Christie: I had lap-band surgery to shed weight

posted at 8:41 am on May 7, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

After years of criticism over his weight, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie decided over the winter to take action.  After consulting with Jets head coach Rex Ryan on his successful weight-loss surgery, Christie underwent lap-band surgery in February, he told the New York Post in an exclusive:

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie secretly underwent lap-band stomach surgery to aggressively slim down for the sake of his wife and kids, he revealed to The Post last night.

The Garden State governor agreed to the operation at the urging of family and friends after turning 50 last September.

He told The Post he was thinking of his four kids and how it was time to start improving his health when he decided to have the procedure.

“I’ve struggled with this issue for 20 years,” he said. “For me, this is about turning 50 and looking at my children and wanting to be there for them.”

Good for the Governor for thinking of his family — but is that all he considered?  After all, Christie has generated plenty of interest as a potential presidential candidate, although his recent gun-control push has tempered that considerably of late.  Christie says that was the furthest thing from his mind:

He also insisted that, contrary to what observers may say, the effort to slim down was not motivated by thoughts of a presidential bid.

“It’s so much more important than that,” he said.

Well, it is, but it’s also a little coincidental in terms of the timing.  Christie will run for re-election this year in what is expected to be a historic landslide victory, which means he will be free to consider a run by early 2014.  That gives him plenty of time to re-position himself for the Republican primary fight, and his weight should be off by the time he would have to seriously campaign in early-to-mid-2015.  If he does have aspirations for higher office, he probably wouldn’t have time to lose that kind of weight in two years through non-surgical methods, and there’s little doubt his weight would have been an issue.

Matt Lauer and Nancy Snyderman explain the surgery and the prognosis for the formerly self-proclaimed healthiest fat guy around:

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

for me, I have to sacrifice eating whatever I want whenever I want (a admittedly big sacrifice as I love food), but I have a semi-sixpack which is worth it for me

nonpartisan on May 7, 2013 at 10:00 AM

The wrinkles on your forehead aren’t what a six pack is. Didn’t they teach you that at Harvard Law?

NotCoach on May 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Thank you..At least you get it. You must love a woman or have daughters.. :)

melle1228 on May 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Unmarried and childless. Never been married, actually. I’m just not a dumbass. I pay attention.

gryphon202 on May 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Unless for some reason he wanted to conceal the fact that he was losing weight in the first place, there stands a pretty good chance that his lap band surgery was a failure (which is a distinct possibility).

gryphon202 on May 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Supposedly he’s lost 30 pounds. But as the story continues, I’m getting annoyed. Why announce it at all? Why is the media treating the announcement as if he is a gay NBA second stringer? It takes courage to admit you’ve got a large rubber band limiting your caloric intake (I know that is a simplification of a lap-band)?

I don’t care about Christie’s intestines than I do about Jason Collins sexual orientation or what stupid self-absorbed thing Lindsey Lohan is up to this time. There are way too many serious stories to have the time sucked up with an outpatient procedure performed almost two months ago.

Happy Nomad on May 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM

lol sorry but you should be grateful for your assets

and if people admire them, you should feel good about yourself…its the beauty of nature at work that we men are hardwired to admire nice boobies

don’t fight it, accept it

nonpartisan on May 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I have now, but at 10- you don’t want to stand out. Capice?

melle1228 on May 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM

two words: Todd Palin. MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOW!

GhoulAid on May 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM

To channel my inner Lorien: I’d hit that. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on May 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM

yes Im a guy. How is that question dumb? I thought most girls would love to have a c-cup.
nonpartisan on May 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Good lord! And you say you’re not 16??? You’re certainly not a man, only a Boy would make such a comment.

BeachBum on May 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM

lol sorry but you should be grateful for your assets

don’t fight it, accept it

nonpartisan on May 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM

seriously, you must be a lonely human being. who could love you? SERIOUSLY!

GhoulAid on May 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM

NotCoach on May 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM

notcoach, you seem to have some weird obsession with my having attended harvard law. thats not an inferiority complex I spot right?

nonpartisan on May 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM

melle1228 on May 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I shop for my brassieres in the band-aid section. If it wasn’t for my hips and long hair-I’d look like a mutant guy. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on May 7, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Robert Downey Jr. and Dennis Miller are hawt! Conservative/libertarian men are always sexier.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 7, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I agree, but the older I get; the more personality matters to me.

melle1228 on May 7, 2013 at 10:35 AM

don’t fight it, accept it

nonpartisan on May 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I have now, but at 10- you don’t want to stand out. Capice?

melle1228 on May 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM

You’re barking up the wrong tree with nonpartisan, Melle. Clearly he has no sense of shame given the way he parades his dumbassery and douchebaggery.

gryphon202 on May 7, 2013 at 10:35 AM

melle1228 on May 7, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Absolutely. If a guy’s mind isn’t sexy-nothing else matters. Mr. Twerp has a very sexy mind.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM

two words: Todd Palin. MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOW!

GhoulAid on May 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM

To channel my inner Lorien: I’d hit that. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on May 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM

He he.. I am a straight girl, but if I was going gay; Sarah would be on my bucket list as well.

melle1228 on May 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I don’t find Brad Pitt good looking- especially when he is “dirty” looking.” He became even more ugly to me when he cheated on his then wife Jennifer Anniston.

melle1228 on May 7, 2013 at 10:27 AM

As a male, Brad Pitt became an idiot when he cheated on his then-wife Jennifer Anniston. [Since they are both flaming libs, I'll set politics aside for now]

AZfederalist on May 7, 2013 at 10:37 AM

nonpartisan on May 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Oh yes, I always feel inferior to mendacious blowhards. Did you receive your diploma written in dry-erase marker, or did you splurge for the permanent marker?

NotCoach on May 7, 2013 at 10:38 AM

This has been a fun thread.

Bishop on May 7, 2013 at 10:41 AM

melle1228 on May 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Spawn teases me about my ‘meow’ stuff. I told him that I’m married-not dead. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on May 7, 2013 at 10:42 AM

NP has proven his superficiality over and over, but the C-cup @ 10yo, really takes the high-calorie cake !!
Holy smokes !
Yoo hoo, rogerb !

pambi on May 7, 2013 at 10:42 AM

nonpartisan on May 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I think others keep bringing it up, not because they feel inferior, but because with each post, you make that statement harder to believe.

How about telling us about some of your favorite Boston haunts? Days you spent admiring the beauty of the Charles? The name of the bridge over the Charles separating Harvard and M.I.T. and why it’s named that, and a little bit about it’s history?

Chris of Rights on May 7, 2013 at 10:44 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on May 7, 2013 at 10:42 AM

LOL- After being married so many years, you have to be able to look from time to time. I laugh at my husband, because he tries to be covert, but I know his type too well- so I know when he is sneaking a look. :)

melle1228 on May 7, 2013 at 10:46 AM

So much unnecessary snark on this thread!

Gastric surgery is neither a short-cut nor a sure thing, and there have been complications reported from all types of surgery. My husband’s cousin died from complications of gastric bypass surgery. He was only 42 and had three kids.

As for the rapid weight loss, I had a colleague several years ago who had the surgery and within three weeks he was almost unrecognizable. He also could not eat anything larger than a small carton of yougurt at one time. It’s a huge lifestyle change in terms of what you are able to eat, and how often you eat, so it isn’t like a “fix it and forget it” shortcut for fat people.

Christie had tried conventional dieting and lost some weight before, but put it all back on and then some. He is actually quite a bit heavier than he was when he was elected in 2009. His job is stressful and stress definitely affects metabolism and wright gain, especially in men. He also has a chaotic schedule where exercise and disciplined eating are not always possible.

I imagine all those pictures of him looking like a whale next to Obama didn’t make him feel too good either.

rockmom on May 7, 2013 at 10:46 AM

dont know what decade you’re from, but today, its considered hawt for a women to have a booty

nonpartisan on May 7, 2013 at 10:02 AM

what if you have a big booty, and a man face???

GhoulAid on May 7, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Here ya go non-parmesan, the woman of your dreams: Mrs. Nonpartisan

slickwillie2001 on May 7, 2013 at 10:47 AM

It would appear that both dieting and Chris Christie are controversial.

Who knew?

trigon on May 7, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Do you guys think the folks threatening to stay home are kidding? Or are we headed for 2012 redux? Do you really honestly believe that Republican voters are going to fall in line just because you want them to?

gryphon202 on May 7, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I’m not sure how agreeing with the idea that it’s a little early to be threatening such a thing means all that, but whatever.

changer1701 on May 7, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Here ya go non-parmesan, the woman of your dreams: Mrs. Nonpartisan

slickwillie2001 on May 7, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Oh deary, I cannot unsee that. I think she is at least a C cup though.. :)

melle1228 on May 7, 2013 at 10:51 AM

He’ll always be a fat piece of RINO crap in my eyes. You can’t fix inside ugly.

Levinite on May 7, 2013 at 10:51 AM

You can’t fix inside ugly.

Levinite on May 7, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Michelle Obama knows this all too well.

GhoulAid on May 7, 2013 at 10:54 AM

So diet and excersize weren’t possible?

libfreeordie on May 7, 2013 at 9:26 AM

you are a college professor?

Barred on May 7, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Christie’s position on gun control should be irrelevant to us if we think the GOP can hold onto either the House or Senate for the years of a Christie presidency. I believe that the anti-GOP sentiment would not reach George W levels and gun control would go nowhere. It is a reason to consider Christie. I prefer Cruz, but I fear he could provoke a backlash.

thuja on May 7, 2013 at 11:00 AM

rockmom on May 7, 2013 at 10:46 AM

+1 Rockmom.

A few friends of mine went through the GP procedures, both during the earlier years when it wasn’t as common as it is now…

2 were successful in keeping off the weight (to this day), 2 regained the weight back within 2 years, 2 died a year to 18 months afterwards.

The surgery is not foolproof, it definitely is a lifestyle change…from what you cant eat, the list of what is left is awfully small.

It is NOT a casual diet/exercise alternative; it should be done after months of consults both for your physical AND mental health.

IMHO, even though Cristie looks to be a prime candidate for it; I’d STILL tell him not to do it unless there was NO other option.

But, politics aside, I wish him luck….I just hope he isn’t doing it for political aspiration….skinny or not, I wouldn’t campaign for him in 2016, sorry to say.

Stick to State Level politics, Governor, that’s your niche there.

BlaxPac on May 7, 2013 at 11:04 AM

hmm, never heard of it, is there a clinical name for this condition. it doesn’t seem like it should be classified as a eating disorder to me

nonpartisan on May 7, 2013 at 10:21 AM

It’s still called anorexia, from Mayo:

Some people with anorexia lose weight mainly through severely restricting the amount of food they eat. They may also try to lose weight by exercising excessively.

Girls I knew in college, also had the over-exercising version. I’m tall. I played sports and modeled in high school. There was a time I ate 600 calories a day and ran and exercised two or three hours straight every day. It’s a strange compulsion. My mom knocked me out of it by showing me pictures and telling me I looked like an Auschwitz survivor.

Needless to say, my metabolism was totally screwed up. Later in life, after having children, I gained weight rapidly by overeating, but not huge amounts of food. With the birth of my granddaughter (motivation), Weight Watchers (reasonable portions) and exercise (weight training and walking) I am back to turning heads in my 50′s. That was something I was never comfortable with (people staring at me – I would be a terrible celebrity) but I have learned there is nothing I can do about it. I want to be healthy.

I though about lap band but the side effects didn’t seem worth it to me. I’m glad I did it the old fashioned way, but kudos to Christie for doing “something”.

Fallon on May 7, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I keep thinking about the story I read of hard-charging Jack Welch hounding one of his executives about his weight until he had surgery, who then had lots of health problems afterward. Maybe procedures are better now than they were some years ago, I don’t know. But while I sympathize with those who have worked hard at keeping weight off and can’t, surgery seems a questionable option.

bobs1196 on May 7, 2013 at 11:13 AM

davidk on May 7, 2013 at 10:41 AM

The Future of America is here…

workingclass artist on May 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I’m 120. My husband is 260. He’s maybe 2 inches taller than I am. Maybe.
Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it. LoL
*My husband isn’t a RINO. RINO makes everyone that wears it look ugly.
annoyinglittletwerp on May 7, 2013 at 9:34 AM

One of you is profoundly unhealthy. Jesus….

libfreeordie on May 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I almost feel sorry for Christie having this surgery. My mother had this surgery about 12 years ago. She has had nothing but health problems ever since. Her digestive system is a mess and she is on more drugs to help her eat and process food than I can count. Plus, after about 5 years she put all the weight back on. So now she has the digestive problems and the weight. She has often said that she would never do it again. I hope Christie has better results than my mom had.

KickandSwimMom on May 7, 2013 at 11:23 AM

nonpartisan on May 7, 2013 at 10:00 AM

That diet apparently doesn’t affect your stupidity.
Your still bursting at the seams with ignorance, hack.

AllahsNippleHair on May 7, 2013 at 11:28 AM

One of you is profoundly unhealthy. Jesus….

libfreeordie on May 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Speaking of unhealthy, have you found yourself a good rape counselor yet?

Remember, it’s not your fault.

slickwillie2001 on May 7, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I’m 120. My husband is 260. He’s maybe 2 inches taller than I am. Maybe.
Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it. LoL
*My husband isn’t a RINO. RINO makes everyone that wears it look ugly.
annoyinglittletwerp on May 7, 2013 at 9:34 AM

One of you is profoundly unhealthy. Jesus….

libfreeordie on May 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Look at that tolerance. You’re profoundly ignorant, at least ALT’s husband can lose weight. Sorry for you, libnonuts, stupid is forever.

AllahsNippleHair on May 7, 2013 at 11:55 AM

In that screen cap, Christie looks like he’s belting out the money note.

CurtZHP on May 7, 2013 at 12:24 PM

don’t fight it, accept it

nonpartisan on May 7, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Oh yes, having grown men make sexual advances when you are 11 because your breasts are just so perky is totally awesome. Then having all the girls in junior high decide that you stuff your bra, and tease you so mercilessly the only way to get them to stop was to flash them in the locker room? Yeah, that was a fun day too. Then there is the fact that many many men make the mistake that a big breasted girl is easy/kinky/or that no must mean yes-come on there my breasts are, poking everybody in the eye! I deserve it, right? In fact, I want it, all the time. Nonpartisan, you sir, are a douchebag. For this religious, shy, bookworm girl being a c cup by the age of 11 was a nightmare. Now that I’m all grown up, I have no problem raising one eyebrow at the men who can’t stop staring, but back then? Yeah it was all fun and games.

Kristamatic on May 7, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Kristamatic on May 7, 2013 at 12:57 PM

oohh, bookworm with nice rack, that’s a winning combo :)

nonpartisan on May 7, 2013 at 1:11 PM

nonpartisan on May 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Nah, it’s just a waste of funds, no matter the source. Also, a shame on Harvard. YOU and Obama are not something Harvard should ever mention.

Schadenfreude on May 7, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Good for him, I can only hope it will improve his health during his long retirement years.

DDay on May 7, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Please NO!

kirkill on May 7, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Kristamatic on May 7, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I feel ya sister.. I always was taken for a lot older because of my body type as well. I had very young parents( they were 15 and 16 when they had me). I remember going out with my dad and people would mistake me at 13 and 14 for his girlfriend or wife. I hated it.

You learn real quick to use the phrase “hey my eyes are up here.” My husband has nicely explained to me a number of times that men can’t seem to help themselves but still.. :)

melle1228 on May 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Kristamatic on May 7, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I have a photo of my late mother’s 8th grade class. She looked like a student teacher. She was 13.

annoyinglittletwerp on May 7, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I never thought of him as fat. He’s just a big-boned guy. Gigantic bones.

Catahoula on May 7, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Sure looks like he wasted the money.Now he needs to have a band put around his RINO mouth.Might lose some weight and we wouldn’t have to listen to his liberal crap.

redware on May 7, 2013 at 2:20 PM

You learn real quick to use the phrase “hey my eyes are up here.”

melle1228 on May 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM

that’s rude!

nonpartisan on May 7, 2013 at 2:27 PM

that’s rude!

nonpartisan on May 7, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Pot meet Kettle.

BeachBum on May 7, 2013 at 2:40 PM

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie

secretly

Not much of a secret if he told the New York Post.

His wife will surely be thrilled, especially if they want more kids.

Steve Z on May 7, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I wish the guy well with his weight problem.

But New Jersey is pretty much where he needs to be.

No one from the South is going to vote for someone who is as anti-Second Amendment as Christie.

molonlabe28 on May 7, 2013 at 4:21 PM

why not

gerrym51 on May 7, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Please GOD – let the GOP Ayatollahs nominate liberal Chris Christie.

I want to see the conservatives once again swallow it … hook line and sinker that if they don’t vote for Christie the nation will collapse!

LMFAO

HondaV65 on May 7, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Just when I got a satchel full of new fat jokes, too.

*Le sigh*

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on May 7, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Please GOD – let the GOP Ayatollahs nominate liberal Chris Christie.

LMFAO

HondaV65 on May 7, 2013 at 5:27 PM

What do you care, you’re a reliable dem vote no matter who’s on the ticket.

slickwillie2001 on May 7, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Please GOD – let the GOP Ayatollahs nominate liberal Chris Christie.

LMFAO

HondaV65 on May 7, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Too bad tey don’t have a head band for stupid.

RovesChins on May 7, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Yuck and gross, Govenor CC!

Shoulda least had brain surgery while you were contributing to the Fight Club source of income thing.

Sherman1864 on May 8, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I think Christie should be commend for –

wait for it –

his commitment to reducing waist in government!

thankyouverymuch.