Must see: The dog in the rubble

posted at 6:01 pm on May 21, 2013 by Allahpundit

I was going to Greenroom it, but after 24 hours of despair we all need this. The front page will make it reach a bit further to those who haven’t seen it yet. How does it feel to lose everything you had and then suddenly have everything you need? You’ll see. If you’re looking for a hopeful tableau in the wake of the Moore twister, you can’t do better than a granny joyously hugging her little dog in the ruins of her home.

Oh, and if you’re looking for villains beyond Mother Nature (it’s a firm rule of modern politics that all natural disasters must have partisan malefactors), the left thoughtfully nominates Tom Coburn and Jim Inhofe for the crime of supporting federal disaster aid to their home state but insisting that the spending be offset by cutting less critical expenditures. The proper response to any emergency is to blindly throw boatloads of money that we don’t have at it with little accountability for how it’s spent. We’ll know how much they really care about Oklahoma by how willing they are to keep funnelling money into non-emergency spending elsewhere.

Comments

awwww

ted c on May 21, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Nice!

JusDreamin on May 21, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Adorable lady.

How moving.

Critters are the best.

Schadenfreude on May 21, 2013 at 6:05 PM

The Commies have no idea of the spirit of the America people…we will not give in. Damn!

d1carter on May 21, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Woof!

(damn allergies acting up again…)

Bruno Strozek on May 21, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I have to give Ms Garcia a lot of credit — she kept it together a lot better than I would have if that had been my little dog crawling out of the debris. Oklahomans are tough!

cynccook on May 21, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Heartwarming.

So glad for this lady.

portlandon on May 21, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Don’t you love how the good folks of OK don’t mope, don’t blame anyone else, thank God, and move on.

How different from NO they are.

Schadenfreude on May 21, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Thanks AP … I hadn’t seen this … very touching.

ORrighty on May 21, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Well, the lady may know exactly what happened, but Cassy or Bassy is still in wtf happened mode.

Blake on May 21, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Very nice!

Liam on May 21, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Must See II, the photo essay from dailymail.

The aerial shot of the trail of destruction is heartbreaking.

tom daschle concerned on May 21, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I don’t know why my eyes are watering. It must be my allergies.

Lily on May 21, 2013 at 6:12 PM

I was going to yell at the cameraman for not helping the poor woman pick up and cuddle her dog, then I remembered I once videotaped my son falling down a flight of steps……

ctmom on May 21, 2013 at 6:14 PM

tears in the eyes…

awesome

cmsinaz on May 21, 2013 at 6:14 PM

thanks for posting it AP. Every time I see it, I need a Kleenex. Home Depot opened up it’s warehouse yesterday sheltering the animals that were wandering around and brought in vets to handle their medical care too. After reading about the close to 100 horses lost, this is heartwarming.

Good luck to this lady and her fur family.

CoffeeLover on May 21, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Banks and courthouses are good places to take shelter since they have large vaults.

Blake on May 21, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Really heartwarming. So glad she’ll have her little friend to help her get through this.

crrr6 on May 21, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Dang, I must be heartless.

I fail to be moved over this. When I watched it, all I could think of was the teacher who covered children at the school. Then they all got covered by a car.

cozmo on May 21, 2013 at 6:18 PM

RE: Cole and Inhofe…
The following have each donated
NBA Thunder player, Kevin Durant – 1 Million dollars
NBA Thunder – 1 Million dollars
Koch Industries – 1 Million dollars
Chesapeake Energy – 1 Million dollars
Devon Energy 2.5 Million dollars
The people of Oklahoma step up to the plate! The government may get to keep their stinking money!

fbcmusicman on May 21, 2013 at 6:20 PM

cozmo on May 21, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Both are moving.

Schadenfreude on May 21, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Good news is, she found her dog before Obama arrived for his photo ops and a meal.

TXUS on May 21, 2013 at 6:21 PM

cozmo on May 21, 2013 at 6:18 PM

People there are going through hell, some worse than others. You take the little nuggets of joy where you can get them and pray for all of them.

crrr6 on May 21, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Not only did they find the dog, but he appears to be perfectly fine, as is she !
Answered prayers, indeed.
Sweeeeeet.

pambi on May 21, 2013 at 6:22 PM

That dog was like “Holy effin shiite, what was that all about? DON’T DO THAT, MOM!”

Bishop on May 21, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Simply perfect!

stacman on May 21, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Probably a conservative dog. Just more fodder for a hilarious joke on The Daily Show.

Cicero43 on May 21, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Awesome video.

dogsoldier on May 21, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I spent the day working in Carney, Oklahoma where our church is operating a Baptist Disaster Relief Laundry Trailer unit. By 2 o’clock this afternoon we had already washed and dried 26 loads of laundry.

If you want to help may I suggest a place where 100% of your donation will be spent on Disaster Relief for Oklahoma. Oklahoma Baptist Disaster Relief Donations

fbcmusicman on May 21, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Bishop on May 21, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I thought the same thing !!!
:-)

pambi on May 21, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I hope no one in the WH wakes up Obama to show him this video….he might want to go to OK right away …for a meal :(

burrata on May 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM

fbcmusicman on May 21, 2013 at 6:25 PM

KUDOS.
I know the Dallas Baptist Men (if that’s correct) are ALWAYS at the ready, and do wondrous work.

pambi on May 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Yeah, haven’t heard one Oklahoman wail, “where’s the govt?” Not one.

Glad her dog is ok. Cute little terrier survivor.

JAM on May 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM

burrata on May 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Of course he’d bring his own feast, while our suffering fellow Americans have to make due with MREs from FEMA. :-( x2

Liam on May 21, 2013 at 6:31 PM

She could be any Granny!!

Love the mumu she is wearing. And “life in the big city” comment was video gold.

I got kin in the Sooner state and they are tough cookies.

PappyD61 on May 21, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I always believe that local churches are the best way to make donations. They live there, you are not paying for their lodging or flights, they know what people need and are their to disperse it.

Blake on May 21, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Yeah, haven’t heard one Oklahoman wail, “where’s the govt?” Not one.
JAM on May 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM

So true, not a shred of bitterness, not even a curse word for anybody ! There used to be a word for that, I can’t recall !

burrata on May 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Dang, I must be heartless.

cozmo on May 21, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I understand how you feel, here’s a video interview with two brave teachers who were able to keep all of their children safe.

cynccook on May 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Dang allergies.

Obviously nothing is more critical to Oklahoma right now than some cowboy poetry.

rbj on May 21, 2013 at 6:36 PM

burrata on May 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM

American!

Liam on May 21, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I hope she has some where to go now. I kept getting interrupted during this story.

And that is so amazing! And so cool.

Oh my.

petunia on May 21, 2013 at 6:39 PM

What a heartwarming video..made my eyes water a little.

Today at work, I had to tell some people about some extra work they will need to do because I missed something testing.

Before they threw me off the building, I showed them my wallpaper pic of my dog on my phone. She is a real cutie, and they decided to let me live after I asked them to find a good home for my dog after they …did me in.

Ok, I was being my normal funny overly dramatic self, but they really did like the photo.

One pet crawling out of the rubble means little to us, but RAISES MORALE and can inspire people.

It is sort of like a tree sapling rising up out of an area from a fire.

You can’t keep a good doggie down I guess.

KirknBurker on May 21, 2013 at 6:39 PM

rbj on May 21, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Exactly!

petunia on May 21, 2013 at 6:39 PM

“I know exactly what happened”

What a great LADY and I am so happy for her and her best friend!!

It’s dusty in here.

dddave on May 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I’ve seen this posted a number of places today. I watch it every time I see it and tear up every time.

Fallon on May 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM

You can’t believe some of the comments after the DM article:

How dare she pray that her dog live!!!!!
How dare she pray!!!

Blake on May 21, 2013 at 6:43 PM

fbcmusicman

Thank you for the local charity info! I just donated.

JAM on May 21, 2013 at 6:43 PM

pambi on May 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I happen to know the couple who had set up the Baptist Disaster Incident Command in Shawnee, Oklahoma yesterday and was told to move the Incident Command to First Baptist, Moore. They told me that the Texas Baptist Incident Command will be setting up in Moore as well!

fbcmusicman on May 21, 2013 at 6:44 PM

burrata

I can think of several! Independence, self-reliance, class, dignity, etc.

JAM on May 21, 2013 at 6:47 PM

American!

Liam on May 21, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Gawd I had forgotten …living in the
Welfare Republic of Mehico del norte ( a k a CA)
makes you forget so many things !!

burrata on May 21, 2013 at 6:48 PM

The dog looks a lot like Toto.

So happy for the outcome!

GrandeMe on May 21, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Glad this lady’s story had a happy ending. Cute dog.

AZCoyote on May 21, 2013 at 6:51 PM

It is sort of like a tree sapling rising up out of an area from a fire.

You can’t keep a good doggie down I guess.

KirknBurker on May 21, 2013 at 6:39 PM

It means a lot to me.

There is a new way to cover natural disasters. Tons of reporters and little information. I can understand not showing live video rescues, out of respect, but come on.

This was a real live rescue. The lady was a sweetheart, filled with guts, and her dog, that was Toto. There is no place like home. I watched it three times. I wanted to hug both

entagor on May 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Means a lot to me, too.

Blake on May 21, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Gawd I had forgotten …living in the
Welfare Republic of Mehico del norte ( a k a CA)
makes you forget so many things !!

burrata on May 21, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Neither me nor any of our fellows will let you dare forget.

And the trolls don’t rate, they don’t fit among us.

Liam on May 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Tough-as-nails little doggeh too.

Pretty sure I wouldnt look that good after getting tossed all over the yard and buried by the Tornado to End All Tornadoes.

Sacramento on May 21, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I’m wondering if I’m the only one that notices this.

Anybody seeking to cover the story without mention of God has mighty little video content to use. That woman says that the survival of her dog means that God answered both her prayers.

Where are those demanding that FEMA roll through and make their lives better immediately? Shep Smith is on the scene so he could easily hold workshops in how to irrationally demand stuff in the midst of a natural disaster.

Happy Nomad on May 21, 2013 at 7:14 PM

entagor on May 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM

IMO the key point was that this was a woman that had just lost everything. When she said her dog was somewhere in the rubble she didn’t mean the dog was still living. But there was no hint of despair. No idea that the government should provide for her needs. That made the reunion all the sweeter.

Happy Nomad on May 21, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Wow, you Babtists are always the first on scene. Us Whiskeypalians are too busy sleeping it off apparently. Actually last night I was sending drunken tweets to the odious Senator Whitehouse. What a creep.

Anyway, that doggie looks just like my mom’s dog, and the woman a bit like my mom. These allergy attacks that we all are having are just a mess, aren’t they?

juliesa on May 21, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Happy Nomad on May 21, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Yeah, but…When physical Man loses faith in the physical that fails all the time, he’s going to curse God first.

Not to try getting into a theological debate, but I think that’s how the antichrist is going to come about. He’s going to be the ‘fix’ of it all. Then, the world will call him ‘God’.

Liam on May 21, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I saw that earlier, it was so very heartwarming!

scalleywag on May 21, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Oh….these darn allergies.

NeoKong on May 21, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I just got home from being in Moore this afternoon. It is a surreal sight to see. It looks different on the ground than one tv, when you’re actually standing in the place a persons home, who’s beside you, stood only yesterday afternoon. Now they’re just salvaging pieces.

Genuine on May 21, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Other people are still looking for their pets. this reminds me of a dog who was rescued when his owners were killed by a tornado in Eagle Pass. He was so scared it took the humane society folks a couple of days to catch him, and his leg had to be amputated, but he has a happy home with another family in San Antonio. Doesn’t like storms or loud noises much though.

juliesa on May 21, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Thanks a lot…now I’m crying all over the place. And my nose is running too.

Seriously, nice bit there. I know how I felt about leaving my animals when our house caught fire. It was so smokey when we woke up, the only thing we could rescue was ourselves, out the bedroom window), and how happy I was that they all survived.

sage0925 on May 21, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Liam on May 21, 2013 at 7:22 PM

By that standard we’re about 3/4ths way there. Hell, the President was featured as the devil on cable TV.

Happy Nomad on May 21, 2013 at 7:42 PM

All the people I spoke to today were already laughing, making jokes, and offering anything they had to anyone who needed it. Fighting insane traffic to try to find a way in just to help. People stopping offering drinks and even to fire up the grill they had hooked up to their truck to make hot dogs and hamburgers to myself and the family I was with at the moment.

People WELCOMED you into their homes in every direction, when their homes are nothing but sticks and bricks right now.

Strangers, who you both would have walked right past each other at wal-mart exchanging only a polite “scuse’ me” as you crossed paths days ago.

These things bring out the best in people.

Genuine on May 21, 2013 at 7:44 PM

fbcmusicman on May 21, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Anybody know where the Atheist Disaster Incident Command is setting up? I’d like to send them a donation.

Anybody…..anybody?

Beuller?

Tomblvd on May 21, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Neither me nor any of our fellows will let you dare forget.

Liam on May 21, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Now you know why I hang out with you all, I feel so isolated and lonely surrounded by my true hardcore lefty almost hostile
– family members , neighbors and some of the friends.

burrata on May 21, 2013 at 7:48 PM

(now i have to clean up all this dust from my keyboard)

Seven Percent Solution on May 21, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I played this earlier myself a couple times. My heart swelled with emotion and my eyes got a little teary.

A truly heartwarming story of joy in the midst of destruction. God bless the lady and her little dog.

PatriotGal2257 on May 21, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Genuine on May 21, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I was living in New Orleans not too long after Katrina. Same thing. For me (who had no direct connection with the storm) the most moving thing was the column in the paper’s food section.
New Orleans is a food-oriented city. People evacuated with their wedding photos and other important documents without thinking about their recipes. They lost them in the storm. The pleas for the lost recipes were very moving. Because those asking had not just lost a good way to prepare shrimp, they lost part of who they were.

I suspect many in Moore have that same loss of self tonight. I’m as unable to articulate how to move forward to these people than I have ever been. I suspect the woman in the video has the only real choice. You rejoice what was spared and simply move on.

Happy Nomad on May 21, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Bishop on May 21, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Reminds me of the joke about a dog that went to the vet to get neutered; afterwards was warning his buddies to never get in the car, cause you never know what body parts will be missing later…

That dog is *never* going in a little bathroom again.

Midas on May 21, 2013 at 8:05 PM

If Barack had a typcial White woman, racist grandma…

Seriously, though, THIS is America. THIS is why we will win eventually.

SouthernGent on May 21, 2013 at 8:06 PM

fbcmusicman on May 21, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Yeah, I’m in awe of the Texas Baptist folks (really, all of them that do same thing) – they have an army of retired and semi-retired and general volunteer men who are on perpetual standby, basically, ready to descend with trailers of equipment, food prep, etc, on areas like this and NO and… when/wherever needed.

Midas on May 21, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Seriously, though, THIS is America. THIS is why we will win eventually.

SouthernGent on May 21, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Yeah, you notice how in the interview she not once was wondering what Obama was going to do for her. She lamented the loss of her dog but never made it seem like she needed government to help her. This is why the left hates flyover country.

Happy Nomad on May 21, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Wow! That brings back memories. When I was about 11 years old a small tornado ripped the roof and front porch off of our home in the wee dark hours of the morning. We were all in bed asleep and didn’t hear it till it was too late. It was raining in my bedroom. We all ran for the storm cellar. As I was dodging around the debris of our front porch in a flash of lightning I saw my dog “Brownie” being buffeted by high winds in our back yard, she was terrified. I broke from my family and made a beeline for the dog completely unconcerned that large pieces of our neighbor’s barn were flying through the air all around me. All I could think of was that my dog was in danger and I was going after her. My Mother tried to catch me but being young and agile I evaded capture and she lost track of me in the storm. I somehow managed to grab the dog and make it back to my family and the storm cellar relatively unscathed. My Mother was very upset with me, to say the least but hey it was my dog. I’d do it again today albeit a little less agilely.

Oldnuke on May 21, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Touching but I’m going to play to jerk here for a moment. I hope this is true but my distrust of CBS for having a knack for faking news is ringing like a church bell in the back of my mind.

I noticed that the dog just happened to be just below camera view when it was discovered. The cameraman just dropped the view down and there it was. The thing that struck me was how the dog didn’t seem to be interested in the old lady at all. In fact as the clip closes the dog seems to be running towards someone just off camera. Not a mark on the dog. They only pulled off three items off the dog. Sorry CBS, I’m calling shenanigans.

Egfrow on May 21, 2013 at 9:15 PM

“Are you able to comprehend what happened”
“I know exactly what happened here”
God bless this woman. Indeed, she is America’s granny.

diogenes on May 21, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I heard that Home Depot set up an animal surgery and intake for misplaced pets hoping to be reunited with their families.

Cindy Munford on May 21, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Great video Allah…So glad Granny and her dog made it.

That’s good story oldnuke.

workingclass artist on May 22, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Am I the only one that thinks that that was a staged event. Kind of a replay if you will.

Dasher on May 22, 2013 at 11:18 AM