Miller: On second thought, the Q&A dodge was my idea

posted at 8:41 am on May 22, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

We didn’t get to this yesterday, but this moment from IRS Commissioner Steve Miller in his testimony — this time to a Senate committee — should be noted.  Recall that when Miller testified last Friday to the House Ways and Means Committee, he was asked who at the IRS had the bright idea to set up a planted question at a Bar Association function for Lois Lerner as a strategy for admitting culpability for targeting conservatives, to which Miller expressed considerable fuzziness on the origin of this strategy (via Legal Insurrection):

Miller didn’t actually deny that he set the whole thing up, but notice that he didn’t volunteer at any time that it was his idea all along.  Yesterday, however, he finally confessed to it (via Guy Benson):

Be sure to watch Peter Roskam in the second video taking Miller to task for not disclosing information sooner to Congress about IRS targeting.  They had asked him and Douglas Shulman in earlier testimony about complaints Congress had received from constituents, and had been told nothing of the sort had been going on.  Didn’t Miller have a duty to immediately disclose that targeting had been taking place once he found out about it?  Miller told Roskam, “No, I don’t think so” — arguing that because he didn’t have all the facts that he didn’t have an obligation to inform Congress of any of them.

Put aside that this doctrine is awfully convenient for bureaucrats in dealing with Congress (“I didn’t have every last fact so I have no duty to inform Congress of anything!”).  Roskam certainly had all of the facts about whose idea the “plant” strategy was.  Why didn’t he inform the House of his full involvement in it last Friday?  I’d bet Roskam would like another round with Miller to get more answers on that point, especially after Miller’s smirking arrogance in the first round, which must be seen to be believed.

Comments

It’s sometimes hard for me to tell who’s worse — politicians or smug career bureaucrats.

Liam on May 22, 2013 at 8:44 AM

It really bothers me that this a$$hole gets to retire on my dime.

Jabberwock on May 22, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Slap him with contempt and perjury charges instantly.

Even if there’s wiggle room, the threat may make him – and others – shit their pants at the thought of testifying, let alone lying or hiding facts.

This can’t be allowed to stand.

Midas on May 22, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Someone needs to give the Steve Miller Band a haircut.

A little off the top with just a little scalp.

Sherman1864 on May 22, 2013 at 8:46 AM

The administration did it’s vanishing act with F&F, and just made that scandal go away. They stonewalled, obfuscated, denied Congressional demands, and then ignored a Contempt of Congress citation against the Attorney General until they were able to run out the clock.

At this point, it does not look like they’re going to be able to do that with the IRS one, or the DoJ’s attacks on reporters.

I still put the odds at 50/50 on whether they can make Benghazi just go away.

Hang on to your hats, folks. It’s going to be a bumpy ride.

Chris of Rights on May 22, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I’d bet Roskam would like another round with Miller to get more answers on that point, especially after Miller’s smirking arrogance in the first round, which must be seen to be believed.

Sorry no, my blood pressure won’t take a second round of this guy’s “smirking arrogance.” He did the rat-eared commie no favors on Friday or yesterday.

Happy Nomad on May 22, 2013 at 8:48 AM

It really bothers me that this a$$hole gets to retire on my dime.

Jabberwock on May 22, 2013 at 8:45 AM

So does the rat-eared commie. Feel better about the whole thing?

Happy Nomad on May 22, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Liam on May 22, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Career bureaucrats – it’s harder to get them unemployed or review what they do or correct their behavior. They are entrenched and anonymous.

ExpressoBold on May 22, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Steve Miller is the epitome of a feckless crap weasel.

gwelf on May 22, 2013 at 8:50 AM

And to think that We The People will fund his retirement.

Electrongod on May 22, 2013 at 8:51 AM

It really bothers me that this a$$hole gets to retire on my dime.

Jabberwock on May 22, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Mine too.

Electrongod on May 22, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Steve Miller is the epitome of a feckless crap weasel.

gwelf on May 22, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Crap weasels object to the comparison!

Happy Nomad on May 22, 2013 at 8:52 AM

So does the rat-eared commie. Feel better about the whole thing?

Happy Nomad on May 22, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Nope.

Electrongod on May 22, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I want every one of these smug bast*rds to feel heat and pressure for months. If House Pubs have any brass at all, they’ll ignore the lying press and go full bore. Not only do I demand of my government punishments for the scum who are responsible here, but I also want future Administrations to know the American people won’t tolerate it ever.

It’s not just the here and now that concerns me. It’s also the future.

Liam on May 22, 2013 at 8:54 AM

And while this goes on, the Gang of 8 and their organ grinders are going to shove 15 million criminals down our throats.
Just a thought.

Mimzey on May 22, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Roskam was awesome—look at what 1 Repub. from the state of IL. can accomplish…

What time is hearing today with Lyin Lois? Link? Anyone know?

hillsoftx on May 22, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Just a thought.

Mimzey on May 22, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I don’t think it’s going to be as easy as they hope.

Liam on May 22, 2013 at 8:58 AM

“Ooooohhhh…that dodge, I thought you meant the other dodge.”

Bishop on May 22, 2013 at 8:59 AM

He could have taken the “get out of jail free” White House option…

“I cannot discuss any of this because it may interfere with an ongoing criminal investigation…”

Carney seems to have that one down pat.

coldwarrior on May 22, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Yesterday at this same hearing Sen. Orin Hatch was on all the news shows. He brought a lot of attention to himself when he accused Miller of lying “by omission.”

Hatch made the assertion with the severe look and tone of a angry father berating his 8-year-old son. The cameras showed Miller looking flustered and confused (since the comment by Hatch was crafted so that there was no reasonable response that could be made).

I thought: “Why is HATCH of all people grandstanding like this? He hates the Tea Party and is about as corruptly squishy a Senator as we’ve got.”

I did remember an article I’d read recently which argued that all of these scandals would give the RINOs in the Senate cover to help launch amnesty. The article pointed out that Rubio was talking tough about the IRS (his “we’ve become a third world country” comment) so that he could hoodwink everyone into believing he was a conservative and could then vote for amnesty without too much blowback.

It turns out that Hatch was a key vote on the Judiciary Committee which just yesterday voted to allow the vote for amnesty to go to the Senate floor.

In related news, Hatch has apparently over the last few days made a deal with Chuckie to vote for amnesty when the Senate vote comes up (but has asked for certain concessions from the Dems which will help business interests in return. Gee, thanks).

In other words, Hatch is, as we already knew, a weasel, who’s only grandstanding with the IRS scandal to divert attention from his vote yesterday in the Judiciary Committee and, coming up soon, his vote on amnesty.

Keep your eye on the ball, everyone. Fundamental transformation continues.

Burke on May 22, 2013 at 9:00 AM

So does the rat-eared commie. Feel better about the whole thing?

Happy Nomad on May 22, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Nope.

But at least Obama is visible for us to spitball at. This Miller clown, and those like him, are able to, for the most part, hide in obscurity and do their damage. Then, when questioned, toss out bureaucratic bs to avoid an answer.

Jabberwock on May 22, 2013 at 9:00 AM

“Unfortunately you’ve grown up hearing voices that incessantly warn of government as nothing more than some separate, sinister entity that’s at the root of all of our problems. Some of these same voices do their best to gum up the works. They’ll warn that tyranny is always lurking just around the corner. You should reject these voices. Because what they suggest is that our brave and creative and unique experiment in self rule is somehow just a sham with which we can’t be trusted.” -Obooba

In other words, “Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain… the great and powerful Ozbama has spoken!”

Akzed on May 22, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Miller:

On second thought, the Q&A dodge was my idea

He checked his “notes” before coming out with this statement.

ToddPA on May 22, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I don’t think it’s going to be as easy as they hope.

Liam on May 22, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I hope you’re right.
That there is even hope that such a boondoggle could pass irritates me. The problem with these leftists is that they never stop. Like rats that are determined to gnaw their way into your house. They will just keep trying. Thats how all the little incremental movements were made that has us in the predicament that we are now in.

Mimzey on May 22, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Mimzey on May 22, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I agree. Which is why I don’t only want to see this corrupt Administration taken down by the laws and ideals they ignore. I want to see liberalism, as an ideology, so totally discredited the American people will never allow it in power again for a century. I want to see anyone who admits to being liberal shunned by family and friends, by society as a whole.

Of course that’ll never happen in my lifetime, but it would be healthy for the country.

Liam on May 22, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Akzed on May 22, 2013 at 9:00 AM

“Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.”

Or,

“They’ll warn that tyranny is always lurking just around the corner. You should reject these voices.”

Which has the best interests of a free people in mind, which does not?

Tyranny is tyranny…whether under George III, or that funny mustache guy from Braunau, or that guy who had that little red book.

The people ignoring tyranny, rejecting the possibility of tyranny, especially in its infancy, is how evil men gain power.

Edmund Burke had it right.

“All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.”

Team Obama is banking on “good men” doing nothing…whilst “bad men” purposefully set about doing what they will…

A couple of guys over at IRS, a few at the FBI, maybe a couple at DoJ, or the VA, or Defense or Homeland Security…low level guys, of course….and soon…fait accompli…whatcha gonna do?

coldwarrior on May 22, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Miller:

On second thought, the Q&A dodge was my idea

He checked his “notes” before coming out with this statement.

ToddPA on May 22, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Those must be the magical notes that he had and then didn’t have…and then didn’t know if he had them or not.

workingclass artist on May 22, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Steve Miller…Pompatus … of shrug.

Well, done.

farsighted on May 22, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I wonder who told him to cop to the question plant.

Dexter_Alarius on May 22, 2013 at 9:35 AM

It really bothers me that this a$$hole gets to retire on my dime, as early as 52

Jabberwock on May 22, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Finished that thought for ya.

MNHawk on May 22, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Dude looks like Mr. Potato with a bad Toupee.

oldroy on May 22, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Keep your eye on the ball, everyone. Fundamental transformation continues.

Burke on May 22, 2013 at 9:00 AM

*shaking my head*

Hate is such a strong word but I think I hate some of these critters, A LOT.

Fallon on May 22, 2013 at 9:48 AM

So Scooter Libby did hard time but these D-bags get to blatantly lie and smirk about it and go on to better jobs?

The Banana Republic of America.

jnelchef on May 22, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Who knew Donnie Iris was such a liberal tool?

kirkill on May 22, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Put aside that this doctrine is awfully convenient for bureaucrats in dealing with Congress (“I didn’t have every last fact so I have no duty to inform Congress of anything!”).

That attitude should really grate on the Senators and Congressmen. The bureaucracy is supposed to be answerable to them; that attitude of making the legislative branch irrelevant should wake up a few of them to realize that they are funding unanswerable tyrants who now even view the branch that funds them with contempt. Congress still holds the purse strings; defunding some of those agencies, or starvation funding them would send a strong message.

AZfederalist on May 22, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Slap him with contempt and perjury charges instantly.

kunegetikos on May 22, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Let’s have the FBI “interview” him….

Worked for Todashev.

Would serve to loosen a lot of lips in the Administration regime.

coldwarrior on May 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Seeing as how these SOBs completely trampled on the Constitutional rights of Americans, I believe turnabout is fair play. Military members should walk into his office, put a bag over his head, and take it off when he is aboard a military C-130 taxi-ing down the runway. He should be told we are tired on ths BS and that the continuous assault on the American people has been deemed equivalent to a TERRORIST attack, as the IRS has ‘terrorized’ the American people. He should be told he and others, from this and other scandals, are being taken to GITMO for further ‘questioning’ away from Congress.

By the time you circle the airfield several times or land at the next nearest airport he will have wet himself & given up everything he knows…not necessarily in that order. Have him sign the stenographer’s copy of the conversation/admission, then let him off the plane. His further punishment should be signing a document rofessing he would not & banning him from EVER working for the Federal Govt again! If found to have committed a crime, a fine and/or jail time could also be applied.

HUAH!

easyt65 on May 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM

*shaking my head*

Hate is such a strong word but I think I hate some of these critters, A LOT.

Fallon on May 22, 2013 at 9:48 AM

It’s really hard to decide who is most despicable: hard-left radicals like Schumer (who at least are honestly Marxist); pathetic useful idiots and tools like “I-never-understood-economics” McCain; or scheming dissemblers who pander to and court conservatives while privately holding them in contempt like Rubio and Hatch.

Burke on May 22, 2013 at 11:23 AM

These guys should ALL be put under the jail (as my father would have said) for their total and complete contempt of Congress. I have my problems with Congress, but I’m not paid to answer to them, and the political appointees and various IGs are.

IMO, they are holding us in utter and complete contempt, also. We have no right to know what these snotty superior anuses are doing with our money.

jclittlep on May 22, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I still put the odds at 50/50 on whether they can make Benghazi just go away.

Hang on to your hats, folks. It’s going to be a bumpy ride.

Chris of Rights on May 22, 2013 at 8:48 AM

The IRS actions touched the lives of hundreds of “everyday Americans” directly, and a continued politicization of the tax office endangers thousands more; the DoJ actions touched the lives of fewer, but more potent, victims.
By contrast,the F&F and Benghazi scandals affected only a handful, and are not something that can be seen to threaten the public as a whole directly (but may those who died have justice, and sooner rather than later).

AesopFan on May 22, 2013 at 2:32 PM