Piers Morgan: Say, I guess government can become tyrannical after all

posted at 2:41 pm on May 17, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Via NRO’s Andrew Johnson, Joe Scarborough isn’t the only TV show host rethinking his scorn of gun-rights advocates this week.  Piers Morgan, who engaged in some of the worst demagoguery outside of the White House and Capitol Hill over the last six months on that issue, routinely derided the idea that the American government couldn’t be trusted to abide by the law and tell the truth.  Now, after watching what happened at the IRS — and to the Associated Press — the CNN host admits to Penn Jillette that maybe people had a point about creeping tyranny after all:

“I’ve had some of the pro-gun lobbyists on here, saying to me, ‘Well, the reason we need to be armed is because of tyranny from our own government,’ and I’ve always laughed at them,” Morgan said last night. “But, actually, this is vaguely tyrannical behavior by the American government.”

Guest Penn Jillette agreed with his assessment: “I think that it shows you that how much we can trust the government and just sit back, which is not very much at all.”

Vaguely?

I’d guess that these scandals have put an end to any notion of reviving gun control in this session of Congress.  In light of the revelations at the IRS and the Department of Justice over the last few days, which red-state Senators of either party are going to sign up to expand federal oversight of guns?  Obama and his team couldn’t get a gun-control bill out of the Senate, let alone the House, even with the media not just cheerleading every step of the way but conducting its own full-court press on behalf of Obama.  With the media irate over the raid on the Associated Press (and asking tough questions about the IRS), I doubt that the White House is going to be able to put the band back together for a long time, if ever.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Your seeing double. There’s only one goal post. The thread has made references to the 2nd Amendment as remedy from the outset. Read Piers Morgan quote at the top.

MJBrutus on May 19, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Yeah, don’t believe my lying eyes.

You are a very confused person. The 2nd Amendment has always been a remedy. Not because we are acting out violent rev0lution every second generation, but because it acts as a deterrent, a check if you will, on the government. And the only thing Morgan has admitted to is that the government can not always be trusted, not that the 2nd Amendment is a legitimate concept.

NotCoach on May 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM

NotCoach on May 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM

How exactly does it act as a deterrent? I can understand how it did in the Continental era and soon after. But, as I said, in this day and age and long before the notion is simply a fantasy. The association of personal ownership of guns with redressing grievances with our government is a discussion of armed resistance and that is whacko territory.

MJBrutus on May 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Neither side has a monopoly on foolishness.

You certainly seem mired in it. What’s your handle at kostardville, since you had to abandon your same namesake there to lend “credibility” to you mobyness?

tom daschle concerned on May 19, 2013 at 3:02 PM

MJBrutus on May 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM

To put it plain and simple, you seem quite ignorant, especially if you think even the full might of the U.S. modern military (which wouldn’t happen in any case) could occupy every city of this country and fight against a determined militia if some sort of revolution occurred.

From the tenor of your posts you appear to have a childish understanding about the reach and power of our military, as opposed to say, an entire nation of extremely well armed citizens. Your out of hand dismissal of the idea shows that you haven’t given the subject any real thought.

ShadowsPawn on May 19, 2013 at 3:08 PM

ShadowsPawn on May 19, 2013 at 3:08 PM

LMFAO! And to think that I accused some folks of living in a violent, whacko fantasy land. Silly me.

MJBrutus on May 19, 2013 at 3:11 PM

MJBrutus on May 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Short but sweet for the ignorant of this world.

NotCoach on May 19, 2013 at 3:16 PM

MJBrutus on May 19, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Tell me, have you ever given it any real thought? Have you looked at the number of troops, the disposition of state national guard, the existence of the Oath Keepers, the notion that if things ever got to bad as to warrant an open and violent armed resistance to a tyrannical federal government, that the nation would fractured, and most likely in the middle of an economic collapse. The Vietcong and the Taliban did a frighteningly good job of engaging our military, and you think it the American military could actually fight a domestic armed uprising?

From your flippant attitude I’m going to assume that no, you haven’t considered any of those things.

ShadowsPawn on May 19, 2013 at 3:17 PM

NotCoach on May 19, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Thanks NC and ShadowSpawn for making perfectly plain that many here are indeed talking about armed rebellion and that I did not just make something up about you and others. Some have tried to suggest as much and have royally beclowned themselves by the transparent dodge.

Enjoy your revolution and stuff. I’ll look for you in the funny pages.

MJBrutus on May 19, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Enjoy your revolution and stuff. I’ll look for you in the funny pages.

MJBrutus on May 19, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I guess when one fails to comprehend it shouldn’t be surprising he is proud of his own ignorance and stupidity.

NotCoach on May 19, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Enjoy your revolution and stuff. I’ll look for you in the funny pages.

MJBrutus on May 19, 2013 at 3:21 PM

You really are quite sad. I notice that you didn’t actually address any of the points I made. Of course, you also assume that I advocate open armed rebellion, without having ever said so.

Everyone else is right.. you are just another moby, and really not worth our time. You aren’t any better than non-partisan.

ShadowsPawn on May 19, 2013 at 3:27 PM

ShadowsPawn on May 19, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Don’t feel bad. I ignore points made by small children and drunkards too :-)

MJBrutus on May 19, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Don’t feel bad. I ignore points made by small children and drunkards too :-)

MJBrutus on May 19, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Very funny, and mature. You can’t refute the points, so you resort to petulant insults, further proving your worthlessness to any conversation here. Well done.

ShadowsPawn on May 19, 2013 at 3:55 PM

ShadowsPawn on May 19, 2013 at 3:27 PM

He just like to snipe with personal attacks. The behavior of a child. In my case I proved rebellion possible. That’s not exactly the same thing as saying lets go do it. Fact is our government could not withstand it.

The military would not defend Zero or use its power against the people. AAnnd as I pointed out, the libs RoE will hamstring them.

As Assad is finding out. We had one heck of a time against low tech attacks in Vietnam also.

MJB doesn’t actually know or understand anything, nor does he/she have any critical thinking skills. Just insults.

Like, say a teenager with no life experience.

dogsoldier on May 19, 2013 at 4:10 PM

ShadowsPawn on May 19, 2013 at 3:55 PM
dogsoldier on May 19, 2013 at 4:10 PM

When we’re done arguing about whether the Tea Party or Obama would win a domestic thermo-nuclear exchange do you suppose we could debate whether Zombies could defeat Orcs?

MJBrutus on May 19, 2013 at 4:43 PM

MJBrutus on May 19, 2013 at 4:43 PM

We would except you don’t debate. You’ve been challenged and your only responses are strawmen and ad hominem.

NotCoach on May 19, 2013 at 5:01 PM

MJBrutus on May 19, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Well there you go. A perfect illustration of childlike behavior.

dogsoldier on May 19, 2013 at 5:48 PM

They say armed revolt wouldn’t work today, that the government is too powerful. But what if there were an uprising within the government? What if we were fighting side-by-side…with AR-15′s in hand…with anti-government soldiers and marines against pro-tyranny forces?

CrustyB on May 20, 2013 at 11:34 AM