Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on May 19, 2013 by Allahpundit

As could be expected, the folks in the [IRS] determinations unit on Main Street have had trouble concentrating this week. Number crunchers, whose work is nonpolitical, don’t necessarily enjoy the spotlight, especially when the media and the public assume they’re engaged in partisan villainy.

“We’re not political,’’ said one determinations staffer in khakis as he left work late Tuesday afternoon. “We people on the local level are doing what we are supposed to do. . . . That’s why there are so many people here who are flustered. Everything comes from the top. We don’t have any authority to make those decisions without someone signing off on them. There has to be a directive.”

***

Pfeiffer denied that there was any influence from the White House.

“But don’t take my word for it,” he continued. “Take the word of the independent inspector general, who said that he found no evidence that there was any influence from anywhere outside of the IRS.”

Pfeiffer also said the White House had not seen the inspector general’s report last week detailing the IRS scandal until its release…

“We are going to work with Congress, as the president said, in legitimate oversight,” Pfeiffer said. “What we’re not going to participate in is partisan fishing expeditions designed to distract from the real issues at hand.”

***

With the White House slashing its way through the recent brush of controversy, the president is putting out the message that he’s focused on the economy as the administration enters another week of hearings on Capitol Hill…

His chief of staff, Denis McDonough, is telling White House staff to devote no more than 10% of their time to the controversies involving the Internal Revenue Service, the Justice Department and the terror attack in Benghazi, Libya, a Democrat aware of McDonough’s instructions confirmed to CNN…

Clearly there are no time cards floating around but the message was conveyed that the White House needs to focus on its jobs agenda and not get knocked off course by the rest.

***

Just four months after his second inauguration, the president is buffeted by gushing investigations, smug and deranged Republicans, and cat-who-ate-the-canary conspiracists. The man who promised in 2008 to make government cool again is instead batting away charges that he has made government “Nixonian” again…

It turns out that Treasury officials knew during the 2012 campaign that an investigation into the targeting was going on. But, enhancing his image as a stranger in a strange land, the president said he learned about it from news reports on May 10. Then he waited three days to descend from the mountain and express outrage…

The president should try candid; wistful and petulant aren’t getting him anywhere. The Republicans who are putting partisan gain above solving the country’s problems deserve a smackdown.

***

President Obama’s professed ignorance of the targeting of conservatives by one government agency and his support of tracking journalists’ sources by another highlight one of the great paradoxes of his presidency: Sometimes he uses his office as aggressively as anyone who’s held it; other times he seems unacquainted with the work of his own administration.

The controversies over the Internal Revenue Service’s scrutiny of tea party and other conservative groups and the Justice Department’s surveillance of Associated Press journalists are only the latest examples of Obama’s a la carte governing style…

Aides say it was an unfortunate coincidence that two controversies erupted simultaneously in areas that do not necessarily fall under Obama’s direct power. Yet that reality also may have effectively shielded Obama from learning about red flags that arise beyond the bubble of the Oval Office.

“It’s one thing for the president to make sure he doesn’t say or do anything that might undermine the independence of agencies like the Justice Department or the IRS,” Tribe said. “It’s quite another for the president to insulate himself to a degree that creates the false public impression of disinterest or indifference.”

***

Some of his wounds are self-inflicted. For five years the Obama administration has displayed a destructive tendency to try to have it both ways. In a press conference Thursday, the president did so again.

In lawyerly responses, Obama said he supported journalists’ constitutional right to report but stood by the fact that his administration has carried out more criminal leak investigations than all previous administrations combined . He called for the ouster of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad but prevaricated on how the United States would respond to apparent Syrian government chemical weapons attacks.

Obama came into office promising openness – but from counter-terrorism to domestic policy, his White House has been secretive, insular and controlling.

***

Yes, the various scandals have been politicized this week. That’s the American we live in today, but even among Obama voters, there should be genuine disappointment. This not the President Obama we voted for, not even close…

[T]his week was one head-shaking moment too many for me, and it appears from the president’s sinking approval rating that others – including some who gave Obama a real chance – are with me. As a registered Republican, I thought long and hard about whether to vote for Obama, but I crossed party lines, as did many of my young peers. I wanted a more transparent and accountable government. I wanted America to make a very different statement after the Bush years.

Yet even setting aside Benghazi and the IRS conservative targeting ordeal, which is a big set aside considering reports now suggest that officials in Washington were very much involved, there’s still plenty that makes Obama’s presidency eerily reminiscent of the Bush administration, especially when it comes to these “trust us, this is in the name of national security” kind of statements…

This isn’t the president so many took to the streets to cheer on in 2008. And the blame for that can’t be placed solely on partisan politics or the media’s thirst for a good scandal.

***

The same goes for much, but not all, of what the federal government does today. Should a president be worrying about security at diplomatic posts in violent countries? Absolutely. National security is one of the federal government’s core functions.

Should a president be worrying about whether or not taxpayer dollars are properly invested in the right energy companies? Not so much.

The myriad scandals currently drowning the White House are not just an indictment of Obama’s leadership. They are, more importantly, an indictment of the liberal view of an expansive federal government.

The American people simply have too little control over the federal bureaucracy to trust that it will properly manage large sectors of the economy like health care, education or agriculture.

***

GEORGE WILL: Big government. The best construction on the IRS scandal is big government is impossible to monitor. That’s the lesson of this.

RON FOURNIER: But any government has to be trusted.

WILL: Any government has to be trusted. But the bigger the government gets, the bigger the distrust ought to be and will be.

***

“This is big-government cronyism.”

***

While the Internal Revenue Service maintains it was not focusing on conservative groups out of political bias, Sen. Rand Paul claimed Sunday there was a “written policy” floating around the agency that said IRS officials were “targeting people who were opposed to the president.”

“And when that comes forward, we need to know who wrote the policy and who approved the policy,” the Republican senator from Kentucky said on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

Pressed for more precise details about the memo he was referring to, Paul said he hasn’t seen such a policy statement but has heard about it.

“Well, we keep hearing the reports and we have several specifically worded items saying who was being targeted. In fact, one of the bullet points says those who are critical of the president. So I don’t know if that comes from a policy, but that’s what’s being reported in the press and reported orally,” he told CNN’s chief political correspondent Candy Crowley. “I haven’t seen a policy statement, but I think we need to see that.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Ken?

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:02 AM

anti control?

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:05 AM

stardust?

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:05 AM

patty?

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Kiesha?

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Ming Fu?

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Bald eagle?

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:07 AM

No? Teach me. I want to learn that thing you people do . . . what with the flapping and noise-making. :)

Axe on May 20, 2013 at 12:57 AM

You could say “KA2 and Axe are bashing the trolls” but not “…are lurking the trolls”.

KOOLAID2 and Axe are lurking co-conspirators unwittingly.

SparkPlug on May 20, 2013 at 12:17 AM

OTOH, Sparky could mean “KA2 and Axe are “lurking co-conspirators” unwittingly”, so that “lurking” modifies “co-cons” instead of being a verb-form (using the quotes to make that clear).

(Sorry, this brings out the Grammar Genes (I get them from my mother, who taught English in Jr High)).

AesopFan on May 20, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Jim Shu?

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:08 AM

This could signal the end of the EU.

AesopFan on May 20, 2013 at 1:08 AM

AesopFan on May 20, 2013 at 1:07 AM

*ice pick* to my head.

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Here’s one, no particular reason just I like it.

arnold ziffel on May 20, 2013 at 1:09 AM

arnold ziffel on May 20, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Couldn’t be the skirts, now would it? ;)

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:12 AM

This could signal the end of the EU.

AesopFan on May 20, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Ah, great. :)

*groan*

*ice pick* to my head.

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:08 AM

lol — I’m bailing. You should bail too. Not your groove tonight. :) You are right about the vibe. But Spark gave me an idea, so I’m going to go write a bit. Make my own trench.

– Just refreshed. The porker might have you covered. :)

Axe on May 20, 2013 at 1:12 AM

I open up my wallet
And it’s full of blood

williamg on May 20, 2013 at 12:13 AM

so i see obamanomics hoit him too

renalin on May 20, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Epic lyrics……epic song

Even though it was written and released in 1997 – it seemed to be prescient about the occurrence of 9-11. The lyrics are unmistakably the signature images of 9-11.

The groups title also seemed to be prescient about Obama’s election: they name is “Godspeed You Black Emperor”. If he’s not an Emperor – who was?

williamg on May 20, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Couldn’t be the skirts, now would it? ;)

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:12 AM

….it’s not the skirts……

….it’s what they conceal……

williamg on May 20, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Here is one I like…
No particular reason. :)
Oink.

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Couldn’t be the skirts, now would it? ;)

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:12 AM

lol, trust me until I posted it, and then went back to finish the clip did I notice. But thanks for the heads up. :)

arnold ziffel on May 20, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Axe on May 20, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Working on spread sheets,chillin’ to good tunes-
watching the thread for fun :)
Vibes..~~~
Format.
I am in trouble.

Nite- dont forget the PB&J.

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Here is one I like…
No particular reason. :)
Oink.

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:14 AM

You vewy baad girl. I likee mucho. gracias.

arnold ziffel on May 20, 2013 at 1:17 AM

….it’s what they conceal……

williamg on May 20, 2013 at 1:14 AM

No way! I m stunned! /
:D

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:18 AM

haha..anytime piggy. :)
Orange co in the house!

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:19 AM

AesopFan on May 20, 2013 at 1:07 AM

*ice pick* to my head.

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Yeah.

Phraseology is an obsession.

(I even liked diagramming sentences.)

Should be coming up in DSM-6.

AesopFan on May 20, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Here is one I like…
No particular reason. :)
Oink.

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:14 AM

…..this is gonna sound messed up but, I actually prefer the GYBE “Dead Flag Blues” video to this…..

I know…..there’s something wrong with me……

williamg on May 20, 2013 at 1:25 AM

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:08 AM
Yeah.

Phraseology is an obsession.

(I even liked diagramming sentences.)

Should be coming up in DSM-6.

AesopFan on May 20, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Dude! or Woman! seek help! lol
funny..
I hope your married..if not..I suggest not sharing that on the 1st date. :)

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:27 AM

williamg on May 20, 2013 at 1:14 AM

No way! I m stunned! /
:D

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:18 AM

…….just trying to keep you “in the loop”, there………..

……….”plays jacks with brass tacks*…..”bounce*..*snatch*……

williamg on May 20, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Stoking the fires on Benghazi-gate (via Powerline).

AesopFan on May 20, 2013 at 1:30 AM

….I managed about 40 people for a huge project recently, and at one of out “Status” meetings, I did a dramatic reading of “The Dead Flag Blues”………

…..I thought it might help morale —- but it seemed to put people “off their game”…

williamg on May 20, 2013 at 1:31 AM

williamg on May 20, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Oranges and pomegranates.
Perhaps you prefer it due to mood.

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:32 AM

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:27 AM

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:17 AM

I go crazy on spreadsheets too.
What can I say?
Just bein’ authentic.

AesopFan on May 20, 2013 at 1:33 AM

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it”. – Mark Twain

Schadenfreude on May 20, 2013 at 1:33 AM

williamg on May 20, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Reciting “The Gods of the Copybook Headings” has much the same effect.

AesopFan on May 20, 2013 at 1:34 AM

…….just trying to keep you “in the loop”, there………..

……….”plays jacks with brass tacks*…..”bounce*..*snatch*……

williamg on May 20, 2013 at 1:28 AM

lol..you school me then.

williamg on May 20, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Did you say recently you were an aspie too?
Seriously..someone did. Don’t take that wrong.

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:35 AM

AesopFan on May 20, 2013 at 1:33 AM

well drop on by anytime and have yourself a blast!lol
I detest them!
But part of my job.

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:37 AM

A history lesson relevant to the week’s events. (Still reading Powerline headlines)
(the article is about Stalin, so this is only a pseudo-Godwin)

Mr. Gellately has already written three scholarly books on Nazi Germany and so understands glowering totalitarian malice in its worst forms, as well as the effect that dictators’ decisions can have on the lives of millions of ordinary people. … “Marxist-Leninist teachings informed everything in Stalin’s life,” Mr. Gellately concludes, convincingly, “from his politics and his military strategy to his personal values.”

AesopFan on May 20, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Did you say recently you were an aspie too?
Seriously..someone did. Don’t take that wrong.

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Yes – I did. Actually, several of my “shrinks” did……I guess they know about diagnosis and all that stuff

So did members of my family……they bought me a copy of “Look Me In The Eye”….

And B9 – you have permission to talk to me any way you want…….so I would NEVER take offense at anything you say or “take it wrong”…….

williamg on May 20, 2013 at 1:39 AM

For all who still value freedom.

Schadenfreude on May 20, 2013 at 1:39 AM

AesopFan on May 20, 2013 at 1:39 AM

And Nikita Khrushchev was right “we don’t have to fight you, we’ll give you enough rope and you will hang yourselves” …paraphrased.

Schadenfreude on May 20, 2013 at 1:41 AM

On point to Ed’s post earlier today.

“Ultimately responsibility lies with the president. Obama has spent the better part of the last five years doing non-stop campaigning,” says a senior Republican Senate aide who points to the administration’s larger pattern of “using political offices to intimidate and harrass” its opponents. “When bureaucrats see the leader of an organization doing that, it shouldn’t shock us when they start doing the same. That appears to have been what happened here.”

AesopFan on May 20, 2013 at 1:43 AM

williamg on May 20, 2013 at 1:39 AM

I only thought of it..as I learned about it here
-actually. Socially awkward at times..as alt has explained.
Just a suggestion..dramatic readings usually don’t go over well to boost morale or enthusiasm.
I was a trainer for a group of around 30 myself.
Humor or a team vibe worked much better..my 2 cents.

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Schadenfreude on May 20, 2013 at 1:41 AM

When we hang the capitalists they will sell us the rope.

(This unsourced quote was actually said by Lenin)

(sometimes attributed to Khrushchev; can’t vouch for this site, though)

AesopFan on May 20, 2013 at 1:48 AM

williamg on May 20, 2013 at 1:39 AM

I only thought of it..as I learned about it here
-actually. Socially awkward at times..as alt has explained.
I was a trainer for a group of around 30 myself.
Humor or a team vibe worked much better..my 2 cents.

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Check…..yeah, got the experience to go with that…….

Another time, I played the Chris Foley video where he was “Matt Foley – Motivational Speaker” with his “I live in a Van DOWN BY THE RIVER!” speech……

That seemed to go over better…….still, some odd reactions……

williamg on May 20, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Sort of like this:

williamg on May 20, 2013 at 1:51 AM

“Well I’m here to tell you that you’re probably going to find out — AS YOU GO OUT THERE:

THAT YOU’RE NOT GOING TO AMOUNT TO JACK-SQUAT!!

williamg on May 20, 2013 at 1:54 AM

williamg on May 20, 2013 at 1:51 AM

hahaha..haven’t seen that in ages.

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Remember, remember, forever and ever
The festering heat he has brought
‘Tis no reason why his assault on America
Should ever be forgiven, or forgot

If each man and woman does what they must
The overreaching tyrant will be turned into dust
Our Lady of Justice will possess him in her breathtaking, hair raising bed
She will tingle his spine as she captures his heart and his head!

PercyB on May 20, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Because IT IS A FELONY to disclose confidential tax information to ANYONE.

If anyone at the IRS gave Reid Romney’s – or YOUR – tax information, he has committed a FELONY.

Internal Revenue Code § 6103 provides that:

all returns and return information are confidential.
IRC §7213 specifies that:

willful unauthorized disclosure of returns or return information by an employee or former employee is a felony. The penalty can be a fine of up to $5,000 or up to five (5) years in jail, or both, plus costs of prosecution.
Even unauthorised access or inspection by IRS employees is ILLEGAL and a misdemeanor. Under §7213A:

willful unauthorized access or inspection (UNAX) of taxpayer records by an employee or former employee is a misdemeanor. This applies to both paper documents and electronic information. Violators can be subject to a fine of up to $1,000 and/or sentenced to up to one year in prison.
Resist We Much on May 19, 2013 at 9:39 PM

where have you been? you need to get with the program. King Obama and his royal court declared today on national TV that the law is irrelevant. So says the king so says as all.

It a monarchy the word of the King is the only law that matters.

(yeah we might have fought a war over that but that was 200 odd years ago and histroy is such a boring subject. It’s good to be the King.)

oh pis@ boy oh piss boy.

unseen on May 20, 2013 at 2:21 AM

B9?

KCB on May 20, 2013 at 2:25 AM

B9?

KCB on May 20, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Get in bed young fella! :)

bazil9 on May 20, 2013 at 2:42 AM

I’m making waffles for b9.

SparkPlug on May 20, 2013 at 4:18 AM

Obama fundamentally transforms America (a brief primer – updated)

There was a time when the IRS acted against Al Capone. Now, under Obama, the IRS acts like Al Capone.

There was a time when the DOJ fought crime syndicates. Now, under Obama, the DOJ is a crime syndicate.

There was a time when the FBI investigated crime syndicates. Now, under Obama, the FBI investigates for a crime syndicate.

There was a time when the ATF stopped Gun Running Gangs. Now, under Obama, the ATF is a Gun Running Gang.

There was a time when the TSA protected women’s privacy at airports. Now, under Obama, the TSA inspects women’s privates at airports.

There was a time when the DOD left no man behind. Now, under Obama, every man has to watch his own behind (double meaning applies).

There was a time when people in India dreamed of coming to America to get Health Care. Soon now, under Obama, people in America will dream of going to India to get Health Care.

VorDaj on May 20, 2013 at 5:17 AM

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:

Pruitt said the seizure has made sources less willing to talk to AP journalists and, in the long term, could limit Americans’ information from all news outlets. [Emphasis added]

davidk on May 20, 2013 at 5:38 AM

^5s all around to the supporters of trollcotting!

Ed, AllahP, and the rest rightfully give us (including the leftards) a long leash when it comes to uncivil behavior which doesn’t overtly violate the TOS…we can, and should, police ourselves otherwise.

Canned Heat – “Let’s Work Together”

Anti-Control on May 20, 2013 at 5:50 AM

In a series of special reports, Breitbart News is detailing additional stories of what appears to be IRS abuse and potential involvement from other agencies and possible Senate Democratic involvement.
[Emphasis added]

davidk on May 20, 2013 at 6:02 AM

This is all conjecture, of course, all of which stems from two peculiar things: two blonde little children identified as coming from Latin America and one Chief Justice’s bizarre legal decision.

davidk on May 20, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Michael Barone nailed it over four years when he warned us of the “Coming Thugocracy”.

Who knew the gop would know about all the IRS crap last year…….and did NOTHING.

Yet Rubio and his Ruling class ilk expect us to just shut up and take the dissolution of our country by allowing tens of millions of illegals in the country amnesty……when tens of millions more in Mexico are ready to join them?

gop…..the dead party.

Democrats…..the thug party.

PappyD61 on May 20, 2013 at 6:22 AM

This is parody, right? Right?

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—President Obama used his weekly radio address on Saturday to reassure the American people that he has “played no role whatsoever” in the U.S. government over the past four years.

“Right now, many of you are angry at the government, and no one is angrier than I am,” he said. “Quite frankly, I am glad that I have had no involvement in such an organization.”

The President’s outrage only increased, he said, when he “recently became aware of a part of that government called the Department of Justice.”

“The more I learn about the activities of these individuals, the more certain I am that I would not want to be associated with them,” he said. “They sound like bad news.”

Mr. Obama closed his address by indicating that beginning next week he would enforce what he called a “zero tolerance policy on governing.”

“If I find that any members of my Administration have had any intimate knowledge of, or involvement in, the workings of the United States government, they will be dealt with accordingly,” he said.

davidk on May 20, 2013 at 6:24 AM

Interesting story on the Roberts children. Will we ever know the truth about anything?

Reminds me of the Jack Ryan divorce records story of 2004.

esr1951 on May 20, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Good Morning HA :)

until a special prosecutor is called on the irs scandal, this will be a total farce…doj who hides behind executive privilege going to do an investigation on the irs when dear leader has every confidence in holder and ingram

puhleeze

a farce

cmsinaz on May 20, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Mornin’, y’all! The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppose.- Frederick Douglass “Obama and the “Pied” Pfeiffer” My take.

kingsjester on May 20, 2013 at 6:37 AM

politico covering for dear leader….repeating the mantra that WH counsel knew of the investigation back in april but would be risking the IG’s work if she told the president? PUHLEEZE telling the president about an investigation does not mean squat unless he or his cronies acted on it….which I wouldn’t put passed this adminstration e.g. targeting specific mitt donors and harry’s rant on mitts returns…

what am i missing?

cmsinaz on May 20, 2013 at 6:39 AM

cmsinaz on May 20, 2013 at 6:39 AM

The truth.

kingsjester on May 20, 2013 at 6:44 AM

obama ally-mccain

i’m so proud

cmsinaz on May 20, 2013 at 6:45 AM

kingsjester on May 20, 2013 at 6:44 AM

tru dat

excellent take KJ :)

cmsinaz on May 20, 2013 at 6:46 AM

cmsinaz on May 20, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Thank you, ma’am.

I guarantee, HAL will be upset about it.

I don’t care.

kingsjester on May 20, 2013 at 6:48 AM

gibbsy must have gotten an email from valerie, he’s not being very harsh against the administration…

cmsinaz on May 20, 2013 at 6:50 AM

Good Morning HA :)

puhleeze

a farce

cmsinaz on May 20, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Good morning KJ and cmsinaz. :)

I love your point about the untrustworthiness of a DOJ which hides behind executive privilege. I wish we had more smart Repubs out there who knew how to effectively stick to using a few irrefutable talking points w/o straying from them.

Did you happen to catch Judge Jeanine over the weekend? The Dem operative she had on gave as bad of a performance as I’ve ever seen, refusing to answer the questions she asked while constantly trying the change the subject. None of the present scandals have good outcomes for the Dems…

Anti-Control on May 20, 2013 at 6:51 AM

cmsinaz on May 20, 2013 at 6:50 AM

No doubt. Watch Matthews dial it back today, also.

kingsjester on May 20, 2013 at 6:51 AM

Anti-Control on May 20, 2013 at 6:51 AM

hi!

i missed it…will try to find it on the web…

kingsjester on May 20, 2013 at 6:51 AM

guaranteed, just listening to gregory and crowley on yesterday’s shows they were already defending dear leader against the mean ol’gop…do not try to pin ANY of this on dear leader, where’s your proof?

like that stop them from inciting some bogus charges against gop and making the gop provide proof….

arrgghh

cmsinaz on May 20, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Barack Obama is a ‘machine politician’ from Chicago: he tells his immediate cronies what he wants done and they go and do it for him. He tries to distance himself from the resulting scandals, but as they form a coherent narrative across multiple agencies the way in which each of these scandals happens is indicative of a ‘machine’ operation with a common end goal of corruption and abuse of power. His only political defeat came at the hands of a ‘community organizer’ and Black activist Bobby Rush when Obama decided to commit the folly of running from Hyde Park for Chitown’s South Side. Nothing could deliver that to him and in his petulance he… took a vacation in Hawaii and missed a State Senate vote on important legislation. He suspended his campaign and then went about gathering support for his next campaign.

What does Obama do in defeat? Sulks, runs away and expects others to cover for his messes.

When in office he funnels money to cronies in the ‘machine’ so he can get more money for campaigning. He uses ‘machine’ mouthpieces to attack opponents, uses unscrupulous tactics to undermine individuals in his way, and then claims to be above it all when he wins… a reformer who never delivers the goods to attack the corruption and cronyism in government at ANY LEVEL AT ALL.

Now that sort of collusion, corruption and cronyism is being peeled back after 4 years of not getting any sunlight and the sight is not a pretty one. These creatures are not used to sunlight and act just as any other creature suddenly caught out in it do: they obfuscate their retreats and attempt to find something else to hide under.

The old ‘machine’ pols of his early Administration knew what was comming: Rahm, Haxelrod, Daley all left post-haste. They knew what was coming and wanted distance between themselves and Obama because they could see how it would end and didn’t savor being in Stripe City for 5-10, time off for good behavior.

So how will Obama handle these scandals? Give a few under the table orders and then take vacations, go golfing, sulk, act petulantly and expect OTHERS to take care of HIS problems for HIM. He is a creature of limited imagination, limited creativity and limited response ability and his past begins to paint his future and it ain’t gonna be pretty for any part of the political spectrum, especially the ‘true believers’ who will see some of their beloved idols in places that are all black and white and feared all over.

ajacksonian on May 20, 2013 at 6:59 AM

ajacksonian on May 20, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Excellent analysis.

esr1951 on May 20, 2013 at 7:03 AM

esr1951 on May 20, 2013 at 7:03 AM

2nd that…

cmsinaz on May 20, 2013 at 7:05 AM

morning joe digging cnn’s skewed polls showing nothing can touch dear leader…

cmsinaz on May 20, 2013 at 7:05 AM

ajacksonian on May 20, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Right on. Right on.

kingsjester on May 20, 2013 at 7:10 AM

Speaking of Michael Barone….

Also,anyone know if there are any congressional hearings today?

esr1951 on May 20, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Boo efffing Hoo. I hope everybody who gets audited for anything makes it clear that they think the IRS official is nothing but a partisan scumbag. Suggest that the only reason they are being audited is partisan activities by the IRS. That they deem the filthy IRS as the most partisan of organizations. In short, I want IRS employees to be so ashamed of where they get their paychecks they tell strangers they are a member of Congress.

Happy Nomad on May 20, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Do note my analysis rests on human nature. One can change their ways, their patterns and their habits! Alcoholics can go on the wagon, you can be born-again or even find religion for the first time in your life and mend your ways. That requires a daily, hourly and even minute-to-minute commitment to change your ways as the old ways just get so comfy and are second nature to you.

Barack Obama has never changed his ways. He has comfy habits. He has never been repentant of anything he has ever done or not done. Of new leafs turned over, there are none. He promises much, carries through never, and smiles the whole time getting others to attack critics who rightfully point out that he has not done as he said.

To change from the path of corruption to one of the true reformer takes enlightenment, admission of having done grievous and even horrific wrongs, then public and private commitment to a new way of life and knowing that those who liked you the old way will now work to undermine your willpower and determination, and perhaps even threaten your life if the instances are grave enough.

Not having done any of that, not having changed, all one must do is look at Obama’s past and his habits.

That ain’t pretty.

What comes next ain’t pretty, either, but necessary.

The Millstone of the Gods grinds slow but fine, and that is next as the closet of Imelda Marcos gets cleaned out and there are lots of other shoes to drop. Yet there will be a pattern that is, even now, clearly discernible across all the scandals. See how they operated, see how those at higher levels are attempting to act as disconnects, and yet see that they all have common points of contact, common sets of supporters in the Administration who put them there as a conscious decision.

Once is happenstance.

Twice is bad luck.

Three times is enemy action.

We are now at the magic number of three and still have more to hear about HHS, EPA and a number of other minor agencies and departments that have far too much discretionary power for their own good or yours. If the pattern holds then this is not just a few high level places but endemic across the government. We might get lucky and find out that the ‘machine’ only cared about the few, high level places in government… but that is not how the ‘machine’ operates in IL, now, is it? Obama depends upon the ‘machine’ and the ‘machine’ works to make those in its thrall depend upon it and need it more than the ‘machine’ needs the individual in question.

Rough days ahead for those who helped the ‘machine’. Rougher still on the rest of us as the ‘machine’ is exposed, and it must be exposed in a slow, methodical, grinding way through investigation. Even old D’s are coming to see the horror in this and the investigation will soon be in both Houses of Congress. That sound you hear is the Millstone turning, slowly, very slowly, and it will not stop until all that is fed into it is ground into dust.

ajacksonian on May 20, 2013 at 7:23 AM

cmsinaz on May 20, 2013 at 6:32 AM

That’s the drumbeat for moving forward. Benghazi, the IRS targeting political enemies of the rat-eared devil, The DoJ seizing phone records of innocent reporters….. It isn’t any one thing but the preponderance of the evidence proves that this is not an administration that is worthy of our trust. Time and again they have demonstrably lied to us, hidden the truth, or otherwise mislead the American people for partisan purposes. The media may be covering for the filthy bastard and his party but that doesn’t mean the people have to believe the lies.

Happy Nomad on May 20, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Happy Nomad on May 20, 2013 at 7:25 AM

its the low information voter who i’m worried about…they believe what the lsm wants them to believe…

cmsinaz on May 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Also,anyone know if there are any congressional hearings today?

esr1951 on May 20, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Congress generally doesn’t do a whole lot on Mondays. What with all those dilligent Congressmen traveling back to DC after spending the weekend back home with the folks that put them in office (seriously that’s the excuse).

The big one this week is Pickering is supposed to testify under oath about that piece of crap report written to exonerate Hillary Clinton and the rat-eared coward. It will be interesting to see if he shows. He is demanding a public hearing and Congress says they want to grill the filthy partisan bastard in private first.

Happy Nomad on May 20, 2013 at 7:37 AM

cmsinaz on May 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM

That’s why any change has to come from grass roots efforts. The stupid voter may believe what they hear on MSNBC but their opinions can be changed when a neighbor tells them the facts.

Happy Nomad on May 20, 2013 at 7:38 AM

CMS, sadly there is nothing we can do to unravel what 40 years of the Dept of Ed has done to the American people.

D-fusit on May 20, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Happy Nomad on May 20, 2013 at 7:38 AM

i’ve tried, they like keeping their fingers in their ears and say I can’t hear you…BUSH!!!

*sigh*

D-fusit on May 20, 2013 at 7:39 AM

good point

cmsinaz on May 20, 2013 at 7:45 AM

cmsinaz on May 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM

I’m just as concerned about those like HAL, who are the true believers in oppressive liberalism and hold positions in academe and the government bureaucracy.

Liam on May 20, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Happy Nomad on May 20, 2013 at 7:38 AM

The dependency class cannot be persuaded, that is where the real battle rests. They do not want to know the truth and relish in what arrives in the mail box and on the balance sheet of their govt bennies.

hillsoftx on May 20, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Liam on May 20, 2013 at 7:47 AM

yup

had a good weekend :)

cmsinaz on May 20, 2013 at 7:51 AM

OT: Did I miss it or has SWalker left HA? Haven’t seen him pop in in a long bit….

hillsoftx on May 20, 2013 at 7:51 AM

had a good weekend :)

cmsinaz on May 20, 2013 at 7:51 AM

+100 :-)

Liam on May 20, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Liam on May 20, 2013 at 7:47 AM

HAL and NP are not true believers. They are paid concern trolls. True believers would concede certain points (like the IRS did bad things) but go on to say why that is okay and justified. HAL and NP just parrot what they are told to say (what scandals, the GOP is overreaching, etc.)

Happy Nomad on May 20, 2013 at 7:54 AM

hillsoftx on May 20, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Well, then it is up to the provdider class to make sure that free ride is over.

Happy Nomad on May 20, 2013 at 7:55 AM

hillsoftx on May 20, 2013 at 7:51 AM

He got the hammer, sad.

D-fusit on May 20, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Well, then it is up to the provdider class to make sure that free ride is over.

Happy Nomad on May 20, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Amen.

hillsoftx on May 20, 2013 at 7:57 AM

hillsoftx on May 20, 2013 at 7:51 AM

He got the hammer, sad.

D-fusit on May 20, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Wow. Thanks.

hillsoftx on May 20, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Happy Nomad on May 20, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Parrots or not, they’d be dangerous if given a little authority. The one of them who thinks it’s perfectly okay for arms of the government to be oppressive has a huge amount of spite and anger in him. I can see him running amok, seeking to get back at those who slighted him even decades ago.

He is the stuff of which monsters are made.

Liam on May 20, 2013 at 8:00 AM

He got the hammer, sad.

D-fusit on May 20, 2013 at 7:56 AM

What part about his banning, which he apparently brought upon himself, do you find sad?

It’s not like Ed just dropped the guillotine on him out of the blue – he had received multiple warnings about his posts, and instead of adapting he chose to persist, and ridiculously & viciously insulted Ed afterward. Sure doesn’t seem like the behavior of a gracious guest who appreciated the privilege of posting here…

PS did you know that SWalker was once a rock star? :)

Anti-Control on May 20, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Also,anyone know if there are any congressional hearings today?

esr1951 on May 20, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Congressional schedule link

workingclass artist on May 20, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Happy Nomad on May 20, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Issa mentioned Depositions…Discovery

Likely getting the names of witnesses, and staff, etc. that State has been refusing to hand over maybe…

Those can be formally entered into the record at the public hearing without divulging the names?

workingclass artist on May 20, 2013 at 8:29 AM