Open thread: Obama presser at 10:15 10:30

posted at 10:01 am on April 30, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

What might be the topic that actually prompted Barack Obama to make a rare appearance at an open presser?  Perhaps he wants to try his stand-up routine from the White House Correspondents Dinner on the daytime TV crowd.  More likely, Obama wants to push his budget priorities and push back against the sequester — the same as when he last held an open presser, on March 1st:

Part of this sudden desire to talk has to be the sudden criticism from fellow Democrats that Obama once again gave away his leverage on the sequester, this time with his signature on the FAA funding fix:

Democrats are frustrated that the White House still seems to think Republicans are going to come to the table and reverse the sequester. But from the 2011 supercommittee to refusing to go over the fiscal cliff on New Year’s Eve 2012 to last week’s air-traffic-control furlough fix, the administration has caved on every pressure point it designed.

Instead of taking a political risk and keeping pressure on Republicans, White House officials are banking that a series of dinners with GOP senators will foster enough good will to produce legislation.

“The easier, smarter way to do it is to eliminate the sequester and replace it with good policy, balanced, fair, sensible policy, including smart cuts, including smart entitlement reforms, including tax reform that generates revenue that can be applied to deficit reduction,” White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said Monday in response to a question about the FAA bill, which will allow the agency to move more than $250 million in funds to prevent the air-traffic-controller furloughs that resulted in flight delays across the country.

Of course, Carney has been saying pretty much the same thing in most of his news briefings since November.

Expect Obama to say it himself today too, but don’t expect it to have much more impact.  As Glenn Reynolds writes in USA Today, Democrats lost the sequester fight and have made themselves the Chicken Littles of budget discipline:

The whole sequestration gambit has failed, to the point where even the Washington Post’s Ezra Kleinadmits that “the Democrats have lost on sequestration.” The idea was that even the comparatively minor cuts in spending caused by the sequester would be so painful that voters would demand higher taxes rather than endure cuts in spending.

Problem was, when the spending cuts came, nobody noticed. This led the Obama administration to try to up the pain by focusing cuts in places where people might feel the pain: canceling White House tours for schoolchildren, or furloughing air traffic controllers.

That didn’t work either. The tour-canceling just looked mean, and the problem with targeting air travel is that members of Congress, and their top donors, fly a lot. Huge bipartisan majorities in Congress thus quickly passed legislation forcing the FAA to make cuts elsewhere instead.

The whole thing was a bust, and has me thinking that someone in Congress — or, if he’s smart, President Obama — ought to propose more across-the-board cuts as a means of addressing our swollen deficit and national debt. Critics of across-the-board cuts always say that we should make “smart cuts” instead of using a “meat axe.” But the reason why we have a ballooning national debt is that our politicians are clearly incapable of making “smart cuts.”

Hell, they’re usually incapable of any cuts at all.  We can’t even get them to stick to reductions in the rate of spending increases, let alone real spending reductions.

Obama will probably want to stick to budgets and slamming Congress over its general meany-ness in not embracing the spendiest budget in history.  Perhaps the press might take the opportunity to ask about a couple of other topics.  If so, the Boss Emeritus has a few suggestions:

Update: It’s been pushed back to 10:30, according to ABC News.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

You’re an idiot. Only members of the press with WH credentials are allowed to attend Presidential press conferences.

As for getting answers and your willingness to always give Obama a pass, you just prove that you are a despicable, hypocritical ObamaFirster. I can see why Progressives like Glenn Greenwald, who do truly care about civil liberties and the truth, can’t f*cking stand you.

Resist We Much on April 30, 2013 at 1:22 PM

First…you’re idiotically taking too much literally.
Chill?
You think I was suggesting Malkin, Jones, Beck would be allowed within a mile of a WH briefing? Or that their rhetoric would have any place in any serious discussion…about anything??

Second…much as that what’s you need to believe to feel yourself somehow rational when it comes to Obama…I am fully capable of being critical of the guy. You though, indeed would never give him a pass and are behaving today like a ObamaLaster. What’s your Obama-gripe-of-the-day? Guantanamo? Where’s your legal eagle mind on that clusterf*uck? No…you’re too concerned what some would call a ‘victory’ for Obama vs. what others would call (and cheer) a failure?
Bush/Obama/Cheney/Graham.Malkin…who cares.
Guantanamo is at a minimum an outdated failure…useless.
Obama said it…so I suppose you’ll have to disagree.
ObamaLaster rules say so.
Or…am i wrong…and do you agree with Obama (and Glenn Greenwald).

verbaluce on April 30, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Schadenfreude on April 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM

If only your words could be as substantive as they are colorful.

verbaluce on April 30, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Twenty six is a child? I had a child of my own when I was 26. Gee, We could have saved a lot of money if I could have stayed on Mommy and Daddies insurance for my Pre-Natal…

sandee on April 30, 2013 at 11:34 AM

By August 4, we will have twice a child running our country, when Obama turns 52.

Steve Z on April 30, 2013 at 3:02 PM

If, by “HOME”, he means Kenya, Illinois, or Hawaii. By all means, yes. He probably meant just stomping off to the private quarters of the WH. To him that IS home.

hawkeye54 on April 30, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Why doesn’t he go home to where he spent his formative years, in Indonesia? He can recite the Muslim creed to his heart’s content. We the Taxpayers will be super generous and give him a special passport and a one-way ticket…

Steve Z on April 30, 2013 at 3:07 PM

He[Biden]’s a dummy, as is Obama, but he doesn’t hate the land and her people.

Schadenfreude on April 30, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Except his neighbors in Delaware, who own slaves and his wife will blow them away with a double-barreled shotgun.

Steve Z on April 30, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Beware what you worship.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on April 30, 2013 at 12:44 PM

That’s stony, right there.

Axe on April 30, 2013 at 3:17 PM

If only your words could be as substantive as they are colorful.

verbaluce on April 30, 2013 at 2:32 PM

And that’s irony. :)

But, what does this mean:

ObamaLaster

. . . I’m trying to keep up.

Axe on April 30, 2013 at 3:19 PM

check

Resist We Much on April 30, 2013 at 6:18 PM

verbaluce on April 30, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Dude, I didn’t vote for Bush/Cheney and I CAN’T BLOODY STAND GRAHAM & INSANE. In fact, I probably loathe them as much as I do Obama.

My positions have been completely consistent throughout both administrations. Gitmo is just one of many flip-flops that you Obama Firsters have excused.

Patriot Act?

Drones?

New military entanglements?

Fine.

Warrantless searches of homes?

Fine (see the administration’s amicus brief in Kentucky v King).

Government tracking of credit card usage in real time and without a warrant?

Fine. (See DOJ’s Hotwatch programme)

Government tracking automobiles without a warrant because, as Eric Holder said, ‘Americans have NO expectation of privacy of any kind in public’?

Fine.

Government ability to demand any and all customer information from financial institutions?

Fine. (See Dodd-Frank and DOJ’s rulemaking)

Government tracking of internet history and review of emails and purchases without a warrant?

Fine.

Government demanding “election communication transactional records” from third parties without a subpoena?

Fine. (See Hogwatch)

Government not being required to show probable cause and obtain a search warrant or subpoena to track cellphones?

Fine.

Tremendous explosion in deficit spending?

Fine.

I could go on, but that should give you an idea of all of the things that Bush never did, Obama is doing, and of which you are either ignorant or hypocritical.

I give no politician a ‘pass’ because politics isn’t a game to me. I hate the government and want it out of my life. My participation is to ensure my protection. Not to win or gain power for power’s sake.

Resist We Much on April 30, 2013 at 6:19 PM

verbaluce on April 30, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Dude, I didn’t vote for Bush/Cheney and I CAN’T BLOODY STAND GRAHAM & INSANE.

My positions have been completely consistent throughout both administrations. Gitmo is just one flip-flop that you Obama Firsters have excused.

Patriot Act?

Drones?

New military entanglements?

Fine.

Warrantless searches of homes?

Fine (see the administration’s amicus brief in Kentucky v King).

Government tracking of credit card usage in real time and without a warrant?

Fine. (See DOJ’s Hotwatch programme)

Fine.

Fine. (See Dodd-Frank and DOJ’s rulemaking)

Resist We Much on April 30, 2013 at 6:20 PM

verbaluce on April 30, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Dude, I didn’t vote for Bush/Cheney and I CAN’T BLOODY STAND GRAHAM & INSANE.

Patriot Act?

Drones?

New military entanglements?

Fine.

Warrantless searches of homes?

Fine (see the administration’s amicus brief in Kentucky v King).

Government tracking of credit card usage in real time and without a warrant?

Fine. (See DOJ’s Hogwatch programme)

Fine.

Fine. (See Dodd-Frank and DOJ’s rulemaking)

Resist We Much on April 30, 2013 at 6:21 PM

verbaluce on April 30, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Fine. (See Hogwatch)

Fine.

Tremendous explosion in deficit spending?

Resist We Much on April 30, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Anybody ask Dear Leader about Pigford..?

d1carter on April 30, 2013 at 8:38 PM

First…you’re idiotically taking too much literally.
Chill?

Bush/Obama/Cheney/Graham.Malkin…who cares.
Guantanamo is at a minimum an outdated failure…useless.
Obama said it…so I suppose you’ll have to disagree.
ObamaLaster rules say so.
Or…am i wrong…and do you agree with Obama (and Glenn Greenwald).

verbaluce on April 30, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Verbaluce, like Crr6, is a nothing sandwich with it’s one-liner insults. I am glad it expands on it’s thoughts every once in a while. It’s at that point when you can see, like any other irrational liberal, it doesn’t have an original thought of it’s own. A cartoon of a talking-point list.

And sweetie, after that meandering rant with numerous improper uses of punctuation, poor grammar, lack of capitalization and generally unhinged keyboard slapping, I’d think twice about getting catty with other’s typos.

hawkdriver on May 1, 2013 at 8:35 AM