Video [fixed]: Late-term abortionist says “It’s like putting meat in a crock pot”

posted at 8:41 am on May 8, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Not just any late-term abortionist, either, but LeRoy Carhart, one of the most celebrated of his profession.  Carhart has been featured in pro-abortion literature and film and appeared on television — or at least he used to make those appearances, until a woman died after one of his abortions earlier this year.  Live Action sent two undercover reporters into Carhart’s clinic.  Both were told that the baby would be killed within the womb and left there for two or three days, which would make the baby like “meat in a crock pot.”

From the detailed Live Action report on their Carhart investigation:

He casually described the abortion as a “shot into the fetus” to ensure that “[i]t’ll be dead for two days before you deliver it.” He told her the injection also causes the baby to “[get] soft, like mushy [makes squishing sound], so you push it through… so it’s like putting meat in a crock pot.” If this method is unsuccessful, he would  have to remove the baby “in pieces,” using, he joked, “a pickaxe, a drill bit.”

Both investigators asked if Carhart’s abortions “hurt” the babies. He replied by arbitrarily inventing his own parameters for when a fetus feels pain. “so, after about two to three weeks after birth… I think then they have pretty good knowledge of pain, but before that I’m not so sure that they do.” In fact, there is wide consensus in the scientific community that babies feel acute pain by 20 weeks of gestation.

Carhart wasn’t exactly honest about the risk of his procedure, either:

Finally, Carhart blatantly lied to both our investigators about the danger of his abortions, coercing his patients into a risky procedure. “I’ve never had to send anybody to the hospital.” Less than a year before, his staff were forced to call 911 after he injured a woman in an abortion. Our second investigator asked Carhart if she should call an ambulance if she goes into labor in her hotel room. With callous disregard for her safety, Carhart replied, “…don’t call 911… you’re gonna be within 10 minutes or 15 minutes of a clinic, just get in the car. Call me.”

Just six weeks earlier, he had ignored his patient Jennifer Morbelli’s attempts to contact him before she went into cardiac arrest and died at the local hospital. More injuries probably remain undocumented, as Carhart instructs his patients, “If you feel that something is wrong and you need to be seen do not go to the ER, call and we will meet you at the clinic.” He would rather endanger his patients than reveal his malpractice to emergency physicians. Carhart also told our investigator, “[T]he risks at… 36 weeks doing an abortion are still about
less than 10% what they are with childbirth.” Actually, abortions after 20 weeks result in 6 times more maternal deaths than childbirth.

Yes, but that information might interfere with Carhart’s cash flow, and his celebrity status.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

It ain’t just Dems. Libertarians will say the same thing, and sometimes even louder and more shamelessly.

gryphon202 on May 8, 2013 at 10:35 AM

DemocRATs…libertarians…cut from the same cloth…with the same aims in mind…and the same moral standards.

There’s very little difference between the two groups.

(Not that Republicans – to be fair – are all that much better.)

Solaratov on May 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Go to an abortion clinic with your checkbook. Ask the clients how much they want to have the child to carry it to term let you adopt it. Free market solution.

Now start spinning and making excuses to yourself on why you will not do it.

And you people who knocked Goldwater. Right, he sure wasn’t perfect.

We have been blessed with the perfect Governor Palin, President Reagan and Rushbo since then. They have no faults. Right.

IlikedAUH2O on May 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I already did adopt one of those “unwanted” babies. Cost me and my husband a bundle, too, to get a license and adopt through an adoption agency. He is 18 now. You want to tell him he should have been aborted instead?

There are many other couples on waiting lists for infants. They place ads in newspapers every single day, begging for pregnant women to allow them the privilege of adopting their babies. Why do you think abortion clinics fight so hard against referring women to adoption agencies and crisis pregnancy centers, genius?

JannyMae on May 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Iliked had to go you know.

mwbri on May 8, 2013 at 12:17 PM

JannyMae on May 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM

God bless you.

dominigan on May 8, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I have been a long-time lurker at Hot Air and rarely comment. But on this I can’t keep silent.

And friend of mine lost a baby (a girl) at 36 weeks; she said the baby was dead inside her for 2 days before she was able to deliver her. My friend assured me that her daughter was NOT squishy.

This whole thing is beyond monstrous. This is an evil that runs so deep in this country that the media doesn’t even cover it because it goes against their own precious agenda. What kind of morally bereft people don’t bring this to the surface…

…a spotlight is a harsh disinfectant.

I used to consider myself pro-choice but my views have shifted nearly 180 degrees in the last decade. Even so – how can anyone on either side of the issue NOT see what Carhart and Gosnell have done as purely the most evil acts of so-called physicians. These men, and the countless others like them that we know are out there, deserve a special place in a special circle of hell where those precious babies can haunt and taunt them – for eternity plus one day.

KrisinNE on May 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM

There’s very little difference between the two groups.

(Not that Republicans – to be fair – are all that much better.)

Solaratov on May 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM

You couldn’t be more wrong. Dems support abortion on eugenics grounds. As a Libertarian, I say that it is not the government’s job to regulate a medical procedure. If you want to outlaw abortion, legally define when life begins, then prosecute abortion after that time as murder.

tdarrington on May 8, 2013 at 12:31 PM

God bless you.

dominigan on May 8, 2013 at 12:23 PM

No. God bless my son’s birth mother, who chose life.

JannyMae on May 8, 2013 at 12:34 PM

JannyMae on May 8, 2013 at 12:09 PM

One step further, I would think the gay community would be lining up to adopt children by now…or should be.

Protecting the lives of the unborn should be a civil rights issue too, if not an absolute moral issue. Right?

HoosierStateofMind on May 8, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Could be. One of them said last week that killing a baby was no different than killing a tree to make a table.

slickwillie2001 on May 8, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I thought killing trees was bad?

Chris of Rights on May 8, 2013 at 9:06 AM

These are the same people who would be heartbroken if the eggs in a bird’s nest were disturbed. And outraged if it was the nest of an endangered species.

cheeflo on May 8, 2013 at 12:44 PM

tdarrington on May 8, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Life begins at conception. How’s that?
Abortion isn’t a ‘medical procedure’-it’s infanticide.*

annoyinglittletwerp on May 8, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Is that Armin’s or thuja’s Dad?

I am afraid that we are going to find out why America is not mentioned in the Book of Revelation.

God help us.

kingsjester on May 8, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Probably his sister-in-law’s husband:

I don’t have any financial stake in abortion, but I do have a personal motivation, yes. My sister-in-law and her husband own and operate a small practice. They are some of the finest, most upstanding people you’d ever hope to meet. They bust their asses to provide quality service to their patients at an affordable price. They are not millionaires. They abide by all applicable federal, state and local laws. And I’ve seen first-hand the kind of threats, insinuations and smears they have to put up with from people like you and other “pro-lifers” for having the audacity to provide a legal service that people are willing to pay for.

Armin Tamzarian on May 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM

cptacek on May 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM

gryphon202 on May 8, 2013 at 10:35 AM

There’s very little difference between the two groups.

(Not that Republicans – to be fair – are all that much better.)

Solaratov on May 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM

The ignorance is strong with these two.

Resist We Much on May 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM

That is the most disgusting thing I’ve heard in some time. It’s weird, because I am generally pro-choice in the early going,(though I would certainly draw the line at the third trimester). I have shifted quite a bit after three children of my own. When I take a look at Gosnell and Carhart, there is no trace of the kindly, compassionately motivated physician a la “Cider House Rules.” With apologies to John McCain, what I see are the letters “SS.”

Apparently, the profession attracts these types.

Xasprtr on May 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM

The ignorance is strong with these two.

Resist We Much on May 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Not everyone can match you, you know. You really need a kinder, gentler machine hand, you Big Blue Meanie! :-)

Liam on May 8, 2013 at 4:14 PM

machine GUN hand, that is!

Dang!

I kant tipe!

Liam on May 8, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Holy cow! I just saw this covered on Fox, the lady who died from her abortion was over 30 weeks along!!! Oh, Marcus!!!

Cindy Munford on May 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM

If everyone who is pro-murder would just think about it, they would have to come to the conclusion that there is no “magic moment” that life begins. Therefore, conception (duh) has to be that time. Therefore (double duh) do not murder the babies!!

gina4 on May 8, 2013 at 6:31 PM

And, I hope these sting videos paint such a horrid picture of this murderous crowd that all who say “it’s a woman’s body, it’s a woman’s choice” are branded as the wretched, vile and barbaric monsters that they are and they are so shamed that they stop their evil ways. Amen.

gina4 on May 8, 2013 at 6:39 PM

KrisinNE on May 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM
God Bless you. You just described me. Except my story was that my pregnant niece was diagnosed with terminal cancer, and was given the option of abortion, or delaying her life-extending treatment. She chose saving the baby. One day after her diagnosis we went to an Oncologist GYN and saw the baby on a 3-D ultrasound. She was sucking her thumb.
She turns 7 tomorrow.
~tears flowing

sybilll on May 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Satan has been busy hasn’t he? Maybe this guy and Gosnell will be room mates in hell.

Kissmygrits on May 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Goldwater became libertarian. This alienated a lot of people.

Getting emotional about the unborn like most of you do is very admirable but misplaced. And the emotional aspect generates a lot of heat but almost no truth.

I have a challenge for all you pro-life folks.

Now start spinning and making excuses to yourself on why you will not do it.

And you people who knocked Goldwater. Right, he sure wasn’t perfect.

IlikedAUH2O on May 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM

There aren’t enough babies for people to adopt as it is.

So, yes, there are a great many people with their checkbooks out. But that doesn’t do much good when the babies are being aborted.

Alana on May 8, 2013 at 7:46 PM

This is a profoundly ill society.

james23 on May 8, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Special Report tonight talked a little bit about this video tonight and they blurred out the evil abortionist Carhart..kinda makes me mad that they’d do that..they didn’t even mention his name

sadsushi on May 8, 2013 at 8:11 PM

gina4 on May 8, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Cool fantasies of shaming your political opponents, but you do know that far too many people strongly support abortion for your fantasy to come to past?
By the way, my fantasies are of more pleasant things than shaming political opponents.

thuja on May 8, 2013 at 8:20 PM

thuja on May 8, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Figures you’d go for a political angle.
She was referring to ANYONE who holds that view.
Sheesh.

pambi on May 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Now start spinning and making excuses to yourself on why you will not do it.

And you people who knocked Goldwater. Right, he sure wasn’t perfect.

IlikedAUH2O on May 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM

That’s a very entertaining tack for a libertarian to take, in that you are demanding we pay you not to kill another human being.

Especially when that human being exists due to bad choices that you made — which means you are demanding that we pay the consequences for your LACK of responsibility.

Since you have openly stated that you will kill a human being unless you get money, we can call you what you are, which is a blackmailer.

And I will be more than happy to brand all libertarians as irresponsible people whose ranting and screaming is all about avoiding consequences for their behavior.

northdallasthirty on May 8, 2013 at 9:50 PM

As soon as the Dems realize that the kids they are killing are mostly future Democrat voters, Roe v. Wade will be gone.

IlikedAUH2O on May 8, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Naah. They knew that decades ago at the time of Roe v. Wade.

They are importing Mexicans to replace them.

slickwillie2001 on May 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM

All while working to make voting obsolete anyway.

soundingboard on May 9, 2013 at 12:46 AM

KrisinNE on May 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM

They don’t see it because they don’t want to see it. To acknowledge what it truly is would mean they would have to admit that they are not doing the moral thing like they think(have been conditioned to think) they are.
It is the same way the homosexual lobby paints itself to the world in such pleasant-sounding definitions: “Gay”, “GLAAD”, “GLISTEN”, and to top it off, using rainbows as one of their symbols. They do it to hide the truth of a deviant lifestyle from others, and even from themselves.

Sort of the same thing with abortionists: “Planned Parenthood”, “Women’s Health Care”, “Pro-Choice”. Using words; redefining them to look like something that will make what they are really doing more palatable to the public. Of course they still have the word “Abortion” floating around, which isn’t the most pleasant sounding term. It wouldn’t surprise me if the “Pro-Choice” activists will stop using that term altogether, if they haven’t already.

KrisinNE on May 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM

They will never see each other. The babies will be in Heaven.

Sterling Holobyte on May 9, 2013 at 1:57 AM

cheeflo on May 8, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I’m right wing, Christian, pro life, but also care deeply about animals.

I wish fellow pro lifers would stop dragging animals into this, and it almost always comes up in abortion related threads on conservative sites. It’s not mutually exclusive: one can care about human life as well as animal life.

TigerPaw on May 9, 2013 at 4:21 AM

northdallasthirty on May 8, 2013 at 9:50 PM

You are so messed up that handling your observations resembles putting a roast back together after the meal. (Deliberate reference to gross comment by “doctor” above.

1) I’m not pregnant and never have been.

2) You are the one who wants STATE POWER to force a woman to carry a child to term.

3) Therefore, you are a religious or fetish driven Fascist.

4) I doubt that you and your whole family unit, if not neighborhood, have enough money to tempt me to try to take any of your funds, even if I were broke, or dishonest.

5) I was making the point that pro-life folks are often very quiet when faced with the real and expensive responsibility of a new baby or anyone else with needs. Tell us about all your adopted kids, esp. those with special needs or other issues or special features. Add the money you give away and the way you get lathered up over any suffering.

6) I just remembered that I ran across a lawyer who arranges entire pregnancies. So the issue of ‘no baby selling’ is fine if you want to use that as an excuse for the pro-life folks to be less active in offering alternatives to abortion. There are also a number of web sites where people go looking for eggs and etc. I think an ivy legue woman with blonde hair can make a mint.

7) The person above with some idea that i judge Christians needs to take a course in logic. It probably would not help you but — what the heck, think about it.

8) I am not an abortion fan and hope that all this is academic very soon.

IlikedAUH2O on May 9, 2013 at 9:12 AM

1) I’m not pregnant and never have been.

Good on ya. You wouldn’t happen to be male, would you?

3) Therefore, you are a religious or fetish driven Fascist.

Actually, I believe the constitutionally correct way to do it would be to devolve the power to decide such questions to the states. If you’re a “libertarian” in the vein of Murray Rothbard, we could go on for days arguing about that, but again, that’s outside the scope of the horror of an abortionist comparing a dead baby to pot roast.

My parents raised four children over the course of 24 years and lost their youngest son to a horrendous accident. Your libertarian posturing sickens me, particularly since you get more lathered up over pro-life horror at Carhart’s evil than you do over Carhart’s evil.

8) I am not an abortion fan and hope that all this is academic very soon.

IlikedAUH2O on May 9, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Yeah, and I bet some of your best friends are black, too. Dumbass.

Wake up and smell the coffee. Murder is being committed, and probably practically in your backyard. Your tax dollars are paying for it and your disdain is misdirected.

gryphon202 on May 9, 2013 at 9:33 AM

thuja on May 8, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Figures you’d go for a political angle.
She was referring to ANYONE who holds that view.
Sheesh.

pambi on May 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I was saying ANYONE who thinks tearing innocents apart limb from limb deserves to be thought of in a barbaric way. It isn’t political, it’s humanity at stake, Thuja. Or have you already lost yours.

gina4 on May 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I don’t care how many people support the mass murder of babies, Thuja, I will never join in. It is repulsive and evil. I would no more support abortion or infanticide than I would join in the murder of you. Murder is a sin and an abomination and it’s a heinous act which has no place in a civilized society. Evolved and intelligent people know this.

gina4 on May 9, 2013 at 6:38 PM

The “constitutionally correct way” to treat abortion would be to prosecute it as a federal crime. After all, life is an unalienable right with which all men (regardless of stage of development…that’s where that nifty word “posterity” comes into play) are endowed by God. The Libertarian argument to let the states decide whether or not to violate one’s unalienable right to life is a morally despicable position that either ignores or denies Natural Law, which is the basis for ALL of our unalienable rights. Declare one unalienable right within the purview of states to nullify and it follows that all “unalienable rights” are merely privilege predicated upon a particular state’s popular whim. That ain’t constitutional, which is why the Constitution Party doesn’t take that view.

TXJenny on May 10, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Now start spinning and making excuses to yourself on why you will not do it.

And you people who knocked Goldwater. Right, he sure wasn’t perfect.

IlikedAUH2O on May 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Personal responsibility goes out the window when people try to defend baby killing.

You probably wouldn’t tell people who are against child abuse to go collect all abused children and raise them as their own. Each parent has a responsibility to take care of their kids. That isn’t anyone else’s responsibility. This isn’t community child rearing.

Every person who has sex is putting themselves in the position to potentially raise of a child. Since sex is easy and raising a child is not it’s become acceptable to have the sex and kill the baby.

If every person was truly responsible for their actions then more people would think before having sex with just anyone. And then take the responsibility of the child that results (or give him/her up for adoption).

cmc on May 10, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I passed more than one Bar and I have a ‘beef’ with hypocrites.

I raised kids as a single parent. I took care of a sick mom for 11 years.

Wanna talk about my PTSD and service record?

I gotta go.

IlikedAUH2O on May 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I like how you tout your own personal responsibility, but you put others down by saying they can’t do the same as you. You’re not anything special.

Saying you were a single parent, as if you deserve a metal for it, is similar (except for importance)to a person saying, “I paid my bills today, where’s my metal?” Really? You agreed to the payments so you are responsible. Just like with children, you had the sex, then you had the children so you took care of them, just as you should have.

Parenthood is a thankless job but it is still a job that is required when you have children. Trying to get out of it by killing the baby is cowardly and wrong.

cmc on May 10, 2013 at 1:16 PM