of experience that he will bring to the White House. And Senator Obama has a speech he gave in 2002.” — Hillary Clinton.

bazil9 on June 2, 2013 at 10:52 AM

…and we know what HotLips does…with his pants free time!

KOOLAID2 on June 2, 2013 at 10:43 AM

HotLips comments in the vault Are pure Gold…actually real gems.

Example..

If you are talking about trying to institute a universal background check that prevents crazy people from getting guns to kill us, YES i am happy with him.
If you are talking about rolling out a health care plan that hopefully will lead way to a single payer system, Yes i am happy with him.
If you are talking about instructing the IRS to target the crazy anti America tea party groups that are doing all they can to set this country back, Yes i am happy with him.
If you are talking about him firing some IRS hack to make believe he really respects the views of these irrelevant tea billies, Yes i am happy with him.
HotAirLib on May 16, 2013 at 11:07 PM

bazil9 on June 2, 2013 at 10:55 AM

KOOLAID2 on June 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Close, it’s actually Feinstein’s husband I believe.

whbates on June 2, 2013 at 11:00 AM

bazil9 on June 2, 2013 at 10:55 AM

…you are THE GEM!…HotLips is a GERM!

KOOLAID2 on June 2, 2013 at 11:03 AM

HotAirLib on June 2, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Trolls that blatantly try to hijack a thread to a completely and totally unrelated topic sometimes get banned on HA.

Too bad the HA PTB only selectively enforce that rule.

They seem to make an exception for stupidity, idiocy, and low IQ.

farsighted on June 2, 2013 at 11:04 AM

eon on June 2, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I think what worries me most is that good people who are wealthy (define wealthy) or wage payers will be beat down by the constant vilification. I don’t see a happy outcome by the lose of God and community which is what I see all around me.

Cindy Munford on June 2, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Cleombrotus on June 2, 2013 at 10:28 AM

My problem is that wicked seems to be a feature not a bug.

Cindy Munford on June 2, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Close, it’s actually Feinstein’s husband I believe.

whbates on June 2, 2013 at 11:00 AM

…you’re right…Richard Blum…husband of Frankenstein Face!…bride was insisting it was the pen!s part of the Pelosi family…so I had to look for it.

KOOLAID2 on June 2, 2013 at 11:10 AM

HotLips comments in the vault Are pure Gold…actually real gems.

Example…

bazil9 on June 2, 2013 at 10:55 AM

And then there is this classic idiotic rant.

… you are constantly trying to reason with the ultra fringe crazies on this blog… do not waste your time trying to engage these fools… most are fringe crazies… one or two of them …haven’t ventured into insane land.

HotAirLib on April 20, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Followed soon after by…

You don’t change minds hauling personal insults with those you disagree with.

HotAirLib on April 20, 2013 at 6:44 PM

And then…

lololol if you think my goal here is to change minds.

HotAirLib on April 20, 2013 at 6:58 PM

farsighted on June 2, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I like replying to trolls, it’s fun. But when current life is so sad for them that they must take a walk down a very long memory lane for any kind of satisfaction, it’s just sad. Sad for them, anyway, I’m goofing on it but it’s too boring to bother acknowledging.

Cindy Munford on June 2, 2013 at 11:15 AM

farsighted on June 2, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Oh yeah..lol
HAL’s greatest hits from his album Daisy.
There are many…I see more of his own words coming back to bite his a$$ in the future. ;)

bazil9 on June 2, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Too bad the HA PTB only selectively enforce that rule.

They seem to make an exception for stupidity, idiocy, and low IQ.

farsighted on June 2, 2013 at 11:04 AM

That used to be the case. I distinctively remember there was something in regards to thread jacking in the old Terms of Use. I just reread them and that phrase is no longer in there. The Terms of Use were “Effective & Last Modified December 31, 2012“, I’m just guessing that had something to do with Townhall/Salem Communications but I could be wrong.

Thread jacking will not get a troll banned as we have all seen ever since the elections of 2012.

That is why we have to put up with all of the trolls lately. When was the last time anyone remembers a troll being banned????
Bueller, bueller, bueller.

Sad days.

D-fusit on June 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Did I miss the article about voter fraud? Is it possible that this will be another one of those instances where the Right tried to tell people what was going on but it was just to stupid to be considered?

Cindy Munford on June 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM

My problem is that wicked seems to be a feature not a bug.

Cindy Munford on June 2, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Count yourself one of the fortunate ones. At least you SEE it. Now you can prepare yourself and your loved ones.

Cleombrotus on June 2, 2013 at 11:40 AM

D-fusit on June 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM

If I had to guess, that was probably taken out due to the QOTD thread. It’s not to long into it that we aren’t all over the map and all of us would be banned.

Cindy Munford on June 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM

D-fusit on June 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Thanks for the info.

There was a troll banned in the fall, IIRC, for trying to hijack a completely unrelated thread to the topic of Romney’s Mormonism. Which is why I brought it up.

I didn’t know the rules were changed recently.

farsighted on June 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Cindy Munford on June 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I thought it was common knowledge that the QOTD thread is actually an end-of-the-day open topic thread. That the primary purpose of the quotes is to kick off the thread. It is then permitted to drift and wander wherever it goes, without much moderation because the PTB are no longer around.

farsighted on June 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Just spent a few hours staring at the O’bama poster I have on the ceiling above my bed. Then I smoked a cigarette.

HotLips on June 2, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Edited for Accuracy.

Del Dolemonte on June 2, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Just over 50% of America prefer our ideology over yours. But only 45% of America approve of the job we are doing.

HotLips on June 2, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Edited for Accuracy.

Del Dolemonte on June 2, 2013 at 12:18 PM

farsighted on June 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I don’t know if that was the intention but it sure is how it goes. I just wish I could stay awake and enjoy it more.

Cindy Munford on June 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Just over 50% of the 57.5% of all eligible voters who bothered to vote in 2012 prefer our ideology over yours. But only 45% of America approve of the job we are doing.

HotLips on June 2, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Edited for Accuracy.

Del Dolemonte on June 2, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Edited for even more accuracy.

Our government is not selected by a majority. It is selected by a plurality. Usually a plurality of less than 60% of eligible voters.

In 1993 Billy Jeff was elected by 43% of the 55% of eligible voters who voted. Less than 24% of eligible voters actually voted for him.

We do not have a “majority rules” government. We have a plurality rules government.

As usual, HotLip’s ability to critically analyze data does not even rise to HS level. He must be one of the 70-80% of HS drop-outs who voted for the Obamessiah.

farsighted on June 2, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Close, it’s actually Feinstein’s husband I believe.

whbates on June 2, 2013 at 11:00 AM

You are correct.

What would Sunday mornings be without “Jihad John” McCain?

bw222 on June 2, 2013 at 1:14 PM

McCain needs to change parties or states.

Schadenfreude on June 2, 2013 at 1:55 PM

HAL, Obama is illegitimate in his 2nd term. It’s the scandal of all scandals, you tyrannical thugs.

Schadenfreude on June 2, 2013 at 1:56 PM

HAL, this is for you.

Schadenfreude on June 2, 2013 at 2:31 PM

What did Stephanie Cutter know about the IRS scandal, and when did she know it….

UnderstandingisPower on June 2, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Did anyone see Rove on ABC? Can the RNC or someone else muzzle him? Seriously. He does the cause absolutely NO good.

I’m just now catching up on the shows on my DVR.

Midwestprincesse on June 2, 2013 at 4:33 PM

If there is one man in all America who could have made an even worse President than Barack Obama, surly it is John McCain.

VorDaj on June 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM