Video: Obamacare will improve… marriages?

posted at 1:01 pm on May 11, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

This is one of those fairly short hits which I’m forced to leave for the readers to evaluate. Sometimes there doesn’t seem to be much to say the face of staggering… I don’t even have the words. Congresswoman Janice Hahn weighed in during Thursday’s Small Business subcommittee hearing on Health and Technology in Washington with some thoughts on why Obamacare will be improve the overall quality of… marriage. (Found through RealClearPolitics) It’s not even a minute long, so just click play.

“It’s an interesting angle, to talk about people who really only have jobs for the health insurance as being one angle to that. I had a friend who got married to the wrong person just so she could have heath insurance. So, we’ll also have a lot of less bad marriages as a result of this.”

I actually know a couple of people who have taken jobs they really weren’t wild about (or stayed in ones which weren’t panning out) who cited employer provided health coverage as a factor. But if there’s an epidemic of people out there running off to get married for that reason, one would think we’d have heard more about it. But hey… Obamacare will at least lower the cost of premiums for everyone, right? And if it can halt the rise of the oceans, who’s to say that it won’t halt the rise of bad marriages?

You go, Congresswoman Hahn. Speak truth to power.

Comments

ENOUGH!

nonpartisan on May 11, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I cant stop the LOL.

bazil9 on May 11, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Divorce lawyers hardest hit.

locomotivebreath1901 on May 11, 2013 at 1:08 PM

What kind of gold digging miscreants is she hanging around with anyway? Not that marriages of convenience haven’t existed long before the United States became the United States though. That clip should be used as a campaign ad for her opponent in the next election in her district.

On a side note, I have a friend who got married to the wrong person, just so he could have regular sex with a stripper. Does that mean we should make prostitution legal, in order to solve that swath of bad marriages?

Flyovercountry on May 11, 2013 at 1:08 PM

It`s like Congress has been inbreeding for the past 50 yrs. or have picked up a lead paint eating habit.

ThePrez on May 11, 2013 at 1:09 PM

rotf…
Figures she would have a kook ball friend.
What a heart wrenching story. /

bazil9 on May 11, 2013 at 1:09 PM

The White House is marking Mother’s Day, which is this Sunday, by celebrating free birth control provided by Obamacare http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/wh-marks-mothers-day-celebrating-free-birth-control_722143.html
Doesn’t this remind you of the snake oil salesmen who used to sell tonics that could cure everything from the common cold to leprosy. What’s actually worse is that people are dumb enough to actually fall for it.

bandutski on May 11, 2013 at 1:11 PM

ThePrez on May 11, 2013 at 1:09 PM

lol..
Dude..sometimes all I can do is laugh..even in serious times.
The only way to not go mad.

bazil9 on May 11, 2013 at 1:12 PM

They come running just as fast as they can.
Cause every girl crazy bout my health care plan.

*Ed plays air guitar*

Paul-Cincy on May 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Awesome.

Ed Morrissey on May 10, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Because this is just too awesome to leave only in the Green Room.

Count to 10 on May 11, 2013 at 1:15 PM

The idiocy of Janice Hahn surprises nobody from the Los Angeles area.

Mark1971 on May 11, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Because this is just too awesome to leave only in the Green Room.

Count to 10 on May 11, 2013 at 1:15 PM

hahahaha….loved it.
New pick up line..
Hey baby..I got killer health insurance..wink*

bazil9 on May 11, 2013 at 1:19 PM

for anyone interested, Michelle Bachman won the 2013 Craziest Congressman Award on the Bill Maher show

nonpartisan on May 11, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I had a friend who got married to the wrong person just so she could have heath insurance AND a McMansion, a Mercedes Benz, a pool, a sauna, tennis courts, club membership, a summer place on the Vineyard, a masseuse, a tax consultant and a therapist. Why settle for just health insurance, honey? Use that money-maker.

rhombus on May 11, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I will also bring up that there is something fundamentally wrong with the concept of “married to the wrong person”. It’s the kind of sentiment that completely embraces cereal divorce.

Count to 10 on May 11, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Damn babe..I was just laid off..COBRA Premiums..can’t afford’em.

Enter>>divorce court.

bazil9 on May 11, 2013 at 1:20 PM

embraces cereal divorce.

Count to 10 on May 11, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Fruit Loops or Frosted Flakes?

bazil9 on May 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Well sure it can improve marriages, but can it get out grass stain?

onomo on May 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM

embraces cereal divorce.

Count to 10 on May 11, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Fruit Loops or Frosted Flakes?

bazil9 on May 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM

My bad spelling strikes again!
If it wasn’t for spell check, I’d be totally unintelligible, instead of just a sucker for wrong word errors.

Count to 10 on May 11, 2013 at 1:25 PM

G.O.V.E.R.N.M.E.N.T. can fix all.

mjbrooks3 on May 11, 2013 at 1:26 PM

bazil9 on May 11, 2013 at 1:22 PM
My bad spelling strikes again!

Count to 10 on May 11, 2013 at 1:25 PM

No worries..I do it all the time.
Was teasing you. Was funny.
I am not a spelling Nazi like some at HA.

bazil9 on May 11, 2013 at 1:29 PM

It’s amazing to me that we have to live in fear of these people’s decisions.

jawkneemusic on May 11, 2013 at 1:30 PM

No worries..I do it all the time.
Was teasing you. Was funny.
I am not a spelling Nazi like some at HA.

bazil9 on May 11, 2013 at 1:29 PM

So, in hind sight, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Count to 10 on May 11, 2013 at 1:32 PM

As an insurance broker..I find this beyond amusing.
There are plenty of shady ways her friend could have achieved coverage..without marriage..
and plenty of honest ways to purchase coverage..but didn’t.
Her “friend” is an idiot..no wonder they are friends.

bazil9 on May 11, 2013 at 1:32 PM

So she hangs out with hookers. Got it.

WhatSlushfund on May 11, 2013 at 1:35 PM

ENOUGH!nonpartisan on May 11, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Enough what?

Lmao…I don’t know what you mean but is this a sign that YOU have had enough of the bullcrap that you love so much? O-0

Scrumpy on May 11, 2013 at 1:35 PM

bazil9 on May 11, 2013 at 1:32 PM
You are on a roll!! laughing so much my sides hurt!!!! :-D

Scrumpy on May 11, 2013 at 1:36 PM

@Scrump… :)

bazil9 on May 11, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Hey scrump..support ssm..
I got an awesome plan. Dental and vision too!
*wink
I may be the wrong person but who cares.

bazil9 on May 11, 2013 at 1:41 PM

They come running just as fast as they can.
Cause every girl crazy bout my health care plan.

*Ed plays air guitar*

Paul-Cincy on May 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Awesome.

Ed Morrissey on May 10, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Because this is just too awesome to leave only in the Green Room.

Count to 10 on May 11, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Ed actually used this on his show yesterday! Sung “cause every girl crazy bout a health care plan” over the refrain, and air-guitared it out at the end. Which was … awesome. You can imagine! Cause it’s a great tune to air-guitar to. Made my day.

/my brush with greatness

Paul-Cincy on May 11, 2013 at 1:42 PM

nonpartisan on May 11, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Well, when the field is limited to only Republican Congressmen, and judged on a purely partisan perspective, that’s hardly a surprise.

Count to 10 on May 11, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Hahn is a certified moron as is the other politician in her family, the exmayor of LA, Jimmy.

Blake on May 11, 2013 at 1:45 PM

nonpartisan on May 11, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I think Bill Maher was already aware of it.

I can’t imagine who else would be interested.

There Goes the Neighborhood on May 11, 2013 at 1:48 PM

ObamaCare, like Global Warming; ain’t nothing it can’t do!

GarandFan on May 11, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Her friend is an idiot.

Liam on May 11, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Her philosophy is the more she babbles the smarter she is.

pat on May 11, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I’m wondering if she got her notes on Obamacare mixed in with her notes on the amnesty bill.

I had a friend who got married to the wrong person just so she could have heath insurance get a green card.

Left Coast Right Mind on May 11, 2013 at 1:54 PM

It’s the kind of sentiment that completely embraces cereal divorce.

Count to 10 on May 11, 2013 at 1:20 PM

The way our nation’s moral structure had deteriorated, I would respell that to read serial divorce.

Don L on May 11, 2013 at 1:54 PM

The stench of desperation is strong here. Even though they haven’t invented scent for the intertubes yet.

rbj on May 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM

You don’t have to be a complete idiot to be a Democrat, but it helps.

Of course, you could always also be Democrat by being a criminal, a marxist, or a totalitarian. But most are just idiots who supply the votes.

Patty Murray is the Chair-idiot of the Senate Budget Committee. Think about it. This ditz can’t count to eleven without taking off her tennis shoes.

Adjoran on May 11, 2013 at 2:01 PM

She forgot to get the other side of her hair cut.

IronDioPriest on May 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM

It will only improve gay marriages, though.

The Rogue Tomato on May 11, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I have a country that elected the wrong president…just for the healthcare.

gregbert on May 11, 2013 at 2:23 PM

She forgot to get the other side of her hair cut.

IronDioPriest on May 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM

The ditz misunderstood the ’50% Off’ sign.

slickwillie2001 on May 11, 2013 at 2:25 PM

There must be a once in a century convergence of beyond the pale stupidity in the halls of government…and with the people that voted them into office.

albill on May 11, 2013 at 2:34 PM

So who is the cheap, stupid prostitute friend of Congresscritter Hahn’s? Or is this one of those “I have a friend who …” things that leftists tell their psychiatrists?

If this chick got married just for health insurance then she’s probably blown guys for candy bars – the little bite size ones, at that.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 11, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Actually those type of marriages are probably pretty good… Almost no expectations (just keep the damn job).

RalphyBoy on May 11, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Don L on May 11, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I’m gonna have to go with Count on this one. The haircut and babble? Miss thang very possibly fell off the front of a box of Fruity Pebbles. Slid off, looked at her gold digger “friend” and said, “BamBam!”
Or to jump context, given her Fluke like babble, maybe we’re dealing with a “surreal” divorce. To match the dung and doo.

onomo on May 11, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I really would like a reporter to call these liberals out and ask for names. This false “appeal to authority” of a mythical friend….such logic fail.

{{Godzilla Facepalm}}

ProfShadow on May 11, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Who forgot to trim up her hair on the right side. The Hahn family, LA’s gift to CA.

arnold ziffel on May 11, 2013 at 3:02 PM

So, we’ll also have a lot of less bad marriages as a result of this.”

I think she actually meant to say:

So, we’ll also have [fewer] bad marriages as a result of this.”

Which, if ObamaCare social engineering actually worked, would be true. The problem is that governmental social engineering is nearly always a disaster. Once in a while it is merely a failure and waste of money. And once in a great while it achieves something inadvertantly.

Fenris on May 11, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Hey ladies, just marry Abdullah from Saudi Arabia, and I guarantee health care will be the last concern on your minds…
/s

Marcola on May 11, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Patent Tonic!

Cures all ills!

Exceeds Swamp Root and Indian Kickapoo Sagwa in effects!

Snake Oil Remedy – Satisfaction Guaranteed!

novaculus on May 11, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I Hope It Falls.

Bmore on May 11, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I am sure a 50% increase in premiums and IRS fines will also do wonders for a marriage.

If you know anyone who voted for Hahn, punch them in the head.

Odie1941 on May 11, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I bet Michelle Obama is pissed Hahn outed her.

Odie1941 on May 11, 2013 at 4:16 PM

The exchanges are supposed to go online in six months and it looks like they will be a massive failure. The strategy is clearly to talk up RatEaredCowardCare in any way possible. It saves people from marrying the wrong people this week. Next week it will be hailed as responsible for keeping Guam from tipping over or something similarly stupid.

Happy Nomad on May 11, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I bet Michelle Obama is pissed Hahn outed her.

Odie1941 on May 11, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Heh! Though to be fair, parasites like the Obamas and Clintons have a business arrangement and not a real marriage. The rat-eared coward gets the Presidency by having a spouse and a couple of worthless mini-moochers as props. The shaved Yeti gets a lot of free stuff courtesy of the American taxpayer.

Happy Nomad on May 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM

We have health insurance through our jobs BECAUSE of government.

They had a wage freeze during WWII – but the government allowed employers to offer increased benefits to increase compensation. Yes, government has been screwing our lives for a long time.

Health insurance should work the same way other insurance works. To protect you against catastrophic financial loss. The way it works now is pre-paid care.

LilyBart on May 11, 2013 at 4:36 PM

So, if we legalize gay marriage will she be okay with a bunch of straight guys marrying their best friend purely for tax benefits?

ButterflyDragon on May 11, 2013 at 4:50 PM

We go for the buy-up plan – always. My wife likes it that way better.

ericdijon on May 11, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Obamacare will improve… marriages?

…she meant… geh ones…

KOOLAID2 on May 11, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Since employers will be dropping health insurance coverage and paying the fines (er, taxes according to John Roberts) because of Obamacare, people will be seeking jobs that pay them enough that they can buy their own health care.

The only way to have health insurance would then be to marry a Congresscritter, because they have the best health insurance in the country. But since there are only 535 of them and some of them are already married, what’s a single woman to do?

Of course, the new Argentinian Mrs. Sanford now has health insurance that many American citizens can’t afford…

Steve Z on May 11, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Yesssss …. the claim that it will make marriages better, is actually TRUE. Now both, Husband and Wife, will have common enemy !!!!!!!!!

aniladesai on May 11, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Yep, another clueless California Democrat.

Amazingoly on May 11, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Snake Oil Remedy – Satisfaction Guaranteed!

novaculus on May 11, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Sums up 80% of all libtard ideas. And the other 20% is “because fairness”.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

MelonCollie on May 12, 2013 at 12:08 PM