WaPo: IRS targeting of Tea Party, conservative groups also in Washington office

posted at 8:01 am on May 14, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

The story told by Lois Lerner in Friday’s IRS apology continues to fall apart faster than Al Capone’s audit defense.  Last night, the Washington Post revealed that the effort to target opponents of the Obama administration was not limited to just one office in Cincinnati, but encompassed three other offices as well — one of which was IRS headquarters in Washington DC.

How convenient:

Internal Revenue Service officials in Washington and at least two other offices were involved in the targeting of conservative groups seeking tax-exempt status, making clear that the effort reached well beyond the branch in Cincinnati that was initially blamed, according to documents obtained by The Washington Post.

IRS officials at the agency’s Washington headquarters sent queries to conservative groups asking about their donors and other aspects of their operations, while officials in the El Monte and Laguna Niguel offices in California sent similar questionnaires to tea-party-affiliated groups, the documents show.

The search terms turned out to be even more broad than first thought.  Guess what another one was? “Voter fraud,” apparently:

In one instance, however, Ron Bell, an IRS employee, informed a lawyer representing a conservative group focused on voter fraud that the application was under review in Washington. On several other occasions, IRS officials in Washington and California sent conservative groups detailed questionnaires about their voter outreach and other activities, according to the documents.

“For the IRS to say it was some low-level group in Cincinnati is simply false,” said Cleta Mitchell, a partner in the law firm Foley & Lardner LLP who sought to communicate with IRS headquarters about the delay in granting tax-exempt status to True the Vote.

By the way, does anyone remember what the Obama administration thinks about the effort to fight voter fraud?  And now we have evidence that the IRS targeted groups that want to pursue more stringent processes to prevent voter fraud. What a coincidence this must be.  How … convenient.

The Post also catches up with the who-knew-what-and-when of the story:

Moreover, details of the IRS’s efforts to target conservative groups reached the highest levels of the agency in May 2012, far earlier than has been disclosed, according to Republican congressional aides briefed by the IRS and the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration ­(TIGTA) on the details of their reviews.

Then-Commissioner Douglas Shulman, a George W. Bush appointee who stepped down in November, received a briefing from the TIGTA about what was happening in the Cincinnati office in May 2012, the aides said. His deputy and the agency’s current acting commissioner, Steven T. Miller, also learned about the matter that month, the aides said.

Let’s raise a red flag on the Shulman claim.  It’s very convenient for Shulman to claim now that he was briefed in May 2012, because he testified twice in March 2012 that nothing of this sort was happening at the IRS.  However, the IRS chief counsel — the top attorney in the organization — was informed in August 2011 of this targeting.  Just how likely would it have been that Shulman’s chief lawyer would have failed to mention this for nine months, and waited to brief him on it until Shulman was almost out the door?  I’d call that extremely unlikely, and even putting that aside, it still leaves the question of why Shulman never bothered to let anyone know about it, even as a private citizen.

Clearly, this strategy was no isolated incident. Four separate offices spread far across the country worked to put this targeting in place against the political opponents of the White House.  That alone smacks of higher-level coordination, at either the IRS Commissioner level or above.  The fact that it took place in the IRS’ Washington headquarters also shows that it was no rogue effort that ran wild due to lack of supervision.  This was purposeful.

Cui bono?  To whose benefit was this done? The buck stops at the White House — because that’s where the benefits of political harassment would start.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

The state targeted MOVE and Dr. King and the NAACP, CORE, SNCC and the SCLC because they critiqued institutional oppression. The IRS got sent a questionnaire.

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Black Dem mayor Wilson Goode sure targeted MOVE – with a bomb.

Wethal on May 14, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Considering that my writing, teaching, and public social media presence all have to do with opposing various vectors of racism through historicization, I’m not sure how you could claim that I’m cowardly. But sometimes I like to act out in less professional ways. So I come here. Newsflash, every single person here posts for the same reasons. The anonymity offers the opportunity to act out in ways they feel they can not in public forums. Attacking me for cowardice is attacking the very premise of this forum….

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:16 AM

You actually cared enough to track me down.

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:11 AM

But, but, I thought you didn’t “teach” at East Georgia.

sentinelrules on May 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Damn, this thread was destroyed by one freaking liberal and you dummies keep feeding the troll.

Goodness. Idiots.

True_King on May 14, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I blame HA.

It is impossible to get a few thousand posters to all ignore a troll all of the time. It defies human nature.

And this troll has been banned before.

farsighted on May 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:16 AM

So, you come here because you hate us and want to vent your hatred…got it.

BeachBum on May 14, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Agreed. If it was President Robert Byrd instead of Dog Eater we would all be onboard with having the IRS being used as a personal intimidation force against us.

Robert Byrd would never target white tea party groups….nor would Byrd ever get elected in a state not named West. Virginia. Remind me. How did that majority Dem state vote in the 2008 and 2012 Presidential elections?

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM

You can disavow, deflect and disown all you want. The fact of the matter is that while this is just a game and fun and debate for most everyone else, for you it clearly means something more. Something I said or did really got under your skin. You actually cared enough to track me down. Call it amazement, anger, disbelief, whatever, I struck a nerve. And boo, that’s a sad sign for you. I come and go off this forum, I post more frequently at times, less frequently at times, whatever. I’m not pressed. But you? Are steam pressed like last week’s dry cleaning about me. And its just sort of sad.

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Yawn, keep projecting homeboy. I wouldn’t pizz on you if your hair was on fire…that’s how little I care about you. I took 3 minutes scooter..to realize what a fool you were and where you were “coming” from. Strike a nerve? LOL. Again, phucktard..you seem to have reading comprehension issues…and your internet psychoanalysis is falling pretty flat.

And I don’t really give a chit about your level of pressing or your frequency of posting. So GFY drama queen.

HumpBot Salvation on May 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM

But, but, I thought you didn’t “teach” at East Georgia.

sentinelrules on May 14, 2013 at 10:18 AM

*sigh*

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:16 AM

On the contrary, perfesser…you are cowardly for what you post, while hiding behind the shield…and excuse…of perceived RAAACIIISM.

When you can’t provide a passioned Liberal argument against the subject of the thread, you do what you always do.

Cry “RAAACIST!”

The cowardly act of a very small person.

kingsjester on May 14, 2013 at 10:21 AM

So GFY drama queen.

HumpBot Salvation on May 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Ah yes, “GFY” the universal sign of indifference.

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:21 AM

kingsjester on May 14, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Nah boo. When people can’t respond to those moments where I bring out the racial hypocrisy of the conservative movement they accuse me of “playing the race card.” But, with some rare exceptions, folks are actually rarely ever to substantively deal.

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:22 AM

*sigh*

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Libree Translation: “I screwed up in my lying, time to cry harrassment.”

sentinelrules on May 14, 2013 at 10:22 AM

It’s just too bad that HA doesn’t treat the trolls here the same way the oh so “diverse” and “liberal” sites treat theirs.

BeachBum on May 14, 2013 at 10:23 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Now that right there is freaking hilarious. See libfree..I told you I enjoyed your comedic stylings. I’m pressed!!!

HumpBot Salvation on May 14, 2013 at 10:24 AM

HumpBot Salvation on May 14, 2013 at 10:24 AM

You’re reading my twitter feed now, aren’t you :)

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Ah yes, “GFY” the universal sign of indifference.

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I was using my indifferent face when I typed it…hard to see on the anonymity of the internet. I’ll try again. GFY drama queen.

That better?

HumpBot Salvation on May 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Hope you’re opposing Wilson Goode’s racism, since his bombing of MOVE was your example of government oppression.

Wethal on May 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Listen, pookie. I don’t give a rip what you think you’re doing. Your own world view is so convuluted that sky is green and the grass is blue in your world.

You’ve been so cloistered in academia, you couldn’t compete out in the real world,even if you wanted to actually work for a living.

This place should have banned your sorry self…again…several moths ago. But, it’s all about the thread count.

Your messiah’s reign is quickly swirling around the porcelain receptacle…and all you can do about it is hijack threads.

It sure stinks to be you, pookie.

kingsjester on May 14, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Wethal on May 14, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Black mayors in the 80s? Yes, they are guilty of some pretty horrific anti-black governance. This is not a threatening notion for me. It only speaks to how endemic anti-blackness is to the structure of the state that even black folks appropriated into the state become participants.

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Remember, this is EVEN the Washington ComPost saying this. You know it’s getting bad when the in the tank media has to admit some facts.

kirkill on May 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM

You don’t know what he would have done but it doesn’t matter if a POTUS Byrd would target TP’ers, whomever he targeted in any way would be fine with conservatives because he’s white and apparently that’s all we care about. I mean look at whitey Bill Clinton, we just loved him and lined up like lemmings behind the guy.

Bishop on May 14, 2013 at 10:32 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM

So, blacks getting government benefits are anti-black?

sentinelrules on May 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM

and all libturd can do is play the race card? That’s hilarious.

kirkill on May 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM

25 years ago yesterday, the government targeted a black political organization….with a bunker bomb killing 11 people including five children and burning down 65 homes. No one involved in the bombing was ever prosecuted. So excuse me if this IRS questionnaire doesn’t quite register.

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I’ve lived in Philly for 40 years.

The mayor ordered the bombing.

Black mayor (Wilson Goode) ordered the bombing of black people.

Wethal on May 14, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I arrived in Philadelphia for Grad school at Penn shortly after that event.

Quite the education for this Texan…

workingclass artist on May 14, 2013 at 10:34 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I won’t call you a coward.

I will criticize you (and all other liberal apologists) for abusing the cry of “racism”.

listens2glenn on May 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM

kingsjester on May 14, 2013 at 10:21 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:22 AM

At least they don’t play the “stalker” card after you point out their hypocrisy and they can’t respond.

Say, do you know that guy?

rogerb on May 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Translation: Whitey be making Wilson Goode a racist.

Wethal on May 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM

kingsjester on May 14, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Lord…help them. It is important to know what you’re good at. And you, my most precious, are no good at appropriating black gay vernacular or attempting to throw shade. Please do not come for me, unless I send you. What is amusing is that while the Obama Administration (or as I like to think of it, Bush III) had already sealed its fate as part of the 3 decade neoliberal project, your vision of a Christian-tastic nation is headed to the same historical junkheap as the 8 track, jerry curl and viable GOP presidential candidates. Millenials are, by far, more progressive than Gen Y or X,. They’ve been clued into the lie of religious authority and the deception that there is no class in American society. Without those things, conservatism is dead in the water. Its all just a matter of time.

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

This should send shivers though every American. The most powerful federal agency involving itself in the politics of American citizens with distinct bias.

Our base core for the reason of our existence was the submission of an all powerful, unaccountable government to the people it works for.

Leave it to the left to not only reject this all important concept but to do all it can to reverse that formula. Hey, it worked for the Soviet Union.

DWoDiego on May 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM

And finally it arrives, a brother complaining that other brothers are too dumb to “free” themselves from the shackles of never-ending racism. The only thing missing is one of the favorite lefty terms for such people like Oreo, House Negr0, or Uncle Tom.

So when a black mayor orders the police to drop a bomb on a black activist group in a black neighborhood it’s because he was co-opted by Big Whitey.

O_o

Bishop on May 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

DWoDiego on May 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Fascist is as Fascist does.

workingclass artist on May 14, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Hey Brainfreeordie, the walls are coming down on your gods, Chicago Jesus and Cankles. It’s so goddamn delicious!!!! My kitchen pots and pans are all warmed up for when they finally get what they deserve. And you will hear me banging them on that glorious day. My neighbors will call the looney bin, but it’s been 5 years coming!

GhoulAid on May 14, 2013 at 10:39 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Yes, and the unemployment rate for Millenials is over 20%.

Oh and how they love having their latest smart phones being given to the poor.

One generation put a man on the Moon, while another creates another useless app.

sentinelrules on May 14, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Ask any tea party member and you will probably find that they did it to everyone. It was an unspoken policy. It was government policy to attack the tea party in every single agency, but mostly in Congress. It started almost immediately with Janet Napolitano when she decided the day before(Apr 14, 2009) the first Tax Day Rally to attack veterans for possibly being domestic terrorists. I wonder where she got that idea? That silliness doesn’t show up in a real American’s thinking. Only someone that hates the military. Hmmmmmm. That would be most Democrats.

BetseyRoss on May 14, 2013 at 10:41 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Translation: Whitey be making Wilson Goode a racist.

Wethal on May 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Hmmmm….Whatever happened to the current mayor’s inquisition on the reporter who posted the recent Yes Virgina…there’s reverse racism in Philadelphia column…

The more things change…the more they stay the same or something…

Liberal Statists killed that wonderful city…imho

workingclass artist on May 14, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Say, do you know that guy?

rogerb on May 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I’m not sure if people are ready for that thread. A thread where I don’t mention race and yet still handily beat a dozen people’s arguments? What will kingjester do?

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:42 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

WHO ……. is promoting the deception that there is no class in American society ?

listens2glenn on May 14, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Oh and how they love having their latest smart phones being given to the poor.

Which President started the program now known as “Obama phones?”

I have asked that question about 5 times on this board and yet to receive an answer. I suspect this will be no different.

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:43 AM

O_o

Bishop on May 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I didn’t say anything about “whitey” I am talking about anti-blackness. But its too complex a concept to introduce here, folks need to read their Gramsci first.

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:45 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Wow. Denial is not just a river in Egypt. As long as you have yourself, you’ll never be alone.

kingsjester on May 14, 2013 at 10:45 AM

WHO ……. is promoting the deception that there is no class in American society ?

listens2glenn on May 14, 2013 at 10:43 AM

What do you think modern conservatism is……

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Say, do you know that guy?

rogerb on May 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:42 AM

You can follow a topic, can’t you professor?

…they accuse me of “playing the race card.”

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:22 AM

At least they don’t play the “stalker” card

rogerb on May 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM

(Hint: Pointing out your hypocrisy. Again. This time, comically, while you’re pointing out others’ hypocrisy. HTH, professor.)

rogerb on May 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I never mentioned “Obama-phones” just that your ridiculous notion that Millenials would advocate for a class-free society.

“Dude, my latest iPad was made by slave kids in China, but it comes in Orange!”

Oh, and “the Bush did it” mantra seems to be epidemic among libtards (and blacks) who will never claim personal responsibility for their mistakes.

sentinelrules on May 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Bishop on May 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:45 AM

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

listens2glenn on May 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Let’s try this again.

Watergate articles of impeachment…

Article 2…

1. He (Nixon) has, acting personally and through his subordinates and agents, endeavoured to obtain from the Internal Revenue Service, in violation of the constitutional rights of citizens, confidential information contained in income tax returns for purposed not authorized by law, and to cause, in violation of the constitutional rights of citizens, income tax audits or other income tax investigations to be intitiated or conducted in a discriminatory manner.

farsighted on May 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM

… various vectors of racism through historicization …

Perhaps you should learn to write, vector-historicism guy.

casuist on May 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:45 AM

You need to read the full MOVE story, including what happened after Wilson Goode and his buddy “rebuilt” the houses that Goode burned down.

Wethal on May 14, 2013 at 10:50 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Oooo…uhhh….yeah, about that:

A questionnaire?!? Heavens to murgatroid snaggle puss! Whatever shall we do!! White privilege is hilarious. The victims of stop n frisk, the MOVE bombing, and COINTELPRO are laughing their ass off. At least those of them who the government hasn’t killed.

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I guess I need to brush up on my Gramsci.

Bishop on May 14, 2013 at 10:51 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Why, yes, of course, because Gramsci just goes on and on about anti-blackness in his tedious and in-dire-need-of-editing Prison Notebooks, a text that graduate students who will never get jobs like to carry around but never really read.

Wait. No, Gramsci never mentions “anti-blackness.” Did you know that the Italian Communists were quite OK with Italy’s adventures in Ethiopia?

casuist on May 14, 2013 at 10:52 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Because the founder of the Italian Communist Party has so much to teach us….about failed political and economic systems.

Wethal on May 14, 2013 at 10:55 AM

WHO ……. is promoting the deception that there is no class in American society ?

listens2glenn on May 14, 2013 at 10:43 AM

What do you think modern conservatism is……

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:46 AM

When/where/how did the term “modern conservatism” ever come about?

Just plain “conservatism” means less government control over our individual lives. That’s all I recognize.

There will ALWAYS be varying classes of social-status, among the people of the world, in any given locality. I don’t know any conservatives who don’t believe that.

listens2glenn on May 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I guess I need to brush up on my Gramsci.

Bishop on May 14, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Gram– … who ?

listens2glenn on May 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM

listens2glenn on May 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Modern conservatism is their new term, just as they changed “liberal” to “progressive” when the former became a bit too nasty for them. Same old tired fascism, snappy new title, and no one noticed; they’re pretty smart those lib..er..progressives.

Bishop on May 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I suspect that the IRS officials driving this didn’t come up with the lists themselves, they were fed targets from advocacy groups, probably the ones run by the democratics’ favorite Nazi stooge George Soros.

That’s what they do.

Follow the leak of Governor Romney’s IRS information to Dingy Harry. That’s by far the most serious breach here, it was a conspiracy designed to affect a presidential election and it surely did.

slickwillie2001 on May 14, 2013 at 11:02 AM

So Obama is going to have to take another walk-back.

Well, we’ve had one lie…. it was only in Cincinnati..

Another lie…….this was recent.

Another lie…….this was unknown.

The biggest lie? “Low level employees.”

This is the lie that, with all the other lies, is the one lie that’s the biggest lie.

I give another week or so before a memo will pop up naming the senior advisor who authorized this.

Then that will be a lie, because all of this will eventually be shown to come from the White House.

Because if there’s anything Obama’s rise to power has been predicated on, it’s unsealing and publishing records of his opponents.

itsspideyman on May 14, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Gram– … who ?

listens2glenn on May 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Someone that libs trot out to prove to everyone how intellectual and deep-thinking they are, similar to flopping out Marx and Niebuhr at opportune times. It’s all drier than week-old toast but boy do they get points with other leftists for using them.

Bishop on May 14, 2013 at 11:06 AM

listens2glenn on May 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Modern conservatism is their new term, just as they changed “liberal” to “progressive” when the former listens2glenn on May 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Bishop on May 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM Same old tired fascism, snappy new title, and no one noticed; they’re pretty smart those lib..er..progressives.

Bishop on May 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Way back when, the term ‘progressive’ was changed to ‘liberal’ because “the former became a bit too nasty for them.”

Full circle.

listens2glenn on May 14, 2013 at 11:06 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM

O_o

Bishop on May 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Just a correction for Historical purposes….

Ramona Africa, and the Move Cult were not a blacK activist
group….Hell, the Authorities down there and their Neighbors
did not even consider them HUMANS.

Wilson Goode was under intense pressure to Remove them from
that neighborhood, which was roughly 85% black. Yes
to all those “enlightened” Leftists out there, the Black
neighbors in Philly wanted other “Miscreants’ removed
from their neighborhood..they considered them a Blight.

Those DAMN RACISTS!!

ToddPA on May 14, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I guess I need to brush up on my Gramsci.

Yes, because everything that historicize-your-vectors-guy says makes perfect sense if only you read your Gramsci or something.

casuist on May 14, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Gram– … who ?

listens2glenn on May 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Bishop on May 14, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Nothing like scoring points, among your political ideologue friend.

listens2glenn on May 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I guess I need to brush up on my Gramsci.

Bishop on May 14, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Why you pickin’ on the polocks?

VegasRick on May 14, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Libfree, where you go? Hellloooooooo….don’t you want to defend your charge of “white privilege”?

Bishop on May 14, 2013 at 11:13 AM

The IRS has apologized – I think we can move on.
(I’d like to apologize to them for the underpayments on my estimated taxes. Glad we can move on.)

verbaluce on May 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Which President started the program now known as “Obama phones?”

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 10:43 AM

George Bush. Under what President did the program SKYROCKET?

Wagthatdog on May 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Bishop on May 14, 2013 at 11:13 AM

The race baiter has left the building. The air is fresher in here now, isn’t it?

ShadowsPawn on May 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Drudge editor Joseph Curl: ‘CIA source says still one more shoe to drop’ for Obama admin

journeymike on May 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM

The IRS has apologized – I think we can move on.

verbaluce on May 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Abolish the IRS. Problem solved (and future problems prevented).

Win/win.

listens2glenn on May 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM

The IRS has apologized – I think we can move on.

verbaluce on May 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Sorry. The dam’s bursting. Run for your little Liberal life!

kingsjester on May 14, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I wonder…. did libfree get his panties in a twist when Herman Cain was being harassed and oppressed by THE MAN, in the form of all those icky MSM reporters abusing their white privilege to hammer Cain on his shortcomings?

Did he cheer the Cain boomlet amongst the populace here at Hotair last year, because those evil racist Republicans were –gasp!– promoting someone of color?

Or is libfree one of those tired people who think the only true black is a marxist black who is never responsible for his or her own actions and everyone owes said black person everything?

It’s a silly question, right? Because being a TrueBlack™ means never, ever, EVER having any sort of personal responsibility. And if you argue otherwise, you are an Uncle Tom/embracing the inner slave or something.

Vanceone on May 14, 2013 at 11:23 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Waco had a much higher death toll. No one was prosecuted for that either. There is one other similarity – the individuals responsible for ordering the operations in question (Mayor Wilson Goode in Philadelphia and Bill Clinton/Janet Reno in the case of Waco) were DEMOCRATS.

Not only that, Wilson Goode was African-American, and was elected with the political support of his community. Bill Clinton had the support of the overwhelming support of the African-American electorate, and was even dubbed “the first Black president”. So, we have two massacres ordered by politicians supported by the African-American community.

I bet you thought that you were being clever by using the MOVE incident as an example of “racism”, but I bet you never thought you would be clobbered with it.

Back at you, perfesser. You ought to remember that old saying about he who lives in a glass house should not throw rocks.

SubmarineDoc on May 14, 2013 at 11:25 AM

casuist on May 14, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Gramsci is the primer for understanding how hegemony works, such that we can move beyond critiquing individual subjects like “whitey”

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 11:25 AM

journeymike on May 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Someone’s “coming out”??

ToddPA on May 14, 2013 at 11:25 AM

slickwillie2001 on May 14, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Someone in Dear Leader’s admin almost certainly told someone in power in the IRS to make sure the IRS takes a close look at all of the new tax-exempt organizations that started forming after Comrade O was elected and opposition to Obamacare began to solidify.

farsighted on May 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM

The IRS has apologized – I think we can move on.

verbaluce on May 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM

So if the US apologizes for slavery, we can move on from cries of racism?

sentinelrules on May 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Gramsci called for Marxists to actively spread their ideology in a gradual, incremental, stealth manner, by infiltrating all existing societal institutions and embedding it, largely without being noticed, in the popular mind. This, he emphasized, was to be an evolutionary, rather than a revolutionary, process that, over a period of decades, would cause an ever-increasing number of people to embrace Marxist thought, until at last it achieved hegemony. Gramsci described this approach as a “long march through the institutions.” Among the key institutions that would need to be infiltrated were the cinema and theater, the schools and universities, the seminaries and churches, the media, the courts, the labor unions, and at least one major political party. According to Gramsci, these institutions constituted society’s “superstructure,” which, if captured and reshaped by Marxists, could lead the masses to abandon capitalism of their own volition, entirely without resistance or objection.

courtesy of discoverthenetworks.org

kingsjester on May 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM

The IRS has apologized – I think we can move on.

verbaluce on May 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM

ROFL

Bishop on May 14, 2013 at 11:32 AM

courtesy of discoverthenetworks.org

kingsjester on May 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM

hotairlib quoting a commie? Gee…who knew?

itsspideyman on May 14, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I believe now would be a very good time for the internet press to start looking for answers about that helicopter that contained 16 members of SEAL Team Six which was brought down several weeks after the Bin Laden hit. There’s something very, very fishy about that one. The families are asking. I’ve looked this one up and very, very few are on top of it. Finally, the families appeared on Fox and Friends last week. But nothing at all on Drudge. Like Benghazi this crash and the Fort Hood issues can’t sink into oblivion.

And I’m still waiting for the names of the Penagon brass who said Major Hassan’s terror attack was “workplace violence”. Something is very strange at the top echelons of the Pentagon. I was absolutely amazed that Leon Paneta told us we never send in the military unless we know the outcome will be positive (tell that to the Marines at Guadalcanal) and that there were no military prepared to scramble on 9-11-12. If the military is that unprepared in the middle of a tinderbox, someone needs to be court marshalled.

Portia46 on May 14, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Apparently you don’t know what “individual subject” means, undergraduate guy. ‘Whitey’ was a pejorative instance of synecdoche (part for whole, whiteness for the whole person) that signified an entire class. It’s also the artefact of an era; some here use it but only in an ironic sense to spoof attitudes like, say, yours. An individual subject would be, you know, a person or something. Your professors are failing you, vector-historicism guy.

casuist on May 14, 2013 at 11:39 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 8:49 AM

This is a good time to examine the psychology of leftists. Notice how they use very old (frequently generations removed) injustices as a way of rationalizing injustices that are happening NOW.

This is why, if Fascism comes to America, it will come from the LEFT. Because leftists can always justify any injustice they perform by saying “….remember what happened 150 years ago…”

The trolls on these pages serve as conclusive proof of my hypothesis.

SubmarineDoc on May 14, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Morning all. Just wanted to let libfreenotortureme know that I’m really enjoying my white privilege. Esp today when the black man in the White House is having some slight difficulties.

arnold ziffel on May 14, 2013 at 11:45 AM

It came from the left the last freakin’ time. On the other hand, who cares?–collectivism is collectivism, and whether right left or centre, it fails, it will always fail, and it will always take a whole lot of good people with it straight to hell. And whether someone from the right, left, or centre demands it, we should resist them.

casuist on May 14, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I’m all about my Jew-Privilege right now. I enjoyed an Israeli wine at Shabbat dinner last Friday night. You could really taste the oppression. Mmmmmmm. Oppression.

casuist on May 14, 2013 at 11:48 AM

The trolls on these pages serve as conclusive proof of my hypothesis.

SubmarineDoc on May 14, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Absolutely man. Fascism is by its very nature a phenomenon of the left. Woodrow Wilson was our first fascist president.

slickwillie2001 on May 14, 2013 at 11:48 AM

casuist on May 14, 2013 at 11:39 AM

And apparently you’re unfamiliar with concepts of identification. So, for example, even though I never said anything about “whitey” posters here brought up that figure because they identified with my critique of anti-black racism and transformed it into a personal critique of a figure they identify with “whitey.” So in order to get us away from the pointless politics of identification, Gramsci gets us thinking about social, political and affective structure, which is where any conversation of anti-blackness must being.

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 11:48 AM

must begin.

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 11:49 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 11:48 AM

As I posted above, Gramsci was a Marxist…as are you and your messiah.

kingsjester on May 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM

This libfree person is not a liberal, this is a full blown red diaper commie. Funny it names itself using a name including the word Free. How’d that work out in Russia?

BeachBum on May 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 11:48 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 8:25 AM

From the Dog Eater School of Ambiguity. Libfree took classes with Jay Carney.

Bishop on May 14, 2013 at 11:53 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 11:48 AM

blah, blah, blah, yak, yak, yak.

itsspideyman on May 14, 2013 at 11:54 AM

As I posted above, Gramsci was a Marxist…as are you and your messiah.

kingsjester on May 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM

This is just dumb. Since Marxist invented the very notion of conceptual economic theory you’re a marxist too. Hayek (though now discredited) is merely a revising of Keynes who is a revision of Mill who is a revision of Marx. I think you are trying to call me a “communist” which is false.

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 11:55 AM

From the Dog Eater School of Ambiguity. Libfree took classes with Jay Carney.

Bishop on May 14, 2013 at 11:53 AM

White privilege is by definition not a person. I.e. it is not “whitey.” The fact that you can not understand the distinction because you personally identify with anything that has the word “white” in it, is precisely the point. And the right accuses the left of playing identity politics, oy.

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 11:56 AM

No, they were being ironic, as I said, and ‘critique’ is overwrought, don’t you think, humanities guy? They were calling you names, which is what a goof like you deserves, and apparently you got your nose all pushed out of joint because of it.

No, actually, that was never Gramsci’s project though I enjoy how you can project your own thoughts and views on those of another so easily and uncritically. Gramsci was interested in the civilizing activity of civil society–the layer of society between government and business, those layers that can coerce us–the dense networks of voluntary institutions like churches, mosques, or synagogues, the boy-scouts, bowling leagues etc. He perhaps rightly surmised that a lot of people’s values were shaped by what he referred to as these “hegemonic” institutions. But ill-educated goof-balls like yourself tend to turn Gramsci upside down by identifying hegemony with power and conspiracy etc. These would be the owning classes in Gramsci’s account. Go back and read your Gramsci, goofball.

One interesting thing that Gramsci predicted were knowledge workers. He got one thing right.

casuist on May 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 11:56 AM

You’re a commie, why are you ashamed to admit it?

BeachBum on May 14, 2013 at 11:59 AM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Take it up with David Horowitz…and history. Gramsci was a Communist. If you subscribe to his teachings, you are a Communist.

This isn’t your classroom, perfesser. Revisionist History is not taught here.

kingsjester on May 14, 2013 at 12:02 PM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 11:25 AM

So….it’s now ok for you if I’m whitey? Or does that only count if I’m actually black?

You probably spent alot on that education. You got robbed.

runawayyyy on May 14, 2013 at 12:03 PM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I see. You’re blaming white privilege but not white people who one could assume created all that white privilege.

Question: Why do I personally identify with the word “white”?

Bishop on May 14, 2013 at 12:05 PM

libfreeordie on May 14, 2013 at 8:49 AM

As has been pointed out to you numerous times (and you actually blamed the actions of the black people in charge of Philly on white people), every one of these “crimes against black humanity” was perpetrated by other black people and/or other leftists.

By your own logic, and stated reason for existence, the last thing you should be is a leftist.

If you really didn’t make this connection, I can only assume it’s because you’re intensly stupid.

runawayyyy on May 14, 2013 at 12:11 PM

The sad but brutally honest truth is as long as the mega-partisan, self/party-serving, criminals in Washington continue to dole out the Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, Welfare, Food Stamps, Obamacare, Obamaphones, etc the voting majority of Americans won’t give a d@mn!

(God, I pray they prove me wrong!)

easyt65 on May 14, 2013 at 12:18 PM