About those “doctored” Benghazi e-mails…

posted at 5:01 pm on May 19, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

I understand that the posts today have focused a lot on the political talk show circuit, and some of the material being covered has some cross-over elements to it, so I apologize for that. But this one really does deserve a hearing of its own, particularly given the new “gotcha” talking points being foisted on the Left. We’re seeing a story being pushed by administration supporters, up to and including Democratic congressmen, claiming that the Benghazi e-mails were intentionally altered by the GOP for political purposes.

When you run into these smug, told-ya-so defenders of the White House, you should calmly point them to this article from Jonathan Strong at National Review, where this claim is firmly debunked. First, he starts out with the prime example of this talking point delivered (again) from Dan Pfeiffer on this morning’s round of talk shows.

Here’s the evidence that proves the Republicans are playing politics with this: They received these emails months ago, didn’t say a word about it, didn’t complain, confirmed the CIA director . . . right after that. And then last week, a Republican source provided to Jon Karl of ABC News a doctored version of the White House email that started this entire fury. After 25,000 pieces of paper that were provided to Congress, they have to doctor an email to make political hay, you know they’re getting desperate here.

That certainly does look like a lethal blow to critics of the administration… were it only true. As Jonathan points out, the history of these events is quite different than what’s being portrayed here. He breaks it down into four key points, of which two will be of particular interest.

Nothing was “doctored.” Following the House report, Steve Hayes of The Weekly Standard revealed a significant amount of new detail, followed by Jon Karl at ABC News. Both Hayes and Karl refer to summaries of the emails, meaning they presumably relied a great deal on the notes of those at the March 19 White House briefing. Karl inaccurately quotes from one email, which may have been based on faulty note-taking or some other error. While this is significant, the email in question exists and has the same core content as the email quoted by Karl — there was no wholesale fabrication.

The incorrect versions – and they were inaccurate quotes – were not generated by GOP operatives. They were extracted by ABC’s Jon Karl from notes taken by attendees at the original meeting when the White House refused to initially allow anyone to have copies which could have been used for full referencing. ABC went with the notes, being the closest thing anyone had to an official record, and the GOP worked off those notes. But even then, the “doctoring” wasn’t nearly as significant as the Democrats are making it out to be.

The differences between the two versions of the email have been overstated. At issue is the involvement of Ben Rhodes, a senior White House aide, in directing the various members of the inter-agency discussion to resolve their dispute.

Here’s the relevant part of the email as quoted by Karl:

We must make sure that the talking points reflect all agency equities, including those of the State Department, and we don’t want to undermine the FBI investigation.

Here’s the relevant sentence from the real email:

We need to resolve this in a way that respects all of the relevant equities, particularly the investigation.

The email is important because in the preceding email back-and-forth, State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland had urged that references to terrorism be removed because they could be a political liability to State. Whether Rhodes said Nuland’s objections should be accommodated explicitly or by implication is a difference, but it’s a pretty small one.

Were there differences? Yes, and we should be careful in providing an accurate record of what was written, so older versions should be expunged and replaced. But does this change the essential testimony being offered from the e-mails? Not to speak of. And what differences there are were not generated by the GOP, but by quick note taking which was picked up by Jon Karl. Just keep that in mind as the White House continues to try to squirm their way out of this.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Electrongod on May 19, 2013 at 6:02 PM

You are the one whining about paying for the Obamaphones and EBTs you know. Crazy thing is you continue paying for them even though you hate them so much. Must really hurt.

I, on the other hand, have absolutely no problem with my tax dollars going to pay for keeping Gitmo open, and for my Cult Leader continuing Bush’s illegal wars. Aren’t I Cool?

O’bama JV Cheerleading Squad on May 19, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Del Dolemonte on May 19, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I said that I would crawl over broken glass to vote AGAINST Obama.

Resist We Much on May 19, 2013 at 6:03 PM

lolololol. Typical right winger. You deny Romney after he lost. A real independent libertarian you are.

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Anti-Control on May 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I know. Trust me. Some of my HA anti-Troll rants are legendary.

kingsjester on May 19, 2013 at 6:11 PM

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 6:07 PM

You keep saying that. Why? Does this mean you don’t pay taxes? People here aren’t going to stop paying their taxes because they aren’t outlaws, but you are apparently proud of being a leech because that’s the only logical conclusion I can draw from your repeated posting of this incredibly lame retort.

NotCoach on May 19, 2013 at 6:11 PM

*as much as I you can

Anti-Control on May 19, 2013 at 6:11 PM

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 6:07 PM

“And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed—if all records told the same tale—then the lie passed into history and became truth. ‘Who controls the past’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.” – Orwell, 1984

workingclass artist on May 19, 2013 at 6:12 PM

You keep saying that. Why? Does this mean you don’t pay taxes?

NotCoach on May 19, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Of course it doesn’t pay taxes.

It doesn’t even know what that means.

tetriskid on May 19, 2013 at 6:12 PM

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Dude, I wrote this about Romney in December of 2011:

Mitt Romney: Flip-Flopping Away, Flip-Flopping Away. You Know The Weaker Your Foundation, The More You’ll Be Flip-Flopping Away.

Resist We Much on May 19, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Pfeiffer is to IRS what Susan Rice was to Benghazi.

rgeaste on May 19, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Reading through the thread, I see that Del is taking HAL to the cleaners. Very precise and logical. Well done, Del.

tommy71 on May 19, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Makes a person feel all warm and safe reading something like this.

Bishop on May 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM

He’s just waiting for the call to join the Obama Youths.

NotCoach on May 19, 2013 at 6:14 PM

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 6:11 PM

“In a way, the world−view of the Party imposed itself most successfully on people incapable of understanding it. They could be made to accept the most flagrant violations of reality, because they never fully grasped the enormity of what was demanded of them, and were not sufficiently interested in public events to notice what was happening. By lack of understanding they remained sane. They simply swallowed everything, and what they swallowed did them no harm, because it left no residue behind, just as a grain of corn will pass undigested through the body of a bird.” – Orwell, 1984

workingclass artist on May 19, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Del Dolemonte on May 19, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I honestly think it’s too stupid to even know what a subpoena is.

If the teevee tells it that Mr. Obama says it’s bad it must be bad so it yells.

That is the level of “thing” we are dealing with.

These things don’t believe in laws or history.

Only their god Obama.

tetriskid on May 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM

No doubt HAL has an O’bama Shrine in its bedroom, and an O’bama poster taped to the ceiling above its bed.

I’m really looking forward to seeing how all of the Clinton Moles in O’bama’s “Administration”n dersperately try to change the meanings of actual words, and the meaning of actual laws, to keep their Gravy Train in office. Remember when Bill Clinton tried to claim an “executive privilege” for himself that had never previously existed in 200+ years of the Presidency?

Del Dolemonte on May 19, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Pfeiffer is to IRS what Susan Rice was to Benghazi.

rgeaste on May 19, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Yep!

workingclass artist on May 19, 2013 at 6:17 PM

tommy71 on May 19, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Too bad Shallow HAL is completely impervious to logic, evidence, and truth however, no?

Anti-Control on May 19, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Where are the other three days worth of emails?

Lost in Jersey on May 19, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I thought requests for documents concerning an investigation would specify which documents were demanded in the investigation, ala “We request all documents and correspondence from Sept X to November X.”
Not, “Send us some stuff to look at ‘k?”

Mimzey on May 19, 2013 at 6:17 PM

17 September 2012:

I’m a libertarian. I have no love for the Republican Party, especially the platform committee. Recently, someone from the RNC rang and wanted to talk to me about a donation (because I’ve maxed out on some candidates and have given oodles to Super Pacs so I guess I’m on the call list now). I told him that I was busy. He asked when it would be convenient for him to call again. I said, “When the Stupid Party quits being stupid, stops being the party of spending-n-warring, emancipates itself from people like Rove, Romney, McShame, Boehner, McConnell, the Bushes, Powell, Santorum, Gingrich, etc.” As much as I loathe the current GOP, you couldn’t do anything to prevent me from voting against Obama in November and I live in a deep blue state so my vote really will be irrelevant. I mean it: I’ll crawl over broken glass.

Resist We Much on May 19, 2013 at 6:17 PM

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 6:11 PM

You’ve been nothing but a silly little arse all day. Did Mommy and Daddy go out of town and leave you home alone?

Are you posting from Argentina with a German last name?

Do you have only 2 brain cells left and they’re fighting to the death?

You are so oblivious to reality, it could run you over with a semi and you still wouldn’t recognize it.

Obama serves at the pleasure of the citizens of the United States of America, not the other way around, you maroon.

The truth will come out about all of these scandals…and you won’t like it. Because to ignorant, childish Liberals, like yourself, the truth is like garlic to a vampire. You’re only happy when you’re hiding from it or obfuscating it.

Now, go back to your room to gaze longingly at your Justin Beiber poster and leave the grown-ups to have an adult conversation.

Loser.

kingsjester on May 19, 2013 at 6:18 PM

tommy71 on May 19, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I’m only doing part of it. h/t to workingclass artist as well!

Del Dolemonte on May 19, 2013 at 6:18 PM

He’s just waiting for the call to join the Obama Youths.

NotCoach on May 19, 2013 at 6:14 PM

In what capacity, water boy, from the looks of his posts I don’t believe he could handle anything more complicated.

You give HAL a job of simply wetting a pile of sponges and when you came back an hour later your house would be burned down.

Bishop on May 19, 2013 at 6:18 PM

The emails were originally available to congressmen only for viewing/reading and not for copying. According to Chaffetz, the Benghazi “minders” hovered over the shoulders of congressmen who were reading the emails.

It’s understandable that some errors were made when exact copies of the emails were not distributed and congressmen had to rely on notes and their memories in order to paraphrase them.

Strange how the dump finally happened just this past Thursday.

wyntre9 on May 19, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Resist We Much on May 19, 2013 at 6:17 PM

This is the same fascist who doesn’t deny the IRS wrongdoing, but is supportive of it. He doesn’t care. We know you RWM and that’s all that matters.

NotCoach on May 19, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Hot Air, 31 October 2012:

I’m a libertarian and I’ve been waiting for 4 years to cast my vote against “Mr Social-Justice/When-We-Spread-The-Wealth-Around/At-Some-Point-You’ve-Made-Enough-Money/Take-The-Pain-Pill/Bumps-In-The-Road/The-Future-Must-Not-Belong-To-Those-Who-Slander-The-Prophet-Mohammed/Allahu-Ahkbar=Workplace-Violence/You-Didn’t-Build-That” and I will crawl over broken glass if I have to in order to do so. In fact, I can’t wait!

I don’t think that you have the slightest idea of what a libertarian is.

Resist We Much on October 31, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Resist We Much on May 19, 2013 at 6:20 PM

A targeting strategy i am 100% for.

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Until you are targeted.

hillsoftx on May 19, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Hot Air, 25 October 2012:

As I have repeatedly said on this site, I am neither a Republican nor a Conservative. I am not even a Romney fan. I am a libertarian and registered independent, who lives in a very deep blue state; yet, I can’t wait to vote against Barack Obama on 6 November 2012. In fact, I will crawl over broken glass to do it.

Resist We Much on October 25, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Resist We Much on May 19, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Resist We Much on May 19, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Believing you are independent anything is believing I will someday vote republican. You are no different than the rest of the GOP sheep on this blog.

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 6:26 PM

If you call what Hayes and Karl did in paraphrasing these not-yet-released-only-viewed emails “doctoring”, I’d love to know what you call the process that took us from the original CIA memo to “spontaneous protest caused by a youtube video”.

Libs have been screaming “right wingnut teabagger conspiracy” for 8 months now, all while the facts coming out have proven that there was indeed a cover-up, and still none of the administration flacks can answer the most basic questions about what happened there in any detail. See: Pfeiffer’s hilarity today.

Personally, I am inclined to believe the louder libs scream, the more important it is to keep digging.

Also, I’m content with anything that prevents liberals from “fixing” the jobs issue. Given that this is the ideology that promulgates such absurdities as “economic justice” and “guaranteed income”, I’d just as soon have you guys stay distracted as long as possible.

rightmind on May 19, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I know. Trust me. Some of my HA anti-Troll rants are legendary.

kingsjester on May 19, 2013 at 6:11 PM

You sound mean, unlike the righteous, always logically consistent Shallow HAL.

I’m probably more christian than anyone here.

HotAirLib on May 16, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Anti-Control on May 19, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Resist We Much on May 19, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Why do you care what the little pissant says?

You have more intelligence in your little toe than he can ever hope to have in his lifetime.

Let him wallow in his liberal ignorance. You know the truth. We know the truth. That’s good enough.

gophergirl on May 19, 2013 at 6:28 PM

. . . wth

astonerii on September 19, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I am not voting FOR Romney. I am voting AGAINST Obama.

Resist We Much on September 19, 2012 at 4:59 PM

. . . A lot of socons stayed home in November…a$$holes like Steve Angell. Do any of you believe that I liked voting against Obama by voting for the nominee of YOUR party?

At least, I tried to oust Obama. If you didn’t go vote in November (yeah, I’m looking at you, Stevie, and people just like you), kindly S T F U for the next 4 years. You FORFEITED your right to bytch . . .

Resist We Much on March 26, 2013 at 10:59 PM

. . . walks back out.

Axe on May 19, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Anti-Control on May 19, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I’m not a mean man. I just get righteously indignant.

kingsjester on May 19, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Resist We Much on May 19, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Wow, nice time line write up.

dogsoldier on May 19, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Resist We Much on May 19, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Parse all you want sweet cakes. Bottom line is you couldnt wait to crawl over broken glass to vote for candidate Romney. That is a fact.

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 6:30 PM

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 6:26 PM

What you believe is the word of the day: irrelevant. You have proven yourself incapable of even articulating what I’ve actually said in the past. You are a liar and I’ve once again proven it.

Resist We Much on May 19, 2013 at 6:30 PM

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Man, your mind must be real trip. That post is like an Escher drawing.

NotCoach on May 19, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Government Printing Office rushing out a new deck of fresh Race Cards to cover Obama’s behind.

The Plan:
Distract, Obfuscate, Delay, Mislead, Misdirect, Dawdle, & Lie, LIE, LIE.

profitsbeard on May 19, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I’m only doing part of it. h/t to workingclass artist as well!

Del Dolemonte on May 19, 2013 at 6:18 PM

We all do our bit…

: )

HAL claims to be a Professor of Humanities

So I’m B*tchslappin’ him in a language that sinks in…Literature.

HAL is exposed as the happy Tool of Oppression and he professes in an industry where his job is in peril.

My craft and expertise cannot be taught effectively over the interwebs…his can and he knows it.

His professional days are numbered…His is the last gasp of encroaching anachronism and the denial of such prolongs his tantrum.

It’s all he has and why he’s here to taunt people.

sad really.

*shrug*

workingclass artist on May 19, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Until you are targeted.

hillsoftx on May 19, 2013 at 6:22 PM

If my party and people who share my ideology start raving about how they are so proud to be anti America like the tea billies, I say target them too.

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 6:33 PM

NotCoach on May 19, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I agree.

HAL is just a fascist cheerleader. Probably a kid living in mom’s basement.

dogsoldier on May 19, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Ok, I don’t get this logic. We are sheep because we are against Obama. But he isn’t a sheep because he’s all for Obama. Totally whacked.

BeachBum on May 19, 2013 at 6:34 PM

rightmind on May 19, 2013 at 6:27 PM

They call it “spell checking”.

NotCoach on May 19, 2013 at 6:34 PM

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 6:26 PM

See here, people, only a non-sheep person would call other people sheep for supporting a certain party while simultaneously stating that they would never ever vote for that party.

You have to think in Russian Liberal to really understand, though you may have nightmares if you choose to do so.

Bishop on May 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 6:33 PM

‘I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration, somehow you’re not patriotic.’

- Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, Democratic Party Jefferson-Jackson-Bailey Day fund-raising dinner, Connecticut, 28 April 2003

Resist We Much on May 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM

HAL is a professor of humanities? Good grief … no wonder.

Best possible advertisement for a degree in science, math, or engineering.

rightmind on May 19, 2013 at 6:36 PM

What disconcerts me is human value on American lives. We lost our Ambassador, something that hasn’t occured in decades, not even under evil Bush (/). And this administration still won’t come clean on what happened, and why, and how we were neutered enough to sacrifice our Ambassador. This administration is playing politics with the entire scenario, and obfuscating the truth. There was once a time when every American citizen (whether good or bad) had value. And our govt. (whether pub or dem) would go out of its way to rescue them. Now, the value of the life of our Ambassador is zilch. Truly, America is in decline, and under this administration, impotent.

tommy71 on May 19, 2013 at 6:36 PM

I am having a hard time understanding how partisan leftards like Shallow HAL are themselves struggling to explain why the most transparent administration in history doesn’t give us the all of Benghazi emails at once, immediately w/o hesitation, you know, being that it’s most transparent administration in history and all!

Anti-Control on May 19, 2013 at 6:36 PM

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Said the lamb, as he was led to the slaughter of freedom by Wolf Obama.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on May 19, 2013 at 6:36 PM

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 6:26 PM

“Does Big Brother exist?”
“Of course he exists. The Party exists. Big Brother is the embodiment of the Party.”
“Does he exist in the same way as I exist?”
“You do not exist.” – Orwell, 1984

workingclass artist on May 19, 2013 at 6:37 PM

BeachBum on May 19, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Bishop on May 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Yep

Resist We Much on May 19, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Ow, that’s gonna leave a mark. Heh. Nice.

dogsoldier on May 19, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Even worse than Benghazi:

Hi Diana –

It was on the morning of August 6th they went to my sister in laws house (Michael’s mother Betsy) Betsy had called me screaming around 9:30 that the Navy was at her house and that Michael was dead. It was horrific.

My husband & I ran up to her house and 3 representatives from the Navy were there. I kept asking them over and over what had happened & they said that Michael had gone on a rescue mission & the helicopter he was in had been shot down by the Taliban.

We thought that it was just Michael & a pilot we did not know there were other people on board. They kept telling us they were waiting for an update from the Command that they only had a little information. Then after about an hour my husband went on the computer and it was on there and he said “It wasn’t just Michael…there were others on the Chinook.”

Then I asked them again what had happened and they told me the number of our guys that were on there and they said there were 2 Afghan soldiers with them–they were interpreters. I said “I thought you said they were going to rescue Army Rangers” They said “That’s right” So I asked them “If they were going to rescue Army Rangers why would they need interpreters? Army Rangers speak English” They did not respond.

It was absolutely horrific. Michael was a sweet kid and he had plans for the future he was taking college courses and he was looking into going to Johns Hopkins for nursing. He was smart, he was really funny, and he had the kindest heart you would ever imagine.

One thing I am happy about–he knew that we all loved him dearly.

Thanks
Maggie

VorDaj on May 19, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I say target them too.

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Yagoda and Beria agree.

Bishop on May 19, 2013 at 6:39 PM

HAL..

It’s all he has and why he’s here to taunt people.

sad really.

*shrug*

workingclass artist on May 19, 2013 at 6:32 PM

You don’t respond to a gnat, you swat it and get back to work.

‘Dialog’ with a noxious pissant is a WOT.

profitsbeard on May 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM

BeachBum on May 19, 2013 at 6:34 PM

HAL is engaging in doublethink.

“In the end the Party would announce that two and two made five, and you would have to believe it. It was inevitable that they should make that claim sooner or later: the logic of their position demanded it. Not merely the validity of experience, but the very existence of external reality, was tacitly denied by their philosophy. The heresy of heresies was common sense…” – Orwell, 1984

workingclass artist on May 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I just really want to see “Situation Room Photo, Benghazi Edition”. Is this asking too much?

rightmind on May 19, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Why do you care what the little pissant says?

gophergirl on May 19, 2013 at 6:28 PM

+infinity!

Shallow HAL lives at HA to get attention from RWM, his object of lust, and get that attention he does, only one hand on his keyboard when he’s getting it!

Anti-Control on May 19, 2013 at 6:42 PM

HAL..

It’s all he has and why he’s here to taunt people.

sad really.

*shrug*

workingclass artist on May 19, 2013 at 6:32 PM

You don’t respond to a gnat, you swat it and get back to work.

‘Dialog’ with a noxious pissant is a WOT.

profitsbeard on May 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM

True.

But the opportunity to post Orwell was hard to resist.

workingclass artist on May 19, 2013 at 6:43 PM

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 6:30 PM

There is no need to parse. I said exactly what my intentions were BEFORE the election.

I would have voted for a potted plant against Obama.

Resist We Much on May 19, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Yagoda and Beria agree.

Bishop on May 19, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Careful, you left out Comrade Josef. That’s a mistake which could be deadly.

To the gulag with you!

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on May 19, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Anti-Control on May 19, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Resist We Much on May 19, 2013 at 6:43 PM

O’bama JV Cheerleading Squad on May 19, 2013 at 6:33 PM

(Democrat) Senate Leader Harry Reid said in 2006 that America had lost a war it was still fighting. But we all know he’ll never be targeted.

And (Democrat) First Lady Michelle (Lobster) O’bama said in 2007 that for the first time in her life she was proud of America, which is an admission that for her entire life until that point she was anti America. Should she be audited by the IRS as well? Or is she Above the Law?

Del Dolemonte on May 19, 2013 at 6:44 PM

lolol. The “I will crawl over broken glass to vote for loser Romney;but hey I am still an independent librarian” chick speaketh.

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 6:01 PM

A. Libertarian, not librarian. Moron.

B. Why wouldn’t an ardent libertarian “crawl over broken glass” to cast a vote against the most fascist, anti-freedom President since Woodrow Wilson?

Good Solid B-Plus on May 19, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Wow, nice time line write up.

dogsoldier on May 19, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Here is the long form: Benghazi: The Definitive Timeline

Resist We Much on May 19, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Anti-Control on May 19, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Resist We Much on May 19, 2013 at 6:43 PM

*snicker*

workingclass artist on May 19, 2013 at 6:46 PM

HAL is a professor of humanities? Good grief … no wonder.

Best possible advertisement for a degree in science, math, or engineering.

rightmind on May 19, 2013 at 6:36 PM

No, that’s libfreeordie. Nonpartisan claims to be a Harvard Law grad, but seems more likely to have gone to DeVry.

HAL strikes me as a bitter high-school dropout.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 19, 2013 at 6:47 PM

A targeting strategy i am 100% for.
HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Why?

anuts on May 19, 2013 at 6:48 PM

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 6:07 PM

You mean we pay taxes because it’s the law? Yeah, our side tends to do that. We respect the rule of law.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 19, 2013 at 6:48 PM

HAL is a professor of humanities? Good grief … no wonder.

Best possible advertisement for a degree in science, math, or engineering.

rightmind on May 19, 2013 at 6:36 PM

HAL strikes me as a bitter high-school dropout.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 19, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Oh…my bad.

They all write the same.

lol

workingclass artist on May 19, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on May 19, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Wilson was just an early prototype for Obama, as was Mussolini.

Well after all, Barack Obama, he’s an ordinary liberty grabbing fascist man
Who desires nothing more than an ordinary chance
To make all people live exactly as he wishes, and do precisely what he wants…
An average fascist man is he, of no especially clever whim
Who wants to control everyone else’s life
While he goes golfing or on yet another royal vacation with his parasitic wife
With everyone supinely doing whatever he commands
Well… just an ordinary fascist man is he …

VorDaj on May 19, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Careful, you left out Comrade Josef. That’s a mistake which could be deadly.

To the gulag with you!

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on May 19, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Look up the two, and their ultimate end, and you’ll get the point Bishop is making. Unfortunately the point is probably lost on HAL.

NotCoach on May 19, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Best possible advertisement for a degree in science, math, or engineering.

rightmind on May 19, 2013 at 6:36 PM

HAL strikes me as a bitter high-school dropout.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 19, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I disagree, rightmind. We need more conservatives in the humanities. Words matter; language matters. We’ve conceded too much ground in that fight because we allowed the left wing to dominate the humanities in Academia.

A proper humanities degree should give students the tools to think critically, read intelligently and communicate effectively. Instead, it’s become a tool for leftist indoctrination. But we don’t help that by discouraging conservatives from studying humanities.

Of course, the world needs scientists, mathematicians and engineers, too. But the world at large can provide those, as we’ve seen over the years; the best and brightest still want to come here to ply their trade. Obama hasn’t killed that….yet.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 19, 2013 at 6:53 PM

A targeting strategy i am 100% for.

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Why?

anuts on May 19, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Because he’s a fascist.

‘Anyway, I will be more than happy and proud of Obama if he was behind the IRS targeting these anti USA “conservative” groups. They all need to be investigated.’

- HotAirLib on May 14, 2013 at 6:32 PM

‘You must really think I give a f@$k. As long as Obama is doing all he can to investigate and rid America off these anti USA tea party groups, I am fine.’

- HotAirLib on May 14, 2013 at 7:23 PM

‘And the tea party is not anti Obama correct?’

- HotAirLib on May 14, 2013 at 6:46 PM

See what he did there? Opposing a POTUS makes one anti-American. I guess HAL was against his country during Bush’s two terms.

HAL’s whole ‘I love America and civil liberties and believe in ‘fairness’ and ‘a level playing field’’ schtick is a bunch of crap.

First, they came for the Tea Partiers,
and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a Tea Partier.

Then, they came for the ‘Patriots,’
and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a ‘Patriot.’

Then they came for the supporters of Israel,
and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a supporter of Israel.

Then, they came for lovers of the Second Amendment,

and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a lover of the Second Amendment.

Then, they came for the lovers of the First Amendment,

and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a lover of the First Amendment.

Then they came for me,
and there was no one left to speak for me.

Sucks to be HAL when he becomes ‘me.’

Resist We Much on May 19, 2013 at 6:53 PM

‘Dialog’ with a noxious pissant is a WOT.

profitsbeard on May 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM

True.

But the opportunity to post Orwell was hard to resist.

workingclass artist on May 19, 2013 at 6:43 PM

INGSOC (- or English Socialism-) is really just a paradoxical name for Right Wing Teabaggers!

HALthink.

Orwell is always a palate cleanser. To paraphrase him:

Politics- where the ability to lie is no liability.”

For example: Obama and his crew are like an Inner Party claque ready to triplethink anything for the preservation of the Progressive Pustule. Devoted Cells in the mass of the eternal cancer of anti-individualism and the Supreme State.

profitsbeard on May 19, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on May 19, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Ok, thanks for the correction. We should have biographies on all our resident trolls posted somewhere. That would be a good laugh.

rightmind on May 19, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Where are the other three days worth of emails?

Lost in Jersey on May 19, 2013 at 5:13 PM

The new arbiter of relevance have deemed them to be… ‘irrelevant’.

lynncgb on May 19, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Here is the long form: Benghazi: The Definitive Timeline

Resist We Much on May 19, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Wow, you could write a book with all that research.

dogsoldier on May 19, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Where are the other three days worth of emails?

Lost in Jersey on May 19, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Hillary accidentally deleted them, thinking they were spam from one of Bill’s porn sites?

profitsbeard on May 19, 2013 at 6:59 PM

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 6:33 PM

HAL writes in all sincerity, totally oblivious to the irony.

Count to 10 on May 19, 2013 at 7:00 PM

That’s another reason we need more conservatives in the humanities; one day, we’ll need a new Eric Blair (George Orwell) to tell the story of Obama.

Our grandchildren won’t believe us when we tell them. They’ll think Barack Obama is an old wive’s tale, a horror story you tell small-government types to scare them out of their wits and make them sleep with the light on.

Unfortunately, he’s all too real. But the truth, when it is all said and done, will be stranger than fiction.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 19, 2013 at 7:01 PM

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 6:33 PM

So were you in a coma from 2001-2009, or on a different planet?

Good Solid B-Plus on May 19, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on May 19, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I agree. The problem isn’t with the study of humanities itself, it’s with the institutions. We’d certainly be worse off without things like literature, the arts, philosophy, etc, and in the past the great thinkers were well-versed in all of these things. So I was only about 50% serious.

rightmind on May 19, 2013 at 7:02 PM

rightmind on May 19, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Yeah, in their zest to indoctrinate students, hack partisan professors like libfreeordie destroy a ton of great, promising minds. I knew a lot of brilliant kids in college who simply couldn’t muster an independent thought, even though they were incredibly deft and artful writers/thinkers. But they’d been pounded into leftist mush by a frontal assault from four years of nonstop liberal pablum from a stream of bitter, politically-motivated profs.

It’s a real shame.

Good Solid B-Plus on May 19, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Wow, you could write a book with all that research.

dogsoldier on May 19, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Keep trying to convince her this one would be a best seller. :) It would be hilarious. :) And no one else could do it as well as she could.

Axe on May 19, 2013 at 7:09 PM

‘Dialog’ with a noxious pissant is a WOT.

profitsbeard on May 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM

True.

But the opportunity to post Orwell was hard to resist.

workingclass artist on May 19, 2013 at 6:43 PM

HALthink.

Orwell is always a palate cleanser. To paraphrase him:

“Politics- where the ability to lie is no liability.”

profitsbeard on May 19, 2013 at 6:53 PM

It’s been an Orwellian couple of weeks…

“If you’re happy inside yourself, why should you get excited about Big Brother and the Three-Year Plans and the Two Minutes Hate and all the rest of their bloody rot?” – Orwell, 1984

workingclass artist on May 19, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on May 19, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Agreed.

We need both.

David Mamet has come around…and He is a force to be reckoned with.

The cultural elite are busy trying to wreck his career…They are really outraged about it.

They tried to tank his last play.

workingclass artist on May 19, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Is HAL’s poster of the O above his bed a naked O????????

either orr on May 19, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I wont even make a comment about Steve Hayes because he is nothing but a partisan hack.

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Just over an hour later:

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Nicely done.

rogerb on May 19, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Is HAL’s poster of the O above his bed a naked O????????

either orr on May 19, 2013 at 7:20 PM

On black velvet. I’ve heard they sell well in black gay bars up there in DC.

slickwillie2001 on May 19, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Is HAL’s poster of the O above his bed a naked O????????

either orr on May 19, 2013 at 7:20 PM

On black velvet. I’ve heard they sell well in black gay bars up there in DC.

slickwillie2001 on May 19, 2013 at 7:33 PM

velveteen no doubt…probably too cheap for actual velvet.

workingclass artist on May 19, 2013 at 7:43 PM

For someone whose ideology is the antithesis of anything American, what would their anti American complaint even look like?

And if there’s any attempt at coherence would one have to ignorant at their own nation’s history or their own ideology?

anuts on May 19, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Same GOP who are yet to see an event they wont politicize Jazz? Come on man… Believing this is believing Obama was actually outraged the IRS targeted those tea party fraudulent groups. A targeting strategy i am 100% for.

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 5:39 PM

That’s the voice of desperation.

Gelsomina on May 19, 2013 at 7:55 PM

rightmind on May 19, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Good point.

wyntre9 on May 19, 2013 at 7:58 PM

How long is the White House and the Democrats going to be allowed to lie about this stuff? Scheiffer, on CBS, layed into Pfeiffer and it would have been much better for everyone if MTP and This Week had done the same. Once the White House figures out that people are on to them, they will figure out the truth and come out with it.

After the AP story, people had hope the press was going to wake up and start actually covering this administration. Today, I saw a break in that and I just can’t believe some of what I heard. Candy Crowley was back in her protect Obama mode and David Gregory was out to get McConnell. I guess we’ll all have to be selective about who we really TRUST to report these stories.

bflat879 on May 19, 2013 at 8:00 PM

HotAirLib on May 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Compared to fvcking whom?

katy the mean old lady on May 19, 2013 at 8:07 PM

HotLips on May 19, 2013 at 5:39 PM

That’s the voice of desperation.

Gelsomina on May 19, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Yep, when they yelp like that you know you are on target.

slickwillie2001 on May 19, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Boy, the smell of fear is reeking from the administration and the minions now.

You don’t cheat and obfuscate against inferiors, you do so when you are at a genuine disadvantage.

You don’t risk your entire agenda of a benevolent government by submitting to subjugation and slander against your opposition unless the opposition is in a morally superior position. To do otherwise is the height of folly and incompetence.

This has been fun to watch. The meltdown continues. All the way to 2014 and beyond.

So lets wave to the progressive agenda as it sinks in a cesspool of its own making.

Bye bye.

itsspideyman on May 19, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Frankly, everybody can shove these emails up any available orifice.
None of this explains how a “terrorist attack” on a US diplomatic facility somehow morphed into a demonstration over a YouTube video … so as far as I concerned this stuff can be wee-weed-up and it changes nothing. These emails prove nothing that is important except the obvious.

J_Crater on May 19, 2013 at 8:42 PM

HAL you’re always the same. Aren’t you bored of yourself? zzzzzzzzzzz

CW on May 19, 2013 at 8:56 PM