Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on May 16, 2013 by Allahpundit

Republicans must guard against the temptation to count on scandal to deliver election victories in 2014 and 2016.

It is a lesson they should have learned in 1998.
 Republicans expected to make large gains in Congress that year but ended up losing five House seats and standing pat in the Senate. The problem was not so much that Republicans “overreached” in pursuing the impeachment of President Clinton, as the conventional wisdom has it. The Republicans that year did not really run on a promise to remove Clinton from office — or on any other agenda. Their strategy was to assume that the scandal would redound to their benefit, and that they merely had to sit back and let victory rain o’er them. It didn’t.

The current lot should not make the same mistake. Democratic scandal does not take the place of a Republican agenda. It does not reform the tax code or reduce the debt or ease regulatory burdens on small business. It cannot substitute for a strategy to replace Obamacare.

***

As Domenech noted this morning:

“Here’s the hard thing Republicans have to do if they don’t want this crisis to go to waste: they have to ignore their id, the temptation of the sugar high of partisan point-scoring. They must willfully set aside Obama’s presence in the fray, leaving the short term personalized attacks on the table, and go after the much bigger prize. Obama isn’t running for office again. Liberalism is. Making this about him is a short term boost to the pleasure center of the conservative brain. Making this about the inherent falsehood of the progressive project will help conservatism win.”…

Republicans must remember that the problem is not Democrats in charge of government, but government itself. The argument falls flat if Republicans revert to “big government conservative” arguments of “put us in charge” and we’ll do better with the same. No they won’t.

Government is the problem. The vastness, complexity, and nefarious encroachment into our personal lives should be fought, not just blamed on the other side.

***

It’s fine if there is at some point political hay to be made out of this — that’s a key part of the adversarial nature of accountability in democratic politics, not a defect within it — but it would be a far better thing for the country if the president were to adopt such an aggressively reformist agenda for the IRS that there would be no hay to be made, no room to get to the right of him on the issue. The important thing is to make sure that the administration does the right thing here, even if it does so only because it is in the president’s political interests. When political incentives produce desirable outcomes, we should let them work. If the president wants to take the lead in this matter, fine: That’s what we have presidents for. That does not mean that Congress steps away from its oversight responsibilities or conducts anything less than a full and deep investigation: That’s why we have separation of powers.

I myself doubt very much that the president or any of his immediate circle had a hand in this — it is in the nature of the Left (and in the nature of political power itself) that no marching orders from the top are necessary. University presidents do not tell hiring committees to discriminate against conservative academics, they just do it. No president or Treasury secretary had to tell the IRS to do this.

In some ways, the received version of events is worse than would be a top-directed cabal of rogue IRS agents acting on orders from political superiors. A corrupt element within an agency can be rooted out, and a criminal conspiracy can be unraveled. When the agency is the criminal conspiracy, then the challenge of reform becomes that much greater.

***

Policy-wonks dismiss scandal because it’s not in their specialty wheelhouse of policy. But governance is not just policy — it is also governance, that is to say, it is also management, and all the requirements of sound management, such as focus to detail, ethics, integrity, and honesty.

Why is it somehow “less” to knock the White House and the Democrats for failing at these things? Are they not important as well?

Policy matters, but so does personnel. And, let’s recall — policy is personnel.

Let’s be honest here: 40% of the voters have no idea what policies are in play in any specific election, and 70% of them don’t know the specifics of policies under consideration. We tend to know broad strokes…

So yes, I do wish to run on scandal, at least partially, because You cannot trust them is a very effective campaign theme, and has won more elections than any policy-based theme.

***

[A]s much as congressional Republicans are enjoying their schadenfreude, they would be well advised to think long and hard about their next steps. Even the most cursory look at opinion polls or focus groups reveals that the public is convinced we have an ineffectual and out-of-touch Congress that spends too much time backbiting, grandstanding, and Monday-morning quarterbacking while the country’s problems fester. Arguably, showboating for the cameras and holding hearings are what Congress does best; the temptation is unavoidable.

Republicans would be much wiser to pursue a third option: Dig up as much damaging information as they can about the Obama administration and leak it to reporters they know will write tough stories that won’t be traced back to the source. That way, the public won’t see the GOP as being obsessed with attacking the other side and playing gotcha at the expense of the big issues facing the country—the ones voters really care about.

***

”The area we have to avoid is to not use the ‘I’ word — impeachment,” said Bolger. “It is far too early for that, and talking about impeachment now means you are not serious about the issue — you are just trying to score political points.”

Bolger’s advice? Use the IRS and AP stories to make a broader point about the differing views the parties have of the role of government. “AP and IRS are what happens when you elect people who worship at the altar of unfettered government,” explained Bolger. “Big, powerful government is not the answer.”

Another Republican consultant, granted anonymity to speak candidly, added that his party has to double track — investigating wrongdoing while also pushing its own positive agenda. ”This is part of my concern about the GOP being the poster child of Washington dysfunction because all we ever do is block legislation, we never pass anything,” the source wrote in an e-mail to The Fix. “We need to deal with immigration, budget, tax reform, etc. etc. while we’re doing this.”

***

Republicans may feel greater effects. Even before these disclosures, congressional Republicans had dramatically escalated their resistance to Obama’s second term. While the House is voting yet again this week to repeal the president’s health care law, Senate Republicans have blocked consideration of Obama’s nominees for Labor secretary and Environmental Protection Agency administrator. As in Clinton’s era, the approaching cycle of investigation, media leak, and hearing-room confrontation over the IRS and Benghazi will deepen a sense of unstinting partisan conflict that will further narrow the space for serious legislative negotiations.

Davis, now director of federal affairs at the Deloitte consulting firm, says one critical difference from the Clinton years is that many GOP leaders still consider deals with Obama on immigration and the debt ceiling to be in the party’s self-interest. But to the extent Republicans believe scandal is bloodying Obama (and thus Democrats for 2014 and 2016), party leaders will face greater pressure not to buttress him with any policy agreements. “This makes it far more challenging for someone … who wants to do deals with a president who is just despised by the base,” says Gillon.

If these investigations ultimately impede deal-making on issues such as immigration, they will imperil Obama’s desire for a legislative legacy and stunt his second term. Yet such a breakdown would also endanger the GOP’s need to expand its unsustainably narrow electoral coalition. Republicans could find that stoking the flames of scandal may sear not only Obama’s hopes but also their own.

***

“These guys are awfully frustrated right now,” Carville said, referring to the GOP. “They’re taking the anger out, and I understand that. I think the White House has just go to live with this for 30 days, get the truth out and you know, just roll with the punches here. They’re down to swinging pretty wildly here.”

He added, “That’s just going to be what we’re going to have to deal with here for the next month and I think the president needs to get ahead of it and probably put a new person in there and find out what happened and report to the American people and it will burn itself out, too. And it will move to the next thing.”

***

Yes, Democrats destroyed Richard Nixon and shook America’s faith in government. But for all that effort, they ended up controlling the White House for just four of the next eighteen years.

To be sure, there were many other consequences, and there were numerous reasons why Republicans continuing winning the White House, despite Nixon’s resignation. But at the end of the day, we’re still left with this: Even the model scenario for ousting a sitting president yielded, at best, mixed results for the party out of power.

But that’s not the point. This isn’t about politics, it’s about the rule of law.

It’s about doing what’s right. It’s about holding powerful people accountable. It’s about preserving liberty. It’s about sending a message to the next administration that we’re watching — that abuses of power won’t be tolerated.

***

Via Mediaite.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6 7

KCB on May 17, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Ohhhhhhhhh I get kisses and hugs!! ( xoxo )

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:06 AM

peaking of Dali, Axe, study up. Sophie likes.

If you already know this, of course just ignore.

Schadenfreude on May 17, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Not oblivious . . . but . . . I already opened back up some dusty books. :)

I actually studied a little. In another life. But I had to choose in order to move. Frank Lloyd Wright, or Dostoevsky? Not to look at, to be. I’m not good at looking, hence the need to close doors. I went with Dostoevsky (so to speak) — but I’ve got houses and . . . I’ve designed because I had to. Eventually, I figured out that I could focus on one thing, use that for everything. That’s when the Angela C. came to blueprints. :)

But . . . there’s so much more to know. It seems endless. I would know it all. :)

/just-talking

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:06 AM

400

Schadenfreude on May 17, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Are they crazy or just incompetent?

The “many GOP leaders” who believe that should be named and shamed.

aquaviva on May 17, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Whoomp maybe?

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Like “Whoomp, there it is”? Then why the heck doesn’t she spell it like that?

cptacek on May 17, 2013 at 1:07 AM

400

Schadenfreude on May 17, 2013 at 1:06 AM

The movie?

Bmore on May 17, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:06 AM

You could ‘talk’ all night, I’d sit and read and contemplate, who is Axe? :-) ….

HA’s Mystery Man…

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:06 AM

You talk funny but it’s fun to watch you talk :)

p.s. sometimes I wonder if even you know what you talk about :)

Schadenfreude on May 17, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Schadenfreude on May 17, 2013 at 12:56 AM

LOL! Me, either. CGI is an amazing thing. I particularly liked how seamlessly they used the diving positions of humans as the template for the giraffes and accounted for the long necks and legs in the tucks. They got the momentum exactly right, too, as the tuck precipitated and forced the somersaults. Fabulous.

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2013 at 1:09 AM

….I know, but – it’s Rahsaan Roland KIRK!!! Didn’t know film existed…… only person I know ever played three saxophones simultaneously….. other than Pharoah Sanders – who I saw in New Awlin’s years ago – who played the saxophone without blowing into it……the most amazing musical feats I’ve ever seen….even more than Hendrix……

williamg on May 17, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Actually, I get absurdly attached to these things. I hate it when I actually have to replace one. It’s silly, I know.

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2013 at 1:03 AM

It takes forever to get them configured. :)

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:09 AM

cptacek on May 17, 2013 at 1:07 AM

She who? What did I miss?

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:09 AM

williamg on May 17, 2013 at 1:09 AM

I looked and listened at it for a few moments williamg but I wasn’t too keen on it so I book marked it for later… :-)

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Lost In My Dream

It was a strange dream
It took my heart from me
And though it did seem
To end my misery
I could still see where
My life was headin’ for
A voice cried beware
Your fate’s behind the door

And now I’m still lost
In my dream of fear
It’s the end for me
Somewhere in the frost
On the seam of my mind
Waits my destiny
Don’t think I’ve gone there today

It was a strange dream
The dark eye stead to me
They had a deep clean
Reflecting fantasy
Then out of nowhere
There came a voice to me
It said this nightmare
Will be reality

And now I’m still lost
In my dream of fear
It’s the end for me
Somewhere in the frost
On the seam of my mind
Waits my destiny

Don’t think of gone love again

Gotta’ find a way home somehow

Lost in infinite sleep somewhere

novaculus on May 17, 2013 at 1:11 AM

She who? What did I miss?

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Erica frequently uses it in her headlines.

cptacek on May 17, 2013 at 1:11 AM

HA’s Mystery Man…

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:08 AM

lol — u goof. :)

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Two Pieces. Here and here. See what you think. ; )

Bmore on May 17, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Like ‘em both – but the umbrella piece is a special kind of brilliant…….I mean it glows!

williamg on May 17, 2013 at 1:12 AM

The movie?

Bmore on May 17, 2013 at 1:07 AM

No…I just wanted to throw the column/page over the top, but my buddy Axe beat me. Was just goofy.

How are you Bmore? Interesting times, indeed. Pls. consider my Three Monkeys of Oblivion photoshop. It’s perfect for the times. Thanks ahead.

Schadenfreude on May 17, 2013 at 1:12 AM

novaculus on May 17, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I like that very much!!!!

Is that yours?

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:13 AM

If you are talking about instructing the IRS to target the crazy anti America tea party groups that are doing all they can to set this country back, Yes i am happy with him.

HotAirLib on May 16, 2013 at 11:07 PM

And the Jews too, Brownshirt?

John the Libertarian on May 17, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Oooooooooooooooook!! Lmao… I am quite goofy at times ;-D

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Can’t Find My Way Home

novaculus on May 17, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Just go to the 1:45 mark in the video………start there and it will make sense…..

williamg on May 17, 2013 at 1:15 AM

cptacek on May 17, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Ahhhh, well maybe my ‘whoomp’ is the brit version and how she writes it is the american version?

Lol

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Yes, it does.:) And I get used to the feel of the thing. Each one seems to have its own touch on the keys, its own little quirks. It takes me a little while to ‘learn’ a new one.

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2013 at 1:16 AM

williamg on May 17, 2013 at 1:15 AM

I sure will, like I sad I have it to listen to tomorrow…

I was entranced by the Giraffes!!…

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:16 AM

HAL just grates on my last nerve!!

I can’t abide it…

All I can do is curse at it …

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Lost in infinite sleep somewhere

novaculus on May 17, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Sort of fearless, that. :)

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Resist We Much on May 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Oh no. Oh geezuz no…

novaculus on May 17, 2013 at 1:18 AM

walsh,satriani,vai and may

jrsrigmvr on May 17, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Resist We Much on May 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Lmao!! Looking for a nut and about to lose it’s own!!!!

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Pic of the Day: The Ultimate ‘Squirrel!’

Resist We Much on May 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM

NO ONE CLICK THAT LINK!!!

so, so wrong

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM

It doesn’t realize that its head will go first.

Schadenfreude on May 17, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM

That one was for you, Axe, but I was afraid to say so beforehand.

novaculus on May 17, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Oh no. Oh geezuz no…

novaculus on May 17, 2013 at 1:18 AM

lol — too late for Nova

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Oh no. Oh geezuz no…

novaculus on May 17, 2013 at 1:18 AM

I thought that I’d give you guys something to sleep on…

lol

Resist We Much on May 17, 2013 at 1:19 AM

…actually the 1:43 mark….

williamg on May 17, 2013 at 1:19 AM

jrsrigmvr on May 17, 2013 at 1:18 AM

That’s some good music right there!!

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:20 AM

jrsrigmvr on May 17, 2013 at 1:18 AM

You know, that’s just amazing, Fred. Very cool, indeed. :)

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2013 at 1:20 AM

HAL just grates on my last nerve!!

I can’t abide it…

All I can do is curse at it …

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Claimed earlier it had to get to bed because it has a “9 to 5″. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it posting at all hours, so pretty sure that is a lie. But then that’s what liberals do, lie.

/My excuse? Home recovering from another eye surgery, so doing some minimal work from home but mostly having to be inactive in one position, so this iPad is a blessing for that.

AZfederalist on May 17, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Pic of the Day: The Ultimate ‘Squirrel!’

Resist We Much on May 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM

That’s one of those pictures, as a man, where my first reaction is to flinch. Ouch! Save that poor squirrel’s nuts!

NotCoach on May 17, 2013 at 1:21 AM

The movie?

Bmore on May 17, 2013 at 1:07 AM

There’s a movie called 300. And there’s a movie called 400 Blows.

John the Libertarian on May 17, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Resist We Much on May 17, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Sleep!! Shoot. After that!! I will PMSL all night long!!

You should hear me!! My neighbours must think I have gone nuts!!!

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:21 AM

That one was for you, Axe, but I was afraid to say so beforehand.

novaculus on May 17, 2013 at 1:19 AM

lol — well, good job anyway. :)

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Schadenfreude on May 17, 2013 at 1:19 AM

For a few there seems to be some hope. That popping sound you hear isn’t champagne corks… its LEFTIST heads coming out of derrieres across the land. :)

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Resist We Much on May 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Lol!

Bmore on May 17, 2013 at 1:22 AM

AZfederalist on May 17, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Yeah that’s all it knows how to do, ask a question and off it runs!!

Oh I do hope you recover from your surgery!!

Rest and take it easy…

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:23 AM

williamg on May 17, 2013 at 1:19 AM

Will do :-)

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:24 AM

NO ONE CLICK THAT LINK!!!

so, so wrong

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:19 AM

I have it on good authority that the squirrel was heard screaming:

‘How could this happen??? I smell like Suave!!!’

Resist We Much on May 17, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:19 AM

I appreciate the effort to warn a brutha. But yeah, too late.

Waaaaaay too late.

novaculus on May 17, 2013 at 1:24 AM

AZfederalist on May 17, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I hope you recover goodly AZfederalist.

Schadenfreude on May 17, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Pic of the Day: The Ultimate ‘Squirrel!’

Resist We Much on May 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Not sure what to make of that, on the one hand, the little tree rat was dispensed poetic justice; on the other hand, O_O

AZfederalist on May 17, 2013 at 1:25 AM

NotCoach on May 17, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I’ve pulled that pole down, thrown a couple towels over the squirrel, grabbed my gloves (wounded wild animal, there) — and extricated the poor guy every time I’ve looked at it. :)

No man took that pic. No man would have thought, “Hey, I ‘m going to get the camera!”

I tell myself he’s fine. They took care of it. He’s fine. He’s fine.

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Resist We Much on May 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM

you can only say that…cuz your a lady…
no man would call that the pic of the day…

here’s a more manly pic of a true leader…
pic of the day…from blackfive
sure you might find him butt naked in Vegas…but
i ask…who hasnt been naked in Vegas befor??

going2mars on May 17, 2013 at 1:25 AM

You should hear me!! My neighbours must think I have gone nuts!!!

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:21 AM

hehehehe

Thx, Bmore.

Resist We Much on May 17, 2013 at 1:25 AM

its LEFTIST heads coming out of derrieres across the land. :)

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Pfui!!!

I hope most suffocate in there. I’m done with them. No more being nice. The media derelicts destroyed the land. May the combust, most of them, painfully.

Schadenfreude on May 17, 2013 at 1:26 AM

clapton

jrsrigmvr on May 17, 2013 at 1:26 AM

I have it on good authority that the squirrel was heard screaming:

‘How could this happen??? I smell like Suave!!!’

Resist We Much on May 17, 2013 at 1:24 AM

LOL

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:26 AM

going2mars on May 17, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Awesome. Harry cleans up well.

Resist We Much on May 17, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:25 AM

I hope so! Poor thing…

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I’m strictly prose. I know less about verse than Eric Holder knows about what’s happening in the DOJ. I just love that old blast and thought the lyrics were interesting.

novaculus on May 17, 2013 at 1:27 AM

AZfederalist on May 17, 2013 at 1:25 AM

lmfao

Resist We Much on May 17, 2013 at 1:28 AM

novaculus on May 17, 2013 at 1:27 AM

It was great, moving, thought provoking…

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Captain Wales recently took a walk in Section 60 at Arlington National Cemetery

do you think you could call some of your ole brit friends
and maybe we could trade for the capt…like Biden for your Prince
or some such deal??

going2mars on May 17, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Schadenfreude on May 17, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Yes. But the awareness of their situation will render the final result of their insipidness, vanity, hubris, vapidity, willfull ignorance, all that much more painful.

Those who suffer reality without awarness suffer far less than those who, too late, become aware.

I’m delighted that some are now appalled and terrified at the reality of what they created and inflicted on this nation. As it all ‘cascades’ down upon them, they will understand with great clarity what they’ve done.

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Virgil, Aeneid, II, ii. 250–267

And now the heavens shift and the night comes in,
And covers with its darkness earth and sky
And the tricks of the Myrmidons. Throughout the city
The Trojans, wearied by joy, lie fast asleep.
And now the Greeks set out from Tenedos,
Their ships proceeding in an ordered line,
Under the friendly light of the silent moon,
Making their way toward the shore they know so well,
And when the royal galley’s beacon light
Is lighted, Sinon sees it, and quietly goes,
Protected by malign complicit fates,
And furtively opens up the Horse’s flank
And frees the Argive warriors from its womb.
The Horse releases them to the open air
And joyfully they come out: first come the captains
Thessander, and Sthenelus, and dire Ulysses,
Lowering themselves to the ground by means of a rope,
And Acamas and Thoas, and Pyrrhus, Achilles’ son,
And Machaon the prince, and Menelaus,
And Epeus, he, who contrived the Wooden Horse
That fooled us so. And then they enter the city,
That’s deep submerged in wine and unknowing sleep;
They surprise and kill the watch, and open the gates
To welcome in their comrades from the fleet,
Letting them in for what they are going to do.

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:30 AM

“Obamacare empowers the agency that just violated the public’s trust by secretly targeting conservative groups,” Rep. Marlin Stutzman, R-Ind., added. “Even by Washington’s standards, that’s unacceptable.”

Sen. John Cornyn even introduced a bill, the “Keep the IRS Off Your Health Care Act of 2013,” which would prohibit the Secretary of the Treasury, or any delegate, including the IRS, from enforcing the Affordable Care Act.

Now more than ever, we need to prevent the IRS from having any role in Americans’ health care,” Cornyn, R-Texas, stated. “I do not support Obamacare, and after the events of last week, I cannot support giving the IRS any more responsibility or taxpayer dollars to implement a broken law.”

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell also reacted to the revelation late Thursday, stating the news was “stunning, just stunning.”

Schadenfreude on May 17, 2013 at 1:31 AM

going2mars on May 17, 2013 at 1:29 AM

That pic spoke volumes, thanks for posting :-)

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:31 AM

I tell myself he’s fine. They took care of it. He’s fine. He’s fine.

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:25 AM

God, I hope so. Excuse me while I cross my legs.

NotCoach on May 17, 2013 at 1:32 AM

like Biden for your Prince
or some such deal??

going2mars on May 17, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Dude, his dad sings to his plants. There are probably a lot of people, who would exchange Charles for Biden. Harry? Not so much.

Resist We Much on May 17, 2013 at 1:32 AM

I tell myself he’s fine. They took care of it. He’s fine. He’s fine.

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:25 AM

I didn’t look. Thanks for the warning. I’ve seen enough pain and misery. :)

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Pic of the Day: The Ultimate ‘Squirrel!’

Resist We Much on May 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM

There’s a picture on our bulliten board, very very graffic, of a derrick hand who didn’t tighten his harness properly who’s much worse off than that squirrel!

Fred

jrsrigmvr on May 17, 2013 at 1:33 AM

novaculus on May 17, 2013 at 1:27 AM

OK. Interesting. :) I was thinking of the song in its entirety. Excellent DOJ reference. :)

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:34 AM

*Styx also brave that way. But . . . not mellow or lyrical.

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:35 AM

williamg on May 17, 2013 at 1:32 AM

That’s pretty intersesting. :) I had a video of a woman who can play three trumpets at the same time.

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2013 at 1:35 AM

‘How could this happen??? I smell like Suave!!!’

Resist We Much on May 17, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Here’s my version

“How could this happen??? Aaa, aaaa, Aaaa am the, tah, da, I is King”.

Schadenfreude on May 17, 2013 at 1:35 AM

More Clapton.And friends.

Have You Ever Loved A Woman

“Have You Ever Loved A Woman”
(Billy Myles)

Have you ever loved a woman
So much you tremble in pain?
Have you ever loved a woman
So much you tremble in pain?
And all the time you know
She bears another man’s name.

But you just love that woman
So much it’s a shame and a sin.
You just love that woman
So much it’s a shame and a sin.
But all the time you know
She belongs to your very best friend.

Have you ever loved a woman
And you know you can’t leave her alone?
Have you ever loved a woman
And you know you can’t leave her alone?
Something deep inside of you
Won’t let you wreck your best friend’s home.

novaculus on May 17, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Fred

jrsrigmvr on May 17, 2013 at 1:33 AM

OH MY GOD, PLEASE STOP!! I don’t need the images either!

NotCoach on May 17, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Resist We Much on May 17, 2013 at 1:32 AM

laffs…his dad isnt too weird for his plant singing…
his choice in second wives has me concerned….

we’ll take the prince….besides he wont be king
so he’s probably looking for a gig..

going2mars on May 17, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Gravity – Mayer

I’m worn through. I bid you all a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always. See you soon.

“Keep yourselves where the light is.”

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Oh yeah, the whole thing is of a part. Like Morrisons’s stuff with the Doors, the music was integral.

novaculus on May 17, 2013 at 1:37 AM

How come not a peep from Biden and Hillary, lately?

Schadenfreude on May 17, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Schadenfreude on May 17, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Hope they do this…

Tho they vote today to repeal Ocare…

What good will it do, won’t make it past Reid, he’ll table it as he does every bill the repubs put forth…

* spit *

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Almost missed that protecting my bidness from RWM.

Nice, Scrump. :)

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:38 AM

G’ night Jackie

novaculus on May 17, 2013 at 1:38 AM

trust the nougat, trust the nougat, trust the nougat

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:39 AM

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Well – try this……start at the 1:43 mark:

There’s “playing”…..and then there’s actually Playing……

williamg on May 17, 2013 at 1:39 AM

“Keep yourselves where the light is.”

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Evening, Jackie. :) Glad you stopped by.

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:40 AM

williamg on May 17, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Different!! Thanks :-)

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Nite Jackie

Schadenfreude on May 17, 2013 at 1:41 AM

thatsafactjack on May 17, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Sleep a deep sleep you earned it!!

God Bless and Good night Jackie!!

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:41 AM

novaculus on May 17, 2013 at 1:37 AM

dude. I could go for a little . . .

I’ll do this. Nights in White Satin

Axe on May 17, 2013 at 1:43 AM

time to call mama

Adios: vaya con dios

Fred

Coach: take a shot of Jack Daniels and the visions will go away.

jrsrigmvr on May 17, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Good night Fred! Great tunes as always :-)

God Bless and sleep good!

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:47 AM

* spit *

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:37 AM

The TEA party, awoken and reloaded, will throw him out.

Schadenfreude on May 17, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Morning Examiner: Sen. Marco Rubio ‘kneecaps’ fellow conservatives (April 23, 2013):
“Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., is running a campaign-style press operation to push an immigration overhaul, a fitting move for a politician who needs it to bolster a rumored 2016 presidential bid,” Roll Call reports this morning. “Rubio’s Senate office has adopted a rapid-response strategy similar to Obama for America’s vaunted 2012 tactics,” Roll Call continues.
The wider conservative movement (evidently not including Levin, Limbaugh and Hannity however who don’t seem to even mind their dear friend Rubio the lying worm using Obama type talking points and tactics against conservatives to try to push amnesty down America’s throat) is taking note of Rubio’s talking points and tactics. National Review‘s Victor Davis Hanson writes:

“The strange thing about the Republican members in the Gang of Eight debate is that to ram through immigration legislation, they and their supporters are beginning to adopt the same sort of tactics that we have seen used by the Left during the fights over Obamacare and gun control: obfuscate the issue by imprecise vocabulary and ahistorical allusions; demonize your opponents with all sorts of crazy accusations of quasi-tolerance of “slavery” to abortion; create a false sort of urgency (we are supposed to pass this very minute the huge and mostly unread immigration bill in the manner of the huge and unread Obamacare bill); and speak loftily of principles and humanitarianism when the issue is mostly driven by electoral politics and demography.”

VorDaj on May 17, 2013 at 1:48 AM

williamg on May 17, 2013 at 1:39 AM

He’s good for sure!!

Scrumpy on May 17, 2013 at 1:49 AM

The TEA party, awoken and reloaded, will throw him out.

Schadenfreude on May 17, 2013 at 1:48 AM

And hopefully the lying worm Rubio with him.

VorDaj on May 17, 2013 at 1:50 AM