posted at 8:01 am on May 15, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday, Jay Carney held a news briefing in which he repeatedly claimed that the White House really has no idea what happens in executive branch agencies, which certainly stoked all sorts of confidence in Barack Obama’s executive abilities.  At one point, when asked about whether the Department of Justice might have seized records of other news organizations, Carney told the reporter posing the question that he’d have to ask someone at the DoJ.

NPR did just that with Attorney General Eric Holder, the top man at Justice.  And Holder says he can’t quite recall how many times he’s seized reporter phone records (via David Freddoso and Drudge on Twitter):

As his Justice Department faces bipartisan outrage for searching phone records of Associated Press reporters and editors, Attorney Gen. Eric Holder says he is not sure how many times such information has been seized by government investigators in the four years he’s led Justice.

During an interview with NPR’s Carrie Johnson on Tuesday, Holder was asked how often his department has obtained such records of journalists’ work.

“I’m not sure how many of those cases … I have actually signed off on,” Holder said. “I take them very seriously. I know that I have refused to sign a few [and] pushed a few back for modifications.”

Er … he’s refused to sign “a few” but isn’t sure how many he’s approved?  Presumably, the few modifications for which he “pushed” resulted in approval eventually.  That seems to strongly imply that this is a rather normal course of action at the Department of Justice — and for Holder. And note that Holder isn’t saying that he’s unclear about the operations within his executive purview, as Carney tried yesterday on Obama’s behalf — he’s unclear on how many times he himself has approved those seizures.

How legal is that?  Signatories to a letter from Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press to Holder argue that the DoJ broke the law in seizing the massive amount of records they did just in the current leak case:

Subpoenas of the news media for testimony and evidence are governed by theAttorney General’s guidelines found at 28 C.F.R. § 50.10 and incorporated into the U.S. Attorney’s Manual. See § 9-13.400. These guidelines were enacted in 1972 and were expanded specifically to cover telephone records in1980. They were developed to accommodate both the interests of the government in prosecuting crime and the First Amendment interests in reporting on issues of public concern. We know this to be true because theReporters Committee played a role in their promulgation. In this instance,where the Department subpoenaed two months of records related to 20telephone lines, including records from major AP bureaus and the home phone and cell phone records of individual journalists, the Department appears to have ignored or brushed aside almost every aspect of the guidelines. Each one merits specific review.

Narrow scope of the subpoena: Section 50.10(g)(1) requires that a subpoena “should be as narrowly drawn as possible; it should be directed at relevant information regarding a limited subject matter and should cover a reasonably limited time period.” The available evidence shows that no such constraints were applied here. Instead of being directed at relevant records on a limited topic for a closely circumscribed time period, the subpoena appears to have covered all records that could be relevant so that prosecutors could  plunder two months of newsgathering materials to seek information that might interest them.

Seeking information from alternative sources: Sections 50.10(b) and 50.10(g)(1) require the Department to take “all reasonable alternative investigative steps” before subpoenaing phone records. Although the public is not in a position to know what alternatives were pursued, the sheer breadth of this subpoena suggests that it was an initial investigative step taken as part of a prosecutor’s desire to gather up even the most remote materialwhen beginning an investigation.

Obligation to inform and negotiate: Section 50.10(d) requires federal prosecutors to disclose their intent to pursue a subpoena and negotiate with the news media in “all cases” involving telephone records. Only if prosecutors determine that such negotiationswould “pose a substantial threat to the integrity of the investigation” are these obligations removed. The purpose of such an exception is to ensure, in the rare inquiry where there is a reason to be concerned about the preservation of evidence, that records are not lost or destroyed. By deciding in this case involving one of the nation’s oldest and most respected news organizations that a subpoena would pose such a threat, the Department has severely harmed its working relationship with the news media, which time and time again have undertaken good-faith efforts to cooperate with government lawyers in a way that protects the public’s interest both in law enforcement and in independent and autonomous newsgathering.

And now Holder himself seems to admit that he has a pattern of seizing these records, rather than having the AP seizure be the exception to the rule.  Amazingly, Holder seems to think that his caveat of having refused to approve this kind of secret warrant and seizure “a few times” makes it look better.

Just imagine if this had happened during a Republican administration.  Will the media finally begin to shake off its ideological affinity for an administration that snoops through its records, or has the transformation to lapdog industry become irreversible?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

All Obama’s appointees doing the dastardly deeds of Obama..

Electrongod on May 15, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Just imagine if this had happened during a Republican administration.

I’m not sure how many times I’ve read that sentence in this past week but it must be in the hundreds.

Hard to see how the rat-eared passerby and those high up in his administration and campaign staff are going to shake all the dirt that is coming out. Maybe we should start a poll about which of the four scandals (I think we’re at four right now) is apt to be the biggest deal over the long run. I’m putting my money on the IRS because that is the one that is easiest for the low-informations to understand and hits closest to home for people living outside the beltway.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Q: Too many to count? So many you lost track?

A: Yes and yes.

farsighted on May 15, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Look. All you wingerz belong to me, and I’m going to do what I want with your phone records, blog posts and tax returns. You should be thanking me because I’m Eric Holder, bishes…
@TheJudgeHolder

ted c on May 15, 2013 at 8:08 AM

I’m guessing one of those times was not the bin Laden raid story.

BKeyser on May 15, 2013 at 8:08 AM

As long as spouses and family are employed at the White House and in various high level positions, there will be nothing done and this will be passed over. I really hope I’m wrong.

hip shot on May 15, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Just imagine if this had happened during a Republican administration.

Apparently it did…but everyone new it..no big secret..
But now…..

I guess ask for forgiveness later…if caught..
is the theme..

Electrongod on May 15, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Plausible Deniability…It’s what’s for Breakfast

workingclass artist on May 15, 2013 at 8:09 AM

A stroll through the WH garden and cocktails afterward will make journolists feel better. The invitations are already being sent out.

beatcanvas on May 15, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Did Goebels have any love children? This regime seems to have a lot of his spawn’s mindset.

acyl72 on May 15, 2013 at 8:09 AM

In a sane world the media would already be pressuring Obama and his cronies to resign.

In a sane world – Obama would have never been elected in the first place.

It’s going to take even more than all of this to take him down I’m afraid.

gophergirl on May 15, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Wake up LSM

cmsinaz on May 15, 2013 at 8:10 AM

answer to final question: doubtful.
if they do that, wouldnt the next logical quesiton be: why are we just finding out about all this now? this isn’t new. this has been going on for 5 years. and the answer to that, they dont want anyone to hear.

t8stlikchkn on May 15, 2013 at 8:10 AM

wanton disregard

these guys don’t care what you think and they are daring you to do something about it. The end state is that you are outraged. That is their goal. To push you past the tipping point. They know you want answers and information and you’ll be outraged if you don’t get it. They know you love your rights and so they’ll trample them in front of your face and smirk with a “Do something about it” look on theirs.

it’s the truth. they are trying to light a fire. They have no conscience.

ted c on May 15, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I simply refuse to believe that DOJ did not tell the White House about this before hand.
Carney claims no knowledge. I claim BS !

As a matter of course, DOJ should have informed Obama. That would be expected.

Jabberwock on May 15, 2013 at 8:11 AM

All Obama’s appointees doing the dastardly deeds of Obama..

Electrongod on May 15, 2013 at 8:03 AM

I keep waiting for somebody to come clean and admit that this past 4.5 years was all an elaborate scheme Mortimer and Randolph Duke set up to test their theories about environment versus heredity.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Ed, I live in Spain at the moment. My head is spinning…I´ve lost track of the ¨Gates¨. In the past, whenever somebody asked me am I from ¨Estados Unidos¨, I proudly said YES!. Until this is sorted out, I´m thinking of just telling them ¨Canadá¨- then I can maybe enjoy my cerveza in peace. I AM now sending out for more popcorn.

james hooker on May 15, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I guess reporters won’t have to worry about protecting their sources anymore. And forget doctor/patient confidentiality when medical records go online. Next they’ll figure out a way to record a priest and parishoner in the confessional.

iamsaved on May 15, 2013 at 8:12 AM

No. The MSM found some lipstick on Comrade O’s collar and they are demanding an explanation.

or has the transformation to lapdog industry become irreversible?

Yes. They will accept whatever “innocent” and “legitimate” explanation is eventually given, because they want to believe it and do not want a divorce. If for no other reason than it is what is best for the children American people.

farsighted on May 15, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I’m not sure.

What difference does it make.

go ask DOJ.

Someone in the WH

can you see the spin?
These are men in need of consequences, harsh ones.

You pussies in Congress had better reread your Article I.

ted c on May 15, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Holder: “I’m not sure” how many times I’ve approved seizing reporter phone records”

That many huh?
Gee, I can’t recall.

bazil9 on May 15, 2013 at 8:13 AM

ot: morning joe not taking any of axelrod’s crap he is spewing

holy cow….

cmsinaz on May 15, 2013 at 8:13 AM

All the president’s men ball washers…

ted c on May 15, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Holder can’t recall eh,he must of went to the,

I Can’t ReCall School of Hillary,from the MonicaGate
Era!!

canopfor on May 15, 2013 at 8:14 AM

As long as the DOJ only taps AP phones & records, it’s okay with us.

/lap dog media

VibrioCocci on May 15, 2013 at 8:14 AM

When is “enough is enough?” Or do all of them still get a free pass on all of this cuz of affirmative action or something?

At what point does this end?

Kinda of ironic…those who were part of getting Obama elected, historic president and Light Giver and all that…find themselves the target of the regime.

And…by the way…just want to give a shout out to the DoJ officials who are reading Hot Air…Hi, Guys!…because we all know Hot Air is one of those kind of groups.

coldwarrior on May 15, 2013 at 8:14 AM

The AP was complicit in their own demise, something sweet about that in a snarky way.

hillsoftx on May 15, 2013 at 8:15 AM

ot: morning joe not taking any of axelrod’s crap he is spewing

cmsinaz on May 15, 2013 at 8:13 AM

You watch Joe? That’s embarrassing…

beatcanvas on May 15, 2013 at 8:15 AM

This post has been brought to you by Government Bell – We can hear you now.

Steve Eggleston on May 15, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Libfreeordouche should be along any minute now to tell us all how racist we are.

SHARPTOOTH on May 15, 2013 at 8:15 AM

and the crap that alberto got during W’s term…jeez louise…

cmsinaz on May 15, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Why would DoJ want to wiretap a news outlet in the first place, unless there’s evidence of probable contact with terror organizations? Are liberals perfectly okay with government wiretapping anyone just for the sh*ts and giggles of it?

I would have a serious problem if Holder were wiretapping MSNBC, and everyone knows what I think of them.

This, “I don’t recall,” is a load of trash, and I would resent it under any president. I’d also like knowing names of the judges who signed off, too.

If DoJ doesn’t need a judge’s approval, then DoJ has far too much power I would regard as unconstitutional.

Liam on May 15, 2013 at 8:16 AM

beatcanvas on May 15, 2013 at 8:15 AM

so you dont’ have to…

cmsinaz on May 15, 2013 at 8:16 AM

coldwarrior on May 15, 2013 at 8:14 AM

GMTA :)

hillsoftx on May 15, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Bambi has already said this is an outrage, so it’s all over now. Why is anyone still talking about this?

Yes, Assad left Syria voluntarily, Iran renounced their nuclear program and is destroying their centrifuges, and IRS agents from Cincinnati are planting roses in the White House rose garden.

NeighborhoodCatLady on May 15, 2013 at 8:16 AM

You watch Joe? That’s embarrassing…

beatcanvas on May 15, 2013 at 8:15 AM

You know, if “conservatives” stopped watching Joe, his ratings would be worse than CNN’s.

Steve Eggleston on May 15, 2013 at 8:16 AM

If I were the other major news organizations, after hearing Holder’s comment, I’d be thinking “How many times and with whom?” and would be filing that FOIA request, if only to see if my own company’s phones and computers were tapped by Justice (he11, if I were Fox News, I would have had the FOIA on that one filed yesterday based on the IRS-Tea Party reports alone).

Of course, some still won’t see any problem with this, because it is the Obama Justice Department, and I’m only surprised the New York Times isn’t out with an editorial today chastising the Associated Press for complaining about the widespread spying, and saying the AP should be on it’s knees thanking Eric Holder for being blessed with having their privacy invaded by the greatest administration in the history of America.

jon1979 on May 15, 2013 at 8:17 AM

In a sane world – Obama would have never been elected in the first place.

It’s going to take even more than all of this to take him down I’m afraid.

gophergirl on May 15, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Your comment sounds like the lead-in to a movie trailer. ;0

I’ve got to think the rat-eared passerby is getting it from all directions this morning. The media, Congress, and Mooch demanding to know if this is going to mess with the plans for Martha’s Vineyard or her super-posh 50th birthday party.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Probably about the same number of dead in Mexico?

Gatsu on May 15, 2013 at 8:17 AM

The brightest idiots that we have.

Delay, spin, redirect and maneuver.

It’s a surprise that, with all the misdirection, that they haven’t eventually stumbled upon a jobs plan just by pure accident.

ted c on May 15, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I’ll lay odds that the NYT never was a subject of a Holder records-snatch.

Steve Eggleston on May 15, 2013 at 8:18 AM

iamsaved on May 15, 2013 at 8:12 AM

The back door for gun grabbing.
Bite me said they aren’t done yet..
A 4th or half of people would loose 2nd amendment rights if they suceed with extended BG checks into med history.
They will use the IRS and med records.
Agenda.
Oh..you didn’t purchase O care, huh..
lets look into a few things.

IRS,HHS,DOL..3 agencies in control and playing together.

bazil9 on May 15, 2013 at 8:18 AM

After being so disgusted after the election, I couldn’t even read Hot Air or watch any news. Ok, that’s over and I’ve been fascinated this past week. Scandal after scandal. Finally some vindication for stuff we’ve yelled about for months! And some stuff we had no idea about. Cool! But now I’m wondering, why are these hitting all at once? Who is running the show? Is Obama suddenly useless to someone? Gas jumped up 5 cents over night. Should we expect that trend to continue?
Is anyone else wondering about this? Coincidence doesn’t quit cut it. The timing of all this is just weird.

tj4osu on May 15, 2013 at 8:19 AM

What good are you, Eric?

Don’t know nothin’, don’t do nothin’. When somethin’ happens, then a flunkie gets it in the neck. I bet everybody knows what’s up on payday though, right?

ted c on May 15, 2013 at 8:20 AM

How will the media resolve this?
Look for a whole bunch of magazines with Michelle on the front cover…and exclusive interviews.

albill on May 15, 2013 at 8:20 AM

All the president’s men ball washers…

ted c on May 15, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Operation Deep Throat?

Electrongod on May 15, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Gatsu on May 15, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Been covered…The One sort of gave an non-apologetic apology to Mexico last week…so…that one is all done, history…old news…dust bin of history and all that.

Greater men have been indicted and convicted for doing far lesser things…simply because they were not Leftists/Dems/Progressives.

coldwarrior on May 15, 2013 at 8:21 AM

It’s not illegal when the president AG does it…..

ted c on May 15, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I’ll lay odds that the NYT never was a subject of a Holder records-snatch.

Steve Eggleston on May 15, 2013 at 8:18 AM

She got a name?

coldwarrior on May 15, 2013 at 8:22 AM

the only way that this epic week can end is with a high quality lavish vacation so somebody can put their feet up.

ted c on May 15, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Didn’t the CIA say that there is another shoe to drop?

I wonder if it is going to come out that Scooter was running guns to the Libyan rebels (i.e., Muslim Brotherhood).

The deal could have been brokered during their visits to OUR House.

Regard these 3 scandals…and the 4th one to come…

I believe that in all instances, the buck stops with the President of the United States.

Even if he does not want it to.

kingsjester on May 15, 2013 at 8:22 AM

It’s not illegal when the president AG does it…..

ted c on May 15, 2013 at 8:21 AM

RFK would have agreed.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2013 at 8:23 AM

And this is the reason our elected officials should not overstep the constitution to protect us from terrorism. When you get an enemy administration in power, like the current one, the bigger threat comes from the abuse of power that’s been given to them.

iamsaved on May 15, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I do believe, in light of everything that is going on this week, that it is now high time someone in Congress officially declare what the rest of us already know.

Namely, these are impeachable offenses and it is now long overdue that the process of enacting the impeachment proceedings should now officially commence.

This administration has proven it is corrupt to the core, and it is now time that it answer for what it has done.

Obama has betrayed the integrity of his office, and the trust of the American people.

Congress, start the process of impeachment now!

pilamaye on May 15, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Now both CNN and ABC have joined conservative media in calling for the White House to release all the emails surrounding the editing of the CIA talking points.

HotAir is going to have to go to a 3 or 4 column format on the front page just to keep up with the nukes, breaking news and hourly scandal updates…./

ted c on May 15, 2013 at 8:24 AM

ot: morning joe not taking any of axelrod’s crap he is spewing

holy cow….

cmsinaz on May 15, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Again, thanks for listening and reporting.

esr1951 on May 15, 2013 at 8:26 AM

And the folks are perfectly fine with “gubmint” handling all of our medical records, making sure all are provided with medical care…all non-biased, totally fair…no special considerations…

Taking bets Obamacare goes beyond simple death panels…

coldwarrior on May 15, 2013 at 8:26 AM

:) esr

cmsinaz on May 15, 2013 at 8:29 AM

kingsjester on May 15, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Huma Mahmood Abedin American deputy chief of staff and aide to former SOS- Killery.
Her MBH ties may have played a hand.

Waiting for that shoe.

bazil9 on May 15, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Jeepers, look at the smouldering ill will from Dems toward Obama in this Politico article:
D.C. turns on Obama

Obama’s aloof mien and holier-than-thou rhetoric have left him with little reservoir of good will, even among Democrats.

This White House’s instinctive petulance, arrogance and defensiveness have all worked to isolate Obama at a time when he most needs a support system.

They apparently see in him many of the same personality disorders that we do.

petefrt on May 15, 2013 at 8:30 AM

He’s had no consequences attached to his other abuses of power, of which many people have died in their wake(F&F)….why be concerned now?

He doesn’t seem at all worried.

Alinsky on May 15, 2013 at 8:30 AM

we joke about FEMA camps, but its looking more and more plausible everyday!

ted c on May 15, 2013 at 8:31 AM

pilamaye on May 15, 2013 at 8:24 AM

This needs repeating. Others are just now waking up to what we have been screaming all along. These recent scandals are still part of the larger picture of an administration that has been lawless right from the beginning. Remember when Obama threatened the AIG Retention bonus receivers? Remember when Obama overthrew 100 years of bankruptcy laws? Remember when Nina Easton reported the mob action next door at the home of an BOA executive, because the Obama administration does not like bankers?

esr1951 on May 15, 2013 at 8:31 AM

cmsinaz on May 15, 2013 at 8:29 AM

:) back at ya’.

esr1951 on May 15, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Wake up LSM

cmsinaz on May 15, 2013 at 8:10 AM

They’re all still hung-over from the Friday news dump cminaz. The spinning “is really hard work”. Axelrod just said the AP wiretapping was justified because “people” were calling for an end to security leaks. How’s that for spin?

Rovin on May 15, 2013 at 8:32 AM

So either the President is lying about knowing what is happening in his own administration, or is ignorant and has an administration that is doing whatever it pleases.

The DoJ’s behavior is anything but surprising. This is the same department that refused to prosecute the New Black Panthers and made it clear they wouldn’t prosecute any minority criminals. There isn’t much of a stretch to suggest that they would leverage their reach to look into any and all organizations under the guise of “national security.”

Funny how not only has legislation such as the Patriot Act not gotten torn down by this administration but we have seen additional privacy and laws put into place that strip Americans of rights under national security. Suddenly, all the anti-war moonbats turn their heads to ignore the very subjects they cried out against.

And exactly where was Holder and the rest of the career DoJ individuals when the NYT leaked classified information not once but TWICE under the Bush Administration which actually did compromise national security. Anyone remember wiretaps and bank account seizures? Let’s just broadcast to the jihadists out there what we’re doing to make their lives more difficult and much shorter.

The President said the FISA program was illegal, but I guess he doesn’t have any issue with the DoJ snooping around the phone records of Americans not connected at all with terrorism.

Flashwing on May 15, 2013 at 8:33 AM

The purpose of such an exception is to ensure, in the rare inquiry where there is a reason to be concerned about the preservation of evidence, that records are not lost or destroyed. By deciding in this case involving one of the nation’s oldest and most respected news organizations that a subpoena would pose such a threat, the Department has severely harmed its working relationship with the news media, which time and time again have undertaken good-faith efforts to cooperate with government lawyers in a way that protects the public’s interest both in law enforcement and in independent and autonomous newsgathering.

AP is respected only by people who are ignorant of how they operate. It is very revealing that the same media which covered for Obama on Benghazi and Fast & Furious (and a myriad of other issues) is only exercising some independence and signs of professionalism now that its own ox is being gored.

Basilsbest on May 15, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I’ll lay odds that the NYT never was a subject of a Holder records-snatch.

Steve Eggleston on May 15, 2013 at 8:18 AM

What type of odds?

JohnGalt23 on May 15, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I wonder if Obama will still be the Mushroom King by the end of today?

txhsmom on May 15, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Obama’s 2012 campaign likely had direct involvement in illegally receiving and publishing confidential IRS Tax documents…

“One of President Barack Obama’s re-election campaign co-chairmen used a leaked document from the IRS to attack GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney during the 2012 election, according to the National Organization for Marriage (NOM)…”

BOOM!

workingclass artist on May 15, 2013 at 8:40 AM

“To the extent that we have determined that actors in government have gone beyond what they were supposed to do, broken regulations, broken rules, broken the law, we have prosecuted people, we have held people accountable,” Holder said in response.

Yes, and don’t forget that Hillary has held her department accountable too, right?

And, “I know nothing about these scandals” Obama is too busy fundraising and Republicans are wrong for making these scandals “political”.

Rovin on May 15, 2013 at 8:40 AM

He doesn’t seem at all worried.

Alinsky on May 15, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I think you’re just looking at the part of the duck above the surface if you think that. The rat-eared passerby is very thin skinned and he is legacy-minded. This leaves marks on both counts.

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Just imagine if this had happened during a Republican administration. Will the media finally begin to shake off its ideological affinity for an administration that snoops through its records, or has the transformation to lapdog industry become irreversible?

I think the worm has turned. All was forgiven as long as the were going after someone else, but now it’s personal.

Not that I trust the media one iota, and I never will. I’m no stupid liberal.

Naturally Curly on May 15, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I don’t understand why the WH would be searching those phone records anyway. It doesn’t make any sense. Most of the WH staff is married to members of the LSM.

PackerBronco on May 15, 2013 at 8:41 AM

The White House will continue with it’s ” We didn’t know” line.

Remember, it is always better to appear stupid than to open your mouth and prove it.

Jabberwock on May 15, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Waiting for that shoe.

bazil9 on May 15, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I worte about her a while back.

I have never been able to understand why she has been given top secret clearance with famililial ties to the Godfather of Muslim Terrorist Groups.

“It don’t make no sense.”

kingsjester on May 15, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Naturally Curly on May 15, 2013 at 8:40 AM

True that. The WH can lie to congress because that’s just “political”. But don’t lie to the press.

PackerBronco on May 15, 2013 at 8:42 AM

ted c on May 15, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Spot on.I think they are testing how much they own the media.When the media gives in,which I think they will,then it’s full speed ahead to wreckage.

docflash on May 15, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Congress, start the process of impeachment now!

pilamaye on May 15, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I have in the past called for Impeachment because I believed it was the only way to get the facts before the American people. Now that the media is showing a modicum of independence and competence the truth about this disastrous presidency is starting to emerge. Impeachment now would be a mistake and would be a call to arms for Obama’s Scandal Condom aka the MSM. Let’s let more fact emerge.

Basilsbest on May 15, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Yepper Rovin

cmsinaz on May 15, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Honduras.
Fast and Furious.
Libya intervention (without congressional approval).
Benghazi.
IRS.
DOJ AP
EPA
Sebelius
Seal Teams Down
Rules of Engagement.

Spit double spit

can_con on May 15, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Hmmmmm….

“Attorney General Eric Holder last year appointed Machen and U.S. Attorney Rod Rosenstein to investigate a series of leaks to news outlets dealing with sensitive information concerning the U.S. government’s counter-terrorism and foreign policies.

After conducting more than 550 interviews, the two attorneys subpoenaed the phone records for 20 AP employees, raising a furor on Capitol Hill about whether the department overstepped its legal bounds.

Cummings said the case was unusual and pointed to Holder’s comments earlier in the day in which the nation’s top cop explained the severity of the national security leaks that his department is investigating.

“This was a very serious leak. A very, very serious leak,” Holder said at a press conference. “It put the American people at risk, and that is not hyperbole. It put the American people at risk.”

Cummings also said that a grand jury and a judge had signed off on the subpoenas for the AP’s phone records, which Deputy Attorney General James Cole authorized.

“The thing that causes me to say, ‘let’s wait and see for a moment,’ is that these were grand jury subpoenas and they were overseen by a judge, so that’s a check on that,” said Cummings.

“We have to wait and try to figure out exactly what this is all about.”

It has previously not been known whether a grand jury and judge signed off on the subpoenas and a request for comment to the DOJ was not immediately returned…”

Read more: http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/299785-top-house-dem-wants-more-information-on-life-or-death-case#ixzz2TMhLndj5
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

workingclass artist on May 15, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Happy Nomad on May 15, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I certainly don’t want to be right. That said, these people are from the “Ends Justify the Means” philosophy, I don’t think they care in the end what we think, they only care that their power will increase. If you can do all they do and not suffer anything other than tongue lashings, well, that’s a small price to pay to wield the power of a dictator in the most powerful country the world has ever known…

Alinsky on May 15, 2013 at 8:50 AM

+1 packerbronco @8:41

cmsinaz on May 15, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Basilsbest on May 15, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Nothing that money, favors and privilege can’t buy off — at the public expense.
Chicago, baby. Forward.

Kenosha Kid on May 15, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Like that dude’s article said, these are cats chasing laser dots around the room.

Has there ever been a more complete set of total fools controlling the highest levels of government.

Bishop on May 15, 2013 at 8:58 AM

docflash on May 15, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I agree. I wonder how many more hours they’ll hold his feet to the fire before declaring his penance stoically completed, his lessons clearly learned and that nothing more is to be gained from the “political rehashing” of these “old” news stories…

ROCnPhilly on May 15, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I wonder if Obama will still be the Mushroom King by the end of today?

txhsmom on May 15, 2013 at 8:35 AM

WTH is that?

Bishop on May 15, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Ah, journalism at it’s finest:

Question “how often
Answer: not sure “how many

can_con on May 15, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Bishop on May 15, 2013 at 8:58 AM

rsherwd65 on May 15, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Er … he’s refused to sign “a few” but isn’t sure how many he’s approved? Presumably, the few modifications for which he “pushed” resulted in approval eventually. That seems to strongly imply that this is a rather normal course of action at the Department of Justice — and for Holder.

Let’s analyze this….

As I recall, one line of defense the admin is using is that they’ve prosecuted more leakers of classified info than all the previous admins combined. Not sure if that’s true, but if it is, how are they managing that? Given the ineptitude they’ve shown in virtually every other area of governance, how could this be?

There is only one way. The press would have to be cooperating with the investigations. I would submit that it’s the press instigating the leak investigations themselves, and handing all the evidence required for prosecution and conviction to the DOJ (but only when a leaker has info about an obama screwup, which explains the record number of prosecutions….it adds up nicely).

Which means the press has been rolling over on their own sources, to a record level.

Back to the quoted section of text above. Given what must be the reality admitted to, why would the obama admin think the press would be upset about him going through their records and potentially compromising sources? THEY’VE been compromising their sources on his behalf for years!

So of course this would be a normal course of action for holder. The only surprise is that the press would be surprised by it.

runawayyyy on May 15, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Hmm. The ignorance is going ‘viral’.

socalcon on May 15, 2013 at 9:15 AM

interesting post, coming from a former supporter of warrantless surveillance.

sesquipedalian on May 15, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I’ll lay odds that the NYT never was a subject of a Holder records-snatch.

Steve Eggleston on May 15, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I find myself thinking maybe the Romney 2012 campaign was on the list.

slickwillie2001 on May 15, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Holder and the DoJ should certainly burn for this illegal and startling action. It is the action of a repressive government dedicated to stifling free debate and an open society. It is more akin to action of the secret police, than a Department of “Justice”.

That being said, the media can go to hell. They’ve protected this president and his administration from honest, open debate and truthful reporting at all costs. In the process of subjugating and obscuring facts or destroying rightful opposition, they’ve become willing anti-democratic acolytes. More than anything, this proves their masters dominion over them.

Marcus Traianus on May 15, 2013 at 9:28 AM

tj4osu on May 15, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Try this one on – Bill Clinton arranged for it as payback for the Obama thug administration throwing Hillary under the bus.

Amjean on May 15, 2013 at 9:29 AM

interesting post, coming from a former supporter of warrantless surveillance.

sesquipedalian on May 15, 2013 at 9:15 AM

So then, you’re ok with all this? Interesting response, considering you’re accusing the writer of hypocrisy.

Of course you may not be ok with all this. But I haven’t seen you protest it either. Just the response from a conservative. Truly interesting.

runawayyyy on May 15, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Did Republicans in Congress who are now exploiting the situation to
score political points oppose the media shield law that likely would
have protected the Associated Press in this situation?

Better question: why does an Administration that supposedly supports a media shield law go after reporters ? … they didn’t even support DOMA in appeals court when they thought it was bad. Wouldn’t they acquiesce to a law they were trying to pass, like the way they did with the DREAM Act ?
Their acts say that they don’t support a shield law.

J_Crater on May 15, 2013 at 9:41 AM