Bill Richardson: I don’t think Ted Cruz should be defined as a Hispanic

posted at 11:21 am on May 6, 2013 by Allahpundit

Via Breitbart, deep thoughts from BR on (a) how insulting our politics has become, and also (b) how Ted Cruz is a phony Latino. Skip to 2:15 for the key bit. Actually, I think Ramesh Ponnuru’s right that the question is arguably more revealing than the answer:

If you strain hard, you can read Richardson’s comment as simply challenging the premise. I.e. “No, he doesn’t represent Hispanics well, but he’s not supposed to. Texas elected him, not ‘Hispanics.’” Whatever he meant, though, this clip demonstrates what the left would call a Larger Truth: If Cruz ends up on the ticket in 2016, the media will spend lots of time (at Democrats’ urging) exploring his racial authenticity, specifically in terms of whether someone who opposes a path to citizenship for illegals can “really” qualify as Latino. That’s the obvious counter to the threat that Cruz, by becoming the first Latino presidential or VP nominee, might complicate the left’s “Republicans hate Latinos” narrative. (Which will, rest assured, exist in some form in 2016 whether or not immigration reform passes with bipartisan support.) Rubio’s candidacy is harder because he’s taken the pro-amnesty position that the media thinks Latino pols are “supposed” to take. How do you challenge his authenticity? One possible answer: Accuse him, surreally, of being too hawkish about border enforcement. It’s already happening:

Rubio is also taking criticism from the other end of the political spectrum, with Hispanic advocacy groups singling him out for being overly punitive.

“We see Rubio as increasingly representing all that is wrong with comprehensive immigration reform as it’s currently proposed, and we see him as a politician that has big aspirations, but still no pull with Latinos outside of the very small right-wing groups” in the Miami-based Cuban exile community, said Arturo Carmona, executive director of Presente.org, a Latino advocacy group.

Another possible answer: Don’t challenge his authenticity. Instead, concern-troll him and the GOP about conservatives maybe possibly conceivably staying home in the general election due to outrage at his work on the Gang of Eight bill. (They won’t, but you’ll hear a lot about it before election day.) Cruz will be treated as not Latino enough, in other words, and Rubio will be treated as “too Latino” in order to sustain the “racist Republicans” narrative somehow. Politicians come and go but media filters are forever.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM

That’s weird, I don’t vote based on what the government can give me, I vote so they will leave me alone.

Cindy Munford on May 6, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I imagine that’s exactly how you view it.

verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM

which is a losing one.
verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Seems he won his last go around.

CW on May 6, 2013 at 12:18 PM

He’s been a Texan since he was 4…so he’s a Texan.

workingclass artist on May 6, 2013 at 12:05 PM

That reminder changes my observation re: Cruz a little bit: the idea that he identifies first as an American.

Knowing Texans, that’s probably what he identifies himself first as….

A Texan American. :-)

(nothing wrong with that.)

identity politics is stupid.

Fenris on May 6, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Now if at least 80 percent of the country would wake up and realize it…

theotherone on May 6, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Indeed.

Cruz doesn’t seem too concerned about it…admits his spanish is terrible.

He also doesn’t think it’s particularly important since English is the lingua franca in America…which is typically Tejano actually.

workingclass artist on May 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I can’t imagine how irritated you must be but that Italian guy Marco Rubio.

verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 12:15 PM

In English?

CW on May 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Verballuce-

Strangley you’re absent from the thread:

Whistleblower: Hillary cut State’s counter-terrorism bureau out of Benghazi loop

You’re pretty much predictable.

CW on May 6, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Yep. Don’t see near the number of question authority stickers I saw 5-10 years ago. strange.

CW on May 6, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I’ve been pondering dual “question authority” and “NRA” stickers.

As stupid as the identity politics played by Repubs…
…that which they consider their ‘base’ now largely favors immigration reform.

verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM

So you’re saying Republicans play identity politics by resisting identity politics. That’s an interesting approach. Not that I agree with what you say the base supports.

Fenris on May 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Cindy Munford on May 6, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Apparently you don’t know the joy of a BarkPhone or the completeness you feel at being abandoned on the roof of a foreign consulate while terrorists stream toward you.

Bishop on May 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Diplomat to testify that Benghazi “was a terrorist attack from the beginning”
POSTED AT 8:01 AM ON MAY 6, 2013 BY ED MORRISSEY

What no verbaluce either?

CW on May 6, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I don’t think liberals should be defined as Americans. Everything they currently stand for would have ended in charges of treason 50 years ago.

ClassicCon on May 6, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Stupid thing to say…esp. with the follow up…

verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Good, now take the next rational step: He actually believes that and is stupid. Then take the next rational step after that: identity politics is stupid.

Fenris on May 6, 2013 at 12:05 PM

As stupid as the identity politics played by Repubs…
which they turn to and fail on more frequently –
that which they consider their ‘base’ now largely favors immigration reform. (They’re also not repping their constituents as far as SSM, Guns, and taxes.)
So all that’s truly relevant is Cruz’z position…which is a losing one. And now that Rubio’s been deemed a RINO…Limbaugh, Beck, etc. have a new regular guest.

verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Oh, this is rich. Where’s rogerb to save this….identity politics played by repubs.
You want all our repubs to bend over and act like dems.
Not gonna happen.
We don’t believe Guam will tip over.
We don’t want to pass the bill to know what’s in it.
We don’t believe that there are 57 states.
We don’t honor “corpsemen”.
We know Memorial Day soldiers that are honored are NOT in the audience because they are dead.
We don’t blow into breatholizers when we go to the hospital for an asthma attack.
We don’t want to take the red pill or the blue pill and we don’t want to just let our elderly fade off in the name of savings.
We don’t believe German death camps were actually Polish death camps.
We don’t speak Austrian.
We do not want to gather all the companies and take them over, ala dead Hugo Chavez, like that socialist, Maxine Waters, wants to do.
We don’t believe the two Vietnams live peacefully side by side.
We don’t get angry that we cannot see the American flag on Mars from the Mars Rover.

And, your women. Good heavens. Thank goodness for bags and plastic surgery.

AllahsNippleHair on May 6, 2013 at 12:25 PM

LOL..Ted Cruz speaks for hispanics? We’ll remember that when he does everything he can to stovepipe the immigration bill. BTW, when is Ted Cruz plan on leading in some legislation?

rubberneck on May 6, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Isn’t an immigration bill going to cover everyone of any foreign nation and their ethnicity, or have you finally conceded that this is all a ploy to create a hispanic dependency group for demorats?

Cruz is acting as if the United States is a nation of laws rather than men, I can see how that concept would be alien to you.

Bishop on May 6, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Yep.

““I am categorically opposed to amnesty,” Ted Cruz said in a television appearance uploaded to YouTube by his campaign in June. “Amnesty is wrong, it’s contrary to rule of law and it’s unfair to the millions of legal immigrants who waited in line and came here legally.”

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/politics/2012/08/01/what-does-ted-cruzs-victory-mean-for-texas-latinos/#ixzz2SWxBwlEq

workingclass artist on May 6, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I’ve been complaining for years about news outlets obsessing with ethnicity, even here at Hot Air which from time to time still points out that Barack is the first African American president. Does it matter? Does it make a difference? Every news outlet which has pointed that out about Barack cannot suddenly say ethnicity shouldn’t matter in this case.

I’m a Tea Party conservative with a Latino background, and I’m SICK of people making ethnicity an issue. It’s not a crutch or a determining factor for how one votes, so stop pointing it out. Richardson should shut his mouth.

madmonkphotog on May 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM

This coming from a guy named Bill Richardson. Ted must be laughing. Love those racist liberals.

Philly on May 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM

verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 12:15 PM

You’re a laugh a minute. First you make a token statement that Richardson was stupid for his comments in hope gaining a smattering of personal credibility around here, then go on a rant about Republicans and Conservatives. It seems you’re more worried about Rush and Glenn Beck than you are that another Dem ‘acted stupidly’.

Liam on May 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Cindy Munford on May 6, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Hear! Hear!

Resist We Much on May 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Verballuce-

Strangley you’re absent from the thread:

You’re pretty much predictable.

CW on May 6, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Well, nice to be missed…
But had a look at that post…I just don’t see anything new there. Just yet another ‘Fox news says Issa’s about to prove it all’ story..
Figured I’d leave you guys to it on that one.
(And isn’t that what so many of you are always asking of me??)

verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 12:27 PM

which is a losing one.
verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Seems he won his last go around.

CW on May 6, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Sorry…to clarify…I meant a losing position on immigration.
You feel he’s on the winning side of that one moving forward?
Well, ok.

verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Liam on May 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Verbal’s all about carrying the water.

CW on May 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM

But had a look at that post…I just don’t see anything new there.
verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Yeh you just looked now.

You’re hilarious.

CW on May 6, 2013 at 12:30 PM

verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Liam on May 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Ain’t intellectual honesty a b*tch…

verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Sorry…to clarify…I meant a losing position on immigration.
You feel he’s on the winning side of that one moving forward?
Well, ok.

verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM

It’s not the winning issue you think it is for the left.

CW on May 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Sorry…to clarify…I meant a losing position on immigration.
You feel he’s on the winning side of that one moving forward?
Well, ok.

verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Losing position with who?

VegasRick on May 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Ain’t intellectual honesty a b*tch…

verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Just keep carrying the dems’ ballsacks. You’re good at it. No self-respect like most libs I know. Sellout.

CW on May 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM

What no verbaluce either?

CW on May 6, 2013 at 12:24 PM

There’s nothing new there. It’s just Faux News talking points where apparently they forced a career diplomat of the state department to say the attack wasn’t the result of a youtube movie.

I’m tellin’ ya, FOX is like the Jews, they’re everywhere with their evil; under your bed, crawling across the walls at night, scratching at your window during violent storms.

Bishop on May 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Politicians come and go but media filters are forever.

Indeed.

So, who is really running the country??

AesopFan on May 6, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Ain’t intellectual honesty a b*tch…

verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM

A reason you have such an obsessive fetish against Conservatives and Republicans, obviously.

Liam on May 6, 2013 at 12:37 PM

So Billy Richard Head doesn’t think Cruz represents Hispanics??

Let’s add to that.

Ben Carson doesn’t represenst Blacks
John Yoo doesn’t represent Asians

And WE ALL KNOW, SARAH PALIN DOESN’T REPRESENT WOMEN!!!!

Anyone see a pattern here??

ToddPA on May 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM

What no verbaluce either?

CW on May 6, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Bishop on May 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM

The last I knew Face the Nation was on CBS.

CW on May 6, 2013 at 12:38 PM

So Verbal is FTN on Fox…oh yeh it’s Fox The Nation.Thanks.

You’re a joke.

CW on May 6, 2013 at 12:40 PM

This “he’s not Hispanic enough” or “he’s not black enough” is the logical conclusion of an ideology that won’t examine itself for errors or correct its wrong conclusions.

“All Hispanics must support such-and-such policy, so, if they don’t support it, then either I was wrong about Hispanics, or else … I got it … he’s not Hispanic!”

It’s the epitome of “I can’t accept that I might be wrong”. Cruz’s mother is Hispanic, his father his Hispanic, his name is Cruz, he identifies as Hispanic … but he’s not Hispanic. To put it charitably, to believe that is pig-headed, or evidence of deep denial. To be less charitable, it’s psychotic. Insane.

Paul-Cincy on May 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Ain’t intellectual honesty a b*tch…

verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Why yes, yes it is….now we’ll wait, whilst you apply
that to Billy Richard Head…..

ToddPA on May 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM

thatsafactjack on May 6, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Well, the Establishment in the UK…and not just the Tories…just had an earthquake. UKIP got 23% of the vote in local elections and is projected to win the EU Parliament elections next year. (UKIP: 23%, Tories: 25%, Labour: 29%, and LibDems: 14%). It was the first time in history that none of the 3 main parties broke 30%.

A HUGE swath of the natural Conservative voters, who in the past knocked on doors, made phone calls, got out the handbills, and drove people to the polls, has defected to UKIP. And, in many elections, Labour lost 25% to 30% of its own voters to UKIP, according to many exit polls. The Lib Dems were decimated.

The UK’s Tea Party moment has arrived and now the three main parties are paying the price for their priorities of more immigration, windmills, foreign aid (while destroying the military, SSM, more welfare, etc. Muffin’s ‘Conservative Party’ is toast in 2015, unless they get rid of him and form a coalition with UKIP. And, Red Ed and Ed ScrewBalls are both seriously loathed by the country, as their incompetence, spending, and priorities were on full display during Gordon Brown’s tenure.

Red Ed Miliband’s brother tried to warn the Left and Right Establishment a couple of years ago. Immigration is a major concern for blue-collar voters, union workers, Main Street, middle class voters, etc, and the refusal to pay attention to the concerns of voters, while calling them ‘racists, xenophobes, and bigots’ will come back to haunt them. Brown found that out after he called a lifelong Labour voter a ‘bigot.’ The country, including a majority of his own party, agreed with her, not him.

I posted a lot of articles on my blog on this earthquake on Saturday and Sunday (too many links for HA). Last Thursday was the UK Establishment’s 1994/2010 midterms.

Resist We Much on May 6, 2013 at 12:42 PM

verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Cindy Munford on May 6, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I imagine that’s exactly how you view it.

verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM

It’s how any sane person should view it.

Chris of Rights on May 6, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Billy

Richard Head…..

ToddPA on May 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Dick Head?

VegasRick on May 6, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Hey Hispanics…….welcome to the DEMOCRAT PLANTATION!!!

Blacks have been there for decades (thanks to getting on the Welfare teat that LBJ offered them).

Now, it’s your turn. How you like it?

PappyD61 on May 6, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Bishop on May 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM

He’s got three and half more years, there is no telling what’s in store for me. So far cutting a third of our income has sufficiently pizzed me off, I don’t think a phone’s going to get it.

Cindy Munford on May 6, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Billy

Richard Head…..

ToddPA on May 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Dick Head?

VegasRick on May 6, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Hey now, we’ll have none of that!!

I would NEVER impy, such a thing!

ToddPA on May 6, 2013 at 12:49 PM

ToddPA on May 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Wha?
I said it was a stupid thing for him to say – and further pointed out that he contradicted himself a few sentences later bemoaning the lack of ‘civility’ in these discussions.

verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM

It’s how any sane person should view it.

Chris of Rights on May 6, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I don’t think that ‘sane’ is the right word. If I were barely living in a 3rd world festering hole, trying to move someplace that gave me free stuff (legal or not) would seem rather sane. Unfortunately, the end result of national policy allowing that to happen will be to turn the USA into a similar festering hole.

Fenris on May 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM

The left will tell us who they fear.

….are we listening?

PappyD61 on May 6, 2013 at 12:51 PM

If you think race determines where you should stand on issues, then who’s the bigot?

Terms like oreo, banana, coconut, Uncle Tom, these all come from the Left, and they are all derisive terms meant to denigrate people based on their race. And this is all closely associated with identity politics. Wake up, people. The evil of our day is the race-baiting of identity politics. Today’s Bull Connors are all in the Democratic Party.

Paul-Cincy on May 6, 2013 at 11:35 AM

This can not be emphasized often enough.

Chris of Rights on May 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Perhaps to be more authentically hispanic, Cruz could change his last name to “Cruzardson”?

drunyan8315 on May 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Cindy Munford on May 6, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Then you are a bigot and a homophobe and a bigot.

Unless your real name is Conchita Alonso Montoya and you vote demorat, in that case I apologize for speaking so harshly to you.

Bishop on May 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM

rubberspine can talk out of both sides of his azz.

VegasRick on May 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM

You mean the side at the top of his spine and the one at the bottom of it?

it’s what he’s actually saying that matters.

verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Well, that will be a nice change.

GWB on May 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Fenris on May 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I’ll accept your statement.

How about, “it’s how any sane American should view it”?

Chris of Rights on May 6, 2013 at 12:54 PM

ToddPA on May 6, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Wha?

verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I’m aware of that…Congratulations…..

figured I’d give you the honor of Reinforcing your message
to You.

ToddPA on May 6, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Today’s Bull Connors are all in the Democratic Party.”

As where yesterday’s, for that matter.

drunyan8315 on May 6, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Not defining Cruz as Hispanic is like not defining Richardson as fat. I guess you can do it, but you’d look a little foolish.

dirtseller on May 6, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I’ll accept your statement.

How about, “it’s how any sane American should view it”?

Chris of Rights on May 6, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Okay. I was considering “thinking person” or “person who thinks ahead”. But I really don’t consider lefties completely sane, in the sense that they are ruled by passions rather than thought, so the two ideas are related.

Fenris on May 6, 2013 at 12:57 PM

But of course. If WASP-y liberals can escape the wickedness of their ethnicity via their political opinions, it stands to reason that their pet savages can lose the noble sheen conferred by their own heritage when they fail to pay homage to the glorious ideas that makes liberal WASPs so very, very special.

VerbumSap on May 6, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Cindy Munford on May 6, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Then you are a bigot and a homophobe and a bigot.

Bishop on May 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM

You said Bigot twice….

..que the Blazing Saddles dialoque….

“Qualifications: Rape, Murder, Arson, and Rape.
You said Rape twice. I like Rape”

ToddPA on May 6, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Bill Richardson is a jerk. I’m so glad his presidential candidacy of 2008 went absolutely nowhere.

terryannonline on May 6, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Then you are a bigot and a homophobe and a bigot.

Bishop on May 6, 2013 at 12:53 PM

LOL!

terryannonline on May 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM

terryannonline on May 6, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Hard to stay focused when the Federales are investigating you for corruption…

workingclass artist on May 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM

If being 1/2 Cuban isn’t being Hispanic then being 1/2 Kenyan must mean you are just another old white guy.

bopbottle on May 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Hard to stay focused when the Federales are investigating you for corruption…

workingclass artist on May 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I didn’t even know about his corruption charges. Even more reason not to like this guy.

terryannonline on May 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Leftists starting their “not Spanish enough” whisper campaign for 2016.

Philly on May 6, 2013 at 1:32 PM

If you strain hard, you can read Richardson’s comment

Why? WHY are you telling us “Strain Hard”? And WHY are you?

Is this The Standard that you will apply to EVERYONE, now?

Will you apply this standard to things Sarah Palin says?

Or George W. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH?

Or anyone else who is truly “conservative”?

How about Rush Limbaugh and his “slut” comment? Are you going to “strain hard” to rationalize THAT and make it okay? Just wondering where and how you are applying your Standards, ED.

There does not appear to be any consistentcy or logic to it.

williamg on May 6, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Allah – if were to take this to its logical conclusion as you’ve defined it then Obama doesn’t speak for white people and no White president (including Lincoln) has eer represented black people.

You can even slice this (given low polling turn out percentages) that white presidents aren’t even representative of white people.

Is this the stupidity of public discourse we’ve defenerated to?

Richardson made a racist statement and effectively called Cruz an Uncle Tom.

Don’t quibble with intellectual superlatives.

Skywise on May 6, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I do think Bill Richardson can be described as yet another Clinton lackey and criminal in a long list of such.

He’s lucky he’s not dead or in prison or both by now.

Sherman1864 on May 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM

My wife is Hispanic with family in El Paso and Juarez. The members of her family that I have talked to would like nothing more than to have the border walled off. They blame the civil war in Mexico as much on US as on the drug lords. No, they don’t want amnesty; they want consistent enforcement and peace.

Ace ODale on May 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM

What is wrong with that Richardson guy? Doesn’t he believe in the “one drop rule” when it comes to Hispanics?

It sure seems to when it comes to Elizabeth Warren.

Democrats are racist, straight up.

thgrant on May 6, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Just heard an infuriating commercial supporting Rubio’s immigration bill as not amnesty, ‘very conservative’, gives no rewards to lawbreakers, doesn’t give Obamacare, blah blah blah – paid for by something like ‘Americans For Conservative Action’.

Who the f*ck is that, and are they Soros-funded? lol

Midas on May 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Who the f*ck is that, and are they Soros-funded? lol

Midas on May 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Yep. The libs are pulling all sorts of stunts.

Americans for a Conservative Direction: Mark Zuckerberg’s FWD.US, which funds Americans for a Conservative Direction, lists several co-founders and major donors from the tech community who have publicly or privately supporter marriage equality. They include Microsoft’s Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer, Google’s Eric Schmidt, Napster co-founder Sean Parker, Zynga co-founder Mark Pincus, and several others. Zuckberg’s own Facebook has been among industry leaders in supporting equal treatment for same-sex couples.

tom daschle concerned on May 6, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Well, in fairness, I don’t think of Bill Richardson, or hardly any other Democrat, as American.

M240H on May 6, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Resist We Much on May 6, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I followed this with great interest and am very interested in the outcome. Your assessment is insightful and accurate, as always. I’m delighted to see the British people taking back their nation from the political class and can only hope that there remains the will and determination to do the same here.

I’ll check out those entries on your blog, too. :)

thatsafactjack on May 6, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Richardson s/b in prison, based on so much.

Schadenfreude on May 6, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Benedict Arnold Richardson, were he possessed of shame and a soul, would never shoe his face in public, again.

Schadenfreude on May 6, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Richardson is Mr. Fraud himself. It doesn’t matter what his background is. He is a charltan to the nation and to the state he ‘lead’ into the ground.

Schadenfreude on May 6, 2013 at 2:19 PM

He’s lucky he’s not dead or in prison or both by now.

Sherman1864 on May 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM

You nailed it!!!

Schadenfreude on May 6, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Cruz represents a free America and Americans, not Hispanics.

The others, incl. the questioners/Richardson/verbaluce are the racists.

Schadenfreude on May 6, 2013 at 2:22 PM

This is way cool.

Schadenfreude on May 6, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Bishop on May 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I’m spiderman? Cool!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Just yet another ‘Fox news says Issa’s about to prove it all’ story..
Figured I’d leave you guys to it on that one.
(And isn’t that what so many of you are always asking of me??)

verbaluce on May 6, 2013 at 12:27 PM

In an appearance on Face the Nation this morning, Rep. Darrell Issa revealed several new pieces of information about the Obama administration’s controversial description of the 2012 terrorist attack in Benghazi, Libya, casting doubt that the White House mischaracterized its cause by mere accident.

You’re a loser.

CW on May 6, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Sen. Rubio Plays Defense

As the public outcry against the Gang of Eight’s amnesty legislation grows, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL), who once called the group’s 844-page bill the “toughest immigration bill in U.S. history,” is now admitting it may not be so tough after all.

On talk radio last week, Sen. Rubio conceded that the bill needs improvements and is unlikely to pass Congress in its current form. “I think this [bill] is a starting point…we can and should improve [it],” Sen. Rubio told host Mike Gallagher. (See Rubio interview, Apr. 30, 2013) He then admitted, “The bill that’s in place right now probably can’t pass the House; it will have to be adjusted because people are very suspicious about the willingness of the government to enforce the laws now — and in the future — given our experiences with immigration in the past.” (Id.; see also Politico, May 1, 2013)

Then the next day on the Sean Hannity radio show, Sen. Rubio further acknowledged the bill’s border security provisions were inadequate. Without going into detail, Sen. Rubio admitted, “The part we still have to do some work on is this border stuff.” (See The Daily Caller, May 2, 2013) He continued, “[C]learly what we have in there now is not good enough for too many people so we got to make it better…So what I tell people that don’t like what we’re doing on the border is to send us ideas.” (Id.)

Sen. Rubio also attempted to quell concerns that the Secretary of Homeland Security, who already has a track record of non-enforcement, is ceded too much unchecked authority under the legislation. “If in fact, somehow in the drafting the unintended consequence is that the Secretary is given too much discretion, we can fix that….” said Sen. Rubio (See Rubio interview, Apr. 30, 2013) “[O]therwise, what we have in place now is the ultimate waiver….” (Id.) Despite this acknowledgement, the bill neither contains, nor has Sen. Rubio or any member of the Gang of Eight proposed, putting an end to President Obama’s Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program or any other prosecutorial discretion initiative employed by the Administration.

Rather, Sen. Rubio and his fellow Gang members have deliberately ignored the concerns of officers charged with enforcing U.S. immigration law. In fact, they ignored repeated requests by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) union president Chris Crane to provide input over the bill’s enforcement provisions. “Almost one month ago, we asked for a meeting with the Gang of Eight to discuss law enforcement concerns,” Mr. Crane said at a mid-April press conference held by Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL). (breitbart.com, Apr. 27, 2013) “[The Gang] told us they weren’t taking meetings but they were meeting all along with special interests and pro-amnesty groups.” said Crane. (Id.)

Although, Sen. Rubio finally met with Mr. Crane a day before the Gang introduced its bill, the meeting lasted just over an hour and none of his concerns were taken into account. (Id.) To the contrary, Mr. Crane was escorted out of the Gang of Eight press conference following the bill’s introduction for attempting to ask a question. (See video of Chris Crane discussing incident; see also The Daily Caller, Apr. 18, 2013)

RUBIO PLAYS DEFENSE. ICE Union Head shut out of meetings with Gang of Eight and then escorted from launch of bill… for trying to ask a question.

thatsafactjack on May 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I’m spiderman? Cool!

annoyinglittletwerp on May 6, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Could be.

You are definitely gender confused.

cozmo on May 6, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Richardson is a racist.

I say that with all seriousness and sincerity.

rubberbrain is the biggest racist on this thread.

verbaluce tries but fails. Check the latest polls, after Boston, on immigration. Also, most people were and still are, against Obama’care’. You don’t care about those opinions.

To say that leftists are just hypocritical is not just. They are tyrants, exploiters of the stupid masses, whom they keep in modern day plantations, for votes only.

One day said masses will wake up. It ain’t gon’ be pretty.

Schadenfreude on May 6, 2013 at 2:50 PM

If Cruz does run and gets the GOP nomination, expect to see a strange new respect for birtherism on the left, and lots of tortured parsing about what “natural born citizen” really means in the mainstream media.

Hayabusa on May 6, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Schadenfreude on May 6, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I am still waiting for Obama to come out against Obamacare cuz you know what the polls say….

CW on May 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Hayabusa on May 6, 2013 at 3:07 PM

And dante’s head will explode.

cozmo on May 6, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Hayabusa on May 6, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Every article from the left already always reads “Ted Cruz, born in Canada…”

Heh, Obama set the record ‘straight’. They have nada.

Schadenfreude on May 6, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Ergo, The Frito Bandito would thus be qualified to speak for all Hispanics

TexasJew on May 6, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I don’t guess that we can count on Clarence Thomas as being black either!

cajunpatriot on May 6, 2013 at 3:48 PM

That’s okay, my family and relatives don’t consider me to be “real Irish” because I think the IRA is a terrorist organization.

patch on May 6, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I wonder if Bill Richardson thinks Sen. Elizabeth Warren is defined as a native American?

STL_Vet on May 6, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Democrats hate R minorities.

Schadenfreude on May 6, 2013 at 5:35 PM

In all fairness to Three Chins Richardson. I don’t think you can define Three Chins as Fat, Disgusting Pig. He is much more than a Fat, Disgusting Pig. You have to take into account his four tier belly and his Man Boobs to capture the true essence of his grotesque nature. I hear he sweats Taco Bell Enchilada Sauce and Sour Cream. Ole’!!

Tbone McGraw on May 6, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Who is the gay blade ABC drone? In addition to his effeminate liberalism, he’s apparently a racist who views “Hispanics” as some sort of monolithic racial sterotype which can be “represented” by the right kind of Latino politician.

Racist.

Jaibones on May 6, 2013 at 10:22 PM

lBishop?????

KCB on May 6, 2013 at 10:42 PM

This is strange…..

KCB on May 6, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Am I in the right thread???

KCB on May 6, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Hello?

KCB on May 6, 2013 at 10:43 PM

So Bill Richardson thinks all hispanics should think the same.

Using the standards a Republican would be held to, Bill Richardson is a racist. Case closed.

Btw, I’m a hispanic, and take offense at his doublespeak referring to illegal immigration as “immigration” and amnesty as “immigration reform”.

netster007x on May 6, 2013 at 10:47 PM

netster007x on May 6, 2013 at 10:47 PM

So many directions to go with this. But let’s go to immigration reform, aka Amnesty. Derbyshire notes the insanity of offering amnesty to 15 million illegals and entry to 20 million of their gay friends, whilst 15% of the current population is on food stamps.

But hey, if you’re a Democrat this might make sense.

Jaibones on May 6, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I’m all for reforms.
1. If it had Ted Kennedy’s name on it expunge it.
2. If someone say’s, “there ought to be a law” … deport them.
3. If immigration means that we take in more dimwits than geniuses lower the minimum wage.
4. The constitution was written in english. Learn it in our native tongue.
5. If you love your country of origin so much … go back.
6. If you came here for a free ride. Paying for a bus ride back is a bargain for us hard working taxpayers.
7. If you are here illegally you are a criminal.
8. If you engage in criminal activity you are out of here.
9. If you don’t have insurance your native country foots the bill.
10. If you go to court your native country pays the bill.

Now what are you really ready to give up to become a citizen in the greatest country known to world history?

kregg on May 7, 2013 at 6:42 AM