“Very junior senator” Ted Cruz really getting under skin of very senior Sen. Harry Reid

posted at 7:21 pm on May 7, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

This is the second very similar attack, by name and name-calling, on the Senate floor in two days. It begins to look a little overwrought on the part of Sen. Harry Reid, who used to be known for boasting of his pugilism prowess and ducking booby-trap bombs in his Gaming Commission days. Now, he’s rather ruffled by a “schoolyard bully” many years his junior trying to, gasp!, influence Senate processes.

May I suggest that, in the Alinskyite tradition, Reid stick with demonization of his target instead of muddying the waters with this emasculation and condescension tactic. This is just sloppy and makes Reid look scared and insecure, not angry and scurrilous, as is his customary pose. He sounds like Montgomery Burns, indignantly fist-shaking in the presence of a new crop of cargo-shorts-wearing tech CEOs. “CONFERENCE ROOMS ARE NOT FOR AIR HOCKEY TABLES, DAMMIT!”

Here he is on the floor today. Thanks to Charlie Spiering for the clip:

Highlighting his relatively advanced age and accompanying crotchetiness is perhaps not the best fit with a Democratic Party apparatus that has been successful in laying that stereotype on the Republican Party. Elevating the GOP’s youthful up-and-comers with a good bout of get-off-my-lawn ire seems counterproductive, even if Reid makes it clear he doesn’t think Cruz is the sort of “clean, articulate” and ethnic-dialect-free young man he’s wont to approve of in politics. This has a whiff of Sen. John McCain’s railing at Sen. Rand Paul in the wake of his drone filibuster, complete with repeated, personal hits that suggest deep annoyance at one’s opponent’s efficacy.

And, then he goes and cribs his insults from the New York Times. Reid’s attack today began with a reprise of “schoolyard bully” before moving on to “very junior senator,” the same phrase the Times used when it took to the fainting couch over Cruz’s disrupting the “courtly ways” of the U.S. Senate in February.

You’re slipping, old man. Excuse me. Very senior man.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m sick and tired of our best and bravest being left to twist in the wind by our RINO squishes!

neyney on May 7, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I really don’t think Ted Cruz is “twisting in the wind”. Twisting harry red’s yellow stained panties, Yes. Twisting in the wind, No.

VegasRick on May 7, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Harry Reid, the very f*cking old man who is the poster child for euthanasia.

john1schn on May 7, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Where do we sign up to be the one to show him how to turn on the drip line? “It’s for your own good Harry.” I watched a show on TV about the uses of helium also.

arnold ziffel on May 7, 2013 at 8:28 PM

People ought to send Senator Cruz a few dollars if they can. Even a few bucks from a lot of people will keep him encouraged, and that’ll help him know that he is supported by a large number of people that have his back (because so many others will try to stab him in the back). I have a feeling he knows he’s supported but that monetary figure cant be ignored.

More importantly people ought to pray for him.

ritewhit on May 7, 2013 at 8:28 PM

The very junior senator from Texas. Lolololol. How about the only foreign born senator……
HotAirLib on May 7, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Where was McCain born?

CW on May 7, 2013 at 8:30 PM

VegasRick on May 7, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Ted knows there are millions out there who have his six—-even though some of his fellow club members would stab his back.

arnold ziffel on May 7, 2013 at 8:30 PM

This must be some of that cowboy poetry we keep hearing so much about.

fitzfong on May 7, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I luv it that ol’ man Reid is ruffled!

I do pray, hope he stays true!!

Go git ‘im Cruz!!

Scrumpy on May 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Y’all can tell how much teh left fears Cruz. Just watch HAL and Reid.

Say HAL do you have any personal insults to fling? I would love to see you go there again only to complain that others do the same. You are hilarious.

CW on May 7, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Keep up the good work, Ted. Annoy RINOs while you’re at it.

Philly on May 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM

More importantly people ought to pray for him.

ritewhit on May 7, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I am praying for a USCIS employee to find some inconsistencies in his naturalization application. :)

HotAirLib on May 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM

All I said was he is foreign born and has had a green card. Prove me wrong.

HotAirLib on May 7, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Born an American in Canada to American parents. No green card required.

Prove me wrong.

john1schn on May 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM

arnold ziffel on May 7, 2013 at 8:30 PM

The only 2 out of state politicians I ever sent money to were Allen West and Scott Walker. Ted Cruz will be my 3rd.

VegasRick on May 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Where was McCain born?

CW on May 7, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Hence one of the main reasons America did not elect him president.

HotAirLib on May 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM

HotAirLib on May 7, 2013 at 7:49 PM

I have yet to see one liberal — one troll including YOU — dissuade we Conservatives from our hearts.

Can you qualify?

Liam on May 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM

arnold ziffel on May 7, 2013 at 8:30 PM

VegasRick on May 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Opps, meant to quote!

VegasRick on May 7, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Where was McCain born?

CW on May 7, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Hence one of the main reasons America did not elect him president.

HotAirLib on May 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Ummm….McCain’s birthplace was never an issue during that election.

DUH!

You’re really hurting here, I hope you know.

Liam on May 7, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Lol. What do you even know about being Hispanic? Apart from the fact that you think most of them are illegals looking to become citizens in order to become gubmit parasites.

HotAirLib on May 7, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Well, duh, HAL; your Obama Party standard bearer Bill Richardson himself said the only way you could even BE Hispanic was to be an illegal looking to become a gubmit parasite. He screamed and pissed himself that educated, intelligent, self-standing individuals like Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, Cuban immigrants in southern Florida, and the like were NOT Hispanic precisely because of that, and that the only TRUE Hispanics were all gubmit parasites like himself who supported Obama.

Isn’t that right, HAL? The only way you can be really Hispanic is to be an illegal and gubmit parasite who supports Obama. You SAID so. Your own Obama SAID so.

northdallasthirty on May 7, 2013 at 8:38 PM

“CONFERENCE ROOMS ARE NOT FOR AIR HOCKEY TABLES, DAMMIT!”

ROFL! That is the perfect way to describe Reid’s reaction.

thirtyandseven on May 7, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Job-killing budget cuts and millionaires not contributing to deficit reduction doesn’t sound like too much if it saves just one child’s life.

Why does Harry Reid hate children?

questionmark on May 7, 2013 at 8:39 PM

The way the very, very, senior… senior… senior senior… very senior senator from NV goes on and on about him, Harry Reid really must be seething over Cruz. If there was anything left in him to seethe.

Crabbed age and youth cannot live together. — attr. (wrongly) to Wm. Shakespeare

de rigueur on May 7, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Visalaw: The ABC’s of Immigration

All persons born in the United States are citizens of the United States (with the very minor exception of certain children of diplomatic personnel). This is perhaps the only simple rule of US citizenship. One of the most complicated areas of US citizenship law involves the passage of citizenship to children born outside the US to one or more US citizen parents. While naturalized US citizens are treated like natural born citizens, which includes those who are deemed citizens even when born outside the US, in almost every respect, there is one important office that only natural born citizens can hold – the presidency

I did make a error when I posted above, only Ted’s mother is an American by birth, and his father was not yet a citizen. Still, Ted is a US citizen by birth, even though he was born in the Great White North.

john1schn on May 7, 2013 at 8:40 PM

As usual, you were the first to bring race into the conversation. All I said was that the man was born in Canada and probably still has a copy of his green card stashed somewhere. His citizenship can be revoked. Unlike those of us born in the good ol US of A

HotAirLib on May 7, 2013 at 8:23 PM

His mother is a US citizen which means that he is a US citizen by birth. He doesn’t need a green card and his citizenship cannot be revoked.

Oh, and he was a primary editor of the Harvard Law Review and actually wrote for it.

Gelsomina on May 7, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Why does Harry Reid hate children?

questionmark on May 7, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Because none of them will have sex with him?

Liam on May 7, 2013 at 8:40 PM

HotAirLib on May 7, 2013 at 8:20 PM

northdallasthirty on May 7, 2013 at 8:38 PM

This!!!

questionmark on May 7, 2013 at 8:41 PM

HotAirLib on May 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Oh, of course, HAL.

We know that Obama supporters like yourself openly abuse and falsify government records for that exact purpose.

Now, criminal pig, say that those were justified for the glory of the Obama Party. We want you to say on the record that Barack Obama supporters will openly endorse Federal crimes and that Barack Obama endorses committing Federal crimes.

What’s the matter, HAL? Too scared to answer?

northdallasthirty on May 7, 2013 at 8:42 PM

All I said was he is foreign born and has had a green card. Prove me wrong.

HotAirLib on May 7, 2013 at 8:09 PM

He doesn’t have a green card as he’s a citizen.

RickB on May 7, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Hence one of the main reasons America did not elect him president.

HotAirLib on May 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM

But wait smarty you said Cruz was the only one.

You’re dumber than dumber….say show me the polls that McCain’s birth at a US Military location had anything to do with the vote…..

you prove yourself the idiot …over and over…

so funny.

CW on May 7, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I think the next time Reid takes the floor Ted should unroll a big piece of turf and start dancin’ on it.

questionmark on May 7, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Hey racist HAL, what’s the matter? You get called out on the fact that you endorse Bill Richardson’s statements that all Hispanics are illegals looking to be gubmit parasites, and that employed, educated, and legal individuals like Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, and Cuban immigrants in South Florida can’t be real Hispanics?

HAL being a racist. What a surprise. Does it really help the discussion here when you have racists like HAL constantly slurring Hispanics as illegals and gubmit parasites?

northdallasthirty on May 7, 2013 at 8:48 PM

All I said was he is foreign born and has had a green card. Prove me wrong.

HotAirLib on May 7, 2013 at 8:09 PM

The prove a negative game….

CW on May 7, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I am praying …
HotAirLib on May 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Cruz has the atheist praying….

I smell a great amount of fear.

CW on May 7, 2013 at 8:54 PM

HotAirLib on May 7, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Cruz to me is how Obama is to you.

HotAirLib on May 7, 2013 at 8:02 PM

So you admit to being an anti-hispanic racist?

nobar on May 7, 2013 at 8:04 PM

So you mean your statement wasn’t racially charged or do you concede that opposition to Obama isn’t racist?

We await your answer.

nobar on May 7, 2013 at 8:54 PM

HotAirLib on May 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I highly doubt that you pray.

VegasRick on May 7, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I am praying …
HotAirLib on May 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Cruz has the atheist praying….

I smell a great amount of fear.

CW on May 7, 2013 at 8:54 PM

NEVER trust a liberal, especially our trolls.

They are brown nosing lately, seeking some sort of credibility after being trashed so long.

They’re trying to play us.

Don’t fall for it. Give them no room.

Liam on May 7, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I highly doubt that you pray.

VegasRick on May 7, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I agree with you.

The trolls show a pattern, and this time it’s to try being accepted to gain credibility among us. But it’s a game; they’ll always be the same and come back in full vociferous force against us.

Do not accept the lie!

Good call, there!

Liam on May 7, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Mary Katharine,
I loved your smackdown of the very senior Sen. Harry Reid!

Montgomery Burns

All kinds of awesome!

ITguy on May 7, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I am praying …
HotAirLib on May 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Cruz has the atheist praying….

I smell a great amount of fear.

CW on May 7, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Yes, pray.

There is redemption, even for you.

itsspideyman on May 7, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Yes, pray.

There is redemption, even for you.

itsspideyman on May 7, 2013 at 9:10 PM

HAL doesn’t want it. He’s playing to try gaining credibility, the same way nonpartisan is looking for acceptance. They both lie, to advance themselves both personally and for their liberalism.

It’s all too pat — two trolls in a week trying to be ‘understanding’?

You may be right. But I recommend we all be wary here.

Liam on May 7, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Very Junior Senator, Harry? What are you… 12?

It must really rankle the very senior (and often senile) Senator from Nevada that Cruz has one vote in the Senate… just like Harry.

Wendya on May 7, 2013 at 9:21 PM

If I were Sen. Cruz, I would laugh in his face. A good natured hearty laugh and then stand back and watch. If you think demonization works for the Left, the Right needs to try some obviously amused polite condescension.

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Scratch politeness.

Just laugh at Harry with disregard. Then walk away, back toward him.

People have only the power others allow them, no matter their lofty titles.

Liam on May 7, 2013 at 9:28 PM

HotAirLib on May 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM

LOL! He was never naturalised. He was an American citizen AT BIRTH. Please see 8 USC § 1401 so that you can do something about your ignorance.

Just Say “No!” To Birtherism!

Resist We Much on May 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM

All I said was he is foreign born and has had a green card. Prove me wrong.

HotAirLib on May 7, 2013 at 8:09 PM

He’s never had a green card, ya bloody ‘t@rd.

Resist We Much on May 7, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Just Say “No!” To Birtherism!

Resist We Much on May 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Why do you try telling liberals truth when you know well in advance they’re never going to listen to you?

Maybe you’re better than me. I gave up on all liberals the day of Sandy Hook.

Liam on May 7, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Suck it, Harry.

College Prof on May 7, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Resist We Much on May 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM

The day of Sandy Hook killed any belief in me liberals are possibly decent people.

They are not, as proven that day and for a week after by their own posts.

Liam on May 7, 2013 at 9:40 PM

HotAirLib on May 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Just Say “No!” To Birtherism!

Resist We Much on May 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Why do you guys assume communist trash can understand what they read? Had they had that ability they wouldn’t be communist trash.

riddick on May 7, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Why do you guys assume communist trash can understand what they read?
riddick on May 7, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Liberal think only in slogans. That’s why they burn books.

Liam on May 7, 2013 at 9:49 PM

This whiner was a boxer?

Cleombrotus on May 7, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Scratch politeness.

Just laugh at Harry with disregard. Then walk away, back toward him.

People have only the power others allow them, no matter their lofty titles.

Liam on May 7, 2013 at 9:28 PM

In my country the simulated stroke job while giving the “whatever” look would speak volumes.

arnold ziffel on May 7, 2013 at 10:36 PM

wow it’s going to suck for Reid being the Senate Minority Leader under Cruz in 2017… He’ll be even more petulant and unhinged than Pelosi after she lost that stupid big gavel

CRUZ 2016

thurman on May 7, 2013 at 11:04 PM

“very junior senator,”

Just more proof that we need to go back to the state legislatures appointing senators. The senate has really become a house of lords and is corrupt and elitist and not the body the founders intended it to be. Last time I looked each state got 2 senators. To imply someone has less standing because they have been there a week and you have been there for 35 years is proof you don’t get it and have to go. No state is less than another. Yet.

peacenprosperity on May 8, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Both the House and the Senate need to abolish the perks of seniority. Most of what goes wrong in D.C. comes from a Power structure based on politicians who are there longest having the most power. This is unfair to people in other states, since all representatives ought to be equal. I am not for term limits per se, but not for rewards as if the House and senate were the local IUE.

Did you know that Paul Ryan has to get an exception to the seniority system, because some less qualified person who has been there longer is entitled to head the budget? Boehner….he is there because of seniority. End it now.

Fleuries on May 8, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Is the “Negro Dialect” coming? Maybe Obama can teach him how to use it. (This is something every GOP member should say when Obama throws a fit. Harry Reid opened the door and the media gave him a stamp of approval.)

djaymick on May 8, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Guys, stop it. There is no way HAL is anything but a sock puppet. No one, not even a leftist, is that dumb.

You’re all being played by someone looking to inflate the number of comments.

runawayyyy on May 8, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Student to farmer: How long have you been raising potatoes?
farmer: Twenty years experience planting potatoes.
student: Do you plant them differently each year?
farmer: No, the same way every year.
student: You have one year of experience and nineteen years practice doing the same thing.

mixplix on May 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM