Holder: I can’t remember when I recused myself from the AP investigation, and I know I didn’t do it in writing

posted at 2:41 pm on May 15, 2013 by Allahpundit

Sounds legit.

Twitter is blowing up over this right now. Stand by for updates.

Update: Gabe Malor asks an excellent question:

Did Holder just sort of … “drift away” from this whole mess after his recusal? Remember, this was no ordinary investigation. Yesterday Holder himself called the leak in the AP case one of the most serious, if not the most serious, he’d ever seen. He must have recognized instantly that there was a chance that reporters’ phone records would be subpoenaed to get to the bottom of it, which would be politically explosive for the White House. And yet he never formally notified anyone that he was backing away, huh? At this point, Obama should fire him even if he’s telling the truth.

Update: Holder says he had to recuse himself because he was a “fact witness”:

The attorney general recused himself because he was interviewed as a “fact witness” — “a possessor of the information that was ultimately leaked” — meaning that he could theoretically have leaked the information about the thwarted terrorist attack that was the subject of the AP report.

If they were looking at Holder as a potential leaker, the leak must have come from very high up. That jibes with Holder’s rhetoric about the seriousness of the situation; they must be looking at someone at or near the cabinet level, potentially, as the AP’s source.

Wouldn’t the AG be a potential “fact witness” in lots of leak cases, though, given the sensitive info he’s privy to? Why recuse himself in this particular case?

Update: Dave Weigel points to this DOJ press release last summer in which Holder announced he was assigning attorneys to lead the leak investigation. That would have been the moment to announce his recusal, but there’s nothing in there about that.

Obvious question: Did he refuse to recuse himself publicly from an explosive national-security investigation because that would have made for particularly bad headlines five months before the election?

Update: More good news from CNS: Holder’s not 100 percent sure which deputy AG actually authorized the AP subpoenas. Simply amazing.

Update: C’mon.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Oh man, this is delicious…

JohnGalt23 on May 15, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Oo

steebo77 on May 15, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Capos of Obama – no one believes a word from this admin. any more, unless they are obtuse idiots.

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Another damn lie from this administration. How Chicago of him.

meci on May 15, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I bet he doesn’t do anything in writing. This is going to be soooooo helpful.

Cindy Munford on May 15, 2013 at 2:44 PM

So he recused himself in his head then. Alrighty.

I wonder if in the future one can simply recuse and unrecuse oneself mentally on a moment by moment basis, depending on what thoughts and issues are being presented. Then, if ever investigated, you could simply explain that at all the moments you felt compromised you were actually mentally recused, so nothing to worry about.

SoRight on May 15, 2013 at 2:44 PM

the left foot doesn’t know what the right hand is doing…this is all looking like a Keystone Kops routine…

RedInMD on May 15, 2013 at 2:45 PM

ಠ_ಠ

FontanaConservative on May 15, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Trying to retain some sense of decorum in all this, but does the phrase “lying S.O.S.” come to mind for anyone else?

IndieDogg on May 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Translation: I’m making this up as I go along…

workingclass artist on May 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM

WOW.

So, does he have witnesses who will swear under oath they heard him do it? LOL.

farsighted on May 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Keystone cops

cmsinaz on May 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Holder – “I’m Black so you can’t fire me”

Obama – “What he said”

workingclass artist on May 15, 2013 at 2:47 PM

This sounds like a thief saying:

“well, I mean yeah I stole stuff, but I gave it all back, and I did the subsequent jail time for it already, soooo see you all later.”

Gatsu on May 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM

You know, I paid my taxes, but I didn’t do it in writing and I don’t remember when I did it.

How’s that?

beatcanvas on May 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM

*passes popcorn bowel *

cmsinaz on May 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Like watching an episode of “The Following.” Obama’s disciples and “followers” are just disposable rogues.

Tripwhipper on May 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Bowl

cmsinaz on May 15, 2013 at 2:49 PM

His intentions were noble and that’s the main thing. So what, if he forgot to document the effort?

a capella on May 15, 2013 at 2:49 PM

AG Holder says he did not inform WH he recused himself in @AP case, did not do so in writing and cannot say when he did so.

Maybe it’s just me and I’m one of the dumb peon masses, but if he recused himself, wouldn’t there be some sort of record of it?

Doughboy on May 15, 2013 at 2:49 PM

If I had a son he’d sound just like Eric Holder – Obama

workingclass artist on May 15, 2013 at 2:49 PM

IndieDogg on May 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM

51% voted to stay the course. 51% prefer being lied to and deceived. They, along with those who stayed home last November, can burn for all I care.

RedInMD on May 15, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Apparently Holder’s spoken word was good enough for Cole.

That’s how they do things in Justice, on the honor system. Cuts down on the paper work.

farsighted on May 15, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I’m almost…. almost… to the point where I’m starting to feel sorry for them…. NOT!

brewcrew67 on May 15, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Going for the Sergeant Schultz defense I see.

rbj on May 15, 2013 at 2:51 PM

At this point, Obama should fire him even if he’s telling the truth.

What happens when Obama does NOT fire him?

canditaylor68 on May 15, 2013 at 2:53 PM

It was a double-secret recusal.

tpitman on May 15, 2013 at 2:53 PM

What a lying azz POS. wow wow wow.

dogsoldier on May 15, 2013 at 2:53 PM

*passes popcorn bowel *

cmsinaz on May 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM

No thanks.

Bowl

cmsinaz on May 15, 2013 at 2:49 PM

lol

Midas on May 15, 2013 at 2:54 PM

What happens when Obama does NOT fire him?

canditaylor68 on May 15, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Issa MUST impeach Holder, if Zero doesn’t can him. The man is an utter disgrace, but then, so is his boss.

dogsoldier on May 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM

• OMG! Issa’s a pitbull. Asks if the Deputy AG Holder wants to assign to the AP case can be trusted since he’s the same person who failed to hold Holder accountable during the Contempt of Congress case against him.

Can’t remember his name.
**************
Oooooooo. Issa going after Holder and Sheila Jackson Lee trying to filibuster and prevent Issa from continuing his line of questioning about the justice department trading cases to prevent some from appearing before the supreme court and keeping the US taxpayer from gaining a $180 million settlement.

Issa plays tape of Deputy AG Perez.
************************************
Hahahaha. Issa having the committee chair read rules of questioning to Holder.

wyntre9 on May 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM

The most dangerous job in America???

Any “Low Level Staffer” in any Obama government department.

dirtseller on May 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Dang android Midas

cmsinaz on May 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM

If there’s no written record of recusal, who told DAG Cole that he was running the AP investigation? — Gabriel Malor

ROTFL.

It appears there is also a culture of corruption throwing sh!t against the wall to see what sticks in this administration, too.

I wonder who might have brought that petri dish to tend?

Dusty on May 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Allah!

Don’t believe him!

He’s still investigating you! Personally!

Look outside! Behind the mailbox! It’s Holder!

budfox on May 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Tripwhipper on May 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM

You watched that show too?

Yup, they were at nice bunch….only thing worse was
the utter ineptitude of the FBI…

ToddPA on May 15, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Some underling in the DOJ office in Guam ?

burrata on May 15, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Charlatanic thugs run the land.

Holder, Sibelius and Napolitano are the capos of thug Obama.

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2013 at 2:56 PM

So says the only AG ever cited for Contempt of Congress…color me not surprised.

hillsoftx on May 15, 2013 at 2:56 PM

IF it wasn’t in writing, he didn’t do it. This is not a kids game where one may simply yell “King’s X” or “Time Out” or “Safe”. This is the federal government and just as this administration insists that regulations must be followed by all and sundry, so rules of conduct, and procedure, must be observed, and duly sworn and attested oath’s of office must be observed and executed.

Eric Holder is the Attorney General of the United States and, as such, he is a public servant. He is duly sworn to execute all the duties of the office, upholding the law impartially and equitably, without prejudice or bias, in a manner that is effective and efficient, following procedure and protocol to the letter.

Eric Holder has shirked his duty, making a mockery of the office he holds, and failed miserably to perform his duties effectively or efficiently. He has made of himself… an amoral functionary.

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2013 at 2:56 PM

The problem is that none of the congresscritters will ask Mr. Malor’s question. People who control our lives aren’t very quick on the uptake.

Cindy Munford on May 15, 2013 at 2:57 PM

You conservatives are being setup yet again. This AP story is going to turn into a win for Obama. It has already replaced the Benghazi story.

Total political setup.

ClassicCon on May 15, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Indeed, and why does BO exert Executive Privilege over F and F.

Smoke, fire, incinerated.

herm2416 on May 15, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Translation – “I verbally ‘recused’ myself from the investigation I verbally ordered on verbal orders from the campaign when y’all learned that we were targeting our own presstitute organs.”

Steve Eggleston on May 15, 2013 at 2:57 PM

So, who had “Not in Writing” in the #scandaldraft ?

JohnGalt23 on May 15, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Sounds like a rogue deputy attorney at the DOJ…

“I’m trying to find out who authorized the subpoena,” Rep. Sensenbrenner said. “You can’t tell me if Deputy Attorney General Cole authorized the subpoena. Somebody had to authorize the subpoena because the code of federal regulations is pretty specific that this is supposed to go as close to the top as possible.”

“No, what I’m saying is that I can’t say as a matter of fact,” said Holder. “I have to assume, I say I would probably 95%, 99% certain the deputy attorney general acting in my stead was the one who authorizes the subpoena.”

A little bit later, Holder said, “Let me say this: I’ve been given a note we have confirmed that the deputy was the one who authorized the subpoena.”

workingclass artist on May 15, 2013 at 2:58 PM

*passes popcorn bowel *

cmsinaz on May 15, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Yeah, um , thanks, but no thanks :)

antipc on May 15, 2013 at 2:58 PM

So, who had “Not in Writing” in the #scandaldraft ?

JohnGalt23 on May 15, 2013 at 2:58 PM

And if nobody, I’m picking him up as an unrestricted free agent…

JohnGalt23 on May 15, 2013 at 2:58 PM

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2013 at 2:56 PM

This is way too mild. Holder is the thug who executes the Charlatan in Chief’s Utopian tyrannical dreams.

Holder s/b in prison.

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I’ve been watching it. Why didn’t HA link the livestream?

It’s been crazy. The kindergarten court(literally) a dem had his grand kid whining on his lap while he raved up holder for his 5 minutes. And sheila jackson dizzy had a melt down over a voice recording Issa played . Holder mumbled a bunch under his breath and told Issa he was being inappropriate…

Epic hearing.

BoxHead1 on May 15, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Going for the Sergeant Schultz defense I see.

rbj on May 15, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I think it’s time to rename the Democratic Party as the Know Nothing Party.

midgeorgian on May 15, 2013 at 2:59 PM

What happens when Obama does NOT fire him?

canditaylor68 on May 15, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Barry won’t fire him.

Holder is Barry’s Cheney.

Holder won’t step down until post mid-terms.

If the Dems get buried again, Holder will bail because it will be a waste of his time to hang around.

budfox on May 15, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Going into news junkie OD shock now. Scandals keep breaking faster and furiouser.

So, which ones are squirrels, and which are real? I can’t tell anymore. Maybe that’s the plan???

Lucky Pierre on May 15, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Dang android Midas

cmsinaz on May 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Hehe, understood. Was initially concerned; “call 911 – we need a proctologist in here, stat!”

Midas on May 15, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Further Holder – “We’re assigning the IRS to the investigation of our investigation. It’s only fair because we’re investigating the IRS.

“Expect the whitewas…er, report exonerating everybody here in DC in a couple wee…er, mon…er, years.”

Steve Eggleston on May 15, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Seems to me Holder might have recused himself back in 2009 right after he took the oath of office.

Dusty on May 15, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Is this lying worm under oath? Probably doesn’t matter if he is or not that bunch lies and gets away with it all the time!
L

letget on May 15, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Sounds like the line of excuses from Obama and Holder are of the “I’m too stupid or I’m too incompetent” variety.

OxyCon on May 15, 2013 at 3:01 PM

The biggest thing that ever pizzed me off about Holder was
when he was being confirmed. The former Republican Senator
from Virginia, John Warner (remember him) backed this Botulism
in Human form.

Hey Warner, Eat Sh*it and Die!!

ToddPA on May 15, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Epic hearing.

BoxHead1 on May 15, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Racist Issa!

Holder is the capo of the Thug in Chief.

NO one believes a word they say. This is beyond 3rd world gov’t.

Goebbels and Orwell married.

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM

No one did.

He assumed that’s what Dear Leader would want, like the IRS agents who targeted the Tea Party.

Just another lone wolf operating on his own in Comrade O’s vast uncontrollable, too big for anyone to run, and yet still wonderful, federal government.

farsighted on May 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Obama’s Administration:

“All oral.”

LASue on May 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Randy Forbes of VA going for the jugular ticking off all the scandals under DOJ and WH from F & F to Benghazi to IRS.

“Waited 650 days from date DOJ became aware of IRS issues and then have to wait because the DOJ can’t investigate coz of the investigation.”

Benghazi. Boom.

Manipulation of facts. Holding up pic of Kyle Stevens of Benghazi and Brian Terry from F & F.

When irresponsible actions take place why have there been no actions against them?

If there’s nothing you or HRC or anyone else could have done then isn’t it true data should never get to IRS from ACA enforcement coz no one will be held accountable at top?

wyntre9 on May 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Oooohhh Goody! Hank Johnson time!

blammm on May 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I bet he doesn’t do anything in writing. This is going to be soooooo helpful.

Cindy Munford on May 15, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Funny, true, and sad.

SparkPlug on May 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM

VorDaj paraphrased “this gov’t wants you to believe that, at once, they are the smaahtest, evaahhhh, and the Three Monkeys of Oblivion”.

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Apparently AG Holder didn’t like being questioned about fulfilling the subpena for emails.

Cindy Munford on May 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM

A little OT, but I was just thinking how much of genius Clint Eastwood was with the “empty chair” president bit. Made my day!!

Deano1952 on May 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Uh oh. Hank Johnson. This hearing is about to tip over into the absurd.

Doughboy on May 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM

You’ve got to hand it to O’s gang of thugs, they certainly are overachievers when it comes to making sh!t up.

antipc on May 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Oh goody. It’s Hank-Guam-is-gonna-tip-over Johnson up now.

wyntre9 on May 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Since we have President Passerby, why not Attorney General Passerby? And IRS Head Passerby? And etc., etc., etc…

Just what low-information voters deserve… a low-information administration.

Meanwhile, the South Korean president just fired a chief spokesman for something. At least that could never happen here!

Marcola on May 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM

25th Amendment
Section 3. Whenever the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that he is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, and until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary, such powers and duties shall be discharged by the Vice President as Acting President.

By God, these folks are all suffering from “Old Timers” disease.
They don’t know sh*t, they can’t remember sh*t.

J_Crater on May 15, 2013 at 3:04 PM

ROFL

An org that operates on precise documentation yet the chief simply said, “Ok, I’m outta here, you guys handle it”?

O_o

Riiiiight.

Bishop on May 15, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Holder, channeling serial liars Kerry and Hillary: I recused myself before I forgot to recuse myself. But what difference does it make? This committee is out of order!

matthew8787 on May 15, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Simply amazing.

No, simply lying.

Cindy Munford on May 15, 2013 at 3:05 PM

1. We can’t talk because “there is an investigation I’ve ordered”.

2. A few months later “it happened so long ago”.

The Earth is flat.

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I enjoyed the mostly troll free morning.

I had to go do some work and expected the trolls would have gotten some talking points by now and spewing their crap all over the place.

I’m glad I was mistaken.

cozmo on May 15, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Sam Johnson is asking Holder what he’s doing to assure no more Island capsize.

dirtseller on May 15, 2013 at 3:05 PM

So the entire Obama strategy is to blame someone as far down the chain as possible.

Hillary/Benghazi Security – Chief of Staff.

Holder/AP wiretap – Deputy AG

Benghazi Talking Points – Biden’s Chief of Staff.

Fast/Furious – Phoenix DEA

Illegal immigrant release – ICE official

Which other ones am I missing?

budfox on May 15, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Whaaaaaat?

Hank’s been chooming again. Even Holder can’t follow his train of thought.

wyntre9 on May 15, 2013 at 3:06 PM

dogsoldier on May 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM

The problem is that he is somewhat black. Affirmative Action got him through college, and into this job, and it will keep him from impeachment too.

Affirmative Action now, Affirmative Action tomorrow and Affirmative Action forever!

slickwillie2001 on May 15, 2013 at 3:06 PM

In trying to do damage control these clowns are creating more damage; like a dog biting its tail to make itself stop barking from the sharp pain in its tail.

SparkPlug on May 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM

YaY!

Helium Legislation!

wyntre9 on May 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM

OMFG! He’s talking about helium. That just happened.

blammm on May 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM

HELIUM ??

burrata on May 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM

SparkPlug on May 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM

LOL

Deano1952 on May 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM

The federal government is totally corrupt.

FloatingRock on May 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Obama: I can’t remember when I recused myself from the Benghazi attack, and I know I didn’t do it in writing.

dirtseller on May 15, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Hank Johnson wants to use the 1917 espionage act to prosecute the press for disclosing the leaked material.

workingclass artist on May 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I enjoyed the mostly troll free morning.

cozmo on May 15, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Yep, Twerp wasn’t here. /smirk

SparkPlug on May 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Holder is a symptom of a greater thugery at work. Should be and will be are worlds apart. I agree with you wholeheartedly, however, realistically, we need to pursue the person who is responsible for Holder being in the position of Attorney General and acting on like a two-bit thug.

Barack Obama appointed Holder to that office. Barack Obama is responsible for the actions of Eric Holder as Attorney General.

Barack Obama is responsible for the actions of each and every person in the administration…which is to say in the executive branch. He appointed the heads of those departments and agencies. That is the nature of his position as chief executive of the executive branch of our government. Barack Obama must be held accountable for the decisions he’s made and the results of those decisions.

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM

H/t ITguy

“We’re going to punish our enemies”

Schadenfreude on May 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Hank says too many scandals and oversight of unimportant matter when we should be addressing real problems like the helium shortage.

Or something to that effect.

More helium!

wyntre9 on May 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM

IF it wasn’t in writing, he didn’t do it. This is the federal government and just as this administration insists that regulations must be followed by all and sundry, so rules of conduct, and procedure, must be observed, and duly sworn and attested oath’s of office must be observed and executed.

thatsafactjack on May 15, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Worth repeating.

matthew8787 on May 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM

So according to Sam Johnson…we need to get off all these scandals because of helium? I think he’s inhaling something, but not helium.

dirtseller on May 15, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Sorry—Hank Johnson

dirtseller on May 15, 2013 at 3:09 PM

RedInMD on May 15, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Who stayed home?

The GOP candidate received the following vote totals
2004: 62 million and change
2008: 58 million and change
2012: 61.9 million and change

The dem candidate received the following vote totals
2004 59 million and change
2008 69 million and change
2012 65.9 million and change

It looks like about 4 million voters stayed home in 2012. The only problem was that they voted for Obama in 2008. Romney fell about 800,000 votes shy of Bushes GOP record total in 2004. Romney would have needed all those uninspired Obama voters to have voted for him. Do you really believe that was going to occur?

chemman on May 15, 2013 at 3:09 PM