Eric Holder’s relationship with Congress, and the truth

posted at 11:01 am on June 2, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

Some days it gets kind of hard to keep up with all the Eric Holder news. It seems that not a day goes by without some new story involving Obama’s top cop, and rarely is it a report of him doing his job brilliantly. (I’m sorry… did I say “rarely” there?) A number of these news reports involve the multiple times that Holder has been called to testify before Congress and the frequently baffling comments which follow. But how has he handled himself when providing testimony under oath? Investors Business Daily provides a useful stroll down memory lane this weekend which should keep you up to date on Holder’s “complicated” relationship with the truth when it comes to Congress, and it goes back quite a ways before the Journalists / Fox News debacle.

They kick things off with the New Black Panther Party, with all due apologies to Forrest Gump.

That the House Judiciary Committee is investigating whether Attorney General Eric Holder lied under oath during his May 15 testimony on Department of Justice (DOJ) surveillance of reporters comes as no surprise. People have forgotten about the New Black Panther case, perhaps the most clear-cut case of voter suppression and intimidation ever. On Election Day 2008, New Black Panther Party members in military garb were videotaped intimidating voters outside a Philadelphia polling place.

The slam-dunk prosecution of these thugs was dropped by Holder’s Justice Department. When asked why, Holder, on March 1, 2011, testified before the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science and Related Agencies that the “decisions made in the New Black Panther Party case were made by career attorneys in the department.”

Holder lied, for the decisions were made by political appointees. J. Christian Adams, a former career DOJ attorney in the Voting Rights Section, testified before the U.S. Civil Rights Commission that it was Associate Attorney General Thomas Perrelli, an Obama political appointee, who overruled a unanimous recommendation for prosecution by Adams and his associates.

How about the Fast and Furious disaster?

“When did you first know about the program officially I believe called Fast and Furious? To the best of your knowledge, what date?” House Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa asked Holder in sworn testimony on May 3, 2011. “I’m not sure of the exact date, but I probably heard about Fast and Furious for the first time over the last few weeks,” was Holder’s response.

Holder lied: A July 2010 memo shows Michael Walther, head of the National Drug Intelligence Center, told Holder that straw buyers in Fast and Furious “are responsible for the purchase of 1,500 firearms that were then supplied to the Mexican drug trafficking cartels.”

There’s more, so you’ll want to study the entire thing to have the full list of mendacity laden appearances on his record. But what does this mean for Holder? He was already found in contempt once, and it certainly didn’t seem to slow him down. But if this turns out to be a verifiable case of perjury, then all bets are off. It makes staying on the job out of the question, and jail time suddenly shows up on the table. But… you’d have to get a conviction. Is that even possible in the current climate?

Comments

Why should Holder worry about ‘the truth’. He’s been deceitful all his life.

GarandFan on June 2, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Dirty, filthy liar. And those are his “good” traits.

VegasRick on June 2, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Isn’t this the same jerk who claims there is “disenfranchisement” all over this nation? Everything WithHolder does has helped to do the same to conservative Americans.

BTW – These shenanigans went into high gear when the DemoRats lost the House in 2010.

IT’S ALL 100% POLITICAL!

honsy on June 2, 2013 at 11:11 AM

A conviction???

I can see it now..Holder is his own prosecutor, Obama is the judge. Empty Chair for defense.

Holder: Your Honor, I request that the charges be dropped due to lack of evidence as my investigation of myself revealed nothing more than that I’m doing a hell of a job in this nation of cowards.

Obama: CASE DISMISSED WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE!!!

I’m also awarding the defendant a lifetime of well paying, do nothing employment.

See you all at the clubhouse, we tee off at 11 am.

BigWyo on June 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Sadly, no.

rbj on June 2, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Eric Holder’s relationship with Congress, and the truth

…its almost comedic!

KOOLAID2 on June 2, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Is that even possible in the current climate?

That’s a politically correct way of asking if it is possible because he is black.

And no, it is not possible.

BacaDog on June 2, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Holder’s relationship with the truth is like Obama’s relationship with a new born baby that escapes the abortionist: it too must be destroyed.

Don L on June 2, 2013 at 11:15 AM

There is no stronger wall against justice than the apathy of time. Dems use this well.

tomas on June 2, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Why not lie and lie often, there is no consequence!

Cindy Munford on June 2, 2013 at 11:19 AM

He’ll throw himself under the bus eventually to protect “the won”.
Then the LSM will tell us it’s time to “Move on” and forget about Bengazi, IRS, Fast & Furious(already forgotten), recess appointments, HHS lobbying, (I could go on!), etc. etc….

LeftCoastRight on June 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM

How about the Fast and Furious disaster?

You all are back debating this? Lololololol. Got you your president Romney and Senate Majority Leader McConnell last November didn’t it?

HotAirLib on June 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM

HOlder should go no matter what, but what would we get in his place?

Blake on June 2, 2013 at 11:24 AM

HotLips on June 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM

…GFY!…then chew on your nub!

KOOLAID2 on June 2, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Holder is Above the Law because he’s a Black Democrat.

HotLips on June 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Edited for Accuracy.

Del Dolemonte on June 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM

When there are no consequences to being found in contempt, why should it slow him down?

All the President’s Men and Women won’t take any Congressional investigation, hearing, subpoena, or contempt citation seriously if they can write it off to partisan politics and ignore it all, especially if the MSM lets them get away with it.

Holder has already ignored a contempt citation, with no consequences. Now he has lied to Congress and federal judges, officials of both of the other branches of the government. He has even lied to the so-called fourth branch, the press. Lerner, an Executive branch government employee, has taken the fifth and refuses to answer questions from the People’s representatives about how she did her tax payer funded job, without any significant consequence so far. Other IRS employees claim they do not remember anything when questioned by Congress. The State department is ignoring subpoenas. Hillary! screeches “what difference does it make” instead of answering questions from Congress, and gets away with it.

We are heading for a Constitutional crisis. Or at least we should be. Because the Executive branch is arrogantly out of control and abusing its power for political purposes and to suppress political opposition. It is giving its middle finger to the Legislative branch. And it is defying and lying to the Judicial branch.

farsighted on June 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Holder has the complete backing and support of the administration whatever he does.

He’s not going anywhere.

He does what the administration tells him to do. He’ll be well rewarded after January 2017.

sultanp on June 2, 2013 at 11:33 AM

…that is the big problem!…and the R’s have no ba11s because of it!

KOOLAID2 on June 2, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Holder has been the author of any number of underhanded procedures and activities. Remember he was the “backdoor” attorney for the Marc Rich pardon in the Clenis administration.
Wikipedia:

Federal Prosecutor Mary Jo White was appointed to investigate. She stepped down before the investigation was finished and was replaced by James Comey. Comey was critical of Clinton’s pardons and Eric Holder’s pardon recommendation.[16] According to Rich’s attorney, Holder advised to circumvent standard procedures and to submit the pardon petition directly to the White House.[17]

ExpressoBold on June 2, 2013 at 11:37 AM

“Though this nation has proudly thought of itself as an ethnic melting pot, in things racial we have always been and continue to be, in too many ways, essentially a nation of cowards.” — Attorney General Eric Holder

bazil9 on June 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Holder is on Obama’s list of pardons just think of what Obama is going to let back out of the street. Who says that money can’t buy you anything?

cmptrnerd on June 2, 2013 at 11:41 AM

farsighted on June 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Exactly

gophergirl on June 2, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Get a conviction? We’d have to find someone to prosecute him first. Since that responsibility falls to -ta da! – the DoJ, there is zero chance of a prosecution ever occurring.

rcpjr on June 2, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Holder’s relationship to Congress should be one of pants-wetting fear. His relationship to the truth is, at most, a dim distant fantasy.

platypus on June 2, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Eric Holder’s relationship with Congress, and the truth

Simple: EVASION.

Why? Because he can, and nobody “in power” has the moral courage to stop him …

ShainS on June 2, 2013 at 11:46 AM

HotAirLib on June 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I so look forward to your tears when all of you scumbags get your comeuppance. Either way this thing goes you will lose and your cries for help will go unnoticed.

VegasRick on June 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM

We need to all chip in and buy HAL a T-shirt with the logo “Seeking Relevance”. Consider it welfare.

Holder has about as much relationship with truth as I do with..Well, gee, let me think…as with HAL!

We bother to speak, but we can’t stand each other.

Liam on June 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Of course not. He’s black.

Harbingeing on June 2, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Watch him closely . . . he will obfuscate, lie, quibble, whine, slobber and deny reality. Don’t let him slip off the hook.

rplat on June 2, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Liam on June 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I know you are joking but I will give NOTHING to the likes of hal and it’s scumbag ilks. I use to let things slide and put it off as just “know not what they do” type of thinking but after this last election (stolen) and the lies and gloating over the lies I am done with that thinking. I will try to punish as hard and as many of them as I can.

VegasRick on June 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I will try to punish as hard and as many of them as I can.

VegasRick on June 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I take it you’re pretty much fed up with manure sammiches.

platypus on June 2, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I will try to punish as hard and as many of them as I can.

VegasRick on June 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Same thing I’m after. The trolls here are outsiders, unwelcome and inimical to the good senses and goodwill of decent people. Like in the real word, we have to tolerate them because we’re forced to.

Liberals are like that panhandler you see every morning at the bus stop. Give him a quarter one morning, and he thinks he’s your best buddy and wants more, every morning.

My view of liberals is that Spot has been fed so long at the kitchen table he has now become a nuisance and needs to be put in the yard.

Liam on June 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I take it you’re pretty much fed up with manure sammiches.

platypus on June 2, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Yep. And I have always been a live and let live type of person but now they are trying to cram their crap down me and my family’s throat. Pushback is a beyotch.

VegasRick on June 2, 2013 at 12:04 PM

VegasRick on June 2, 2013 at 12:04 PM

As it is said, “Beware the wrath of a patient man.”

Liam on June 2, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Liam on June 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM

They have pushed it too far. Every day some new bs to curtail our way of life and our freedoms. Like I said earlier, this is unsustainable and will end one way or another and the dependency crowd like hal will be crying for help. Not from me.

VegasRick on June 2, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Pardons. Shudder. I cant’ wait to see if Obama pardons that double cop killer Peletier.

Blake on June 2, 2013 at 12:08 PM

HAL….Brain Terry’s mother says go #@### yourself.

LaRepublican on June 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM

We all know holder should be in prison for half of what he has done. The fact that he and the other scumbags that lie to congress get away with it everyday just emboldens them to do more crap to us.

VegasRick on June 2, 2013 at 12:11 PM

VegasRick on June 2, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Agreed. Holder is a top example of the form.

I’m tired of me and people like me being slandered all the time. The Left has given no quarter, so if they ask for it now, I will give none. Not only have they pushed too far, they have done it in every area of our lives.

It’s time they stopped at along last. they can can do it on their own, or they can be made to stop. Then again, when have three year olds been able to stop unless om or dad made them?

Liam on June 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM

HAL….Brain Terry’s mother says go #@### yourself.

LaRepublican on June 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I pray that there is a special place in hell for all of these scumbags. Dear old Mom and Dad taught me not to hate. These folks make it impossible. Sorry Mom and Dad.

VegasRick on June 2, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Sorry Mom and Dad.

VegasRick on June 2, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Liberals should apologize to your parents instead of you. Liberals are the ones who made their teaching so difficult to follow any more.

Liam on June 2, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Agreed. Holder is a top example of the form.

Liam on June 2, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Yep, that’s where I’m at as well. I know a lot of good people that are moving from the “oh well, what can you do” to the “we need to do something” mindset. I don’t know if it’s the TEA party or what groups can save us but we all need to be getting involved even further.

VegasRick on June 2, 2013 at 12:19 PM

VegasRick on June 2, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I think it starts with just standing up and saying no more. I know since Obama has been elected, I’ve done and said things I never ever thought I would. No longer the goodie two shoes who does and says all the “proper” things.

The gay lobby is small but really really loud and look at their influence. We have to be 1000x that loud.

gophergirl on June 2, 2013 at 12:25 PM

gophergirl on June 2, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Agreed. Where do we begin? I love the TEA party folks but the lsm has so smeared them that I think a lot of the liv’s just tune out when they hear “TP”.

VegasRick on June 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM

How about the Fast and Furious disaster?

HotAirLib on June 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Lefties are so sick. No interest in the truth, lives lost, etc.. It’s all politics all the time. Absolutely no desire to see the country ran in a way that represents common human decency.. Of course we were only interested in F&F so we could get turtle neck and Mr. Socialized Medicine in positions of power. Really?

Your grasp of how the right thinks and conducts themselves isn’t even tenuous, it is non-existant.

preallocated on June 2, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Holder’s gonna resign. It’s inevitable. And he’ll go out whining and weeping about teh racism. I don’t want him to resign. That takes all of the heat off of Zero, who is Holder’s partner in crime. I want him staying right there, being what he is, and dirtying up his preezy day after day.

Rational Thought on June 2, 2013 at 12:32 PM

It’s not complicated. Holder and the truth are unacquainted with each other.

myiq2xu on June 2, 2013 at 12:34 PM

gophergirl on June 2, 2013 at 12:25 PM

No kidding. Their annual Pride Parade Pervert Recruitment March start here in an hour.

Liam on June 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Chuckie Schumer was on the Sunday circuit today laughing about Fast-n-Furious as if it were some kind of joke.

We’ll see you in 2014 Chuck, and show you what a mid-term can do.

HopeHeFails on June 2, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Judging from the MSM it’s pretty clear that under an Obama Administration … there are simply no homeless people in America any more.

J_Crater on June 2, 2013 at 1:12 PM

VegasRick on June 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Low info voters may tune out the TEA party, and they always will. But some fraction will become more informed and those voters can be attracted to the TEA party. Holder’s lying is just symptomatic of what’s wrong in Washington. They think they are the rulers, and we, the serfs, both parties. The TEA party has the potential to redo the cast in Washington. That’s what I am doing (also totally fed up). I contribute to the TEA party, work for it, and no others D’s or R’s. Short of armed revolution, they are all we’ve got.

tngmv on June 2, 2013 at 1:39 PM

J. Edgar Holder is untouchable.

When your best friend has the power to pardon any and every crime you commit, what fear do you have of anyone or any rule?

BobMbx on June 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM

…funny…that libfreeorgan didn’t make it to this thread!…you think he has one eye?

KOOLAID2 on June 2, 2013 at 2:31 PM

HOLDER=JAIL

TX-96 on June 2, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Please do not refer to Holder as a “cop”. It is extremely insulting to men and women everywhere who actually do enforce the law. And obey it.

sgtstogie on June 2, 2013 at 4:04 PM

His relationship is that he wouldn’t know truth if it walked up to him wearing a neon sign and accompanied by a brass band.

MelonCollie on June 2, 2013 at 6:43 PM

farsighted on June 2, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I agree with your qualifier regarding the possibility of a Constitutional crisis: ‘Or at least we should be’. Yes, we should be. In a just, unfallen world, mendacious schemers like Holder would be held to account, and so would Lois Lerner, and so would Valerie Jarrett, and so would the President, but they won’t. The President has used his unique ‘first Black President’ status as a waiver for every Chicago Way move he’s made so far and he will continue to do so for the remainder of his term. He knows the media desperately want him to succeed and have been spinning themselves dizzy to shape that perception. Historians will do the same for his legacy, at least in the short term. Who knows? In a few decades, maybe the amount of melanin in one’s makeup won’t matter, and skin color will be seen as the absolute irrelevance it is, at least insofar as policy and governance are concerned.

Which brings me to the greatest tragedy of the Obama Presidency. Because of his unique status, it was within Barack Obama’s power to use his gifts to heal the racial divisions within this country, to salve the wounds, to assuage the bitterness. Instead, he has used every opportunity to exacerbate and exploit those divisions for his own short-term political gain. Race and class are his weapons. His worldview, shaped by an upbringing steeped in Hagel and Marx, depend on those weapons. Like I said: tragic.

Nobody goes to jail, not those who orchestrated Fast & Furious, not those who implemented the IRS targeting campaign, not those who invoked the Fifth or outright lied to Congress. No one.

troyriser_gopftw on June 2, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Correction: Hegel, not Hagel. One is known for his great intellect. The other is the Secretary of Defense.

troyriser_gopftw on June 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM

It’s even harder to get a conviction of perjury when those that head up these committees are afraid of calling a lie a lie. Holder has lied to every committee he has testified before, and when he is done he thumbs his nose at them and walks off. Until the Legislative Branch of this government grows a backbone, it will be business as usual.

savage24 on June 2, 2013 at 10:50 PM

He can keep up these lying shenanigans exactly up until the Dems lose control of the Senate in Jan 2015. Reality will set in and the poop will begin to hit the fan for Obozo’s corrupt admin. That’s why they are shooting so hard to reclaim the House…the Senate is a virtual shoe-in to flip to the R’s in 2014. If Holder doesn’t leave well before that time, he will drag down O down with him. I say call him before a committee every week, make him a national spectacle and keep the flames turned up high on his sorry clown’s ass.

starman on June 3, 2013 at 12:27 AM

HotAirLib on June 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM

It probably would have had the IRS not suppressed the Republican vote through the 2010 and 2012 elections.

Theophile on June 3, 2013 at 1:40 AM

You can’t handle the TRUTH!

RedManBlueState on June 3, 2013 at 10:13 AM

This is the kind of BS you’d expect to hear about in Russia or Iran… political persecution (pure and simple).

RedManBlueState on June 3, 2013 at 10:16 AM

“rarely is it a report of him doing his job brilliantly”

This statement gives Holder way too much credit. Revising it to “never is it a report of him doing his job” would be much more accurate!

rockncoal on June 3, 2013 at 11:05 AM