Video: World Trade Center to become tallest building in Western hemisphere today … or tomorrow

posted at 2:41 pm on April 29, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Some events we call the end of an era (often hyperbolically). This one we can call the beginning of a new era, and hopefully not overshoot the mark. Today — or possibly tomorrow, depending on the weather — the new World Trade Center tower will achieve its planned height of 1,776 feet, making it the tallest building in the Western hemisphere, a year ahead of the tower’s planned opening:

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

One World Trade Center already is New York’s tallest building.

And when the last pieces of its spire rise to the roof — weather permitting — the 104-floor skyscraper that replaces the fallen twin towers will be just feet from becoming the highest in the Western Hemisphere.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey says the spire pieces plus a steel beacon will then be lifted at a later date from the rooftop to cap the building at 1,776 feet. …

With the beacon at its peak to ward off aircraft, the spire will provide public transmission services for television and radio broadcast channels that were destroyed on Sept. 11, 2001, along with the trade center towers.

Overlooking the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, the high-rise is scheduled to open for business in 2014.

Bad weather today in New York may end up delaying this until tomorrow, but the journey of almost twelve years to answer the 9/11 attacks is almost complete. Terrorists targeted our industry and innovation; we have answered it with even more industry and innovation.

At the same time, we have not forgotten the Twin Towers or the victims of the 9/11 attacks.  Just a few days after the 10th anniversary of the attacks, I went to New York and visited the newly-opened memorial at Ground Zero.  I took photos and video of the site, including the tower which had already begun to dominate the area:

As I said at the time, Always remember.  Never forget. And I’ll add — celebrate our resilience and resolve.

Comments

As I said at the time, Always remember. Never forget. And I’ll add — celebrate our resilience and resolve.

America is dying.

VorDaj on April 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM

1776 feet, how did that get past the liberals, I would have thought they would demand it be 1917 feet.

Bishop on April 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM

One would hope that they have installed some really good elevator and backup systems and that it is massively overengineered to withstand trauma.

Because the Religion of Peace™ will, of course, love this new building. And not try anything at all. With lots of leftists cheering them on at every turn.

Vanceone on April 29, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Good to see, should have been completed faster but nobody’s perfect.

abobo on April 29, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Frankly, I think our resilience needs improvement.

Free Constitution on April 29, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Eff that. Sears Tower forevah!

annoyinglittletwerp on April 29, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Not to be a wet blanket, but should the height of the antenna thingy on top really count? Seems like a kind of cheating to me.

On a lighter note, from my Park Slope Brooklyn brownstone, 3rd Floor, the new WTC is obscured by a 100 year-old much room-shaped chimney on a school across the street.. I’m hoping the tippy top of the tower will eventually be visible–the Empire State Building already is…

ParisParamus on April 29, 2013 at 2:47 PM

the new World Trade Center tower will achieve its planned height of 1,776 feet

Empty symbolism wouldn’t impress the Founding Fathers.

VorDaj on April 29, 2013 at 2:48 PM

You see it all the time. What do you think about it?

cozmo on April 29, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Keep an eye on Dubya and the Mossad, you know what they did to the last WTC, right?

Bishop on April 29, 2013 at 2:50 PM

he new World Trade Center tower will achieve its planned height of 1,776 feet

As our Constitution and it’s Bill of Rights are systematically being dismembered.

VorDaj on April 29, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Eff that. Sears Tower forevah!

annoyinglittletwerp on April 29, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Always liked the Sears Tower. Though I do prefer the connected box design. What do they call it now?

The sterilness of the twin Towers is was also appealing.

cozmo on April 29, 2013 at 2:53 PM

NY would send Tsarnaev’s mom to the US Senate before they would elect a Republican.

I don’t care about the tower anymore. What’s the message that it sends? “We can build a bigger tower 12 years later after some lone wolf terrorists, who had nothing to do with Islam, knock them down? Oh, and how about you build a new mosque right down the street. See, outreach. Don’t bomb us again, please.”

crrr6 on April 29, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Obama’s buddies are already making their plane reservations and buying box cutters.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on April 29, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I worked at One World Trade and am never going in that building. I’m never even going to the People’s Republic of NY again. I kissed NY good by a long time ago. Good riddance. The Øppressives deserve each other. Without out Øppressives I have P.E.A.C.E.

Who’s John Galt!

Jayrae on April 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Bishop on April 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM

More like 1933 feet.

coldwarrior on April 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Some events we call the end of an era (often hyperbolically).

Certainly took an entire era to build it. Not exactly the symbol of American resolve they think it is, is it?

squint on April 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Who’s John Galt!

Jayrae on April 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Same here – never looking back. Hopefully, I can live in VA for a while before the progs drive me out of here too.

crrr6 on April 29, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Would have been done sooner if they’d kept the politicians out of it.

GarandFan on April 29, 2013 at 2:58 PM

New endings too. Their heads will be chopped off, by PC alone.

All our heads will go – PC will kill us all.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2013 at 2:59 PM

A hat tip to the men and women who put it up. A prayer for the men and women who were the reason for putting it up.

Limerick on April 29, 2013 at 3:00 PM

USA!!USA!!!USA!!USA!!!

portlandon on April 29, 2013 at 3:00 PM

With the beacon at its peak to ward off aircraft

Was it awful of me to chuckle quietly when I read this? I mean, that assumes the aircraft want to be warded off. I’d feel much better if it said “With an anti-aircraft battery on the top floor….”

Odysseus on April 29, 2013 at 3:01 PM

More like 1933 feet.

coldwarrior on April 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Interesting. 1933 – 1776 = 157.

157 – 100 = 57.

VorDaj on April 29, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Western Hemisphere huh? Well that’s something to strive for…

DarkCurrent on April 29, 2013 at 3:03 PM

In America today Obama’s ‘lecture’, which was an exercise in Faux, is considered “an amazing speech“.

Since 2000 the USA and the world have declined, exponentially. ‘Humanity’ and ‘Civilization’ have taken a huge dive…hurling toward the abyss.

9/11/2001 sped it up, considerably. That Barack Hussein Obama is president, in 2008, and on, tells you all you need to know about the world and her future.

Americans fear their government more than terrorism today.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Western Hemisphere huh? Well that’s something to strive for…

DarkCurrent on April 29, 2013 at 3:03 PM

…because communism, marxism (intentionally with small “m”) and infanticide are soooo much better.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Western Hemisphere huh? Well that’s something to strive for…

DarkCurrent on April 29, 2013 at 3:03 PM

It, with it’s antenna anyway, will be the tallest building in the coming el Grande Mexico del Norte.

VorDaj on April 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM

USA!!USA!!!USA!!USA!!!

China!!China!!!China!!China!!!

portlandon DarkCurrent on April 29, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM

hurling toward the abyss.

Hurling too, but was meant to be hurtling.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Wow, real cheery crowd here today.

As someone that lost my first cousin in Tower One, I’m glad to see them build this. I believe it sends the right message to the people that want to destroy this country. Yes, there are those here that sadly want to do the same thing. Continue to fight them.

After growing up in NY I would never go back. The noise, the crowds, the expense, the taxes, and the idiots in Albany are reason enough. But this building still make me very proud of the people that fought to have it built. Well done.

Agent of the Cross on April 29, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Odysseus on April 29, 2013 at 3:01 PM

It’s actually a giant sign which says “Hijacked-Plane Free Zone!”, and apparently there are puke sprayers up there to help make the building repellent to any potential attackers.

Bishop on April 29, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Calm down. This is just a thread about tall buildings.

DarkCurrent on April 29, 2013 at 3:09 PM

squint on April 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM

For eternal shame the building were not up the next 1-2 years, in the exact replica of what they once were.

PC, may it get to Bloomberg first.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Calm down. This is just a thread about tall buildings.

DarkCurrent on April 29, 2013 at 3:09 PM

1. I’m always very calm.

2. It is.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2013 at 3:10 PM

This is an offense to Muslims. It should never be built.

What we need better, and to spend public dollars on, is a big mosque to celebrate our Muslim friends! /

Liam on April 29, 2013 at 3:10 PM

VorDaj on April 29, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Oh snap!

HomeoftheBrave on April 29, 2013 at 3:11 PM

This is just a thread about tall buildings.

DarkCurrent on April 29, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Western Hemisphere huh? Well that’s something to strive for…

DarkCurrent on April 29, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2013 at 3:11 PM

a year ahead of the tower’s planned opening:

10 years too late

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Bread and Circuses.

VorDaj on April 29, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Always remember. Never forget.

The world changed, forever, that day, not for good.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Yeah, I have the same sort of reaction when I hear things declared ‘日本一!’

DarkCurrent on April 29, 2013 at 3:16 PM

cozmo on April 29, 2013 at 2:53 PM

It’s called the Wills Tower-though native Chicagoans refuse to call it that.
*Go to the Christie thread. I made an announcement.*

annoyinglittletwerp on April 29, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Bishop on April 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Zing! Hey-O!

Sacramento on April 29, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Wow, real cheery crowd here today.

Agent of the Cross on April 29, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I grew up in NY and watched the second tower fall from my office. I like the message of building a taller building too, but it’s hard for us to reconcile the fact that the core of our political opponents (for which NYC is really the epicenter) see us as a greater threat to them than jihadis, who would just as soon blow them all to smithereens.

We just had the first terrorist attack on US soil a couple of weeks ago – an attack that they were openly rooting to be caused by one of us. Now, they cannot even reconcile the fact that the perps were basically less ambitious Mohammad Atta’s. They’re analyzing their motives – really.

I just want nothing to do with liberal so-called Americans anymore. Let them have their USSA with open borders for jihadis to walk right in and continue to blow them up. They can have their little Muslim outreach programs and continue to get blown up because they’d rather abide the death of innocents than force some radical Islamists to give up life-saving information.

crrr6 on April 29, 2013 at 3:20 PM

ONE tower, instead of TWO, with a soon-to-be-built “VICTORY” mosque (terrorist training center) just two blocks away (symbolism is important to our enemies, why is it not important to us?) … obama (a sworn enemy of the United States) and his muslim cabal in the White House; It’s nice to say “NEVER FORGET”, but, it would seem that far too many Americans have already forgotten – and learned nothing from the muslim attacks of 9/11.

Pork-Chop on April 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Agent of the Cross on April 29, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Sorry for your loss that day.

Never assume that others here didn’t lose that day…just saying.

————–

DC, you will never again fool me. Carry on. My work is done with you. Moved on to other cases.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Not to be a stick in the mud but seriously, thirteen years?

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I’m still kind of partial to this design, especially if it faces Mecca. Oh well, too late now.

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2013 at 3:26 PM

We just had the first terrorist attack on US soil a couple of weeks ago…

crrr6 on April 29, 2013 at 3:20 PM

No, it was the 5th successful terrorist attack since Obama is president. After 9/11/01 there were zero for 7 years, under chimpey GWB.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM

13 years later

vcferlita on April 29, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Yeah, sorry, I meant first on US soil since 9/11. I discounted the ones where we were saved only by jihadi incompetence, but since Bushitler prevented 100% of those from even getting to that point, I guess I really shouldn’t.

crrr6 on April 29, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Resilience yes, if it were 2006 or so. In 2013, it’s just red tape.

Erich66 on April 29, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I made an announcement.*

annoyinglittletwerp on April 29, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Oh crap…

9 weeks?

cozmo on April 29, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Hadn’t realized I’d fooled you. I guess it was easier than I would have imagined.

In any case, if you’d prefer not to converse, don’t comment on my comments. Easy as that.

DarkCurrent on April 29, 2013 at 3:39 PM

One day, an Indian tribe will offer the State of NY ~$24.00 in shiny objects for the island of Manhattan, and the state will take it.

BobMbx on April 29, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I always thought it was an ugly building…and then I saw it in person. It’s beautiful.

joekenha on April 29, 2013 at 3:45 PM

cozmo on April 29, 2013 at 3:37 PM

She got her concealed carry permit license.

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Not to be a stick in the mud but seriously, thirteen years?

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2013 at 3:23 PM

NYC. Unions. Tamany Hall. You get the picture.

Odysseus on April 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2013 at 3:46 PM

And Texans are quaking in their boots.

cozmo on April 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Yeah, sorry, I meant first on US soil since 9/11.
crrr6 on April 29, 2013 at 3:33 PM

NO, Boston was the 5th successful one on US soil, since 9/11. Not to discount the other 4, including Hassan.

——–
DC, dont distort and change subject. You didn’t fool me. You fooled a bunch here, until I exposed you to be a shill for China.

I don’t care about conversation or not. When you’re not shilling for China you are eclectic and even a pilot…much much more than most in the world. You just can’t help yourself on the other.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I have found him to be fair when it comes to what is going on in that part of the world and very knowledgeable.

cozmo on April 29, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Gee, and it only took 11 1/2 years. A total embarrassment.

Lizzy on April 29, 2013 at 3:58 PM

a year ahead of the tower’s planned opening

Like others have said, 13 years.
It took only 2 years to build the Empire State building. How far we have fallen.

LoganSix on April 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I was there last summer and though I’d had my doubts, I really liked the look of it. Looks a bit like a watch tower in a fortress. Not to mention a figurative middle finger to all those who try to tear down America.

I found the WTC memorial a little sterile. I much prefered St. Paul’s Chapel, a small church just around the corner that dates back to Revolutionary times (George Washington worshipped there when he was present.) Many of the rescuers and recovery workers sacked out in the pews between their shifts, and since then it’s become sort of a shrine to those lost that day. It’s on more of a human scale than the WTC fountains are.

grahampowell on April 29, 2013 at 4:01 PM

cozmo on April 29, 2013 at 3:57 PM

One does not negate the other. I agree, except not on the “fair”. DC is a leftist from Seattle, who just can’t help himself.

I agree that he’s way smarter than the rest of them…thus, way more balanced and not a troll.

There is a difference btw. ripping the US, while wishing her well, or vice-versa. The left are very much interested in the latter.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2013 at 4:02 PM

1776. A good year for the world.

rob verdi on April 29, 2013 at 4:02 PM

DC, dont don’t distort and change subject

I’m a good spellchecker…after I hit the “submit” button :(

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I thought that was sort of the common perception to begin with?

I’m sorry I don’t recall any particular effort or success on your part to expose the secret me, but if you say so I’m willing to believe.

DarkCurrent on April 29, 2013 at 4:06 PM

DarkCurrent on April 29, 2013 at 4:06 PM

The land you hail from is not bad. That’s all.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2013 at 4:13 PM

cozmo on April 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Just the ones in black hats.

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I had missed your previous kind words S. Thank you.

Now more about me:

I grew up on the north east bank of Thornton Creek, just west of the land of the Xacuabš, where, according to legend, the mighty Thunderbirds used to nest…

DarkCurrent on April 29, 2013 at 4:30 PM

cozmo on April 29, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Me to, although I will never understand someone giving up their citizenship here for anywhere else. But then again I am so bourgeois.

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I had missed your previous kind words S. Thank you.

Now more about me:

DarkCurrent on April 29, 2013 at 4:30 PM

You’re welcome. You’re also very cultured, not as in yoghurt :)

Interesting place to grow up in.

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2013 at 4:41 PM

OT, but my cold, cold heart was warmed by this kid today

DarkCurrent on April 29, 2013 at 5:00 PM

And this one

DarkCurrent on April 29, 2013 at 5:01 PM

DarkCurrent on April 29, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Anyone who can’t have their heart warmed by children isn’t worth knowing.

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2013 at 5:12 PM

And it only took 10 times as long to construct as the Empire State Building.

Progressivism at work.

profitsbeard on April 29, 2013 at 6:25 PM

ParisParamus on April 29, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Well, technically there is “roof height” and then “total height”, with the antenna spire added. The “roof height” for this new building is 1,368 feet.

Del Dolemonte on April 29, 2013 at 6:28 PM

ParisParamus on April 29, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Del Dolemonte on April 29, 2013 at 6:28 PM

If anyone in the Western Hemi tries to trump us on this, I have a 18-foot springbase CB antenna from my uncle’s semi we can tack onto whatever is on top now.

slickwillie2001 on April 29, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Schadenfreude, I’m guessing you missed the memo about not being allowed to be proud of your country anymore.

Shame on you.

hawkdriver on April 29, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Yeah, sorry, I meant first on US soil since 9/11.

crrr6 on April 29, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2013 at 3:55 PM

There have actually been far more than that; it’s just that they don’t get reported by the media as jihadist attacks – all the cases of Muslim cab drivers randomly plowing into crowds of people outside of bars and clubs, for example. Not to mention all of the honor killings, etc.

Regarding the building, I’m glad it’s going up and hope to visit it. I’m just hoping the lib idiots in NYC (where I was born) don’t light it up green for Ramadan like they do the ESB.

WhatSlushfund on April 29, 2013 at 8:09 PM

1,776 feet tall? The symbolism of that seems rather empty in a city ruled by a little dictator for a dozen years.

Reggie1971 on April 29, 2013 at 8:13 PM

With the beacon at its peak to ward off aircraft

Odysseus on April 29, 2013 at 3:01 PM

This was the first thing I thought when I read it too. Screw the warning beacon – all aboard with the anti-aircraft guns.

Free Indeed on April 30, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I’m glad they put it up. It’s like a humongous middle finger to the Islamist world. Try and knock it down again, jihadis, and see how far you get.

RebeccaH on April 30, 2013 at 12:42 PM

RebeccaH on April 30, 2013 at 12:42 PM

We are replacing two buildings with one slightly taller building which has a giant erector set extension to make it seem taller. It is actually shorter if you only include actual usable floor space per square foot of real estate.

Wikipedia quotes. The roof of the top floor of One World Trade Center is 1,368 feet (417 m) tall. One World Trade Center’s official height would be its roof height of 1,368 feet (417 m), making it the third-tallest building in the United States, behind the Willis Tower and Trump International Hotel & Tower, both located in Chicago.

Each Twin tower stood at 1,350 feet (410 m) high. so we got 18 feet more and one building less out of the deal.
As well, the Twin Towers where designed and built in half the time this thing took.

The Chinese are building the “World’s” tallest buildings all over the world right now, especially in the Middle East.

We are now just a third rate as far as buildings are concerned.

Egfrow on April 30, 2013 at 2:38 PM

We are now just a third rate as far as buildings are concerned.

Egfrow on April 30, 2013 at 2:38 PM

You say that like it’s somehow a bad thing. We should be proud of our descent into mediocrity!

Shame on you.