Louisiana Democrat after calling Obamacare opponents racist: “I didn’t call anyone racist”

posted at 12:41 pm on May 31, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

The obligatory followup to Allahpundit’s post yesterday chronicling the the rhetorical misadventure of the Democratic state Sen. Karen Carter Peterson, who during a session informed her fellow legislators that — and I quote — criticisms of ObamaCare come down to “the race of this African American president.” When she was later asked to apologize for and/or defend her comments, she effectively did neither (h/t the Weekly Standard):

I’m not stepping away from anything that I said on the floor. I didn’t call anyone a racist. I referenced some of the conversations that I’d had with colleagues that, you know, shared with me that one of the factors, it’s not always the factor. I didn’t say that everybody’s decision was based on that. But certainly one of the factors was politics around it and race, the issue of race. So, that has kind of stirred up some folks that are not, I guess, accustomed to having that conversation openly but I think that it’s time that we not ignore the issue.

Er… how is it that you can at once insist that much of the opposition to ObamaCare is based on race, but that you are not not calling anybody a racist? Pretty sure that comes down to just about the same thing, whether or not she was calling anybody out specifically. And no, by the way, she did not say that racism was “one of the factors” for opposition; she actually said that race is “what it comes down to,” as if Republicans would be all too happy to blithely accept universal health care if only it were somebody else that had offered it and their objections are not in fact mainly due to the concern that a bureaucratic takeover of a gigantic sector of the economy will in the long run result in much more harm than good, o ye of little faith. (Say, where else have we heard this type of argument recently?)

Going one step further in her sorry-I’m-not-sorry, the state senator called for an apology from Governor Bobby Jindal on behalf of the people of Louisiana.

He declined.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Why do conservatives act like being called racist is the worst possible insult?

libfreeordie on May 31, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Who said it was the “worst possible insult”? Did anybody here say that? If your role on this thread is to support this woman’s right to teeter over the line of calling somebody racist–of doing everything BUT calling people racist means that she didn’t actually call anybody racist, than what makes your notion that we’re acting in a way that you can begin to characterize unless a conservative comes right out and tells you “that’s the worst possible insult”.

I consider it pretty offensive to be called a racist.

I don’t know about you but I would consider something like baby-stomper a worse charge on the moral plain than just a plain ol’ racist.

Axeman on May 31, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I wouldn’t exactly call Uncle Joe Stalin “fascist”.

Axeman on May 31, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Gahhh! FAIL! That should be “progressive” not “fascist”.

Axeman on May 31, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Why do conservatives act like being called racist is the worst possible insult?

libfreeordie on May 31, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Actually, the charge of racism has been so watered down and diluted that it doesn’t even mean what it used to. By simply disagreeing with a black man, the word “racist” is now always invoked. The meaning of the word has been completely redefined.

If you object to the government takeover of private banks, that qualifies you as a racist. And if you complain about the government takeover of the auto industry then you are certainly a racist. You say you don’t want a cap and trade law that will kill the traditional energy industry and double your utility bills and costs of living? That earns you a racist badge. And now you want to object to government run healthcare? Well, under the new definition, you are obviously a diehard racist. Do you support or attend TEA parties or participate in pro-constitutional rallies? You guessed it, you’re a racist. Do you watch Fox News or listen to conservative talk radio? You might as well just admit it, you’re a hopeless racist.

All I know is you better come up with another word for a case of actual race discrimination based solely upon skin color… because the old word isn’t going to garner the attention it used to. Too many of us, have actually decided to embrace it.

lynncgb on May 31, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Why do conservatives act like being called racist is the worst possible insult?

libfreeordie on May 31, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I have been trying to tell them this for years, so I am glad you are coming around to my way of thinking.

Embracism.

ClassicCon on May 31, 2013 at 2:35 PM

The left have made a mockery of true racism. No one cares any longer.

Schadenfreude on May 31, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Actually she and the millions of black racists just like her are “sorry” as in “worthless”. No, I’m not painting all black folks as racists, just the racist ones.

neyney on May 31, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Ghetto logic.I mean you know.

jake49 on May 31, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Predictable. Alinsky. Divided we fall.

John the Libertarian on May 31, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Let me defend this poor woman.

Look, if she had any brains, she wouldn’t be a Democrat, would she? OF COURSE she is loyal to Obama, he gives her a free phone, free food stamps, doesn’t prosecute her for tax fraud (because all the agents are auditing Republicans), and generally builds her self-esteem by making sure she never has to realize what an idiot she is. She’s elected! She’s a Democrat! She IS somebody!

It is raaaaaaaaaacisss and unfair to put her on the spot for something she said. How is she supposed to remember what she said? She spoke from the heart, and took time off from stealing from the taxpayers to make the speech.

Do we have to get the guy who does the “leave Brittany alone!” video to convince you h8trs?

Adjoran on May 31, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Why do conservatives act like being called racist is the worst possible insult?

libfreeordie on May 31, 2013 at 1:19 PM

So, you believe that it IS perfectly acceptable to judge someone by the color of their skin, instead of the content of their character. That’s not surprising – liberals have maintained that being a person of color calls for special privileges for decades.

But I can’t help wonder how many RPMs is MLK doing in his grave these days…

psrch on May 31, 2013 at 3:02 PM

If brains were dynamite, she couldn’t blow her nose.

kingsjester on May 31, 2013 at 12:56 PM

If talk were criminal she’d lead a life of crime
because her mind is on vacation and her mouth is workin overtime.

If silence was golden, she couldn’t raise a dime

You know that life is short, talk is cheap
Don’t be makin promises that you just can’t keep
If you don’t like this little song I’m singin
Just grin and bear it
All I can say is if the shoe fits wear it
If you must keep talkin please try to make it rhyme
Because your mind is on vacation and your mouth is workin overtime.

Borrowed from a great old song by Mose Allison
I’m re-naming it the “black racist blues”

neyney on May 31, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I am more surprised she said Newt had the exact same legislation for Obamacare and we were all for it?…

I have been called racist more in the last 4 years that the previous 45…

and please stop with the “no one wants to talk about race” BS…once you bring it up with facts you are called a racist and the conversation goes away and the accusations begin

there is only one conversation that is allowed…whites are racist…any defense of that ideal strengthens that ideal…its idiotic

cmarceron on May 31, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I am sick and tired of people saying that if we debate and disagree with this administration that we are racist! We are Americans and it is our right to debate and disagree with this administration, or any administration!

/seems I’ve heard words to this effect somewhere, just can’t quite place them

AZfederalist on May 31, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Calling someone a racist is one thing. However when you are such an airhead that you call someone a racist and then ten seconds later say you did not when you did pushes the bounds of incredulity.

logicman_1998 on May 31, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I wouldn’t exactly call Uncle Joe Stalin “fascist”.

Axeman on May 31, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Gahhh! FAIL! That should be “progressive” not “fascist”.

Axeman on May 31, 2013 at 2:28 PM

That is odd; you just corrected a word with a synonym for the same word. :)

Theophile on May 31, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Why do conservatives act like being called racist is the worst possible insult?

libfreeordie on May 31, 2013 at 1:19 PM

It’s one of the hallmarks of liberal think since it’s complete hypocrisy…but then “liberal” and “hypocrite” are also synonyms. (HT: Theophile)

kirkill on May 31, 2013 at 3:47 PM

The real story about those “great” new Obamacare rates in California:

AZCoyote on May 31, 2013 at 3:49 PM

NOW this idiot is a lying racist.

TX-96 on May 31, 2013 at 3:54 PM

That thing that happened in your mouth?
Yeah…that didn’t happen.

connertown on May 31, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Doubling down on stupid.

Why do conservatives act like being called racist is the worst possible insult?

libfreeordie on May 31, 2013 at 1:19 PM

You are racist. Care to comment on my assertion and how it makes you feel? And if you do comment, you show you care about my comment. And if you don’t….

unclesmrgol on May 31, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Why do conservatives act like being called racist is the worst possible insult?

libfreeordie on May 31, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Maybe because they are called racists by your side so often?

Just curious, Perfesser: Are there any racists who are not White?

(Starts Sundial #749)

Del Dolemonte on May 31, 2013 at 6:38 PM

She didn’t call anyone racist! They’re only claiming that because of my skin color.

ronsfi on May 31, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Bell Curve

tom daschle concerned on May 31, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Big mistake on her part. Just another attack on conseratives in the nation. Time to wake up, America. Don’t let the “low information voters” take control of what is left of our ounce great country. Won’t happen in 2014.

Amazingoly on May 31, 2013 at 8:50 PM

She’s wrong, I don’t object to Obamacare because I’m a racist, but because she is a fat slob who can’t put words together to make any sense.

BTW, latest government health regulations will mean that obese people like her will need to pay a higher rate on their government plans. I expect the government are just racists and fat-o-phobes.

virgo on May 31, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Watch the pea under the thimble here. She is playing semantics here, just like a politician does. No, she didn’t call ANYONE SPECIFICALLY racist, just ALL THOSE who are against Obama/Obamacare racist.

Quote:
“It’s not about how many federal dollars we receive. You ready….it’s about race.”

No, that’s not calling ANYONE racist. How did she get elected again?

Patriot Vet on June 1, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Bell Curve

tom daschle concerned on May 31, 2013 at 8:35 PM

That crumbling sound we’re hearing is the liberal-pushed ideal of ultimate equality. It’s becoming increasingly clear that Lincoln was right – a house divided against itself CANNOT stand.

A culture that imbibes liberal ‘equality’ is not unlike someone who gets high on huge amounts of booze and LSD. It may feel good at the time and give you all sorts of warm fuzzies…but later on your body will have to expel the poisons or you will die.

MelonCollie on June 2, 2013 at 9:38 AM