As scandal swirls, Obama focuses on the real cause of cynicism about government: Rush Limbaugh

posted at 8:51 pm on May 13, 2013 by Allahpundit

We’ve got four separate scandals exploding right now, each one arguably bigger than the last: Benghazi, Sebelius extorting health-care execs to fund ObamaCare, the DOJ harvesting reporters’ phone records to see who they’re talking to, and of course the metastasizing revelations about the IRS targeting conservative groups. When mulling the reasons why people are cynical about government, you might think that cover-ups and harassment of political opponents by the ruling administration are, shall we say, a “key factor.”

But you’d be wrong.

“What’s blocking us right now is a sort of hyper-partisanship in Washington that I was, frankly, hoping to overcome in 2008,” Obama said today, according to the pool report. “My thinking was when we beat them in 2012 that might break the fever, and it’s not quite broken yet. But I am persistent. And I am staying at it. And I genuinely believe there are Republicans out there who would like to work with us but they’re fearful of their base and they’re concerned about what Rush Limbaugh might say about them

“As a consequence we get the kind of gridlock that makes people cynical about government,” he told donors. “My intentions over the next 3 ½ years are to govern. … If there are folks who are more interested in winning elections than they are thinking about the next generation then I want to make sure there are consequences to that.”

He said that at a fundraiser, which is also how he spent the evening following the attack in Benghazi. Say what you will about the man but his priorities are at least consistent.

Why would he fall back on a talking point this lame knowing how it will look tomorrow floating in a sea of news about government malfeasance? Just force of habit, I think. When you’re under stress, routine is a comfort. For all the talk about his sunny, optimistic Hopenchange campaign in 2008, he got elected ultimately by being the anti-Bush. He got reelected last year by accusing Romney of being a woman-hating plutocrat. In 2010, when he was momentarily deprived of a GOP villain-in-chief, he resorted to tossing spurious charges about shady foreign donors at the Chamber of Commerce. He’s always been defined as much by what he isn’t, i.e. a contrast to whoever the right-wing foil du jour happens to be, as what he is. Go figure that with bad news crashing down from every direction, he’d retreat into boilerplate about how things would work much better in D.C. if only conservative talk radio wasn’t browbeating Republicans. See now why Ross Douthat thinks the left’s “tone” might have contributed to what the IRS did?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

All will be forgiven when Rubio, McCain and Graham line up at the immigration reform signing ceremony for their hug and kiss with the President.

Wigglesworth on May 14, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Notice this: “In the letter notifying the AP, which was received Friday”. Friday… What was happing “FRIDAY”?

Oh yea, counsel for the IRS was admitting that they were targeting Tea Party groups. Fall out from the Benghazi hearings was triggering calls for greater investigation. Obama was forced into a press conference. How could the administration keep Americans from understanding the meaning of these scandals? After all, people can only digest so much at once, especially if it contradicts their own world views… See what I’m getting at? Let me be clear.

THIS IS A DISTRACTION FROM REAL SCANDALS! The administration choose the timing to send this letter knowing that their complicit press would be happy to drop Benghazi and IRS scandals to chase after something what they could control and something that wouldn’t be so scandalous in the end anyway. The opposition media is falling for it too!

elfman on May 14, 2013 at 9:13 AM

God Bless Rush Limbaugh…

workingclass artist on May 14, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Still playing beta male to Rush’s alpha male.

A small little man who will always be a small little man.

MNHawk on May 14, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Let’s check the Score Card, shall we?

1) Benghazi Scandal
2) IRS Scandal
3) Kathleen Sebelius, Head of HHS, SCANDAL (BROKE SEVERAL LAWS)
4) AP Phone Tapping Scandal

“It’s Bush’s fault…er…it’s the TEA Party’s fault…er, It’s Rush Limbaugh’s fault…er, I didn’t know any of this was going on…er, it was low-level personnel making all the major decisions & taking action…er, I was never briefed…er, No, I, uh, called it terrorism the momet the attack started…and, uh, this is all just a sideshow, a sham, a blown-up opportunity for the GOP to criticize me…I don’t have to take this shi’ite…I’m going on vacation again with Tiger Woods!”

easyt65 on May 14, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Headsup to…Mark Levin and his Landmark Legal Foundation & Drudge as well.

Talk Radio has got to be shut down to preserve our democracy or something…

workingclass artist on May 14, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Obama is being LIT UP today, his every word from yesterday’s Press Conference being picked apart – every LIE being exposed under a microscope!

Obama was ‘crying’ yesterday because there he ws, the President of ‘the most powerful nation in the world’ – a position of ‘envy & reverence’ – and in the presence of a fellow World Leader the rude, vile, disloyal, disrespectful U.S. media DARED to attack him – to try to humiliate him – right off the bat with that 1st d@mn IRS question! They dared come after him when he was hosting one of his peers…and he had absolutely NOTHING – no tele-prompter, no talking points, no real answers. All he could do, in front of the British Prime Minister, was to lie, keep a calm exterior, present a good image, & get through the d@mn press conference as quickly as possible!

“I…AM…OBAMA! Obama,MothF*ers! I am the President! I am the smartest man in the room – a Constitutional Scholar from an Ivy League school! I am the world’s greatest leader! And that room full of little b@st@rds dare to embarrass me by asking THOSE questions in front of the Prime Minister? You don’t air dirty laundry in front of the company….besides that type of behavior is not toolerated any time! They are supposed to LOVE ME! AM I NOT MERCIFUL?! And they wonder why I ordered them wire tapped, sheesh! I’m from CHI-CAH-GO, MothF*ers! You wanna mess with me? I will wire tap the shi’ite outta you…just for starters! Titto, give me a tissue! “)

easyt65 on May 14, 2013 at 9:32 AM

MEDIA FIRESTORM…

“Top Dem calls for public testimony on Benghazi…”

“WASHPOST: Obama’s claim he called ‘act of terrorism’ — Four Pinocchios…”

“Obama administration also targeted Jewish groups”…

‘Son of Watergate?’…”40 years later — to the week…”

“McConnell: ‘Just The Beginning’”…”CHENEY: Cover-up ‘still ongoing’”…

“IRS chief to be given ‘President’s Medallion’…”
– What the h@ll?

“Obama Administration Under Siege From 3 Huge Scandals: Here’s Why It Could All Come Crashing Down”

“Scandal politics sweep Capitol Hill”

“Camelot fell, but Rome is Burning…”

easyt65 on May 14, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I hadn’t realized that Rush was responsible for Viet Nam. I thought John and Lyndon were.

unclesmrgol on May 14, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Maha Rushie lives in his head. Rent free. Destroying the decor.

DanMan on May 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM

And I genuinely believe there are Republicans out there who would like to work with us but they’re fearful of their base and they’re concerned about what Rush Limbaugh might say about them…

As Col Potter said in the tv series MASH “Horse Hockey!!!”

logicman_1998 on May 14, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Talk Radio has got to be shut down to preserve our democracy or something…

Its gotta be shut down alright, for something other than preserving our democracy. Its obviously way to persuasive and influential.

/s

hawkeye54 on May 14, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I thought Obama’s 2012 victory was Pyrrhic. I didn’t realize how soon that would come to be.

22044 on May 14, 2013 at 11:17 AM

When a narcissist is attacked, he needs to find “strokes” somewhere or things get ugly. His sense of self basically crumbles apart. That’s why he went to NY. His worshippers, who although they are rich are also ignorant and low- info people, will accept everything he says and adore him without question. That’s why he can’t stop campaigning. He is too psychologically fragile to handle criticism in any other way beside this lash out at his ‘enemies’ then seek validation pattern. If his worshippers turn on him the meltdown will be epic. It will not end well.

Boudica on May 14, 2013 at 11:17 AM

If his worshippers turn on him the meltdown will be epic. It will not end well.

Maybe turn Nero on us. Let the Republic burn. If Barry can’t have it, nobody can.

hawkeye54 on May 14, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Wow. I knew Rush Limbaugh was powerful but THAT powerful? Apparently, I didn’t know anything. Imagine that. One guy on a radio network can cancel out all that cheerleading going on in the LSM. Now that’s real power.

But, wait, I thought it was Fox News? Or was it George Bush? It’s getting hard to keep all these scapegoats separate.

prairiemain on May 14, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Rush Limbaugh? Does one man bother them that much? Do they hate dissent that much? Does it occur to the freak Obama & other leftist freaks that they are neurotically fixating their hate?

arand on May 14, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Seriously? Rush Limbaugh? Limbaugh is nobody. What is Limbaugh’s audience? Yes Limbuagh has some devoted followers but I don’t see it being impactful at all.

terryannonline on May 13, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Terryan, various accounts from different sides of the political spectrum put it at between 15 and 30 million.

All of cable news together is not more than 5 million.

Add to this, there is one person in the whitehouse who appears to be a big Rush listener, because he keeps mentioning him.

Seriously, Terryan, you should spend some more time on-line, checking what you write before you write it.

virgo on May 14, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Just one loud voice of dissent on the air waves has the means to cause a chain reaction that threatens to unravel the very fabric of their space time continuum.

hawkeye54 on May 14, 2013 at 11:50 AM

About 10 days ago I was discussing Benghazi with someone and I said that by the time it was over they’d find a way to blame it on Rush. Hmmm …

stukinIL4now on May 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Adam blamed god;
Hitler blamed the Jews:
Obama blames “scapegoat de jour”

Don L on May 14, 2013 at 12:33 PM

stukinIL4now on May 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM

And Big Sis is collecting billions of rounds of ammo — hmmmmm.

prairiemain on May 14, 2013 at 12:50 PM

stukinIL4now on May 14, 2013 at 12:19 PM

And Big Sis is collecting billions of rounds of ammo — hmmmmm.

Big Sis doesn’t necessarily have to use ‘em. As long as she has ‘em….we don’t.

If they can’t deny us our guns, they can at least try to deny us the ammo.

hawkeye54 on May 14, 2013 at 12:53 PM

In the search for truth, all we hear fom the leader of the free world is lies. I imagine that Rush Limbaugh will be audited by the IRS again this year.

savage24 on May 14, 2013 at 6:20 PM