Video: Mattera and Redford go Sundancing over The Company You Keep

posted at 12:01 pm on May 6, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

You have to feel a little sorry for Robert Redford, don’t you?  He just released a feature film asking audiences to reconsider their harsh feelings about the Weather Underground, which set off bombs, killed police officers, and robbed banks for more than a decade of domestic terrorism, but who were just misunderstood people acting on their deeply-held beliefs about justice. Unfortunately for Redford, a couple of misunderstood kids did the same thing at the Boston Marathon ten days after the film opened.  So far, Redford’s paean to leftist terrorists and murders has grossed only $3.5 million since its limited April 5th opening, and in the last two weeks, its wide distribution has only made  $1.9 million:

• Week 4, 807 screens: $1429 per screen (drop of 69.8%)
  • Week 5, 541 screens: $1436 per screen

Sadly, it looks like Redford’s terrorista chic came out at the worst possible time, as noted by the loss of 266 screens from the first week of wide release to the second.  People were reminded that bombers and terrorists aren’t heroes, anti-heroes, or at all sympathetic — except in Redford’s circles.

Speaking of sympathy, though, it’s difficult not to feel a little sympathy … especially when Talk Radio Network’s Jason Mattera wants to have a chat with him.  Rather than defend the indefensible, the Sundance Kid dances out the door, leaving Jason in the hands of the entourage:

Hey, didn’t Redford make The Company You Keep to start a “conversation”? Looks like Redford isn’t interested in conversing these days.

Update: Ace notes that Jason asked Redford if any of the film’s proceeds would go to the Weather Underground’s victims.  With that kind of BO at the box office, there aren’t going to be any proceeds.

Comments

I saw Robert Redford the other night on a Route 66 episode from 1961. Pinnacle of his career as far I’m concerned.

DanMan on May 6, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I am so sick of the anti-hero.

Cindy Munford on May 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM

So far, Redford’s paean to leftist terrorists and murders has grossed only $3.5 million since its limited April 5th opening, and in the last two weeks, its wide distribution has only made $1.9 million

I’m frankly amazed it’s made that much. I clicked on the Box Office Mojo link and was disappointed to see that Lem Dobbs wrote the screenplay. I can’t believe the dude who scripted Dark City and The Limey wrote this dreck.

Doughboy on May 6, 2013 at 12:07 PM

No sympathy for Redford. What a douche.

Free Indeed on May 6, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Dear Mr. Redford.

Drop dead.

And I mean that with the greatest of sincerity.

Shy Guy on May 6, 2013 at 12:11 PM

No sympathy for Redford. What a douche.

Free Indeed on May 6, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Exactly. Well put, sir.

Agent of the Cross on May 6, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Think of this as a tax write off. His feelings at your expense. I bet it isn’t the first time either.

Cindy Munford on May 6, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Yeah, people don’t like terrorists, Redford. They don’t even want to bury them on our soil.
That goes for dirty, nasty, maggot infested hippie types that have tenure at liberal U.
May the rest of your career be cursed, Redford, you douche rag.

AllahsNippleHair on May 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Profiles in courage. Small man surrounded by an entourage. Says and does inflammatory things and yet too chickenshit to have a give and take in a forum. Same as bust my chakra Al Gore.

arnold ziffel on May 6, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Hey, Bob, a rich 1%’er like you is exactly who the WU was interested in eradicating from the land.

Limo libs are funny: They grab all the gold they can from the system and then pontificate on just what a nasty system it is.

Bishop on May 6, 2013 at 12:15 PM

No sympathy for Redford. What a douche.

Free Indeed on May 6, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Exactly. Well put, sir.

Agent of the Cross on May 6, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Thirded. Not difficult at all.

Fenris on May 6, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I must admit, I’m surprised that Redford (a hardcore Hollywood leftie) supports a terrorist group comprising of white people who owned guns.

Kingfisher on May 6, 2013 at 12:18 PM

This movie is already streaming online. I didn’t realize it was a new release. Oops.

Plot wise, it is pretty laughable.

Robert Redford is very obvious in his acting and directing style. SL plays the exact same role he plays in every movie — young impressionable upstart in the dark destined to save the world.

Capitalist Hog on May 6, 2013 at 12:18 PM

That’s go to, umm, Sting?

trubble on May 6, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Nice group of trained apes Mr. Redford’s got right there, eh? Who needs a gun when you have that kind of paid muscle, er entourage to keep the public away. Although, I’m more than willing to bet that at least one of the gorillas is carrying something.

parke on May 6, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I look forward to Redford’s next movie, “Prairie Fire”.

It’s the story of a young band of plucky freedom fighters who unburden the land from white, conservative oppression by conducting a campaign of genocide against them resulting in the deaths of 25 million.

Bishop on May 6, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I am so bummed that Redford is gonna be in the next Captain America movie. I mean, seriously??!?? Of all the possible actors out there, Marvel went with him?

Jack_Burton on May 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Redford has been glorifying evil for his whole career.

His characters in The Sting and in Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid were criminals who were made to look like heroes.

itsnotaboutme on May 6, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I look forward to Redford’s next movie, “Prairie Fire”.

Bishop on May 6, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Are they going to kill us with their wit? Lol

AllahsNippleHair on May 6, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I’m thinking that Bob and Jane need to reunite in somewhere like the old North Viet Nam. But since Hanoi ain’t like it use to be, I’d suggest one of those nice little working/B&B sites in North Korea. I hear it’s the Bomb!

parke on May 6, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Bishop, I think I’ve seen that flick. Isn’t it called Zimbabwe?

parke on May 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Keep asking the challenging questions Mr. Mattera!

workingclass artist on May 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Hey, didn’t Redford make The Company You Keep to start a “conversation”?

Heh heh heh. Leftists always want to “start a conversation.” That means they get to talk and you get to shut up and listen. Problem with that? Shut up, you racist homophobe.

inviolet on May 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM

BTW, I posted the above comment on this YouTube vid to show support for my man Jason. Libs tend to dominate YouTube comment sections.

itsnotaboutme on May 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM

A conversation? They cannot defend their side. Better to just say, shut up and call us racists.

AllahsNippleHair on May 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Redford’s movie headed to the DVD discount ashbin of history…

workingclass artist on May 6, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I had read a piece about his new wave young artistic wife who unnamed Hollywood execs reportedly said during a dinner was embarrassingly over the top anti-Semitic and Redford sat silent like a drooling old man. The execs weren’t pleased and were too happy to share with the press. Doubtful the missus would ever have Streisand to dinner.

Marcus on May 6, 2013 at 12:34 PM

You have to feel a little sorry for Robert Redford, don’t you?

No. Can’t even squeeze out a fart for him.

AllahsNippleHair on May 6, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Redford is also planning a movie about Pol Pot called “Visionary Farmer: How A Single Brave Man Fertilized Cambodia”.

Bishop on May 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM

You have to feel a little sorry for Robert Redford, don’t you?

Nope.

Myron Falwell on May 6, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Bishop on May 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM

TWO THUMBS OFF!

Shy Guy on May 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Whenever liberals say they want a “conversation,” what they mean is they talk and you listen.

And you don’t question what they say.

CurtZHP on May 6, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Silly confused man. No wait, dangerous, idiotic man child.

2Tru2Tru on May 6, 2013 at 12:45 PM

You are known by the company you keep…

and the movies you make.

Hey, Bob, you are The Man. Get it? You’re being played, dude.

Why not make a movie about the Weather Underground that contains the truth about them? Why not pull Bill Ayers and Bernadette out of the new-cool-lib closet? That might actually be doing a service to someone other than yourself and your ego.

This is me, not holding my breath.

IndieDogg on May 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Route 66” is still playing somewhere? Who knew?

oldleprechaun on May 6, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Bishop on May 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I heard he already has one in the can about two wild and crazy muslim guys in Boston who are framed for bombings at the Boston Marathon by a group of ordinary Tea Partiers just doing what Tea Partiers do. The working title: “Boston Baked”, but “Finish Line” is running a close second.

TXUS on May 6, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Anyone else get Redford’s Sundance catalog? Lots of pretty pricey things in it. I always look at the prices and laugh. It costs a lot of money to look Western-worn chic and rough-hewn homey.

I liked The Sting and The Great Gatsby (I was something like 17 years old when it came out.) That’ll be enough money from me, Mr. Redford. (I never did like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid that much. That weird bicycle riding scene with Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head playing in the background… Reh? Too much of a screeching halt.)

Fallon on May 6, 2013 at 12:58 PM

SMACK! Good one.

Redford is not ashamed of his behavior at all at anytime that I have ever seen.
Far as I have heard, he ruined Sun Valley ID area for the people who had lived there & made a living on the land there by moving in & bringing the tourist trade making it impossible for normal people to be there.
Kinda like what has happened in many parts of CO & W. WY & W. MT.
D-bags, all of these kinds of people.

Badger40 on May 6, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Meanwhile in wacademia, Kent State hosted Bill Ayers this weekend;

Ayers’s speech focused on the importance of remembering history and using imagination for social justice. He talked about losing his own friends during that period.

Just as grief was about to overwhelm me, I had a revelation,” Ayers said. “Action is the antidote to hopelessness, not optimism, which pretends to predict a rosy future, and not its depressing twin pessimism, which shares a deterministic world view and an orthodox turn of mind. Our fight is for social justice and action is necessary if we are to achieve it.

He’s talking about “his own friends” who self-detonated while conspiring to commit mass murder at a Fort Dix dance.

Keep in mind, his phrase “action is necessary” is Ayers’ euphemacism for “setting bombs;

I don’t regret setting bombs,” said Ayers in 2001, “I feel we didn’t do enough.” Contemplating whether or not he might again use bombs against the U.S. sometime in the future, he wrote: “I can’t imagine entirely dismissing the possibility.”

/monstrous

Terp Mole on May 6, 2013 at 1:02 PM

It costs a lot of money to look Western-worn chic and rough-hewn homey.

Fallon on May 6, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Only for stupid people. I dress like that cuz it’s all I got.
BTW, Curt Pate, a respected western horseman, when asked what he thought of Redford (bcs he worked on the Horse Whisperer set) was tight lipped & only said. “He’s got a lot of money.”

Badger40 on May 6, 2013 at 1:03 PM

DanMan on May 6, 2013 at 12:04 PM

That’s a great episode. Are you catching them on Retro TV, or MeTV?

His last film (Lions For Lambs, the anti-Iraq War movie) was a flop, too. You’d think he’d learn that ticket buyers aren’t interested in being bludgeoned with that crap.

Ward Cleaver on May 6, 2013 at 1:05 PM

More on Bill Ayers speech at Kent State telling students there is no relationship between the Weather Underground bombings and the Boston Marathon bombings.

There is no relationship at all between what Weather Underground members did and the bombings that two brothers allegedly committed on April 15 in Massachusetts, Ayers said in response to a reporter’s question. No one died in the Weather Underground bombings.

“How different is the shooting in Connecticut from shooting at a hunting range?” Ayers said. “Just because they use the same thing, there’s no relationship at all.”

Get what he said there?

Murdering police officers is just target practice?

/monstrous

Terp Mole on May 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM

TXUS on May 6, 2013 at 12:56 PM

What? No. According to IMDB the title will be, “Three Days of the Pressure Cooker”.

Bishop on May 6, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Meanwhile in wacademia, Kent State hosted Bill Ayers this weekend;

Terp Mole on May 6, 2013 at 1:02 PM

It’s KENT STATE. It would have been surpising had he NOT been invited.

Myron Falwell on May 6, 2013 at 1:11 PM

TXUS on May 6, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Bishop on May 6, 2013 at 1:10 PM

A prequel: All the Camel’s men….three days in the desert.

AllahsNippleHair on May 6, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I will not watch this film.

No doubt, Redford’s film offers gross lies of omission such as Ayers’ vicious date rape of Donna Ron.

At first I thought Ayers was joking. I got up; and went to the door. He moved quickly to block me at the doorway. He locked the door and put the chain on it. I went to the couch and sat down and told him that I had no intention of having sex with his roommate and his brother or him. He said that I had no choice but to do as he said if I wanted to get out of there. He claimed that I wouldn’t sleep with his married roommate because he was black — that I was a bigot. I had gone to school with black kids and had them as friends all my life. I couldn’t believe he was saying that to me.

I felt trapped. I had to get out of the situation I was in and because he was so effective a guilt-tripper, I also felt I had to prove to him that I wasn’t a bigot. I got up from the couch and walked over to the black roommate’s bed and put myself on it and he fucked me. I went totally out of my body. I floated beside myself on the outside and above the bed looking at this black stranger fuck me angrily while I hated myself.

After that I had to go lie down on Bill Ayer’s bed for his brother to screw me. Rick Ayers was a decent person, unlike his brother, and couldn’t go through with it He started and stopped and let me go. I also thought I had to let Bill screw me but at that point he unbolted the door and I left.

Terp Mole on May 6, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Why anyone gives a crap about Hollywood and the majority of the people who work there is beyond me… they certainly don’t give a crap about you or the America you love.

beatcanvas on May 6, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Redford would be happier if ALL of had been killed by Bill Ayers. Because he was so morally superior to the rest of us.

thgrant on May 6, 2013 at 2:01 PM

a Twilight Zone, and a few episodes of Hitchcock…

equanimous on May 6, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Jason has a good friend in Ed.
This is so badly done…he could barely make anything of it at all.
And it’s too bad – because I think the general gist of Mattera’s question here is a fair one. And I would have liked to hear how Redford might have responded.
But why would anyone respond to that sort of idiotic haranguing.
Why wouldn’t Redford’s guys move to step btwn their client and someone who seems as off balance as Jason does here?
He’s wasting his and everyone’s time with this approach.

verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM

And Redford to the LONG list of Lefty bigots.

RobertMN on May 6, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I smell a full length feature on the bravery of Brett Kimberlin in his future.

What a tool.

Sponge on May 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM

That’s a great episode. Are you catching them on Retro TV, or MeTV?

Every night on RetroTV OTA. And the Beverly Hillbillies on Saturday too! Since I quite satellite Retro was a good find.

DanMan on May 6, 2013 at 2:56 PM

A fun exercise for Mr. Mattera would be to take on the conscious and patriotism of members of his target’s body guards troupe. After they push Mattera aside, ask them about how they feel about the morality of the man they are protecting. See if you can get a few to quit on the spot.

kurtzz3 on May 6, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Redford – still trying to regain the glory days.

GarandFan on May 6, 2013 at 3:28 PM

You have to feel a little sorry for Robert Redford, don’t you?

No. I will never feel sorry for these clowns and am somewhat enjoying the schadenfreude (hi!). It isn’t nearly enough, though, but this will do for now.

kim roy on May 6, 2013 at 3:37 PM

He’s wasting his and everyone’s time with this approach.

verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Dunno about that. Probably more people will see the video and/or read this write up than the movie.

kim roy on May 6, 2013 at 3:51 PM

As the French say, Qu’el un dick.

justltl on May 6, 2013 at 5:11 PM

“Kill all the rich (insert ethnic, racial, religious affiliation, sexual orientation) people. Break up their cars and their apartments. Bring the revolution home, kill your parents”

~Bill Ayers

Fine line between being celebrated leftist hipster and right wing extremist hater

R Square on May 6, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Jason’s videos are awesome. I need to start doing stuff like this. More please!

WhatSlushfund on May 6, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Come on, Ed. Jason’s a good guy. It’s just his New York upbringing that makes him seem a bit “pushy”. :-)

Steve Eggleston on May 6, 2013 at 6:34 PM