Open thread: Mark Sanford vs. Elizabeth Colbert Busch in SC-1 special election; Update: Sanford wins

posted at 6:01 pm on May 7, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

In the final test tonight, the voters of South Carolina’s first Congressional district will decide whether or not to indeed award former and formerly disgraced Republican governor Mark Sanford with another shot at political office, or to act completely out of character and elect Democratic candidate Elizabeth Colbert Busch to now-Sen. Tim Scott’s former seat. Sanford’s campaign has been almost a comeback-within-a-comeback; the bottom momentarily fell out after revelations surfaced that he violated his divorce settlement by trespassing at his wife’s home earlier this year and national Republicans subsequently decided to leave him to his own devices. He’s since gotten somewhat back on track, however, and although the race is still in tossup territory, it sounds like the wind just might be at his back.

The kicker, I suppose, will really be if enough of the deeply red district’s Republican voters stay home or turn out to cast their ballots for Sanford — whether or not it’s a vote in actual support of Sanford, or simply a vote against a Democrat taking the seat. Says Betsy Woodruff at NRO:

In about 24 hours, we’ll start getting results on one of the most colorful House races in recent memory. A South Carolina GOP insider close to the Sanford campaign tells me that Republicans are hoping for turnout to be between 13 and 19 percent. If turnout is in that window, as it was in the primary, then Sanford will probably have a good night. The same insider says that if African Americans in the district vote at the same rate that they did in the November 2012 elections, “then there will be some troubles.”

She also mentions that, after he cast his vote for himself earlier today, Sanford told reporters that he “won’t run again if he loses tonight. He’s had his shot at redemption, he said, and he won’t take more than one.” …Ahem. I will refrain from comment on that one.

It’s difficult to know what turnout is going to look like until it’s over, and the polls are open until 7 P.M. eastern — you can follow the live results here from Politico, and I’ll update with the winner when it’s announced.

Whichever party wins, the other will have a lot of esplainin’ to do — the Colbert Busch camp because the Democrats have sunk over $1 million into the race for naught, or the Sanford camp on how they could possibly have managed to lose the crimson district. Either way, I’d definitely put this bizarre race down in the “not even a little bit indicative of the 2014 midterms” category.

Update: You can follow the county-by-county results here; they’re already rolling in.

Update: I’m going to hold it in until it’s official, but the Twitters has some thoughts:

Update: Aaand, it’s official: With 226/317 precincts reporting, the AP is calling it for Sanford with 54 percent of the vote.

Update: The comeback is complete. Somewhere, Anthony Weiner is paying attention.

Former Republican South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford revived a scandal-scarred political career by winning back his old congressional seat Tuesday in a district that hasn’t elected a Democrat in three decades.

The comeback was complete when he defeated Democrat Elizabeth Colbert Busch, the sister of political satirist Stephen Colbert. With 87 percent of the precincts reporting, Sanford had 54 percent of the vote.

Update: “We gave it a heck of a fight,” says Colbert Busch:

And yet:

“I have a question for y’all: How many of you want to change Washington, D.C.?” Sanford said to cheers from supporters in Charleston, declaring that voters had sent “a message to Washington, D.C., and a messenger to Washington, D.C., on the importance of changing things in that fair city.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Just curious, prior to being overwhelmed by Argentenian poonani, Sanford was respected and did fine on the shows I saw him on.

He turned out to be a big disappointment as I had high hopes for him.

As long as he stays off the topic of his “soul mate” he should be fine.

arnold ziffel on May 7, 2013 at 9:15 PM

The problem of course is the Earth could be under impending attack from space aliens, and if Mark Sanford went on the Sunday morning shows at least four of the five would want to talk exclusively about his Argentine “soul mate” and breaking into his ex’s house on Super Bowl Sunday.

If he goes to Congress and acts like the least-senior Republican in the House caucus and votes the way he said he would, everything will be fine. If he can’t resist the urge he had back in 2009 to make Mark Sanford a leading voice (if not the leading voice) in conservative Republican politics and shows a Chuck Schumer-like urge to be in front of any camera with a red light on, look out below.

jon1979 on May 7, 2013 at 9:45 PM

How will House Rs keep Sanford quiet?….

If they can figure that out, will it work on Larry Sabato?

Another Drew on May 7, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Stop worrying about what people say about Republicans. The Right and/or the Tea Party has been blamed for every crazy violent event since Obama took office and while no once has it been true, it happens every time. Send the people to D.C. that will make the correct votes and more importantly, get rid of those who don’t.

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 9:35 PM

My opposition to Sanford from the get-go stems from my admiration for the man who held this seat before him. Even if we subtract the fact we’ve handed the Democrats a weapon today, this seat is better spent on a young, fresh face who might actually go somewhere and do something with it. I want another Tim Scott, not a disgraced liar retread who’s never going anywhere and will never do anything useful beyond rubber stamp votes the right way.

alchemist19 on May 7, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Congrats to Sanford. You’d better keep your head on straight from now on.

22044 on May 7, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Both of them.

Happy Nomad on May 7, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I think most RINOs are just supplicating beta males who want acceptance from their Democrat friends and colleagues. The rest of us want to win and grind the American Left into the ground.

Lesson from 2008: War hero who had more stones facing the Vietnamese than he did fat, balding Senate aristocrats foolishly ruining the country so that they could expire while in office lose national elections. See also: Bob Dole.

Lesson from 2012: Awkward, nice guy New England patricians who marinated in the loony bin that is today’s Ivy League lose national elections. See also: George H.W. Bush

This isn’t very hard to understand. You run a charismatic, savvy, conservative guy or gal with middle class roots and win, win, win.

Punchenko on May 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Rinos only want the republican to win if it’s their kind of republican, you know a “moderate” non-social con. If it’s a social con or a Republican to the Right of Scott Brown they prefer the democrat

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I have a spine. I’m the one who looked at Mark Sanford and said “We can do better.” The country is on the verge of ruin but the fight won’t be won or lost on this one small battlefield. But now the Democrats have a new poster boy for War on Women 2.0 and we just handed them the fresh new club to beat us with. It’s another self-inflicted wound. How can you be so blind that you can’t see this coming?

alchemist19 on May 7, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Who gives a crap? Why aren’t you discussing his opponent bimbo’s criminal record?

Why should anyone care if someone was divorced or cheated on a spouse IF their record of public office suits the rest of us just fine? Tell me how McConnell and Boehner are doing their jobs for us, by your measure they should be doing incredible jobs.

Enough with this crap about what happens in someone’s bedroom, not your business nor mine. The guy has a great public service record and its the only thing we should be discussing not worrying about. And no, do not bring Weiner into discussion, an entirely new ball game BY ANY MEASURE.

riddick on May 7, 2013 at 9:52 PM

alchemist19 on May 7, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I think Sen. Scott is a prince among men and I wish we could have an entire Congress of people just like him. But we can’t. Humans are humans, Sanford was a good governor and a good former Representative. Don’t stop looking for better people. This lady was far from squeaky clean.

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I am glad for him, for his state, for conservative principles and the country.

He is a proven workaholic, working for conservative principles. However, now that he has a hot new mama, that working around the clock thing might not be the first thing on his mind!

And his ex wife is a biatch! She deserved what she got (not the kids tho; that is always a tough situation). Although, I must say he did not handle it very well (are they ever handled well?). Hopefully, he won’t use the term “soul mate” again. It probably is true, at least until they have a huge fight and decided not to speak to one another for a day or two LOL!

Amjean on May 7, 2013 at 9:53 PM

An experienced politician from a conservative state beat someone whose only known for being the sister of a tv clown? Yeah, nobody saw that coming.

Ellis on May 7, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I’m not even going to read it. I applaud the Great State of South Carolina.
You can’t pick your family, and that goes both ways.

seesalrun2 on May 7, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Here’s the bottom line as far as I’m concerned.

Mark Sanford had an ugly divorce because of his own stupidity but that is largely a private matter and not part of the election. My own Congressman is on his third marriage and has domestic abuse charges against him along with hitting a child.

The Dems wanted and ECB win to be able to make this race into an omen for 2014 and spent a million to influence the outcome. The DoJ decided they needed poll watchers because the supposedly close race would have provided Eric Holder with reasons why demanding identification before voting was wrong.

This is a good day for America even though I don’t like Mark Sanford.

Happy Nomad on May 7, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Wow. If this guy can win with this baggage in this state, I would think a Republican could win anywhere…except California, New York, and Illinois (103 electoral votes).

NoPain on May 7, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Happy Nomad on May 7, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Moran?

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Being single and somewhat a philanderer myself, I’m thinking of hitting on Sanford’s babe next time in DC. She’s hot and he’s not a personal friend of mine, though I know him, so all is fair in love and lust in these situations. If she’ll go for him, given his situation at the time, I’m sure I got a good chance at her. And, I can even do poetry, too.

TXUS on May 7, 2013 at 9:57 PM

When communist trash such as Rangel, Waters, Menendez and a good number of others are FIRED from their jobs in Congress we can discuss minor (by Congressional standards) transgressions of Sanford. Until that time, just shut the hell up and move on.

I am sure he’ll be a WAY BETTER servant in the House than the likes of Boehner, Cantor and Ryan, just to list a few.

riddick on May 7, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Will let you know Happy nomad :)

cmsinaz on May 7, 2013 at 9:58 PM

alchemist19 on May 7, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Any attacks from the party that has Bill Clinton campaigning for their candidates in person across the country will fall flat.

TheDriver on May 7, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Weiner shows his and Sanford marries his; while both are wrong one is a mental illness and the other a moral transgression.

Tater Salad on May 7, 2013 at 10:00 PM

That’s gross, Txus.

DTTS on May 7, 2013 at 10:00 PM

TXUS on May 7, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Well, it’s a poor dog that can’t wag his own tail. Do you have to grease your head to get it through doors? ///

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 10:02 PM

As long as we are a pro life party, we will be considered anti woman even if every candidate has a pristine personal life. This isn’t going to make any difference.

Rose on May 7, 2013 at 10:02 PM

In case anyone is interested-Sanford won by 9%!

redware on May 7, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Mark Sanford is an embarrassment to the Republican Party and to human beings in general, and frankly, I’ve lost all hope of ever seeing this country get back on the right path. I mean, those were two really ROTTEN choices, but what does it say about the people of that district that they couldn’t field anyone better? It’s not just that district either. This is the same kind of crappy non-choice too many of us are faced with when we go to the ballot box.

How are we EVER going to recover when we can’t find honest, decent people to represent us? Or are we just so corrupt and soulless ourselves that we no longer even expect better?

Murf76 on May 7, 2013 at 10:03 PM

And, I can even do poetry, too.

TXUS on May 7, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I’d like to take this opportunity to spam point to a poem about kissing a witchy-woman. Not that I’d know. Yet.

Not for adultery.

The Mirage.

Axe on May 7, 2013 at 10:03 PM

It is disgusting to bring up Weiner, who was sending unsolicited pictures of his genitals to underaged girls.

But so much of the disinformation has come from national Republicans and so-called “conservatives” who are nothing more than blue-nosed, Bible-thumping, big-spending Establishment drones, it even fooled some of our local people into doubting what they knew.

Next time, maybe some of these very generous volunteer advisers could straighten out their own House and Senate delegations first, before you stick your noses where you have no business.

Adjoran on May 7, 2013 at 10:03 PM

riddick on May 7, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I read that Rangel is appealing his wrist slap. They can’t even pretend to disapprove of these Lefties.

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 10:04 PM

redware on May 7, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I’m a tad disappointed, I was hoping for double digits.

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Please don’t think I had any love for ECB. I’d want her out of Congress the second she got there but I judged that to be a lesser price to pay than seeing Mark Sanford clog up a valuable piece of real estate for the next decade or two. If we don’t get Lindsey Graham primaried this time around then we’ll need a strong bench for the next go-around in 2020 and anyone-but-Sanford would have a better chance of being the one to do that than Sanford would.

alchemist19 on May 7, 2013 at 10:06 PM

As a close neighbor and huge fan of the great state of South Carolina, I’m not surprised that Sanford won. Great news!

mike_NC9 on May 7, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Amazing, isn’t it? And Waters got off scott free with moving millions to her husband’s bank, not even a slap on the wrist. Menendez will be found not guilty, mark my words, they already bought all they could.

Sanford’s opponent having criminal record is not even being discussed.

And idiots are worried about Sanford getting a divorce?

riddick on May 7, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 10:02 PM

LOL, a good one!

TXUS on May 7, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I hope this is another no vote on amnesty for illegal aliens.

Wigglesworth on May 7, 2013 at 10:09 PM

alchemist19 on May 7, 2013 at 9:46 PM

That young, fresh face didn’t win the primary. You go with the options you’re presented with, and it’s better to have a Republican hold the seat than a Dem. And, I think the concerns about him being a weapon for the Dems are overstated. For one thing they’ll attack regardless, and it’s not like they don’t have plenty of examples we can point to of bad behavior.

changer1701 on May 7, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I’m a tad disappointed, I was hoping for double digits.

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I’m actually surprised it was not much closer what with GOJ being there no doubt making sure union buses from neighboring states bringing “voters” in. No other reason for Holder to do that.

So, the 9% margin is really incredible in this context.

riddick on May 7, 2013 at 10:10 PM

This is a good day for America even though I don’t like Mark Sanford.

Happy Nomad on May 7, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I think that sums it up for a lot of us.

Reggie1971 on May 7, 2013 at 10:11 PM

The Mirage.

Axe on May 7, 2013 at 10:03 PM

That’s a really good poem, actually. I think I’ll use it, down the line. ;-)

TXUS on May 7, 2013 at 10:11 PM

I hope this is another no vote on amnesty for illegal aliens.

Wigglesworth on May 7, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Too bad it will be cancelled by another GOPer with impeccable personal life record. Not sure if it will be Boehner or some other RINO…

riddick on May 7, 2013 at 10:13 PM

That’s a really good poem, actually. I think I’ll use it, down the line. ;-)

TXUS on May 7, 2013 at 10:11 PM

lol — And thanks. :) (That second smile is more like a beam. Can’t hide it.)

Axe on May 7, 2013 at 10:14 PM

alchemist19 on May 7, 2013 at 10:06 PM

It’s not that I don’t understand, I just don’t agree. NEVER give a Democrat a win. There is no moral high ground and the message you think you sent, isn’t the one received. You’re not dealing with sane people. And as much as I hate to say it, y’all will never get rid of Miz Lindsey because he’s right most of the time. Don’t get me wrong, he irritates the living tar out of me when he’s on the wrong side of an issue but he will bluff his away around those come primary time.

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 10:16 PM

riddick on May 7, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I already addressed some of my disappointment in my response to Cindy, and I had no love for ECB whatsoever, it’s that with Sanford in even if we ignore the Democrats using him as a campaign tool, it’s a waste of a seat. Mark Sanford will never run for the Senate. Mark Sanford will never be governor again. Mark Sanford will never run for president. The last person to hold this same seat is already in the Senate and may one day climb even higher. In a district where the GOP can elect basically anyone they want (as proven today) we should be able to find better than a guy who’s not going to go anywhere or ever do anything.

alchemist19 on May 7, 2013 at 10:17 PM

alchemist19 on May 7, 2013 at 10:17 PM

The GOP has been nailing their own coffin shut with railroad spikes for the last several years by failing to run anything but barrel-scrapings against the Democrats. 2008 was the pinnacle of that mentality: an addled old fart who was a Bush-lite retread…versus the young suave Lightbringer with silky-smooth speeches written for him.

We all know how THAT turned out.

MelonCollie on May 7, 2013 at 10:20 PM

alchemist19 on May 7, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I keep thinking about the general awfulness of Senator Lindsey Graham. Sanford is far, far preferable to Graham in the big picture and Sanford is more in tune with the values of South Carolina. Yet Senator Graham has high approval ratings. Maybe Sanford can be an effective spokesman on fiscal issues, if he keeps quiet on social issues.

thuja on May 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM

changer1701 on May 7, 2013 at 10:10 PM

They’ll attack regardless but it’s a more effective attack if you have a face and specific antic to point to. We all remember Alan Grayson, right? He was the GOP’s best friend in 2010 because he went out and spouted an endless series of stupid things that ticked us all off and got our wallets open. Same rules apply. No reason to give the left another weapon to attack us with when we have a country to try and save.

alchemist19 on May 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM

riddick on May 7, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Gee, I sure hope a lot of big name Libbies went down to campaign for Colbert’s sister. As for Menendez, that underage chick thing, who gives a flying flip? But that garbage he pulled for the dentist in Florida is huge. We need to put a stop to that on both sides of the aisle. I’m just sick of it.

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM

alchemist19 on May 7, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I’m going to keep my eye on Sen. Scott. I had high hopes for Marco Rubio but it didn’t take long for DC to get the better of him. Sen. Scott seems to be hanging on to his principles. He’s low key but that’s not all bad either.

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 10:24 PM

MelonCollie on May 7, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I was obsessing over how second rate most politicians are before I read your statements. My conclusion upon thinking over how bad most politicians are is that the GOP wants to run the best candidates it can and those candidates are a reflection of us. Human beings aren’t that wise or thoughtful or even articulate. Let’s not be harsh about the GOP.

thuja on May 7, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Normally I wouldn’t advocate the strategy I would have liked to see play out today. If these same candidates had met in November 2012 or 2014 I’d have been backing Sanford all the way because the issue of control of the House would be at stake and that’s worth giving the libs the club. I think there’s room to be a bit more discerning when you’re in a special election where you know going in that the outcome won’t affect the balance of power in the House. But it’s over and what’s done is done; I’m still going to think it’s a shame to see the seat go to waste and I hope leadership can keep Sanford off the Sunday morning shows and away from the TV cameras.

I would happily be wrong about what’s going to come of this whole mess, I’m just afraid I’m not.

alchemist19 on May 7, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Adjoran on May 7, 2013 at 10:03 PM

And here is where I realized you were a troll.

The establishment absolutely hates so-cons with a white-hot passion. Surely you must *have* a Bible to tote around to impress the bitter clingers but you better not *actually believe* in anything it says or have its moral precepts shape your policy perspectives – you know like caring for the poor being an individual calling not a mandate for more government spending – or perhaps an incentive structure that doesn’t reward cohabitation and familial instability.

I think Weiner is fair game, personally. As is Gosnell. As is BillJ Clinton. Unethical Rangel. Fake Catholics, etc.

BKennedy on May 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM

alchemist19 on May 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Hard to believe that any such attack will be singularly effective in light of the rolling disaster that is the “affordable” health care law. It will be difficult to find a large enough ‘squirrel’ to take the general populations eye off of that particular ball. 2016, maybe, 2014, not so much.

wolfsDad on May 7, 2013 at 10:32 PM

For love-drunk gents waking up in exotic locales, again, Paul Simon:

A man walks down the street
It’s a street in a strange world
Maybe it’s the Third World
Maybe it’s his first time around

He doesn’t speak the language
He holds no currency
He is a foreign man
He is surrounded by the sound
The sound

Cattle in the marketplace
Scatterlings and orphanages
He looks around, around
He sees angels in the architecture
Spinning in infinity
He says Amen. Hallelujah!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 7, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Every time the liberal media brings it up he should just mention Bill Clinton’s name. With Hillary running they won’t want to go there.

Dollayo on May 7, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I think our disappointment with Rubio was easily predictable from the beginning. If you listened carefully, he was telling us before he was elected Senator.
Because Scott has had long experience in holding to his values as a black conservative, my expectation is that Scott will disappoint you only mildly. (And you must expect some disappointment because you and Scott are not the same person.)

thuja on May 7, 2013 at 10:35 PM

wolfsDad on May 7, 2013 at 10:32 PM

In 2014 we should be able to run axe murders and win races if history holds true. I’m thinking longer-term though. Sanford is only 52 and now he’ll be in that seat for as long as he wants to be there so he will still be a convenient whipping boy for the left in 2016 and beyond. Plus if he’s dumb enough to do all the stupid things he’s done so far then he’s probably dumb enough to do more stupid things down the road. I feel like we’ve elected a time bomb.

alchemist19 on May 7, 2013 at 10:39 PM

thuja on May 7, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I think I was swayed by Rubio’s obvious love of country, something I don’t think we see enough of. I even understand that he would like everyone to have the experience that he and his family have had but that’s not how it works. More stupid laws added to ones that aren’t enforced now are not the answer.

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Larry Sabato @LarrySabato

3 Qs: How will House Rs keep Sanford quiet? Will he be on TV so much he’s new face of GOP? Will any top R ‘primary’ Sanford in ’14? #SC1
6:26 PM – 7 May 2013

Honestly, what is worse? A philanderer or two old queens, McCain and Graham, who f^ck their own party?

AllahsNippleHair on May 7, 2013 at 10:42 PM

AllahsNippleHair on May 7, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I’ll take the philanderer for $1K, Alex.

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 10:43 PM

alchemist19 on May 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM

What is this attack, exactly? That the GOP is anti-woman because this guy had an affair? That doesn’t make sense, and it wouldn’t fly besides. Again, there are plenty of faces we can point to as well. Alan Grayson may have been fodder for blogs, but nationally it didn’t matter. Neither will Sanford’s follies.

And, isn’t having a Dem take a GOP seat giving the Dems a weapon?

changer1701 on May 7, 2013 at 10:46 PM

AllahsNippleHair on May 7, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I’ll take the philanderer for $1K, Alex.

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Me too, Ms. Munford.

AllahsNippleHair on May 7, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Blowhard.

ExpressoBold on May 7, 2013 at 10:48 PM

@Bishop on May 7, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Don’t be the guy who taunts people for typos – Bishop. Oh, wait. You are that guy.

Because you can tell that i thought trespass had an extra “a”. I’m a moron for being a poor editor. You’re a moron for pulling against the guy on our team. Who is more stoopid? (Sp?)

Framkly, I’ve lost a lot of respect for “Hot Gas” – and I was an old Captain’s Quarters fan.

Oh well. I’m actually having bourbon *and* water. I’m happy. My district will be represented by a hard core fiscal conservative who has the chops to take on Obama – and isn’t beholding to the national GOP.

Sucks to be the rest of you who were rooting *against* Sanford. Remind me again which side y’all are on?

tryptic on May 7, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I personally think that Sanford is a schmuck-but I live in TX. My opinion doesn’t mean jack. The SC district’s votes wanted Sanford. I wish Rep. Sanford the best of luck.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 7, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Blowhard.

ExpressoBold on May 7, 2013 at 10:48 PM

I wanna nuke it and start over.

AllahsNippleHair on May 7, 2013 at 10:50 PM

By the way…for all the talk of low turnout…WRONG. From http://www.scvotes.org

Registered Voters: 455,702
Ballots Cast: 143,774
Voter Turnout: 31.55 %

SouthernGent on May 7, 2013 at 10:52 PM

The people on Twitchy are too funny about this election.

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 10:53 PM

And, isn’t having a Dem take a GOP seat giving the Dems a weapon?

changer1701 on May 7, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Sure Grayson was mainly blog and talk radio fodder. You’re not discounting the usefulness of that, are you? Blog and talk radio fodder gets your base fired up and that’s how wallets get opened. I want to step on the left’s throat and so I’m opposed to giving them anything they can use to try to rally their dispirited troops after the inevitable second term malaise really sets in. Beating Mark Sanford eighteen months removed from the 2014 midterms seems less damaging than giving Sanford a platform to say or do something else really stupid between now and then.

alchemist19 on May 7, 2013 at 10:55 PM

alchemist19 on May 7, 2013 at 10:39 PM

An axe murderer or a man with options (Sanford) would win more women voters than, say, a weepy Rick Santorum sporting a sweater vest.

No one likes a beta male. It is what it is.

Punchenko on May 7, 2013 at 10:55 PM

tryptic on May 7, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Stop generalizing and whining and go have another drink. It’s a win, revel in it!!!

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Low standards.

rjl1999 on May 7, 2013 at 10:57 PM

rjl1999 on May 7, 2013 at 10:57 PM

I have low standards? I’ll take a flawed conservative over a socialist everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. So, yeah!

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Three words.

John Freakin’ Kennedy

If they want to pull out the war on women card, then the GOP can counter with the Dems own heroes.

How about 2 more words?

John Edwards.

2 more?

Bill Clinton.

Let’s give them their war…

Skywise on May 7, 2013 at 11:14 PM

This is the first election where voter ID was used in South Carolina.

Voter ID prevents Democrats from stealing elections.

sentinelrules on May 7, 2013 at 11:17 PM

alchemist19 on May 7, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Sanford will run for Senate or Gov eventually.

McCain cheated on his wife. He ran for President. I didn’t see many people tearing their hair out over that… or even pretending to
care. McCain’s current wife was his mistress.

Pathetic that most people didn’t really care about Colbert-Bucsh’s arrest record either.

Anything to attack the Republican.

tetriskid on May 7, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM

The former can be dealt with, the latter a bridge too far.

TXUS on May 7, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Any Republican in a storm!

The beauty of the thing is he beat Ted Turner’s son in the primary and then Colbrt’s sister.

i love South Carolina, home of Palmetto State Armory!

claudius on May 7, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Great win tonight. Remember, our opponents still have Maxine Waters and Charlie Rangel in their conference, among others. Not excusing Sanford, just saying they, who have no scruples or moral compass, expect our guys to be choir boys while they think nothing of reelecting their worst for worse offenses.

crrr6 on May 7, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Golly… what did super-de-dooper math prophet Nate Silver have to say about this election?

Didn’t he predict this ahead of time? Coz’ I’m sure if Colbert had won this would’ve been a statistical confirmation that the Democrats were going to take back the house just as he predicted…

Skywise on May 7, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I’m just glad that ass Stephan Colbert’s sister lost.

OxyCon on May 7, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Talk about holding your nose, and having to pick the lesser of two evils. The people hurt most by DeMint’s retirement, SC-1. They lost DeMint as their senator, and a great congressmen (Scott, who filled the seat of DeMint). SC-1 was on the loosing side of that deal. I guess it could have been worse, Busch could have won.

ritewhit on May 7, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Sources said sleazy Eric Holder is kicking himself for not getting vote fraud for the DNC underway earlier though he did brag about delivering 154% of the Palm Beach County vote for Colbert-Busch has he managed for Obarky in 2012.

viking01 on May 7, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Our sleezes are better than their sleezes.

TitularHead on May 7, 2013 at 11:54 PM

I can even do poetry, too.

TXUS on May 7, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Limericks. I hear limericks will do the trick. The nastier, the better.

socalcon on May 7, 2013 at 11:56 PM

While I almost always prefer the R candidate, I can’t support Sanford and fear that he will further embarrass the Republican brand. I think I’d rather see Busch embarrass the Democrats. Go Busch!

Daryl on May 7, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Only a moron could think one could embarrass a Dim.

rik on May 7, 2013 at 7:34 PM

LOL. Good point.

Darryl is exactly right. The Republican majority in the House already can hold down the fort for conservatives until 2014. Let ECB have this one for now. We’ll win it back in 2014 with a less embarrassing candidate.

MinnesotaSlinger on May 7, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Thanks Slinger. That was my exact thought. Wished I’d worded it closer to your comment.

Oh well, Sanford won. I hope he proves me wrong. I also hope this district finds a less embarrassing candidate in 2014.

Daryl on May 8, 2013 at 12:23 AM

@Bishop on May 7, 2013 at 9:34 PM

You’re not as smart as Bishop to call this jerk a “member of your team”.

Conservatives either hold up clear moral standards or abandon any pretense of morality. This guy is a fraud- voted to impeach Clinton for lying about an affair- and the worst kind of hypocrite. Why the GOP in SC couldn’t nominate a respectable candidate is very, very hard to understand.

bayam on May 8, 2013 at 12:32 AM

alchemist19 on May 7, 2013 at 10:17 PM

What he’s going to do is vote opposite of what the democrat would vote. Who cares if he never runs for President or Senate?I’m glad he ran because he won! How will the dems use him as a campaign tool if they couldn’t beat him this time?

Vince on May 8, 2013 at 12:44 AM

bayam on May 8, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Snort! He won bayam! He won and the democrat with a criminal record lost!

Vince on May 8, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Cindy Munford on May 7, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Rubio revealed his true self during Florida’s GOP primary, which then changed the entire landscape for GOP and led to Romney disaster. If you recall my posts from back then I pointed out who really cost us the 2012 election, Rubio was the name. He is Romney Lite in every regard, another liberal in hiding.

riddick on May 8, 2013 at 12:47 AM

bayam on May 8, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Better than nominating someone with a CRIMINAL RECORD.

You prove once again ow stupid liberals are.

riddick on May 8, 2013 at 12:49 AM

bayam on May 8, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Snort! He won bayam! He won and the democrat with a criminal record lost!

Vince on May 8, 2013 at 12:47 AM

True, lying to your constituents, an entire state, about a trip to a foreign country (a socialist one, by the way) isn’t a crime per se. In fact it’s not even much of a problem according to the GOP leaders behind the nomination of Sanford.

Got to love having this man as a representative of GOP hypocrisy. A gift to Dems.

bayam on May 8, 2013 at 12:53 AM

bayam on May 8, 2013 at 12:53 AM

I did not have sex with that woman…

Vince on May 8, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I wanna nuke it and start over.

AllahsNippleHair on May 7, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I’d say there’s a pretty good chance some bunch of Islamaniacs will do that for you at some point in the future.

trigon on May 8, 2013 at 1:36 AM

alchemist19 on May 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Yeah, this just doesn’t happen in reality. The bottom line is there will always be “Some Kook” the left can attack. If Mark Sanford had lost, the left could have just gone after David Vitter instead. We’re dealing with a party made up of hundreds of national elected officials and thousands of elected officials at the state and local level, not to mention all the activists and spokesman. It is not possible to have a party made of entirely moral and upright and honest people with no blemishes on their records. Even if Todd Akin didn’t exist, the left would invent him. It’s not possible to keep everyone in the party from saying or doing anything stupid. It just isn’t, sorry.

This is why we have to stop dumping decent politicians (or even merely adequate politicians) the minute the media goes after them rather than running away from them at the first hint of trouble. The shaming tactic almost never works on Democrats because they NEVER abandon their candidates.

Doomberg on May 8, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Sanford is a creep, but never forget : The worst Republican is better than the best Democrat.

Jack_Burton on May 8, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Snort! He won bayam! He won and the democrat with a criminal record lost!
Vince on May 8, 2013 at 12:47 AM

And the media didn’t mention said criminal record, the derelict fools. May they combust, spontaneously.

Schadenfreude on May 8, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Doomberg on May 8, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Nuts to this. Yes the left is going to attack us no matter what but that is no reason to make their job easier for them. Nobody is perfect but the fact the ideal is unattainable is not an excuse for lowering our standards. You’re also correct that the Democrats rarely if ever abandon their candidates but I consider it a bug and not a feature that the left will stick by their guys even after murder, rape (allegedly), sexual harassment, adultery, perjury, obstruction of justice, tax evasion and everything else they do. Should we start overlooking those things just because the Democrats do?

alchemist19 on May 8, 2013 at 2:43 AM

alchemist19 on May 8, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Wherever we can find a moral and upright candidate who can win elections, we should obviously prefer them and support them.

However, if the choice is between an adulterous conservative who will definitely vote with us, and a Democrat, I’ll support the conservative every time. This is one of the tools the Democrats have used to successfully win over the years, and if we want to be successful we will have to learn to emulate it.

Doomberg on May 8, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Hahahahaha

Thank God Elizabeth Colbert Busch didn’t win!!!!

LurkerDood on May 8, 2013 at 4:50 AM

How many of you want to change Washington, D.C.?” Sanford said

Straight out of the Obama campaign book…okay he left out “hope.”

Don L on May 8, 2013 at 4:53 AM

Take that, Democrat idiots!

bluegill on May 8, 2013 at 5:17 AM

Remember Schwartzenegger and the groping? Once he was elected govenator he was approached by a reporter who said something about the groping and he stopped , looked at her and with a thick Austrian accent said “Old news”. That was the last you heard about hhe groping. This applies to Sanford now. This victory is his shot at putting that behind him.

famous amos on May 8, 2013 at 6:49 AM