Open thread: IRS hearings open on Capitol Hill, with live embed

posted at 9:16 am on May 17, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

The hearing was supposed to start at 9 ET in the House Ways and Means Oversight subcommittee, but it got started a little late. First up — former acting IRS Commissioner Steve Miller, who just got forcibly retired about a month early. CBS News has a live embed for those wanting to follow along:

CBS also has this primer for those coming late to the story:

After a week of information slowly trickling out about the political discrimination carried out by the IRS, the public will finally on Friday hear directly from those at the agency.

Public questioning begins in the House Ways and Means Committee, where the acting IRS commissioner Steven Miller and J. Russell George, the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA), will testify Friday morning. …

Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dave Camp, R-Mich., said in a statement that Miller’s resignation “does nothing to change the culture of discrimination at the IRS.”

“And, it certainly does nothing to change the fact that the tax system is targeting honest, hardworking taxpayers instead of working for them,” he continued. “There are still far too many unanswered questions and until we know what truly happened, we cannot fully fix what is wrong.”

Both Camp and the top Democrat on the committee, Rep. Sander Levin, D-Mich., have been extremely critical of the misconduct at the IRS, with Levin earlier this week calling for the resignation of both Miller and senior IRS official Lois Lerner.

Lerner is one of four witnesses invited to testify before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee next Wednesday. However, Lerner has not yet confirmed whether or not she’ll be present, a spokesperson for the Oversight Committee told CBSNews.com. According to the spokesperson, Lerner’s lawyer — William Taylor of Zuckerman Spaeder LLP, who has represented high-profile clients like Dominique Strauss-Kahn — told the committee that Lerner is currently in Montreal.

Miller’s opening statement claimed that while mistakes were made, there was no partisan motivation involved.  Good luck with that argument.  I’ll update if and when significant developments occur.

Update: Max Baucus thinks we’re going to hear even worse from the Congressional hearings, although it might take a couple of weeks to get through it all:

Senior Democratic Sen. Max Baucus, who recently slapped Obamacare as a “train wreck,” believes that the IRS scandal is just beginning and that “a lot more” damaging information will be revealed, likely at congressional hearings.

“I have a hunch that a lot more is going to come out, frankly,” Baucus, whose pending retirement seems to have freed him up to speak bluntly, told Bloomberg’s “Capitol Gains” TV show.

“It’s broader than the current focus. And I think it’s important that we have the hearings, and I think that will encourage other information to come out that has not yet come out. I suspect that we will learn more in the next several days, maybe the next couple three weeks which adds more context to all of this,” added Baucus, chairman of the Senate Finance Committee.

By the way, they just put today’s witnesses explicitly under oath for this hearing, which is a little unusual.  Chairman Camp told the hearing that he’s insisting on the oath because of the IRS’ repeatedly misleading the panel in the past. Ouch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I know nothing …

darwin on May 17, 2013 at 9:14 AM

It’s a little early for popcorn, but what the hell…it’s Friday.

bigmacdaddy on May 17, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Here’s the problem, though: Democrats, in this type of situation, (try to) pass legislation that would (at least in their minds) “solve” the problem. Republicans just hold hearings, then do nothing.

Let’s see the GOP work up some legislation, rather than just talking about how evil the IRS is. Use this as leverage to push tax reform, so that the IRS doesn’t have as much power.

Mohonri on May 17, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Why out of the country? For that matter, why allowed to leave the country?

bofh on May 17, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Morning……………

CoffeeLover on May 17, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I wish that people would stop covering up and just tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. America deserves no less. The gamesmanship needs to end. Unfortunately, our legal system is not particularly concerned with guilt or innocence, but what is the best deal.

DAT60A3 on May 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Why out of the country? For that matter, why allowed to leave the country?

bofh on May 17, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Is that one of them there rhetorical type questions?

dogsoldier on May 17, 2013 at 9:19 AM

D-Levin said this Hearing should not be used for political gain (like the IRS was used for since 2010). Levin, instead said this should be about what happened. The FACT is that it is OBVIOUS that ‘what happened’ was that the IRS was used as a weapon of the current administration, as the IRS targeted Conservatives, the TEA Party, ANY organization whose title included the words ‘Patriot’ & ‘Constitution’, targeted organizations based on their beliefs, & targeted Jews & groups that support Israel.

No one needs to seek out a reason/proof the IRS was used for political gain – seeking the truth & justice in this hearing will make ‘political gain’ the obvious reason these rimes were perpetrated!

easyt65 on May 17, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I know nothing …

darwin on May 17, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I saw nothing

unseen on May 17, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Nothing partisan?????
C’mon

cmsinaz on May 17, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Tune in today, as we hear from a bunch of people who
are unsure what they do in their jobs….

..in other words, the “Sh*t happens” explanation.

ToddPA on May 17, 2013 at 9:21 AM

3 Claims against the IRS substantiated.

Institutional review / targeting policies / procedures were established…changed. The IRS Inspector General is testifying there is NO WAY this was a case of several ‘rogue’ IRS agents working independently … doing the same exact same thing in several different locations throughout the US.

easyt65 on May 17, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Lying Liars Lying XXVII

Interesting that Baucus is talking more. Guilty conscience?

VibrioCocci on May 17, 2013 at 9:22 AM

per IG, “behavior ceased once media was aware”…there u go.

hillsoftx on May 17, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Bigmacdaddy

Breakfast of champions

cmsinaz on May 17, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I want to hear 1 thing — when you, the IG, briefed Obama on 22 April, did you, the IG, give Obama details on the allegations & your findings?

According to President Obama, he did not hear anything – no details about the scandal – until he saw the story break on TV on Friday, 10 May.

easyt65 on May 17, 2013 at 9:24 AM

How many dems are going to bring up bush appointee

cmsinaz on May 17, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Can you imagine if a republican president was targeting liberal groups thru the IRS. The media & liberal hacks would have gone nuts!

Three major scandals. I’m waiting to see if the liberal press holds Obamasatan accountable. Not holding my breath!

Danielvito on May 17, 2013 at 9:25 AM

per IG, “behavior ceased once media was aware”…there u go.

hillsoftx on May 17, 2013 at 9:22 AM

What?!! The media supposedly just found out a week ago. heck, even the president just found out last Friday. How can he say the behavior has stopped?

esr1951 on May 17, 2013 at 9:25 AM

This thread is dedicated to the late, great John Banner “SGT. Shultz”

I know nuzzing. Nuuuzzzzing!

kingsjester on May 17, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Acting IRS Chief Miller:

I am sorry for the IRS’s actions…

I do not think partisanship / politics played ny part in the targeting of Conservatives/TEA Party Members…

I do not think partisanship / politics played a part I asking targeted organizations about their facebook information, donors, books they read, their ideology, what other groups they belong to, if they thought the govt is doing a good job….

I promise that I (and yes I was appointed by Obama) will personally, internally, hold those who played a part in this accountable…

No, when I heard about this going on years ago, I don’t remember if I did anything about it…

easyt65 on May 17, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Dude, they told a pro-life group that they had to agree not to protest PP or else their application would be denied. Conduct allowed by the type of exemption they were applying for.

They asked for donor lists for organizations who’s lists would be private, and told them all of this would be public record because they gave it to the IRS. They then gave that information to partisan groups, including pending (confidential) applications.

They wanted to know what members and their families MIGHT do in the future, which is unknowable.

They harassed with audits, under color of “law”, people who spoke out against Obamacare.

They held up for up to three years applications for Tea Party groups, wile giving Obama’s brother expedited consideration and a retroactive exempt status.

They held up one group for over a year, who then reapplied under another name and received their exemption in three weeks.

So effing please, Mr. Miller.

Jeff Weimer on May 17, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Miller is a lying sack of Shi’ite!

easyt65 on May 17, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I don’t know.

I don’t remember.

Getting very old and hardly believable.

tru2tx on May 17, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Scrap the tax code and go to a FLAT TAX… you won’t need that many IRS agents that way…

Khun Joe on May 17, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Another government employee relying on I don’t know, I don’t remember…I KNOW NOTHING!

CoffeeLover on May 17, 2013 at 9:30 AM

How many dems are going to bring up bush appointee

cmsinaz on May 17, 2013 at 9:25 AM

If the Republicans were smart they’d use that to their advantage. “We’re being non-partisan” and “We need to bring in all the IRS execs for extensive questioning, and the flunkies too, regardless of party affiliation” blah blah blah. Instead, it’ll make them shy off.

Fenris on May 17, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Chairman Camp nailed it in his opening, the IRS is now rotten to the core & that core needs to be ripped out by the roots to purg the IRS of those corrupt, partisan core members…

Miller has already proven he is the 1st one that neds to be punished with extreme prejudice!

easyt65 on May 17, 2013 at 9:31 AM

So there you have it. Might as well just end the hearings now. It was just a coincidence that only conservative groups were targeted and no liberal groups. Just names drawn out of a hat. Wish I had that kind of probability when my quick pick numbers are drawn.

BeachBum on May 17, 2013 at 9:31 AM

This thread is dedicated to the late, great John Banner “SGT. Shultz”

I know nuzzing. Nuuuzzzzing!
kingsjester on May 17, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Obama and his henchmen … the know nothings.

No one knows anything.

Obama: I know nothing

Biden: I know nothing

Carney: I know nothing

IRS Chief: I know nothing

Napolitano: I know nothing

EPA Chief: I know nothing

Sebelius: I know nothing

Clinton: I know nothing

Rice: All I know is it was a video.

Everyone else: I know nothing

darwin on May 17, 2013 at 9:32 AM

“I know nothing”.

The “Know Nothing” Administration.

kingsjester on May 17, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Wait.. I thought Obama fixed this yesterday. He gave a speech. Said he was mad. Said he wanted to work with congress. And we still need hearings? So much partisan bickering going on. Why can’t we all just get along.

You know what we all need? One big group hug.

JellyToast on May 17, 2013 at 9:32 AM

quick name the Republician?

Dave Camp on the IRS scandal:

“I don’t think we’re [at the point of appointing a special counsel]. At least I’m not there yet. We need to know how and why and certainly try to restore the faith that’s been broken and the trust that’s been broken as people have been targeted for their political beliefs, which is completely unacceptable.”

Max Baucus on the IRS scandal:

“I have a hunch that a lot more is going to come out, frankly. It’s broader than the current focus. And I think it’s important that we have the hearings, and I think that will encourage other information to come out that has not yet come out. I suspect that we will learn more in the next several days, maybe the next couple three weeks which adds more context to all of this.”

Dave Camp on the IRS targeting groups for political reasons:

“Clearly there has been taxpayer confidential information leaked, and potentially for political reasons. And obviously only one political perspective was targeted, so it does seem to have significant political overtones. But we just don’t know where this will lead until we take a serious look at it.”

Max Baucus on the IRS targeting groups for political reasons:

“This actually leads to new momentum for tax reform because this is an important provision in the code. And this provision has raised lots of questions now, and also how it’s tied with another significant provision, the so-called section 527. And that’s – that’s – that’s going to help I think encourage more momentum for tax reform.

Dave Camp on republicans supporting legislation to refocus rules on 501(c)4 organizations: Well, this is I think much larger than that because we’ve had donors who were targeted. We’ve had obviously confidential information leaked. And clearly we’ve had one political persuasion group – conservative group had their information held up. So it’s just hard to know exactly what the solution will be. But the purpose of the hearings will be to find out is there some legislative action, like tax reform, that would actually give less discretion to the IRS through a simpler, fairer tax code.

Max Baucus on republicans supporting legislation to refocus rules on 501(c)4 organizations:

This actually leads to new momentum for tax reform because this is an important provision in the code. And this provision has raised lots of questions now, and also how it’s tied with another significant provision, the so-called section 527. And that’s – that’s – that’s going to help I think encourage more momentum for tax reform. There’ll be a lot of senators. The public’s going to wonder, hey, what about this statute? Should it be changed? We’ll see.

Dave Camp on whether the IRS scandal will slow down progress on tax reform:

I think it just points out how complex the tax code is and – and the discretion then that is in the hands of the IRS because of the complexity of the code. So I think a more transparent, simpler, fairer code is clearly a goal. But obviously we need to find out what really happened here, and then we can decide what conclusions should be drawn afterwards.

Max Baucus on whether the IRS scandal will slow down progress on tax reform:

I don’t think this is going to slow down tax reform, not at all.

Dave Camp on completing tax reform:

First of all, we’re both [Max Baucus] very committed to doing it. And clearly the complexity of the current code is I think case in point. Secondly, we need a healthier economy. And if we can get a pro-growth tax plan that really brings us into the 21st century, I think that’s really something that the American people will support.”

Max Baucus on completing tax reform:

“There’s a huge need for reform. Other countries have changed since 1986, made their companies more competitive. We have to as well. In fact, there’s an opportunity even to get a little ahead of the game. We’ve got to work now.

“And the big question about revenues is one that I think that can be put off for a while. That should not get in the way.”

Dave Camp on specifics of tax reform:

“We get those lower [individual and business rates] by closing off some of the loopholes and deductions and thousands of provisions that have been added to the code. Let’s start with a clean sheet of paper and see what kind of code do we want to design for the best economy, the strongest America, the most prosperous families.”

Max Baucus on specifics of tax reform:

“Everything’s on the table. Everything. Otherwise if we start taking pet items off the table, another group will rationalize their pet item should be off the table. So everything’s on the table. We’re looking at everything.”

Dave Camp on the legislative calendar and getting tax reform to the floor for a vote:

The calendar’s kind of like the weather. It’s pretty hard to predict. But I think we’re all looking at trying to do this as soon as possible and trying to get it done certainly. But this is something we need to get on and just begin to work and really get it done this session. They gave me HR 1, so that’s a pretty indication of where the speaker is.”

they both sound like dems to me. camp is more worried about this derailing his tax reform package (which will never get t hrough Congress then he is about justice and punishment. We are so screwed.

unseen on May 17, 2013 at 9:33 AM

“I know nothing”.

The “Know Nothing” Administration.

kingsjester on May 17, 2013 at 9:32 AM

White House = Mushroom greenhouse.

darwin on May 17, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I’m sure absolutely nothing will come of this, but would love to be wrong.

MPan on May 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Probably fenris

cmsinaz on May 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Miller: WE investigated – I have no idea who ‘WE’ are who conducted that investigation…

I believe…I don’t know…I can’t say…I can’t give you an answer…YOU should know that timeline, but I don’t…

No, I never informed Congress when I discovered all these abises of IRS power…I determined they were inadvertent & discipline was enforced…

NO, I DID NOT INFORM CONGRESS OF THESE ABUSES OF THE IRS WHEN IF FOUND OUT ABOUT THEM BECAUSE THEY WERE IN THE NEWS (THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN GOOD ENOUGH)!

Camp asked Miller what do you call it when you know the truth, you find out about something that is wrong/false but you hide it from people? Miller responds by avoiding / refusing to answer the question: “I always answer a question with the truth, sir.”
– Umm, that is not what Camp asked you, & by your testimoy so far your last statement was a lie!

easyt65 on May 17, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Bush did it.

Big Orange on May 17, 2013 at 9:39 AM

If whistleblowers come forward, something will come of this. These witnesses right now are basically stonewalling. They can’t admit any dates when they found out about this stuff because they don’t wanna concede that they knew all along and incriminate themselves.

Doughboy on May 17, 2013 at 9:44 AM

are they under oath at this hearing? If not doesn’t matter what they say. Perjury is off the table. Get them under oath so that perjury is on the table and listen to them sing.

unseen on May 17, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Levin said earlier that it would be wrong to try to score political points uin this hearing…and just now he asked a question just so Miller could bring out the name BUSH…then Levin moved on after making sure Bush was mentioned in this hearing. What a hypocritical POS!

easyt65 on May 17, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Can’t we skip the circus and use firing squads for these “people” instead? I hear DHS et. al have tons of extra ammo.

Just sayin’ …

VibrioCocci on May 17, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Just looking at Levin is enough evidence that ‘carrer politicians’ need to be an extinct breed! This guy is an old crotchety stuck-in-the-ruts die-hard party Democrat talking out of both sides of his mouth and on this panel for no other reason that to attempt to mitigate the damage to the current administration & avoid any firings/arrests. He doesn’t give a cr@p about protecting the American people!

easyt65 on May 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Boortz is back on the radio this morning. This is a tough decision,,,Boortz or a lying weasel from the IRS. Going with Boortz and will watch video later of the hearing.

bopbottle on May 17, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I’m sure absolutely nothing will come of this, but would love to be wrong.

MPan on May 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Doughboy on May 17, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Buuuuuuush!!!!!!!!!!!

Dingbat63 on May 17, 2013 at 9:44 AM

The Alzheimer Administration.

hillsoftx on May 17, 2013 at 9:46 AM

This country is screwed. The majority of the American people either think it was just a silly mistake/lone wolves or they are like HAL and are cheering on the policy hoping for even more policies based on ideology. People like HAL think they are immune because they are on the “right” side. He thinks he is even safer because he is in the “protected” group status of being both black and gay. I wish I could be there when the rest of us are gone and he is standing alone at the wall saying but but I’m one of you!

BeachBum on May 17, 2013 at 9:46 AM

How many dems are going to bring up bush appointee

cmsinaz on May 17, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Hmmm…

Politically, the IRS chief needs bipartisan support in Congress to be confirmed. Former IRS commissioner Shulman was a Democrat appointed by Republican President George W. Bush.

Douglas Shulman, Bush IRS appointee – made donation to DNC 2004

Fallon on May 17, 2013 at 9:47 AM

good news about time. Wish hillary was under Oath when she did her song and dance.

unseen on May 17, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Abu Ghraib

1) Went on for Weeks
2) When Officials learned of it Criminal Investigans Began
3) Persons involved Charged with Crimes
4) Charges were filed weeks after it was discovered
5) A broad base of Lower Level personell and Officers were charged
6) Bush learned of it when the Investigation began
7) There was NO Benifet to the Bush Administration from these actions
8) Media insisted Bush and Rumsfeld Knew and Approved of this action.

IRS Targeting TEa Party

1) Went on for Years
2) When Officials learned of it, they lied to Congress
3) Persons involved have been promoted or given NEW Duties
4) No Charges have been filed, MONTHS after it’s been revealed
5) An interim leader, who was leaving anyway, has been Fired
6) Obama learned of it when the News Reported it
7) Obama’s re-election received a Direct Benefit from these actions
8) Media insists there is no way Obama could possibly have know about this

jaydee_007 on May 17, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Did Steve Miller break into a rendition of “Gangster of Love”?

Bishop on May 17, 2013 at 9:51 AM

No. It was “Take the Money and Run”.

antipc on May 17, 2013 at 9:48 AM

How many dems are going to bring up bush appointee

cmsinaz on May 17, 2013 at 9:25 AM

That would be rather hilarious, but someone will try to make it an issue.

NotCoach on May 17, 2013 at 9:49 AM

the people in the WH have no idea about optics do they? First the Marine umbrella phot now this?

The president plans to highlight one of the manufacturing companies still thriving in the city by speaking at Ellicott Dredges. It makes equipment for excavation under water and on beachfronts around the world.

So you go visit a dredging company at the same time Congress is dredging up information on your scandals?

lol

unseen on May 17, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Did Steve Miller break into a rendition of “Gangster of Love”?

Bishop on May 17, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Why is Miller even being called?

Shulman should be on the hot seat. So should Lerner and so should the woman now running Obamacare implementation.

BuckeyeSam on May 17, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Democrats grandstanding…. BUSH!

Bensonofben on May 17, 2013 at 9:53 AM

can i use “my bad” would that make everything OK?

phatfawzi on May 17, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I know nothing …

darwin on May 17, 2013 at 9:14 AM

……….. I saw nothing

unseen on May 17, 2013 at 9:20 AM

……..I hear nothing!

KOOLAID2 on May 17, 2013 at 9:54 AM

By the way, they just put today’s witnesses explicitly under oath for this hearing, which is a little unusual. Chairman Camp told the hearing that he’s insisting on the oath because of the IRS’ repeatedly misleading the panel in the past. Ouch.

Good.

Late to the thread…so I’ll try and catch up.

Thanks for posting the link Ed.

workingclass artist on May 17, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Miller takes “exception” to the term TARGETING………….oh sheesh

CoffeeLover on May 17, 2013 at 9:55 AM

jaydee_007 on May 17, 2013 at 9:48 AM

You’re comparing the treatment of peace loving, misunderstood Muslims to the treatment of known terrorists (TEA Party)?

VibrioCocci on May 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Gee…The IRS hearings were upgraded to C-span 2

WP keeps telling me I’m posting my comments too quickly…and I’m a dyslexic typist

So…What’s up with that?

workingclass artist on May 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Boustany just NAILED Schulman’s ARSE to the wall….he asked Miller if Schulman lied….Miller immediately begins to spin, pulling a ‘Clinton’ – It depends what the definition of ‘targeting’ is…
– Boustany asks ‘what is the difference between not correct & Wrong

Miller is trying to say the group in Cinncinnatti did not TARGET the TEA Party but was trying to find a new way to ‘categorize’ them, placing them in their own group…

HOLY SHI’ITE! Boustany walked right up to the edge & SUGGESTED Schulman lied & asked Miller his opinion — what he SHOULD have done is play the video, DECLARE ‘We just watched Schulman committ PERJURY’ – what do you think?’

Boustany asked Miller why he misled Congress about what was going on — Miller responded by saying, “I did NOT mislead Congress because I answered the questions you asked.” Miller believes, or is clinging to the BS idea, that if you are hiding a crime from Congress & they don’t ask you the right question to expose the fact that a crime is going on, you haven’t misled Congress, you have done your job, & you are keeping the faith entrusted to you through your appointment.

IT IS CLEAR / OBVIOUS MILLER HID THE IRS’ CRIMES FROM CONGRESS, THAT HE IS A WEASEL, & THAT HE NEEDS TO GO TO JAIL!

easyt65 on May 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Charlie ‘Tax Evader / Tax Cheat’ Rangel’s 1st statement – we are all upset about the tax scandal that went on uder both the BUSH & Obama appointees…

easyt65 on May 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM

WOW! rep. Brady from Texas, you were freakin awesome. You nailed that hack. Thanks for standing up for us!

Danielvito on May 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Bishop on May 17, 2013 at 9:51 AM

BuckeyeSam on May 17, 2013 at 9:51 AM

phatfawzi on May 17, 2013 at 9:54 AM

workingclass artist on May 17, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I just posted and all of the above posts from the future are after mine…Hot Air has entered an interdimensional time warp!

NotCoach on May 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I am in trouble…Rangel actually sounds reasonable.

CoffeeLover on May 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I don’t think Miller expected this type of hearing. More of the holder kind then the watergate kind. And putting him under oath? Yeah he wasn’t ready for that making him dodge and weave when he thought he could just tell little white lies. No the spector of Liddy has too be in his head and he knows he will get his sentence pardoned by Obama come 2016 if he takes the fall. Interesting byplay going on in this guy’s mind I would imagine

unseen on May 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Levin: Booooooosh!!!

Crowley (D): Booooooosh!!!

Rangel: Booooooosh!!!

3 for 3 so far.

iurockhead on May 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Reality Check: 4 Cincinnati IRS workers named, Could they face federal charges?

Let’s start with those local agents. FOX19 exclusively sharing the names of at least 4 Cincinnati IRS agents who we have been able to independently verify were involved in at least 1 case and with two of these individuals, 2 cases of allegedly overburdening conservative groups seeking non-profit status.

All four worked in the IRS Exempt Organizations Department. Those 4 Cincinnati IRS agents are: Mitchell Steele, Carly Young, Joseph Herr and Stephen Seok.

sentinelrules on May 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Did Steve Miller break into a rendition of “Gangster of Love”?

Bishop on May 17, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Not sure, but I am sure he’s doing “Big Ol’ Jet Airliner”.

Touchin’ down in New England town
Feel the heat comin’ down
I’ve got to keep on keepin’ on
You know the big wheel keeps on spinnin’ around
And I’m goin’ with some hesitation
You know that I can surely see
That I don’t want to get caught up in any of that
Funky sh!t goin’ down in the city

tru2tx on May 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Why is Miller even being called?

BuckeyeSam on May 17, 2013 at 9:51 AM

This is just the House Ways and Means Committee holding initial hearings on this. There are at least a dozen other congressional committees getting their investigations underway on this appalling scandal, including Issa’s Oversight office,, which will commence next week. I expect theabove-mentioned perps will be on the hot sooner than later, along with the underlings they initially tried to pin this on.

Also, with all these groups getting in on the act, I’m concerned that they’re gonna cause a major clusterf*ck. In the end, I don’t see how we can get to the bottom of this criminal/civil rights violations investigation without a special prosecutor or counsel–the last card we have at our disposal and the card causing a lot of fear in the WH and other Obama apologists.

Special prosecutor. Nothing less. Cut the bullsh*t. This is huge and requires nothing less. Also, the DOJ investigating this is an utter f*cking joke.

RepubChica on May 17, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I am in trouble…Rangel actually sounds reasonable.

CoffeeLover on May 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Rangel is a actual tax-cheat himself.

sentinelrules on May 17, 2013 at 10:00 AM

sentinelrules on May 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Awesome. They need to be exposed and brought in for serious questioning.

RepubChica on May 17, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Fallon thanks

Rev Al wanted to make sure he was a bushie again this am

cmsinaz on May 17, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Brady: Who is responsible for the Targeting?

Miller: I object to the use of the word ‘Targeting’ – it was a ‘list’

Brady: WHO authorized this targeting – as the head of this department, I am asking you who is responsible

Miller: I do not know…but I object to the use of the word ‘targeting’…

Brady: Can you ensure us no data was given to anyone/shared…

Miller: I can’t….but I would be shocked…SHOCKED…if that was the case…

Brady: If your earlier answers are any indication we will be finding out the answers to these through the media when we should have been hearing about it from YOU.

Miller is the SOB who is leaving / stepping down the 1st week of June…the guy who, after hearing he was stepping down in June, Obama fired as the scapegoat in hopes the GOP would besatisfied with that.

easyt65 on May 17, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Final outcome if this? Obamacare needs to be tweaked and delayed until after the election so we can make sure the IRS is ready.

oldroy on May 17, 2013 at 10:02 AM

NotCoach on May 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I thought interdimensional time warps only happened in the UK

and

“Target is a loaded term so I can’t answer that” – Miller

Brady from Texas Rocks!

workingclass artist on May 17, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I knew it

Bush!

Thanks everyone

cmsinaz on May 17, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Brady nailed Miller. What that woman went through is chilling. And to think this had to be going on repeatedly over the last 3 years.

Doughboy on May 17, 2013 at 10:04 AM

So…What’s up with that?

workingclass artist on May 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM

If you’re using Firefox, anything can happen here. The HA webmaster must be a Firefox illiterate. Whether pages ever finish downloading, what steps you have to take to make the page refresh, whether links work, whether images display blah blah blah … these things change from day to day.

petefrt on May 17, 2013 at 10:04 AM

This outrage is not democrat or republican…cause we are up for re-election or something…- Rangel

Looking quite dapper this morning Mr. Rangel…Did you pay your taxes?

workingclass artist on May 17, 2013 at 10:05 AM

rut roh, Miller is claiming Paul Ryan is inserting politics into his question.

CoffeeLover on May 17, 2013 at 10:05 AM

ok this blog is acting wonky today. My comments are not posting at the end. The times are 5 minutes ahead of my clock, IE kept stopping so I switched over to Firefox and it’s still off.

Where is the IT people?

CoffeeLover on May 17, 2013 at 10:07 AM

NotCoach on May 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I’ve tried two comments and have been told that I’m commenting too quickly.

I hadn’t heard about Brady’s constituent. You can’t tell me that the IRS didn’t share information with other agencies. That’s outrageous.

BuckeyeSam on May 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Not sure, but I am sure he’s doing “Big Ol’ Jet Airliner”.

Touchin’ down in New England town
Feel the heat comin’ down
I’ve got to keep on keepin’ on
You know the big wheel keeps on spinnin’ around
And I’m goin’ with some hesitation
You know that I can surely see
That I don’t want to get caught up in any of that
Funky sh!t goin’ down in the city
tru2tx on May 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM

The OTHER Steve Miller also sang:

“He Makes his money from the people’s taxes…
Oh-oh. Take the money and run!”

Steve Z on May 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM

The question is whether your primary activities are social in nature – Miller

So….The Catholic League is a target because their activities are not primarily social in nature?

Miller seems to confuse social criticism and Free Speech with what exactly?

workingclass artist on May 17, 2013 at 10:09 AM

What is missing in these Hearings is COMMON SENSE!

You do not need Miller to say, “I knew about this targeting / abuse of the IRS & withheld that information from this committee.”

It is already OBVIOUS that is what happened.

RYAN just nailed Miller’s @$$ – “You withheld information from this committee – how is that not misleading this committee?”

Miller said he objects to the question because it implies political motivation…blah, blah, blah…

No, it implies he was aware of this problem, that it was ongoing, & he hid it from the Committee, NOY what the motivation behind the deceipt.

Miller has got a strangle-hold on the belief that in previous Committee hearings he answered the direct questions he was asked, that by not offering up information pertaining to the scandal that he was aware of is somehow NOT misleading or deceitful.
– As McDermot point out, there is a difference between STUPID mistakes & PLANNED decipt…

easyt65 on May 17, 2013 at 10:09 AM

HATCH ACT PERJURY so many ways to send these creeps to jail.

Just do it GOP house.

Just do it.

unseen on May 17, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Did Steve Miller break into a rendition of “Gangster of Love”?

Bishop on May 17, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Damn, I did not know he went into Politics!

O.K., If he uses the defense

“I really loved her Peaches, wanted to shake her Tree”

I say leave them all go.

ToddPA on May 17, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Miller didn’t lie…the gop are being partisan and trying to link this to wh
Dem member on committee speaking on msdnc

So we know the lsm talking points

Bush appointee
This meeting is trying to link to wh
Gop is too partisan
Not getting down to facts just a hack job

cmsinaz on May 17, 2013 at 10:12 AM

This issue cannot be fixed. The culture it created pervades the entire organization. What we need is to help our president fundamentall tranform the IRS into oblivion.

paulsur on May 17, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Holder pretty well summed up the defense of all of this: I don’t know…..just like a little kid….liberals are never accountable

crosshugger on May 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Ryan nailing Miller on prior congressional testimony

How can we conclude you did not mis-lead this committee. – Ryan

Miller is doing the parsing shuffle…

Ryan is having none of it.

You did not divulge that to this committee…You didn’t mention targeting based on ideology etc. – Ryan

workingclass artist on May 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Did Steve Miller break into a rendition of “Gangster of Love”?

Bishop on May 17, 2013 at 9:51 AM

No. It was “Take the Money and Run”.

antipc on May 17, 2013 at 9:48 AM

What the what? Who invited you in my head?

antipc on May 17, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Ryan nailed Miller too. He got him to admit that no left-wing groups or buzzwords were targeted by the IRS.

Doughboy on May 17, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Did you have a target list containing words like progressive – Ryan

There were no words like progressive used on the list? – Ryan

That is correct – Miller

Ryan’s Face Translation…Thanks so much MOFO

*Next*

workingclass artist on May 17, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Contained in the IRS
-lib

Yeah they have their talking points
Anything to deflect from dear leader

cmsinaz on May 17, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I did not have contact with the White House….that I know.

d1carter on May 17, 2013 at 10:20 AM