Rand Paul: I hate to say it, but the immigration bill is a little bit like ObamaCare right now

posted at 8:41 pm on May 7, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

During a Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee on Tuesday, Sen. Paul made a comparison between the Gang of Eight’s proposed immigration bill and ObamaCare which, on its face, might be considered fightin’ words betwixt the circles of the GOP — but, he was really making a solid point about the intricacies and potential implementation pitfalls of massive legislative packages pushed hastily through Congress.

I, for one, am for immigration reform. … That being said, I’m worried that the bill before us won’t pass. May pass the Senate, may not pass the House. I want to be constructive in making the bill strong enough that conservatives, myself included, conservative Republicans in the House, will vote for this because I think immigration reform is something we should do. In this bill, I’m worried though… it says, well, you have to have a plan to build a fence, but you don’t have to build a fence. And if you don’t have a plan to build a fence, then you get a commission. I don’t know what happens if the commission doesn’t do anything. That’s the story of Washington around here. To me, it’s a little bit like Obamacare, and I hate to bring that up, but 1800 references to the “secretary shall at a later date” decide things. We don’t write bills around here. We should write the bill, we should write the plan, we should do these things to secure the border, whether it be fence, entry-exit, we should write it, not delegate it, because, what’s going to happen in five years, if they don’t do their job — it may not even be them, it may be somebody else who doesn’t do their job in five years — and the border’s not secure, we will be blamed for the next ten million people who come here illegally.

Sen. Paul went on to ask that the Homeland Security get a chance to mark up the bill so they can plow through the details and offer amendments, not because he’s trying to kill the bill, but because national security is a big part of immigration and he wants to make the bill “better so we can pass it. I think the stronger this bill is, the better chance we have of passing it.”

Paul is on-the-record in favor of the basic ideas behind the immigration package, so while that one line might initially sound like borderline blaspheming, his essential point is merely expanding on Sen. Rubio’s constant refrain: That the bill is a “starting point” and he’s looking for plenty of time to debate, mark up, and change the bill to make it more effective and avoid the years of consequences from shoddy framework. The Democrats are currently living that nightmare firsthand.

Comments

Down with this bill!!

Scrumpy on May 7, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Go Rand!

rbj on May 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM

We have to pass it to find out how many illegals can fit in it!!

SouthernGent on May 7, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Another flucking bill so all you in DC can sit around and twiddle your dang thumbs…

Use what is already here, and flucking strengthen THAT!

I wanna know what is ‘attached’ to this pile of garbage that is so important to dang well keep around…

Who’s getting some pork?!

Who’s gonna get skrewed?!

Scrumpy on May 7, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Use what is already here, and flucking strengthen THAT!

Scrumpy on May 7, 2013 at 8:45 PM

But what we have now doesn’t have Obama’s signature on it..

Electrongod on May 7, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I, for one, am for immigration reform amnesty, and frankly, open borders.

FIFY.

xblade on May 7, 2013 at 8:47 PM

See Rand was for immigration reform. Theoretically everyone is for fixing the things that are broken. But “Comprehensive” bi partisan bills contain everything including the kitchen sink, fix nothing that was broken, and are a vehicle for democrats to hide extra spending in.

Rand has suggested one bill at a time for other things. Let him, and let Rubio send forth single issue fixes. I know it’s the senate, but with some cash paid advertising, perhaps some single issue bills can materialize. Then see if Obama will sign them. Why do they have to be full up of distractions for him to sign them, hmmmm?

I like that SG: we have to pass it to find out where the illegals are hiding in it.

Fleuries on May 7, 2013 at 8:47 PM

oh, oh….johnny mccain is getting steamed again. Quick, someone get a TV camera on johnny…lets see johnny gettin all surly and trash talkin Dr. Paul

r keller on May 7, 2013 at 8:49 PM

That’s why I won’t ever support Rand Paul for President – he’s much more losertarian than conservative.

bw222 on May 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM

1986 – “There will be NO more amnesty. We WILL secure our borders!”

Funny about that second part. Seems to have been forgotten in the rush to welcome 2 million new citizens Democrats at the time.

History has a way of repeating itself. Only now it’s not 2 million, it’s maybe 11 million plus 22 million “relatives” back home.

GarandFan on May 7, 2013 at 8:55 PM

…enforce the fluken laws on the books now!
…reform my azz!

KOOLAID2 on May 7, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Worse than Obamacare. It won’t help a single American citizen.

WisCon on May 7, 2013 at 9:02 PM

bw222 on May 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Yeah, Rand Paul has really fizzled of late. I hope Ted Cruz doesn’t end up disappointing too.

FloatingRock on May 7, 2013 at 9:02 PM

So amnesty is a tax, right ?

burrata on May 7, 2013 at 9:07 PM

FloatingRock on May 7, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Cut him some slack. He’s trying to do the impossible (bridge the social conservatives with libertarians).

nobar on May 7, 2013 at 9:08 PM

So amnesty is a tax, right ?

burrata on May 7, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Only for us taxpaying citizens..

Electrongod on May 7, 2013 at 9:15 PM

In its present form, there is a probability that once passed and signed, this immigration “reform” bill will end up costing over ten times what the defense budget will cost.

Priorities…

Immigration, legal immigration, is what built this country.

Illegal immigration, illegals, are a national security matter…no less.

Can we not enforce our present laws, already on the books; secure our own borders…not virtually, but in reality, where it counts; and maybe give this Republic a healthy shot at enduring?

coldwarrior on May 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I’m for free immigration — for amnesty. That said, ain’t going to happen.

Any Democrats pushing a bill anything close to what I want is not working for less restrictive immigration policy — they are trying to cement their base for the next election.

They know they will lose in the House, but that doesn’t bother them at all. If Mr. Obama hadn’t shot his wad on Obamacare, he’d still own the House and could pass whatever immigration bill crossed his mind. I expect that about half of the Republicans would have agreed with a stance that brings the illegals above ground into our economy — at least the ones with otherwise clean records.

Democrats favored legalization by a 76-21 margin, versus 64-34 for Republicans and 70-29 for Independents. There were divisions over whether a bill should eventually grant immigrants citizenship or just permanent residency, however: Democrats favored citizenship over just legal status by a 48-24 margin, Republicans by 38-22, and independents by 39-28.

unclesmrgol on May 7, 2013 at 9:23 PM

the immigration bill is a little bit like ObamaCare right now

Both designed by anti-American psychopaths.

VorDaj on May 7, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Since “”no one is illegal,” I will henceforth refer to them as criminal aliens. We should arrest the criminals, then deport them after their sentences are served and fines are paid.

As for guest workers, I’m all for it. Have the business file the proper paperwork, followed by importing the worker, and force the company to post a bond insuring each worker’s responsible adherence to all of our laws.

The way they are doing it is a slap in the face for all legal immigrants and a sop to their donors. All of Congress should be replaced if this passes.

The only reason we don’t already have a shooting war going on in the US, is that no one really knows whom to shoot to have any effect.

Wino on May 7, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Amigos – comrades – muchachos – friends, we are gathered here as an edifice of the great glory that is now vanishing and the intuitive feeling, based on the assumption as Mencken once said, “He who underestimates the American public will never go broke.” This is merely a small indication to behold and to perceive that which has gone way into the behind and to that which might project .. I mean go forward … out of the mouth … i mean .. the future…we’ve got to rip up the constitution so we can rip down those outdated borders! This is the main deterrent upon which we have gathered our strength and all the others who say, “What the hell did that get?” – We don’t yet know.

Clearly today we must all be aware that political expediency and latino ethnicity takes precedence over rule of law and constitutional procedure. However you say – WTF ! – what does this mean… in relation to the tabulation whereby we must once again realize that the great reconquesta story is now being rehearsed before our very eyes, in the rise of Marco Rubio… indicating that only a two-faced … I mean a bi-faced … I mean a bi-polar … I mean a bi-lingual hombre can receive…the award for reconquesta, unlike Kenyan Hussein Obama whose reconquesta plans don’t drink water.

And as Miller once said in one of his great novels- what did he … that language is only necessary when bilingual communication is endangered. And you sit there bewildered, and Pinter who went further said “It is not the lack of communication, but fear of communication.” That’s what the damn thing is that we fear – communication – especially all the Spanish communication that’s even on a box of Wheaties now. Damn it! But we have no paranoia, and through all this Senator McCain has attained, and has created for himself serenity, and it is only his insanity that has kept him alive in his senility.

Senors y Senoritas, Ladies and Gentlemen. The time will come when a first world America will outlive its usefulness. Marx, either Groucho or Karl, I can’t remember which, maybe it was both or maybe it was Harpo, once said that America is the opiate of the people. I say that when America outlives its usefulness and becomes a majority latino nation , then opium…will be the opiate…Ahh that’s not a bad idea… we are going to need that badly especially when the booze runs out …

And the completely unbiased and bi-partisan panel, has determined to give the grand prize to Marco Rubio for his EARNESTY’S RAINBOW. Now EARNESTY’S RAINBOW is a token of this man’s genius…he told me so himself and repeatedly …that he could change perceptions by calling his plan for knocking down those pesky borders EARNESTY …in other words, he could have been more specific, but rather than allude to an articulation of the mundane, he has come to the conclusion that brevity is the importance of our nation’s shallow first world existence. God damn!

Marco Rubio’s . EARNESTY’S RAINBOW – is a small contribution to a certain degree, since there are over seven billion people in the world today. 450 of them … million live in the United States and Mexico which is a very, very small amount compared to those who will be miserable and dying elsewhere…Well, I say that you will be on the road to new horizons, for we who live in a society where citizenship is a commodity and a politician can become a TV personality, it’s not easy to conform if you have any morality…I, I, I said that myself many years ago…

But I do want to thank la Raza…I mean the RNC … I mean the DNC and it’s subsidiary the RNC, the organization for the $1,000 in affirmative action latino scholarships they’ve given out…tonight they took in over $4,000,000, but they do have expenses for their consultants you know, and I think that I have another appointment. I would like to stay here, but for the sake of brevity I, I must leave. I do want to thank you, and I want to thank Marco Rubio – acting el Presidenta of la Raza Mexiamerica and also Mr. Obama – acting Phara

RasThavas on May 7, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Rubio goes FAKE MEAN

thatsafactjack on May 7, 2013 at 9:30 PM

This much we know for sure – there will be about as much in the way of borders in RubioBorders as there is care in ObamaCare.

VorDaj on May 7, 2013 at 9:30 PM

What I noted is that Paul identified himself so pointedly as a ‘Conservative.’ He may be thinking that he is competing with Cruz for the base vote. Sometimes Libertarian, sometimes Conservative. He’s not a dumb guy (politically speaking). If this continues, maybe we’ll finally have an interesting Presidential race next time around. He’s still weak at this moment on “immigration” (i.e., citizenizing criminals).

I mean, what is there really to debate here? Build a wall (not a “fence”)and kick out all illegals. Simple. How is this a hard thing to figure out? Why are we even talking about this?

WhatSlushfund on May 7, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Study pegs cost of immigration reform bill at $6.3 trillion, critics argue that making illegals legal will generate more tax revenues and they will get better jobs

So illegals being made legal is supposed to equate to them moving up the jobs ladder and paying in more tax dollars.

Here’s the problem. 47% of all illegal aliens currently in the US don’t have a high school diploma. 48% of all immigrants legal and illegal who’ve been in the US for over twenty years are on at least one of the 83 separate means tested federal welfare programs.

Why do lawmakers suppose that those who get rewarded for breaking federal immigration law, and any other law they found inconvenient, will pay taxes?

thatsafactjack on May 7, 2013 at 9:35 PM

nobar on May 7, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Exactly. About the only thing the two share in common is a dislike of taxes. The two groups, though they are not libtards by any means, have such radically different morals, goals, and ideal Americas that I’m amazed Rand’s done as well as he has.

Rubio goes FAKE MEAN

thatsafactjack on May 7, 2013 at 9:30 PM

How appropriate for the FAKE MAN that he is.

MelonCollie on May 7, 2013 at 9:35 PM

bw222 on May 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I don’t much like libertarians either, but if the choice is Rubio or Jeb Bush or him I’m sure as hell picking Rand.

MelonCollie on May 7, 2013 at 9:37 PM

The bill isn’t a starting point – existing law is a starting point. Building a fence is a starting point.

When that’s done, come back and we’ll talk.

Midas on May 7, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Illegals, suddenly made legal, aren’t going to *pay* income taxes – they’re going to get *refunds* – earned income credits – the same bull squeeze crap that citizens today who make next to nothing get *back* without paying *in*. These people get back more than they put in, *and* they cost more in welfare/entitlements on top of that. Illegals, suddenly made legal, won’t be any different.

Midas on May 7, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Libertarians should be for reform in all areas of government, but you can’t say with a straight face that 900 pages written in secret by big labor, big business and ethnic special interests will accomplish that task.

This bill increases government control over immigration. It adds billions in new spending and hundreds, perhaps thousands of new government employees. It gives the DHS unprecedented control to interpret laws as they see fit which includes hundreds of exemptions, waivers and exceptions.

Our current situation of porous borders and lax enforcement which allows for movement of labor to fill demand is more libertarian than an increased and arbitrary quota of unskilled immigrants entering the country legally.

I agree MelonCollie. I have issues with Rand, but no way in hell I would vote for Rubio or Bush in a primary or general election.

Wigglesworth on May 7, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Some highlights from the Heritage report:

>If amnesty is enacted, the average adult unlawful immigrant would receive $592,000 more in government benefits over his lifetime than he would pay in taxes.

>The lifetime fiscal deficit of amnesty — benefits minus taxes — would be $6.3 trillion, and that’s a conservative estimate.

When those granted amnesty retire and collect Social Security, they would draw $3.00 out of the pot for every $1.00 they paid in.

>In 2010, the average unlawful immigrant household received around $24,721 in government benefits and services while paying some $10,334 in taxes. That means that each illegal immigrant household today costs taxpayers $14,387 per year. Amnesty would provide unlawful households with access to over 80 means-tested welfare programs, Obamacare, Social Security, and Medicare. The fiscal deficit for each household would soar.

lynncgb on May 7, 2013 at 10:19 PM

lynncgb on May 7, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Yes. The elected elite is flunking math and history.

The new Immigration Fiasco compares to Roman Emperors paying barbarians to behave. See how that worked out in the history books.

It is the worst giveaway since Reagan’s stroke of genius but this one will make President Carter’s brilliant Panama Canal gift look like a mere Rubbermaid door prize.

Numerous ‘right wing’ or ‘conservative’ experts have attacked Heritage on their report on a methodological basis.

I bet H will strike back.

IlikedAUH2O on May 7, 2013 at 10:41 PM

This thing is not going to pass folks…

Because it is a ungodly massive thing which will become and even more ungodly massive once everybody gets their 2 cents in. We have a president who is more interested in giving speeches bemoaning that the world has not recognized that he is the greatest man ever, and has no interest in getting involved in any of this (which to border hawks is a good thing I suppose) other than give speech after speech.

In order to get it out of the senate (which right now looks like a stretch) they are going to have to lard it up with goodies and that will get it killed in the house.

If the bill was broken down into parts some of it might pass, but the Dems hate small bills because it is harder to hide all the junk they want to add, some of related to immigration and some not. Like what do you do with a gay male illegal who wants to have multiple husbands but who also wants to have abortions paid for them but can’t read any of the forms because he can’t speak or read English but…

I am only half joking on that…but this is how far this thing has gone into the weeds…:)

William Eaton on May 7, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Real political leadership is setting priorities and bills like this are the exact opposite of what is needed in a faltering economy. If the CBO says it will cost more than $1, we can’t do it.

Real leaders would be able to explain to America that we just can’t afford this, so, whatever you think about the merits of hispanic immigration, it just does not matter right now.

Same thing with gay marriage and gun-control: not important.

Rand Paul would be better served working on bigger ideas, rather than commenting on “what’s for breakfast” in DC.

virgo on May 8, 2013 at 2:07 AM

The terrorist attack in Boston should have killed immigration reform by now.

monalisa on May 8, 2013 at 7:37 AM

It’s even worse than ObamaCare. At least if we elect some Republicans with spines, we can repeal ObamaCare and start over. However, once you give Amnesty to millions of illegals, there’s no going back.

MPan on May 8, 2013 at 7:38 AM

More light on it Rand!!

RealMc on May 8, 2013 at 7:40 AM

MPan on May 8, 2013 at 7:38 AM

That’s why just about everyone here, with good reason, threw Rubio over the edge when he went full-bore shamnesty and will do the same to Rand if he does the same. The Dems get another ten million Democrat voting illegals on the rolls, each with 4-6 bambinos each who will all grow up to vote Democrat, and they win the final battle.

MelonCollie on May 8, 2013 at 12:27 PM