Man of the people Terry McAuliffe left his wife in the delivery room for a Washington Post party

posted at 10:01 pm on May 1, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

Buzzfeed‘s Andrew Kaczynski finds the perfect contrast to Terry McAuliffe’s soft-focus introductory campaign ad about family. The Democratic candidate for governor of Virginia is styling himself as a Commonwealth man of the people after years as the quintessential fixture of Beltway culture. According to his own book, it turns out a guy with a semi-permanent seat at the “Morning Joe” table makes decisions like, well, a guy who spends his breakfasts on the “Morning Joe” set.

This is just…

“We got there a little after noon and spent the whole afternoon in her room. I was trying hard not to appear restless, but I am not one to sit still for long and soon I was going stir-crazy, which drove Dorothy nuts. ‘Isn’t there something you need to do?’ she finally said. I told her The Washington Post was having a party that evening for Lloyd Grove, who wrote the ‘Reliable Source’ column. ‘Go!’ she said. ‘You’re like a caged animal here. I’ll call you if I need you.’ I went flying out the door and drove to the party. I kept calling Dorothy to make sure she was fine. I made the rounds at the party and ran into Marjorie Williams, who was writing a story on me for Vanity Fair, magazine. She was shocked to see me at the party. ‘Isn’t Dorothy having a baby today?’ she asked. ‘That’s right,’ I said, ‘but she threw me out the room.’ Marjorie just couldn’t understand how I left Dorothy alone. I almost told her about the night I was born and how my mother wanted my father to stay at home to watch Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo, but decided against it. I went back to the hospital after the Washington Post party and at 3:33 A.M. little Sarah Swann McAuliffe was born.”

Congratulations, Terry. You’re less connected to the priorities of normal people than a Vanity Fair reporter. In fairness, pretty much all wives are entitled to do some husband-banishing and/or berating during the tense hours of labor, but said husbands would be well advised to stay closer than the first glitzy soiree they can find within the metro area.

Here’s McAuliffe’s sweet, fuzzy ad:

Click back over to Buzzfeed to read another incredibly icky McAuliffe family anecdote, which features Dorothy, another newborn baby, and a trip to a DNC fundraiser. Wow.

Comments

Bishop?

massrighty on May 1, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Yeah, well…MARK SANFORD is Satan!!11

SouthernGent on May 1, 2013 at 10:05 PM

War on Uterus, I mean, women!
What? Oh, he’s a democrat.
Nevermind.

RovesChins on May 1, 2013 at 10:06 PM

If the people of Virginia vote this wanker in….
Then I will laugh my ass off as the Commonwealth
craters…..

redguy on May 1, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Terry forgot who he really works for. This is exactly the kind of behavior for which his peers excoriated Margaret Thatcher — and he doesn’t even have the excuse that said work was important for the country.

unclesmrgol on May 1, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I always knew he was a complete sweetheart.

arnold ziffel on May 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM

“The Punk”

tom daschle concerned on May 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM

The Democratic candidate for governor of Virginia is styling himself as a Commonwealth man of the people…

…who is refusing to release his tax returns.

‘The word’s out that he hasn’t paid ANY taxes for 10 years. Let him prove that he has paid taxes, because he hasn’t!’

Resist We Much on May 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM

C’mon, give him a break. He would’ve stayed a lot longer if his wife were getting an abortion.

TXUS on May 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM

If the people of Virginia vote this wanker in….
Then I will laugh my ass off as the Commonwealth
craters…..

redguy on May 1, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Man, if VA votes this chucklehead in, then there will be absolutely no place anymore for us Marylanders to escape to!

Virginians, think of your brothers and sisters to the north! Please!

NavyMustang on May 1, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Good one, Ham. Pretty Ham Funny

SparkPlug on May 1, 2013 at 10:13 PM

McCauliffe looks a lot like Biff Huntsman, doesn’t he? Separated at birth?

How was the party, Terry?

onlineanalyst on May 1, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Unless it was at least a 6 hours long sex party with at least 2 beautiful women, there’s absolutely no excuse for that.

VorDaj on May 1, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Terry McAuliffe’s soft-focus introductory campaign ad about family.

If Larry Flynt weren’t such a despicable hack, he would say:

“Damn, if I had only held off ONE DAY on making that ‘Sex Pioneer Endorsement’ that I awarded yesterday to the man, who has ‘done the most to expose the hypocrisy of traditional values’!!!”

Resist We Much on May 1, 2013 at 10:15 PM

TXUS on May 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM

And would have come back a little sooner if she had gone into a coma. Or at least sent flowers.

VorDaj on May 1, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Not caring for his lifemate or his child over partying? Sounds like a typical liberal.

MelonCollie on May 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM

The fundraiser story is worse than the delivery room story.

gophergirl on May 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM

It’s apropos that he ran into a Vanity Fair reporterette.

onlineanalyst on May 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I much prefer Cuccinelli’s ad asking why McAuliffe is against holding abortion clinics to the same standards as hospitals. It’s a pre-emptive strike on the inevitable war on women theme. The theme that cost Romney the Commonwealth. Stupid uninformed single-issue women who truly believed that Romney wanted to ban all abortions because the television was telling them so.

Happy Nomad on May 1, 2013 at 10:19 PM

He’s a Commonwealth slug.He has plenty of experiance at stealing votes and lying.If they vote him in he’s all theirs.

docflash on May 1, 2013 at 10:19 PM

OMG! He didn’t!

NEVER leave females alone in the hospital, a broken down car, at a party where they don’t know anyone, alone with a drunk, with a high pressure salesman, with a very sick child, home with a threatening storm coming..

I have learned my lessons well…

IlikedAUH2O on May 1, 2013 at 10:19 PM

MelonCollie on May 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Depends. Did he and his “lifemate” do the typical liberal thing and dump the kid on caregivers as quickly as possible?

Happy Nomad on May 1, 2013 at 10:21 PM

The “man” has his priorities. Obviously his wife isn’t one of them.

GarandFan on May 1, 2013 at 10:22 PM

McAuliffe demonstrates he’s pretty much a serial a-hole.

socalcon on May 1, 2013 at 10:26 PM

NavyMustang on May 1, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Actually we kinda blame you. The MD infection seems to be headed south.

But I gotta ask you- Do you see any irony in the fact that Martin O’Malley and the criminals around him rule “the free state?”

I was at an event over the weekend where MD Senate President Miller also attended. What a complete oily scumbag politician.

Happy Nomad on May 1, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I coundt even leave me sister 2 years ago..was having a panic attack.
Heartless f88K.

bazil9 on May 1, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I’d say he doesn’t understand women, but if his wife is a liberal, she probably doesn’t understand women.
Look, if your a guy, there’s only a handful of things you gotta handle right.

Dongemaharu on May 1, 2013 at 10:30 PM

MelonCollie on May 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Wouldn’t the typical liberal just have an abortion?

Leaving his wife crying in the car instead seems pretty tame.

I mean at least it’s still alive.

tetriskid on May 1, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Indulgent wife or self-indulgent a-hole?

mchristian on May 1, 2013 at 10:32 PM

…I didn’t know Terry had testicles OR a di@k!

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Jerkwad.

My wife said craaaazy things to me at every birthing; you just stay quiet and take it.

Bishop on May 1, 2013 at 11:05 PM

This POS is one of the many that have lived and reigned in Washington, DC far too long.

Take it from a man whose wife has had two boys and now going to have a girl in September: bring a damn book to read or bring a few damn DVDs to watch on your laptop computer. Read or watch them in the visitor room.

How much of a douche can you be, leaving your wife in a hospital where she can deliver any minute, while you partake of an open bar and prime rib buffet?

ICBMMan on May 1, 2013 at 11:11 PM

…for my first one…my wife…who NEVER swears…told me to “STFU”!…and rub her back!

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Funny he just happens to mention that he ran into Marjorie Williams & shows back up to hospital @ 3:33am. Plenty of time to be bumping & grinding with another women who isn’t pregnant.

Conservative4Ever on May 1, 2013 at 11:15 PM

To be fair, if he was my husband, I probably would have told him to go somewhere else too.

Come to think of it, I vaguely remember telling Mr. Lily to go, ahem, Somewhere Else during labor and he isn’t even a useless jerk face politician.

He pretended that there wasn’t anywhere else he would rather be, having his arm clawed every 30 seconds and listening to abuse.

Turned out to be good practice for being parents of teens.

Lily on May 1, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Ted Kennedy’s Stamp of Approval.

CW on May 1, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Dongemaharu on May 1, 2013 at 10:30 PM

. . . : )

listens2glenn on May 1, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Ted Kennedy’s Stamp of Approval.

CW on May 1, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Ted was Terry’s mentor.

listens2glenn on May 1, 2013 at 11:26 PM

listens2glenn on May 1, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Acorn…tree. Yep.

Does Terry remind anyone of that sleaze ball in “Ghosts?” Tony Goldwin’s character?

coldwarrior on May 1, 2013 at 11:29 PM

When liberals aren’t exploiting their children, they’re ignoring them.

Pork-Chop on May 1, 2013 at 11:34 PM

My mom and dad have 9 kids. I was a freshman in college when she had my youngest sister. Mom had her, everything was fine, and she sent Dad off to watch my basketball game, because all she was going to do was sleep :)

cptacek on May 1, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Everyone knows this guy is a major punk. Probably even his wife.

Hummer53 on May 2, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Opinions of the folks McCain et al wish all of us to give reach arounds to:

Justnobody Holz · Top Commenter

that the point. there is no story whatsoever. it is a politically motivated response pointing to what the staffer here considers hypocritical actions. not really the reason i started visiting buzzfeed more often than huffpo i can tell u that. this guy nds fired simply for being a loser.

(In reference to Andrew, the article author)

Meh, not really. The man is a workaholic. My wife is the same way–she worked late the day she went into labor, came home, and went straight to the hospital. She took her laptop. With our first kid, she was in labor 25 hours–and spent several hours of that checking and replying to email.

McAuliffe is dedicated to his job and the Democratic party. And obviously his wife supports him, even if she gets a little bent out of shape sometimes. Sounds like they have a strong marriage.

Maris Kelley · Top Commenter · Metropolitan State College of Denver
Andrew, stop trying to make conservatism happen. It’s not going to happen.

preallocated on May 2, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Oh this is how Hot Air is avoiding covering Bob McDonnell and Ken Cooch engaging in campaign finance malfeasance. http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/virginias-deepening-scandal/2013/04/30/ba542f10-b1d5-11e2-bbf2-a6f9e9d79e19_story.html

libfreeordie on May 2, 2013 at 6:00 AM

I suspect, in as much as leftist family pols behave, the kid was lucky he didn’t leave her off at the local Planned Parenthood Center.

Don L on May 2, 2013 at 7:03 AM

libfreeordie on May 2, 2013 at 6:00 AM

Those are unproven allegations. You wouldn’t want HA to spread rumors would you? Or should we talk about Benghazi and Fast and Furious some more? You really are a worthless f***.

Happy Nomad on May 2, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Sounds like a good candidate to spawn some martyrs for the “religion of peace”. He’s sure got a good “compliant” women there thats probably happy to breed some warriors for allah.

acyl72 on May 2, 2013 at 7:19 AM

I find it outrageous around here in Northern VA that the ads are running derisively calling McAuliff “a career politician”. The reality is that he has held no elected office. Call a spade what it is. He has been a consultant. A political organizer. He’s another Washington hanger-on. He’s a career political hack. Get the terminology right, Republicans. This man is from the meanest wing of the Liberal bent. Alinsky him with all you’ve got in you. VA is a major Democrat target. Northern VA, Hampton Roads, inner Richmond, Roanoke are more blue than red and in recent elections have swamped the rest of the more rural state.

ironked on May 2, 2013 at 7:32 AM

I do believe the word for this guy here is one that starts with a J, ends with a K, has an ER in the middle….

pilamaye on May 2, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Doesn’t one of his companies make electric cars in China?

itsacookbook on May 2, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Navymustang at 10:10 pm May 1

Oh. My. Gosh. Priceless. I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland – our 2013 legislative season just ended and conservatives were literally given the back of the hand – we lost on every issue – gun control, private property rights, gas taxes, forced unionization – you name it.

So, since Delaware is right behind MD in trashing the constitution, I’ve been saying the Eastern Shore of Virginia is looking mighty good.

Well, if they elect this tool, where in the world am I supposed to go?

Turn MD Red on May 2, 2013 at 8:20 AM

libfreeordie on May 2, 2013 at 6:00 AM

Fine. Go bellyache about it at the Daily Kos Puke.

22044 on May 2, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Well, if they elect this tool, where in the world am I supposed to go?

Turn MD Red on May 2, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Never been much of a Texas fan, they can be a brash and obnoxious lot, but the reality is that it’s becoming the nexus of any kind of freedom an fiscal soundness.

However, with that being said you have the clown show Sheila Jackson Lee and the Austin communist brigade. No place is safe from these libs.

acyl72 on May 2, 2013 at 8:59 AM

McAuliffe has always been the poster boy for Democrat slime. I think he was the original John Edwards in a lot of ways.

Tom C on May 2, 2013 at 9:04 AM

acyl72 on May 2, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Come to Kansas! We are getting some good stuff done!

cptacek on May 2, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I’ve got three daughters, and it never occurred to me to be anywhere but the hospital during labor. I don’t care what his wife said, he’s still a worm.

Ward Cleaver on May 2, 2013 at 10:05 AM

libfreeordie on May 2, 2013 at 6:00 AM

What a pathetic attempt at threadjacking.

Ward Cleaver on May 2, 2013 at 10:06 AM

libfreeordie on May 2, 2013 at 6:00 AM

There was a time on this website where blatantly off-topic posting with obvious attempts to troll warrented a private and public warning, followed by a banning if it didn’t stop.

How awful a person do you have to be to make it so clear to your wife that you don’t care enough about her and your daughter that she asks you “Isn’t there something you need to do?”

Pathetic. I can only imagine the weekly Saturday Night Live sketches based on that if he had an (R) after his name.

DrAllecon on May 2, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Somewhat damning that even the people at the party were looking askance at his decision. Even the Vanity Fair reporter!

(This is pretty mild, though.)

GWB on May 2, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I would expect nothing less from a raging idiot, liberal….. thank God this wasn’t a liberal, apologist, pro-choice abortion story. His little girl can also thank God!

ultracon on May 2, 2013 at 1:51 PM