New White House amnesty campaign: “Unless you’re a Native American, you came from someplace else”

posted at 8:01 pm on May 8, 2013 by Allahpundit

I thought I came from America, but now I know better.

That’s their new grassroots-mobilizing gimmick in support of the Gang of Eight’s amnesty bill. Rewarding illegals with citizenship flows as naturally and logically from having legal immigrants as ancestors as expanding background checks does from a school shooting committed by a lunatic who stole guns purchased legally by his mother. Follow the link in the tweet and share your “story” to remind Congress that basic border enforcement is for nativist trolls.

Here’s a story. Once upon a time, millions upon millions of immigrants came to America and paid their own way because there was no welfare state. Dan Foster:

[P]ro-amnesty Republicans should admit that their anti-amnesty colleagues raise a legitimate concern, and they should use the debate as an opportunity to strike a compromise: Amend the Gang of Eight bill to include means-testing, market-like competition, and block grants for Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid, respectively, along with a gradual scaling-back to pre-recession levels for food stamps, unemployment benefits, and the like. Allay the Heritage crowd’s concerns by trading amnesty for significant entitlement reform.

Such a move would for sure bring more Republicans on board, while helping relieve Marco Rubio from the Chuck Schumer–shaped albatross around his neck. It might, it just might, stop the melee on the right long enough to shift the pressure to the Senate Democrats by forcing them to assess their own priorities. And it would revive “grand bargain” talks in a creative and unexpected way, a way that precludes talk of tax increases altogether.

Of course, there is probably one chance in 10,000 that such a “grand bargain” could become law. Likelier, stapling amnesty to entitlement reform would doom “comprehensive immigration reform” entirely. But for those of us who think there is currently more bad than good in the bill, and who prefer a piecemeal approach, that’s quite an acceptable loss.

Right. Ted Cruz is sponsoring an amendment that would permanently bar legalized illegals from receiving welfare, but there’s not a prayer that Mediscare-fearing Republicans would push hard for broader entitlement reform as a condition of amnesty. Remember, the whole point of this grand immigration pander from the GOP’s perspective is to ingratiate itself with Latino voters, and Latino voters tend to support entitlements even more than much of the rest of the entitlement-loving American public does. We’re stuck with the welfare state in its current form (at least until people stop loaning us money), which is one big reason to oppose amnestizing lots of illegals. Justin Green:

[R]ecent arrivals are considerably less educated than they need to be to achieve the American dream. They, their children, and likely their grandchildren will disproportionately rely on the benefits a strong welfare state can provide. In addition, by bringing in these workers, the wage floor for low-skilled labor will remain low, meaning more native born Americans will also need to rely on the welfare state.

Unlike the 20th century, today’s workers will need a college degree — or some other form of advanced training — to attract the lifetime earnings required to raise a family without strong state assistance. That’s not because they’re lazy or indolent. It’s what the market increasingly deems worthy for someone without advanced skills. By bringing in further low skilled immigrants, we’ll only exacerbate an existing problem.

And shockingly, those newly legalized immigrants and their native born low-skilled counterparts are not going to be with you on the crusade to slash the welfare state.

One possible solution is to demystify college degrees as a de facto prerequisite for decent-paying jobs, but The One himself has talked up education beyond high school for all Americans. DrewM asks a good question too: “If low skill workers are the key to prosperity, why do we spend hundreds of billions dollars a year on educations and training programs?” Middle-class American parents spend 18-21 years terrorized by the thought that their children might not finish school and end up with thankless, low-paying jobs — and now they’re being told that bringing in millions of people in that exact situation is nothing but upside for America. You won’t see that story on the White House website.

Here’s the poor sap who got stuck being Team O’s new messaging prop. Better him than five-year-olds, right?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

You can’t fix stupid!
Bishop

LeftCoastRight on May 8, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I tweeted back : “I was born HERE….Legally!” :)

ThePrez on May 8, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I’m a native of Iowa. Iowa is in the US. The US is part of North America.
F**k off, Zero!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 8, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Yeah, like the Caucasus region.

rogerb on May 8, 2013 at 8:05 PM

THis has to come from Elizabeth Warren’s office.

Yata Hei!!

BigWyo on May 8, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I do have one Native American ancestor. But most of my mom’s ancestors were here BEFORE there even was a United States – 1630s in both Massachusetts and Virginia. Since there was no United States in those days, I’d say we are native to the country that now exists.

Alia on May 8, 2013 at 8:05 PM

No I didn’t.

Cindy Munford on May 8, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Of course, if the morons who thought this catchy little tidbit up had paid attention in school, they’d realize that the American Indians came from somewhere else too.

Just sayin…….

TKindred on May 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Um, even the Indians native Americans are immigrants.

cozmo on May 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM

When you have nothing else.
I guess Mexico better give their land back to the Mayans, and well, Europe is going to be a mess.

HornetSting on May 8, 2013 at 8:08 PM

He’s such an idiot. They were not the first on the N. American territories. That theory was debunked when he was in diapers.

Schadenfreude on May 8, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Unless you’re a Native American, you came from someplace else.

And you didn’t build that!!!

Electrongod on May 8, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Well of course since Obarky came from somewhere else he would think everyone else did to.

HOWEVER, I was born in Anchorage Alaska, which is part of the US – and was when I was born.
I did not cross any borders illegally to get here.
However, I also have a little Native American lineage, or as I grew up calling them – Indians. As I’ve said before – probably not as much as Senator Fauxcahontas claims, but likely more than she really has.

So, UP YOURS moron!!!

dentarthurdent on May 8, 2013 at 8:10 PM

So Obama is admitting he wasn`t born here? lol

ThePrez on May 8, 2013 at 8:11 PM

And it worked out so well for Native Americans, didn’t it. Oh, wait . . .

ldenton1 on May 8, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Did he say where he came from?

Schadenfreude on May 8, 2013 at 8:11 PM

White liberal guilt generally only works on libersls. He’s preaching to the choir on this.

Wethal on May 8, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Funny, I don’t remember the boat ride that got me here. My parents must have faked those pics of me being brought home from the hospital in Minneapolis.

Bishop on May 8, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Nothing wrong with legal immigration.

It is illegal immigration that is the problem.

[Obama himself called them illegal when he was in Mexico City.]

Team Obama has scores of legal experts..to apparently include Obama…and they still cannot figure out the difference between legal and illegal, documented and undocumented, obtaining a visa, going through the entry process, becoming naturalized…and those who do none of those?

Lot’s of law schools obviously gave complete idiots law degrees.

No wonder we are in the mess we are in today.

coldwarrior on May 8, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Everyone came from “somewhere else”, you ambulatory brillo pad. The human race most certainly did not originate in what we now recognize as North America.

America’s ancestors weren’t a bunch of skin-wearing tribals who came ashore in a canoe a few hundred years before our European founders landed. Deal with it. And not by importing a grab bag of unskilled, unwashed, unscreened Third-Worlders, either.

MelonCollie on May 8, 2013 at 8:12 PM

When you have nothing else.

HornetSting on May 8, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Considering most Mexicans have Hispanic (i.e. from Spain) ancestry – maybe we should just deport all the illegal Mexicans in this country directly to Spain…..

dentarthurdent on May 8, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Just sayin…….

TKindred on May 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Um, even the Indians native Americans are immigrants.

cozmo on May 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Um, racists, or something!
They don’t teach that in school anymore.

HornetSting on May 8, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I thought human life originated somewhere near Africa. So wouldn’t Native Americans be immigrants too?

joekenha on May 8, 2013 at 8:13 PM

So I guess my ancestor who fought in the Civil War fought in the…English Civil War?

Wethal on May 8, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Hey Columbus was not looking for these Indians , history tells me.
So real Americans live in India and grow pepper and cardamom.

burrata on May 8, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Good grief I’m sick of this crap. Native Americans came from somewhere else too, just like everyone else who lives anywhere on earth. And Native Americans did plenty of killing stealing enslaving and sacrificing each other before Europeans showed up. How far back do you want to try to try to trace it to the original inhabitants who got overrun and replaced/absorbed/assimilated by other Indians who got replaced/absorbed yet more other Indians etc.

Or maybe the Obama Campaign thinks all Native Americans are one group who all look the same and know each other too.

forest on May 8, 2013 at 8:14 PM

#LegalImmigrationNation

ButterflyDragon on May 8, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Alia on May 8, 2013 at 8:05 PM

This is so ridiculous. He probably has no idea how many Americans have some Indian (let’s be non-PC) lineage. Mine is Cherokee, and my husband’s is Mingo. I also have ancestors who immigrated from England in the 1600′s and early 1700′s.

Obama OTOH came from someplace else.

INC on May 8, 2013 at 8:14 PM

So under the US Constitution, then, no one but a Native American can be president or vice-president?

Obama is a Birther?

Wethal on May 8, 2013 at 8:14 PM

HornetSting on May 8, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Sure but all those Euros who are actually Eburones and Treveri are going to be rich.

Bishop on May 8, 2013 at 8:15 PM

When you have nothing else.

HornetSting on May 8, 2013 at 8:08 PM

dentarthurdent on May 8, 2013 at 8:12 PM

We’re gonna need to deport the Indians and their fancy casinos back to Asia, if I remember correctly.

HornetSting on May 8, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Does President Obama really want to bring up that Birther issue again?

Just because he came from someplace else, it doesn’t mean that everybody else did too.

wren on May 8, 2013 at 8:15 PM

This is rather insulting. My ancestors were shipwrecked here in the 1600s. My ancestors fought in the revolutionary war. They fought in the civil war. I didn’t “come” here, my family has been here for 400 years. Just because that idiot Kenyan came here when he was a boy doesn’t mean everyone else did.

Vegi on May 8, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Well, if we’re to believe anthropologists, man starts around the Tigris\Euphrates and branches out from there, or something like that. So no one is native to America, unless Area 51 docs reveal that the Indians were all beamed down by Scotty.

Erich66 on May 8, 2013 at 8:15 PM

So Obama is admitting he wasn`t born here? lol

ThePrez on May 8, 2013 at 8:11 PM

He was…
Sort of..

Luckily Baby Obama hadn’t served as a Illinois senator..
And voted yes to infanticide..

Electrongod on May 8, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I AM a Native American. I was born in San Francisco.

Although, come to think of it, I don’t know if that still qualifies as America.

aunursa on May 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM

…Kenya?

KOOLAID2 on May 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM

MelonCollie on May 8, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Good point. Even the “Native Americans” originally came over from Asia across the land bridge to Alaska that used to be above water.
AND current archeology/anthropology theory indicates ALL of the human race/species orginated in Africa.
So technically – we’re ALL African-Americans, and African-Europeans, and African-Asians.

I want all the minority preferences and handouts that are due to me – now!!!

dentarthurdent on May 8, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Bishop on May 8, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Like AlGore, Soros, Buffet and Gates?

Schadenfreude on May 8, 2013 at 8:20 PM

This may have been said already, and I apologize, but, okay Rat Eared Bastadge, you first, we’re still waiting to find out your history.

waterytart on May 8, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I’ve got ancestors from the time of the Mayflower and two grandmothers who immigrated legally.

So all central & south Americans without Mayan, Incan or Aztecblood should go back to Europe?

rbj on May 8, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Unless you’re a Native American, you came from someplace else. Share your family’s story: at.wh.gov/kQgOt #ImmigrationNation

“I came here with my brother, then we blew people to bits, and later I ran him over with a stolen car.”

#WeDontKnowWhoIsHereNow

Bishop on May 8, 2013 at 8:22 PM

While we’re on the subject, scientists keep claiming that all of us humans are descended from a single female in Africa.

If that’s the case, and I have no reason as yet to doubt it, then doesn’t that make everyone here an African-American?

I’m having my kid reclassed at school so she can get better treatment, since she’s now, apparently, a minority. :)

TKindred on May 8, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I am a native American – I was born here.

gophergirl on May 8, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Like AlGore, Soros, Buffet and Gates?

Schadenfreude on May 8, 2013 at 8:20 PM

That reminds me:

INC on May 8, 2013 at 8:24 PM

My ancestors came to this nation either legally with documentation, or before it was a nation and worked, fought, and bled to make it a nation.

Barack Obama doesn’t have the right to put my law abiding ancestors on a par with opportunists who chose to willfully shatter federal immigration law, thus demonstrating a complete disregard for the rule of law and a clear disdain for the rights of the citizens of this nation.

Barack Obama doesn’t have the right to put LEGAL immigrants, and those millions waiting in line around the world for the opportunity to come here legally, on a par with ILLEGAL ALIENS.

Barack Obama just insulted every law abiding American citizen and our ancestors, as well as all legal immigrants and those who aspire to become legal immigrants.

That’s pretty low, even for him.

He also demonstrated that he has no regard for the rule of law and doesn’t understand the value of the rule of law and is, thus, willing to erode it in order to serve his own flawed ideology.

thatsafactjack on May 8, 2013 at 8:24 PM

dentarthurdent on May 8, 2013 at 8:18 PM

That theory hasn’t been proven and has lately come under added scrutiny when other archeologists theorized a land (or possibly ice) bridge from Europe.

cozmo on May 8, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Look what poor immigration enforcement did for the Indians Native Americans…

darkpixel on May 8, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Sorry, idiot W.H., another stupid blunder: Native Americans came here from somewhere and apparently replaced another population, or at least shared it with them. Trying to create another splinter group?

I tire of this stupidity.
BTW, I’m 1/16 N.A. My dad looked like Chief Dan George for those can remember his roles with Clint Eastwood.

AND,

Archeological sites in Pennsylvania, Virginia, and South Carolina (SF#125) dating back 15,000-18,000 years demonstrate that the ocean-going Solutreans had footholds in the Americas 3,0006,000 years before Asian landlubbers trekked into Alaska.

Who Were The First Americans?
Stefan Lovgren
for National Geographic News
September 3, 2003

A study of skulls excavated from the tip of Baja California in Mexico suggests that the first Americans may not have been the ancestors of today’s Amerindians, but another people who came from Southeast Asia and the southern Pacific area.

The question of who colonized the Americas, and when, has long been hotly debated. Traditionally, Native Americans are believed to have descended from northeast Asia, arriving over a land bridge between Siberia and Alaska some 12,000 years ago and then migrating across North and South America.

Disputed Prehistoric Bones OK to Study, U.S. Rules
Java Skull Raises Questions on Human Family Tree
Neandertals Not Our Ancestors, DNA Study Suggests
Oldest Homo Sapiens Fossils Found, Experts Say
Skull Fossil Challenges Out-of-Africa Theory

But recent research, including the Baja California study, indicates that the initial settlement of the continent was instead driven by Southeast Asians who occupied Australia 60,000 years ago and then expanded into the Americas about 13,500 years ago, prior to Mongoloid people arriving from northeast….. Asia

avagreen on May 8, 2013 at 8:26 PM

thatsafactjack on May 8, 2013 at 8:24 PM

So, its not like he hasn’t done it before.

cozmo on May 8, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Unless you’re a Native American, you came from someplace else.

On what basis? If we’re going by having ancestry outside the country, then word has it that the “Native Americans” originally came over from Asia.

If we’re not going to resort to ancestral idiocy, then I’m a native American, damn it. I was born here, and to citizens who themselves were born here.

Stoic Patriot on May 8, 2013 at 8:27 PM

From somewhere else….like Obama…?
I wish he would go back.

NeoKong on May 8, 2013 at 8:27 PM

…Kenya?

KOOLAID2 on May 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Does this mean we can give him back? The village really needs the idiot.

HornetSting on May 8, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Why is it if someone climbs the fence at the border, we’re supposed to ignore it, but if someone climbs the White House Fence, they get tackled and cuffed? They’re just on an undocumented tour, right Mr. President?

trubble on May 8, 2013 at 8:27 PM

“Unless you’re a Native American, you came from someplace else”
and therefore ,
US citizenship and
welfare ,food-stamps , medicaid and free everything are your civil rights.
Right Obama’ s Moochanty and Drunkel ?

burrata on May 8, 2013 at 8:28 PM

*sorry* That middle paragraph didn’t belong between the first and second paragraph. It was grabbed from the left side of the screen…….

avagreen on May 8, 2013 at 8:28 PM

WTH?

My grandparents were born in the US. My parents were born in the US. I was born in the US. My kids were born in the US.

I think ‘President’ Stompy-Feet is projecting.

Gah, we can’t indict him and his merry band of thugs on Benghazi soon enough. I can’t wait until he ends up in an AMERICAN jail.

Timothy S. Carlson on May 8, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Unless you’re a Native American, you came from someplace else

That plays well with the simplistic.

I was born here, my parents were born here, their parents were born here. We are all from here.With all due respect. FO.

CW on May 8, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I have to say, for the record, that I am shocked, SHOCKED, that Obama pulled the Native American card.
(Apparently, Indi@n lands you in moderation).

HornetSting on May 8, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Isn’t Obama supposed to be the smartest guy in the room or something?

coldwarrior on May 8, 2013 at 8:31 PM

avagreen on May 8, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Old, but not busted.

New Hotness

Even WaPo took a look.

cozmo on May 8, 2013 at 8:31 PM

#WeDontKnowWhoIsHereNow

Bishop on May 8, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Don’t forget the $100k of welfare! #beingaterroristtakesavillage’smoney

HornetSting on May 8, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I guess those Indians First People hatched or something.

Philly on May 8, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Unless you’re a Native American, you came from someplace else

Most Americans are native Americans.
Only a minority of us are from someplace else.

I think he means aboriginal Americans.
Native American is as bad a misnomer for them as Indian.

itsnotaboutme on May 8, 2013 at 8:32 PM

cozmo on May 8, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Likely back when Greenland was NOT covered in ice during a previous globull warming era – must have been when the Neanderthals were racing their SUVs all over Europe.

But, ok – so the Native Americans are actually Native African-European-American Americans instead of Native African-Asian-American Americans.
Doesn’t that make the Mexicans kind off-spring of incest since the Native African-European-American Americans inbred with Spanish African-Europeans??

dentarthurdent on May 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM

IowaHawk knocks it out of the ballpark with his response to the White House twitter:

David Burge ‏@iowahawkblog 2h
@whitehouse My family’s story? ‘Refugees’ from Chechnya, collected $100k in welfare, went on vacation, blew up Boston. Haha, j/k.

ButterflyDragon on May 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM

cozmo on May 8, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Thanks for the recent stories on this.

avagreen on May 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM

#WeDontKnowWhoIsHereNow

Bishop on May 8, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I came here with my parents , then I infiltrated the US Military , then I gunned down 14 and injured many others, screaming allahuakbar at the base where I worked. My BFF was an American called Awlaki.

#WeDontKnowWhoIsHereNow

burrata on May 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM

The man’s condescension and divisiveness really know no bounds. Frankly, I wish he’d stop sugarcoating how he feels, and start every sentence with “I’m Barack Obama, and f*ck you America.”

Erich66 on May 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I’m a native American. I was born in Corpus Christi, Texas. I have a birth certificate with my little native American footprints on it. How about Obama?

claudius on May 8, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Hahahahahaha.

Yeah, this is the best way to sell it.

Chuck Schick on May 8, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I am a native American – I was born here.

gophergirl on May 8, 2013 at 8:23 PM

That’s perfect. Well done, indeed.

All of us who were born in the United States are indeed natives of this land.

During the last amnesty push, McCain even blathered on calling those who objected to open borders ‘nativists’.

Well… yes, indeed, McCain…Obama… I’m a native American.

thatsafactjack on May 8, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Native Americans also came from somewhere else, unless you declare an arbitrary cut-off.

Count to 10 on May 8, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Of course, history tells us that so-called “native” Americans actually came across the ice bridge from Asia. So, nobody is a native American now are they?

Odysseus on May 8, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Unless you’re a Native American, you came from someplace else.

… like Kenya ?????

More of those White House Birthers !!!

J_Crater on May 8, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I am a native American! My DNA may have come mostly from Germany, Switzerland and Scandinavian, but I am neither German nor Swiss nor Scandinavian. I lived in the E.U. for six years, I love the Europeans as my friends, and I even married a European; but I am American and only American. Native American. As we’d say in Latin for “I was born here”, hic natus sum.

Tzetzes on May 8, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Freedom is slavery! Victory is defeat! Somewhere, George Orwell is laughing his ass off!

GarandFan on May 8, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I happen to know for a fact that ALL native earth humans died out long ago.
The humanoids currently infesting this planet are actually Golgafrinchans – and not the best of that particular race either.

dentarthurdent on May 8, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Hey A$$hole, I was born in CONNECTICUT, so I came “FROM-HERE”.

Moron.

TX-96 on May 8, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Thanks for the recent stories on this.

avagreen on May 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM

No prob. I wanted to be a geologist, or an engineer, or a squid, but kept getting pushed into pre-law by family and instructors.

Makes me kind of schitzo sometimes, keeping up with all the things I wanted to be.

cozmo on May 8, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Open borders for all!!!Because anything less makes you a hypocrite!!

CW on May 8, 2013 at 8:39 PM

*…and Scandinavia…

Tzetzes on May 8, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Cruz seeks to ban illegal aliens in US from citizenship

NO one should be rewarded with citizenship for thoroughly demonstrating that they are possessed of a complete disregard for the rule of law and a clear disdain for the rights of the citizens and legal immigrants of this nation.

thatsafactjack on May 8, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Count to 10 on May 8, 2013 at 8:35 PM

That cut-off will be declared by a Kenyan from Hawaii because the white settlers acted stupidly or something.

HornetSting on May 8, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Wait a tic,

um,

what about the North American Indian Treaty,where
Canadian Indians,could strut freely across the border,

so,do they get Free American Citizenship Too!!

Jus say’n!!

canopfor on May 8, 2013 at 8:43 PM

“Unless you’re a Native American, you came from someplace else”

Appeal to low info shallow voters from low info shallow prezzie.

petefrt on May 8, 2013 at 8:43 PM

One wonders if the White House supports their fellow Democrat, an “Armenian-American” from South Carolina, when he says that his state’s governor should go “back to wherever the hell she came from.”

Tzetzes on May 8, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Count to 10 on May 8, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Hussein is simply mouthing what the mechas, azatlan and laraza gutter-snipes say to their herds,
” we didn’t cross the border, the border crossed us”
” European pandeehos go back”
” white man stole Native American land and built walmarts ”
” white man should pay reparations to mehicans”
etc etc

burrata on May 8, 2013 at 8:45 PM

This government just makes me sick. They are trying to destroy the country, and half the country is behind it.

WisCon on May 8, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Native American Indian Agreements and Treaties

========================================================

Tina Dion
Treaty Relationships Between the Canadian
and American Governments and First Nation Peoples

canopfor on May 8, 2013 at 8:46 PM

For senator Mike Lee amending the immigration bill starts with throwing it out

Probably the entire length of the bill if all the 400 waivers, extensions, and exemptions, and all of the pork for home states of certain senators ( like…but certainly not limited to… ski instructors and snowboard instructors for Colorado and cheap labor for South Carolina and Lindsey Graham) would be cut down to those same few pages that Mike Lee has proposed.

thatsafactjack on May 8, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I’m from here , the U.S.A, you doofus!
In the tale of whoa that is the BoxHead lineage; Those distant relatives that left whatever country to get here LEFT THAT COUNTRY to get here! My loyalty is to this country before any others (and to a few things before country).

BoxHead1 on May 8, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I have it on good authority that I am descended from the crew of Battlestar Galactica who landed and settled here many tens of thousands of years ago.

Bishop on May 8, 2013 at 8:47 PM

woe

BoxHead1 on May 8, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Bishop on May 8, 2013 at 8:47 PM

You toaster!

cozmo on May 8, 2013 at 8:48 PM

According to archeologists, even”native” Americans came from somewhere else. The “native American” found in Washington state was caucasian, but the native American Indians thew a hissy fit so no one would know.

Old Country Boy on May 8, 2013 at 8:49 PM

“Native Americans” came from somewhere else as well; they should be referred to as the “First Americans”.

mad scientist on May 8, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Oh Boy,Hopey is gonna open up a can of worms!!!!!
(sarc)

[*PG313]NATIVE AMERICAN FREE PASSAGE RIGHTS UNDER THE 1794 JAY TREATY: SURVIVAL UNDER UNITED STATES STATUTORY LAW AND CANADIAN COMMON LAW

Abstract:

Since 1794, Native American groups in both the United States (U.S.) and Canada have enjoyed the right of “free passage” across the U.S.-Canadian border per the provisions of the Jay Treaty.

However, development and recognition of this right have taken decidedly different courses:

while the U.S. has treated the right very liberally under statutory codification,

the Canadian government has opted to develop, and restrict, the right under their courts’ common law. This Note discusses the origin and development of the “free passage” right under the Jay Treaty, and encourages both the continued recognition of the right, as well as a stronger Canadian common law effort to harmonize treatment of the right with U.S. jurisprudence.

Introduction

In 1794, following the American Revolution, the United States and Great Britain signed an agreement entitled the Treaty of Amity, Commerce, and Navigation (the Jay Treaty).

1 In addition to post-war normalization of relations between the two countries, the treaty also extended and acknowledged various

rights of Amerind tribal groups occupying areas on or near the U.S.-Canadian border.

2 Most significantly,

the treaty stated that Indians on either side of the border

would retain the right to move freely back and forth

across the border, the so-called “free passage” right.3
=======================================================

canopfor on May 8, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Shumer-Rubio bill…expect fake toughening

The Us had tougher visa restrictions than are contained in this bill that were passed 17 years ago… they simply weren’t enforced.Likewise some 600 miles of double fencing was ordered… and only 30 miles have been constructed. If Obama administration hasn’t enforced these laws so far, why would we believe they’d enforce any new laws in the future?

Likewise, much is being made on the left regarding how much new tax revenue the government might expect from all those new legal residents. IF they came here illegally, lived and worked here illegally in some cases for years breaking any law that was inconvenient to them including stolen identity and fraudulent identification, and then were roundly rewarded for shattering every law they found inconvenient, what makes the government think they bother to pay taxes?

thatsafactjack on May 8, 2013 at 8:52 PM