Gosnell jury hung on two counts … out of more than 200

posted at 12:41 pm on May 13, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

The jury for the trial of Kermit Gosnell has told the judge that the panel is deadlocked on two counts in the trial.  However, since the jury had to consider more than 200 counts against Gosnell and a co-defendant, this may be an indication that the jury has already concluded all of its other work:

A Philadelphia jury says it’s deadlocked on two counts in the murder trial of a longtime abortion provider.

Dr. Kermit Gosnell is accused of killing a patient and four babies allegedly born alive and then killed with scissors.

The counts that divided the jury were not announced Monday. In addition to the five murder charges, Gosnell also faces more than 200 charges of violating abortion law. Prosecutors say he performed illegal, third-term abortions and failed to counsel women 24 hours in advance.

LifeNews’s Steven Ertelt adds his thoughts:

Given the number of charges Gosnell faces, and the fact that Gosnell has a co-defendant the jury is considering for conviction as well, the jury make take a longer period of time to arrive at a verdict on each of the 250-plus charges.

Most of the focus in the murder trial of abortion practitioner Kermit Gosnell is on the murder charges he faces for killing babies in abortion-infanticides and for killing a woman in a botched abortion.

But Gosnell faces more than 200 charges related to violating Pennsylvania state law that requires him to provide women with informed consent 24 hours prior to the abortion. Gosnell is charged with breaking that law by not giving women information about abortion risks and alternatives 24 hours prior to the abortion.

Eight other defendants who are former staffers of Gosnell’s Philadelphia abortion clinic have pleaded guilty to a variety of charges and are awaiting sentencing.

Reporter JD Mullane, who has been one of the few covering the trial in-depth, offers a few thoughts on the development, and some important context:

That context is the most interesting.  The jury has apparently reached some agreement on at least three of the murder counts — which way, no one knows, but not all of those counts have them split.  After almost two weeks, the jury seems to have answers for 99% or more of the charges.  If they can’t agree on two of the 200+ charges, a mistrial won’t derail the verdicts and accountability for Gosnell and his crew.

Given the likelihood that the judge will ask them to keep working for a while longer on the last two, I’d expect a verdict announcement by the end of the week, possibly sooner.  We’ll see if Gosnell’s smiles and laughter during the trial and court appearances during deliberations were justified.

Comments

What is this?

Fricking bad News Monday?

Sheesh…….

Scrumpy on May 13, 2013 at 12:44 PM

It still makes a difference, because I’d bet the farm that they’re hung on a couple of the murder charges. A group of people with far better things to do than pore over evidence of the worst things they’ve seen in their lives have better things to do than deadlock over whether he honored an abortion waiting period law or something.

LukeinNE on May 13, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I hope the jury comes to their senses and come together on this verdict…

Scrumpy on May 13, 2013 at 12:47 PM

They let him off on the two jay waking charges.

Akzed on May 13, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I’ve been saying this all along. All it takes is ONE liberal on the jury and we know PA is full of em. This jurist or jurists could easily see how finding Gosnell guilty on certain counts would damage the pro-abortion argument and based on that could put a wrench in the works. Looks like I wasn’t being cynical, just realistic. God, I hate these libbies!

neyney on May 13, 2013 at 12:48 PM

If Gosnell is found not guilty, or if there is a mistrial, I fully expect a “natural disaster” of Biblical proportions to hit the United States.

Turn MD Red on May 13, 2013 at 12:49 PM

If the jury deadlocks on two of the charges but agree on the other 198 (or whatever the number is), what then? Does the judge declare a mistrial on the two charges and the other 198 guilty/not guilty verdicts take effect?

Mohonri on May 13, 2013 at 12:50 PM

They let him off on the two jay waking charges.

Akzed on May 13, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Or maybe they let him off on everything but the jaywalking charges, and the liberals on the jury are trying to get him off on those as well.

Gator Country on May 13, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Mohonri on May 13, 2013 at 12:50 PM

According to Mullane, the judge could accept the verdicts they agreed on and call a mistrial on the two charges on which they couldn’t reach a verdict.

Gator Country on May 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I read “Gosnell jury hung” and my first thought was wondering if the barkster’s administration had finally overreached enough for the LSM.

VegasRick on May 13, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Yes, the jury has reached a verdict on 266 of 268 charges – surely with a bit more deliberation, they reach a consensus on the last two. Regardless of whether or not Gosnell is convicted of ANY of the murder charges, he is still facing over 400 years “in prison” if convicted on all other charges.

Pork-Chop on May 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM

You ever see the dramatizations of the first Menendez Brothers trial where 3 or 4 women jurors tore down crime scene photos of the bullet ridden parent bodies off the jury blackboard and refused to look at or discuss them?

Marcus on May 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Well, that with everything else coming down the pipeline, that “natural disaster” should certainly be expected, Biblically speaking.

God is not pleased.

At all.

hawkeye54 on May 13, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Not hardly.

hawkeye54 on May 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM

We are assuming he will be guilty of all other charges. I hope to God that he is convicted of them, but it could go the other way with many of them. I have no confidence in the set of women who vote/think by their lady parts.

cptacek on May 13, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Not hardly.

hawkeye54 on May 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM

“I just now learned about the hangings and have determined that it was due to a lady gaga video” – the barkster

VegasRick on May 13, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Turn MD Red on May 13, 2013 at 12:49 PM

spoken like a true ‘Christian’

nonpartisan on May 13, 2013 at 1:09 PM

nonpartisan–I see you are here to distract, and annoy. How would you react to Gosnell? Weeping and Wailing and gnashing of teeth if he’s convicted? Celebratory if he gets away with murder?

Vanceone on May 13, 2013 at 1:16 PM

spoken like a true ‘Christian’

nonpartisan on May 13, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Would it be more “Christian” to hope that blacks would riot over the release of one of their own who butchers their own?

LoganSix on May 13, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Ignore the bigoted troll. He hates “ragheads.”

CurtZHP on May 13, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I have a bad feeling about this. It’s far more likely the jury’s decided to let Gosnell walk on all the other charges, and the holdouts on the 2 remaining charges are the few (or even one) who want to get him on something.

It is Philadelphia, after all.

Steve Eggleston on May 13, 2013 at 1:26 PM

One can well imagine what he thinks of black children.

CurtZHP on May 13, 2013 at 1:27 PM

spoken like a true ‘Christian’

nonpartisan on May 13, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Okay, how about a comment from a non-Christian.
If Gosnell is found guilty-he’ll die in prison.(It’ll be sooner rather than later if he’s put in ‘general’.
If he walks-unlikely-well, I still very much doubt what’s left of his life is going to be all that pleasant.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 13, 2013 at 1:32 PM

It is Philadelphia, after all.

Steve Eggleston on May 13, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Ah, but we don’t know how many jurors are practicing, church-going Christians. What if there’s one such someone who’s Jewish or Moslem? It’s not like the OJ trial, where the one who blew the case was the prosecutor herself; she was too inexperienced to handle a trial of that scope.

We won’t know a thing until the verdicts are announced. As Oddball said in Kelly’s Heroes, “Ya gotta have a little faith, baby!”

Liam on May 13, 2013 at 1:34 PM

spoken like a true ‘Christian’

nonpartisan on May 13, 2013 at 1:09 PM

So, theologian, what should be the “‘Christian’” response?

What is God telling you?

davidk on May 13, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Liam on May 13, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I don’t have faith in a jury comprised entirely of women when the case has to do with killing babies through abortion. All it takes is one individual who decides that affirming the “right” of women to kill their children.

Happy Nomad on May 13, 2013 at 1:43 PM

So, theologian, what should be the “‘Christian’” response?

What is God telling you?

davidk on May 13, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Let me see if I can channel ShorterObama

“Hey Hyperpartisan, spin, baby spin because that’s what you do.”

Steve Eggleston on May 13, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Happy Nomad on May 13, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I can understand. But it’s not the jury in whom I place my faith. I believe all things will work out well in the end, no matter how they do.

My biggest concern, otherwise, is that the trolls will be insufferable for a month if Gosnell walks. LOL

Liam on May 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM

So the jury is stuck on 2 of the 210 charges that have been filed against him….

If the other 208 get him the ‘chair’, forget those & wrap it up!

easyt65 on May 13, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Liam on May 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Don’t worry; Satan is waiting to “welcome” Gosnell to eternal damnation.

Steve Eggleston on May 13, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Liam on May 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM

How would be able to tell?

Happy Nomad on May 13, 2013 at 1:53 PM

How would be able to tell?

Happy Nomad on May 13, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Good point! I should have said, “More insufferable.” They can get worse, I’m certain.

Liam on May 13, 2013 at 1:58 PM

VegasRick on May 13, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Nice. ;)

kim roy on May 13, 2013 at 2:15 PM

From J.D. Mullane, about 6 minutes ago –

Possible verdict in #gosnell. Devices off in courtroom now.

Gator Country on May 13, 2013 at 2:17 PM

A group of people with far better things to do than
LukeinNE on May 13, 2013 at 12:45 PM

In a free society there is no “better thing to do” when you are on a jury. Your have a duty and an obligation to place the rest of your life on hold and give the accussed your full attention and see that justice is carried out.

Part of the problem with our country today is people think being on a jury is something to “get out of” and if not then to “get done with ASAP”

unseen on May 13, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Seems like this trial is all but over.

Disagreement on 1% of anything is within statistical margins of error.

Look for a Wednesday verdict. IF those last two charges are not agreed on by the jury, I suspect that the prosecution will only persue them IF Gosnell is somehow found innocent.

Do not forget that there are multiple drug charges in this case. They may well be hung up on some of those.

Freddy on May 13, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Now being confirmed by multiple sources that a verdict has been reached.

Gator Country on May 13, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Turned on FNC, just in case it breaks, soon.
Oh, Lord, will we get Shep ?? LOL

pambi on May 13, 2013 at 2:25 PM

FNC on it, live.
Megan’s show, thank God. LOL.

pambi on May 13, 2013 at 2:26 PM

No news allowed from inside, as they go through the counts, etc.

pambi on May 13, 2013 at 2:37 PM

New HA thread on Gosnell verdict…

Missy on May 13, 2013 at 2:40 PM