Ted Cruz to McCain: “There may be more ‘wacko birds’ in the Senate than you think”

posted at 4:41 pm on May 23, 2013 by Allahpundit

Via Joel Gehrke, a scene from the intramural debate over the debt ceiling between Maverick and the Paul/Lee/Cruz tea-party coalition. If you read Erika’s post last night, you already know the background. The tea partiers are threatening to block the Senate’s budget from being sent to the House for a conference committee unless Reid assures them that whatever emerges won’t raise the debt ceiling. (Or, if it does, that 60 votes will be required for passage rather than the simple majority typically required for budget bills.) Reid won’t budge on that — yet. McCain, who’s been busy lately recouping lots of Strange New Respect that he lost five years ago when he momentarily became the left’s chief obstacle to power, has spent the last 24 hours effectively siding with Reid. Whether that’s because he’s a stickler for traditional Senate procedure or because he disdains the new generation of Senate conservatives for being too brash in asserting themselves (and for not being as interventionist as he’d like), I leave to you to decide. In Maverick’s defense, he’s been consistent in criticizing irregular GOP maneuvering on the debt ceiling — and in dumping on tea partiers for driving it. From 2011:

McCain said conservatives’ insistence that an increase in the debt ceiling be accompanied by a balanced budget amendment was “worse than foolish” because it couldn’t get through the Senate.

Reading from the [Wall Street Journal] editorial, McCain continued:

“The idea seems to be that if the House GOP refuses to raise the debt ceiling, a default crisis or gradual government shutdown will ensue and the public will turn en masse against Barack Obama…. Then Democrats would have no choice but to pass a balanced-budget amendment and reform entitlements, and the tea party hobbits could return to Middle-earth having defeated Mordor.

“This is the kind of crack political thinking that turned Sharron Angle and Christine O’Donnell into GOP Senate nominees,” he said, referring to the failed tea-party-backed candidates from Nevada and Delaware.

He got irritated with his foreign-policy and immigration ally Marco Rubio over this last night too, and this morning accused Mike Lee of being, well, ignorant:

“Perhaps the senator from Utah doesn’t know about that — the fact that even if they did raise the debt limit, it could not become law because it doesn’t go to the president of the United States,” McCain said. “So again, maybe the senator from Utah ought to learn a little bit more about how business has been done in the Congress of the United States.”

As is usually the case with McCain, the excessive nastiness in his criticism leaves you wondering how much of this is about policy and procedure and how much of it is driven by deeper personal dislike. Here’s Cruz reveling in Maverick’s annoyance by answering his attack on Lee with an 11-minute speech, the highlight of which comes at around 6:00 with a reference to McCain’s now-infamous (and since apologized-for) dubbing of Cruz and Rand Paul as “wacko birds.” He’s going to have endless fun tweaking Mac during their time in the Senate together, isn’t he?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

this guys is the best, tell them like it is.

phatfawzi on May 23, 2013 at 4:45 PM

McCain’s a troll

22044 on May 23, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I do so love that I was able to help send Senator Cruz to Washington.

catmman on May 23, 2013 at 4:47 PM

No borders, diluted national cultures and values……..a Ruling class dream come true.

Cruz better not cross them

PappyD61 on May 23, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Ha! Funny!!!

Bmore on May 23, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Mr friends…You don’t have to be afraid of Barack Obama.

Curtiss on May 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I need to add “let’s move to Texas” to the sweet nothings I whisper in my wife’s ear.

SteveInRTP on May 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Shorter McCain: “Hey you damn kids, get off my Senate.”

John, please retire.

rbj on May 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM

McCain has been a brainwashed dupe of Hanoi since he was released.

Liam on May 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM

McCain, wanna see a real wacko bird…..look in the mirror.

hawkeye54 on May 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM

You know, I kinda like this Cruz fellow, he’s got a pretty bright future in politics, no?

And he’s got some grapefruits, which McLame & the other losers only wish they had.

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on May 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM

And he’s got some grapefruits, which McLame & the other losers only wish they had resent what he has.

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on May 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM

My view.

Liam on May 23, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I really wish that my fellow Arizonians would have voted this termite out of office this last election…..I despise him more and more – each and every day for his RINOism……

hawkman on May 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Cruz vs McCain in matters of logic and debate? Heh. No contest. I kind of guess Cruz might be a master at bearbaiting. Fun.

a capella on May 23, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I love this guy.

Cruz, Lee and Paul – love them all.

gophergirl on May 23, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Maybe Sarah Palin will run for the seat come next election in 2018….I think that is his when the seat comes up for election…

hawkman on May 23, 2013 at 4:54 PM

SteveInRTP on May 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Come on down! The weather’s fine (most of the year).

txhsmom on May 23, 2013 at 4:54 PM

McCain, wanna see a real wacko bird…..look in the mirror.

hawkeye54 on May 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Realistically — What person after age 13 uses that kind of term?

McCain couldn’t have done worse than if he had said, “You’re a big fat poopy-head!”

And tossed in a ‘neener-neener’ for emphasis.

Liam on May 23, 2013 at 4:54 PM

He’s so Maverick-y!

McCain is a jerk.

UltimateBob on May 23, 2013 at 4:54 PM

There’s going be at least 5-1/2 more years of Ted Cruz. That must really piss old McCain off.

Curtiss on May 23, 2013 at 4:56 PM

F*ck McCain. His demise is long overdue.

Midas on May 23, 2013 at 4:56 PM

McCain’s a miserable geriatic statist troll with a broom six feet up his arse.

22044 on May 23, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Yeah, I think it needed more. I respect the man as a veteran, but he’s spent so much time in the past 12 years or so negating that so many times over. Lest anybody somehow think I went soft there, his daughter is fat, dumb, and obnoxious too.

Time for McCain to retire. Replace him with Ted Cruz’s necktie. It has far more intellect and knowledge of the Constitution than most Senators anyway.

Gingotts on May 23, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Cruz is taking flac because he’s on target. He didn’t go there to make friends because he knows they are shallow souls that nest in the senate. Wacko birds indeed.

DanMan on May 23, 2013 at 4:58 PM

txhsmom on May 23, 2013 at 4:54 PM

You never know… Spent 3 years in the mid-70′s at Ft. Hood courtesy of Uncle Sam. Liked what little I got to see away from there on some long weekends.

And nowadays even NC isn’t red enough (I’m too close to Chapel Hill).

SteveInRTP on May 23, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Reading from the [Wall Street Journal] editorial, McCain continued:

he really likes reading from the WSJ editorial page on the senate floor makes me think he’s Paul Gigot’s hand puppet.

ChunkyLover on May 23, 2013 at 4:59 PM

He won’t be saying that about the Immigration Bill if it doesn’t.

Curtiss on May 23, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Come on down! The weather’s fine (most of the year).

txhsmom on May 23, 2013 at 4:54 PM

How’s the spider count down there these days? Down to zero yet?

Gingotts on May 23, 2013 at 5:00 PM

F*ck McCain. His demise is long overdue.

Midas on May 23, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I would think that anyone who went through the hell he did would be a hawk so determined that staunch Conservatives like me would be concerned.

But he came home a squish, broken by Communists. That brainwashing they did took hold of him, he embraced it and them.

Liam on May 23, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Realistically — What person after age 13 uses that kind of term?

And tossed in a ‘neener-neener’ for emphasis.

very true. Sadly, the use of language has nose-dived for years sinking to the level of an elementary school yard. At one time a man of McCain’s supposed maturity would have let loose with a more artful derogatory term.

hawkeye54 on May 23, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Actually the idea is to be responsible, patriotic citizens doing our duty and in service to the nation, stop corrupt, unethical politicians from engaging in any more generational theft to finance their corruption.

FloatingRock on May 23, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Gingotts on May 23, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Lol, I was just lazy. :)

22044 on May 23, 2013 at 5:04 PM

No one should have had to endure what he did. On the other hand, no one should have to continue to suffer him as senator, excepting enough voters thought he should return to DC instead of retiring him.

hawkeye54 on May 23, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I’m proud to live in Texas.

beatcanvas on May 23, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Hopefully McCain won’t be running again. Maybe he can write an Olympia Snowe like piece of garbage, with his Mensa member daughter, after retiring. I’m sure that will be a big hit.

NotCoach on May 23, 2013 at 5:06 PM

And yet another reminder why I’ve despised McCain for so long. He ought to just go ahead and switch parties…he’s got the braying j*****ss part down, anyway.

changer1701 on May 23, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Please, God – more like Ted Cruz.

Amen.

Midas on May 23, 2013 at 5:07 PM

For some reason the Progs hate this guy…Juan?

d1carter on May 23, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Time for McCain to retire.

That time came even before 2008. If only he realized that. He must think he has so much more to accomplish and give of himself to we the people.

hawkeye54 on May 23, 2013 at 5:08 PM

McCain is an a$$hole.

aquaviva on May 23, 2013 at 5:09 PM

McCain is worse than “fundamentally flawed” in the political sense. There has always been something very wrong with his character, which is one of extreme “me-first-and-only” self-entitlement. He was wrongfully admitted to the Naval Academy with bad grades ahead of more qualified applicants because his daddy and granddaddy were admirals. Rules that apply to ordinary people don’t apply to him. He thumbed his nose at Annapolis because he couldn’t be kicked out or flunked out, because he was JOHN MCCAIN, son and grandson of ADMIRALS. He ignored orders and crashed planes, because he couldn’t be disciplined as the son and grandson of admirals. He ditched the wife who stood by him, when he wanted a rich blonde chick young enough to be his daughter, who could finance his political ambition.

He was caught taking bribes to his wife from the Keating 5, so tried to cover his tracks by imposing the McCain-Feingold nonsense on everyone else (laws only apply to everyone else, not to JOHN MCCAIN). He entertained a blonde lobbyist in ways that worried his staff, and improperly pressured the FCC for her in exchange for …., because he is JOHN MCCAIN!!!!!!. He yelled obscenities at other senators who questioned ramming his McCain-Kennedy amnesty through the Senate in the dead of night without debate, and screamed he knew more about it than anyone else – because he is JOHN MCCAIN, a legend in his own mind !!!!!! He has had secret no press allowed meetings to praise Mexico as our dearest friend and closest neighbor, calling enforcement of the laws “Rhetoric”.

As president, McCain, like the man he helped elect. Barack Obama, would have tried to rule by fiat and would make Hugo Chavez look like George Washington. Like the Alice in Wonderland Queen of Hearts, if any GOP congresscritter disagreed with him “OFF WITH HER HEAD- I’m JOHN MCCAIN, KING OF THE UNIVERSE!!!” There has always been something consistently very wrong with McCain’s character. Through it all, this lying unreliable self-aggrandizing megalomaniac poses as a “straight talker”, and is so sick, he probably believes it himself, because he is JOHN MCCAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!, son and grandson of ADMIRALS.

RasThavas on May 23, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Nah, he’d just be another senile old dem with much less recognition. He gets so much more attention sticking it to his supposed own party going against the grain.

hawkeye54 on May 23, 2013 at 5:10 PM

SteveInRTP on May 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM

As a lifelong Texan I’ll tell you a secret, it’s as wonderful as you think it is….well except for Austin which is the one bruised blue spot in an otherwise red and healthy state.

Cruz is my senator, I voted for him, I love him

2016 Cruz!

neyney on May 23, 2013 at 5:10 PM

a capella on May 23, 2013 at 4:53 PM

In a battle of wits, Cruz whips McCain like a rented mule. It’s almost painful to watch McCain, he’s so pathetic. Why the fuc* did we nominate this complete jackass to run as a Republican?

Jaibones on May 23, 2013 at 5:10 PM

McCain is an a$$hole.

And probably proud of it, too.

hawkeye54 on May 23, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I wish we had more who could care less if the Washington establishment likes them or not.

Alabama Infidel on May 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Why the fuc* did we nominate this complete jackass to run as a Republican?

It was his turn and he earned it, right?

hawkeye54 on May 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM

This disagreement is over one issue and one issue only: can the United States Senate raise our debt limit with only 50 votes? Or does it take 60? Everything else is being talked about is smoke, it is a side issue. The central argument here is should the United States Senate be able to raise the debt limit with 50 votes or 60?

Now I will note that my friend from Arizona questioned the knowledge of those who are objecting. And he suggested that perhaps our knowledge was lacking, because this could not be done. Well, I know my friend from Arizona is a long veteran of this body. And he surely knows that in 1987 and 1990 it was done. This is not a hypothetical. And in 2– in 1994 and 2005 it was attempted. (It didn’t quite get accomplished but it was attempted.) And what occurs under the Budget Act of 1974 is that when a conference report is adopted and reconciliation instructions are sent that raise the debt ceiling, that can then be passed by this body with merely 50 votes. This is all an avenue to allow a debt ceiling to be raised with 50 votes. And I know my friend from Arizona is well aware of that, because he is such an esteemed historian of this body. He knows not only can it be done but it has been done.

This is how it’s done. In the first 3 minutes! Cruz’s friend from Arizona probably doesn’t have the sentience to realize he’s being flayed alive.

de rigueur on May 23, 2013 at 5:13 PM

hawkeye54 on May 23, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Looking around in this day and age, I wonder what happened to my country — the one in which I grew in the vision of JFK. Are there no more men like my father and my uncles — and strong women like my many aunts? They served either in the military during WWII, or here at home.

What scares me, and I don’t fret easily, is that my three granddaughters will never have what I had.

I blame that entirely on liberals.

And they dare wonder why I hate them so much.

Liam on May 23, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Pwned.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on May 23, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Oh this is terrible – even Marco Rubio isn’t demented enough for him.

VorDaj on May 23, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Cruz is a pleasure to listen to. Once again, there is a Republican with some stones who can argue articulately and effectively, while smiling the entire time.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on May 23, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Heh. nice.

WisRich on May 23, 2013 at 5:15 PM

And to think we wasted a Presidential Nomination on this twerp.

rjoco1 on May 23, 2013 at 5:16 PM

i’m just hoping cruz will soon point out how long mccain has been in the senate. and how much things have deteriorated in that time. and then he can suggest maybe mccain is part of the problem instead of part of the solution…

chasdal on May 23, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Why the fuc* did we nominate this complete jackass to run as a Republican?

It was his turn and he earned it, right?

hawkeye54 on May 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Yeah, some people just don’t get how it’s done… I bet they’ll still be complaining after Biden beats Hatch in 2016….

Gingotts on May 23, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Great speech by Senator Cruz! I totally agree!

FloatingRock on May 23, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Insert maniacal laughter here.

cozmo on May 23, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Why the fuc* did we nominate this complete jackass to run as a Republican?

Jaibones on May 23, 2013 at 5:10 PM

“We” didn’t, frankly.

I hate the nominating process – squishy states get to decide who the GOP nominee is, so what should we expect? Change this and let Texas go first, or near first, and see what happens. As it is, the nominee is effectively in place before you get solidly conservative states into the equation.

I suspect the GOP like it that way, even though the current arrangement doesn’t seem to be working too well for them.

Midas on May 23, 2013 at 5:24 PM

The muttering and teeth grinding you hear in the background is McCain.

batter on May 23, 2013 at 5:24 PM

So how is MegaMac reacting to Cruz ?
She must be sooooooo p1$$ed :O

burrata on May 23, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Killing McCain with kindness.
niiiiiiiiiice.

Will anyone from the Sunday shows ask him about his reaction to Cruz’s verbal slaughter?

renalin on May 23, 2013 at 5:26 PM

chasdal on May 23, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I think he sorta did.

Now I will note that my friend from Arizona questioned the knowledge of those who are objecting. And he suggested that perhaps our knowledge was lacking, because this could not be done [i.e., requiring 60 votes, to prevent the Senate from raising the debt ceiling by simple majority– de rig]. Well, I know my friend from Arizona is a long veteran of this body. And he surely knows that in 1987 and 1990 it was done… And I know my friend from Arizona is well aware of that, because he is such an esteemed historian of this body. He knows not only can it be done but it has been done.

de rigueur on May 23, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I didn’t quite understand the issue from reading Erika’s post last night, and to tell the truth, it seemed to me that McCain’s argument was somewhat reasonable. Cruz’ speech here made quite clear the shenanigans attempted here via procedure and I’m disgusted that McCain would be trying to sell the use of this head fake on the American public.

Kudos to Cruz for his stand on being fair and honest with the public and may McCain go to hell for his corruption.

Dusty on May 23, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I do so love that I was able to help send Senator Cruz to Washington.

catmman on May 23, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Same here.

Ward Cleaver on May 23, 2013 at 5:31 PM

i love him. he brought up the great point that some politicians just want the appearance that they did something good, and they don’t want to take any risks. they want to stay safe from criticism, so they fool the american people by making it look like they are accomplishing something- but it’s all theater. good for him- calling people out on their bs and being straightforward with the truth.

Sachiko on May 23, 2013 at 5:33 PM

McCain has been a brainwashed dupe of Hanoi since he was released.

Liam on May 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Truly, that appears to be the case.

Lourdes on May 23, 2013 at 5:34 PM

de rigueur on May 23, 2013 at 5:13 PM

you know it, McCain heard himself referred to as “my friend from Arizona” and quite listening, thinking he had humbled the Cruz missile

DanMan on May 23, 2013 at 5:34 PM

The great thing about Cruz is that because he got into office solely on the support of the grassroots, he’s not beholding to anyone or any group. Dewhurst had the cheap labor lobby behind him and the other elites, but Cruz had the people of Texas. I’d take great pleasure in sharing him with the other 49 states in 2016. That is of course, assuming amnesty is stopped, thus preventing Texas from turning blue overnight.

TxAnn56 on May 23, 2013 at 5:35 PM

McCain’s a troll Democrat

22044 on May 23, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Fixed it. Really, how long before McLame pulls a Spector?

NOMOBO on May 23, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Cruz is so much more intelligent and responsible than is McCain. There is no comparison between the two as to competency: Cruz the capable, McCain the whiny.

Lourdes on May 23, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I caught a bit of his speechifying and fit-throwing this morning on CSPAN. He is more disgusting than ever. I wanted to reach through the tv and throttle him as he continued to berate Lee. And his chumminess with Claire McCackle was infuriating.

MustLoveBlogs on May 23, 2013 at 5:40 PM

McCain’s a troll Democrat

22044 on May 23, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Fixed it. Really, how long before McLame pulls a Spector?

NOMOBO on May 23, 2013 at 5:36 PM

After I read years ago that McCain (“and family”) took their ANNUAL vacations with Ted Kennedy (“and family”), well, that was all I needed to know about McCain (“and family”).

Lourdes on May 23, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Shorter McCain: “Hey you damn kids, get off my Senate.”

John, please retire.

rbj on May 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I respect McCain for his service to our country, but that’s as far as it goes. Furthermore his lack of respect for Cruz confirms my thoughts.

Cruz has argued before the Supreme Court nine times, more than any current member of Congress. He was a clerk for Justice William Rehnquist and a passionate defender of religious speech in the public square.

Take Cruz lightly at your own peril, McCain. The new lion is here, and stick your hand in his mouth if you dare.

itsspideyman on May 23, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I suspect as much as well. The current arrangement may indeed be working out for some of them.

It would be better if there were no primaries and all the nominees had to wait until the convention and duke it out with each other to win the delegates vote.

That actually might make the conventions more exciting to watch.

hawkeye54 on May 23, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Senator Cruz is absolutely fantastic. He took down the dems and McCain in 11 mins 11 secs. He was articulate, eloquent, and principled in his speech. This is a man to watch.

Panther on May 23, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Now I will note that my friend from Arizona questioned the knowledge of those who are objecting. And he suggested that perhaps our knowledge was lacking, because this could not be done. Well, I know my friend from Arizona is a long veteran of this body. And he surely knows that in 1987 and 1990 it was done… And I know my friend from Arizona is well aware of that, because he is such an esteemed historian of this body. He knows not only can it be done but it has been done.

Did Cruz just anoint McCain the new Robert Byrd, late gasbag historian of the Senate?

Caveat emptor: Link is to a leftist eulogy of Byrd, so prepare to have your ox gored. May be worth it for lines like:

He’ll be eulogized as the soul of the Senate, the embodiment of the institution, the hero of the world’s greatest deliberative body and so on. That’s fair, I suppose, because the Senate sucks.

and

The danger of the modern Senate is that its members really have become indispensable… It’s hard to get anything done — except send pork back home. The Senate is still functioning smoothly in that respect.

And as dysfunctional as the modern Senate may be, it’s still an excellent place to work if you like to feel important. There happen to be quite a few Senators like that.

None more than McCain.

de rigueur on May 23, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Why the fuc* did we nominate this complete jackass to run as a Republican?

Think back to not so long ago, to McCain’s in-group huggery with Hillary Clinton. Remember their chumminess?

McCain helped elect Obama after Bill made his deal with Obama as to keeping Hillary around for State. But McCain as GOP nominee, essentially and I am convinced of this, was purposed to elect the Democrat, Obama.

Lourdes on May 23, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I too am so glad my vote for Cruz yielded a Senator with REAL backbone.

I bet McCain’s jaws are sore from clenching and grinding his teeth. LMAO!!

44Magnum on May 23, 2013 at 5:50 PM

The Senator from Texas is the real deal. I’d like to think McCain took it in and didn’t seeth, but I doubt it.

bflat879 on May 23, 2013 at 5:53 PM

And I think Chris Christie is the same as McCain, he just wants to move up the political ladder and be all chummy with the DemocRats.

kirkill on May 23, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Note that Cruz did all that without a ‘prompter (or a WSJ article).

A Cruz/McCain debate wouldn’t even be enjoyable after the first 2 minutes — it would be like watching somebody squish an ant over and over.

A Cruz/Obama debate, on the other hand . . . [i]that[/i] I’d pay good money to see, and enjoy every moment.

Splashman on May 23, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Oops. Dang HTML.

Splashman on May 23, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I bet McCain’s jaws are sore from clenching and grinding his teeth. LMAO!!

44Magnum on May 23, 2013 at 5:50 PM

While watching Cruz, I kept hoping they’d do cutaways to McCain. “Damn kids ain’t got no respec’! I got shot down in Viet-f***ing-Nam!”

Splashman on May 23, 2013 at 6:01 PM

A decent, smart, capable man. Send a tweet to @SenJohnMcCain & tell him to stop the big spending.

Charm on May 23, 2013 at 6:01 PM

McCain shames his father and grandpa.

Schadenfreude on May 23, 2013 at 6:05 PM

I could listen to Ted Cruz all day long. He is a true patriot who tells it like it is. I loved his smack-down of McCain; it was brilliant!

MustLoveBlogs on May 23, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Always fun to hear Cruz speak of Lilliput and Brobdingnag.
Disappointed that he wasn’t able to include Glubbdubdrib.

verbaluce on May 23, 2013 at 6:07 PM

The more I hear from Cruz, the more I like him. He stands for something and he has so much charisma that it’s no wonder Republicans fear him, never mind the Democrats.

MrX on May 23, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Can’t McConnell get McCain to sit down and shut up? He’s become a full-blown obnoxious and self-righteous a-hole.
Somebody please….tackle him would ya?

lynncgb on May 23, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Can’t McConnell get McCain to sit down and shut up?

Doesn’t work that way. He’s the crazy uncle, like Ted Kennedy was to the left. All you can do is wait for him to die.

Not that I’m suggesting anything.

*ahem*

Splashman on May 23, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Man, when the trolls are reduced to spouting gibberish they must be in bad shape.

cozmo on May 23, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I agree that McCain was brainwashed in North Vietnam, wonder if it took one or two enemas to get the job done.

savage24 on May 23, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Always fun to hear Cruz speak of Lilliput and Brobdingnag.
Disappointed that he wasn’t able to include Glubbdubdrib.

verbaluce on May 23, 2013 at 6:07 PM

AKA – “I got nothin’”

VegasRick on May 23, 2013 at 6:19 PM

AKA – “I got nothin’”

VegasRick on May 23, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Except getting quoted gets their rocks off.

Make fun of them without quoting them.

cozmo on May 23, 2013 at 6:27 PM

If anyone is ‘wacko’, it’s McCain.

GarandFan on May 23, 2013 at 6:42 PM

McCain and the GOP elitist anti-tea party crowd are going into full Cruz control and it is malfunctioning at the moment.

Maybe they’re waiting for their “gang of eight” new immigrant wing to rally behind them?

Don L on May 23, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Panther on May 23, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Great summary.
Listening to the speech is so much better than a transcript, in this case, because of his inflections and tone of voice while he is flaying McCain with the truth.

AesopFan on May 23, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Why the f*** did we nominate this complete jackass to run as a Republican?

Jaibones on May 23, 2013 at 5:10 PM

The economy was tanking and they wanted distance from it. They didn’t want to win. They (not “we”) gave McCain a participation ribbon, inscribed with I-finally-got-to-be-the-GOP-candidate-for-president, to make him go away. But, they got a trifecta. They lost, they got McCain to stop running for president and they took down an independent GOP rising star who was chosen for VP.

Fallon on May 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM

This is what you get when a member of congress loves his country first.

logman1 on May 23, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Come on down! The weather’s fine (most of the year).

txhsmom on May 23, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I just got to ride my bike home in dust storm.
Yea. Not.