Protesters explain: Kochs must not buy LA Times because … tolerance

posted at 9:21 am on May 31, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Yes, this is like shooting fish in a rain barrel, as Reason TV discovered when it began asking protesters in Los Angeles why the Koch brothers shouldn’t be allowed to buy the Los Angeles Times. Zach Weissmueller finds that either the protesters couldn’t articulate any clear reason why the Kochs would be bad owners, or believe (erroneously) that the Kochs are hard-right activists (they’re actually libertarians).  But the best explanation — by which I mean the most stunningly hypocritical — comes at about the 50-second mark, as one protester explains that it’s all about tolerating other points of view.  As long as they’re reliably liberal, of course.

No, I am not joking:

PROTESTER: We’re at a point in our history where we need to be a little more open-minded. Um, a little bit more liberal on views all across the board.

WEISSMUELLER: [The] Kochs self-describe as libertarian, and they fund a lot of groups that are against the drug war. The LA Times came out against Prop 19, which would have legalized marijuana in LA, and they’ve pushed anti-dispensary measures.  Are you worried that in some sense they would push the LA Times to the left on those kind of issues?

PROTESTER: Um, I believe that regardless of their views, it’s not what the general populace needs.

Aaaaaand there you have the core of the protest.  These people aren’t interested in becoming more open-minded.  They want to control speech in order to allow the general populace only those points of view they need … in the opinion of the protesters.

I have no idea whether the Kochs will get the Tribune Company, or if they even really want it.  The hue and cry over just the notion that the Kochs might own a major newspaper has been in itself a very enlightening experience about the nature of the Tolerance Lords in American society.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Also, being a conservative, I’m resistant to change.

danielreyes on May 31, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Wow.

Your concern trolling isn’t that good, if you were serious.

It’s what I’ve been saying: self-government is passe, the marketplace of ideas is passe. What people (on the left want) is effective/scientific population management. Free action can be tolerated–but not against the “progress” made by scientific population management, if it just puts us back to the “failed policies of the past”.

Axeman on May 31, 2013 at 11:02 AM

^ I can’t do better than that.

flat-out REFUSE to call them progressives.

They are liberals, and the pejorative sticks.

Liam on May 31, 2013 at 10:38 AM

^This!

I cringe when I see posts here by people on our side using the term “Progressives” to describe these leftist thugs !

I have yet to hear a Libnut call one of us on the right a “constitutionalist” or “patriot” so why in the frickin’ hell are we pandering to their requests ? Eff em!! They are still liberals to me …or socialists , marxists whatever, but I will never call them progressive !

cableguy615 on May 31, 2013 at 8:28 PM

They are Progressives, and that’s what you should call them. They are part of the Social Progress Movement — that’s where the “Progressive” part comes from. It doesn’t have anything to do with pandering to their requests, it has to do with binding them to their own ideology. They invented “Liberal” for themselves to get away from the stink of “Progressive” the first time they screwed things up so badly they couldn’t get elected anymore. Now that they’ve made “Liberal” stink, some of them would like to go back to Progressive, but it doesn’t matter if they think they might escape that way.

We need to tie up all the totalitarianism, all the failed policies, all the promiscuity with dictators from the Fascisti to the Soviets to the Tin Pots, all the bad economics and social engineering, all the Abortion, family-planning, Great Society, Utopian dreams of the Social Progress Movement and dump it squarely on every one of their shoulders.

They’re Progressives. That’s just what they are.

By the way — you’re the liberals.

Axe on June 1, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I’d love to see the Koch Family by the LA Times and the rest of the fishwrappers in that newspaper chain. It would make the LibTards squeal like the fascist pigs that they are.

Hell, I might even go back to buying the newspaper if it was owned by Conservatives or Libertarians.

I support Conservative and Libertarian businesses with my wallet – Dominos, Hobby Lobby, Chic-Fil-A……

CatchAll on June 3, 2013 at 7:42 PM

There IS a right way to think act and talk….. As long as you do it the way THEY say you can! Liberals/Progressives have NEVER ever believed in ANY kind of freedom of choice, they are the most oppressive, anti-free people ever to walk this earth.

ActinUpinTexas on June 4, 2013 at 10:24 AM