Obama to Marines: Hey, come here and hold an umbrella over me and Erdogan, will you?

posted at 5:21 pm on May 16, 2013 by Allahpundit

Via Greg Hengler, I’m sure this has been done before by other presidents, simply because the optics are sufficiently bad that Team O wouldn’t have tried it without precedent to cite in its defense. Free advice to future administrations, then: Discontinue this practice. These guys aren’t valets. The slogan is not “The Few, the Proud, the Umbrella Stands.” The good news is, we live in a golden age of technological progress where all manner of standalone head coverings are available in case the skies look cloudy for the next Rose Garden press conference. Imagine a small, thin, clear plastic tarp raised a few feet above the podiums, out of the camera’s line of sight, shielding The One and America’s Hamas-supporting Islamist cretin “ally” from nature’s wrath. Magical.

As for the substance of the presser: He makes no apologies for vigorously investigating national-security leaks, even if that involves a de facto dragnet of 20 reporters’ phone records; and he has complete confidence in Eric Holder. Basically what you’d expect.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Just an innocent blood-lusting question but, aren’t these Marines on duty? Does that duty it have anything to do with protection? Can they carry that out while holding an umbrella or are these James Bond umbrellas that fire 9mm rounds from the tip?

Just seems that you might want to ask an aide or two to keep your head dry and let the Marines do what they’re there to do.

For my couple of cents, I just can’t see myself even thinking to ask those men to hold my umbrella. It tells you a lot about the Ego in Chief, though it’s hardly a revelation. Who didn’t think he was like this?

IndieDogg on May 16, 2013 at 8:33 PM

As for Marines being soldiers. In earlier days Marines were an integral part of the Navy and were considered “naval infantry” or “naval soldiers”. Now the Marines are independent of the Navy and come under a head general-Commindant of the Marine Corps whereas the Navy’s head honcho is the Chief of Naval Operations.Both, however, are under the Department of the Navy whose head is a civilian. So, generally it might be correct to consider Marines as Department of the Navy “soldiers” or “infantry” although specifically the term “soldier” has come to mean a member of the US Army. The bottom line is that the term “soldier” (unspecified) almost always means Army but it would not be incorrect to call a Marine a soldier since they perform almost identical functions in most cases. By the way this same controversy crops up with the term “military” does it mean just Army or all armed forces members? The answer is not 100% clear.

But, the important thing is NO MEMBER OF THE US ARMED FORCES MUST BE TREATED AS A SERVANT.

MaiDee on May 16, 2013 at 8:34 PM

She has it right again.

Scandalous Hat Trick

Mr. President, when it rains it pours, but most Americans hold their own umbrellas. Today in the Rose Garden you dismissed the idea of a Special Counsel to investigate the IRS scandal. With that, your galling political hubris shined bright in the midst of today’s dark clouds.

Mr. President, how can we trust your Justice Department to conduct an independent investigation when there is a systemic violation of the Hatch Act throughout your administration?

Surely you are aware that the Hatch Act prevents certain federal employees from engaging in political activity. Specifically, it’s illegal for these federal employees to engage in action in support of or in opposition to a political party, a candidate for partisan political office, or a partisan political group.

Yet that is exactly what’s happened within the IRS, the Justice Department, and in the Benghazi cover-up. This scandalous hat trick is on your watch. It is not believable that you knew nothing about Obama administration actions in dealing with these scandals. And in regards to Benghazi, when you should have taken appropriate action to save American lives – for instance by calling in the Marines – you were AWOL. Just weeks before the election your team scrubbed the Benghazi talking points in 12 different versions, lied to the American people about some YouTube video being to blame for the deaths of brave Americans who put our country first, and you prove Michael Barone right when he writes, “What actually happened in Benghazi was out of sync with the Obama campaign line.” That’s why you all did what you did. Pure raw politics were at play during a horrific time of loss.

For more evidence of Hatch Act violations right under your nose, simply consider DOJ’s “massive and unprecedented intrusion” into the free press. Do you think they picked up some political talk when tapping the phones in the House press gallery?

Your team is out of control. Those who cannot remember the past and learn from it are doomed to repeat it, and that is exactly what is happening. Look back exactly 40 years ago this week and apply that disheartening chapter of American history to the team you’ve chosen and lead today.

Some of us warned America; we cautioned voters in 2008 that a community organizer with no executive experience and no sense of accountability would be a very poor choice for the nation’s top management position.

Mr. President, you said today that you have “complete confidence” in the Attorney General. America doesn’t. Eric Holder needs to appoint an unbiased Special Counsel to investigate the illegal political action of this administration. And then Eric Holder needs to resign.

Most Americans see ominous dark clouds looming beyond the White House Rose Garden, Mr. President. They’ll roll away only when light is shined on the Obama administration’s antics, and America will only recover when you cease avoiding responsibility in this mission of yours to fundamentally transform America. For that to happen, the press had better learn from their experiences of being duped and provide a deserving public fairer, more intelligent coverage.

Speaking of coverage, glad you finally called in the Marines… shame it was just to hold your umbrella.

- Sarah Palin

derft on May 16, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Hold your own damn umbrella, you worthless stooge. Bark doesn’t have the courage and honor that those Marines have in their left feet, he’s a douchebag.

Bishop on May 16, 2013 at 8:37 PM

No kidding! The next thing you know all these partisaned people will demand he wipe his own arse.

happytobehere on May 16, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Funny how liberal idiots claim they are educated while showing, time and again. how poor that supposed “education” is. A diploma is not even good for ass wiping when its given to an idiot who ever understood what’s actually being taught. But the moron in WH has proven that so many times by now…

The really appalling thing about this photo-op was the idiot forcing the 2 Marines to break their code of conduct. Male Marines cannot carry an umbrella. But what the hell, they are corpseman, right?

riddick on May 16, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Couldn’t they have set up a canopy over the podiums?

Or isn’t anybody in the Obama Administration capable of checking the weather report before setting up an outdoor conference?

The country’s in the best of hands.

Socratease on May 16, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I had a girlfriend that worked on one of Michael Jackson’s music videos, she had to hold his umbrella over him when he was off camera so the sun wouldn’t shine on his skin(too much plastic).

She was humiliated.
Barry is just like MJ, a psycho child.

MontanaMmmm on May 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM

U.S. Marines prevent TWO piles of sh*t from melting in the rain …

… is there a medal for that?

Pork-Chop on May 16, 2013 at 8:52 PM

She was humiliated.
Barry is just like MJ, a psycho child.

MontanaMmmm on May 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Didn’t complain about the paycheck though did she? She must have been very happy to cash that..

HotAirLib on May 16, 2013 at 8:52 PM

She was humiliated.
Barry is just like MJ, a psycho child.

MontanaMmmm on May 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM

At least she didn’t have to worry about him inviting her to a sleepover.

arnold ziffel on May 16, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Barack Obama – a President not smart enough to get out of the rain.

ajacksonian on May 16, 2013 at 8:54 PM

hey genius, marines ARE soldiers

nonpartisan on May 16, 2013 at 6:10 PM

You’re an idiot..

I’m a former Airman,.. United States Air Force, Security Police Ground Combat Specialist, Strategic Air Command, 15th Air Force, 4th Air Division, 90th Strategic Missile Wing, 90th Security Police Group, 90th Security Police Squadron, Charlie Flight, 3rd Squad. After the 50′s our 15th traded B-36′s for Minuteman III’s ,.. my unit was tasked with the obliteration of the greater Soviet Union in a nuclear exchange.. Thanking God.. that was never necessary.. they collapsed from the rot of a utopian left system

I trained with US Army Rangers,.. US Navy Sailors, and United States Marines…

When I stood post, No one had the authority to order me to go get their bags.. My post was the security of stored nuclear weapons and all related Priority A materials.. no one, could pull me off that post outside my chain of command because the mission was vastly more important than some officers ego…

The president is CIC, Those Marines clearly could not say no, which makes that son of a b1tches disrespect even worse.. to act as he did was to spit on the long heart breaking process of becoming a Marine.. On the blood of two centuries of Marines, on the Honor of the United States First to Fight..

You won’t find any American who knows the military has family serving, or have served, who wouldn’t think this was a nasty petty act of a small petty little man..

His way of saying.. “I command Marines to do whatever I want, GFY America..”

This from the thug who turned every federal agency into an attack dog of the DNC.. harassing Americans for their political views..

all so that retard (No parts that count) could giggle and cum in his pants over him puttin those cavemen in their place..

From the fields of Shiloh, the trenches and mustard gas of France, to New Guinea, Germany, to the paddy dikes and urban combat during Tet.. my family had men there.

As have everyone here.. without exception.. we all know friends or have family to answer the call.

that you now exactly zero about our traditions, or what would anger people like us, tells volumes about the left wing bubble you dwell in..

You see it as partisan hate.. because you are blinded by being the partisan without the sense to see ANY president doing this on camera would catch Hell for it.

You no parts.. have the grace, and sense of a goat.. you’d rather than address WHY he so grievously insulted the military and their families..

reach right for the crying towel .. we’re being mean to your low rent pale copy of Moses.

Those Marines had to be grinding their teeth.. I would have been, that you not only reveal what a sycophant you are, but whine because the rest of us don’t bend a knee to your false God.

mark81150 on May 16, 2013 at 9:00 PM

HotAirLib on May 16, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Sure she cashed it, notice I said had as in the past, haven’t spoken with her in a few years…she’s a big lib like you.

So stuff it.

MontanaMmmm on May 16, 2013 at 9:03 PM

- Sarah Palin

derft on May 16, 2013 at 8:35 PM

THIS needs it’s own thread!

Go Sarah..:)

idesign on May 16, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I would volunteer to hold the Umbrella for the Marine. He is worth more than this POS President…jesus at least try to look like a real man, Barky.

ninjacoastie on May 16, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Come on people… Ignore it ( nonpartisan ) and it will go away.

maintenanceman on May 16, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Leave it to HAL to outdo nonpartisened for the dumbest comment of the thread. Good job twinkie.

CW on May 16, 2013 at 9:21 PM

The Code of Conduct instructed us that no man in uniform would ever hold an umbrella, unless it was for a woman he was escorting,.. Men had rain covers for their service caps, or failing that, simply stood or walked without it. Men did not use an umbrella in uniform..

I still don’t, though I hold one for my children on occasion.

In Obama’s place I simply would have ignored the rain and carried on.. what a man does.. but this is Obama we’re talking about here, so all bets are off..

his mascara might run..

mark81150 on May 16, 2013 at 9:23 PM

HotAirLib on May 16, 2013 at 8:52 PM

uh huh..

and were your boss to tell you to wipe his butt for him, you’d cash YOUR paycheck smiling too…

you can’t seem to process boss employee dynamics, needing a paycheck is not the same as being a sycophant, though maybe on your planet..

You liberals always blindly worship your leaders, without exception.. we vote out of necessity, you do out of holy devotion..

mark81150 on May 16, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Impeachment article #6.

HICON on May 16, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Barry always has at least one umbrella on hand so to speak.

At any given time, there’s a full golf umbrella lodged in his rectum. It’s what gives him his warmth and charm.

NoDonkey on May 16, 2013 at 9:33 PM

He’s gonna be pissed when he finds out that that Marine dropped his club bag when he pulled out that umbrella.

WestTexasBirdDog on May 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I WON.

losarkos on May 16, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Doesn’t anyone remember what happened the last time he handled an umbrella?

pt on May 16, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Obama calls in the Marines when it’s drizzling on him but not when our Embassy is in Benghazi is under attack.

OxyCon on May 16, 2013 at 10:06 PM

If I had won I might have held the umbrella for my marines, Sempervivum Fidelis.

losarkos on May 16, 2013 at 10:06 PM

As a vet, I was immediately angry when I saw what Obama did with those Marines.

amr on May 16, 2013 at 10:10 PM

hey genius, marines ARE soldiers

nonpartisan on May 16, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Marines are definitely not soldiers. They are Marines.

Some have been know to have skeet shootie thingies though … Genius.

You my friend, are the Cliff Clavin of Hot Air.

hawkdriver on May 16, 2013 at 10:15 PM

As a vet, I was immediately angry when I saw what Obama did with those Marines.

amr on May 16, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Me too. But please know that as a civilian, I was really proud of them.

Axe on May 16, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Today I had the honor of being invited to the commissioning of 13 Second lieutenants into the Army. The speaker was a Major General currently stationed in Korea. He had graduated from the University of Nevada, Reno 32 yrs ago. To see those one of those honorable men or women holding an umbrella for such a wimp is disgusting.

CW20 on May 16, 2013 at 11:15 PM

You my friend, are the Cliff Clavin of Hot Air.

hawkdriver on May 16, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Greatest burn on Hotair, ever, of all time.

PXCharon on May 16, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I have to get this off my chest:

To ALL of you that are serving or have served in any branch of service:

I woke up today with the freedom to go to work, speak my mind, worship the God of my choosing (or no God), travel where I wanted to, read what I wanted, etc… I could pack up and move to another city/state without anyone checking my papers. When elections come around, I can vote for who I want…heck I can even run for office if I so choose. Even with all of the crap that’s going on in this country, I’m a free man living in a free country.

This freedom I enjoy is not the result of my service to our country. I never served, but I’m so thankful for those that have and continue to serve to this day.

I’m embarrassed that our CIC asked men in uniform…Marines for God’s sake… to hold an umbrella for him. I’m a simple guy…I wouldn’t know the first thing about running a country. BUT, if it were raining and I had an umbrella, it would be MY extreme honor to hold an umbrella for any of you that have worn the uniform of this great country.

You have my unending respect, admiration and appreciation,
Mark

Tar Heel Sooner on May 16, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Well, he did tell the skies not to rain earlier in the day.

KarlE on May 17, 2013 at 12:08 AM

posted at 5:21 pm on May 16, 2013 by Allahpundit

Obama made those Marines violate their Marine Uniform Code.

He’s a Putz!

workingclass artist on May 17, 2013 at 12:14 AM

mark81150 on May 16, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Thank you for saying what you said. I was watching in real time and was incensed! How dare this son of a bitch order what he did?
I was reading earlier it is against regulations for a male Marine to even have an umbrella when in uniform.
What I read also stated even the president did not have the authority to order what he did.
Obama has no regard for our Country, our Constitution, or our Military.
Obama reminded me of the photos of Emperor Haile Selassie under the red velvet umbrella. Obama thinks he is some sort of emperor and I can’t wait until he is GONE

Delsa on May 17, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Tar Heel Sooner on May 16, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I believe he did that to degrade the uniform, and to flaunt his power

Obama is well aware of the cheap insult and performs his dog urinating on a tree act with predictable regularity

However Obama cannot degrade the uniform. It was bought and paid for with the blood of real men, far better men than he

entagor on May 17, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Obama made those Marines violate their Marine Uniform Code.

He’s a Putz!

workingclass artist on May 17, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I honestly believe that Barry thinks your ethical standards, the Marines’ Code and my conscience all are subject to being trumped by his superior moral enlightenment.

He has no respect for your personal or professional standards.

rwenger43 on May 17, 2013 at 1:10 AM

it’s a soldiers honor to serve their CiC

nonpartisan on May 16, 2013 at 6:02 PM

first, They are Marines, not soldiers.

Second, it is their duty not an honor.

Third…you s@ck.

Fighton03 on May 17, 2013 at 1:15 AM

hey genius, marines ARE soldiers

nonpartisan on May 16, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I suggest you try saying that to a Marine face to face….but let me get some popcorn first.

Fighton03 on May 17, 2013 at 1:19 AM

It’s official. Our president doesn’t have the sense to come in out of the rain.

kmarie on May 17, 2013 at 6:06 AM

PXCharon on May 16, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Thanks, but you should read more of Bishop’s comments. He is the King.

hawkdriver on May 17, 2013 at 6:18 AM

it’s a soldiers honor to serve their CiC

nonpartisan on May 16, 2013 at 6:02 PM

And actually, Sensei, it’s “CinC” not CiC. It being obama, you might have been thinking CoC.

hawkdriver on May 17, 2013 at 6:22 AM

A more perfect visual metaphor for Benghazi could not be scripted.

bobcalco on May 17, 2013 at 6:28 AM

President protected from every drizzle, the men who put their lives on the line — standing out in the rain.

bobcalco on May 17, 2013 at 6:29 AM

This is one of the most disgusting, repulsive pictures imaginable. It symbolizes something hideous, something awful that you know deep down in your gut.

If anything, Obama should be holding the umbrella for the Marine.

petefrt on May 17, 2013 at 6:33 AM

Obama isn’t fit to shine that Marine’s shoes. What a disgrace.

bitsy on May 17, 2013 at 7:04 AM

hey genius, marines ARE soldiers

nonpartisan on May 16, 2013 at 6:10 PM

It’s safe to say you aren’t. You are like a sea lamprey that sucks the lifeblood out of the host and them moves on.

It’s also safe to say no one in your family has served in the military. You come from a family that’s benefited from the freedoms and sacrifices bestowed to us but have done nothing to contribute.

However, you’ve done a good job in giving up these precious freedoms by bestowing your politically correct trash on all Americans… including those that have served and sacrificed.

People like you are why we have $17,000,000,000,000 in debt, obamacare, schools that can’t teach the next generations, religious fanactics running amok and a government that answers to no one and treats us like peasants and serfs.

Just a “marine is a soldier” you are liberal that is a scumbag wanker.

acyl72 on May 17, 2013 at 7:23 AM

I believe he did that to degrade the uniform, and to flaunt his power

entagor on May 17, 2013 at 12:58 AM

This angered me, but what really got my blood boiling was the applause and laughter when he said the Marines made him look good.

He made a joke out of them. They were entertainment.

dogsoldier on May 17, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Marine holding an umbrella that will bring tears to your eyes.

dbrhmccrtr on May 17, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Geeez! You’d think that a messiah that could command the seas , could control the water cycle better. Maybe he was concerned that his halo would tarnish?

Don L on May 17, 2013 at 8:42 AM

To make you feel better, anyone who visits the VIP digs in bad weather occasionally enjoys Marines or servants with umbrellas as they leave the vehicle.

BTW, I wonder whatever happened to the alleged Clinton administration goal to ban uniforms in the WH?

IlikedAUH2O on May 17, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I forget ar670-1 (the army uniform regs) but I think he placed them in an out of uniform position.
seems to me in dress blues/mess kit there is specific raingear to be worn.
I just don’t remember details.

dmacleo on May 17, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Thank you and your family for your service.

But from the shores of Tripoli, somebody in this clown’s Administration was too chicken to send the military to Benghazi, when our Ambassador was in mortal danger.

Dear Sorry Excuse for a President: Water is wet. Get used to it.

Steve Z on May 17, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Dress Blues.

Bmore on May 17, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I have my doubts about Obama doing this with the intention of humiliating or degrading anyone – for that to happen, Obama would have to care about how his actions affect someone else. I don’t think he does.

IMO, Obama didn’t think for a moment what it would look like, how it would be received, whether these Marines were permitted by regulation to hold an umbrella for him, etc.

I think all Obama thought was “I’m getting wet and I’d rather not.”

BD57 on May 17, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I don’t know the regs or the protocol, but the optics on this are terrible in and of itself. Plus, you can tell Erdogan was not comfortable with this, he kind of gives an embarrassed smile. And then the comments–”they’ll look good standing next to us” and “I don’t know if he has a change of clothes”… I’m not a fan of Erdogan but how condescending, like he just flew from Turkey with the clothes on his back… Also, did anybody else catch the smartest man in the room’s hesitation when he said “Prime, uhhhh PR– Uhhhh Prime Minister”? He didn’t know if he should have said Prime Minister or President! He caught the eye of someone in the crowd for validation and then continued on. How anyone can stand this arrogant fool is just beyond me.

Boudica on May 17, 2013 at 10:24 AM

As my mother used to say when people worried about getting rained on:
“Shit runs and sugar melts”

Badger40 on May 17, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Badger40 on May 17, 2013 at 10:32 AM

although the Marine would never say it … I will … why do you need an umbrella shit floats!

It’s official. Our president doesn’t have the sense to come in out of the rain.

kmarie on May 17, 2013 at 6:06 AM

LOL

hawkdriver in case I haven’t told you lately – Thank you for your service.

mark81150 on May 16, 2013 at 9:00 PM

thank you for your families service to this country.

conservative tarheel on May 17, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I think all Obama thought was “I’m getting wet and I’d rather not.”

BD57 on May 17, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I generally agree with you, but then Obama had the sense to think of what it would look like if he only asked for an umbrella for himself … he asked the Turkish PM if he wanted an umbrella first (and was probably disappointed when the PM said no thanks), then asked the Marines to hold umbrellas over both of them. I don’t think he thought about how it would affect anyone to see Marines holding the umbrellas though. Which to me is the real issue, lack of respect for the Marines in the first place, not even a thought about it went through his head apparently.

toby11 on May 17, 2013 at 12:40 PM

not even a thought about it went through his head apparently.

toby11 on May 17, 2013 at 12:40 PM

that seems to be an on going problem with this guy

conservative tarheel on May 17, 2013 at 1:12 PM

UK Daily Mail

President Obama humiliated the marine who he asked to hold his umbrella by making him ‘look like a butler’, a respected military general claimed today.

Thomas McInerney, a former United States Air Force Lieutenant General, said that the President showed a ‘lack of respect’ by making the soldier shelter him from a shower.

He also said that the President has plenty of aides so did not understand why one of them could not have held the umbrella.

-snip-

According to Marine Corps regulations, not even the President of the United States can request a Marine to carry an umbrella without the express permission of the Commandant of the Marine Corps.

The Marine Corp Manual, which is the bible for all soldiers serving, specifically states that a soldier’s uniform dress code does not allow the carrying of an umbrella and ‘no officer or official shall issue instructions which conflict with, alter, or amend any provision without the approval of the Commandant of the Marine Corps.’

Indeed, male Marines are informed never to carry an umbrella from the earliest phases of training.

Regulation MCO P1020.34F of the Marine Corps Uniform Regulations chapter 3, rules out any use or carrying of an umbrella while a Marine is in uniform.

Del Dolemonte on May 17, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Yes, yes, yes, I know the Obama administration is suffering against greater accusations, but…

…today I saw President Obama order two Marines to hold umbrellas for the Turkish prime minister and himself during a Rose Garden downpour.

I thought the Marines were there for security and honors. Most of the time we see them watchfully-with-their-backs-to-the-President as he gets off a plane. How are they ready to protect the President with one hand occupied with a bumbershoot?

Is this an appropriate use? Are they bodyguards or are they orderlies (manservants) to the President.

Limpet6 on May 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Limpet6 on May 17, 2013 at 3:14 PM,

They are there for ceremonial purposes only. They are unarmed. They are from Marine Barracks, 8th & I. I was stationed there in the ’70′s. So, they are not bodyguards. The USSS (Secret Service) are the bodyguards of the POTUS.

Also, I’m pretty sure that the Marines weren’t “carrying” the umbrella around, but having the Marines hold the umbrella in case of rain was probably standard operating procedure, otherwise why would the Marines be close-by with an umbrella. So I don’t think is was an example of disrespect to the Marines, but SOP. The Marine was probably jsut following the SOP. After all, the only personnel in the area would be the Marines and the USSS. They certainly wouldn’t have a USSS agent holding the umbrella.

Having said all that, the POTUS should have sucked it up and stood there in the rain, since he made all the reporters stand/sit in the rain prior to and during the press availability. Or, better yet, the event should have taken place indoors if rain was in the forecast. If this was Bush, he would have made a quick joke about him “not being smart enough to get out of the rain” and made short order of the press availability. Everyone would have had a laugh and be glad to get out of the rain.

Finally, as a former Marine and member of the Army National Guard, the ONLY time a Marine is called a “soldier” is when addressing a mixed group of Marines, soldiers, airmen, and sailors. “Soldier” is then understood to mean everyone in uniform. Just like the term “Guardsmen” is understood to mean both male and female members of the National Guard, not just the men. Both are generic terms.

GAlpha10 on May 17, 2013 at 4:18 PM

If someone is willing to die for my country and me …I am sure as heck not going to have him hold my umbrella.

CW on May 17, 2013 at 8:24 PM

First, the Marines at the White House are not just for “ceremonial purposes” only. They have operational duties that are not disclosed to the public. Second, every White House, has a office to deal with issues like this. This was really stupid.

flackcatcher on May 18, 2013 at 12:11 AM

He lies.

KCB on May 18, 2013 at 3:07 AM

Flackcatcher,

Some Marines may have operational duties, but as this Marines is an E-4 and is wearing “Blue-White’s” (meaning Blue Blouse and While trousers)’ which are only authorized for wear by the Marines at 8th & I, I’m guessing that he is there for ceremonial purposes. I don’t think you can classify holding the umbrella over the POTUS as “operational duties”.

But, yes, it does seem like a stupid use of a Marine. What the Military Assistant to the President should have immediately done is clarify if the Marine with the umbrella is “SOP” and end the discussion.

GAlpha10 on May 18, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Obama supporters have trotted out pics of Reagan and the two Bushs with military personnel shielding them with umbrellas.The leftists ask us where was our outrage then.The outrage toward Obama is that he is using the Marines to shield himself from rain,but wouldn’t send them to save our Ambassador and three other heroes in Benghazi!

redware on May 18, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Outrage trolls are outraged!

Mmm...Burritos on May 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM

And this represents something new? Obama has dissed the armed services at every turn throughout his tenure. Why stop now?

Oh, BTW. God in his infinite wisdom has also created something called a raincoat. And a hat.

Get over your pompous selves, guys.

UnrepentantCurmudgeon on May 19, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Dear Mr President…. stop…. Please, stop.

ActinUpinTexas on May 19, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Umbrella or not he’ll always be all wet. The legion of asininity a history of his “presidency” will entail will be unimaginable to those who read it in the future without living through it; they’ll never be able to believe he was actually was so infantile a narcissist as to actually do these things if they weren’t alive during them! Truth is SO much stranger than fiction!

russedav on September 23, 2014 at 7:31 PM