Are you ready for President Ted Cruz?

posted at 12:01 pm on May 1, 2013 by Allahpundit

I’m betting that you are.

Politico teased this possibility two weeks ago in a piece about the budding Cruz/Rubio rivalry, quoting one Texas Republican in the know as saying, “The worst secret in D.C. is Cruz is going to run for president, and he’s going to lean in hard against immigration to separate himself from all other 2016-ers.” NRO’s Robert Costa poked around and determined, yep, that’s increasingly plausible:

“If you don’t think this is real, then you’re not paying attention,” says a Republican insider. “Cruz already has grassroots on his side, and in this climate, that’s all he may need.”

“There’s not a lot of hesitation there,” adds a Cruz donor who has known the Texan for decades. “He’s fearless.”…

Cruz’s allies whisper that the 42-year-old attorney, who holds degrees from Harvard Law and Princeton, doesn’t take the groundswell of enthusiasm lightly. Besides talking with conservative grandees, he has called his peers in the legal community and raised the prospect.

“We all see a path, and he does, too,” says a former Cruz colleague. “This isn’t someone who needs to be told the obvious. He didn’t run for the Senate to get cozy, so no one who knows him is surprised that he’s at least looking at it.”

A conservative consultant calls him “the purest of the young conservative senators,” which might as well be Cruz’s campaign slogan given his appeal to the base. What about money, though? Per Costa, Cruz is buds with billionaire Peter Thiel, who’s donated big bucks to his campaigns before, and is reportedly “as good at wooing financiers as he is at wooing the Tea Party.” There’s no shortage of opportunities for wooing either, according to GOP consultant Rick Wilson:

Random thoughts:

1. Love Cruz or loathe him, if you’re a border hawk then this is all to the good as a way to keep Rubio and Paul honest on immigration in the next few months. Until now, the pro-reform Republicans could afford to cheat to the center on the theory that no one formidable would emerge on the right in 2016 to steal conservative votes from them. Yeah, granted, Santorum or someone like him might run and take a hardline anti-amnesty position to charm the base, but no one thinks Santorum’s going to upset Rubio or Paul. Cruz is a more legitimate threat, especially as a Latino superstar at odds with Rubio on his showcase bill, so now Rubio might be forced to tilt back to the right. Which, maybe, explains this.

2. If Cruz jumps in, we could end up with a 2016 field of him, Rubio, Rand Paul, Scott Walker, Bobby Jindal, and Chris Christie. Not one of those guys will have served more than a single term of elected federal office. The oldest of them, Christie, is currently just 50 years old. Whether that’s good or bad, and whether it would have been possible had Obama not won in 2008 as a 47-year-old with not quite four years of Senate experience, I leave to you to decide.

3. Per the second point, if all of them run, we could end up with a primary where the first few crucial states are won with less than 30 percent of the vote. If Christie jumps in, his path is clear: Woo the centrists and hope that the conservatives split. Cruz’s path is the opposite but just as clear: Woo the conservatives and tea partiers and let the others fight over the center-right. The other four are all left with headaches. Rand Paul will clean up with libertarians, but he’s counting on no one running to his right so that he can pile up votes from mainstream conservatives who find Rubio too squishy. Cruz would complicate that. Rubio, of course, would see his brand as the young, charismatic, tea-party-elected Latino star suddenly watered down, which risks reducing his identity to “guy who supported the immigration bill that lots of conservatives hate.” I don’t know what happens to Walker and Jindal, who’ll now be competing against four bigger names with no obvious constituency among Republican voters except as a none-of-the-above choice vis-a-vis the other four. Not impossible to win that way, but given all the ink spilled on the others, it’d be hard.

4. Some of this will depend on whether Hillary runs in 2016. An older Republican who realistically won’t have an opportunity to run in 2020 might feel obliged to try three years from now, no matter how formidable Hillary seems, but none of the guys mentioned above are old. The risk in waiting is that some other Republican might end up running and beating Hillary next time, which means other GOP aspirants won’t be able to run in 2020 either, but that’s okay. Every one of the big six can afford to wait 10 years or more, provided they figure out how to hold office/keep themselves politically relevant during that time. Worst-case scenario: You’re shut out until 2024, when you’re still in your mid-50s but with lots more government experience to tout to voters. Best-case scenario (for you, not for the party or the country): Hillary wins as expected in 2016, and then has to somehow figure out a way to win a fourth consecutive Democratic term in 2020 even though neither party has pulled that off since FDR/Truman. That’s when you pounce. Cruz, Rubio, and Jindal are each so young that not one of them will be 50 on election day 2020.

5. Purely as spectacle, a Cruz run would be nothing but fun. He’s replaced Palin as the media’s chief conservative hate object, so the coverage will be even more acidic than it is for the average righty candidate. (That’ll help him consolidate support among the base in the primaries, needless to say.) If you think the sputtering about Cruz as a neo-McCarthy is intense now, wait until he starts talking openly about running. The fact that he was born in Canada will bring out some Birther stupidity too. And watching him spar with Rubio and Paul will be a treat, partly because it’s not clear yet where he differs with them on various forms of policy. Obviously he’ll go after them on immigration, but he and Paul have been joined at the hip on everything else during Cruz’s time in the Senate thus far. Are there considerable other differences, or will a voter’s preference for one or the other come down to whether you think Rand’s a bit too Ron-like to be a safe choice? And if Cruz does choose to make immigration his main line of attack, how excited do you think establishment Republicans will be after all the post-2012 wooing of Latino voters to see the primaries turn into a referendum on whether the party betrayed conservatism by supporting a path to citizenship?

Exit question: If Cruz does run, how soon will it be before Beltway GOPers start whispering about unifying the party behind one center-right candidate in 2016 in order to stop him? And which candidate will it be? Rand Paul’s going to run no matter what, so even if the rest of the 2016 hopefuls play ball, you’re looking at a three-man field at a minimum.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

For your spite, HAL, RWM shows your pipedreams a big finger too.

Plus, plenty around here do the same. They are way wiser than you pretend to be.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Cruz/Walker 2016

That makes my eyes sparkle!

parteagirl on May 1, 2013 at 12:36 PM

MY thoughts exactly when I read the lineup. I worked on validating the names of the recall election.

Both are winners.

What a team. *sigh*

avagreen on May 1, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I for one hope he doesn’t and it has nothing to do with him or his politics; it has to do with us. As a party/movement we were rightfully concerned about Obama’s birth status, if we now turn our backs on that very same issue because we like the candidates politics, then it makes us appear to be shallow and without principles.

The most important thing you can have in politics is a sense of fairness and playing by the rules you seek to impose; political beliefs aside.

Tater Salad on May 1, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Almost got fired for laughing so loud at this headline.

Allah- How about a Are you ready for president Keith Olbermann? Lololol

HotAirLib on May 1, 2013 at 12:10 PM

The left will tell you who they’re scared of.

Yeah. The left has lots to fear. Keep laughing, please.

kim roy on May 1, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I like him, but not sure he’s electable.

nonpartisan on May 1, 2013 at 12:11 PM

That’s true. We could always run McCain and Romney again. I was told they were electable.

kim roy on May 1, 2013 at 12:45 PM

kim roy on May 1, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Won an “unwinnable” election. (He didn’t listen.):)

avagreen on May 1, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Northeast Republicans are always looking for the “Great Yankee Hope”.

William Eaton on May 1, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Instead they always get a great dope.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 12:45 PM

kim roy on May 1, 2013 at 12:45 PM

You forgot Dole :)

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM

barry strangewater 2.0

sesquipedalian on May 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM

“Let’s see…. Ivy league educated. Hispanic. Smart as a whip. Hard conservative. Fearless. Experienced in government. There’s more, but that’s off the top of my head.”

The only negative I see there is “Ivy league educated”.

rjh on May 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Glee must be wearing off.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Cruz gets my vote. I like Paul, Jindal, Walker and Rubio. Paul and Rubio have a couple strikes against them, but their batting average is still in the arena of all stars.

Remember the 2012 nomination? It’s funny to see how things turn so fast. Perry, and Newt were blasted by Romney for being soft on immigration. I wonder how that will play out for Rubio, and the others. I have a feeling Cruz does not have the same backing that Romney did.

I wonder what Paul Ryan will do? He could would be a factor if he decided to run. He sits somewhere between Rubio and Jeb Bush. He’s an establishment type but he has a touch of tea party in him (or at least appears that way).

Cruz/Walker
Cruz/West
Cruz/Jindal

ritewhit on May 1, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Unlike you who sits by the computer launching ineffective childish attacks all day on HA, YES I DO have a job.

You must not do much at work if you follow me on Hot Air all day as I make my childish attacks.

As I have mentioned numerous times on this blog, I only come here during lunch on weekdays and weekends when im bored.

I’m flattered you follow my comments but I must apologize for not following you. I had no idea when you comment, or that you have no life on the weekends.

Some of us still need to work to pay the government amenities you unemployed/ retired old tea partiers are enjoying.

HotAirLib on May 1, 2013 at 12:35 PM

So quit commenting and get to work. Work during lunch to impress your boss. You need a promotion so you can pay more taxes.

darwin on May 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Tater Salad on May 1, 2013 at 12:42 PM

c’mon Tater, I know you can’t believe Cruz will get the pass Obama does. If that issue is removed where are you? You are like a reverse birther with that take. Remove a great candidate based on…?

DanMan on May 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM

GWB went to Harvard and Yale. Didn’t matter — Molly Ivins drew up the “Bush Iz Stoopid” narrative in 1994 because she was mad about her pal Ann Richards losing her re-election bid, and the national media ran with it.

The big media and the Democratic divide Republican presidential hopefuls into the ‘stupid’ or ‘evil’ category. As of this moment, it looks like the default spin on Cruz is going to be to lump him into the ‘evil’ pile, as sort of the Latino Dick Cheney. But to them, either demonization option remains open, at least now through the 2014 midterms.

jon1979 on May 1, 2013 at 12:37 PM

GWB was a legacy guy (father, grandfather went there…etc). Bush also was not very articulate and was poor at giving speeches. Bush also did not graduate near the top of his class. Cruz is aggressive and articulate which makes him harder to attack with facing retaliation. Cruz will fire back, something that our “Neville Chamberlain” GOP elite don’t seem to understand. You don’t win by trying to be liked, you win by being feared by your enemies. McCain wants to be liked and look what it got him? Reagan was “evil” and look what it got him…and for the conservative cause.

William Eaton on May 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM

That is the danger….in that case we should Jeb Bush does run so he and Christie can split the establishment, rino, and old good ole boy geezer vote. My fear is all those goof ball primaries in the northeast will go to Christie, despite the fact that none of those states will go GOP in the general election no matter who runs.

Northeast Republicans are always looking for the “Great Yankee Hope”.

William Eaton on May 1, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I don’t think Jeb can get much establishment support. Even they are aware of the baggage associated with the Bush name at this point. There’d have to be no one else for them to throw their money behind for him to get serious attention. OTOH, Christie is so abrasive that he may have trouble getting establishment support as well. It’s possible that such a thing is Jeb’s way inside. Or we could be looking at months of watching Mitch Daniels at the center podium in the debates.

Disclaimer: I voted for Daniels twice for IN Governor, and overall I think he did an excellent job. I would’ve voted for him again. But I don’t think he’d make a good President, and I think he’d make an even worse Presidential candidate.

Chris of Rights on May 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM

nonpartisan on May 1, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Apparently not, Obama was in the Senate. He doesn’t even know how to answer a phone call from his ambassador.

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Very nicely done, Miss Cindy.

kim roy on May 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM

HotAirLib on May 1, 2013 at 12:35 PM

So you aren’t going avail yourself of the Ponzi scheme in your golden years?

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2013 at 12:49 PM

sesquipedalian on May 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM

its back!

DanMan on May 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM

HotAirLib on May 1, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Get going, then. There’s some wealth you need to share.

kim roy on May 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Cruz/DeMint
Cruz/Scott
Cruz/Palin…just to unnerve the most
Cruz/Brewer

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 12:51 PM

kim roy on May 1, 2013 at 12:45 PM
You forgot Dole :)

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Yep or another Bush would be sweet also. :)

melle1228 on May 1, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Much as I like Cruz…We need him in the senate…or maybe appointed to the Supreme Court by the next GOP President.

I’d prefer a candidate with executive governing experience.

If he is the best likely candidate…He’ll have my vote.

workingclass artist on May 1, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Hopefully if both Paul and Cruz enter, once the primaries are near and apparent of them has the edge of the other, the other can back out to avoid splitting the vote and nominating Rubio, Christie or Jeb.

Mike Lee is another senator who doesn’t get the attention for 2016 I think he needs.

midgeorgian on May 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM

its back!

DanMan on May 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I’ll get some more newspaper.

CurtZHP on May 1, 2013 at 12:52 PM

kim roy on May 1, 2013 at 12:45 PM

You forgot Dole :)

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Who?? ;)

kim roy on May 1, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Hopes dreams and wishes…

Would that he will run, would that he stays TRUE to his words…

Cruz.

Scrumpy on May 1, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I’d prefer a candidate with executive governing experience.

If he is the best likely candidate…He’ll have my vote.

workingclass artist on May 1, 2013 at 12:51 PM

No we need him in the White House…..

If the dems are running Hillary – the Cruz missiles will strike hard!!!

redguy on May 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM

The only negative I see there is “Ivy league educated”.

rjh on May 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Yeah, I know. It does take the liberal talking point of “dimwit” off the table since they hold educational inbreeding in such high regard.

kim roy on May 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM

workingclass artist on May 1, 2013 at 12:51 PM

You don’t think we can’t find another good conservative in Texas to be in the Senate? How much longer does Gov. Perry have in office?

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Work harder HAL.

Socialist/commie Utopia needs to be funded!!!

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I’m shocked that the leftists aren’t arguing more how Cruz is “born in Canada”. That’ll be hilarity pure.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 12:57 PM

This guy’s been a senator for ten minutes. He’s obviously very ambitious and thinks he’s someone special. He’s a minority. IOW, he reminds me of our current worthless POTUS.

But Obama is Mr. Likeability, although his appeal has always been lost on me (and many others). Still, he’s ridden the cool and likeable vibe to two presidential terms. Rightwingers may love Cruz, after all, he likes to shoot his mouth off like Palin. He’s clearly a lot smarter–that’s a low bar–but like Palin he’s not exactly the type of personality to win over voters who aren’t part and parcel of the Republican base. The voters a candidate needs to win nationally. He could use an intensive Dale Carnegie course.

Fine by me if he runs, it would be fun to watch him annoy the libs. But this post is just AP’s way of revving up the TruCons, like he enjoys doing with Palin, for perverse entertainment.

Meredith on May 1, 2013 at 12:58 PM

workingclass artist on May 1, 2013 at 12:51 PM

The USA/world needs him more than Texas, not discounting what you said about the SC.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I think they are just holding their fire, they plan to use it on either Cruz or Rubio when the time is right.

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I’ve been ready since 2008!!!

He is the one we’ve been waiting for!!

bluefox on May 1, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Meh, the hypocritical azzes are done on that one.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Meredith on May 1, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Thanks for sharing.

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Thanks for sharing.

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Maybe we can see some Romneybot on Romneybot action since Blugill loves Cruz and Meredith hate him. :)

melle1228 on May 1, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I’d prefer a candidate with executive governing experience.

If he is the best likely candidate…He’ll have my vote.

workingclass artist on May 1, 2013 at 12:51 PM

No we need him in the White House…..

If the dems are running Hillary – the Cruz missiles will strike hard!!!

redguy on May 1, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Well…you could be right.

If Benghazi hearings develop as they should…it will destroy any chance for Frau Clinton.

But if the country wants to follow one historic presidency with another…Then Sen. Cruz is well positioned.

I’m just sayin that we seem to have so few in congress willing to go to bat for the US Constitution…and none of them know how to express Constitutional law to the public as well.

All in all Ted Cruz freaks out the Statists on either side of the aisle…In that he has made Texas proud.

Cruz aint’ a squish.

workingclass artist on May 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Meredith on May 1, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Whew!

I needed that cold water thrown in my face.

avagreen on May 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM

HotAirLib on May 1, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Do you have “Yes, we can” tatooed on your forehead yet?

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Chris of Rights on May 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I don’t know Christie is such a alpha that I think he will simply bitch slap moderates and rinos into voting for him in the northeast. I understand your point though and it is possible.

Disclaimer: I despise Christie but I do not underestimate his intelligence to ram his way to victory if the field is crowded.

William Eaton on May 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I am so much happier with the 2016 field than I was with the 2012 field. Romney was the only one who stood a chance. It seems to me that all the GOP candidates will have a chance if amnesty fails.

By the way, Romney and Michelle Bachmann were the only two candidates last time whose platforms were good on amnesty. (Santorum was horrible.) I would like to the most conservative candidate on immigration win in 2016. Though I don’t agree with him on everything, I would love to see a President Cruz.

thuja on May 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Meredith on May 1, 2013 at 12:58 PM

You mean kinda like you enjoy doing by bomb throwing words like “true cons.”

melle1228 on May 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM

nonpartisan on May 1, 2013 at 12:11 PM

kim roy on May 1, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Sorry, kim roy. Romney already gave his donor list to Christie, LOL
That’s what Levin reported last night anyway.

I think there is a fight going on in the R party trying to decide who is the most “severely” conservative:-)

bluefox on May 1, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Latest rumor is he’s looking to advance within the House instead. If that means he’s breathing down Boehner’s neck then good for him. Hopefully he imposes enough of a threat that it keeps Boehner cautious enough to avoid doing something really stupid… like passing amnesty by coupling a handful of Republicans and lockstep Democrat support, for instance…

Gingotts on May 1, 2013 at 1:04 PM

One of the more common paths to the Presidenc is through a Governor’s mansion. Sometimes with no federal office time. A Governor is more analogous to the function of a President though – while congressional time is often a poor indicator of executive success (different job focus)

krome on May 1, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Meredith on May 1, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Spoken like a perfect establishment/RINO/Mittbot.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Peter Thiel going with Cruz and not Paul would be a tremendous advantage for Cruz.

motionview on May 1, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Romney already gave his donor list to Christie, LOL
That’s what Levin reported last night anyway.

bluefox on May 1, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Eternal azzholes

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 1:06 PM

melle1228 on May 1, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Where is bluegill? Have we not said Palin the requisite number of times?

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2013 at 1:06 PM

workingclass artist on May 1, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I wasn’t thinking about Texas only…I was thinking about the Constitution really.

Cruz…Paul…Lee have proven to be a potent constitutional triumvirate so far.

Rubio…pfffft!

workingclass artist on May 1, 2013 at 1:06 PM

HotAirLib on May 1, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Solution: Stop working, no more of your tax dollars go to those you hate.

Bonus: Collect welfare, deprive said hated of their entitlements. Isn’t that how liberal economics works?

nobar on May 1, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I love Cruz. Not only is he damn smart (and not “affirmative action smart”), a true constitutional scholar, but he has incredible energy. This guy doesn’t miss a beat. The Progs are already after him and will be resorting to out and out lying in short order.

itsacookbook on May 1, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Cruz has DeMint on his side.

He also has the USA on his side.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Cruz will never be President.

Getting the hype from those that poison everything hardly insures a bright future.

But hey, you got Obama two terms. Might as well get Hillary Clinton, or whatever commie the left wing crazy override her with this time, two terms. At least you are consistent.

Moesart on May 1, 2013 at 1:08 PM

thuja on May 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM

So far, I agree with all he’s done. His voting record is all Pro-America on all of the issues.

What convinced me to support Ted Cruz is that he was defending the rights of America long before he ever became Senator. In Texas and at the U.S. Supreme Court. He even took on GW Bush and the U.N. and won!!

bluefox on May 1, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Where is bluegill? Have we not said Palin the requisite number of times?

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2013 at 1:06 PM

sesqui

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Where is bluegill? Have we not said Palin the requisite number of times?

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Maybe we have to say it five time in front of the mirror. :)

melle1228 on May 1, 2013 at 1:10 PM

If you’re in or near FL, partake.

“Rubio is a fraud” from the host who supported him, when he was way down.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 1:11 PM

BTW, I believe the Palin article referenced above says that she is believed to be residing in AZ.

As a rebuttal to that (emphasis mine):

“Glad to have been able to invest in some property here…not full time residence but to get to come thaw out here is wonderful,” said Palin. “Great people around here.”

Chris of Rights on May 1, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Meredith on May 1, 2013 at 12:58 PM

ROFL!! You’re ill informed & ignorant to the facts, but funny anyway!!

bluefox on May 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Cruz will never be President.

Moesart on May 1, 2013 at 1:08 PM

1: He has a better chance than Gary Johnson ever did.

2: So blind optimism is the way to win?

3: Did you stay home? If so, you got at least 1 term on your conscience.

nobar on May 1, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Ted Rafael Cruz is a natural born citizen. But that won’t stop Birthers from using his nationality as a proxy for their ethnic ire. Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio will both challenge and help the party with regards to Latinos. These two men will and have already drawn ethnic-fire. Ultimately both will move the party toward back to dominance.

It will be funny watching Dems ignore Birthers this time around. Let’s call it Southern Strategy 2.0 – south of the border edition.

Capitalist Hog on May 1, 2013 at 1:14 PM

This is his campaign slogan, way beyond the base

“Democrats don’t like him, but Republicans really can’t stand him” — Jonathon Capehart

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM

How much longer does Gov. Perry have in office?

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Gov. Perry is playing his cards close to his chest so far…

workingclass artist on May 1, 2013 at 1:16 PM

This is his campaign slogan, way beyond the base

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM

And that is one of the reasons I absolutely love him…

melle1228 on May 1, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Tater Salad on May 1, 2013 at 12:42 PM

The most important thing is to have someone defend the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights. And Ted Cruz does that and does is brilliantly.

That was his career prior to being elected Senator and he is continuing to do so.

bluefox on May 1, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Yessir, I am.

totherightofthem on May 1, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Sen. Ted Cruz waltzed onstage in a surprise appearance following the introduction of former Alaskan Gov. Sarah Palin during her CPAC speech Saturday afternoon.

After a formal introduction of Palin, Cruz’s arrival caught many in the audience off guard and he received a warm reception as he praised Palin for driving “the mainstream media bat crap crazy” for her vocal stance on hot button issues and shaking things up as a conservative woman.

Cruz commended the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee for knowing how to ‘pick winners’, referring to her support of several up-and-coming Republicans including Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, and Cruz himself.

“I would not be in the United States Senate today if it were not for Sarah Palin,” said Cruz, reintroducing Palin. Cruz is slated to give the closing speech tonight, a spot Palin held herself during last year’s CPAC.

Palin, whom Cruz referred to as “mama grizzly” in his introduction, equally praised Cruz saying he is a fearless politician who “chews barbed wire and spits out rust.”

Like I said many months ago. So far, only one of the new breed hasn’t gone wobbly on limited government TRUE CONSERVATIVE values. That’s the Senator from Texas mentioned above.

He bares watching. I like to hear the words “fearless” and those attributed about barbed wire that Palin is quoted as having said.

PappyD61 on May 1, 2013 at 1:20 PM

HotAirLib on May 1, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Do you have “Yes, we can” tatooed on your forehead yet?

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM

No. 666.

CurtZHP on May 1, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Chris of Rights on May 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM

William Eaton on May 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Christie is a thin skinned gun grabber & a liberalkissin’ Yankee…

He might as well be a democrat…

Jeb has more of a chance and that’s depressing enough.

workingclass artist on May 1, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Texas Attorney General Gregg Abbot. He’s also wicked smart and very constitutional. Hired Ted Cruz as his solicitor general.

whoever said Cruz needs to take a Dale Carnegie course has never heard him speak. Towards the very end of Rand Paul’s filibuster Cruz got up and gave the very fatigued Rand Paul a 40 break with an off the cuff sermon on the Alamo, Texas soverienty vs the World Court (a case he won twice with Obama on team WC in one of them and Bush backing the WC btw), crime and victims rights. It was very stirring for those of us that knew the subject matter in the World Court case.

DanMan on May 1, 2013 at 1:23 PM

The RNC lives in fear of a real conservative getting in the race and wining.

The RNC……….The seat of the Bush power apparatus in the party.

I loathe the RNC and the pathetic, pansy ***** lilly livered leadership in the gop.

PappyD61 on May 1, 2013 at 1:24 PM

bluefox on May 1, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Eternal azzholes

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Can’t disagree with that. You know the RINOS are beside themselves about Cruz. I bet they can’t sleep or eat. What can we do? What can we do? LOL I love that they are worried and miserable.

Go Ted Cruz!!!

bluefox on May 1, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Ann Coulter said it’s all about height.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Tater Salad on May 1, 2013 at 12:42 PM

The party/ movement didn’t care about the birth status. That was a handful of extremists.

Mister Mets on May 1, 2013 at 1:25 PM

PappyD61 on May 1, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Awesome and was better watching CPAC live too!!

bluefox on May 1, 2013 at 1:27 PM

AP’s analysis is always great. He left out Jeb Bush and forgot DeMint’s huge influence/Heritage on immigration. There is a war going on btw. Rubio and DeMint on immigration, as there s/b.

Cruz will benefit from DeMint.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Cruz fights the left/squishy right like RWM fights HAL.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 1:28 PM

One of the main issues with Cruz is that his temperament is unpleasant.

Those types of people rarely get elected President. And when they do, they lose quickly. See Jimmy Carter.

Mister Mets on May 1, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Before we all go all gaga over Senator Cruz, keep in mind that he is bluegill’s new hero.

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Crap. Good point.

totherightofthem on May 1, 2013 at 1:28 PM

One of the main issues with Cruz is that his temperament is unpleasant.

Mister Mets on May 1, 2013 at 1:28 PM

What an insult to compare Carter to Cruz.

Charlatanic thuggery must be fought fiercely. If Romney would have punched back he’d have won, alas. Silky gloves don’t win in a huge mud fight. The left are always determined to win, at all dirty costs. Wake up.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Mister Mets, sorry, the “wake up” was not for you, it s/b

Wake up America!!!

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Cindy Munford on May 1, 2013 at 12:27 PM

She is sesqui in disguise…that means exactly zero, that she pretends to ‘like’ Cruz.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 1:31 PM

The RNC lives in fear of a real conservative getting in the race and wining.

The RNC……….The seat of the Bush power apparatus in the party.

PappyD61 on May 1, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Let’s scare them some more!! Ted Cruz for President!!

http://jobsgrowth.org/ He has a poll up also, which I took.

bluefox on May 1, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Ann Coulter said it’s all about height.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Anybody shorter than the height of her Adam’s apple is out.

Must be taller than this line to ride.

Capitalist Hog on May 1, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I bet many here will be dissapointed with a Cruz run. He would have to tone down his rhetoric or gain absolutely no traction. Also didn’t he just get in the Senate? I know Rubio and Paul are new to the Senate but at least they have a couple of years on him.

terryannonline on May 1, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I would love for DeMint to be in the mix too, in either the left or right seat. But I’m sure I don’t have to tell the Hot Gas community that WE out here on the fruited plains will have to get him across the finish line. He will get no help from the RINO establishment.

Alabama Infidel on May 1, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Mister Mets on May 1, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Are you saying that because he caused Chuck Schumer to stain his drawers on his first Sunday appearance? Because he gets under McCain’s and Gramnesty’s skin? If Ted agrees with you he’s very gracious. If he wants to persuade you he’ll bring facts. If he catches you lying or making stuff up (see Schumer) he’ll hang you with your own rope.

DanMan on May 1, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Cruz fights the left/squishy right like RWM fights HAL.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Oh, Yeah!! RWM for the Supreme Court!! Cruz for President!!

bluefox on May 1, 2013 at 1:35 PM

One of the main issues with Cruz is that his temperament is unpleasant.

Mister Mets on May 1, 2013 at 1:28 PM

After 44, I think you can throw temperament issues out the window.

Chris of Rights on May 1, 2013 at 1:36 PM

terryannonline on May 1, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I disagree. I think we got killed in the last two elections because of our both candidates being “toned down” i.e., both were too nice to the Democrats. We need a dirty fighter.

melle1228 on May 1, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Cruz/Walker 2016

That makes my eyes sparkle!

parteagirl on May 1, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Too bad they can’t just start out the primary season running on that ticket.

LoganSix on May 1, 2013 at 1:37 PM

One of the main issues with Cruz is that his temperament is unpleasant.

Mister Mets on May 1, 2013 at 1:28 PM

You related to Meredith? LOL

bluefox on May 1, 2013 at 1:37 PM

One of the main issues with Cruz is that his temperament is unpleasant.

Mister Mets on May 1, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Yeah, that’s what people who just had their azz handed to them usually say.

itsacookbook on May 1, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I’d be very happy to have Rand, Marco, Scott or Bobby as prez. But in a run against Shrillary, I think Cruz would be the strongest campaigner.

Cruz/Paul 2016

petefrt on May 1, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Ann Coulter said it’s all about height.

Schadenfreude on May 1, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Wait a minute, her guy is Cristy, and she is concerned about physical appearance?

Alabama Infidel on May 1, 2013 at 1:40 PM

terryannonline on May 1, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Dole.
McCain.
Romney.
All ‘toned’ down their rhetoric after winning the primary. How many of them came home with a victory?
Have you ever considered that one’s obviously clueless interpretation of ‘rhetoric’ is another person’s values and ideas being carried with him to DC to actually represent his constituent’s views?

When a name comes up that makes the trolls and their enablers wet themselves, you got a winner.

RovesChins on May 1, 2013 at 1:40 PM