Breaking: Boston PD: 3 more arrested in Boston Marathon bombing; Update: Harboring? Update: “College students”; Update: Dumped fireworks-filled backpacks

posted at 11:13 am on May 1, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Nothing more than a tweet from the Boston Police Department;s official account, but that’s spreading like wildfire on Twitter — for understandable reasons:

This makes it seem as though Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev weren’t self-radicalized lone wolves after all.  We’ll update as more information becomes available.

Update: It’s no hack on the Twitter account, either.

We’ll see what the BPD has to say next….

Update: CBS Boston has this report, which doesn’t go much farther than the tweet:

Boston police say three additional suspects have been taken into custody in Boston Marathon bombings investigation.

Their names have not been released.  Police said more details will be released later today.

Earlier today, lawyers for two men friendly with suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev said their clients have been extensively interviewed by federal investigators.

Azamat Tazhayakov and Dias Kadyrbayev, both originally from Kazakhstan, appeared via video for a visa violation hearing in immigration court in Boston on Wednesday.

It may not be these two who got arrested, either.

Update: John Miller at CBS says the arrests are for harboring or aiding the Tsarnaevs after the attack:

That could be the two men and the woman in New Bedford who were initially detained, and who were mentioned in the last update.

Update: According to Boston.com, they are “college students”:

Three college students have been arrested in connection with the Boston Marathon bombings, a Boston police source said this morning.

The Boston police official Twitter account said that three additional “suspects” had been taken into custody.

The source said the three had been arrested by federal authorities.

That would also describe the New Bedford trio, at least two of whom were arrested by federal authorities on immigration violations.

Update: This makes it sound like three other students:

Update: The update from CBS Boston names the two arrested in New Beford the day after Dzhokhar’s capture, however:

According to CBS News, the arrested are three friends of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

Two will be charged with conspiracy to obstruct justice and making false statement. They are not U.S. citizens.

According to WBZ-TV’s Karen Anderson, their names are Azamat Tazhayakov and Dias Kadyrbayev.  Both are originally from Kazakhstan and attened the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth with Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

The third suspect, according to CBS News, is an American citizen and he will be charged with making false statements.

How stupid do you have to be to obstruct an investigation of a terrorist bombing?  Either you have to be monumentally stupid — or involved in the plot.

Update: The Boston PD wants everyone to know that there is no danger to the public:

CNN is also confirming that two of the three are the students from New Bedford:

A Department of Homeland security source with first-hand knowledge of the investigation, said two of them are students from New Bedford, Massachusetts. They have been arrested on charges of making false statements to investigators and conspiracy to obstruct justice.

A third student had been arrested who is a U.S. citizen, the source said.

We’ll see what their obstruction was when charges are unsealed.  According to CBS, the charges are all related to post-bombing activities, but it’s difficult to imagine that anyone would sign up for the plot after the killing took place and it became clear that the FBI and Boston PD were rapidly narrowing the search based on what took place at the marathon.

Update: More from NBC:

Sources told NBC News the three are college roommates of accused bomber Dzokhar Tsarnaev and are suspected of removing items from his dorm at the University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth.

There was no indication they had any prior knowledge of the bombing. Sources said the FBI had been investigating them for about 10 days.

It’s possible that they were stupid enough to sign up for the plot after it took place.  It doesn’t seem terribly likely, though — but prosecutors can only charge what they can prove, too.

Update: Boston’s CBS affiliate has this video update:

There are some good caveats Orr offers, but again, why would anyone lie to the FBI and police days after this bombing on behalf of the Tsarnaevs, unless they had a personal interest in the plot? They could really be that stupid — it’s certainly possible — but it stretches credulity, and I imagine the FBI and Boston PD are thinking the same thing.

Update: The CBS Boston story has been updated to note that the charges will be federal, not state.

Update: According to the Washington Post, the three dumped material at the landfill after the bombings, after Dzhokhar asked them to help him out:

The three were identified as friends of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, who has been charged with carrying out the bombings along with his brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26. The younger brother was a student at the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth, the same school attended by the students at various points in recent months, according to authorities.

Two federal law enforcement officials, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing inquiry, said the three disposed of material at a Boston area landfill at the request of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev following the bombings.

The Boston Police said Wednesday that they had arrested three suspects in connection with the bombing but did not identify them or provide further details.

Last week, federal investigators searched a landfill at New Bedford, Mass., after a tip that evidence had been left there.

I wonder if the FBI ever found what they were searching for in that landfill. They have said nothing about it since the search.

Update: What exactly did they dump? According to CNN, they just helped Dzhokhar get rid of … fireworks-filled backpacks:

– A federal law enforcement official told CNN on Wednesday that the charges against two of the individuals taken into custody involve allegedly lying to officials, because when first questioned by the FBI they lied about not seeing the suspects and not knowing their whereabouts after the attack.

– The federal law enforcement source said the charge of conspiring to obstruct justice relates to their moving things from Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s dorm room and throwing them into a dumpster. The source said the objects disposed of included fireworks inside backpacks. The trash bin subsequently was taken to a nearby landfill. Authorities carried out a two-day search of the landfill in New Bedford late last week.

All right, bear with me here. Let’s say your college roommate asked you to take backpacks filled with fireworks to the dumpster just a day or two after terrorists bombed the city. You might not be bright enough to put two and two together just on that account. But when the FBI shows up afterward, why not just tell them, “Hey, Joe told me to dump some backpacks that had fireworks in them, and I’ll show you where I took them”? Lying at that point is either a demonstration of incurable stupidity or some form of collusion.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

*laughs at self* I forgot to add the important part… WORST presidents…..

Turtle317 on May 1, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Funny how no matter what the trolls say in threads like this, they always sound like they’re rooting for the bad guys.

CurtZHP on May 1, 2013 at 11:41 AM

They are.

Bishop on May 1, 2013 at 11:47 AM

No..I am 100% against Glenn Beck and Alex Jones.
I want to know what really happened – and I trust that the good guys of the various LEA are fully motivated to find the truth.

verbaluce on May 1, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I don’t trust ANYBODY in Federal Law Enforcement, and anyone who says they do is “cowering”.
Lately, there’s been reason to distrust State & Local, but not like the Feds.

Anyone here who ‘listens2alexjones’ will have to speak for him.

Glenn & Co has the inside track on the “whistle-blowers”, and there’s no discredit on him, or his sources.

listens2glenn on May 1, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I think this one has to be scored ‘wait and see’.

PersonFromPorlock on May 1, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I expect that the FBI would have informed each person they questioned as to the reason they were seeking the information.

Translation: The FBI told each of these people before they were questioned that the Tsarnaevs were believed to have bombed the Boston Marathon.

I don’t see a “wait and see” here — other than the usual “innocent until proven guilty” part.

unclesmrgol on May 1, 2013 at 1:52 PM

No one in their right mind and capable of critical thinking would agree with Nobama on anything. The man is a monumental example of failure and stupidity.

jimver on May 1, 2013 at 1:47 PM

The trolls are hard at work seeking some form of validation and vindication around here. Instead of just personally insulting us, they have taken a tack whereby they try dictating to Admin what are ‘proper’ thread topics, and that we should — if we’re ‘fair’ — give Obama some praise.

Something no longer seems as stable as it used to in the psyche of trolldom.

Liam on May 1, 2013 at 1:54 PM

One thing which is clear from perusing their facebook pages – no assimilation going on with these two. I found exactly one person who had an ‘American’ name – a blonde female.

Buy Danish on May 1, 2013 at 1:57 PM

verbaluce on May 1, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Credibility with who? You? I’m laughing.

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I think you loose some credibility in your inability to ever offer a single supportive word for Obama…even when you agree with him. I can’t help but see your emotional dislike of the President as the underlying factor to that which you defend or criticize.

verbaluce on May 1, 2013 at 1:42 PM

In the past, I have said that he appears to be a good father and husband.

I wasn’t here when Bush was in office (always missed registration), but was elsewhere and didn’t say much nice or supportive about him either.

You guys get to emotionally invested in politicians. I loathe them. I am not going to be a fan-girl. Government to me is a necessary evil and those associated with it are to be treated with as much skepticism as possible. Unlike you, I guess I learned the lessons of the 1960s (Never trust ‘The Man’ or ‘The Government’) even though I wasn’t born until 1978.

And on Gitmo…you can only be so much of a civil libertarian when you, without much struggle, are able to defend that disaster. Indefinite detentions and now forced feedings.
I guess there parts of the NDAA you were able to cheer.

As I told you yesterday, I didn’t care about Gitmo under Bush and I don’t care about it now. Indefinite detention is consistent with the law of war, ie, the Hague Conventions. Under constitutional law, the only civil liberty that enemy combatants have is to a right of habeas corpus. The enemy combatants should be happy that Bush was President when they were captured and not FDR. Had it been FDR, they would have been tried before a military tribunal and, if found guilty, convicted within a time-frame of about 12-13 months, INCLUDING AN APPEAL TO THE SUPREME COURT.

I oppose NDAA because of its implications for AMERICAN CITIZENS.

As far as the so-called ‘Muslim World’ is concerned, read:

The Mo Doctrine

(For those of you, who are unaware, “Mo” is a nickname of mine)

Resist We Much on May 1, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I think this one has to be scored ‘wait and see’.

PersonFromPorlock on May 1, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I’m guessing that before they were arrested these suspects were repeatedly asked on several separate occasions …

“Are you sure there isn’t something you want to tell me? Something you may have forgotten and just remembered? Or that you think is unimportant?”

farsighted on May 1, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Credibility with who? You? I’m laughing.

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Liberals always presume they know better. Why, you ask? Because it feels good!

Liam on May 1, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Jabber its that kind of day

cmsinaz on May 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM

verbaluce on May 1, 2013 at 1:42 PM

You are very gullible if you think that hack is an independent. I am yet to see a Republican talking point she hasn’t posted.

She tries to differentiate herself from the other fringe posters by claiming she is some sort of independent libertarian. Only ones who fall for it are the same old posters who do nothing but post attacks on the President every single day.
Rather than enjoy life like most Americans, they go around b*tching and moaning about how they want their country back. Fools.

HotAirLib on May 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM

In the past, I have said that he appears to be a good father and husband.

Resist We Much on May 1, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Your “Republican Hack” license is hereby revoked! :-)

Liam on May 1, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Resist We Much on May 1, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I might also add, although I am UNCLEAR on the exact wording on the “rules of war” as it were under the Geneva Accords, that any combatant captured “out of uniform” as it were, would not even be offered a military tribunal.

The standard practice was to terminate on the spot.

I guess those Gitmo detainees might count themselves fortunate we didn’t adhere to the exact letter of the “rules of war?”

Turtle317 on May 1, 2013 at 2:03 PM

HotAirLib on May 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I don not think that you know what the word “fool” means. For instant illumination, please look in the mirror.

kingsjester on May 1, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Resist We Much on May 1, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Or Obama, for that matter. He just kills ‘em.

He is working hard to keep enemy combatants OUT of Gitmo.

Jabberwock on May 1, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Here you go, Verb, this guy sums up my feelings on the so-called ‘Muslim World’:

What was the Obama administration saying about the Muslim Brotherhood being ‘moderates’ again?

Egypt’s general prosecutor issued arrest warrants Tuesday for seven Egyptian Coptic Christians and a Florida-based American pastor and referred them to trial on charges linked to an anti-Islam film that has sparked riots across the Muslim world….

The prosecutor’s office said in a statement that the accused, which includes the film’s alleged producer, face charges of harming national unity, insulting and publicly attacking Islam and spreading false information. The office said they could face the death penalty, if convicted.

The time has come for us to leave Muslim countries to their own devices. If they wish to civilize, I wish them all the best.

We tried supporting dictators and that didn’t work. We tried supporting democracy, that didn’t work. We tried nation building, and that didn’t work.

Homer Simpson summed it up precisely: ‘WE TRIED OUR BEST AND FAILED MISERABLY.’

The lesson is: ‘NEVER TRY.’

Not caring about what happens in the Muslim world is a cathartic and liberating experience. You should try it.

If a country can’t protect our embassy, the answer is to close the embassy. If a country takes $1 billion of our dollars, and then returns the favor by indicting our citizens for religious “crimes”, then stop giving them money.

If the Muslim world wishes to join the 21st century, I wish them all the luck in the world.

But if they don’t? It’s not my problem. I just don’t care anymore.

I don’t care about nation building in Afghanistan anymore. I don’t care about the Muslim Brotherhood being in power in Egypt anymore. Let al Qaeda take over Tunisia. I. Just. Don’t. Care.

Our foreign policy towards the Muslim world should simply be this: LEAVE US THE F*CK ALONE. IF YOU DON’T, WE WILL UTTERLY ANNIHILATE YOU. We will not invade. We will not depose. We will not nation build. WE WILL DESTROY.

And if after being destroyed you choose to f*ck with us again, WE WILL DESTROY YOU AGAIN…AND AGAIN…AND AGAIN…UNTIL YOU STOP F*CKING WITH US OR YOU ARE ALL DEAD.

YES, THE NUCLEAR OPTION IS ON THE TABLE.

We will put no more American lives at risk to give you freedom. American freedom was won by American blood. Afghan freedom will be won by Afghan blood. Iraqi freedom will be won by Iraqi blood. Etc.

I’ve had it. I’m checking out. It’s not my problem anymore. Call me when you’ve matured. I’m moving on.

So long Muslim world, and thanks for all the fish!

By Rusty Shackleford, Ph.D.

Resist We Much on May 1, 2013 at 2:05 PM

HotAirLib on May 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM

That’s pretty funny coming from someone who’s political belief is to CONSTANTLY change we live.

Jabberwock on May 1, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I am yet to see a Republican talking point she hasn’t posted.

HotAirLib on May 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Yeah, ‘cuz errybuddy knows dat Republicans support dat homo-marriage, drug decriminalisation, legalisation of prostitution in communities that decide they want it, eliminating ALL dat corporate welfare, ‘specially does ethanol subsidies and farm subsidies to dem red states, etc.

Resist We Much on May 1, 2013 at 2:09 PM

HotAirLib on May 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM

kingsjester on May 1, 2013 at 2:03 PM

He’s too busy only coming here during his lunch break. He’s been here for two hours. Some lunch break.

He obviously can’t get enough of getting kicked around by “fools.”

CurtZHP on May 1, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Shall I hold my breath to find your support of Obama’s policies on this issue?

verbaluce on May 1, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Which policy? The:
a) policy to continue per Bush’ss SOFA

b) the policy to completely withdraw

c) the policy to keep 16,000 troops in Iraq until Biden screwed it up and the Iraqis rejected it?

If c, then yes, I supported it. I also opposed his policy to take military action in Libya and explain why doing so, along with drawing a red line relative to Syria has seriously endangered this country, undermined his credibility, and will have long-lasting consequences here:

Syria, ‘Red-Lines,’ and Obama’s Feckless Foreign Policy

Read it. If you do, you might see why you should have opposed it to, especially if you were one of those screaming that Iraq was a ‘war for oil.’

Resist We Much on May 1, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Indefinite detentions and now forced feedings.
I guess there parts of the NDAA you were able to cheer.

verbaluce on May 1, 2013 at 1:42 PM

jimver on May 1, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Obama has NOT been a failure at actually accomplishing what his intentions have always been. That’s what Rush meant after the 2008 election, when he stated, “I hope Obama FAILS.” Unfortunately, Rush’s hopes were for naught.

“Club Gitmo” has been a great success, as a POW camp. To hell with the force-feedings; I say “let ‘em starve.”

You’re not doing a very good job of justifying your judgement of it as being a “disaster.”

listens2glenn on May 1, 2013 at 2:12 PM

cmsinaz on May 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Well, it’s past noon on humpday. So we are now sliding towards a weekend.
Hope tomorrow is better for you.

Jabberwock on May 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Yeah, stupid, complicit…or scared.

PattyJ on May 1, 2013 at 2:16 PM

HotAirLib on May 1, 2013 at 2:00 PM

…criticise her positions on SSM threads, for example.

IfIWereSmartUnlikeHotAirLibIWouldKnowThis on May 1, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Resist We Much on May 1, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Sounding more and more like Joker was not as naïve as leftys make him out to be. Sounding just as involved as bro was. Also sounds more and more that mommy left for Russia because she knew her sons were going to do the dirty. Also wondering when Katherine will be arrested for texting hubby to warn him. The feds can’t let her go when they’re arresting others for obstruction

skeeterbite on May 1, 2013 at 2:22 PM

listens2glenn on May 1, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I should have qualified it that he failed this country, from my perspective anyways. , but you are right, he didn’t fail his hard core socialist nutty base, unfortunately..

jimver on May 1, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Turtle317 on May 1, 2013 at 2:03 PM

But those were the good ole Bush’s times…Obama does now adhere full heartedly to the Geneva convention and the terminate on spot’ ‘provision’ …see his unequivocal engagement in the drone war :)

jimver on May 1, 2013 at 2:31 PM

listens2glenn on May 1, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Now this is just my opinion…
But Glenn is an opportunistic hack. He thrives off of creating and then selling fearful conspiracies. The fact is he delivered nada following his oh so ominous promise to (after giving the government one last chance to tell ‘THE TRUTH’).
He got his site traffic to spike for a few days, but now he’s back to where he was – though he’s satiated the fans. So all’s well as planned for him.
And now I hear he’s very suspicious of the drop in gold.
What does it all mean?
Stay tuned….book to follow.

verbaluce on May 1, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Hey they lived in Cambridge. Hotbed of smartness, oh, and illegal aliens, oh, and welfare mooches, oh, and terrorists. You own it Mass.

jake49 on May 1, 2013 at 3:09 PM

verbaluce on May 1, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Choices, unlike the main stream media who can’t get off the dead azzes if the story looks like it is off their ideological radar, i.e. Benghazi, Gosnell, green energy boondoggles. You should be afraid of who decides what needs to be known.

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2013 at 3:15 PM

But Joe-kar told them not to tell the FBI.

Time for the FBI to frog-march them through the landfill to find those backpacks full of fireworks.

I wonder if they face Mecca when they pray for freedom.

Steve Z on May 1, 2013 at 3:36 PM

We’re lucky all these bastards are just stone stupid. If you and I were planning this, we would have dumped the backpacks full of fireworks nine months ago. Five states away. Not the day after, with the aid of mouth-breathing co-conspirators who can’t be bothered to find a dumpster more than two minutes walk from the front door of the bomber.

TexasDan on May 1, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Shepard Smith at FOX has trouble, like most liberals, getting his head around why young people don’t do the right thing.

First, they are raised to.

Second, society does not reward that kind of behavior. Being a “rat” is worse than telling the truth and saving lives.

Third, and most importantly, THESE idiots are from the same area of the world as the two bombers. They have no problem with what the two did.

It really is that simple. In time, we’ll find out they knew about it ahead of time to.

archer52 on May 1, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Not are, are not raised to.

archer52 on May 1, 2013 at 5:07 PM

We must stop all muslim immigration. That includes student visas, work visas, refugee visas, and green card admission. If this saves the life of a single child, we must do it.

Do it for eight-year old Martin Richard.

slickwillie2001 on May 1, 2013 at 5:17 PM

In the past, I have said that he appears to be a good father and husband.

Resist We Much on May 1, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I even have a problem with that, since it appears that he regularly took his children to hear the lunatic-knuckledragger Jeremiah Wright. That’s pretty close to child abuse, imho.

slickwillie2001 on May 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM

hawkdriver on May 1, 2013 at 12:44 PM
You know…for someone who posts as often as you do…and mostly strident ad hominem…you have odd gripes and sensitivities.
Did my best to answer your somewhat more reasonable challenges directly…I’ll just go back to ignoring you.

verbaluce on May 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Right. Your ad hominems are bit more sophisticated, no? We rubes don’t even know when you’re insulting us. Right?

As to the point, it was fair. You rant on about us jumping to conclusions in the very thread where one of the first comments you made was being dismissive about the liberal wet dream article of all time begging for it to be a white conservative.

Ignore me because you’re a hypocrite? If you must.

hawkdriver on May 1, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Can you really make an explosive like the pressure cooker bomb from the powder in fireworks? I’ve heard it argued both yes and no on the radio. I have no idea, but the argument against is that you’d need a feces-load of fireworks, not just what you can stuff in a backpack.

The Rogue Tomato on May 1, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Sure. The pressure cooker is the key, it can turn relatively slow burning pyrotechics into a bomb by holding back the building pressure until the metal can ruptures.

They bought fireworks that they knew contained the best stuff, likely only removed the mortar charge itself and the flash-bang fast-burning parts. The really-slow burning parts that make the pretty colors would be discarded. That part of the fireworks is not much different from common road flares.

Knowing which fireworks were the best to buy, and taking them apart and extracting the best contents is something they would have either learned by experimentation, or had guidance from aQ types.

slickwillie2001 on May 1, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2013 at 3:15 PM

SparkPlug on May 1, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I would expected that a lot of students were repositioning their fireworks stash after the bombing.

pedestrian on May 2, 2013 at 11:00 AM