Senate Republican obstructs Obama’s ability to win stuff with hole-in-one during golf outing

posted at 10:01 pm on May 6, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

Those Senate Republicans, up to their old tricks again. Like that obnoxious and hyper-partisan rim on the White House basketball court, Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-GA) dealt another unfair blow to the president’s quest to win athletic events in public when he and partner Sen. Bob Corker (R-TN) bested Obama, who is well-known for his golfing habit, but not for his skill.

This afternoon, the President, who has the highest handicap of the foursome, paired with up Senator Udall, who has the lowest. Senators Chambliss and Corker, aided by Chambliss’s hole-in-one on the 11th, won the match.

The President enjoyed the chance to spend some time on the golf course with the Senators. Most of the talk centered on the round of golf and not the latest round of legislative negotiations in Congress. The President was pleased that the rain held off, despite the damp forecast.

Question: If the only witnesses to one’s hole-in-one are the president and a handful of senators, do we consider that more or less reliable than the average golfer’s Saturday drinking buddies? At any rate, congrats to Chambliss. Not a bad occasion to hit a humdinger like that. I hope he brushed his shoulders off. If I know anything about the president’s charm offensives, this will be the greatest accomplishment to come of it.

Time offers a run-down of the things Obama didn’t accomplish today, aside from winning:

Now the President is searching for allies amongst his old colleagues to help move an immigration reform bill, a grand bargain budget deal, and maybe even revisit the gun control package later this year. Without GOP support, he will be the “lame duck” political commentators have started naming him after only 126 days into his second term.

He has his work cut out for him. Besides the gun control debate, Corker, a member of the Senate Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee, said that Obama’s new appointment to lead the Federal Housing Finance Agency, Rep. Mel Watt (D-N.C.), “Gives new meaning to the adage that the fox is guarding the hen house.” Corker has also recently hit the President on the alleged massive cash payments to Afghan President Hamid Karzai, and has asked the President to consult Congress before extending U.S. involvement in Syria.

Chambliss, who is retiring in 2014, urged the President to deem Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the Boston Marathon bomber, an “enemy combatant,” which the White House declined to do, and voted against Obama’s nominee for CIA director John Brennan. Chambliss, the vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, also has questioned the President on Syria.

Obama’s effort isn’t hopeless, though. Corker has said that he is “optimistic” about the possibility of passing meaningful comprehensive immigration reform. Chambliss, who was booed in Georgia following his initial support of the 2007 immigration reform bill, now believes that his constituents have changed their minds. “If we’re going to get the Hispanic vote we can’t be anti-Hispanics,” he told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution back in February. Mark Udall is a critical supporter of immigration reform from a purple state.

Comments

What a picture.

KCB on May 6, 2013 at 10:03 PM

If we are going to get the Hispanic vote, we’re going to have to become Democrats.

Curtiss on May 6, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Varmit !!!!!

FlaMurph on May 6, 2013 at 10:05 PM

KCB on May 6, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Dirt bag golfing, meh, rather he do that than further ruin this country…

Evenin’ Ken :-)

Scrumpy on May 6, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Four dead..
Arrive in the US in coffins..
And Our fearless leader is trying to win another Nobel Prize..]
Or something..

Is this country Safe?

Electrongod on May 6, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Electrongod on May 6, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Nope

Scrumpy on May 6, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Evenin’ EG!! :-)

Scrumpy on May 6, 2013 at 10:07 PM

(drums fingers, lights one up, waitin’ on QOTD)

Scrumpy on May 6, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Evenin’ EG!! :-)

Scrumpy on May 6, 2013 at 10:07 PM

*clink*

Electrongod on May 6, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Hi Chrissy!

KCB on May 6, 2013 at 10:11 PM

*clinks* :-D

Scrumpy on May 6, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Hey where is all this smoke coming from?

*concerned Fire Marshall shouts from balloon*

SparkPlug on May 6, 2013 at 10:14 PM

If we’re going to get the Hispanic vote we can’t be anti-Hispanics,”

Since when does anti-illegal immigration equate to “anti-hispanic”.

Seems this is racist as a) it assumes all illegals are hispanic and b) hispanics are incapable of following the law, thus they must be admitted at a lower level of compliance because of their inability to do so.

I guess the Republicans want to become the minority party. This will guarantee single party rule for generations.

AZfederalist on May 6, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Which trolls are going to say Obama intentionally threw the match-up to make the other side feel good about themselves in his awesome presence? You know — the way one said Obama purposely missed 20 out of 22 basketball shots to ‘connect’ with regular Americans.

I wish Obama realized (or cared) that improving the economy and increasing employment can’t be done by endless campaigning, taking frequent vacations, and playing golf all the time.

Liam on May 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM

==================================================================

This needs a Congressional Hearing ASAP!!

canopfor on May 6, 2013 at 10:17 PM

*clink!*

KCB on May 6, 2013 at 10:17 PM

SparkPlug on May 6, 2013 at 10:14 PM

*cough cough splutter splutter*

Don’t look at ME!!!!

Scrumpy on May 6, 2013 at 10:18 PM

you could tell at the end that [Obama] was missing on purpose…prob to connect by seeming more ordinary

nonpartisan on April 1, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Resist We Much on May 6, 2013 at 10:18 PM

A pretty good version of my favorite golf story:

This joke, which we call “God’s Just Punishment,” was submitted by a reader.

A preacher who liked to play golf every Wednesday at a modest public golf course was standing on the elevated tee at the sixth hole of that course. He took a few practice swings, and looked across the river to the immaculate private country club nearby.

“Just once I’d like to play at that gorgeous course,” the preacher said to his foursome.

Another player spoke up: “My company has a reserved tee time at that club for us every Sunday morning, and it’s all paid for, too. But all of a sudden yesterday the boss says we have to travel out of town for a week. It’s a shame to let that tee time go to waste. I could give you a guest pass and you could have it all to yourself. What do you say?”

Of course this was a dream come true for the preacher, but it put him in a terrible predicament. If he accepted the gift, he would have to miss Sunday worship. He thought to himself, “I haven’t missed a Sunday service in 17 years of preaching. A sin to be sure, but I am after all just a man trying to do my best like all the rest.” He succumbed to temptation and accepted the invitation.

On Sunday, the preacher awoke, called his deacon, and said, “I’m terribly sick today, and will not be able to offer service.”

“Well, we surely hope you are feeling better soon,” said the deacon. “What matters most it that your health is blessed, and we shall all pray for you today.”

This made the preacher feel a little guilty, but it was a beautiful clear cool morning, and promised to be a beautiful day. He opened a box from under the bed that had a new folded golf shirt, his cleaned and polished golf shoes, and he put them on instead of his usual clothes.

Later, on the beautiful practice green, the preacher fit right in but couldn’t help feeling conspicuous. At that exact moment up in Heaven, Saint Peter was looking down. He said to God, “Do you see what is happening down there? I’m very disappointed in this preacher. Surely you are going to do something?”

God replied, “Don’t worry Pete, I’ve got it all figured out.”

St. Pete knew it was best not to question any further, but to just wait patiently and watch for it all to play out. He watched the preacher walk confidently to the first tee, a short par-4. The preacher teed it up, and hit a pretty fair drive, low and straight.

But just then, God waived his hand and created the perfect little wind. The wind carried the ball as if in the hand of God and lifted it down the fairway. The ball took once bounce and landed on the green, kept rolling, swung to the right, barely crept up to the hole, and fell in. It was beautiful.

Up in heaven, St. Pete was very upset. “An albatross! Are you kidding me? Here is one of our own preachers committing this sin, on a Sunday no less. Just when I’m certain that you are going to offer up the perfect punishment to befit the sin, you instead go and reward him with a once-in-a-lifetime shot?”

God says, “Yes, but calm down Pete. Who is he going to tell?

AesopFan on May 6, 2013 at 10:19 PM

A foursome of a$$holes.

Chambliss “booed in 2007″, “retiring in 2014″, urged
“meaningful, comprehensive immigration reform” and “believes his constituents have changed their mind.”.

Criminal.

aquaviva on May 6, 2013 at 10:19 PM

This dude would golf to discuss how to dispose of all the millions of bodies, “on a lighter note”.

wolly4321 on May 6, 2013 at 10:20 PM

And if he had the guts to show his face around here now, he would still get booed!!!!

Too bad we have to wait for his retirement in ’14. Can do a lot of damage between now and then.

Barred on May 6, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Corker needs to be taken behind the woodshed.
You’re not going to get the Hispanic vote, stupid. Even amnesty reacharounder, McCain, didn’t get the vote.
Nevermind 70% of the Hispanic vote would not have won Romney the election.

AllahsNippleHair on May 6, 2013 at 10:23 PM

God says, “Yes, but calm down Pete. Who is he going to tell?”

AesopFan on May 6, 2013 at 10:19 PM

The perfect punishment to fit the ‘crime’ lol thanks for sharing!!

Scrumpy on May 6, 2013 at 10:23 PM

nonpartisan on April 1, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Resist We Much on May 6, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Nice one! Tee hee

AllahsNippleHair on May 6, 2013 at 10:23 PM

==================================================================

Wait a tic,you almost flummoxed me MKH,you
are asking a `Stealth Question`,into where
was Hopey/Changey,during the Benghazi Blitz
in the night of question thingy!

It seems,only one or more,of his staff had seen
him!

(snark)

canopfor on May 6, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Scrumpy on May 6, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Hi puffer. Where is poofer? Hehe.

SparkPlug on May 6, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Over the sound of sucking, you could hear Obama screeched “What difference does it make???”

AllahsNippleHair on May 6, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Not to carp, Mary Katherine but having a photo of Prezy Zero with the caption, ‘sub par’ is redundant. Unless of course, you got said picture from the dictionary where is was the definition of ‘sub par’. Then it’s OK.

ghostwalker1 on May 6, 2013 at 10:26 PM

SparkPlug on May 6, 2013 at 10:24 PM

poofer will be around later I am sure lol ;)

Scrumpy on May 6, 2013 at 10:29 PM

SparkPlug on May 6, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Engine on me broom is (cough splutter) clooged up…

(waves hand frantically to clear smoke)

Scrumpy on May 6, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Fore!!

Shivas Irons on May 6, 2013 at 10:30 PM

clooged = clogged duh!

Scrumpy on May 6, 2013 at 10:30 PM

….And on the 9TH Day,Gawd created a Liberal Golper,
one that would lie about his handi-cap,hack.swack,
and beat the sh*t out of a sand-trap,

so God made a Liberal…..

one that would bull-shit a hole in one…..

…..so god made a Liberal Golpher
(snark)

canopfor on May 6, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Then HotAirians showed up…

WhatSlushfund on May 6, 2013 at 10:34 PM

This is news?
No wonder..
How about..I don’t give a Fu&k.

bazil9 on May 6, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Fore!!

Shivas Irons on May 6, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Dead..

Thanks Obama..

And Shillery..

Electrongod on May 6, 2013 at 10:36 PM

AllahsNippleHair on May 6, 2013 at 10:23 PM

My lib family member votes for Corker..
Tell u something?
Mr. Partisan.

bazil9 on May 6, 2013 at 10:36 PM

How often does he play golf? This is getting ridiculous.

Blake on May 6, 2013 at 10:38 PM

AllahsNippleHair on May 6, 2013 at 10:23 PM

My lib family member votes for Corker..
Tell u something?
Mr. Partisan.

bazil9 on May 6, 2013 at 10:36 PM

You need to take them behind the woodshed too, B9.

AllahsNippleHair on May 6, 2013 at 10:38 PM

bazil9 on May 6, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I like your style young lady!! :-)

Scrumpy on May 6, 2013 at 10:38 PM

“I think at some point in time, you’ve made enough money played enough golf.”

Focused like a laser huh?

can_con on May 6, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Electrongod on May 6, 2013 at 10:11 PM

*clink*..:)

Dire Straits on May 6, 2013 at 10:40 PM

WhatSlushfund on May 6, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Lmao :)

Scrumpy on May 6, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Scrumpy on May 6, 2013 at 10:38 PM

You don’t know me yet? :)
I just got back from the grocery and gas station.
wah-lah

bazil9 on May 6, 2013 at 10:40 PM

How often does he play golf? This is getting ridiculous.

Blake on May 6, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Only as often as he lies.

AllahsNippleHair on May 6, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Nip…I do.
When it comes time..I will remember
the senior homes. ;)

bazil9 on May 6, 2013 at 10:41 PM

bazil9 on May 6, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Barry had to lie about benghazi 911 for classified reasons. Issa.

Maybe he is lying about the reasons for lying.

SparkPlug on May 6, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Barry had better get used to being a LAME DUCK!

GarandFan on May 6, 2013 at 10:42 PM

“Saxby, you didn’t hit that hole in one by yourself. I’m sure callaway or titleist had a public-private partnership somewhere that made the clubs stronger and more accurate, and made the ball fly truer. So, really, I’d appreciate a thank you.”

stldave on May 6, 2013 at 10:43 PM

The President enjoyed the chance to spend some time on the golf course with the Senators. The President was pleased that the rain held off, despite the damp forecast.

Oh well I’m glad Dog Eater enjoyed his golf and was pleased with the weather.

Meanwhile America is crumbling pretty much everywhere, but as long as Barky is enjoying his daily golf it’s all good.

Bishop on May 6, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I can’t believe we can not do better than Bob Corker in Tennessee. Ughh!

pannw on May 6, 2013 at 10:52 PM

A realization that news-whores like Brian Williams would be reporting “Obama shot five holes-in-one today” to ease the flow of getting bribes “winning stuff” by Obongo.

viking01 on May 6, 2013 at 10:53 PM

No Saxby your constituents havent changed their minds. You and your mini me Johnny Isackson are both a couple of out of touch political hacks. Dont let the door hit you on the way out.

ldbgcoleman on May 6, 2013 at 11:20 PM

It’s Monday. I went to work…at my job.

Tru2my2 on May 6, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Stevens died.

Obama lied.

And then he played golf.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on May 6, 2013 at 11:40 PM

“I think at some point in time, you’ve made enough money played enough golf.”

Focused like a laser huh?

can_con on May 6, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Now that’s funny, right there. : )

listens2glenn on May 7, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I quit playing golf. I enjoyed it, but I was never any good at it. Worse, I was a funny golfer. Strange things would happen to balls I hit. They seldom really went where I intended. Still, there’s something great about getting out on the course on a nice afternoon or early in the morning.

One time, I thought, for a second, that I was going to sink a hole-in-one. It was a short par 3. I was golfing with my best friend and some other guy. I teed off with a 4 iron and when I hit it I just knew. The ball went for the pin like a freaking laser beam. My buddy was behind me when I hit it and he just said, “Damn.” There was just that moment you realize you’re about to see something that’s once-in-a-lifetime beautiful.

There was, of course, a low-hanging power line. I hit it perfectly. It slapped the ball straight back at me. It rolled to a stop between my feet, probably not more than six inches from where it had started only seconds before. My buddy looked at me, then the ball, then back at me. So did the other guy. Nobody said anything for the longest time. Then, we all started laughing.

trigon on May 7, 2013 at 1:48 AM

So, the only thing that has improved during Obama’s presidency is his golf score.
Unless of course the CBO keeps score.

kregg on May 7, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Big deal, Kim Jung Il made 10 holes in one the very first time he played golf. If Obama isn’t doing the same then he needs remedial dictator training. I wonder just how much more crappy his golf game will get after leaving office.

Happy Nomad on May 7, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Unless of course the CBO keeps score.

kregg on May 7, 2013 at 6:47 AM

I had to work on a Monday afternoon. Must be nice to just call up Marine One and hop in to the South Course at Andrews instead of, you know, doing your job.

Happy Nomad on May 7, 2013 at 7:30 AM

I think it’s a safe prediction that people won’t remember Saxby Chambliss’s hole in one for as long as they remember Chris Chambliss’s home run.

radjah shelduck on May 7, 2013 at 8:19 AM

trigon on May 7, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Great story, well told.

Cleombrotus on May 7, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Looks like Nero is fiddling to me. I don’t care about the hobbies of these a$$hats. Can we lay off the fun and games? It is an insult to the millions who can’t find a job, 70+ hours a week those who have a job or own a small business have to put in to keep afloat, increased govt. regulations, heavy tax burdens upon all of us and the increased cost of healthcare with Obamacare.

Amjean on May 7, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Liam on May 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I’m not sure about this. If we sent all the regulatory folks and all of Congress and the President on vacations for the next 3 years, the economy might recovery like gangbusters.

GWB on May 7, 2013 at 9:45 AM

POTUS is as queer as a $3 bill…

Every photo of this guy playing ANY type of sport (basketball, riding a bicycle, “shooting skeet,” or tossing the first pitch) including his beloved game of golf, makes it easy to surmise that he putts from the rough.

Polish Rifle on May 7, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Now we don’t want to jump the gun and call it a hole in one just yet until we investigate.

flstc on May 7, 2013 at 12:02 PM

“If we’re going to get the Hispanic vote we can’t be anti-Hispanics,”

Oh sweet Jesus! Who needs Democrats when we have Republicans like this?

jnelchef on May 7, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Obama should spend more time practicing his golf game so that he can beat Chambliss. He’ll have less time to damage the country that way.

Steve Z on May 7, 2013 at 1:55 PM

“Don’t sell yourself short Mr. President, you’re a tremendous slouch.”

NoDonkey on May 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM

trigon on May 7, 2013 at 1:48 AM

You probably got a charge out of that shot!

Steve Z on May 7, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Mark Udall is a critical supporter of immigration reform from a purple state.

Who’re we kidding here? For those of us who live here and have seen two consecutive Dem governors elected, two Democratic senators and an assortment of House members, a Dem majority in both houses of the State legislature, two consecutive presidential elections go to Obama (including one after a Democratic National Convention in Denver), plus a recently passed package of gun-control bills, state-rate tuition to illegal immigrants, civil unions, AND a constitutional amendment legalizing marijuana (followed by a nifty 4/20 pot rally in which three people were shot – thanks, stoners), this formerly beautiful state is a very deep blue shade of “purple.” I don’t know what it will take to get the pendulum swinging back to red.

Sad but true.

Captain Scarlet on May 7, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Those lefties think, “How dare he made a hole in one on purpose just to show the President up” They think like that all the time.

mixplix on May 7, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I guess it’s newsworthy if a GOP representative has any kind of victory!

virgo on May 8, 2013 at 2:27 AM