Unknown senator blocks Mike Lee’s resolution condemning “abusive, unsanitary, and illegal” abortion practices

posted at 12:01 pm on May 8, 2013 by Allahpundit

I’m glad. I’d much rather see a roll-call vote on this than have it fly under the radar by passing with unanimous consent. I trust some pro-choice Democrats were hoping that would happen so that they could plead later that they were caught napping by Lee’s attempt to “hotline” the bill and would have/should have opposed it. Now they’ll have their chance. Let’s get everyone on the record.

Lee’s statement:

“It is difficult to imagine why anyone would object to a non-binding resolution calling on Congress to investigate these alleged disturbing, horrific, and illegal abortion practices committed by Kermit Gosnell and others,” said Senator Lee, who filed the resolution on Monday evening. “With numerous reports of similar instances surfacing around the country, the need for greater regulatory oversight of these so-called clinics is so plainly obvious it strains the limits of disbelief to think all members of the Senate would not agree. The resolution is simply an affirmation that we as a country – a moral and compassionate society – have an interest in acting to save the lives of innocent women and children, and to prevent these kinds of heinous acts from happening to anyone again.”

The full text of the resolution is posted on his website. Chances are it’s not the abusive/unsanitary/illegal language that drew the objection — although who knows what some abortion warriors will endorse at this point in the interest of keeping “choice” free from government regulation — but rather the language about viability. Quote:

c1c2c3

There’s other language in the preamble that liberals will blanch at (“women and children in the United States deserve better than the 56,145,920 abortions that have been performed in the United States since” Roe) but that idea, that it’s time to take a fresh look at what the timeframe for a legal abortion should be, is what will probably make the Senate’s pro-choicers walk. Watch the end of S.E. Cupp’s commentary below for a smart point about that. The reason Gosnell’s case makes abortion-rights supporters nervous is because it gets people thinking about viability, which in turn is apt to get them thinking about medical advances over the last 40 years to save the lives of babies born ever more prematurely. Viability ain’t what it used to be, but the Party of Science™ and Progress is determined to preserve the status quo, even if it means having government look the other way at clinics like Gosnell’s in the name of keeping abortion safe, legal, and rare extremely common.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Cindy Munford on May 8, 2013 at 3:07 PM

To set standards and keep them is to risk the number of available clinics mills.

Abortion is a money-maker. Think about it: All the libs who hate corporate welfare have no problem at all with tax dollars going to Planned Parenthood, though there are plenty of county clinics that offer the same services, and even more. At many county clinics, a woman can get a mammogram on request. PP doesn’t provide that service, yet it gets Federal money.

Liam on May 8, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Liam on May 8, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I doubt Planned Parenthood has filthy facilities so it is because they get tax payer dollars? They sure have been quiet about this. Somehow it doesn’t make sense that the later term abortions, which are more involved medically and cost more but the staff is less qualified and the facilities are disgusting. Does not compute. Do you think I offended thuja?

Cindy Munford on May 8, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Cindy Munford on May 8, 2013 at 3:21 PM

About 34% of PP’s ‘income’ is from Federal tax dollars.

Think about that, in terms of corporate welfare.

Imagine if Mobile Oil got 34% of its income from tax dollars. Or, more to tweak liberal noses, imagine if Romney’s Bain Capital got 34% of its income from Washington.

I forget the exact total dollar amount of PP’s annual income, but about a third of it comes from Washington. Look up the Federal outlay to PP, and you’d freak at how many millions go to a private corporation that murders babies. All under the guise of ‘women’s healthcare’, though almost every county in the country does better with other tax dollars — usually for free. PP also charges a fee from every ‘client’ they serve.

Liam on May 8, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Liam on May 8, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I am all for getting rid of all corporate welfare.

Cindy Munford on May 8, 2013 at 3:46 PM

You have good reason to be cynical. I know that the press wants to protect abortion but I don’t understand how blocking cleanliness and standard regulations (teenagers can’t do ultrasounds, right?)is a winning view with the public. Only an idiot would consider these things a nose under the tent by the crazy “SoCons”, I’m looking at you, Moesart. Qualified staff and cleanliness, the great SoCon plot, oh the humanity!!!!

Cindy Munford on May 8, 2013 at 3:07 PM

The pro-murder crowd know that when you regulate something, you get less of it. They use those tactics in other areas, like “COMMON SENSE GUN CONTROL!111!”

As a result, they foam at the mouth whenever anyone speaks of regulations on abortions because they know there will be fewer of them. Their goal is more abortions, especially of the unwashed masses. (And, having it available for their own convenience is important as well.)

makattak on May 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM

makattak on May 8, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Gee, I thought Bubba said that they wanted abortions to be “safe, legal and rare”, just another example that they can’t do anything right.

Cindy Munford on May 8, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I am all for getting rid of all corporate welfare.

Cindy Munford on May 8, 2013 at 3:46 PM

As am I, especially those farm subsidies that make food prices artificially high.

Want to get really angry?

One time, because I was bored, I looked up the Federal budget share for PP. It was somewhere around $600 million.

Now, if Washington instead took that money and divvied it up into $1 million block grants each, it could be used by 600 county clinics that provide to the poor much more than PP offers.

At $500K block grants, 1,200 county clinics could benefit. And with them, the poor.

Liberals do not understand this.

Liam on May 8, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Liam on May 8, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I am at a loss as to why, between individual locations health services and Planned Parenthood, that the number of abortions are so high. It’s downright weird.

Cindy Munford on May 8, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Cindy Munford on May 8, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Money.

If the morning-after pill came into widespread use like many want, the abortion industry dries up. It’s cheaper and far less dangerous.

And that’s another thing: Liberals still want their abortion, though technology makes that barbaric practice unnecessary now, except in the most extreme of medical necessity. If the baby-killers were truly so ‘against’ abortion as they claim/lie about, they should be going whole-hog for those pills.

But they’re not.

So, I have to conclude it’s all abut the money.

Liam on May 8, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I looked over the regulation of abortion and hospital standards. In Virginia, the “hospital standards” include things like number of parking places and size of janitor closets. Such items do absolutely nothing to make abortion any safer, and anyway abortion is already a very safe procedure. These regulation are intended to harass abortion clinics. Pro-lifers crying crocodiles tears over the health of women in abortion clinics should not be taken seriously. It is simply an exercise in common decency to block Lee’s resolution.

thuja on May 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM

thuja on May 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Yep, it is all about parking places and janitor closets. You are being more than a little disingenuous. I can’t imagine what happened in your life to incur such hatred for beings who haven’t even had the chance to offend you other than with their possibility to exist. You are a very sad person.

Cindy Munford on May 8, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Cindy Munford on May 8, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I notice that you didn’t mention any positive way in which the hospital standards improve the safety of abortion clinics.

It is unfortunate that you can’t accept political disagreement and feel the need to demonize people who disagree with you.

thuja on May 8, 2013 at 10:22 PM

thuja on May 8, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Cindy Munford on May 8, 2013 at 10:36 PM

thuja on May 8, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Cindy Munford on May 8, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I’m not demonizing you, I feel bad for you. Hospitals have parking places for visitors, clinics are not going to be required to have the same. Clinics and hospitals should have the same rules for cleanliness, instrument handling and the disposal of bio-hazardous waste. In a world where ear piercing requires parental consent and abortions don’t, I am truly baffled by your myopic view on this issue. And another thing, I don’t consider this a political argument. I consider this a health issue and a parental issue and a civic issue.

Cindy Munford on May 8, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I would play the “I feel bad for you” card, since echolalia can be a fun strategy, but the fact is that neither of us face sad conditions in our lives. I can tell I would like you if I met you, and the fact is you like me also.
I have stronger reason than you do to make abortion an exceptional safe procedure, and so we almost agree that “Clinics and hospitals should have the same rules for cleanliness, instrument handling and the disposal of bio-hazardous waste”, but that I am willing to listen to when those standards don’t make sense in the context of abortion.
If abortion clinics aren’t regulated well enough as happened in Pennsylvania, then the pro-life movement morally should be attempting the legitimate regulation before attempting harassing legislation as in Virginia.

I think I’m being tautological when I say whatever we discuss in the political arena is a political issue. It can be other sorts of issues, but still it is a political issue.

thuja on May 8, 2013 at 11:32 PM

thuja on May 8, 2013 at 11:32 PM

While I am from Virginia, I am not living there now but I would assume that the requirements that will need to be equaled are those of an outpatient facility. Trust me, there are enough people in the state that agree with you that would not let the parking space/janitorial closet exceptions fly. While never actually visiting inside, Virginia Beach has a brand spanking new abortion clinic and other than the rather insulting location in a predominately minority part of the city, I hope it is clean and safe. I want these ladies to live and have time to beg God’s forgiveness.

Cindy Munford on May 8, 2013 at 11:50 PM