Chris Christie: “I’m a damn good Republican”

posted at 1:21 pm on May 10, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Yesterday, Ed predicted that, if/when Christie decides to throw his hat into the 2016 presidential ring, it’s definitely not going to be a cake walk for him. His gubernatorial election this November looks like it’s going to be a blowout, barring any crazy incidents, but all of that northeastern, oh-so-moderate centrism may be a tougher sell nationally after Massachusetts Republican Mitt Romney’s failed bid. What’s more, though he’ll almost certainly try to shift rightwards at least a little after his election, conservatives might not be so easily mollified, and although he’s certainly got the media star-power, he’s going to have some serious competition from a deep bench of conservative up-and-comers like Scott Walker.

Christie, however, is apparently feeling pretty good about the whole thing (not that he’d say anything else at this point), via Mediaite:

Williams asked Christie if he does decide to run in 2016, “what Republican Party do you see that would support your candidacy right now? How would you survive a primary process in the current set up of the Republican Party?”

Christie did not indicate whether or not he would run, but he did attempt to affirm his conservative credentials. “I’m a damn good Republican,” he said. “But that does not mean that I would ever put a party before my state or a party before my country.”

Comments

That may be true, but you’re a damn poor conservative Fatty McFatty.

NotCoach on May 10, 2013 at 1:21 PM

But he’s an even better Democrat.

Liam on May 10, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Damn svelte, too.

Christien on May 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Maybe B.O. will endorse him. The picture of them as best buds after the hurricane was sorta like Laurel & Hardy.

3dpuzzman on May 10, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Note to Christie:

Republican doesn’t equal Conservative.

I hate Republicans, as much as I do those in the Communist Party.

Why?

Because both sets of political pigs in perpetuity work to dictate to us – and, sometimes, they do so hand-in-hand.

The only thing that they disagree on, is who should be doing the dictating.

You are not a Conservative, I am … so F you.

OhEssYouCowboys on May 10, 2013 at 1:27 PM

We know he’s got some special luv for Kenyans.

a capella on May 10, 2013 at 1:27 PM

“I am a damn good Republican…. for a liberal, east coast, country clubber.”

Warner Todd Huston on May 10, 2013 at 1:28 PM

That’s the problem. We need a conservative and he clings to politics as usual.

DanMan on May 10, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I’m a (condemn) good Republican

Freudian slip.

Why does he feel condemned?

itsnotaboutme on May 10, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Yeah, he’s a Republican like Spector and McCain. Mark my words – he will run as VP with Clinton at the top of the ticket.

NotEasilyFooled on May 10, 2013 at 1:29 PM

It’s good to see him slimmed down to a good fighting weight.

portlandon on May 10, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Chris Christie: “I’m a damn good Republican”Chris Christie: “I’m a damn good Republican” competitive eater.

Gatsu on May 10, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I still don’t think he runs, but I wonder where party stalwarts would fall if both he and Rubio do. You also have the possibility of of Rubio, Paul, and someone else (Cruz, maybe) splitting up the vote to allow Christie to grab it.

changer1701 on May 10, 2013 at 1:30 PM

The only thing he has done is tell the teachers that NJ is out of money, that is not conservative. He is a progressive “big” gov’t guy.

tim c on May 10, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Chris Christie: “I’m a damn good Republican”

Well, by today’s standards, maybe, quite possible.

But…a Conservative?

Not even close.

[Stylistic change for you, Governor: "Damn good Republican" should read "G*d Damned Republican."]

coldwarrior on May 10, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Funny, but totally appropriate background on the photo.

coldwarrior on May 10, 2013 at 1:34 PM

I have a feeling that he got the lap band done so that he could look attractive to Bruce Springsteen.

GhoulAid on May 10, 2013 at 1:35 PM

And Pelosi/Biden are good Catholics.

RickB on May 10, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Oh, no you are not! You are not even a good American, after that kiss a$$
performance of yours with President Obama right before the 2012 election.

Amjean on May 10, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I’m still guessing that if he runs it will be as a third-party candidate. Too squishy on social issues to attract Republicans. Not enough of a spendthrift to attract Dems. But he could well attract enough stupid people to make it a successful run.

Happy Nomad on May 10, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Yeah, but you’re not a good conservative.

phatfawzi on May 10, 2013 at 1:40 PM

At least he’s honest.

GarandFan on May 10, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Hey Jerk from New Jersey: Good luck winning over that base.

beatcanvas on May 10, 2013 at 1:42 PM

And Benedict Arnold was a damned good American…

voiceofreason on May 10, 2013 at 1:43 PM

That’s the problem.

rogerb on May 10, 2013 at 1:45 PM

If you have to say it out loud…..?

Delsa on May 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Has he won Ann Coulter back yet? Whatever Christie’s saying now, that lap band thing might be a deal breaker for Ann.

jon1979 on May 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM

So what does that say for the standards of the Republican party?

dentarthurdent on May 10, 2013 at 1:48 PM

He is, duhhhh.

So are McCain, Rubio, Flake and Toomey.

Schadenfreude on May 10, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Over in NJ 13 we’re going to give Christie’s machine a run for its money. In spite of a “no challenges” edict quietly handed down, Republicans for Conservative Leadership is primarying several of the entrenched lifers in State and County government. The PJ Tatler reporter on the top of the ticket, Leigh-Ann Bellew, on April 29.

These are people to support.

njcommuter on May 10, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Chris Christie: “I’m a damn good Republican fat RINO”

FIFY

Ace ODale on May 10, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Gov. Christie is a good Republican–for New Jersey. His willingness to impose fiscal discipline was a welcome change from Lost-a-Billion Corzine and Gay American McGreevy, so he gets support from lots of independent, persuadable voters in New Jersey, where his brash speaking style fits in with the mindset of most New Jersey voters.

Gov. Christie is not a good Republican candidate for President. To win the Presidency, a candidate must win states like Florida, Ohio, Virginia, Wisconsin, and Colorado, where voters are more conservative, and might be turned off by Christie’s bluntness, where Scott Walker’s policies and speaking style would be better appreciated. I’m not saying that Scott Walker is our best candidate in 2016 (lots of things can happen between now and then), but Christie should focus on his state, not the Presidency.

Steve Z on May 10, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Apparently the lap band is restricting blood flow to the brain.

DDay on May 10, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Speaking of Rubio…

Do you know who is behind Americans for Conservative Direction? They are running ads in Chicago.

Our Board

Former Governor Haley Barbour served as the 62nd governor of Mississippi from 2004 to 2012 and served as Chairman of the Republican National Committee in the mid ’90s.

Sally Bradshaw worked as former Florida Governor Jeb Bush’s Chief of Staff from 1999-2001, and served as a Co-Chair of the Republican National Committee’s Growth and Opportunity Project.

Joel Kaplan is currently Vice President of US Public Policy at Facebook. Joel also served as Deputy Chief of Staff to former President George W. Bush.

Dan Senor is former chief advisor to Representative Paul Ryan on the Romney-Ryan 2012 campaign

Rob Jesmer worked as the former Executive Director at the National Republican Senatorial Committee from 2008 – 2012.

Huh.

Fallon on May 10, 2013 at 2:00 PM

It’s good to see him slimmed down to a good fighting weight.

portlandon on May 10, 2013 at 1:30 PM

THREAD WINNER LMAO!

ToddPA on May 10, 2013 at 2:01 PM

He looks like he ate a good Republican.

SurferDoc on May 10, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Chris Christie: “I’m a damn good Republican”

‘… and I’m smart enough, and rich enough… and, darn it, people like me.’

Chris Stewart Smalley Christie

thatsafactjack on May 10, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Chris Christie: “I’m a damn good Republican”

He looks like he ate a good Republican.

SurferDoc on May 10, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Wellll – supposedly, you are what you eat…../

dentarthurdent on May 10, 2013 at 2:04 PM

That’s a damn good chair!

revolutionismyname on May 10, 2013 at 2:04 PM

That’s a damn good chair!
revolutionismyname on May 10, 2013 at 2:04 PM

LOL
My new vote for threadwinner.

dentarthurdent on May 10, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Nah, you’re a democrat. If you run for president you will lose.

dogsoldier on May 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Chris Christie: “I’m a damn good Republican”

‘I’m not much different from Andrew Cuomo. I probably agree with him on 98% of the issues.’ ”

Yeah, no. You’re about as republican as Charlie Crist and Michael Bloomberg and look how THAT turned out.

Unfortunately, he will probably still be a front runner for 2016 if the pattern holds.

AllahsNippleHair on May 10, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Chris Christie: “I’m a damn good Republican”

AHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. AHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Compared to who?

PappyD61 on May 10, 2013 at 2:09 PM

“I’m a damned good Republican” belongs in the history books alongside “I am not a crook!”

The extra mileage by blustering bullyism is astounding!

Don L on May 10, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Alright, I’ll be the buzzkill…

I would not likely support a national candidacy for Mr Christie if one viable conservative were to run against him, but lets leave the “jokes” about his weight to the people I would expect that from, the Left.

jjjdad on May 10, 2013 at 2:12 PM

JohnGalt23: No, you’re not.

And it pains me to say that to a fellow Blue Hen…

JohnGalt23 on May 10, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Sadly, when he runs as the darling of the elites, there will be minions here chanting the old, “But the other side will win if you stay home” BS.

Don L on May 10, 2013 at 2:13 PM

You’re doing a good job in NJ. Stay a while and keep making them more financially stable. You won’t appeal to anyone outside of the tri-state area, and even they will vote for the declared Democrat instead of the Democrat-lite.

DrAllecon on May 10, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Chris Christie: “I’m a damn good Republican”

Yes, if you happen to be a liberal Democrat than Chris Christie is a a “damn good Republican”.

From Allahpundit at Hot Air on February 19, 2013:
Chris Christie: I agree with Andrew Cuomo on probably 98% of the issues

RJL on May 10, 2013 at 2:17 PM

If we’re talking about The Stupid Party which is full of RINOs… then yes, he is a “good” Republican.

Ukiah on May 10, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Dream on Chris,possibly more like a Progressive Republican Statist ?

Sandybourne on May 10, 2013 at 2:18 PM

changer1701 on May 10, 2013 at 1:30 PM

With Rubio…. Or shudders… Jeb Bush…. Christie’s main crime is against the establishment Republicans who he gleefully threw under the bus in October.

Illinidiva on May 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM

changer1701 on May 10, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Illinidiva on May 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Rubio threw the tea party, and other conservatives that helped get him elected, under the bus for John McCain and illegal aliens, so there’s that.

AllahsNippleHair on May 10, 2013 at 2:26 PM

And soon to be an even better Democrat.

albill on May 10, 2013 at 2:27 PM

“I’m a damn good Republican,”

You’re damned. That’s for sure.

LOL. You spent your time holding hands with the biggest enemy that America has ever faced – during the last week of the friggin election. You are scum – a lowlife, despicable scumbag.

Christie the Vichy. Not only would I not vote for you, I would never vote for anyone even remotely connected to you.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 10, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Illinidiva on May 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Christie’s main crime was allying himself with the most anti-American sack of sh!t America has ever had to face. Christsie is the lowest of slime and a traitor of the highest order.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 10, 2013 at 2:30 PM

By East Coast standards Cristie may be a good Republican. I just wish people would stop trying to sell him as a Conservative. He may have some conservative positions but IMO he is a regular Republican who would throw the Right wing of the GOP under the bus if he was sure he could attract more Independents.

katiejane on May 10, 2013 at 2:32 PM

the first two comments covered it for me, thanks guys.

Don’t want to be a fat man,
People would think that I was
Just good fun.
Would rather be a thin man,
I am so glad to go on being one.
Too much to carry around with you,
No chance of finding a woman who
Will love you in the morning and all the night time too.
- Jethro Tull

kirkill on May 10, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Somewhat OT, but Rubio keeps getting brought up.

Bold. Very Conservative.

The Rubio immigration ad is being played over and over during Rush.

Is it playing in other markets or just Chicago?

Fallon on May 10, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I still don’t think he runs, …

changer1701 on May 10, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I guarantee he doesn’t run, he probably rarely walks… ;-)

kirkill on May 10, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Chris Christie: “I’m a damn good Republican”

Maggie Thatcher: “If you have to remind people you are, you aren’t.”

s_dog on May 10, 2013 at 2:36 PM

“…it’s definitely not going to be a cake walk for him.”

We see what you did there, Erika

CycloneCDB on May 10, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Fab establishment representative.

Amaze us with your undying paternalism!

tom daschle concerned on May 10, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Christi/Rubio 2016 on the Green ticket.

crash72 on May 10, 2013 at 2:38 PM

The Rubio immigration ad is being played over and over during Rush.

Is it playing in other markets or just Chicago?

Fallon on May 10, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I got it here in Dallas. I found it creepy.

It’s good to see that the GOP isn’t letting the Dems corner the market on government propaganda.

CycloneCDB on May 10, 2013 at 2:38 PM

“But that does not mean that I would ever put a party before my state or a party before my country.” – Christie

That’s because he’s a total progressive, and it’s all about bigger, bigger Fed G’vt. Spend like you are at an all you can eat buffet!

Nice how it’s in front of a Clam Bar/Steak House/Pizza joint!

kirkill on May 10, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Besides, what’s he doing to expand conservatism throughout the state? A good leader not only leads, but he builds the structure of the organization to succeed him. Are Republicans winning lower level offices in NJ? Are they taking over county seats, town seats, and the legislature? Is the state turning purple? Its not enough to win elections. We have to hold the offices through the cycles, to implement lasting change.
And its not just Christie. Is Jindal doing this? Perry? In NY we saw Pataki and Guilliani did nothing to expand conservatism or Republicans in the state, and after they were gone, the libs just moved right back in.

Iblis on May 10, 2013 at 2:42 PM

If he’s the nominee, I ain’t voting for him. The Democrats could run Jane Fu**in’ Fonda and the ghost of Ho Chi Minh and I still ain’t voting for him.

And fu** you, Republicans. Wake up and smell the the already stale disgust.

M240H on May 10, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I got it here in Dallas. I found it creepy.

CycloneCDB on May 10, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Thanks. I found it creepy, too.

Fallon on May 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I’m a damn good Republican,

The traitor doth protest too much, methinks.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on May 10, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I’m a damn good Republican,

Throw your fellow R’s under the bus a few more times so we can be sure.

LetsBfrank on May 10, 2013 at 3:33 PM

By who’s standards? moobama?

has anyone else noticed that Cristie’s fall from grace coincides with the demise of the Twinkie.

jomondo44 on May 10, 2013 at 3:50 PM

The Rubio immigration ad is being played over and over during Rush.

Is it playing in other markets or just Chicago?

Fallon on May 10, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Yeah they’re playing that nonsense during Rush here in NW Oregon. Several times today and earlier in the week. I thought it was some Rush parody first time I heard it. Rubio is a joke. The national convention last year telegraphed how the GOP was going to treat conservatives/tea party and anyone not dancing a beltway tune.

oryguncon on May 10, 2013 at 4:38 PM

RINO christie wouldn’t know a real Republican if he accidentally sat on him with his fat-A.

RINO christie wouldn’t know a real Republican if he mistakenly ate him for a snack between snacks.

TeaPartyNation on May 10, 2013 at 5:32 PM

You maybe a good Repub- but you still won’t get my vote if your nominated for the POTUS

hawkman on May 10, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Translation: I am a damn good Centrist/Democrat. I am willing to throw The Republicans under the bus if it means winning the Presidency.”

Theophile on May 10, 2013 at 9:44 PM

What a load of crap!!! the only thing is a good RINO

grapeknutz on May 11, 2013 at 3:54 PM