New idea to make “Walking Dead” more watchable: Sub in completely different dialogue

posted at 5:21 pm on May 6, 2013 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, a little TWD fix in lieu of the traditional Monday night grumble thread. Watching it, I had three revelations about the show:

1. The zombies have showed more range than Michonne. Has she had a single scene as affecting as the one where the Governor brushes Penny’s hair? Good lord, writers. The bad-lip-reading guy must have mined dozens of hours of footage looking for Michonne dialogue to overdub and still couldn’t find anything. Let’s do better.

2. Andrea is annoying even when played for laughs.

3. As far as the musical number goes, I’m reminded of what someone once said about why melodrama is superior to realism. If you screw up melodrama, the audience laughs. If you screw up realism, the audience is bored. Think back on season two, during the long, long hours of talking, talking, talking, talking, and ask yourself: How could it have been worse with show tunes involved? What would have been lost if Rick and Shane had broken into a duet of “Having My Baby” about Lori?

Comments

The same could be said for Congress.

MustLoveBlogs on May 6, 2013 at 5:24 PM

The guy got one of the governor’s lines wrong.

It was not “bloody shrimp”, but “pistol shrimp”.

cozmo on May 6, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Hell, I can remember (barely) sitting around with college roommates and doing the same thing while watching Police Woman many, many moons ago. I don’t think it is necessary to describe the direction the made-up dialogue went, and it would be unrepeatable even now in any case.

novaculus on May 6, 2013 at 5:30 PM

My favorite part is whne the Govvernor starts singing to Rick!

and Thank God, Andrea is DEAD.

PolAgnostic on May 6, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Great. Now I have “labibbidabibbidum labibbidabibbidoo” stuck in my head.

Stu Gotts on May 6, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Polagnostic…had they done that episode as a musical it would have maade it the best ever….rather than the worst.

A lot of fun this video was.

CW on May 6, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Threet!

xblade on May 6, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Threet!

xblade on May 6, 2013 at 5:42 PM

That hit me as incredibly funny. Not sure why but I had to wipe my eyes.

CW on May 6, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Best Walking Dead episode ever! If they were all that good I wouldn’t have stopped watching in season 2.

deepdiver on May 6, 2013 at 5:46 PM

At some point, every TV show inevitably deserves the MST3K treatment.

Liam on May 6, 2013 at 5:50 PM

AP, not meaning to rain on your TWD post but you might take a look at my post on Erika’s Jobs post:

Instead, what the Bureau of Economic Analysis will count (as part of GDP) are corporate promises of how much companies will (may? might?) pay… eventually.

PolAgnostic on May 6, 2013 at 5:32 PM

With the take away that the Bureau of Economic Analysis is planning on taking the “Enron approach” to calculating the GDP.

And mix in this article on last Friday jobs report:

While most pundits have focused on the BLS Establishment Survey, which reported that 165,000 payroll jobs had been created during April, the Household Survey* numbers told a much different story.

Total employment rose by 293,000 during April, but part-time jobs increased by 441,000. As a result, full-time jobs declined by 148,000.

Add some Wagnerian music (a la Bugs Bunny) … you might have a blogospheric hit on your hands documenting the Most Corrupt Administration Ever’s willingness to Lie Like It’s Benghazi

(which I suggest as an ongoing series title)

… or if you don’t want to do it, maybe RWM will?

PolAgnostic on May 6, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Check it out..in the Iron Man review thread downpage, the comments have been replaced with comments from the Argo review.

How does that even happen?

TexasDan on May 6, 2013 at 5:59 PM

How does that even happen?

TexasDan on May 6, 2013 at 5:59 PM

And now they’re back. Can’t replicate my issue. So odd.

TexasDan on May 6, 2013 at 6:09 PM

And now they’re back. Can’t replicate my issue. So odd.

TexasDan on May 6, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I noticed it over the weekend on a few threads. As bad as glitches can be, this ain’t one of them.

cozmo on May 6, 2013 at 6:11 PM

All right. I admit it. I laughed out loud at that. :)

Axe on May 6, 2013 at 6:29 PM

A related favorite we used to do in college after a night of … fun.

Pop in ‘The Wizard of Oz’ on mute and start ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ after the second roar of the lion – an oldie but a goodie if you’ve never watched this surreality before.

King B on May 6, 2013 at 6:31 PM

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! This show really would be more entertaining if the zombies had dialogue.

cynccook on May 6, 2013 at 6:41 PM

That’s why I never sneeze around fish.

John the Libertarian on May 6, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Badly dubbed dialogue is what makes Japanese monster movies and martial arts movies worth watching.

Dan_Yul on May 6, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Pundont: leave the Walking Dead alone!

long_cat on May 6, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Stu Gotts on May 6, 2013 at 5:36 PM
labibbidabibbidum labibbidabibbidoo
labibbidabibbidum labibbidabibbidoo
labibbidabibbidum labibbidabibbidoo
labibbidabibbidum labibbidabibbidoo

Aaaaaag. Kill me, quick!

yongoro on May 6, 2013 at 11:35 PM

I would totally start watching the show again if they’d ditch the original dialogue. This was waaay more entertaining, especially the Governor.

DarthBrooks on May 6, 2013 at 11:57 PM

No offense, but this is the dumbest thread I’ve ever seen on this site.

Cylor on May 7, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Thanks I needed a good laugh after a long shift at work!

gator70 on May 7, 2013 at 9:03 AM

labibbidabibbidum labibbidabibbidoo
labibbidabibbidum labibbidabibbidoo

aahhhh. Your killin me smalls!

mechkiller_k on May 7, 2013 at 9:46 AM