Obama approval underwater in new Q-poll

posted at 10:41 am on May 30, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

It’s difficult to recall a scandal handled as badly as the exposure of IRS targeting conservative groups — unless it’s the scandal of Department of Justice snooping on reporters and having an Attorney General lie to Congress about his involvement in it, which has made federal law enforcement entirely suspect.  Small wonder, then, that 76% of respondents in Quinnipiac’s latest poll want a special prosecutor to investigate the IRS:

Three-quarters of U.S. voters want a special prosecutor to investigate the Internal Revenue Service’s targeting of Tea Party groups, according to a poll that showed a drop in PresidentBarack Obama’s approval and trust ratings.

In the survey released today by Hamden, Connecticut-based Quinnipiac University, registered voters favored a special prosecutor by 76 percent to 17 percent. Those backing such a move included 63 percent of Democrats.

“There is overwhelming bipartisan support for an independent investigation into the IRS,” Peter A. Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac polling institute, said in a news release.

Congress would prefer to hang onto investigative power themselves.  The legislative branch has the authority and the responsibility to investigate malfeasance in the executive branch, and Capitol Hill has just gotten started.  If prosecutions become necessary, then a special prosecutor will probably be necessary, especially with the Department of Justice’s scandals expanding from the top down.  Until then, though, Congress should stay on the job and uncover the evidence itself.

When these scandals first appeared, administration apologists called them overblown and repeatedly asserted that they would collapse and bite Republicans on the rear end.  As evidence for this analysis, they pointed to Barack Obama’s steady job approval numbers in the first couple of weeks of the scandal coverage.  However, Quinnipiac now shows that Obama’s job approval has gone underwater for the first time in a while, and the biggest hit comes from independent voters:

President Barack Obama gets a negative 45 – 49 percent job approval rating, compared to 48 – 45 percent positive in a May 1 survey by the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University, conducted before the IRS allegations surfaced.

The president’s biggest drop is among independent voters, who give him a negative 37 – 57 percent score, compared to a negative 42 – 48 percent May 1. He gets a negative 9 – 86 percent from Republicans and a positive 87 – 8 percent from Democrats, both virtually unchanged. Women approve 49 – 45 percent while men give a negative 40 – 54 percent score.

And it’s not just job approval, either.  Obama’s reserve of trust with voters has declined significantly as well as the scandals take a toll on perceptions of his integrity:

Americans are divided 49 – 47 percent on whether Obama is honest and trustworthy, down from 58 – 37 percent, the last time Quinnipiac University asked the question September 1, 2011.

Obama has lost independents on this question, which break significantly towards mistrust, 40/56.  The worst overall number Obama had on this question over the last three years was 55/38 in September 2010 just before the midterms that he lost by a landslide.

Speaking of which, the generic Congressional ballot in the Q-poll puts Republicans in a tie with Democrats 38/38, with independents breaking Republican by 13 points, 36/23.  It’s the lowest rating in the Quinnipiac series for Democrats in two years, and with Obama’s numbers sliding, it’s not likely to improve soon.

Comments

As long as he’s +70 or whatever it is among libs, the numbers won’t slip too far. It’s when GWB started to lose conservatives that his numbers really began to plummet.

Chris of Rights on May 30, 2013 at 10:45 AM

if this crap keeps up, it might be time for a vacation…..

ted c on May 30, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I am not one of those calling for a special prosecutor. If Issa continues with his hearings then we get to see a lot of dirty deeders pleading the 5th, saying they don’t remember or can’t recall, looking like a deer in the headlights etc. Plus now that Lerner has screwed herself they can give her immunity and she can squeal like a pig on those above her who were directing her. Then they in turn can squeal on those up them all the way up to the WH. If you use a SP then it all goes underground, off the radar and Obama and his thugs get a breather right before the 2014 elections.

I say shine the light, keep up the pressure.

neyney on May 30, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Bark appointed Holder to investigate himself, what more do you homophobes want?

Bishop on May 30, 2013 at 10:47 AM

ted c on May 30, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Or maybe it’s time to go on David Letterman again…

kirkill on May 30, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Obama under water?

The LSM will simply drain the pool for him.

Liam on May 30, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Obama has lost independents on this question, which break significantly towards mistrust, 40/56. The worst overall number Obama had on this question over the last three years was 55/38 in September 2010 just before the midterms that he lost by a landslide.

The more you know of him, the less you think of him.

unclesmrgol on May 30, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Eh, too late now.

ThePrez on May 30, 2013 at 10:50 AM

The RINOs will simultaneously boost his ratings and alienate the conservative base by pushing through amnesty for 20 million illegal aliens. The Stupid Party is an understatement.

Wigglesworth on May 30, 2013 at 10:53 AM

49% of the public are stupid selfish idiots.

Happy Nomad on May 30, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I love that photo of Obama on the lead page. That scowl is classic Obama.

Liam on May 30, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Obama’s approval fell by two points!!!! It’s the end I tell you!!!!

HB3 on May 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM

hey, let me be perfectly clear……I won.

ted c on May 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Bummer

gophergirl on May 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Bark appointed Holder to investigate himself, what more do you homophobes want?

Bishop on May 30, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Lois Lerner to get back to us on just how many rogue employees in Cincinatti were involved in targeting conservative groups.

Happy Nomad on May 30, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I don’t want a special prosecutor or a Congressional investigation. I want a Constitutional Convention.

Fabozz on May 30, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Eh, too late now.

ThePrez on May 30, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Yep. The “press” has accomplished their goal of a second term for their oh-so- dreamy messiah.

Maybe if they had done their jobs for the last five 50 years, this schmuck would still be an obscure state senator representing Chicago.

UltimateBob on May 30, 2013 at 10:57 AM

and like Digital lice across the screen, DBear will be appearing shortly….

To inform us that with this Poll, Obama has Vanquished us!!

ToddPA on May 30, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I say shine the light, keep up the pressure.

neyney on May 30, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Exactly.

Mimzey on May 30, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Bark appointed Holder to investigate himself, what more do you homophobes want?

Bishop on May 30, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Well, for starters, a date with RWM. And she’s the one who’s paying!

Then, a night on the town with Britney Spears (she’s paying, too, of course).

Later, I also want an early breakfast with Melissa Sue Anderson, AJ Cook, Emily Rose, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, and Amber Tamblyn (they pay, naturally).

Okay, I’m a slut.

But…you asked!

Liam on May 30, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I love that photo of Obama on the lead page. That scowl is classic Obama.
Liam on May 30, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Sorry Mr. President, TOTUS was an unfortunate casualty of your sequester.

Or

Reggie Love is not picking up his phone.

Feel free to add your own. This could get fun.

can_con on May 30, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Obama’s approval fell by two points!!!! It’s the end I tell you!!!!

HB3 on May 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM

After all that has happened and the failed and wasted billions given to special interests groups, the illegal and scandal….he drops 2 points.

The fruity chickens of 4 decades of dumbing down, have come home to roast roost.

Mimzey on May 30, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Special prosecutor ain’t gonna happen….

cmsinaz on May 30, 2013 at 11:08 AM

can_con on May 30, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Obama is proof that every child, especially a boy, needs a good father.

I’d like to see a poll of the question, “Do you want your son to be like Obama?”

With the follow-up question, “Why or why not?”

Liam on May 30, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I love that photo of Obama on the lead page. That scowl is classic Obama.

Liam on May 30, 2013 at 10:54 AM

It gives me great pleasure to see that jug eared jackass p1ssed off like that. That sideways glare always makes me think of Gary Coleman saying, “Whatchu talkin’ bout, Willis?”

UltimateBob on May 30, 2013 at 11:09 AM

UltimateBob on May 30, 2013 at 11:09 AM

It gives me the creeps, that look says “In MY perfect world you would be getting tossed into a mass grave right about now.”

Bishop on May 30, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Liam on May 30, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I keep noticing the fawning over Resist, is there a pic of her floating around that I’m missing, because I should probably see it for myself.

Bishop on May 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM

a positive 87 – 8 percent from Democrats

Stupid liberals loves them socialist totalitarianism.

cozmo on May 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM

UltimateBob on May 30, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I like it in a way, to see his overblown ego pricked. It’s a weak attempt by a coward to intimidate. The LSM folds under that.

If any man looks at me that way, I expect we’re coming to blows in ten seconds or less. Unless one of us backs down, and I don’t back down. I’m not tough guy or anything. I simply refuse to be bullied. The ONLY people I’ll let get away with giving me that look are my children, their spouses, my granddaughters, my sister, and my best friend. If I get that look from any of them, I know for sure I screwed up and have it coming. I will immediately apologize.

That look epitomizes Obama, because he disdains everyone.

Liam on May 30, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I hope all the Indys that supported and voted for the Thug in Chief are contemplating their actions now.

The ultimate “actions have consequences” lesson.

tru2tx on May 30, 2013 at 11:18 AM

UltimateBob on May 30, 2013 at 11:09 AM

I like it in a way, to see his overblown ego kicked. It’s a weak attempt by a coward to intimidate. The LSM folds under that.

That look epitomizes Obama, because he disdains everyone.

Liam on May 30, 2013 at 11:19 AM

A lot of good these “Obama underwater polls” did for us last election. What’s the point?

Hawkerflyer on May 30, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I doubt this poll will get much media coverage.

The media did its job – improving Barack Obama’s popularity enough in late October – early November to get him re-elected.

bw222 on May 30, 2013 at 11:22 AM

“The president’s biggest drop is among independent voters, who give him a negative 37 – 57 percent score..”

..good; maybe they won’t vote for him in 2016.

The War Planner on May 30, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Bishop on May 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I know of no such pic. I like RWM for what I see here of her — she is humorous in a mix of American and British styles.

She’s also totally brilliant. That woman would have to WORK to be able to fail. And I think she’d mess that up — the only mess up of her life. No one can defeat her, not even herself.

Liberals are cat toys to her. I think that, when she goes against one of our trolls, she’s not going full-bore.

After my ex-wife, nothing scares me. But I would never dare lock horns with RWM.

Liam on May 30, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Can we have a Hot Gas poll on the president’s popularity? It would be interesting to see what portion of 1% favorable he gets. Please attach usernames to the results.

NOMOBO on May 30, 2013 at 11:26 AM

NOMOBO on May 30, 2013 at 11:30 AM

survey by the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University,

What’s the deal with having to ” phoneticize ” their name in their own study??

Is this a nod to the dumbed-down populace? Geez.

tru2tx on May 30, 2013 at 11:34 AM

NOMOBO on May 30, 2013 at 11:26 AM

My vote is ‘totally unpopular’.

Liam on May 30, 2013 at 11:34 AM

…no information people… works everywhere!

KOOLAID2 on May 30, 2013 at 11:38 AM

…no information people… works everywhere!

KOOLAID2 on May 30, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Except for the part that no-information people don’t work.

Liam on May 30, 2013 at 11:40 AM

KOOLAID2 on May 30, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Will work for food Drive me to the welfare office.

Liam on May 30, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I’d say it’s about time, but want to see if it lasts before I do :)

Bob's Kid on May 30, 2013 at 12:02 PM

49% of the public are stupid selfish idiots.

Happy Nomad on May 30, 2013 at 10:54 AM

..but, there again, there’s that ubiquitous 47% cropping up.

The War Planner on May 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Good. Finally. Little punk has been living on borrowed time.

petefrt on May 30, 2013 at 12:08 PM

49% of the public are stupid selfish idiots.

Happy Nomad on May 30, 2013 at 10:54 AM

AND, pay no taxes.

Alabama Infidel on May 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Wow, it takes a whole bunch of scandals of high magnitude to move his ‘approval rate a few notches down. what a retarded populace. And you bet his approval rate is going to go back up after a tearful session of dear leader who know cries more often and more vigorously than even Boehner.

jimver on May 30, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Speaking of which, the generic Congressional ballot in the Q-poll puts Republicans in a tie with Democrats 38/38, with independents breaking Republican by 13 points, 36/23. It’s the lowest rating in the Quinnipiac series for Democrats in two years, and with Obama’s numbers sliding, it’s not likely to improve soon.

If the generic ballot is tied with Indies going R+13, they must have used a Democrat-heavy sample. Wonder if some Democrat Senators up for re-election in 2014 will abandon Obummer to save their seats?

Steve Z on May 30, 2013 at 1:13 PM

49% of the public are stupid selfish idiots.

Happy Nomad on May 30, 2013 at 10:54 AM

AND, pay no taxes.

Alabama Infidel on May 30, 2013 at 12:26 PM

AND, unfortunately, vote.

Seems even attendance at a leading university does not render these skulls full of mush educated. I am continually apalled at the man on the street interviews at college campuses. Those dullards have no idea of what songs Ben Ghazi sings, or who the attorney general is or what crimes he has committed, or even who their senator is. But their vote counts as much as mine.

Same goes for illiterates who vote for Obutthead because he’s black and gives them stuff, like no more mortgage payments and paying for their gas. Gimme my Obamaphone I give you my vote. These mental retards have absolutely no business voting. And I really don’t care what color they are, just interested in their voter intelligence quotient.

NOMOBO on May 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM

… or Fast and Furious, where the President admitted involvement in treason (aiding and abetting enemies of our country) by issuing Executive Privilege (which can only be issued on information used by the President or his direct advisors) to seal the documents!

dominigan on May 30, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Who cares? We’re stuck with this vile sociopath for another 3 1/2 years, so his approval numbers in 2013 don’t mean a damn thing.

Right Mover on May 30, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Right Mover on May 30, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Exactly.

These numbers only indicate that people don’t like the IRS, generally. They don’t indicate any real dissatisfaction or even real understanding of the inherent flaws and corrupt nature of the Obama administration or of the ideology it represents.

Cleombrotus on May 30, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Let’s not forget that during the time that the IRS was going after the Tea Party, the MSM kept talking about how the Tea Party’s approval ratings were plummeting.

So you had the government targeting them for harassment, while the propaganda wing of the Democrat party was telling the public that “nobody likes the Tea Party”.

They had all the bases covered.

This poll shows that the American people just might think that the Tea Party has been treated unfairly. The Democrats can’t be too happy about that. And if they start slandering the Tea Party again, it could very well backfire on them.

ardenenoch on May 30, 2013 at 3:38 PM