Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on May 1, 2013 by Allahpundit

The contentious political fight over gun control moved into the White Mountains of New Hampshire on Tuesday as gun-control activists began to focus on Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.) as a prime target in their effort to revive their push for stricter gun laws

Back home this week for a series of town hall meetings, Ayotte is facing new constituent anger and a coordinated effort by gun-control groups to turn her vote into a political liability. These organizations include Mayors Against Illegal Guns, the group founded by New York Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg (I), and the liberal think tank the Center for American Progress. Other groups are deploying organizers to New Hampshire, Arizona, Arkansas, Nevada and North Dakota in hopes of shaming moderate senators of both parties who voted against the background-check plan…

“There’s a sense that the people who support background checks know that they’re in the mainstream,” Stadtman said. “To be rejected by Ayotte like that, when it was so obvious that many of her constituents wanted her to vote for it — it was a tipping point.”

***

New PPP polls in Alaska, Arizona, Nevada, and Ohio find serious backlash against the 5 Senators who voted against background checks in those states. Each of them has seen their approval numbers decline, and voters say they’re less likely to support them the next time they’re up for reelection…

After just 3 months in office Jeff Flake has already become one of the most unpopular Senators in the country. Just 32% of voters approve of him to 51% who disapprove and that -19 net approval rating makes him the most unpopular sitting Senator we’ve polled on, taking that label from Mitch McConnell…

We saw serious improvement in Rob Portman’s poll numbers in the second half of 2012 following his consideration as the Republican Vice Presidential candidate, but he’s taken a nose dive in 2013. Portman’s approval has dropped a net 18 points over the last 6 months from +10 (35/25) in October to now -8 (26/34) in April. Portman’s popularity decline has come across the board with Democrats (from 15/39 to 8/50), Republicans (62/11 to 46/19), and independents (28/23 to 24/32) alike…

And in Nevada Dean Heller has seen a more modest decline in his approval numbers, from 47/42 right before the election to 44/41 now. However with the independent voters who were critical to his narrow victory in November, his approval has dropped from 52/37 then to now 42/42.

***

Nothing like waking up to a poll saying you’re the nation’s least popular senator. Given the public’s dim view of Congress in general, that probably puts me somewhere just below pond scum.

Now, notwithstanding the polling firm’s leftist bent, I would assume that my poll numbers have indeed taken a southerly turn since my vote against the Manchin-Toomey background check proposal. It was a popular amendment, and I voted against it.

***

Via Gallup:

gal

***

Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) revealed that some members of his party opposed expanding background checks for gun sales recently because they didn’t want to “be seen helping the president.”…

“In the end it didn’t pass because we’re so politicized. There were some on my side who did not want to be seen helping the president do something he wanted to get done, just because the president wanted to do it,” Toomey admitted on Tuesday in an interview with Digital First Media editors in the offices of the Times Herald newspaper in Norristown, Pa.

The Times Herald noted that in “subsequent comments,” Toomey “tried to walk that remark part-way back by noting he meant to say Republicans across the nation in general, not just those in the Senate.”

***

“After you get the 29″ votes to filibuster, one conservative staffer put it, “you know who to beat up.” The filibuster effort, by this telling, was something of a whip count by a guerilla unit of conservative freshmen.

So Lee, Cruz, and Paul — and their staffs — set out to work on those Republicans who were less than firm. Almost the entire GOP conference was pretty strong in opposing the Democrats’ more Draconian gun control proposals — such as an assault weapons ban — but the conservative rump didn’t want any new regulations on gun ownership by law-abiding citizens. Cruz, along with almost every other Republican, signed on to an alternative bill by Sen. Charles Grassley, which mostly beefed up the current federal database behind background checks.

Anything more ambitious was a nonstarter in the eyes of Cruz, Paul and Lee. Specifically, they rejected the proposal by Sens. Pat Toomey, R-Pa., and Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., to create a mandatory universal background check. Toomey-Manchin was the only real chance Obama had of passing a gun control bill. If that went down, gun control went down…

So, the Obama account is wrong in part because it portrays the NRA as calling all the shots within the GOP on guns. But it seems it was Cruz, Lee and Paul who drew the line, and then the NRA came in to hold that line.

***

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

Last night on MSNBC’s Hardball, Chris Matthews played this video and asked for my response.

I brought up the analogy of terrorism yielding calls for war in the Muslim world, or restrictions on civil liberties. These are standard responses to terrorist attacks, and it’s very likely that some victims or their families would advocate such a response.

“Just because there’s a victim who wants a direct response,” I said, “doesn’t mean that is a correct policy response.”

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7

If you spent less time playing with guns and actually learned to fight, you wouldn’t have any problem disarming an idiot with a baseball bat. And you’d be able to defend yourself without relying on a concealed weapon.

bayam on May 2, 2013 at 12:36 AM

You’re always boring but this proves that you are also incredibly dumb.

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Please tell me I didn’t read that. My son’s friend is a quite good mmf and has been on TV. With a baseball bat I think I could take him.

arnold ziffel on May 2, 2013 at 1:34 AM

In The City – Eagles

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 1:35 AM

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Thank you very much, she will appreciate it too, funny she wants to meet some pioneer spirited women to hang out with once we get settled, This girl just so makes me love her:)

Oh, you live in OKC don’t you or Stillwater?

MarshFox on May 2, 2013 at 1:35 AM

Axe on May 2, 2013 at 1:32 AM

ya gotta pay for dem burgers. She wanted a loan.

Anyway maybe your next date with RWM can be at the Food Truck Thread Truck.

Me and Rudy (SWalker) will be on duty to satisfy your need for RWMs booty.

O_o <–evil laugh inserted by Food Truck Rudy (SWalker)

SparkPlug on May 2, 2013 at 1:36 AM

SparkPlug on May 2, 2013 at 1:23 AM

I just saw that. Do I have to take away your office and your secretary, Spark?

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 1:37 AM

MarshFox on May 2, 2013 at 1:35 AM

I don’t usually say..

However, since it’s you :) Broken Arrow.

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Your inference that the rape rate in the US has dropped because more women are armed with guns is certainly telling. Are these women remaining armed during dates, when a majority of rapes occur? Please take the time to understand the difference between causation and correlation before posting such comments here.

bayam on May 2, 2013 at 1:23 AM

So what would your causation and correlation be? That men in the US have less violent tendencies than anywhere else? I’m pretty sure you’d have a hard time convincing anyone that America is less violent than other 1st world countries.

It isn’t so much that more women are carrying guns, but rather criminals BELIEVE they are. In fact, the fastest growing segment of the population in the US purchasing firearms for self defense are…wait for it…women!

So we see shifts in criminal behaviors to locations where they expect little resistance. I’d gather you’d have a better chance of finding yourself a victim in NYC than you would in Phoenix AZ and not because of the population difference.

Otherwise, what expectation would you have (living in a country like Australia) that a woman would have a concealed handgun? I’d wager somewhere near zero.

Flashwing on May 2, 2013 at 1:38 AM

reckon if someone came at me with a bat i’d just wind up and throw ‘em a curveball. everyone knows that punks can’t hit a curveball.

Fred

jrsrigmvr on May 2, 2013 at 1:25 AM

lol — confuse the enemy. :)

Attacked with a bat, pull out a baseball and wind up. Attacked with a knife, take out an apple and hand it to them.

Axe on May 2, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Life In The Fast Lane – Eagles

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Joe Foss flew Black 53 an F4F Wildcat on Guadalcanal in 1942 with the Cactus Air Force, it is where he earned that MOH. He was a Marine of the highest order and a hero for me growing up, his plane will be one of the first that I build once we get settled in the new digs:)

MarshFox on May 2, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Evening Mr. Fox. Did you re-enlist or are you coming back to America? A lot has happened since you were gone.

arnold ziffel on May 2, 2013 at 1:40 AM

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Noooooooo!

You escape, beat up all the trolls, and become the heroine. I guess that costume was a little uncomfortable below deck.

SparkPlug on May 2, 2013 at 1:41 AM

The Long Run

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2013 at 1:42 AM

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 1:38 AM

I wasn’t trying to pry, I just know some folks in OKC and they went to college at Stillwater, we go way way back, grade school back, and I know that the odds are you would never know them but, stranger things have happened to me:)

MarshFox on May 2, 2013 at 1:42 AM

You don’t have some weird “Paris Hilton Thing” – do you?……..

williamg on May 2, 2013 at 1:31 AM

No, but I understand she says ‘That’s sooooo HOT!’ a lot.

:-)

Resist We Much on May 2, 2013 at 1:43 AM

SparkPlug on May 2, 2013 at 1:41 AM

If don’t stop talking about ‘below decks’, Spark, I’m going to rename you… Orlop.

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Most rapes occur on dates and even more involve an acquaintance, someone with the ability to closely approach a woman without reveling his intent. You’re missing the point.

bayam on May 2, 2013 at 1:45 AM

No idea – heck, she wasn’t even IN the fantasy………err, so to speak….

She does NOTHING for me……I prefer a more mature and full-figured woman…….

You don’t have some weird “Paris Hilton Thing” – do you?……..

williamg on May 2, 2013 at 1:31 AM

^Reminds me. I always supported the Prescription Drug Benefit. You know, in theory.

n’orleans, n’orleans, my guitar weeps, one, one, one

Axe on May 2, 2013 at 1:45 AM

arnold ziffel on May 2, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Both, I reenlisted Dec 7th of last year, and I am coming home this weekend for good to move to our next duty sation, though this will be our last one, when this enlistment is over I will retire, that will put me at 28 years. Things have changed, unfortunately, the country I fight for would seem to no longer exist.

MarshFox on May 2, 2013 at 1:47 AM

it is really bizarre reading these back and forth posts with bayam. Roughly half the households have a gun.

PRINCETON, NJ — Forty-seven percent of American adults currently report that they have a gun in their home or elsewhere on their property. This is up from 41% a year ago and is the highest Gallup has recorded since 1993, albeit marginally above the 44% and 45% highs seen during that period.

leftist outfits think the number is more like 40 percent. But whatever.

The truth is that leftist/trolls are terrorized by the notion that people have guns. It is a totally non-rational belief system…like the reporters who peed in their pants when they tried to fire a gun for the first time. Scary stuff….they are a little afraid of themselves, I think.

The humorous part is in the left wing beloved myth about paranoia in the conservative mind. Looking for reds under every bed…wasn’t that it? Oh and remember the fluoridation thing?

Well, it is all reversed now. Leftists are terrified of the gun under all those beds out there…and no, they don’t much like fluoridation either.

Maty Sauter says her yard has been vandalized three times in the last month. The first time it happened she says she returned home to find an anti-fluoride sign in her yard.

“I was embarrassed,” she said. “I don’t support that point of view, and the sign’s been in my yard for eight hours.”

She believes her house was chosen because she lives along Cesar Chavez Boulevard with plenty of people driving by.

so lefty trolls…trust me, fluoridation is fine…and guns are fine too. Now, go back and listen to your Buffalo Springfield

r keller on May 2, 2013 at 1:48 AM

SparkPlug on May 2, 2013 at 1:41 AM

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Bayam and nonpartisan are “bilge.”

arnold ziffel on May 2, 2013 at 1:48 AM

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Spark’s so SAD. He needs a girlfriend so he’ll quit whining all the time!

Axe on May 2, 2013 at 1:48 AM

MarshFox on May 2, 2013 at 1:42 AM

I knew you weren’t. You’re a gentleman. :)

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Spark’s so SAD. He needs a girlfriend so he’ll quit whining all the time!

Axe on May 2, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Mean…just last week you were still jealous of him :)

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2013 at 1:50 AM

bayam on May 2, 2013 at 1:45 AM

No, you’re missing the point. Rapes are still down. Why? Because women are dating better? Or perhaps because you don’t hear about the women who successfully defend themselves on a date because they are carrying? In fact I think a good PSA would be to encourage all women to carry. What do you think would happen to date-rape rates if all guys thought the woman sitting across from them in the restaurant may be armed?

Guns save lives, bring peace of mind, and keep loved ones secure. The facts bear this out.

I know your brain probably barely operates above that of a 5 year old having a temper tantrum, but I encourage you to provide us with any supporting data that gun control or gun bans reduce homicides or violent crime in general. Take your time. We’ll wait.

NotCoach on April 17, 2013 at 11:46 PM

NotCoach on May 2, 2013 at 1:51 AM

MarshFox on May 2, 2013 at 1:47 AM

It exists as long as you do. And it’s an honor.

Axe on May 2, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Bluest Blues – Alvin Lee

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 1:51 AM

r keller on May 2, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Funny how lefties have this constant superiority, desire to control complex. If they don’t want a gun fine, but they don’t want us to have one either.
They live in a complete fantasy world re good and evil with us (conservatives) being evil.

arnold ziffel on May 2, 2013 at 1:52 AM

arnold ziffel on May 2, 2013 at 1:48 AM

That caught your attention eh?

Ken stared all this with his Moon-Goddess Bat-Girl talk; and Scrumpy already swooshed so she couldn’t keep me out of trouble.

SparkPlug on May 2, 2013 at 1:52 AM

links

just as a note…the problem isn’t little trolls like bayam…the big trouble is the pols who would sell us out cheap

r keller on May 2, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Scary stuff….they are a little afraid of themselves, I think.

r keller on May 2, 2013 at 1:48 AM

That probably says it all right there. They don’t trust themselves, so why should they trust anyone else?

NotCoach on May 2, 2013 at 1:53 AM

MarshFox on May 2, 2013 at 1:47 AM

She exists…the question is…oh, well…it’s obvious what it is.

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2013 at 1:53 AM

arnold ziffel on May 2, 2013 at 1:48 AM

They’re worse… side wash.

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Niters!

Kiss, kiss!

Resist We Much on May 2, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Mean…just last week you were still jealous of him :)

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Last week didn’t happen, and no one can prove it did. :)

And I was not jealous. Just . . . keeping an eye on him. And that hasn’t actually changed. — lol

Axe on May 2, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Niters!

Kiss, kiss!

Resist We Much on May 2, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Night Resist. Sleep tight. :)

*sigh* hate this part.

Axe on May 2, 2013 at 1:56 AM

However, since it’s you :) Broken Arrow.

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 1:38 AM

that’s where Tulsa winches are manufactured. I just love Tulsa winches.

Fred

jrsrigmvr on May 2, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Axe on May 2, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Mean…just last week you were still jealous of him :)

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Yeah. So true. Good Point. Meanwhile Axe is trying to bad a cougar; a real cougar with claws and teeth that thrashes trolls into ground meat.

Stay tuned. Should be interesting.

SparkPlug on May 2, 2013 at 1:57 AM

MarshFox on May 2, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Hope your last few years are pleasant. Will you get to finish up stateside?

arnold ziffel on May 2, 2013 at 1:57 AM

jrsrigmvr on May 2, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Another thing we have in common, Fred! Not that I use winches… but the town… that’s the thing. :)

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 1:58 AM

*sigh* hate this part.

Axe on May 2, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Lolz. She will be back.

*Hands AxeFellow a handkerchief*

SparkPlug on May 2, 2013 at 1:59 AM

That caught your attention eh?

SparkPlug on May 2, 2013 at 1:52 AM

There are a fair number of things on this thread that are unusually attention catching, now that you mention it.

Axe on May 2, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Axe on May 2, 2013 at 1:55 AM

I never saw this comment. It isn’t :)

You’re both very clever/funny creatures, in different ways entirely, and good friends to have.

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2013 at 1:59 AM

SparkPlug on May 2, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Made me laugh! :)

You’re a good and true pal to Axefellow, Spark. :)

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 2:00 AM

MF, be safe, watch your back, to the end.

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2013 at 2:00 AM

I just love Tulsa winches.

Fred

jrsrigmvr on May 2, 2013 at 1:57 AM

I love all them Okie wenches.

arnold ziffel on May 2, 2013 at 2:00 AM

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 1:49 AM

I disagree, but I have learned not to argue with women;)

Axe on May 2, 2013 at 1:51 AM

You do me an honor I don’t deserve, but I feel humbled by it all the same , pal;)(Young Guns)

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2013 at 1:53 AM

True, but maybe for us she may never die, for as long as the flame of liberty exist within us, the ideal of her shall always remain.

MarshFox on May 2, 2013 at 2:01 AM

They’re worse… side wash.

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Flotsam, jetsam, keel haul em.

arnold ziffel on May 2, 2013 at 2:02 AM

arnold ziffel on May 2, 2013 at 2:00 AM

You know… I knew someone was going to drop that one…

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 2:02 AM

arnold ziffel on May 2, 2013 at 1:52 AM

right…and the hive includes the media…as noted by this guy

leftists screamed and shrieked about Pain’s use of ‘target’…but can they target Ayotte? You betcha.

they are so hypocritical they don’t even know what they look like to rational people…but that is the Hive…that’s what the Hive is for.

r keller on May 2, 2013 at 2:02 AM

You know… I knew someone was going to drop that one…

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 2:02 AM

That’s because I luvs you.

arnold ziffel on May 2, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Slow Blues in C – Alvin Lee

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 2:04 AM

arnold ziffel on May 2, 2013 at 2:03 AM

:) And I love those piercing green eyes, Arnold.

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 2:05 AM

You’re a good and true pal to Axefellow, Spark. :)

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Which is why the magistrate should grant me power of attorney over all of his affairs.

Trust me I wouldn’t do anything to cause him grief. Muuaaah.

SparkPlug on May 2, 2013 at 2:05 AM

r keller on May 2, 2013 at 2:02 AM

The one good thing is they often overreach and kick the beehive that is us. Gun control seems to have us swarming and immigration is gonna be a stinging.

arnold ziffel on May 2, 2013 at 2:05 AM

the country I fight for would seem to no longer exist.

MarshFox on May 2, 2013 at 1:47 AM

It does exist, and it is still the greatest country on earth. Do not despair. We’ve lived through Clinton, Carter and FDR, and yet we still are the greatest country on earth. The pendulum will swing back to the right, we have an amazing bench for 2016, Cruz, Rand, Rubio, Jindal, Walker, McDonnell, and on and on.

John the Libertarian on May 2, 2013 at 2:05 AM

SparkPlug on May 2, 2013 at 1:57 AM

I think you got that backwards, he’s robbing the cradle on that deal, she’s a bad a@@ alright enough, and maturity wise sh’e years above Axe, but she’s still still got some wildcat in her yet;)

MarshFox on May 2, 2013 at 2:07 AM

SparkPlug on May 2, 2013 at 2:05 AM

HA! You don’t say so! :)

Somehow I don’t think even you can be persuasive enough to convince the Magistrate to go along with that one, Spark. :)

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Trust me I wouldn’t do anything to cause him grief. Muuaaah.

SparkPlug on May 2, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Hah

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2013 at 2:08 AM

John the Libertarian on May 2, 2013 at 2:05 AM

That list is…

nope…

I’m on vacation.

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Best laugh in a while… still laughing. :)

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 2:09 AM

arnold ziffel on May 2, 2013 at 1:57 AM

I will, in Oregon as a matter of fact, sort of exile, I tell to many people no, when the whole world would have me say yes;) Ruffles the brasses feathers, but the truth hurts at times;)

MarshFox on May 2, 2013 at 2:10 AM

SparkPlug on May 2, 2013 at 1:57 AM

MarshFox on May 2, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Yep. Perfect. We shall see if he can tame her without losing any limbs. hehehe.

SparkPlug on May 2, 2013 at 2:10 AM

arnold ziffel on May 2, 2013 at 2:03 AM

:) And I love those piercing green eyes, Arnold.

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 2:05 AM

I have green eyes, you know. HEY! Someone mention this later. I forgot; this is the kind of information its safe to exchange. I’m serious about information exchange lately.

Anyway. Green. :)

Anyone else?

Axe on May 2, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Fred

jrsrigmvr on May 2, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2013 at 2:00 AM

As you advised me, I shall ever remain prudent:)

MarshFox on May 2, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Anyone else?

Axe on May 2, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Ok, Green, the same color as your tights. That’s easy to remember. (:

SparkPlug on May 2, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Axe on May 2, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Very pale blue/grey with a sunburst of pale gold around the iris.. so if I wear green… they look green. :)

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 2:12 AM

boy i screwed that one up

I’ll go back to the old way

Fred

jrsrigmvr on May 2, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Anyone else?

Axe on May 2, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Open

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2013 at 2:14 AM

LOL! :) Most assuredly.

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 2:15 AM

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Schad sees with his brain.

SparkPlug on May 2, 2013 at 2:16 AM

SparkPlug on May 2, 2013 at 1:57 AM

MarshFox on May 2, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Actually, I did the math once. I’ve only got about ten years on her. I’m between most of you guys and her; sort of a half step between.

I’m telling you, this is totally doable. I’ve avoided the sun. :)

lol — wth. “avoided the sun.”

madge, malvina, little rock, three, three, three, ace freely freely freely

Axe on May 2, 2013 at 2:16 AM

jrsrigmvr on May 2, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Great tune. When you link it .. hit link… then erase the http: part in the window… and then paste you link you copied from the tune … and then hit ‘okay’… and then write what you like… and then hit the /link button on the dashboard. :)

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 2:16 AM

John the Libertarian on May 2, 2013 at 2:05 AM

We have indeed, but I think that the battle for her sould isn’t to be one at the top, no I think at the state level and in the learning institutions is where we need to really fight, because it is there that we can influence the most, and if states with an educated populace stand up against the overreach of the Federal Government, we may yet keep our ship afloat.

MarshFox on May 2, 2013 at 2:16 AM

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Ah, I know that color. Your eyes are babes. :)

Axe on May 2, 2013 at 2:18 AM

RCP (RealClearPolitics)…or the USA temperature of the moment

Obama Needs to Hope Again – E.J. Dionne, Washington Post
Too Weak to Surrender – James Taranto, Wall Street Journal
Compromise-Resistant GOP Is the Problem – Charles Blow, New York Times
Obama’s “Fairness” Economy Has Backfired – David Harsanyi, Examiner
Mark Sanford’s Comedy of Errors – Dana Milbank, Washington Post
Eyeing ’16, Ted Cruz Aims to Seize DeMint Mantle – Scott Conroy, RCP

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2013 at 2:18 AM

MarshFox on May 2, 2013 at 2:10 AM

How did you get a USMC post to OR if I understood your branch? We have a house in Brookings and hope to move there full time. Let me rephrase that. Hope to offload it at some point and move to TX where people seem a bit more sane.

arnold ziffel on May 2, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Axe on May 2, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Thanks, I’m kind of used to them. :)

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 2:21 AM

MarshFox on May 2, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Agreed. It’s to be won at the state and local level. But I’d also like someone to our liking at the top spot to grant more power to the states and localities. I like how the Koch brothers are starting to seize liberal institutions by acquiring the LA Times. May this continue.

John the Libertarian on May 2, 2013 at 2:22 AM

sloe gin

Fred

jrsrigmvr on May 2, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Blues After Hours – Pinetop Perkins

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 2:24 AM

Thanks, I’m kind of used to them. :)

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 2:21 AM

That’s my favorite, actually.

– But look at all these other wimps. :)

MarshFox on May 2, 2013 at 2:16 AM

The books matter. I’m on that.

Axe on May 2, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Axe on May 2, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Oh I don’t disagree with you, but when I did the math it ended up to being my two sister’s age, and I know how they are, you my friend have had it, pal, you had better go back an read what Lila said about your ballad because it fits to a T;)

Btw, you have me by two years, which means you were walking when we landed on the moon and I was still gestating;)

MarshFox on May 2, 2013 at 2:26 AM

I’m on vacation.

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 2:09 AM

I’m a bit sour on Rubio right now. He took a gamble, and it blew up in his face. We’ll see if he reacts correctly. I believe he always knew his immigration plan wasn’t going to ever pass and was just posturing for the si se puede vote.

John the Libertarian on May 2, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Chains of Love

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2013 at 2:27 AM

MarshFox on May 2, 2013 at 2:26 AM

LOL! Made me laugh! :)

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 2:27 AM

OT: Found this awesome site linked at “Watts Up With That?”.

NotCoach on May 2, 2013 at 2:20 AM

That’s awesome.

Axe on May 2, 2013 at 2:28 AM

John the Libertarian on May 2, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Good evening, John. How are you? Lovely weather we’re having here. I’m even thinking of poolside very soon. Did I mention that I’m on vacation? :)

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Schadenfreude on May 2, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Oh, excellent. :)

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 2:30 AM

arnold ziffel on May 2, 2013 at 2:19 AM

I have never confirmed or denied my branch, and no need to worry you didn’t out me, however, the quick answer is working with reservist.

I am looking forward to it, OR has some of the best mountain bike trails in the country, plus all the hunting and fishing I desire.

MarshFox on May 2, 2013 at 2:32 AM

MarshFox on May 2, 2013 at 2:26 AM

We’re close, close. :) But I’ll leave it at that.

Axe on May 2, 2013 at 2:32 AM

jrsrigmvr on May 2, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Goodnight, my friend. Sleep well. :)

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 2:34 AM

Ah… feels kind of like the Glade. :)

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 2:37 AM

thatsafactjack on May 2, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Lila and I were born on the same day, exactly a year apart, hows that for something:)

MarshFox on May 2, 2013 at 2:38 AM