April jobs report: 165K jobs created, 7.5% unemployment rate; Update: Reuters: “Consistent with a slowdown”

posted at 8:34 am on May 3, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

The April jobs report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics beat expectations, with job growth at 165,000 net, and an unemployment rate of 7.5%.  The BLS also upwardly revised the previous two months — adding 64,000 to February to bring it to 332K jobs added, and 50,000 to March to raise it to 138K:

Total nonfarm payroll employment rose by 165,000 in April, and the unemployment rate was little changed at 7.5 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Employment increased in professional and business services, food services and drinking places, retail trade, and health care.

The unemployment rate, at 7.5 percent, changed little in April but has declined by 0.4 percentage point since January. The number of unemployed persons, at 11.7 million, was also little changed over the month; however,
unemployment has decreased by 673,000 since January. …

The change in total nonfarm payroll employment for February was revised from +268,000 to +332,000, and the change for March was revised from +88,000 to +138,000. With these revisions, employment gains in February and March combined were 114,000 higher than previously reported.

The civilian workforce participation rate remained at a 34-year low of 63.3%. However, the number of people not in the workforce declined slightly in the Household data from March by 31,000. It’s still 632,000 higher than in February. Discouraged workers rose by 32,000 and marginally-attached workers rose by 21,000, both of which are relatively narrow shifts.

The drop in the U-3 or nominal unemployment rate to 7.5% is one tenth of a point from March, but four-tenths from January. The U-6 total unemployed rate actually rose a tenth of a point in April to 13.9%, but that’s also a half-percent lower than January.

The 165K jobs growth figure beat expectations across the board — but let’s not turn that into better news than it is.  At 165K, the US economy generated slightly more jobs than it needs to keep up with population growth (~150K).  The civilian workforce participation rate makes it clear that we’re not putting people back to work — at best, we’re treading water.  The revised February numbers are what we need as an average to make a dent in the massive number of people shut out of the jobs market.  This is about the average we’ve seen for the recovery.

CNBC seems pleased by the results, but points out the workforce woes:

Job creation accelerated in April, with the U.S. economy adding 165,000 new positions and the unemployment rate edging lower, quelling worries of a spring slowdown.

New figures from the Bureau of Labor Statistics indicated that a light March payrolls report may have been an aberration, as higher taxes and reduced spending due to the fiscal stalemate in Washington failed to deter growth.

The unemployment rate edged lower to 7.5 percent, due partly to the jobs gains and to a labor-force participation rate that remains at a 35-year low.

Reuters, however, takes a more pessimistic view:

Still, details of the report remained consistent with a slowdown in economic activity. Construction employment fell for the first time since May, while manufacturing payrolls were flat. The average workweek pulled off a nine-month high, but average hourly earnings rose four cents[.]

Beating expectations is not the same as a good jobs report.  This one is a treading-water report, nothing more, and the revisions to March only move it up from poor to stagnation.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Economic BOOOOOM!

Chris of Rights on May 3, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Again. More sequester, please.

BKeyser on May 3, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Gosh those Obama driven gun sales must be driving the economy again….

Don L on May 3, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Guess participation went down again

Zaggs on May 3, 2013 at 8:37 AM

An the job participation rate is what? Again, you can say it?

jjnco73 on May 3, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Fiona is back!!! She still can’t afford a smart phone I see.

Dingbat63 on May 3, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Trolls incoming to tell us how great this news is, in 3…. 2…. 1….

dogsoldier on May 3, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Guess participation went down again

Zaggs on May 3, 2013 at 8:37 AM

An the job participation rate is what? Again, you can say it?

jjnco73 on May 3, 2013 at 8:37 AM

It’s doing quite well, for 1979!

dogsoldier on May 3, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Guess participation went down again

Zaggs on May 3, 2013 at 8:37 AM

For once it stayed about the same. Unless it’s upwardly revised next month though, this was another merely ok jobs report which we seem to get a lot of under this regime. And we still don’t know BTW what kinds of jobs were added in April. Low wage, part-time, and/or contract gigs aren’t what we need right now.

Doughboy on May 3, 2013 at 8:39 AM

We should start a cliche’ pool.

dogsoldier on May 3, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Gosh those Obama driven gun sales must be driving the economy again….

Don L on May 3, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Weapon sales is up 700% nationally from last year. Glock, Springfield, and S&W have considerable waiting periods averaging 6-9 months.

jjnco73 on May 3, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Finally!!

He cares..
you know..

Electrongod on May 3, 2013 at 8:41 AM

The guy who dried my car off at the car wash this morning is a 37 year old business major with $37,000 in student loans.

I tipped him $3.00

portlandon on May 3, 2013 at 8:41 AM

lol-No shite?
I wonder why.

Pro services…what human resources? Gonna need it with OB care and all the shite thrown at co’s by the DOL,IRS,and HHS.
Healthcare..not surprising.

bazil9 on May 3, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Better than I expected. I thought it would be lower than 150,000 . Still not good enough but I guess we should take it, should we not? Now can we say the sequester was no big deal?

ojfltx on May 3, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Clearly, economic recovery is right around the corner. Things could not be better for you if you’re a McDonald’s employee, or Wal-Mart greeter.

Chris of Rights on May 3, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I don’t care.
Obama is awesome.

Electrongod on May 3, 2013 at 8:45 AM

bazil9 on May 3, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Doesn’t surprise me. The one thing I still see a lot of in this economy is people going out to eat and have drinks. Although that is getting more expensive than normal as virtually every restaurant or fast food joint has jacked up their prices several times over the last few years.

Doughboy on May 3, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I tipped him $3.00

portlandon on May 3, 2013 at 8:41 AM

My lawn care guy is a laid off NASA Aerospace Engineer from Marshall Space Flight Center.

jjnco73 on May 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM

The guy collecting shopping carts from the parking lot at the local albertsons is a 27 year old communications major with $23,000 in student loans.

Thanks Obama!

portlandon on May 3, 2013 at 8:48 AM

As we get closer to O’care kicking in we’ll start getting 2fers,(job sharing), so no one gets health care from employers and everyone gets subsidized care increasing the cost of O’care. What a country this socialist paradise has become!

tim c on May 3, 2013 at 8:49 AM

THESE NUMBERS ARE CRAP!!
Participation rates are still at 1979 levels

Saying that – I want some answers as we eagerly awaiting annoucement of impromptu Obama pressed to brag.

1st Question: Sequester legislation was suppose to kill jobs. What happened? Will you admit you were wrong?
(even though we all know these numbers are crap)

LordMaximus on May 3, 2013 at 8:50 AM

“Ok now that the dang economy is humming, it’s time to get back to Gay Marriage, gun confiscation, amnesty, and more stimulus.”

Take your pick as to who will say it first!

can_con on May 3, 2013 at 8:51 AM

tim c on May 3, 2013 at 8:49 AM

The LA Times JUST ran a story on this… about 2 years late to the party…

2 years ago they were too busy CHEERLEADING for OBAMAcare and not researching the probable ramifications…

Khun Joe on May 3, 2013 at 8:53 AM

food services and drinking places, retail trade, and health care.
hmmm…

I would also wager..

Employers are cutting staff in food services and retail to 29 hrs or less.
yeah they are hiring..to make it whole again.
Thx OB care.
I believe it was Kohls who hired quite a few 1000. After cutting hrs.
To avoid OB care.
Healthcare? I look at job postings..lots of Per-Diem positions.
means no bene’s.

Really cool though..I am sure many worked hard to get employment at Micky D’s and Best Buy. At what… minimum wage? 28 hrs a week?
Perspective.

These “reports” do not tell the true reality out here.
Meanwhile..everything else is up. Crickets*

bazil9 on May 3, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Guess participation went down again

Zaggs on May 3, 2013 at 8:37 AM

No, went up–they are participating in unempl benefits, welfare and disability rolls…

hillsoftx on May 3, 2013 at 8:54 AM

the woman who handed me my egg mcmuffin this morning is a 29 year old with a teaching degree & a masters in education. She has $27,000 in student loans and no teaching experience.

Thanks Obama!

portlandon on May 3, 2013 at 8:54 AM

The new normal.

petefrt on May 3, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Counterpoint to the “good” news – the labor force participation rate was unchanged at 63.3%. I’ll have to wait until the databases are open again to see whether that’s a continuation of the historic erosion of the under-55 workforce or not.

Steve Eggleston on May 3, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Let’s take a ride in Mr. Peabody’s Wayback Machine…

After the economy added 310,000 jobs in May 2004 and the unemployment rate was 5.6%, then-candidate Barack Obama used the Democrat weekly radio address to attack the Bush administration for citing good economic numbers…

“After three dismal years of job-loss, we all welcome encouraging statistics,” Obama acknowledges in the 2004 address. “But for most Americans, the health of our economy is measured in a different and more personal way: If I lose my job, where will I find one that pays as well and offers real benefits? Can I afford health-care coverage on my own, or the cost of sending my children to college? Will I ever be able to save and retire with dignity and security? These are the questions I hear hardworking people asking. For them, the basic rewards of a middle-class life, rewards that we once took for granted, have become an elusive dream.”

It’d be funny if my kids weren’t underemployed and if my husband hadn’t just lost 60% of his business.

Fallon on May 3, 2013 at 8:57 AM

jjnco73 on May 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I gotta call BS on this one. We’ve been told for years that the reason we need amnesty for the illegals is that they do the jobs (like lawncare) that Americans are too lazy to do.

Happy Nomad on May 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Pffft. And you wingnuts dared to question the One’s economic plan. Look, we barely got enough to keep up with population growth….we’re rolling now, baby! /

changer1701 on May 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Doughboy on May 3, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Yep…You seen the prices at even Micky D’s?
Costs about what eating a real burger out did a few years ago.
although..
I go to a local pub here..filled every night. 75 cent drafts from 4-7 weekly.
My BIL was laid off from the Space Center-he is back at school and working at a chain rest, P/T to support them.
Tips are low..specials are what people are ordering and cheap drafts.

People I know will scrape together change and go drinking.

bazil9 on May 3, 2013 at 9:00 AM

In April, the number of persons employed part time for economic reasons increased by 278,000 to 7.9 million

That was posted by someone over Zero Hedge. Not sure if it’s true, but if it is, it’s a disturbing trend that’s likely due almost entirely to Obamacare. We can’t have an economy that’s increasingly filled with part-time workers with no health care coverage.

Doughboy on May 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Happy Nomad on May 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Its true, a true human experience. The guy does a damn good job with treating my lawn for weeds and nematodes.

jjnco73 on May 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM

The 16 – 24 year olds can’t get jobs because the 25-35 year olds are taking them. These kids won’t have any work experience at all.

Thanks Obama!

portlandon on May 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM

It’s been so cold around here, I wonder how Fiona is paying her bills?

Fallon on May 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM

@fallon.

I am about 10 years to late for that.
But I’ll keep it in mind.

Sex,booze,drugs..they will always survive..like the cock roaches.

OMG- an educated non latino is mowing a lawn? I’ll be damned.

bazil9 on May 3, 2013 at 9:04 AM

@fallon.

I am about 10 years to late for that.
But I’ll keep it in mind.

Sex,booze,drugs..they will always survive..like the cock roaches.

OMG- an educated non latino is mowing a lawn? I’ll be damned.

bazil9 on May 3, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Yep…You seen the prices at even Micky D’s?
Costs about what eating a real burger out did a few years ago.

bazil9 on May 3, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Yeah, every fast food joint is more expensive. It may not seem like a big deal at first glance, but when something is 5-10% more than it used to be, that adds up over the course of a year. Especially when it’s not limited to eating out. I noticed the store brand hot dog buns at Wal-Mart which used to be a buck are now $1.18. That’s an 18% hike in price!

Doughboy on May 3, 2013 at 9:05 AM

no idea, why the double post.
HA has been quirky lately. Sorry!

bazil9 on May 3, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Doughboy on May 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Who ya gonna trust, our dear leader or the lame stream media?

I’m sure every American who wants a job is fully employed in a meaningful and rewarding career. Only haters would suggest otherwise. /

Happy Nomad on May 3, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Saw the sickest bumper sticker of my life the other day. White with pink letters: “I (heart) Obama”

There’s a person with real problems.

Cleombrotus on May 3, 2013 at 9:07 AM

All this proves is we need more stimulus, less sequester, and… Oh, I dunno, 4 more terms with Obama at the helm to turn this ship around and get America back on its feet from those terrible Bush years.

Gatsu on May 3, 2013 at 9:10 AM

The CNN newsette ectastic about the economy. unemployement down. Jobs up. Stock market sure to boom today.

skittles and unicorns for the media propagansdists.

renalin on May 3, 2013 at 9:10 AM

we should all be happy for what Obama has given us or allowed us to keep.

portlandon on May 3, 2013 at 9:11 AM

skittles and unicorns for the media propagansdists.

renalin on May 3, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Imagine what MSNBC is doing.

Actually. Don’t.

::Shutter::

Gatsu on May 3, 2013 at 9:13 AM

If this was still “Bush’s America” they’d, (the Obama-media) be calling for an impeachment!

Rovin on May 3, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Doughboy on May 3, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Your so right.

Yes, I do all the shopping..the items I always buy..I noticed
going up..not just up but wtf up.
Cat litter..the one I use was $4.25 for a 30lb bag..3 years ago?
Now its $6.60. A head of iceburg lettuce was $1.29 last year..now $1.99. Small head. I wont get started on meat!
I have no children but do not know how families are doing it!
Not just food..but non-perishables..detergent, toilet paper,soap,shampoo,toothpaste diapers, ect..
Scrounging coupons and sale bins. Large-hearty pots of meals..NOT Moochelle friendly. Yeah..a family can afford $4.00 for a slice of swiss chard and $5.00 for one artichoke.
lol…my store brand hot dog buns went up too.
EVERYTHING went up.
As for Jobs..my friends in the private sector-big corporate-
they were happy to not be laid off..but work 2 times as hard now..no wage increase.
Companies streamlined to skeleton mode. Our small business did too.
Once had 5 customer service gals. We got rid of all but 1 and a PT position to meet overhead.

bazil9 on May 3, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Good morning HotAir.

Well, it has been a disheartening week here in PA.

We had a woman in our County paper disappear in 2002,
(I remember the story like it was yesterday) and suddenly she shows up in Florida looking like she’s been on a 6 year Glue Sniffing bender. She LEFT 2 kids, 8 and 12 behind, and hooked
up with some homeless people who I’m sure were WAY more
exciting than her Life working as a book keeper at a local car dealership. AND CARING FOR HER TWO CHILDREN.

….then yesterday we had it reported a young woman
(still in HS) gave birth to a baby in a bathroom at Lancaster
MaCaskey High School…..right down the road from where I work.

Sorry, for the OT, but I guess this young Lady will be in
need of a JOB soon…..As there are currently NO Headwinds
facing us as a Nation, she should make out well…..Right??

ToddPA on May 3, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Yeah. Zero’s approval rating is in the tank – the lowest in nearly a year – and his labor department decides to “revise upward” the jobs numbers. Total BS. What a corrupt, third world government we have.

Rational Thought on May 3, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Doughboy on May 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Zero Hedge nailed it off of Table A-8 in the release, though that 7.9 million (seasonally adjusted) working less than 35 hours on the reference week (the one that includes the 12th) includes those working on farms, and is “only” slightly higher than last April. Given that the databases are down, I can’t answer whether the March-to-April jump is normal.

A related chart (not seasonally adjusted) is A-16, which tracks those not in the labor force and multiple jobholders. As of last month’s survey, 7.03 million held multiple jobs (up 80,000 from last April), with those working a part-time job along with a full-time one up 220,000 (to 3.76 million) and those working multiple part-time jobs up 20,000 (at 1.93 million).

Steve Eggleston on May 3, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Saw those, ToddPA.

We also had the bishop (my former pastor) die suddenly.

Back on topic, the dollar menus are doing smashingly well at Mickey D’s, for sure.

either orr on May 3, 2013 at 9:23 AM

This one is a treading-water report

And treading-water = good news. Welcome to the new normal. Meanwhile, Apple has $100 billion+ that it can’t bring back into the US without onerous taxation.

rbj on May 3, 2013 at 9:25 AM

This +165K includes a +193K “birth/death adjustment”, without which it’s actually a 28K loss.

Lies. Damn Lies. Statistics.

Chris of Rights on May 3, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Doughboy on May 3, 2013 at 9:05 AM

But because we’ll be buying fewer buns, chained CPI won’t be going up as much immediately and normal CPI will be adjusted downward in January when the biennial adjustment is done. Hence, no official inflation.

Steve Eggleston on May 3, 2013 at 9:28 AM

AFAIAC–if you wish to know the unemployment rate, then disregard all the variations and permutations currently used to determine it, and simply take the total workforce available, subtract those not working and express this number as a percentage.

You have now gotten a snapshot of the current rate.

Seeing this number will allow you to realize WHY it isn’t calculated thus.

irongrampa on May 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM

MeanWhile,the numbers were smok’n hot….(sarc)

US Labor Department HQ closed for most employees after overnight fire; jobs report expected on time, it says – @AP

1 hour ago from hosted2.ap.org by editor

canopfor on May 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Steve Eggleston on May 3, 2013 at 9:28 AM

There’s only so much I can cut back on with food though(and no, the Ramen diet is not an option). The only real options I have to limit cost are to look for cheaper brands(which ain’t that cheap anymore), not indulge in things like steak, and not eat out as much.

Doughboy on May 3, 2013 at 9:33 AM

portlandon on May 3, 2013 at 8:41 AM

There are several books knocking college as an investment. Well, it is about time that parents were told that the six figures in debt had no guaranteed payoff.

The only guarantee is a lot of far left indoctrination.

I cornered one once and got the truth! They are naturals for the universities, yes but also…

It is NOT an accident! Marxist losers KNOW they need university jobs and angle for them!

IlikedAUH2O on May 3, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I gotta point this out: had this report been in a Bush Any Republican administration the media would have been all over it, 24/7, pointing out that administration policies are killing job prospects and economic growth.
Must be good to be The King.

ExpressoBold on May 3, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Other than in health care, how much of this “increase” was the result of one full time job being converted into two part time jobs?

tommyboy on May 3, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Official White House position: April happened a long time ago.

Happy Nomad on May 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM

ToddPA on May 3, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Don’t you have the cheer today?

The first case sounds like a clear mental health issue.

The second is a natural result with some youth.

Bad as the experiences are, nobody died.

IlikedAUH2O on May 3, 2013 at 9:37 AM

irongrampa on May 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM

^5

bazil9 on May 3, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Doughboy on May 3, 2013 at 9:05 AM

EVERYTHING went up.

bazil9 on May 3, 2013 at 9:15 AM

You two have just been hit by dollar devaluation. QE1, QE2, QE3, QEX….and on and on.

Thanks Obama (and Bernacke!)

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on May 3, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Hope and Change…..Hope’n UpTwinkles….
(sarc)

Reuters US News ‏@ReutersUS 5m

White House says April jobs report shows U.S. economy is continuing to recover from downturn #breaking

canopfor on May 3, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Bad as the experiences are, nobody died.

IlikedAUH2O on May 3, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Ummm…

Student accused of leaving baby in school trash can

…The deceased baby was found by a custodian at McCaskey East High School Tuesday night.

Fallon on May 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Steve Eggleston on May 3, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Problem for Obama is, the only “official” inflation rate that matters is the one everyone is feeling daily when their pocketbook or wallet is lighter than it used to be for a smaller amount of goods & services.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on May 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM

This is why you need to get with a barter system out in the boonies, or as I like to call it: “Beef for Brazing.” Some welding here and there, maybe some fab work or repair, and my freezers get filled with delicious animal flesh.

Bishop on May 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM

It’s the roaring 2010s! Twinkles up economics, Obama’s legacy.

racquetballer on May 3, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Best part of the report is 11,000 fewer government jobs.

sentinelrules on May 3, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Don’t you have the cheer today?

The first case sounds like a clear mental health issue.

The second is a natural result with some youth.

Bad as the experiences are, nobody died.

IlikedAUH2O on May 3, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Well, it IS Friday.

As far as cheer…I’m trying to keep a positive outlook…

..it seems to get harder with each passing year. The constant
barrage of decrepid, immoral, repulsive new stories tends
to bring a person down…..

ToddPA on May 3, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Fallon on May 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM

….then yesterday we had it reported a young woman
(still in HS) gave birth to a baby in a bathroom at Lancaster
MaCaskey High School…..right down the road from where I work.

Silly me. Giving birth never meant tossing a non-term baby in the toilet or the trash.

Must have had a sheltered life when it came to the females around me and their offspring.

IlikedAUH2O on May 3, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I don’t always speak to Poli Sci/Ethnic Studies graduates with $100,000 in debt, but when I do, I ask them to SuperSize it.

MNHawk on May 3, 2013 at 10:18 AM

In related news, this hardly seems surprising:

Chris of Rights on May 3, 2013 at 10:25 AM

The true rate of unemployment: 23%

slickwillie2001 on May 3, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on May 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Teh SCOAMT calls that a feature, not a bug. Besides, he doesn’t have to face the voters anymore.

Steve Eggleston on May 3, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Doughboy on May 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Yes We Can. (I think I heard that somewhere.)

KW64 on May 3, 2013 at 10:30 AM

slickwillie2001 on May 3, 2013 at 10:28 AM

You rule.

psssssttt..I heard a rumor that even the media and administration is beginning to wonder about our economic health.

IlikedAUH2O on May 3, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I just got laid off last week for the third time in two years, while my probably-former boss wades through endless bureaucracy to work out a land development deal.

Tell me how great the economy is doing, Obama.

The Schaef on May 3, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Well, you have the Taft theory of economics in a slowdown and the Daft theory of economics in a slowdown.

IlikedAUH2O on May 3, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Tips are low..specials are what people are ordering and cheap drafts.

People I know will scrape together change and go drinking.

bazil9 on May 3, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Very true. Until he got a real job about six months ago, my son (a marketing graduate) was a waiter at Outback. His words exactly. He said blacks are notoriously poor tippers.

bw222 on May 3, 2013 at 10:41 AM

When do we get the new disability claims number for April?

It sure is easy to have a low unemployment number when the whole country is disabled or have left the workforce due to being discouraged.

txdoc on May 3, 2013 at 10:44 AM

ZeroHedge has the gender age breakdown for the jobs.

Tell me how great the economy is doing, Obama.

The Schaef on May 3, 2013 at 10:34 AM

The industrial park where I work has occupied buildings, but only a couple. The rest used to be, but not anymore.

dogsoldier on May 3, 2013 at 10:45 AM

A good buddy of mine who has been without work since last fall went off the unemployment rolls yesterday.

No, he didn’t get a job.

His UC expired, so he’s not counted any more.

Bruno Strozek on May 3, 2013 at 10:50 AM

dogsoldier on May 3, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Back when the residential real estate crash happened, the financial types said that a commercial real estate crash was coming next. Given the state of the media I don’t know if it’s happened or if it is still to come.

A REB-sucking media just adds to the uncertainty.

slickwillie2001 on May 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM

So happy days are here again! obama saved us….

sandee on May 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM

workforce participation rate

this is the only number that matters.

RedInMD on May 3, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Thanks Obama!
portlandon on May 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM

The key is the work experience and/or what kind of degree they’re getting.

IlikedAUH2O on May 3, 2013 at 9:34 AM

My oldest (22) son graduates from the state U in 2 weeks with a business degree and already has 2 solid job offers – the one he’ll likely take is Enterprise at about $33k starting – but we still owe over $40K in student/parent loans.
On the other hand, my youngest son (20), 2 years out of HS and no college at all, is leaving a full time job making pizzas at Costco because an Italian restaurant he used to work at as a waiter wants him back as a salaried assistant manager at $28K plus bonus.
The older one with the degree and 5 years of college expenses is starting out only a few thousand a year higher than the kid who has had several years of solid real world work experience – and both will be making more than my librarian wife who has a masters degree.
I’m just glad both of my boys actually have jobs.
But unless you’re going to be an engineer, doctor or lawyer, I’d say college is not worth the cost for most people.

dentarthurdent on May 3, 2013 at 11:11 AM

No, he didn’t get a job.
His UC expired, so he’s not counted any more.

Bruno Strozek on May 3, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Well, my younger brother, who’s 44, hasn’t worked in almost 10 years – not because he can’t work or can’t find a job, but because his current wife is scamming social security disability – and they don’t want to lose any of the free gubmint money.

dentarthurdent on May 3, 2013 at 11:16 AM

No, he didn’t get a job.
His UC expired, so he’s not counted any more.

Bruno Strozek on May 3, 2013 at 10:50 AM

dentarthurdent on May 3, 2013 at 11:16 AM

My friend has worked his whole life and was laid off when the company downsized.

He sends out resumes and has had about a half-dozen interviews but no offers.

So 10 years of public assistance versus 6 months of unemployment comp.

I fail to see the equivalence there.

Bruno Strozek on May 3, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I fail to see the equivalence there.

Bruno Strozek on May 3, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Not really an equivalence. 2 different kinds of people, both of whom are not counted in any way by the stats the gubmint puts out.
At least your friend seems to WANT a job – unlike my brother who gave up long ago, not because of the job market but because of the handouts.

I hope your friend can find something. Unfortunately, he may have to take a step (or 2) down. Not easy, but sometimes must be done – I know, I’ve had to do it myself.

dentarthurdent on May 3, 2013 at 11:36 AM

NJ lost tech jobs. Gained in manufacturing. Now that fast food joints are classified as Manufacturing, Im sure thats where the hiring was.

bloviator on May 3, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I cant wait to hear how this is still the best recovery ever!

Should be amusing to watch them flounder at least.

Blu3Yeti on May 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM

All jobs are not equal – likely most of the additions are PT, low wage, perhaps temporary jobs.

Watch the stagnation continue as Obamacare continues its rollout.

22044 on May 3, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Not all of Califorina is Kook Kerry, Man Slut Cliton or Bad Ears Obama country.

one of those or just use patriots jet team

Any how Fry Electronics and Hot Line Construction have helped keep this private air show up and going from 1999 to now.

Bad Ears Ohole and his spend all the tax money on welfare for illegals has the Blue Angles U.S. Navy flyers ground due to his hate of all of U.S..

So in steps private citizens from Califorina to do stand in at the Air Show on the west coast.

They do need more donations or other help if they go more miles from the air port at Bryan Calif.

One of the people who helped get it going a vietnam vet “Denney” .

One hell of a guy and the best private motorcycle collection ever.

Put up some help to help make the O-Hole look more like the true ass hole he in fact is.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on May 3, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Goebbels died again, laughing.

Schadenfreude on May 3, 2013 at 12:20 PM