Stage set for Markey vs. Gomez in MA-SEN special election

posted at 10:01 pm on April 30, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

As optics go, not a bad look for the Republican Party in this usually reliable blue state. Perhaps another young, vibrant military man with an independent streak can surprise everyone there. He’s interesting enough to grab the lead in the Boston Globe, despite the R beside his name:

Will he be the next Scott Brown?

Gabriel E. Gomez, a 47-year-old son of immigrants who became a Navy pilot and SEAL before becoming a private equity investor, won the Republican nomination tonight for the US Senate special election to replace John F. Kerry, bringing a fresh face to a race that had drawn scant interest from an electorate distracted by the Boston Marathon bombings.

Meanwhile, veteran US Representative Edward J. Markey beat fellow Representative Stephen F. Lynch in the race for the Democratic nod in the traditionally blue state.

Gomez is a political newcomer who will face Markey on June 25. He’s about to give an acceptance speech, which I’ll update this post with as soon as I see it.

Always a serious uphill battle in Massachusetts, but it’s worth noting this is a another low-attention special election, which yields the best chances for fresh newcomers like Gomez. I don’t know enough about him to evaluate him as a candidate, but his personal story is certainly impressive, and he’s styling himself as a new generation of Republican, highlighting his immigrant roots and rise to Harvard and the ranks of the SEALs.

Even before the April 15 bombing, the campaign had failed to capture the attention of voters compared with the 2010 special election following the death of longtime Democratic Sen. Edward Kennedy. Former Republican Sen. Scott Brown won the seat, surprising Democrats, but was ousted last year in another high-profile race by Democratic challenger Elizabeth Warren.

A win would help Senate Democrats maintain a caucus edge of 55-45 as they press forward on major issues including immigration and gun control.

Update: This seems like a decent short-form handicapping of the race at this point. We could count on Martha Coakley to goof up enough to lose. Democrats will be wary about making the same mistakes again.

Update: Here’s a primer on Gomez, who is a Northeastern moderate perhaps in the Chafee mold, having supported President Obama in 2008.

Comments

*sigh* Already read this thread.

Axe on April 30, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Gabriel, por favor, muevete de Massachusets!

renalin on April 30, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Democrats will be wary about making the same mistakes again.

As in 2012…

They got their way..
And then they had their feet and arms blown off..

But they don’t care..

As long as Obama comes and comforts them..

All is good.

(do I have the lib mentality about right?)

Electrongod on April 30, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Go Mr Gomez. I don’t want to see Markey for another 6 yrs!

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Where is nonpartisan anyway?

Electrongod on April 30, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Can’t leave pieces behind..
Isn’t that right non…

Electrongod on April 30, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Gomez supported Obama. He may have a shot, but in any way that endears him to national conservatives. Markey is a lame hack. Gomez is has the backstory, optics, zeal, and is a hispanic pro-Obama Republican.

The national GOP wont care. Id still like him to take the sear because the things that scares me most is losing the Supreme Court. We got about a year and a half to hope and pray that none of our guys go down and that by 2014, we will have the senate.

swamp_yankee on April 30, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I voted for Sullivan who is the most conservative of the 3. Gomez is way more liberal than red state democrats. That’s Massachusetts for you.

Wigglesworth on April 30, 2013 at 10:17 PM

evening EG…u got me chuckling on my side of the monitor

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2013 at 10:17 PM

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Evening..

I am just blowing off some steam..

Electrongod on April 30, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Where is nonpartisan anyway?

Electrongod on April 30, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Still nursing his injuries from getting beat down on this morning’s Live Action thread.

Maybe HG needs a new acronym. NSFN – Not Safe for “nonpartisan”.

22044 on April 30, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Electrongod on April 30, 2013 at 10:19 PM

gotta do what you gotta do! We all have those days. More these days than in the past though. I had to up my supply of nerf balls for the TV.

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Maybe HG needs a new acronym. NSFN – Not Safe for “nonpartisan”.

22044 on April 30, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Evening Zip……:) LOL

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I had to up my supply of nerf balls for the TV.

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2013 at 10:21 PM

LOL..

I got to try that..:)

Electrongod on April 30, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Evening CL & EG. :)

22044 on April 30, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Evening CL & EG. :)

22044 on April 30, 2013 at 10:22 P

Two, Two, Zero, Four, Four..
Welcome..

Electrongod on April 30, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Also heard Greta announce the next Benghazi hearing on May 8 during her segment with Trey Gowdy. He’s one of the handful of people in D.C. worth anything.

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Maybe HG needs a new acronym. NSFN – Not Safe for “nonpartisan”.

22044 on April 30, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Electrongod on April 30, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Gomez is a RINO who is trying to be a Democrat-light because he is in Massachusetts. He will win exactly nothing…..i was unimpressed with him on Andrew Wilkow’s radio show. Typical embarrassed by conservatives northeastern Republican.

He is at least as infuriating as Scott Brown….Gomez believes in man made global warming for example.

Anyway, without a major issue like Obamacare to draw attention to the race, and without a lot of us willing to support (with money or time) another phony RINO from MA. Gomez has no chance.

He will probably lose by 20….what am i saying…its an Obama world now….make it 30.

My prediction-
Markey 65
Gomez 35

alecj on April 30, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I wish we could contain Markey’s Marism to Massachusetts.

Charlemagne on April 30, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Oh yeah, i forgot he supported Obama….

Gomez is a complete tool and not even a RINO.

He is a Democrat playing games im not sure even he understands.

Thank you for your service Mr Gomez, but no way.

alecj on April 30, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Where is nonpartisan anyway?

Electrongod on April 30, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I think OFA had to cut his hours to under 30 so they wouldn’t have to cover him under Obamacare.

trigon on April 30, 2013 at 10:33 PM

trigon on April 30, 2013 at 10:33 PM

lol

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2013 at 10:34 PM

trigon on April 30, 2013 at 10:33 PM

lol

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Or, they might have furloughed him because of the sequester…

trigon on April 30, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Trigon….2 for 2 LOL

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Wow, a pro-Obama Republican? Haven’t seen that white whale since 2008. Second look at Scazzoflavia?

crrr6 on April 30, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Trigon….2 for 2 LOL

CoffeeLover on April 30, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I sit here for hours working away on the computer. It’s makes me a little wacky. Now and then that’s a good thing. Mostly… ehhhh.

trigon on April 30, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Two words for y’all in MA…Ted. Cruz.
*evil laugh*

annoyinglittletwerp on April 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Massachusetts Democrats 2008: “Why on earth would you want to vote for the old white guy?”

Massachusetts Democrats 2012: “Why on earth would you want to vote for the old white guy?”

Massachusetts Democrats 2013: “Vote for the old white guy! Vote for the old white guy!”

Bruce MacMahon on April 30, 2013 at 10:54 PM

If any of you out there would like America to continue to produce ANY kind of Energy or utilize the Laws of Physics in ANY WAY —– then Markey has to GO!!

williamg on April 30, 2013 at 11:12 PM

I saw Maddow report this and she about choked at reporting he was a Navy Seal.

So what he’s a RINO. It’s Massachusetts. You want Harry Reid to continue to decide what comes up for vote and what does not in the Senate?

And yes, I expect him to lose. Once again, it’s that place.

Marcus on April 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Republicans need to use the democrats words against them in this match-up. If you vote for the old white guy, you are a racist.
Every single criticism of Gomez should be broadcast as racism.
White man keeping the minority down, Its white racists. A vote for Markey is a vote for continuing racism. Hit them with it every day.

lonestar1 on May 1, 2013 at 1:58 AM

I voted for Gomez because he has the best chance of beating Markey. There’s no way a Tea Party guy like Sullivan would EVER when a general election here, despite the wishes of national republicans (and myself, too).

It’s Massachusetts, for crying out loud. You take what you can get, even if all you can reliably claim to get is a vote that’s not in Harry Reid’s pocket 100% of the time.

jr.ewing.78 on May 1, 2013 at 5:40 AM

Well, OK, all you “real conservatives”… what advice do you have for a Massachusetts conservative who voted for Sullivan, the most conservative candidate and lost yet again.
A) Vote 3rd party for ?
B) Vote for Gomez for the optics and the numbers in the Senate
C) Move to New Hampshire
D) Stay home and whine about RINOs on hot gas
E)?

rhombus on May 1, 2013 at 6:06 AM

Having supported President Obama in 2008????

I’d vote for ANY THIRD party candidate or leave the ballot blank. Why vote for a Hispanic Socialist over a rabid old reliable like Mahhkey?

#nerepublicanfail

#nomorerinos

#demshatehispanics

PappyD61 on May 1, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Edward Markey is little more than a Democrat political hack which, in Massachusetts is a resume enhancement. You’re looking at a state that elected Elizabeth Warren over Scott Brown, there’s no hope for people who vote like that.

bflat879 on May 1, 2013 at 7:38 AM

This is a state that just elected Elizabeth Warren…

BigWyo on May 1, 2013 at 7:39 AM

This is a state that just elected Elizabeth Warren…

BigWyo on May 1, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Scott Brown would be a blessing over Gomez. And Markey is farther left than Warren. I am so disgusted – this may be the first time I don’t even vote.

Money won out on the Republican side – and I’d be very interested to find out where the $$$ came from because it was a constant barrage of Gomez ads with little substance except for ‘ex-Navy seal’ and ‘patriot’. That’s what people bought into. You didn’t even have to scratch the surface to see he was a dem – not dem-lite but a democrat who supported Obama – and people didn’t bother to look.

We are the dumb state!

unaffiliated on May 1, 2013 at 8:05 AM

After the disappointment of the utterly useless Scott Brown, and his subsequent defeat at the hands of lying-cretinous scum like E. Warren, I couldn’t care less about Massachusetts or any election there.

The Bay State, like the rest of the Northeast, could slip into the Atlantic and the US as a whole would be improved.

SAMinVA on May 1, 2013 at 8:25 AM

A) Vote 3rd party for ?
B) Vote for Gomez for the optics and the numbers in the Senate
C) Move to New Hampshire a free state
D) Stay home and whine about RINOs on hot gas
E)?

rhombus on May 1, 2013 at 6:06 AM

Move out of New England. Seems to be the only option. Try something more southerly. (Or, if you prefer being cold, try the Dakotas.)

makattak on May 1, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I live in MA, voted for Sullivan, and am constantly amazed by one thing: the residents of the Commonwealth don’t like many of the things the Democrats have done, yet they won’t vote for Republicans. Do you think raising the sales tax and the Pike tolls was popular? But, the voters refuse to actually look at what Democrats do. They refuse to factor in corruption and waste into their votes.

“We” deserve what we have: a pathetic economy that only a Democrat could love.

As for Gomez, I can’t vote for him. I actually gave money to Scott Brown once, then watched him disappoint me over and over. When he ran for the full-term, I gave him nothing. Why would I? So he could take my money and vote like Claire McCaskill? No thanks. I did vote for him though.

Gomez is to the left of Brown. Markey is to the left of reason. He’s nuts.

As an ardent/certifiable socialist, Markey represents this State perfectly. While I won’t vote for him, I can see no reason to vote for someone who voted for Obama. I would buy Gomez dinner for his service to our country. I laud him and am thankful for him.

Vote for him? Not a chance.

diplomatsteve on May 1, 2013 at 9:41 AM

makattak on May 1, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Thanks for the advice. No, I don’t prefer being cold and will probably end up being a snowbird between NH and… Florida? Got any better snowbird locations with better weather?

rhombus on May 1, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Markey is a totally worthless, environmental control freak. And maybe Gomez won’t vote straight Democrat everytime. But I’m keeping my wallet shut after being burned supporting Scott Brown. Let the GOP ‘leadership’ support Gomez. Would be interesting if Brown runs to represent New Hampshire. I’ll be trying carpetbagger McAwful from becoming gov of VA!

Bob in VA on May 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM