Open thread: Mark Sanford vs. Elizabeth Colbert Busch in SC-1 special election; Update: Sanford wins

posted at 6:01 pm on May 7, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

In the final test tonight, the voters of South Carolina’s first Congressional district will decide whether or not to indeed award former and formerly disgraced Republican governor Mark Sanford with another shot at political office, or to act completely out of character and elect Democratic candidate Elizabeth Colbert Busch to now-Sen. Tim Scott’s former seat. Sanford’s campaign has been almost a comeback-within-a-comeback; the bottom momentarily fell out after revelations surfaced that he violated his divorce settlement by trespassing at his wife’s home earlier this year and national Republicans subsequently decided to leave him to his own devices. He’s since gotten somewhat back on track, however, and although the race is still in tossup territory, it sounds like the wind just might be at his back.

The kicker, I suppose, will really be if enough of the deeply red district’s Republican voters stay home or turn out to cast their ballots for Sanford — whether or not it’s a vote in actual support of Sanford, or simply a vote against a Democrat taking the seat. Says Betsy Woodruff at NRO:

In about 24 hours, we’ll start getting results on one of the most colorful House races in recent memory. A South Carolina GOP insider close to the Sanford campaign tells me that Republicans are hoping for turnout to be between 13 and 19 percent. If turnout is in that window, as it was in the primary, then Sanford will probably have a good night. The same insider says that if African Americans in the district vote at the same rate that they did in the November 2012 elections, “then there will be some troubles.”

She also mentions that, after he cast his vote for himself earlier today, Sanford told reporters that he “won’t run again if he loses tonight. He’s had his shot at redemption, he said, and he won’t take more than one.” …Ahem. I will refrain from comment on that one.

It’s difficult to know what turnout is going to look like until it’s over, and the polls are open until 7 P.M. eastern — you can follow the live results here from Politico, and I’ll update with the winner when it’s announced.

Whichever party wins, the other will have a lot of esplainin’ to do — the Colbert Busch camp because the Democrats have sunk over $1 million into the race for naught, or the Sanford camp on how they could possibly have managed to lose the crimson district. Either way, I’d definitely put this bizarre race down in the “not even a little bit indicative of the 2014 midterms” category.

Update: You can follow the county-by-county results here; they’re already rolling in.

Update: I’m going to hold it in until it’s official, but the Twitters has some thoughts:

Update: Aaand, it’s official: With 226/317 precincts reporting, the AP is calling it for Sanford with 54 percent of the vote.

Update: The comeback is complete. Somewhere, Anthony Weiner is paying attention.

Former Republican South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford revived a scandal-scarred political career by winning back his old congressional seat Tuesday in a district that hasn’t elected a Democrat in three decades.

The comeback was complete when he defeated Democrat Elizabeth Colbert Busch, the sister of political satirist Stephen Colbert. With 87 percent of the precincts reporting, Sanford had 54 percent of the vote.

Update: “We gave it a heck of a fight,” says Colbert Busch:

And yet:

“I have a question for y’all: How many of you want to change Washington, D.C.?” Sanford said to cheers from supporters in Charleston, declaring that voters had sent “a message to Washington, D.C., and a messenger to Washington, D.C., on the importance of changing things in that fair city.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

Go Sanford!!

Oh, and Bishop…

JohnGalt23 on May 7, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Jailbird vs the Philanderer!

ConcealedKerry on May 7, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Is this the State that gave us Miss Lindsay Grahamnasty, McStains Slave?
Must be hard up for talent down there.

ConcealedKerry on May 7, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Guess when the $hit hits the fan, we can blame Busch(Bush).

msupertas on May 7, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Mark who ?

listens2glenn on May 7, 2013 at 6:05 PM

YouTube: What is Elizabeth Colbert Busch hiding?

Probably the best political ad ever.

tetriskid on May 7, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Where do they stand om Immigration reform and gun control? With Graham and McStain or against?

ConcealedKerry on May 7, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Tonight’s SC election = Mutual Assured Destruction

portlandon on May 7, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Who cares?

Both parties suck.

PappyD61 on May 7, 2013 at 6:08 PM

ConcealedKerry on May 7, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Issues, for this race?

rob verdi on May 7, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Is this the State that gave us Miss Lindsay Grahamnasty, McStains Slave?
Must be hard up for talent down there.

ConcealedKerry on May 7, 2013 at 6:04 PM

It could be worse.. Arizona has Flake and McCain. I don’t know if even California’s Boxer and Feinsteinn combo are worse.

El_Terrible on May 7, 2013 at 6:09 PM

tetriskid on May 7, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Holy cow. o_0

pambi on May 7, 2013 at 6:12 PM

tetriskid on May 7, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Holy cow. o_0

pambi on May 7, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Holy Mackerel!

fourdeucer on May 7, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Sanford reminds me of a lot of my friends that I grew up with. A bunch of screwups but I wouldn’t take for them. Sanford’s not a bad guy and compared to most of the republicans he’s a lot sharper. If your going to stone every guy who screwed up pretty soon your going to find yourself alone.

rik on May 7, 2013 at 6:18 PM

… after he cast his vote for himself earlier today …

I’m surprised – I thought for sure that he would vote for Colbert Busch.

Pork-Chop on May 7, 2013 at 6:19 PM

When I voted this morning I asked why Colbert Busch was on the ballot twice. I didn’t get an answer but one of the parties she is listed udeer is, I believe, Socialist.
Didn’t see anything in my local paper about her arrest record during her divorce hearing. Hammmmmmmmm wonder why?

Art on May 7, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Hide your daughters and your sheep if Sanford wins.

RovesChins on May 7, 2013 at 6:23 PM

HIde your wallet if Colbert Busch wins idiot!

Art on May 7, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Is it his fault he has all the character of a fourteen year old boy? He found his “soul mate.” She was spicy, from parts unknown, and his heart went thump-thump. Christian ethics (or even just decency) are for rubes and election time.

No. Its society’s fault. We let him down. We should feel bad about ourselves, try to understand him. We should forgive and forget because its convenient and we’re hypocrites.

Curse you, Argentina. Curse you.

Axe on May 7, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Hide your daughters and your sheep if Sanford wins.

RovesChins on May 7, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Classic.

Stoic Patriot on May 7, 2013 at 6:27 PM

tetriskid on May 7, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Holy cow. o_0

pambi on May 7, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Holy Mackerel!

fourdeucer on May 7, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Dude! Chit just got real.

davidk on May 7, 2013 at 6:27 PM

davidk on May 7, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Who ordered the code red?

portlandon on May 7, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Who ordered the code red?

portlandon on May 7, 2013 at 6:32 PM

You can’t handle the truth!

davidk on May 7, 2013 at 6:38 PM

SC – 01 bumper sticker: “This election is important, vote for the philanderer”

simkeith on May 7, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Who cares?

Both parties suck.

PappyD61 on May 7, 2013 at 6:08 PM

There’s nothing wrong (well, almost nothing) with the “This game is stupid! I’m taking my ball and going home!” attitude toward politics. But the follow-up is you shut up about it and let those who still want to play the game play it.

You can’t quit the game and then sit on the sidelines screaming about how much the game sucks. Well, you can – it’s what the Internet seems to be for these days – but no one will like you.

I’m guessing you’re well past the point of caring about that by now.

Dirt McGirt on May 7, 2013 at 6:42 PM

My family lives in SC. I was talking to my brother about Mark Sanford and the people of SC even nominating him, my brother said; what he did was wrong but, he would vote for him over the others, he went on to say he had some really good ideas for the state of SC.

Zcat on May 7, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Art on May 7, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I’ll give you a hint. It starts with the letter D.

Lily on May 7, 2013 at 6:47 PM

El_Terrible on May 7, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Understand the hyperbole, but that isn’t even a close choice. At least Flake and McCain get it right once in a while. Boxer & Feinstein? Never. Ever. Not even once. Every choice they make is a bad one.

AZfederalist on May 7, 2013 at 6:47 PM

El_Terrible

Oh, yes. They are.

BubbaCluck on May 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I had no problem, whatsoever, with casting my ballot for the conservative.

famous amos on May 7, 2013 at 6:53 PM

El_Terrible on May 7, 2013 at 6:09 PM

AZfederalist on May 7, 2013 at 6:47 PM

El_Terrible

Oh, yes. They are.

BubbaCluck on May 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Well, Senators Ma’am and Feensteen aren’t hypocrites. Well, yes they are.

davidk on May 7, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Art on May 7, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Apparently, any candidate can be nominated by multiple parties in S.C. …

But, wouldn’t this would split her vote between the two parties, and diminish her chances? It is strange.

Pork-Chop on May 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I don’t understand how anyone can possibly be hoping the far left zealot Cobert-Busch wins over Sanford. As a woman I find his actions deplorable, but he votes the right way, and at time when amnesty and more gun control are a few votes from becoming a reality, this is definitely NOT the time to “stand on some bs morality ledge.”

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Park chop
I read that her votes will be combined…. all legal

cmsinaz on May 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM

David Burge ‏@iowahawkblog 6 May

Prediction: the media will spend 10x more resources investigating the Benghazi whistleblowers than they spent investigating Benghazi.

Retweet
Favorite

David Burge David Burge ‏@iowahawkblog 6 May

These so-called Benghazi “whistleblowers” obviously have a petty political vendetta against Hillary just because she left them to die.

davidk on May 7, 2013 at 7:02 PM

If a nutjob like ECB can win in SC we deserve Amnesty and more gun control legislation.

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:02 PM

El_Terrible on May 7, 2013 at 6:09 PM

AZfederalist on May 7, 2013 at 6:47 PM

If we’re being honest, all four suck if you’re a conservative.

RovesChins on May 7, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I read that her votes will be combined…. all legal

cmsinaz on May 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Oh. Weird.

Pork-Chop on May 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM

listens2glenn on May 7, 2013 at 6:05 PM

YouTube: What is Elizabeth Colbert Busch hiding?

Probably the best political ad ever.

tetriskid on May 7, 2013 at 6:05 PM

“Lizzie Borden. She hacked her parents to death. For. Ever!!”

Laughed till I cried. Thanks for that!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM

semi-O/T

El SOOPer!! ‏@SooperMexican
Wow! @TrueTheVote won court decision to audit @AllenWest recount!!!

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Love the whole “on the ballot twice” deal for whatsherface.

Banana republics are indignant at the comparison to what’s become of elections in the US.

Midas on May 7, 2013 at 7:09 PM

AZfederalist on May 7, 2013 at 6:47 PM

How do two open borders zealots like Juan Flake and Juan McAmnesty get elected in Arizona? The same state that passed SB-1070?

Is it something in the water? The high heat?

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:10 PM

While I almost always prefer the R candidate, I can’t support Sanford and fear that he will further embarrass the Republican brand. I think I’d rather see Busch embarrass the Democrats. Go Busch!

Daryl on May 7, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Dems commit rape, murder, leave women to die in cars, and sodomize little boys….comfortably re-elected.

Repub gets some consensual strange sex from an adult woman…”Throw the foker out! Let the Dems have the seat!”

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Is this the State that gave us Miss Lindsay Grahamnasty, McStains Slave?
Must be hard up for talent down there.

ConcealedKerry on May 7, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Also gave us Jim DeMint, so…maybe not all bad?

vegconservative on May 7, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Daryl on May 7, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Enjoy Amnesty and universal background checks then… But hey you could pat yourself on the back for standing on some bs morality ledge..congratulations…

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:13 PM

So where are all the socon, religright outcries against voting for Sanford?

davidk on May 7, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Since the Colbert woman is on the ballot for two different parties will they add up the two for her votes?

sandee on May 7, 2013 at 7:16 PM

All I care about, all I ever care about, is defeating/stopping and destroying Democrats.

Sanford, for all his faults, is a FAR better person than Elizabeth Busch.

Sanford doesn’t hate me or hate what I stand for; Busch does.

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Daryl on May 7, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Is Daryl’s lack of support for Sanford based on socn, religright reason’s?

And one anonymous internet poster does not a swell of righteous indignation make.

davidk on May 7, 2013 at 7:18 PM

So where are all the socon, religright outcries against voting for Sanford?

davidk on May 7, 2013 at 7:15 PM

We are electing a freaking congressman not a freaking pope.

Sanford, for all his faults, is a FAR better person than Elizabeth Busch.

Sanford doesn’t hate me or hate what I stand for; Busch does.

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Sanford doesn’t hate me or hate what I stand for; Busch does.

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Do you stand for respecting your martial vows? (Assuming you’re married)

alchemist19 on May 7, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Is Daryl’s lack of support for Sanford based on socn, religright reason’s?

davidk on May 7, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Or he could be a Moby…

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:19 PM

For those of you following along on the “official” unofficial returns site, Colbert Busch has two party lines she’s running under – the DemocRAT and the Working Families Parties.

Steve Eggleston on May 7, 2013 at 7:20 PM

OT, but are the hearings tmrw to be broadcast ?
CSPAN ??
Will need to set DVR .. first day all week I need to leave the house.
Arrrgh.

pambi on May 7, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Or he could be a Moby…

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:19 PM

True that.

davidk on May 7, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Do you stand for respecting your martial vows? (Assuming you’re married)

alchemist19 on May 7, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I am married and yes. BUT again… if you want to take some stand on some morality bs, be my guest. But when universal background checks pass in the congress by a couple votes, and Amnesty too, don’t come on this thread complaining about it.

We can all pat each other on the back for having morality and higher standards while we watch our nation and families circle the drain. You freaking choose.

Take the far left zealot and get a “morality badge”
Or vote Sanford and know he votes the right way.

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:22 PM

So where are all the socon, religright outcries against voting for Sanford?

davidk on May 7, 2013 at 7:15 PM

We are electing a freaking congressman not a freaking pope.

Sanford, for all his faults, is a FAR better person than Elizabeth Busch.

Sanford doesn’t hate me or hate what I stand for; Busch does.

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I agree. I just haven’t seen the groundswell of opposition to Sanford for this election that the strength of your comments seem to suggest.

davidk on May 7, 2013 at 7:23 PM

vegconservative on May 7, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Tim Scott, anyone?

annoyinglittletwerp on May 7, 2013 at 7:25 PM

A country that elects Pelosi, Boxer, Jackson-Lee, Grayson, Johnson, Schumer, Reid, Franken, et. al. repeatedly is already pretty much screwed.

Sanford may be a lying weasel, but he votes the right way and he’s OUR lying weasel.

In essence it’s the Appalachian Trail vs Had To Make Bail.

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Go Sanford.

gophergirl on May 7, 2013 at 7:27 PM

davidk on May 7, 2013 at 7:23 PM

There’s been a lot of snarky “let the Dem have the seat” comments here on Hot Gas the last few days, and I have started to lose my patience.

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:27 PM

OT, but are the hearings tmrw to be broadcast ?
CSPAN ??
Will need to set DVR .. first day all week I need to leave the house.
Arrrgh.

pambi on May 7, 2013 at 7:21 PM

On the Tres:

TOMORROW: House @GOPoversight #Benghazi hearing, Gregory Hicks to testify – LIVE at 11:30am ET on C-SPAN3

Steve Eggleston on May 7, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Steve Eggleston on May 7, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Thanks for that.

Working Families? Not the People’s Working Families? Huh.

Axe on May 7, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Politico has 0.6% reporting, and Sanford up 713-445 (with the Greener getting 8 votes so far). Nothing on SC’s website.

Steve Eggleston on May 7, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Woman on Columbia radio station said her sources told her that turnout was *HEAVY* in key GOP districts.

*fingers crossed*

SouthernGent on May 7, 2013 at 7:30 PM

SC1? A lose-lose situation if there ever was one.

Valkyriepundit on May 7, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Steve Eggleston on May 7, 2013 at 7:28 PM

As much as we may want justice for Benghazi and F&F. The bottom line is that no one outside of the conservative blogosphere gives a sheet, about it. That’s because the MSM has done everything in it’s power to obstruct, deflect and distract. But really the average voter is a freaking low info idiot

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Thanks for that.

Working Families? Not the People’s Working Families? Huh.

Axe on May 7, 2013 at 7:29 PM

“People’s” has the taint of not-quite-Communist-anymore Red China and Vietnam to the Committed (in more ways than one) Left.

Steve Eggleston on May 7, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Sanford (R) 61%
Colbert-Busch (D) 38%
0% reporting 2/317

Colleton, with one tiny precinct, in, 70-29 Sanford

I just looked Romney won Colleton 66%-32%-2% other

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Yeah, I know. Clinton’s walking away scot-free from perjury set the bar lower than a snake full of buckshot.

Steve Eggleston on May 7, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Steve Eggleston on May 7, 2013 at 7:28 PM

THANKS !

pambi on May 7, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Sanford (R) 52%
Colbert-Busch (D) 48%
0% reporting 3/317

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Erika sure is up in arms over Sanford’s indiscretion, but not nearly as interested in Sister Colbert’s past.

AmeriCuda on May 7, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Daryl on May 7, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Only a moron could think one could embarrass a Dim.

rik on May 7, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Colleton, with one tiny precinct, in, 70-29 Sanford

I just looked Romney won Colleton 66%-32%-2% other

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Where did you grab Colleton’s results? The state website is still reporting zeroes across the board.

Steve Eggleston on May 7, 2013 at 7:35 PM

If the guy were even the slightest bit RINO I would have stayed home.But this is a guy with impeccable conservative credentials running against a Pelosi clone.The damn GOP moderate elites expect me to vote for their RINO candidate and dumb abused conservatives are constantly telling us to vote conservative in the primary and Republican in the general but are on here attacking a solid conservative vote in the House.

redware on May 7, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Lou Dobbs just reported that there has been “an unexpectedly low turnout today”…for this race.

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Darryl is exactly right. The Republican majority in the House already can hold down the fort for conservatives until 2014. Let ECB have this one for now. We’ll win it back in 2014 with a less embarrassing candidate.

MinnesotaSlinger on May 7, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Steve Eggleston on May 7, 2013 at 7:35 PM

From CAC over at Ace’s

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:36 PM

From CAC over at Ace’s

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I should have known. CAC is DA MAN!

Steve Eggleston on May 7, 2013 at 7:37 PM

MinnesotaSlinger on May 7, 2013 at 7:36 PM

The “conservatives” in the House, lol. Good one! Enjoy your new Amnesty/universal background checks…

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Steve Eggleston on May 7, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Do not question good results

rik on May 7, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Take the far left zealot and get a “morality badge”
Or vote Sanford and know he votes the right way.

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:22 PM

If this happened you would have a point but it won’t so I’m not worried. If either passes then I’m willing to bet this one seat won’t be the deciding vote.

alchemist19 on May 7, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Its probably good for Sanford that there is not a libertarian running.

Creston on May 7, 2013 at 7:39 PM

MinnesotaSlinger on May 7, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I don’t think the GOP is lacking in the embarrassing column.

rik on May 7, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Do not question good results

rik on May 7, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I’m not – see above. I know CAC’s operation (hell, I was part of it for the Wisconsin recall), and he’s on top of it.

Steve Eggleston on May 7, 2013 at 7:41 PM

alchemist19 on May 7, 2013 at 7:38 PM

That’s because you are so freaking convinced that the GOP magically grew a spine over night? Did you get your optimism in the GOP from the same person that sold Jack his “magic beans”?

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:41 PM

At around 18:45 UTC OpenDNS resolvers saw a significant drop in traffic from Syria. On closer inspection it seems Syria has largely disappeared from the Internet.

davidk on May 7, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Sanford (R) 55%
Colbert-Busch (D) 44%
1% reporting 5/317

Berkeley County 4/44 in Sanford up 53-46 (Romney won Berkley County 57-41)

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Which way would the SC-1 candidates vote?

Internet Sales Tax Bill Stalling in House

davidk on May 7, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Charleston County is the key. If Sanford can win it (unlikely with the dopes in the city of Charleston and N. Charleston) it’s over. If he keeps it close…he’s won. If she racks up big margins there (mostly by black voters, no doubt) then…errrrr. Beaufort County is the real mystery here. I can’t imagine that county voting for her.

No way Colbert wins Colleton, Dorchester, or Berkeley counties.

SouthernGent on May 7, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:22 PM

She’s right. Why take the chance. Plus I think Sanford Could eventually get rid Grahamcracker. Don’t laugh. He’s actually a gfted pol.

rik on May 7, 2013 at 7:44 PM

No way Colbert wins Colleton, Dorchester, or Berkeley counties.

SouthernGent on May 7, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Romney won Charleston by 7. Why can’t Sanford?

Raquel Pinkbullet on May 7, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Its probably good for Sanford that there is not a libertarian running.

Creston on May 7, 2013 at 7:39 PM

It wouldn’t surprise me that the SC Libertarian Party wanted it that way…

JohnGalt23 on May 7, 2013 at 7:45 PM