Quotes of the Day

posted at 8:21 pm on May 3, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

Within minutes of the National Rifle Association’s opening forum at their annual meeting this weekend, the group’s leaders went after gun control proposals and advocates who sought to expand tougher firearm laws following the deadly Newtown elementary school massacre. …

“While we pray for God to comfort those suffering unimaginable pain, they rush to microphones and cameras, gather in war rooms on Capitol Hill and scheme about how to use that suffering to push their political agenda,” he continued. “That’s who they are and what they believe, but not us.”

***

The crux of Jindal’s remarks, however, focused on the Second Amendment, which he accused Obama of attacking from his “very first days in office.” “It’s one of the primary reasons I opposed his reelection,” Jindal explained to the audience of over five thousand. He pointed in particular to the president’s nomination of Supreme Court justice Sonia Sotomayor, who does not believe the constitutional right to “keep and bear arms” applies to individuals. “That’s pretty close to the top [of the Bill of Rights], so I wonder when she stopped reading,” Jindal quipped.

He urged the crowd to remain engaged in the fight for liberty that he said falls to each generation. “All of our rights are dependent on a people willing to fight for that freedom,” he said. “I am ready to stand and fight for that freedom.” And he concluded: “May God bless America, and may God bless the NRA.”

***

“If he believes the answer to violent crime is not prosecuting felons and fugitives, not prosecuting gun crimes but going after the constitutional rights of law abiding citizens, I would like to invite the vice president to engage in an hour-long conversation and debate,” Cruz, R-Texas, a Tea Party favorite, told an enthusiastic audience at the National Rifle Association’s Leadership Forum in Houston. “How do we stop crime?” …

Cruz mocked the vice president for advice that he gave at an online town hall that someone faced with an intruder should go outside and “fire two blasts” with a double-barrel shotgun.

Cruz said that advice ” is very useful if it so happens you’re being attacked by a flock of geese.”

***

Please, don’t encourage them. The NRA’s critics already consider the organization directly responsible for every shooting death recorded in the United States. That tidbit aside, were people really yelling, “You are our leader”? It’s certainly possible, and Sen. Ted Cruz’ interest in a 2016 run for president has been called “undeniable.” If Cruz does run, expect a lot of headlines that resemble that tweet.

***

Santorum, a former senator from Pennyslvania, told NRA members that the Bill of Rights and the Second Amendment “come from God.”

Santorum said by helping to defeat the Senate bill, the NRA “stood up when freedom was under assault. You stood in the gap. You made a difference.”

(via Twitchy)

***

“Now I see that the mayor of New York now wants to ban public displays of legal tobacco products,” she said, referring to his recent push to keep tobacco products out of sight at stores in order to de-glamorize the product.

“I tell ya,” she said, as she pulling out a pack of chewing tobacco. “Don’t make me do it.”

With the crowd roaring, she put the pack back in her pocket.

It’s funny because Todd’s been looking for this all morning.”

***

Note: Allahpundit has the day off.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 7 8 9

As I looked at the gilt titles… I had the distinct sensation of book corpses… lined up in some macabre display. I asked him what he did with the rest of the books… and he looked at me as if I was mad… and said, as he quaffed his scotch… ‘Well…we burned them.’ and he smirked at me as he turned to point out his collection of lithographs.

thatsafactjack on May 4, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Ug.

Axe on May 4, 2013 at 2:38 AM

What genre? If you don’t mind me asking.

Axe on May 4, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Just fiction.

The first was a revenge story I developed from an older short story. A father goes after the three guys who kidnapped and killed his daughter, after a vindictive senile judge lets the killers off the hook. Dad used an AR15, BTW.

The second was a military ‘thriller’ about a Vietnam POW who escaped 25 years after the war ended, and the US government didn’t want him known about.

The third was a detective story, involving murders and some odd religious cults. It was also something of a comedy, because I made the lead detective so bizarre no police chief in his right mind would want him on staff. But he was a damned good cop, so they were stuck with him.

Liam on May 4, 2013 at 2:38 AM

thatsafactjack on May 4, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Yes..I love it..To me it really signals the beginning of Spring..:)

Dire Straits on May 4, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Liam on May 4, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Not to pry, but have you checked out self publishing? The digital age has unleashed the talent from the houses and agents. Many are making decent money and getting their work out there these days though self publication, marketing both in hard copy and download, and the major houses are picking up writers and their work who’ve made some inroads in getting established on their own.

thatsafactjack on May 4, 2013 at 2:39 AM

I like books.

SparkPlug on May 4, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Dire Straits on May 4, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Spring Lyrics
Cher

In a broken down apartment house
Laid a woman in labor
She said by the grace of God
I’ll have this child
And the help of a neighbor
Six o’clock the sun was rising
All upon the world

SparkPlug on May 4, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Dire Straits on May 4, 2013 at 2:39 AM

thatsafactjack on May 4, 2013 at 2:41 AM

I like books.

SparkPlug on May 4, 2013 at 2:39 AM

YOU LIE

Axe on May 4, 2013 at 2:41 AM

thatsafactjack on May 4, 2013 at 2:39 AM

I’m far too introverted to be a good salesman. :-)

Liam on May 4, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Gravity – Mayer

thatsafactjack on May 4, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Liam on May 4, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Thanks. :) Sounds interesting. Not a single werewolf in love with a single witch/fairy/vampire in the lot.

Axe on May 4, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Liam on May 4, 2013 at 2:43 AM

The beauty of your own website and a print on demand company, like LULU, is that you can set up a page to sell your work, get it on Amazon and other retailers, and set up promotion packages, all without having to be a ‘salesman’ or personally do readings or promote your work. It’s worth looking into. Its a rising market and doing very well. :)

thatsafactjack on May 4, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Some people pretend to like books so they can impress brainy babes. Hehe. But I really like books.

SparkPlug on May 4, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Axe on May 4, 2013 at 2:44 AM

The research was 90% of the work. I actually had to learn about fingerprinting, forensics, SEAL training, and a whole lot of other things. And all that was before the Internet became a big thing. I had dial-up at the time for the Net.

Liam on May 4, 2013 at 2:49 AM

I’d like to thank you for keeping me company. :)

I bid you all a fond goodnight. Its been a pleasure, as always. See you soon.

“Keep yourselves where the light is.”

thatsafactjack on May 4, 2013 at 2:49 AM

the progressive left has just had a big wig meeting to get their money machine rolling…50M this year from the high end crowd

Guns and Immigration at the top of the list.

The hottest topic of the conference was immigration reform, as leaders of the Service Employees International Union and other advocates emphasized that comprehensive legislation could pass this year.

“The partners were really impressed with how close we are on this, and yet how tenuous it is, even at this stage,” McKay said. “We’ve got to get this done.”

so the left/progs higher ups are exited about the immigration bill. Good work Joh

r keller on May 4, 2013 at 2:51 AM

I’m going to bail. I’m going to go prove my masculinity

. . . by working on this poem to this girl. Besides, I had an adrenaline spike late in the night that’s sort of wiped me out. :)

Night Jackie. :)

Night everyone. :)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Liam on May 4, 2013 at 2:43 AM

thatsafactjack on May 4, 2013 at 2:46 AM

LULU is easy to work with. YMMV. All I’m saying.

Axe on May 4, 2013 at 2:51 AM

SparkPlug on May 4, 2013 at 2:40 AM

The Moon Goddess will not allow Cher songs..:)

Dire Straits on May 4, 2013 at 2:52 AM

Liam on May 4, 2013 at 2:49 AM

So cool. I’ve had to do research, but never that kind. Never worked in that genre before for anything.

Write for fun any? Since?

Axe on May 4, 2013 at 2:53 AM

thatsafactjack on May 4, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Thank you! I might look into that.

My best work is a series of short stories about a succubus that was never meant to be a series. I wrote the first tale on a lark, then found I had to develop her as a character. I went so far as to give her a history, and spent many hours in a library (a big big place with lots of things called books, for you liberals who might be reading this) researching Welsh history and culture. I even tried learning a little Welsh language to make the character more authentic.

Liam on May 4, 2013 at 2:54 AM

– Sorry. Didn’t even think about all the questions. It’s just interesting. :)

Axe on May 4, 2013 at 2:55 AM

Write for fun any? Since?

Axe on May 4, 2013 at 2:53 AM

I write for my own entertainment nowadays.

I did three stories along the lines of Star Trek, creating my own character. The tales are told in a series of logs and news articles. I created my own letterheads for the logs, and the ‘photos’ used in the news stories.

Just odd things I do when I’m bored.

Liam on May 4, 2013 at 2:57 AM

HotLips,

I know what it;s like to be made fun of. To be the outsider. I’ll be your friend.

BoxHead1 on May 4, 2013 at 2:33 AM

…we like you and cannot let you punish yourself and let you do that!…when we see potential self-abuse on this blog…we will protect you!

KOOLAID2 on May 4, 2013 at 3:00 AM

also, i’d like to say a little about the gosnell thing on fnc.

my hunch is that because fnc did it they won’t…rather spike it.

However, there is a golden opportunity here. Tom Ridge was involved so they can attack Rs…that’s a plus. The negative is the barry has put a blocking shot in with his delirious groupies at planned parenthood.

that could be code for Don’t Go There.

but there’s an obvious left wing response. A women has a right to a dead baby. A woman also has a right to decent medical care.

the problem is that many ob/gyn don’t want to do this proceedure…so presto…Doc can’t let their conscience over ride the woman right to care. I.d. require all board licensed ob/gyns to perform abortions on demand…they’ll trade that for inspections.

so that’s my conclustion on where this is going. If gosnell inconcent, then force better docs to do it. If gosnell is found quilty…ssame thing….bad docs can’t practice…every trail lawyer knows that

r keller on May 4, 2013 at 3:02 AM

Just odd things I do when I’m bored.

Liam on May 4, 2013 at 2:57 AM

O! That’s also so cool! You need to keep at that. Says a complete stranger who has no idea what’s really going on.

Alright, really bailing now. :)

No one be interesting.

Axe on May 4, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Axe on May 4, 2013 at 3:03 AM

Thanks!

I got the idea for the stories by playing a Trek computer game I have.

Inspiration, if you can call it that, comes from the oddest places.

Have a great night and peaceful rest!

Liam on May 4, 2013 at 3:07 AM

KOOLAID2 on May 4, 2013 at 3:00 AM

hey, thanks!

BoxHead1 on May 4, 2013 at 3:11 AM

Dire Straits on May 4, 2013 at 2:52 AM

Lolz. I guess we have a CherCott going on now. (:

SparkPlug on May 4, 2013 at 3:15 AM

Sarah Palin: “What can we do to nurture and support a people capable of living in freedom?”

The Governor gave a superb speech at the NRA – ILA Leadership Forum. She used her speech to not only rally the NRA membership to continue the fight for freedom, but to directly challenge the efforts of President Obama, the Hollywood and media elites, as well as the Washington political class to destroy our freedom.

Governor Sarah Palin Addresses NRA-ILA Leadership Forum

[The mediate link that Ed posted does not include the whole speech.]

Take the time to listen to her speech. You will find yourself inspired and invigorated to keep fighting for freedom.

john.frank on May 4, 2013 at 3:17 AM

I’ve been workin’ on other things here, and checking up on y’all occasionally … but now, off to bed.

G’Nite all.

listens2glenn on May 4, 2013 at 3:24 AM

john.frank on May 4, 2013 at 3:17 AM

…thanks for the link…didn’t get a chance to listen today.

KOOLAID2 on May 4, 2013 at 3:35 AM

The winning motto?

“Go for a Cruz in 2016!”

Don L on May 4, 2013 at 5:03 AM

What caliber was that M4 type Perry was shooting?

I must be old. I like some parts of the M4, but the AR’s still look better to these eyes.

The whole QOTD stuff was pretty brutal. Except for Santorum.

cozmo on May 3, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Looks like .308 to me.

justltl on May 4, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Self publishing?…..try the WATTPAD app.

It’s going to do for book publishing what SoundCloud has the potential to do for music……increase the supply, and lower the costs.

PappyD61 on May 4, 2013 at 7:52 AM

You know if we could get both Cruz and Palin into the whitehouse we would have 16 years of conservative leadership.

unseen on May 4, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Looks like .308 to me.

justltl on May 4, 2013 at 7:29 AM

Yes, in that awesome video Perry was shooting out at LaRue Tactical. They make models in both .223 and .308, that one in the video has to be their .308.
I have their catalog and I’ve been drooling over their OBR and PredatAR guns, but I don’t even want to know what their back order time is on one of those.

juliesa on May 4, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Cruz is awesome.

petefrt on May 4, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Please, don’t encourage them. The NRA’s critics already consider the organization directly responsible for every shooting death recorded in the United States. That tidbit aside, were people really yelling, “You are our leader”? It’s certainly possible, and Sen. Ted Cruz’ interest in a 2016 run for president has been called “undeniable.” If Cruz does run, expect a lot of headlines that resemble that tweet.

PATHETIC, ED.

It doesn’t matter what people say; “they” will twist it, pervert it, and demagogue it until it no longer even matters. So, why censor people? If Cruz can make the arguments that resonate with people–and he can and he has done so–then stop with your WORRY WARTING, and just be glad we’ve got an elected official in this country who ISN’T AFRAID TO STAND UP FOR THE CONSTITUTION.

That is why those audience members shouted “you are our leader.” Because they are sick and tired of people like you and Karl Rove pontificating that we should all just sit down and shut up and maybe we’ll not OFFEND ANYONE with our opinions.

That’s–to quote a fat Democrat named Chris Christie–

“BULLSHIT.”

mountainaires on May 4, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Guns and Immigration at the top of the list.

Wonder how much the soro’s and the wall street types make on guns and weapon mfg’s. Probably Billions.

The mindless sheep libs are too stupid to realize they are just manipulated puppets that support the lavish lifestyle and benefits the ruling elite enjoy off of their backs.

of course, most of these libs have sold their souls to get some handouts and benefits. Screw their kids… at least the ones they’ve not aborted. They won’t mind trillions in debt and millions of pages or regulations.

acyl72 on May 4, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Most of the posters here do not debate. All they do is attack anyone who posts things contrary to their ideology. Ever wonder why every liberal is constantly attacked on this blog?

HotAirLib on May 4, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Why do you come on this blog if you feel you are attacked?

gophergirl on May 4, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Why does it come here?

… you are constantly trying to reason with the ultra fringe crazies on this blog… do not waste your time trying to engage these fools… most are fringe crazies… one or two of them …haven’t ventured into insane land.

HotAirLib on April 20, 2013 at 5:15 PM

You don’t change minds hauling personal insults with those you disagree with.

HotAirLib on April 20, 2013 at 6:44 PM

lololol if you think my goal here is to change minds.

HotAirLib on April 20, 2013 at 6:58 PM

The troll comes here to troll, and for the attention.

It routinely hurls broad brushed insults, taunts, and mockery and then complains when it is insulted.

It does this over and over again and then disingenuously wonders out loud why it gets in kind replies over and over again. As if everyone is supposed to treat it differently every time it shows up doing the same thing once again.

Troll is seriously sick in the head.

farsighted on May 4, 2013 at 10:47 AM

farsighted on May 4, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Darn! I was going to log in to point out how proud I am of my guy, Governor Rick Perry and then saw this last post and decided to give an answer I found long ago on the net:

What Is A Troll?

The term derives from “trolling”, a style of fishing which involves trailing bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The troll posts a message, often in response to an honest question, that is intended to upset, disrupt or simply insult the group.

Usually, it will fail, as the troll rarely bothers to match the tone or style of the group, and usually its ignorance shows.

Why do trolls do it?

I believe that most trolls are sad people, living their lonely lives vicariously through those they see as strong and successful.

Disrupting a stable newsgroup gives the illusion of power, just as for a few, stalking a strong person allows them to think they are strong, too.

For trolls, any response is ‘recognition’; they are unable to distinguish between irritation and admiration; their ego grows directly in proportion to the response, regardless of the form or content of that response.

Trolls, rather surprisingly, dispute this, claiming that it’s a game or joke; this merely confirms the diagnosis; how sad do you have to be to find such mind-numbingly trivial timewasting to be funny?

Remember that trolls are cowards; they’ll usually post just enough to get an argument going, then sit back and count the responses (Yes, that’s what they do!).

Troll – Angler or Underbridge Dweller?

How can troll posts be recognised?….

avagreen on May 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM

mountainaires on May 4, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Agreed. I was somewhat disappointed to see this belated response on HotAir to the NRA convention in Houston. At a loss for words, really.

So, all we need to do is be “moderate” and blend in….to keep the spotlight off our views? I think that’s what has gotten us in trouble so far. Nothing to get our teeth into and/or fight for.

avagreen on May 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM

LOL…I imagine the house will be lost in 2014. What a freak show.

rubberneck on May 4, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Has anyone posted Judge Jeannine Pirro’s NRA speech?

onlineanalyst on May 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM

KirknBurker on May 4, 2013 at 2:34 AM

“Put him on the terror list” — Nappi

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Thank you. I have great friends… and I’m grateful for you, one and all. :)

thatsafactjack on May 4, 2013 at 1:52 AM

With same gratitude…and I love to listen to Cohen :)

Schadenfreude on May 4, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Troll is seriously sick in the head.

farsighted on May 4, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Our poor trolls have been just completely eviscerated. What a sight.

CW on May 4, 2013 at 2:07 PM

onlineanalyst on May 4, 2013 at 1:06 PM

We were listening live in the Gulch yesterday. LOVED her speech.

Fallon on May 4, 2013 at 2:11 PM

juliesa on May 4, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Those are some beautiful weapons.
I’ve had my eye on a Springfield M1A (old school) and an FN SCAR 17 (new school/sex appeal) for quite some time.
Seems like people have caught on to the utility of the .308 as a great all purpose weapon- whose only disadvatage, as I see it, is the need to schlepp around more weight in ammo than an equivalent number of rounds of .556.

justltl on May 4, 2013 at 7:39 PM

5.56

justltl on May 4, 2013 at 7:40 PM

disadvantage

Dementia sucks.

justltl on May 4, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Say “Registration”,
And they call you paranoid.
So say “Privacy”.

If you say you object to Manchin/Toomey because it leaves the door open to a national registry, the know-nothings will just call you paranoid and say that nobody in the government intends to register all firearms, so you are just being paranoid. But if you say you object to Manchin/Toomey because it has inadequate safeguards for the privacy of gun owners, you are saying the same thing without all of the “black helicopter” overtones.

Even people who don’t own guns understand the need for privacy.

Haiku Guy on May 4, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Love Sarah Palin, politician or not.

But I love her as my President Palin!

Palin, the only real Conservative with the balls!

TheAlamos on May 5, 2013 at 12:39 AM