S.C. Dem chair doubles down on Nikki Haley comments

posted at 3:31 pm on May 5, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

As you’ve no doubt heard by now, the chair of South Carolina’s Democrat party, Dick Harpootlian, raised some eyebrows on Friday when he urged supporters to help send GOP Governor Nikki Haley, “back to wherever the hell she came from.” Given that the governor is of Indian descent, this was widely reported on and seemed to put the lie to that whole, oppose the GOP because they’re the real racists meme. But politicians put their over sized feet in their mouth all the time, right? Clearly, we’ll see a quickly sketched out non-apology and everyone will move on to the next story of the day. Well… not so fast.

Harpootlian, a longtime Democratic figure who has a history of using harsh rhetoric, made the comments at the party’s Jefferson-Jackson dinner just moments before Vice-President Joe Biden took the stage.

Asked what he meant by comment, Harpootlian wrote in an email: “Lexington County.”

Before being elected governor in 2010, Haley lived in the suburban Columbia county and represented the area in the state House.

As to whether he thought the comment could be seen as touching on her race and parents’ immigrant status, Harpootlian responded: “No, she was born in Bamberg [South Carolina] and lived in Lexington. Anybody implying anything different is attempting to feign insult.”

I see. So you’re not taking the comment back because you were referring to the Governor hailing from… Lexington County?

I’ll confess that I don’t know exactly where Lexington County, South Carolina is, or Columbia County either. But then, I have never lived anywhere near the Palmetto State. I’m not sure that Mr. Harpootian can use the same excuse. If he’s supposed to be representing his party across the entire state, are we to assume that the Chairman isn’t familiar with this part of the state either? Or that he didn’t know that his own Governor comes from there?

I realize that Harpootian has found himself in a bit of hot water, and people in such positions tend to scramble to find a way out. But as “explanations” go, this has to be one of the weakest we’ve seen in a while. But on the plus side, the next time somebody makes a comment about where President Obama “is from” we can all just turn around and say, “he was talking about Hawaii, dummy.”

Comments

…war on womenz!

KOOLAID2 on May 5, 2013 at 3:33 PM

The REAL war on women. Perpetrated by a democrat.
The difference is, our women can take it and keep on fighting,

AllahsNippleHair on May 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM

…a testicle convention?

KOOLAID2 on May 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Dammit Kool Aid.
My post was longer!

AllahsNippleHair on May 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Weak sauce, Dick.

Jackalope on May 5, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Keep talking. Please.

22044 on May 5, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I hope Fox News has dropped him.
Harpoon is four points past stupid.

AllahsNippleHair on May 5, 2013 at 3:36 PM

…Republicans are not granted hyphenated American staus?…who would have thought?

KOOLAID2 on May 5, 2013 at 3:37 PM

they must think Americans are fools ….oh wait…

CW on May 5, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Ask the Armenian Democrat if he’s like to go back to ‘wherever he’s from’.

My guess is, like most of the Armenians I’ve known, his parents or grandparents got the hell out of Dodge one step ahead of the Turks.

JEM on May 5, 2013 at 3:44 PM

You go girl!

losarkos on May 5, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Harpootlian…s/b Lilliputian

Leftists are always jackazzes.

Schadenfreude on May 5, 2013 at 3:44 PM

AllahsNippleHair on May 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM

…sorry!
…I’ll let you Bishop the next one…there’s prolley a contract out on me now anyway…

KOOLAID2 on May 5, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Obama’ supporters want the nation to believe that at one and the same time, he is the smartest President ever and the Three Monkeys of Oblivion.

VorDaj on April 30, 2013 at 5:07 PM

SC version – Lilliputian wants you to believe at one and the same time, he is the cleverest innocent ever, and the TWO Monkeys of Oblivion.

h/t VorDaj

Schadenfreude on May 5, 2013 at 3:46 PM

The problem with this excuse is that Lexington County is a specific location that does not lend istself to the “wherever the hell she came from” rhetoric. If he meant she should take the long trek from Columbia to suburban Columbia then he should have said so.

Happy Nomad on May 5, 2013 at 3:48 PM

AllahsNippleHair on May 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM

…sorry!

KOOLAID2 on May 5, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I might have been away awhile, but my worst nightmares include Bishop.

AllahsNippleHair on May 5, 2013 at 3:48 PM

It used to be that Harpootlian’s comment would indeed be an innocent remark to vote somebody out of office. However, the lefties have politicized the language so much so that any insult of a non-white is a bigotted slur. It’s not even a question of being even handed. In today’s English, Harpootlian made an explicitly racist comment. There is no room for interpretation.

And he has a name only Charles Dickens could love.

Fenris on May 5, 2013 at 3:49 PM

“I don’t want to buy the black vote, I just want to rent it for a day”
– Dick Harpootlian.

Dick Harpootlian is a racist, and the fact that he’s been the long time head of the SC Democratic Party means the DNC has no problem with racists in leadership positions of their party.

rbj on May 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I actually am thinking he didn’t mean this as a racial comment, but as a reference to her coming out of obscurity.

That being said, no way in hell that a Republican saying this about a minority woman would not be on the front page of the newspapers and a top story on TV. There would be no benefit of the doubt given and guilt of racism and sexism would automatically be assumed.

MikeknaJ on May 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM

And he has a name only Charles Dickens could love.

Fenris on May 5, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Oh I don’t know about that. Dick seems to fit Harpootlian pretty well.

Happy Nomad on May 5, 2013 at 3:54 PM

to Joe Biden that would be the nearest 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts.

stormin1961 on May 5, 2013 at 3:56 PM

send GOP Governor Nikki Haley, “back to wherever the hell she came from.”

So they want to send her back to South Carolina? Isn’t she already IN South Carolina?

No, Harpootlian, that dog excuse won’t hunt!

Sounds like your racism is showing there pal!

GarandFan on May 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM

So…

‘[W]herever the hell she came from’ = Bamberg and Lexington Country, South Carolina???

Yeah, right.

‘I don’t want to buy the Black vote, I just want to rent it for one day.’

- D1ck Harpootlian, South Carolina Democratic Chairman, 2011

But, D1ck’s not a racist…everyone else is.

Resist We Much on May 5, 2013 at 3:58 PM

AllahsNippleHair on May 5, 2013 at 3:48 PM

My…aren’t you chatty today. You know, they have an open mic night at most amateur comedy clubs.

thatsafactjack on May 5, 2013 at 4:04 PM

At least this Dick guy has balls unlike the RINO pussies currently infecting the GOP.

bgibbs1000 on May 5, 2013 at 4:06 PM

D1ck Harpootlian reminds me of the Wicked Witch of the Press:

Tell em to get the hell out of Palestine. They should go home! Go back home to Poland, Germany, and America and everywhere else.

- Helen Thomas, on the day that the White House hosted a Jewish Heritage Celebration, no less

Resist We Much on May 5, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Isn’t she already IN South Carolina?

What he does like is that she’s IN charge and she’s a she and doesn’t look like him.

Sounds like your racism is showing there pal!

GarandFan on May 5, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Yep. She got a lot of similar crap during her run too, as I recall.

Fenris on May 5, 2013 at 4:07 PM

So…

Yeah, right.

Resist We Much on May 5, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Well, yeah. And if he were to say that Tim Scott should go back to wherever the hell he came from wouldn’t we all know that he meant Charleston?

It marvels me how Democrats get away with this crap and a good and decent man like George Allen get derailed by fake racism.

Happy Nomad on May 5, 2013 at 4:13 PM

AllahsNippleHair on May 5, 2013 at 3:48 PM

thatsafactjack on May 5, 2013 at 4:04 PM

It’s not every other post, welcoming everyone, talking about rum, pirates, and the glade, wtf is that? You live on fantasy island. Just made an observation based on a few QOTD. But, I’m not part of the clique, so, don’t mind me.

You really should look into that greeter position at Walmart.

AllahsNippleHair on May 5, 2013 at 4:16 PM

AllahsNippleHair on May 5, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I’m not surprised you don’t understand it. By the way, you just insulted everyone who participates.

You whined copiously about not getting enough attention and being the center of attention. You’re still doing it. Grow up.

thatsafactjack on May 5, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Harpootian? Armenia beckons.

Mason on May 5, 2013 at 4:23 PM

AllahsNippleHair on May 5, 2013 at 4:16 PM

thatsafactjack on May 5, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Plays along, you mean. I used to love QOTD and now, it’s weird. I didn’t see everyone else being the greeter, they would post about other things.
I don’t need attention, besides, it seems you’re like the attention black hole of the group.
I don’t need to grow up. I don’t live in fantasy world.
I just made an observation. Did I step on your tail?

AllahsNippleHair on May 5, 2013 at 4:25 PM

The dems keep importing dem special voters but can’t handle one who is a fiscal conservative.
Lmfao.

losarkos on May 5, 2013 at 4:26 PM

“I don’t want to buy the black vote, I just want to rent it for a day”
– Dick Harpootlian.

rbj on May 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM

At last year’s national Democratic convention, Harpootlian had compared Haley to Adolf Hitler’s mistress, saying the governor “was down in the bunker a la Eva Braun.” He never apologized for that remark either.

I’m seeing a pattern here.

lynncgb on May 5, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Is Dick Harpootlian a horse’s ass? Of course.

Beyond his original crassness, is this a story? No.

I agree that this is a reference to her obscure political history. It is well-known that Nikki was born in Bamberg and represented Lexington County. But Lexington County is represented in the Senate by Jake Knott, an entrenched Republican power-broker, so the traditional stop in the Senate as a resume-enhancer and connection-builder was denied her. She was not going to beat Knott in a head-to-head race, so she had to skip the intermediate step and leap straight from the State House to the Governorship. She made it, but Harpootlian thinks her lack of networking on the way up makes her beatable.

Most people just think the ass should shut up and retire, but he’s been about as effective an ass for the state’s #2 party as you would expect. Being the Dem Party Leader in SC is about like being Mgr of the Cubs–why waste a better man in such a bleak position?

Lexington is considered a suburb of Columbia, and Lexington County (pronounced LEK-in-dun) is one of the strongest red voting blocs anywhere.

BTW, there is no Columbia County in SC. In 29 of the state’s 46 counties, the town or city that is the County Seat has the same name as the County it represents–e.g., Greenville County and city, Charleston County and city, Sumter, Aiken, Bamberg County and cities, etc.–but while Columbia is the largest city and capital of the state it is part of Richland County.

rwenger43 on May 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM

AllahsNippleHair on May 5, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I made an attempt to treat you like an adult on the other thread today, answering a question you asked about something that originated with me and Bmore. You responded by being trite and rude. But that’s you all over, isn’t it?

The next time you feel like whining because you’re not part of the ‘clique’ look in the mirror.

The next time you feel inclined to walk up to me and be rude, just keep walking. As much fun as it is to slap you around, you’re just boring the life out of me.

thatsafactjack on May 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM

The difference between me and leftist is I like thoughts and actions without regard to ethnicity.

losarkos on May 5, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Harpoolian is an embarrassment to the state but a prime example of a Democratic Party hero who personally assaults women & people of a different race. His comments demonstrate for all which party is really at war with women. Where are the womens’ rights groups in her defense? Why do they attack the GOP due to made-up charges, claiming they are so independent, yet they roll over so subserviently when a Democratic pig like Harpoolian attacks one of their ranks…

easyt65 on May 5, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Did Biden follow up to “give her a garden variety slap back there?”

Odie1941 on May 5, 2013 at 4:29 PM

‘I don’t want to buy the Black vote, I just want to rent it for one day.’

- D1ck Harpootlian, South Carolina Democratic Chairman, 2011

But, D1ck’s not a racist…everyone else is.

Resist We Much on May 5, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Well he doesn’t want to own slaves. Just rent them when he needs some.

SparkPlug on May 5, 2013 at 4:31 PM

AllahsNippleHair on May 5, 2013 at 4:25 PM

thatsafactjack on May 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I DID step on your tail.
Honey, you couldn’t even reach me if you tried.

AllahsNippleHair on May 5, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Can I say that Dick Harpootlian makes me sikh?

James on May 5, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Hey go back to..here!!
yeah…

bazil9 on May 5, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Dick Harpootlian needs his stupid mouth punched.

TX-96 on May 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I’m seeing a pattern here.

lynncgb on May 5, 2013 at 4:26 PM

You can’t expect too much from an ambulance chasing grad of Clemson and University of SC law. The guy screams racist good old boy. He clearly can’t handle that a woman Republican is governor. He probably loathes the fact she put a black man in the United States Senate. In short, there is no pattern here just Dick being himself- a Dick.

Happy Nomad on May 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Constantly harping on ethnicity keeps the race mongers on the Left in business.

Also, to the Left, the conservative women on the Right set a bad example for all women and so must be attacked incessantly lest more women actually realize supporting the policies of the Left do them more harm than good.

hawkeye54 on May 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Google “macaca” and see what a big deal that became. I wonder if this will become as widely reported?

Howcome on May 5, 2013 at 4:37 PM

AllahsNippleHair on May 5, 2013 at 4:33 PM

HAL.. is that you… or just your soulmate?

thatsafactjack on May 5, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Hey! Who pooted? My noxious gas gauge redlined!

ExpressoBold on May 5, 2013 at 4:59 PM

RAAAAAACIST!

Philly on May 5, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Democrats’ continued racism on display.

RJL on May 5, 2013 at 5:18 PM

On the face of it, a nothingburger. However, had a GOPe said “send Clyburn back to wherever. ..” the press would have launched into full victimization mode. So go ahead and give patootiehead the Alinsky. It’s what we’ve devolved to.

AH_C on May 5, 2013 at 5:24 PM

OT, but …

If you missed Fri, Fox News Reporting: See No Evil – The Kermit Gosnell Case w/BretBaier,
it re-airs Sun 9p 12a.

Saw it, and they sure don’t mince words.
Never knew of the Mother’s Day Massacre.

pambi on May 5, 2013 at 5:28 PM

With a name like harpooonian…we ought to do some digging on where he is from and send him packin….flippin libs

crosshugger on May 5, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I thought she was one of those Shelbyville people.

forest on May 5, 2013 at 5:35 PM

That makes sense. Oh wait. It doesn’t. South Carolina is hell?

pat on May 5, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Columbia, SC is the state capital*. It lies within Richland County. Lexington County is west of Columbia across the Saluda and Congaree Rivers. It’s an effective counter-weight in state elections to the likes of Harpootlian who reside in Richland County. In fact, Richland County can give Cuyahoga County (Ohio) and Cooke County (Illinois) a run for their money as far as corrupt democrat machinery goes.

*It’s a beautiful place. Y’all come on down and see where Sherman shelled our statehouse as he thrashed and burned our state. The marks are still there!

SouthernGent on May 5, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Presidential material. Bring it.

Greek Fire on May 5, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Which one looks more like a tree trunk?

Plot; A wrongfully accused South Seas prince is executed, and returns as a walking tree stump.

On a bad day our First Lady might go along with this. God bless her heart.

IlikedAUH2O on May 5, 2013 at 6:28 PM

FROM HELL IT CAME

Actually the evil spirit came from..well, around Hawaii:

Tabonga, a killer spirit reincarnated as a scowling tree stumps (sic), comes back to life and kills a bunch of natives of a South Seas island. A pair of American scientists save the day.

Life imitates art.

IlikedAUH2O on May 5, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Hawaii would be fine.

SarahW on May 5, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Harpootlian sounds like he is of Armenian heritage, maybe he should go back to eastern Turkey or western Iran.

deimos on May 5, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Harpootlian is the lowest of the low. He exists so career criminals and perverts have someone to look down on. There is no depth to which he will not go. He’s always been this way, and he has been a Democratic party favorite, returning for another stint as Chairman.

This goes to show you what a bunch of corrupt, lowlife scum SC Democrats are.

Unfortunately, there is a strong and powerful contingent of SC Republicans who are every bit as corrupt – they tend to be somewhat more polite about it, but don’t get in the way of their thievery. Knott, Harrell, & Company are the ringleaders. People like Sanford, Haley, and Scott made their careers fighting these crooks, including the GOP ones. DeMint stayed more or less away from the rival factions.

But of all the vile, venomous, and loathsome creatures that crawl upon the earth, none is so utterly evil and repulsive as Dick Harpootlian.

Adjoran on May 5, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Totally unrelated: Decades ago, I had to take a flight from Washington DC back to Detroit, Michigan. Flight arrived late, and many ran to make phone calls (pre cell phone).

Woman next to me in designer duds, heels, jewelry overload, and power makeup was bitchin over the phone:

“yes, my flight is delayed. The Secretary General is already there. ….blah blah took over half the Hotel …..It’s in Ann Arbor – WHERE EVER THE HELL THAT IS”

She hoisted up her snooty rear and ran for her bags while I grabbed a cab for myself. She shoved me aside and took the cab. Bet she stiffed the driver on a tip, too

Yeah, the UN big bonzo was gracing the leftist capital of Michigan with his entourage.

Some reason, this thread gave me a PTSD flashback

entagor on May 5, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I asked in another thread the other day, and I’ll say it again.

“What the hell is a Harpootlian anyway?”

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on May 5, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Not really. You know the rules are different for them and us.

bofh on May 5, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I asked in another thread the other day, and I’ll say it again.

“What the hell is a Harpootlian anyway?”

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on May 5, 2013 at 7:52 PM

A later stage of evolution that came after Reptilian.

slickwillie2001 on May 5, 2013 at 8:38 PM

We know what he meant.

Knott Buyinit on May 5, 2013 at 9:55 PM

We know what he meant.

Knott Buyinit on May 5, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Like I tell people who try to walk it back when they’ve royally stepped in it:

“I heard what you said. I was there when you said it.”

CurtZHP on May 5, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Huh. Leftist ‘Birthers’?

How soon will the MSM blaster them?

Yeah, I know, I won’t hold my breath.

socalcon on May 5, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Without an all in the tank media the democrat party would be little more than 20% of the vote.

jukin3 on May 6, 2013 at 12:10 AM

A later stage of evolution that came after Reptilian.

slickwillie2001 on May 5, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I’d say “earlier stage” and “before”.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on May 6, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Maybe he should have clarified “dot or feather”.

acyl72 on May 6, 2013 at 7:22 AM

We all know what his reference was and that pathetic explanation won’t get very far. He just nailed a twofer. He bagged the war on women and the racist comment all in the same rant. He’s good.

Kissmygrits on May 6, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Then there is the article this weekend where Bill Richardson says Cruz is introducing incivility into the political process; the dems certainly know what incivility is and they use it daily all the way to the WH.

Pardonme on May 6, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Gawd almighty..can you imagine the 24/7 coverage from the complicit and corrupt mainstream media is this was a Republican saying something like this?

norm1111 on May 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I give him a bit of a break. After all, he called Lindsay Graham light in the loafers. I still laugh at that one.

jclittlep on May 6, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Harpootlian?

Sounds like a “furriner” name. Are we sure he’s a real American?

What a jerk!!!

patch on May 6, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Well that makes sense… get her out of South Carolina Politics and send her back the hell to … South Carolina.

At least it’ll be a short travel time from South Carolina to South Carolina.

Am I really supposed to pretend this makes sense? This is the best defense he could come up with?

gekkobear on May 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Why would Harpootlian say he wanted send her “back to wherever the hell she came from,” if he knows exactly wherever the hell she came from?

pt on May 6, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I would like to see Senator Nikki instead of Lindsay Graham.

Fleuries on May 6, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Jeff Flake hints: I’ll support expanded background checks in return for changes on Internet sales

This is what I hate…

These two have nothing to do with each other…can’t these “guys” just vote for what they think is right?

They spend more time politicking, than leading…just f’in vote for what you think is right.

We are in this mess because everyone is so politically “clever”.

right2bright on May 7, 2013 at 6:39 PM