Maryland school busts deranged student for carrying explosives, a.k.a. five-year-old with cap gun; Update: Did WaPo get it wrong?

posted at 4:01 pm on May 31, 2013 by Allahpundit

Via the Blaze and the Daily Caller. Maybe it was an assault cap gun?

The kid’s been suspended for 10 days. He was interrogated for, no joke, two hours without his parents being there and ended up wetting his pants. Actual sentence from WaPo’s story: “The mother said the principal told her that if the cap gun had been loaded with caps, it would have been deemed an explosive and police would have been called in.”

If the punishment stands, it would become part of the boy’s permanent school record and keep him out of classes the rest of the school year, the family said. He would miss his end-of-year kindergarten program at Dowell Elementary School in Lusby…

According to the family, the boy’s friend had brought a water gun on the bus a day earlier. On Wednesday, unbeknown to his parents, the boy stowed his cap gun — from Frontier Town near Ocean City — inside his backpack as he left for school…

The mother was called by the principal at 10:50 a.m. and was told that her son had the cap gun and pretended to shoot someone on the bus. She said that both the kindergartner and his first-grade sister, sitting nearby on the bus, disputed that account…

“Kids play cowboys and Indians,” [the family's lawyer] said. “They play cops and robbers. You’re talking about a little 5-year-old here.”

The boy’s mother, strangely, doesn’t object to there being “consequences” for his actions, merely to the severity of the punishment. I used to think public ridicule for absurd cases of anti-gun hysteria by school administrators was punishment enough, but if this were my kid I’d be on the phone with half a dozen personal-injury lawyers trying to nail down grounds for a lawsuit. Any tort experts out there want to spitball ideas in the comments? An unfair suspension is one thing, traumatizing a five-year-old by treating him like a criminal for having a toy is something else. How about intentional infliction of emotional distress? Negligent infliction is probably closer to the mark, but it won’t fly as a claim in some jurisdictions. Besides, the touchstone of IIED is the “outrageousness” of the defendant’s action. Slam dunk here, no?

Update (6/3): Someone claiming to be a parent at the same school e-mailed us claiming that WaPo blew what happened entirely out of proportion. You can read his account here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 31, 2013 at 7:29 PM

You support and send your kid to Government School, and then complain about how they handle a kid with a gun/toy gun?

Karmi on May 31, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Toy gun: Bad

‘FVCK THE DRAFT. STOP THE WAR’ jacket: Good

PS: If Dr ZhivBlago pays taxes, especially property taxes, HE IS SUPPORTING THE SCHOOL.

Resist We Much on May 31, 2013 at 8:06 PM

kingsjester on May 31, 2013 at 4:53 PM

We used to have rock fights!!

ladyingray on May 31, 2013 at 8:08 PM

They were these paper things you could throw on the ground and they’d go ‘bang’ and give off a bit of smoke.-yes! I had them..forgot the name..

I never did have a gun to emit them, but my brothers might have — is that what this is??

The whole thing (including the pastry, et al) is bizarre.

Is there a time in America’s future when adults will again become adults and allow children to enjoy their childhood?

jersey taxpayer on May 31, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Amen!

bazil9 on May 31, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I read it, which is why I said parents need to be punished for not controlling their kids. The kid can’t be executed, but under a Capital Crime the parents can. We need a new law for terrible parents who blame their children as an excuse for not controlling them.

Karmi on May 31, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Good lord. Someone who’s obviously never had children telling everyone how important it is to “control” their children. FOAD

Harbingeing on May 31, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Toy gun = BAD

Day after pill = GOOD

ladyingray on May 31, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 31, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Karmi on May 31, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Good try.

No, the part I’m complaining about is mostly the fact that the youngster was held and questioned for such a length of time without the parents being informed, and the part about the kid wetting himself during the interrogation is way over the top. The other part is that this was no big deal to begin with and should have been treated as such.

All they had to do was to confiscate the toy, notify the parents and tell them that the next time the kid brings a toy to school then X will happen. Let the parents take it from there. It was a friggin toy gun, not a real one to begin with, and is not a threat of any kind to anyone. Pretending that it is a threat for some kind of social agenda doesn’t make it so.

And they aren’t “Government Schools”. Those are on Indian reservations and military installations. Good try again.

Good Lord…
I just turned 40. Back in the day, we played with bb guns,cap guns,dart guns,played war, cowboys and Indians..you name it. We all (girls and boys) ran around playing and it was no big deal.
I wanted to buy my nephew a cowboy set (hat,boots,guns,holster) like we all use to have…nope!
Cant find any.
In 20+ yrs..we lost it..I am with Professor Blather. I want my country back.

bazil9 on May 31, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Makes you wonder what little boys played before guns were invented, eh? Lemee think…play jousting, play sword fighting, pretending to hunt and take down wooly mammoths?

And before all our laws and all our religions and all of our great universities laden with great thinkers we had human beings murdering, raping, beating, and stealing from each other and coveting each other’s spouses and possessions.

So glad that the more intellectual and the more righteous amongst us has fixed all that. /s obviously.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 31, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Damn straight RWM-
My property taxes go mainly to public gutter holes..
I have no kids obviously but forced to pay for the fine education they provide and treating 5 yr olds like they are Tamerlan Tsarnaev.

bazil9 on May 31, 2013 at 8:17 PM

We need to ban Pop-Tarts.

BobMbx on May 31, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 31, 2013 at 8:14 PM

And they aren’t “Government Schools”.

You’re kidding yourself.

Karmi on May 31, 2013 at 8:20 PM

We used to have rock fights!!

ladyingray on May 31, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Who new Archie Bunker was a prophet?

Boy the way Glen Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn’t need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days.

BobMbx on May 31, 2013 at 8:20 PM

We used to have rock fights!!

ladyingray on May 31, 2013 at 8:08 PM

What? Did you grow up in Palestine?

arnold ziffel on May 31, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 31, 2013 at 8:14 PM

And they aren’t “Government Schools”.

You’re kidding yourself.

Karmi on May 31, 2013 at 8:20 PM

How so?

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 31, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Oops.

Star Wars: A New Hope is on. See ya.

BobMbx on May 31, 2013 at 8:23 PM

These actions by the public schools are no joke. The damage they do to the child and families is real and will last for ever. A very close friend of mine was in the Maryland National Guard. His son was in the 2nd grade of one of these schools. He tested out with an IQ in the 170′s. He had unlimited potential. His teacher was so anti military that she was certain anyone in the military was violent by nature. Unknown to anyone that teacher made the 2nd grader stand before her every day, take off all his close so she could check for bruises. After several weeks of finding none, his son became totally catatonic with fear of the public school building. We were called into help when he was found hiding under a desk shacking uncontrollable. At that time we found out what the teacher had been doing and suggested that the child stay out of the public school system. The teacher did not give up and continued to file anonymous complaints with child well fair. The school falsified his school records. The teacher had tenure and went on to retire. The child was never able to go back to a public school and now at 32 must live at home with no self esteem and an arrested development.
He was my only son.

jpcpt03 on May 31, 2013 at 8:26 PM

What?! No psychological examination of the troubled kid?! What slouches!!!

John the Libertarian on May 31, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Karmi on May 31, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Damn right I send my kids to public schools as Montana has yet to approve of charter schools, and there are no private schools in my area. But I should add as others have noted for you, I PAY for the public schools as MT funds its schools only thru property taxes and not sales tax … I moved out of a especially liberal district to get my kids to a more rural school. Not that it’s any of your business, but you seem to think everyone’s lives and raising their children is your business but it is not so GTH.

B9
This story struck home to me. If they did this to my boy, Ohhhhh man. I’m in a foul one.
Grrrr.

MontanaMmmm on May 31, 2013 at 8:28 PM

What?! No psychological examination of the troubled kid?! What slouches!!!

John the Libertarian on May 31, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Not to fear..NOW he will need a pysch exam and therapy.

bazil9 on May 31, 2013 at 8:29 PM

B9
Grrrr.

MontanaMmmm on May 31, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I bet!..I keep thinking about my 2yr old little man (nephew)
Proud you took the action you could.

bazil9 on May 31, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Karmi on May 31, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Did you get your law degree from the same law school as NoBrain?

Parents CANNOT be executed for failing to control their children. In fact, the Supreme Court has ruled on several occasions ONLY DEFENDANTS CONVICTED OF MURDER can be executed. (If you want the cites, let me know).

In cases such as these, parents might be negligent, but they are not murderers. Moreover, unless you can prove that the parents conspired with their children to commit first-degree murder and/or actually committed the murder, you will NEVER secure a conviction relative to the parents.

You probably should move to China where the #1 television show is called ‘The Execution Hour.’ Hint: No one gets voted off the capital punishment island at the end of each show…and stealing a piece of candy or bread can land you there.

Resist We Much on May 31, 2013 at 8:31 PM

MontanaMmmm on May 31, 2013 at 8:28 PM

And you called me an idiot…snicker!

Karmi on May 31, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Karmi

Another waste of sequestered carbon?

tom daschle concerned on May 31, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Well it looks like our “veteran” troll who’s been around here a while likes to derail threads. Is that a banworthy offense, or should we keep the young fellow talking?

Because, sooner or later, he’s bound to stick his foot in it. They all do.

CurtZHP on May 31, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Not to fear..NOW he will need a pysch exam and therapy.

bazil9 on May 31, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Wow. No kidding. Poor little tyke.

John the Libertarian on May 31, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Not to fear..NOW he will need a pysch exam and therapy.

bazil9 on May 31, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Wow. No kidding. Poor little tyke.

John the Libertarian on May 31, 2013 at 8:37 PM

My heart genuinely breaks for this kid. When word gets out among his classmates, you just know some little twerp is going to rub it in every chance they get. Not to mention how he’s going to feel looking at that thug of a principal every morning on his way in. I hope she never gets a good night’s sleep for the rest of her professional life. May she forget what she looks like for not being able to look in a mirror.

And his spineless parents will likely do nothing to push back.

CurtZHP on May 31, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Resist We Much on May 31, 2013 at 8:31 PM

You’re right…much better for the individual Citizen to do away with them while they’re engaged in the act of stealing rather than giving the State that much power.

So what we opt for is giving the State power through a different route through a huge “corrections” bureaucracy that we can no longer afford and doesn’t correct anyone.

The only reason we tolerate thieves is that we can afford the loss of property because it can be replaced. Wonder how nice folks will be if they’re trying to steal that last piece of bread out of their starving child’s mouth?

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 31, 2013 at 8:53 PM

snicker!

Karmi on May 31, 2013 at 8:31 PM

This is my view everyday…snicker

MontanaMmmm on May 31, 2013 at 8:55 PM

This is my view everyday…snicker

MontanaMmmm on May 31, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Wow. So beautiful.

mbs on May 31, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 31, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I think that you misunderstood. I think that Karmi might enjoy it. She/he/it sounds like he/she/it would enjoy a sort of modern-day version of lions in the Coliseum. I’m was not advocating anything on the subject of capital punishment.

Resist We Much on May 31, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Those caps are much too dangerous for an EOD tech to try to defuse.

YOU COULD PUT YER EYE OUT!!! /S/

Solaratov on May 31, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Holy crap! Every time I think about moving back to MD, this stuff happens. Hell, I had TWO cap guns, AND a holster. Always had rolls of the paper caps.

katy the mean old lady on May 31, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Karmi on May 31, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Pray tell. Whose little sock puppet are you?

katy the mean old lady on May 31, 2013 at 9:13 PM

How very enlightened of you.

Splashman on May 31, 2013 at 6:26 PM

You misunderstand. That’s the same look and confiscation of any toy causing a child to be distracted from lessons, other students to become giggly, or bothering other children on the bus. Barbie doll, plastic pony, cap gun, garbage pail kids cards…

THis kid merely displayed a toy, showed it, on the bus so maybe you are right, the appropriate consequence is – “put that away until the end of the day.” Any any kid not discreet enough in class to let a discreet teacher of my day overlook the fancy thing brought to class deserved to have an arched brow directed at chim or her and to have the desirable and interesting toy confiscated.

SarahW on May 31, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Any parent who sends his child to a typical public school today, who does it for the parent’s convenience, when the parent has alternatives, is a bad parent.

SarahW on May 31, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Resist We Much on May 31, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I apologize if I did misunderstand. However, my views were not to be misunderstood. I’ve long grown tired of these thieves, rapists, drug dealers and assorted scofflaws and hell raisers making life miserable for other people. Decent women, not to mention men and children are barely safe in public in this country. And we often hear stories about how honest law-abiding Citizens are arrested or otherwise vilified for trying to defend themselves.

This flotsam of Humanity who think they have a right to your property, your wives, your daughters, or your children can only be dealt with decisively in one way…the permanent way. I’d give some latitude to thieves, like a “three strikes” law, but after that hang them.

Somebody desperate or brazen enough to hold you up or enter your property with bad intent is only one small step away from killing or injuring you or yours.

As for televised executions, no, I’m not supportive of that. It’s nothing to celebrate or use as entertainment, even if it is justice.

As for Karmi’s point about executing parents for the committing of capital crimes. As ridiculous as it sounds on the surface, I do think there is somewhat of an argument there. If parents can take credit for the positive things their children accomplish, then can parents be held accountable for the negative?

Short of the parents telling their child to commit a capital crime, I’d say no, but there does seem to be some need for holding such parents accountable on some level.

We know that we can be held accountable for death or injury to another even if it weren’t intentional, and even if we ourselves were not directly involved.

I do remember seeing two parents in a Lake County, Florida courtroom being hand-cuffed and led away at the order of the presiding judge. Their middle school daughter had been skipping school chronically, so he held her parents to be culpable…this was back in the ’90s I believe.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 31, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Resist We Much on May 31, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Ummm…try not paying your property taxes for about three years and see what happens.

98ZJUSMC on May 31, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 31, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Welcome to Democratland.

Population: Stupid.

98ZJUSMC on May 31, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Welcome to Democratland.

Population: Stupid.

98ZJUSMC on May 31, 2013 at 10:11 PM

How’s that “Democratland”?

Bunch of bleeding heart Libtards and their sanctimonious counterparts on the right have softened our judicial system to the point that it’s meaningless.

Since when is turning a blind eye to crime and criminals and treating them with kid gloves a Conservative value?

So I suppose supporting the Second Amendment and the right of Citizens to defend themselves is part of “Democratland” now as well?

Please try to make some sense.

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 31, 2013 at 11:23 PM

The way it’s supposed to work: You call the parent. The parent comes to get the kid. The kid almost pees his pants at the thought of what his parents are going to do to him. The offense? Excessive horseplay on the bus. That’s it. Go home. Come back tomorrow.

But, then, times have changed, haven’t they.

These people (school officials) think they’re going to, somehow, retroactively, fix Newtown by suspending this 5 year old.

The people who need to grow up here are the adults.

By the way, no, please don’t let another lawsuit grow out of this. If there’s an appeal process for the suspension, go for it. If not, sure, file for an injunction and ask for a TRO now, so the poor kid can attend his kindergarten graduation. The damage is immediate and irreparable. Money later (which he wouldn’t get anyway) will not make up for what’s going on now. But, hey, if hiring a lawyer (who’d probably take if for nothing) gets some action out of the school or the school board, go for it. But, damages? Lawsuit? No. It’s time we stopped reaching for that trigger (play on words) every time we’re pissed about something. Not the answer.

By the way part 2, the police themselves couldn’t have interrogated the kid w/o his parents present (or legal representative). School administrators (some of them) think they’re god within their building.

IndieDogg on May 31, 2013 at 11:32 PM

A guess using this as a “teaching moment” was beyond the collective mental abilities of the school staff?

If the parents had grilled their own child until he wet is pants, CPS would have gotten involved. Since it was done by so-called professionals, it’s apparently OK.

EdmundBurke247 on May 31, 2013 at 11:34 PM

This PC sh*t has to stop. It’s hurting our kids.

GeorgieGirl9 on May 31, 2013 at 11:38 PM

As long as it is a public school, the usual cause of action is civil rights violations. There are a ton of regulations schools have to follow, and when the school breaks those regulations, as is typical in these kinds of cases, you get due process violations, etc.

There should be a conservative nonprofit that sues for this stuff, like how FIRE does with colleges.

kaltes on June 1, 2013 at 12:01 AM

insanity.

KMC1 on June 1, 2013 at 2:23 AM

When I was a senior in high school, I had a tee shirt that said ‘If you love someone set them free. If they come back-they’re yours. If not-hunt them down and shoot ‘them’.
It was one of my favorite tees to wear to school.
Absolutely NOTHING was done to me because of it.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2013 at 4:38 AM

What? Did you grow up in Palestine?

arnold ziffel on May 31, 2013 at 8:21 PM

There is no such place as ‘Palestine’-unless you mean Palestine, TX.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2013 at 4:45 AM

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 31, 2013 at 8:14 PM

It’s not just boys that played with them.
I had a TON of toy guns growing up.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2013 at 4:47 AM

Kids shouldn’t carry guns (toy or not) or knives (toy or not) to school…simple as that.

Karmi on May 31, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Who the hell are you to make that decision?
In the 1970′s and ’80′s , I brought many a toy gun to school. In high school(I graduated during the late late ’80′s), my keychain was my mother’s old GSA pocket knife.
NOTHING happened to me.
Ditto for my now college-student son.
Children belong to their parents. They do NOT belong to the government!

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2013 at 4:59 AM

Why get exotic? It’s straight up child abuse. Everyone involved should lose their teaching credentials and job. They should be branded for life. And they should serve time.

{^_^}

herself on June 1, 2013 at 5:47 AM

Lets go old school on this:

1st offense: Student is talked to and parent is notified of disruptive behavior.

2nd offense: Parent is notified of disruptive behavior, student is publicly swatted by parent or person of parents choice in front of class.

3rd offense: Parent is notified of disruptive behavior, Student and parent are swatted by principle in front of class.

Case closed, if the student didn’t learn after the first 2 times, he will definitely not repeat after the third :-)

American Patriot1980 on June 1, 2013 at 6:47 AM

1. No 5 year old should be questioned for more than 5 or 10 minutes. This should go without saying. 2 HOURS is abusive. No wonder the kid wet his pants.

2. I am a teacher with 20 years’ experience at multiple buildings in multiple districts. Female principals are to be avoided like the plague. Female principals with MS. in front of their name, triple that.

3. See number 2.

Grace_is_sufficient on June 1, 2013 at 7:03 AM

My son is 11 and has a better plastic toy aresanal than GI Joe..

They do anything remotely like this to my son..

IT’S F**KING WAR..

They’d be taking me out in cuffs for shouting at these pathetic a-holes in their own school building, I would make absolutely damn sure half the kids heard me, and someone.. ANYONE called these liberal idiots to count for the raging STUPID they inflict.

YOU CAN BUY A CAP GUN AND CAPS AT ANY DOLLAR STORE.. THEY ARE LEGAL YOU PATHETIC TEACHING HALFWITS.. LEGAL.

I could pick up the three pound stapler of his desk and do a Hell of a lot more damage to his empty skull than my son could with a three ounce plastic cap gun…

They may have the “system” guarding their gun hysteric selves..

but I have VOLUME on my side, and would make that teacher and principles lives a living Hell if they pushed this at my son. No quietly trying to talk sense to idiots, no respectful treatment..

They so much as smear my son’s record,.. every parent in the school district, every PTA meeting, every gathering at any academic event, I would be there to mock ridicule and otherwise show my utter contempt for the morons who made these decisions..

I’d make those freaks cringe when I walk in the school, knowing I have zero tolerance for freakishly stupid.

Start a petition to have that teacher fired, their principle.. and have my son’s name cleared.. and stand outside the school building for as long as it takes to annoy the lunatic left. Holding a big sign..

IDIOTS HERE TRIED TO DESTROY MY SON’S FUTURE.. FOR PLAYING A VIDEO GAME CHARACTER..

Zero “tolerance” indeed.. I’d show them zero tolerance, for their PC hysterics, their biased indoctrination, that even toy guns are bad bad,,.

Hell in high school the kids in metal shop were making starters canons that fired 22.cal blanks.. making swords.. we’d sit in a room after class discussing making mortars with cardboard cylinders and m-80′s.. and a tennis ball…making a wrist rocket sling shot put a steel dart through a 1 inch plank..

and they have now emasculated schools, being a natural aggressive boy is a hate crime..

I would NOT just take it.. it would be war..

and the current “principle” was out back smoking with the rest of the stoners..

mark81150 on June 1, 2013 at 7:11 AM

sorry about the typo’s and misplaced sentences.. I was kinda angry.. and for some reason, a sentence or two disappeared only to pop back in in a strange place after I submitted it…

maybe I’m just tired.. and sick of the hysterical Bullsh*t…

mark81150 on June 1, 2013 at 7:15 AM

maybe I’m just tired.. and sick of the hysterical Bullsh*t…

mark81150 on June 1, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Completely understand. I had two older brothers growing up and when you look at the old Christmas pictures from the late 50s – early 60s, there’s nothing but Rifleman guns, Davy Crockett caps, Lincoln Log forts, little green army men and a Barbie doll or something of mine amidst all of that. I have a picture of me when I was 3 with my late brother shooting a toy rifle. Again, this was 1959 when America was the greatest country in the world. Not this decaying corpse of a PC third world dumping ground that it is now. Breaks my heart because I’m old enough to remember how it used to be.

TxAnn56 on June 1, 2013 at 7:36 AM

3. See number 2.

Grace_is_sufficient on June 1, 2013 at 7:03 AM

I know two kids personally expelled from high school, for simply arguing with a teacher, then saying something to the effect, “somebody should blow this place up”…. incredibly stupid yes, and deserving what they got..

there, making bomb threats makes sense in a zero tolerance world..

but a 5 year old with a perfectly legal anywhere else on the planet plastic toy?

and they treat him like they personally caught Bin Laden?

I’ve met some dedicated teachers that my kids loved, like a favored aunt.. and some that should be horse whipped for even being close to children..

My daughter in the 5th grade, was verbally abused in class by a male teacher in full blown Obama worship in 08… nasty vile piece of work, all for simply wearing Dad’s veterans cap with a McCain/Palin button on it.. she wasn’t political at all… before this anyway, but was excited that a woman was on the ticket…

She came home in tears, because said nasty piece of work did it all day, calling Palin names, me, her father a racist for not supporting da won.. had his classroom covered in Obama memorabilia.

I complain, angrily to female principle about him abusing students for their parents politics, turning his “science” classroom into an Obama shrine..

and she accuses me of being a homophobic and making it up, because teacher was gay.. when I never brought it up. No disciplinary action at all against said dirtbag.. the Obama posters stayed up all year, this in a VERY conservative county in Ohio, even OUR schools are infected with left wing hysterics.. he did get quiet about going after my daughter.. so they at least told him to knock that off..

but his raging partisan class?.. or they were fine with that.

Nearly every kid in that school had a family member in Iraq or Afghanistan.. but nearly none of the teachers did. Our patriotism was “offensive” to them.. they were all about dissent being a gift of free speech.. till their boyfriend got in.. now, not so into free speech when it’s their president getting mocked..

When even a rural Ohio school is politicized.. and the local conservative parents mocked as backwards, hayseeds, warmongering rubes,… you know the teaching profession has gotten out of control..

mark81150 on June 1, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Maybe they overheard him saying his prayers and that by default, triggered their madness syndrome (since educators always blame bad behavior of a variety of convenient syndromes.)

Don L on June 1, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Billy the Kid.

Sherman1864 on June 1, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Toy gun = BAD
Day after pill = GOOD
ladyingray on May 31, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Exactly!

Sad comment on what we have today.

Sherman1864 on June 1, 2013 at 8:56 AM

If this were my kid, the thugs who terrorized him (and I’m referring to the school administrators, not the kids on the bus) would have a lot more to worry about from me than just a lawsuit.

AZCoyote on June 1, 2013 at 9:17 AM

*points emphatically to the “DON’T FEED THE TROLLS – SHOOT THEM” sign*

Midas on June 1, 2013 at 9:23 AM

. . . cause we all know interrogating a five year old over a toy for two hours, without his parents present, until he wets himself, is much easier than actually teaching a kid something.

BigAlSouth on June 1, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on May 31, 2013 at 8:14 PM

It’s not just boys that played with them.
I had a TON of toy guns growing up.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2013 at 4:47 AM

That’s cool…wish you were around back in the day…none of the local girls wanted to play Army with us boys.

When I was in the first grade I became the proud owner of a Chinese-made Mosin Nagant that my dad had brought back from Vietnam. I was put out with him years later when he told me that a SF guy wanted to give him a captured AK-47, but my dad declined the offer! Said it would have been too much of a hassle bringing it back to the States. Damn.

We weren’t a shooting family, never hunted, and I never fired live ammo until I went into the Army. I like shooting, but I can take it or leave it. I find it gets boring very quickly. I know this man who owns three Civil War cannons and tried to get me into re-enacting. I’m still considering it, but I told him that operating those guns would be too much like work. I was in the Field Artillery. LOL

Amazingly, going against all PC Leftist conventional wisdom, I’ve never shot anyone, and pray I never have to.

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 1, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Some who have posted here see the dangers involved and yet some find it to be a humorous joke.
Let me run some numbers here. Each one of these teachers can influence the lives and charter of as many as 100 students a year. Each principal, 10 times that number and a school board 10 times that number. times that by a 30 year tenured career and you just lost a small city worth of young people and their families. It looks like most of these stories lately are clustered in Maryland on the Eastern Shore. Is this true? DANGER DANGER Do not take theses as jokes. In 120 minutes they totally destroyed a 5 year old for life.

jpcpt03 on June 1, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Funny how when kids used to play with toy guns they grew up knowing full well the difference between the toy and the real thing…

Pest on June 1, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 1, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Spawn has a Russian(Soviet) Nagant.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 1, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Spawn has a Russian(Soviet) Nagant.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 1, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Interesting. I wonder if it’s an early model or later?

The one I have was made for Chinese Security Forces originally, but I can’t remember exactly when or where it was made but I think in the ’50s. It is a carbine…Type 56 I’m guessing.

I’ve never fired it. Due to its age and lack of maintenance before and after I got it, I just don’t trust it.

Maybe I’ll pick up an operational one one of these days, but I’d really like to get a Mauser K98…either a Swedish copy or better yet a “Soviet capture” German one…yummmy!

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 1, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I thought about how I would react more, IMO, I would have been the one going to jail because for the simple fact the held my kid and questioned him for 2 hours BEFORE calling me… and then he wet his pants to boot. I would be charged with battery.

watertown on June 2, 2013 at 12:47 PM

We had this zero tolerance thing until the assistant school superintendent was caught coking and then everything changed. He was put on payed leave for many months until finally people forgot about the creep.

mixplix on June 2, 2013 at 4:32 PM

IndieDogg on May 31, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I respectfully disagree. Such tyrants will never suffer consequences from their leadership (such as it is) until the leadership suffers consequences first.

If the school district has to pay out multiple millions in multiple lawsuits every time something this abusive happens, the leadership WILL do something to stop it. No matter what their politics are. It all comes down to the money they won’t get in their bonuses due to such payouts.

runawayyyy on June 3, 2013 at 11:24 AM