NBA center Jason Collins becomes first openly gay active player in major U.S. sport

posted at 2:01 pm on April 29, 2013 by Allahpundit

Two weeks ago we were writing about a terrorist attack, today we’re writing about gay basketball players. A blogger’s life for me, my friends.

Easy prediction: 75 percent of the public will be casually supportive or casually disapproving but either way almost entirely indifferent. Fifteen percent, including lots of pols, celebrities, and the media, will support him enthusiastically. The other 10 percent will hassle him on the court or from the stands either because they dislike gays or just to spite the 15 percent of “opinion leaders” on the other side. Collins will get a standing O at his first home game next year — if he ends up being signed — and some fans on the road will get nasty with him when he fouls someone too roughly. He’ll do a few ads. Then, after a few months, with rare exceptions, everyone will get bored with it.

By its nature, my double life has kept me from getting close to any of my teammates. Early in my career I worked hard at acting straight, but as I got more comfortable in my straight mask it required less effort. In recent days, though, little has separated “mask on, mask off.” Personally, I don’t like to dwell in someone else’s private life, and I hope players and coaches show me the same respect. When I’m with my team I’m all about working hard and winning games. A good teammate supports you no matter what.

I’ve been asked how other players will respond to my announcement. The simple answer is, I have no idea. I’m a pragmatist. I hope for the best, but plan for the worst. The biggest concern seems to be that gay players will behave unprofessionally in the locker room. Believe me, I’ve taken plenty of showers in 12 seasons. My behavior wasn’t an issue before, and it won’t be one now. My conduct won’t change. I still abide by the adage, “What happens in the locker room stays in the locker room.” I’m still a model of discretion…

Openness may not completely disarm prejudice, but it’s a good place to start. It all comes down to education. I’ll sit down with any player who’s uneasy about my coming out. Being gay is not a choice. This is the tough road and at times the lonely road. Former players like Tim Hardaway, who said “I hate gay people” (and then became a supporter of gay rights), fuel homophobia. Tim is an adult. He’s entitled to his opinion. God bless America. Still, if I’m up against an intolerant player, I’ll set a pretty hard pick on him. And then move on.

The most you can do is stand up for what you believe in. I’m much happier since coming out to my friends and family. Being genuine and honest makes me happy.

Collins technically isn’t the first active player from a big-four sport to be openly gay, he’s the first active player to go public with it. (Glenn Burke, an outfielder for the Dodgers and A’s in the 70s, was out to his teammates and coaches but didn’t announce it publicly until after he retired.) Early reaction is what you’d expect:

The White House:

“Here at the White House we view this as another example of the progress we’ve made and the evolution that has taken place,” press secretary Jay Carney said when asked if President Obama had a statement on Collins. Carney said he had not talked to the president directly about Collins.

And the Big Dog:

Former President Bill Clinton on Monday congratulated NBA center Jason Collins for becoming the first openly gay male American professional athlete.

“I have known Jason Collins since he was Chelsea’s classmate and friend at Stanford. Jason’s announcement today is an important moment for professional sports and in the history of the LGBT community,” Clinton said in a statement.

It’s early yet, though. Someone in some league somewhere inevitably will say something disapproving, whereupon he’ll be shredded in the press until he formulaically apologizes.

By the way: None of this is a surprise, and Collins almost certainly isn’t the the only active big-four athlete who’ll be out by the end of summer. NFL player Brendon Ayanbadejo told the Baltimore Sun on April 5 that “up to four players” were discussing whether to come out on the same day, to take the heat off of each of them individually. There’s been endless whispering in the media over the last month about MLB, the NFL, the NBA, and the NHL preparing for this sort of thing. Advertisers have been preparing too, with Nike practically dangling cash in front of gay athletes to get them to speak up:

Nike asked Welts to deliver a message to anyone thinking about becoming the first openly gay athlete in major U.S. team sports — the company wants him as an endorser.

“They made it clear to me Nike would embrace it,” Welts, 60, now president of the National Basketball Association’s Golden State Warriors, said in a telephone interview. “The player who does it, they’re going to be amazed at the additional opportunities that are put on the table, not the ones that are taken off.”…

“We’ve passed the tipping point to where national advertisers are no longer afraid of the gay market,” said Mark Elderkin, chief executive officer of the Fort Lauderdale, Florida-based Gay Ad Network.

That calculus would be complicated for a superstar, especially in a sport like football, but not for an average aging player like Collins. So this is really just phase one: Now there’s a man on the court whom everyone knows is gay, but who doesn’t draw much attention otherwise. Phase two will be when an all-star, who carries his team, comes out. How much more pressure will he deal with from teammates and fans?

Exit question from DrewM: If people want to boo someone for their personal lives, why not boo these guys?

Update: That was fast. Dolphins WR Mike Wallace apparently tweeted “All these beautiful women in the world and guys wanna mess with other guys SMH…” That tweet’s now gone, per TMZ, replaced by this:

Update: Like I said, the other leagues are preparing.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Well we know who he is *not having sex with.. Anyone with boobs..

melle1228 on April 29, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Well…

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Just read Mr. Collins’ pro stats. How can a gay guy be such a lousy ball-handler?!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM
The who is a guy.
You being obtuse on purpose?
What a stupid comment.

Badger40 on April 29, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Stupid comments are his genre.

It is great to have a main thread like this. All of the trolls and RINOs have been hiding the last week.

It is good to see Verbaluce making his sophomoric dismissive comments about the regular crowds zingers. (Folks, you know it was good if he asks, “Is that the best you can do) Which is funny because his best comeback is normally below par for even our worst commenter.

And it is good to see libfreeordie trying to tell you to mind you own business about the gay community by explaining to you the very depths of the love that you will never understand … but must understand to accept … and must accept to be a morale person … by simultaneously knowing and minding your own business as you’re explained the inner working of the gay lifestyle …

And of course the RINOs that make fun of you because you’re commenting here instead of marching in step like Zombies talking about them getting taxed higher.

These threads must occur. The world needs to know an obscure NBA player’s sexual preference.

hawkdriver on April 29, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Bwahhhahha…

melle1228 on April 29, 2013 at 3:31 PM

first openly gay male American professional athlete

If I were an ice skater, I’d be pi$$ed at not getting that title…

socalcon on April 29, 2013 at 3:32 PM

hawkdriver on April 29, 2013 at 3:29 PM

You missed the other thread where Capitalist hog tried to say that both you and I were closeted gay males. Of course, he didn’t realize I am girl..

melle1228 on April 29, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Is that true? I have no idea.

Badger40 on April 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM

cptacek on April 29, 2013 at 3:33 PM

So what.

multiuseless on April 29, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM

LOL! No pun intended, I’m sure. /

TarheelBen on April 29, 2013 at 3:35 PM

“I have known Jason Collins since he was Chelsea’s classmate and friend at Stanford. “

So…that’s what happened. How many others will we hear from, I wonder? There’s always a cause. Dad’s libido and Mom’s looks…Collins didn’t have a chance.

winoceros on April 29, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Will kissing an opposing player be a “flagrant” foul?

kingsjester on April 29, 2013 at 3:36 PM

hawkdriver on April 29, 2013 at 3:29 PM

melle1228 on April 29, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Link?

hawkdriver on April 29, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I’m with the big yawn crowd. Dont care one way or the other.

“Watching other people play sports is a stupid waste of time”

thuja on April 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Lol. Yes. Commenting with random, faceless people on a random blog on the internet is so much more worth while.

——-

“What would be more shocking is if a WNBA player came out as straight.”

portlandon on April 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Clap Clap. Bravo. Lol

Politricks on April 29, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Bwahhhahha…

melle1228 on April 29, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Couldn’t resist.

;)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 29, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I actually thought Wallaces’ tweet was pretty germane.

I don’t get it. But then I’m not up with all the gay stuff, so I wouldn’t get it.

I do understand the tiredness with everything gay is great. It just is, but I guess society gets to weave off the rails anyway it wishes. And yes, I don’t care what he does in his bedroom, but I sure as h*ll am not going to celebrate it anymore than I celebrate the hetero who does it their way.

It’s their lifestyle, I just don’t care to be reminded by it. In fact, I think what I am uncomfortable with from a “yuck” perpsective, is more that I am supposed to be excited about this, like it is important. You know what? It isn’t. You make a choice, you live with the choice – next chapter.

Zomcon JEM on April 29, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Link?

hawkdriver on April 29, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Here we have another guy who claims not to be gay discussing the sex lives of other men. Hawkdriver can’t be far away. He’s also quite fabu on the issue of mansex.

Just kidding fellas! Loving gay threads does not make you gay.

Capitalist Hog on April 29, 2013 at 1:49 PM

melle1228 on April 29, 2013 at 3:39 PM

…as I’ve posted elsewhere:

I’m ‘hetero’–probably would have more “Pride” if I got more action, though.

socalcon on April 29, 2013 at 3:39 PM

LOL! No pun intended, I’m sure. /

TarheelBen on April 29, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I would nevah crack wise about ball-handling skills or the lack thereof!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 29, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM

You hit that Post Shot beautifully Fair Lady.

ToddPA on April 29, 2013 at 3:43 PM

You hit that Post Shot beautifully Fair Lady.

ToddPA on April 29, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Thanks muchly, Todd!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 29, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Just kidding fellas! Loving gay threads does not make you gay.

Capitalist Hog on April 29, 2013 at 1:49 PM

melle1228 on April 29, 2013 at 3:39 PM

It never works but they continue to use it.

hawkdriver on April 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM

So glaad he decided to put his sex life above the comradery of a team.

So can Sandusky be freed now?

Nutstuyu on April 29, 2013 at 3:48 PM

SO, if he does get signed, will all of his new team bunch up together on the other side of the shower?

kingsjester on April 29, 2013 at 3:49 PM

It never works but they continue to use it.

hawkdriver on April 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Yep.. In this case he was right about one thing;I do like men. Of course, I am a girl so that didn’t really fit his narrative. :)

melle1228 on April 29, 2013 at 3:49 PM

He is soon to be invited to the White House for a game of one on one, maybe he gets to post up Obumma.

hip shot on April 29, 2013 at 3:53 PM

This transgendered lesbian is so happy and joyful (gay).

Nutstuyu on April 29, 2013 at 3:54 PM

So, his announcement of his intention to convert to Islam is delayed?

Missilengr on April 29, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Why are those the only options? You assume that those who disagree will hassle him?

I don’t belong in any category, and I think there are probably others who don’t. It’s deplorable for someone to hold a press conference and proudly announce his sin.

Are we going to see pressers for adulterers or fornicators or who come out and are proud?

Not to mention that Clinton, adulterer and accused rapist, and the Obama administration have given him their stamp of approval.

And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. Though they know God’s righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.
—Romans 1:28–32

Here’s the entire chapter of Romans 1.

INC on April 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Does anyone seriously watch the NBA anymore? Thank God for baseball and football and college lacrosse!

tomshup on April 29, 2013 at 4:01 PM

tomshup on April 29, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I think the ratings are pretty solid.

Zomcon JEM on April 29, 2013 at 4:03 PM

So, Romney’s $10K says no bar of soap will ever again hit the shower floor in the Celtics locker room….
well, unless there’s another player who just hasn’t made his announcement yet….

dentarthurdent on April 29, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Will kissing an opposing player be a “flagrant” foul?

kingsjester on April 29, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Nah, Magic & Isaiah Thomas swapped spit at center court during the NBA finals.

wolfsDad on April 29, 2013 at 4:04 PM

My prediction is that he will face far worse from his opponents on the court.

weaselyone on April 29, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Admitting that you are gay in Iran = bravery
Admitting that you are gay in America = Meh

He’s also more or less at the end of his career. This could be a device to scare teams out of letting him go.

slickwillie2001 on April 29, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Why in the world would anyone care if you are gay? I care if you are a player and win . Other than that STFU I do not care

scboy on April 29, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Nah, Magic & Isaiah Thomas swapped spit at center court during the NBA finals.

wolfsDad on April 29, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Held hands, too.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 29, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Whats the bigger deal: Tebow getting cut or Jason Collins coming out?

RedRobin145 on April 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Based on the 35 minutes I just spent at Sports Clips: 30 minutes on the “happy” Collins, and 5 minutes on Tebow.

Nutstuyu on April 29, 2013 at 4:16 PM

tomshup on April 29, 2013 at 4:01 PM

If I were ghey, it’d be for college lacrosse players. They’re soooooooooo dreamy (according to my daughters).

Nutstuyu on April 29, 2013 at 4:18 PM

scboy on April 29, 2013 at 4:10 PM

It might make a difference to some teammates in the locker room, especially in the shower….
Since I’m not a player and not a fan of basketball anyway – no matter to me – except as a good humor subject.

Like others have said – I’m really getting tired of gays telling everyone to stay out of their bedroom, and then putting their bedroom activities out in the street for all to see – whether they want to or not….

dentarthurdent on April 29, 2013 at 4:23 PM

…and must accept to be a morale person …

hawkdriver on April 29, 2013 at 3:29 PM

What?
Did you mean ‘moral’?

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Big deal. He’s not even the first Wizard to come out. That was Dumbledore.

Darksean on April 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Don’t you mean Gandalf (i.e. the actor who played him)?

Nutstuyu on April 29, 2013 at 4:27 PM

dentarthurdent on April 29, 2013 at 4:23 PM

If I were a player, I’d demand that the dance teams and cheerleaders be allowed to shower with the players too–otherwise the management is just sexist.

Nutstuyu on April 29, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Well we know who he is *not having sex with.. Anyone with boobs..

melle1228 on April 29, 2013 at 3:23 PM

How do you know he doesn’t like chubby guys……

libfreeordie on April 29, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Nutstuyu on April 29, 2013 at 4:27 PM

The writer, Rawlings, told a Press Conference in England that Dumbledore was gay.

kingsjester on April 29, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Any other players have any closeted sexual fetishes they wanna put right out there on the table? Kids, dogs, threesomes, leather-bound gimps, women’s underwear, $240 worth of puddin’? I mean, now’s the time, it’s all the rage.

Saltyron on April 29, 2013 at 4:34 PM

libfreeordie on April 29, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Dude, it is apparent he likes “chubbies” /

rsherwd65 on April 29, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Nutstuyu on April 29, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I’m sure players would like that idea. I could ignore the gay guy across the room if I had some nekkid cheerleaders in there as well.

Pretty much what I said back when female reporters wanted access to the locker rooms – strip down to the same level as the players and come on in…..

dentarthurdent on April 29, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Good for him – people should be honest. Don’t expect anything special for it. What is amazing is that people do not expect XYZ profession to have gay people in it. By golly, you may have been operated on by a gay homophile doctor!

Some people idolize sports because they are stuck in that freshman year of Podunk High mentality. The only way out of that dead end town and all that jazz.

antisense on April 29, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Or a pedophile doctor. But I’m sure you would never consider pointing out the flaws of that lifestyle to your beloved doctor would you?

Nutstuyu on April 29, 2013 at 4:38 PM

It’s very brave of him to come out with this type of information that’s supposed to be none of our business.

Saltyron on April 29, 2013 at 4:41 PM

This announcement will eventually lead to Gay Men in shorts trouncing on the sidelines cheerleading…All things being Equal of course.

And that will be a tragic day in America folks.

workingclass artist on April 29, 2013 at 4:42 PM

kingsjester on April 29, 2013 at 4:32 PM

That’s right, my bad. Of course Rawlings didn’t address his strangely close relationship with a teen boy did she?

Nutstuyu on April 29, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Must be terrible to be a social conservative in America. Their whole world just keeps getting worse and worse. It’s all bad news. At least on Hotair. Everything they hold dear seems to be going out the window. All that remains is despair, anger, and the hope that Jesus will come soon to . . . er . . .straighten everybody out.

keep the change on April 29, 2013 at 4:46 PM

keep the change on April 29, 2013 at 4:46 PM

I glad that He is my Hope.

In whom do you find hope? Yourself? Then, that’s a very limited hope.

kingsjester on April 29, 2013 at 4:49 PM

A contact sport. Seropositive?

Mason on April 29, 2013 at 4:51 PM

libfreeordie on April 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I suppose you could be right. You certainly don’t see any press conferences for fish announcing that they will be swimming in water (because that is what they’re expected to do based on nature/science). But if a fish were to announce they plan on driving instead, well that’s news!

Nutstuyu on April 29, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I glad that He is my Hope.

kingsjester on April 29, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Truly nice to know there is something that makes you glad.
Cause you often seem so not very glad about anything.

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 4:53 PM

The Red Cross won’t let him donate blood, but the NBA will let him bleed on other players.

Huh.

Akzed on April 29, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I bravely come out, right now, to all of Hot Air, to announce that I am a Lesbian. I love women.

…And, I have 2 ex-wifes and a present one who will attest to it. :)

kingsjester on April 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Technically, you’re a “transgendered lesbian”: a woman in a man’s body that is attracted to other women. However, if you’re referring to being a citizen of the island of Lesbos…

Nutstuyu on April 29, 2013 at 4:59 PM

melle1228 on April 29, 2013 at 3:39 PM

The latent dodge. It’s what they use when they’re left with nothing else to say. It never works but they continue to use it. hawkdriver on April 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM

It’s the worst insult they can hurl: “You’re like me!”

Akzed on April 29, 2013 at 5:00 PM

If people were so content /happy about being gay why don’t they just live their lives that way without thinking they needed to make a public announcement? Seems like it would have been simpler if he showed up at events with his partner and when questioned simply indicated that he was his partner/boyfriend/mate//whatever.

katiejane on April 29, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Nutstuyu on April 29, 2013 at 4:44 PM

It’s Rowling. :) /Harry Potter nerdiness though it is more interesting than some unknown basketball player’s sex life.

pannw on April 29, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Nutstuyu on April 29, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I’d be concerned if my doc was doing the old prostate exam and I noticed he had both hands on my shoulders….

dentarthurdent on April 29, 2013 at 5:04 PM

We know what the topic of the QotD will be tonight.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Comment of the day!

Schadenfreude on April 29, 2013 at 5:06 PM

keep the change on April 29, 2013 at 4:46 PM

The world is the same as it ever was.

For Christians everything we hold dear last forever.

Someday Jesus will return. He will be coming as Judge. The time to repent and ask Him to straighten you out is now, for then it will then be too late.

INC on April 29, 2013 at 5:07 PM

The NBA is a “Major U.S. Sport?” Couldda foloed me.

bw222 on April 29, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Chris Broussard on ESPN says Collins is not a Christian

how long before the network fires him?

commodore on April 29, 2013 at 5:11 PM

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I’m always glad the He is my Savior.

However, intentionally obstuse Lib Posters, such as yourself, do tend to give me gas.

kingsjester on April 29, 2013 at 5:12 PM

kingsjester on April 29, 2013 at 4:49 PM

So you hope that some sky deity, with whom you are in telepathic communication, comes down and massacres the world? Wow, what a demented hope that is. If you must believe in fairy tales, try to choose a better fairy tale, one that reflects a mind that is not so tortured.

BTW, just as a rhetorical question. When did you come up with this theory in your mind that such a deity existed and would do such a thing? Did somebody put this idea in your head as a young boy? Did you read something? Were stories told to you?

You might want to reexamine the reason for this belief, and the reason why you tolerate such a belief considering what it entails.

keep the change on April 29, 2013 at 5:16 PM

NBA center Jason Collins Billie Jean King becomes first openly gay active player in major U.S. sport.

Fixed

Kaptain Amerika on April 29, 2013 at 5:16 PM

kingsjester on April 29, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Truly nice to know there is something that makes you glad.
Cause you often seem so not very glad about anything.

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Rich. lol. Says the liberal guy who spends his whole day commenting on a conservative website.

hawkdriver on April 29, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Deflected throw.

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 2:35 PM

You wish, pumpkin.

Resist We Much on April 29, 2013 at 5:19 PM

They’re all gay. Basketball is gay, football is gay, tennis is gay, wrestling is really gay. Now get out of my yard.

jbtripp on April 29, 2013 at 5:20 PM

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I sure did. But you knew that.

hawkdriver on April 29, 2013 at 5:20 PM

keep the change on April 29, 2013 at 5:16 PM

78% of Americans believe in Him, also. Perhaps, you need to examine your belef system…which is based on nothing but yourself.

kingsjester on April 29, 2013 at 5:20 PM

If his teammates were allowed to be honest they would call him the pervert that he is. But not in todays twisted society, it would be better to use the N word.

rich8450 on April 29, 2013 at 5:22 PM

libfreeordie on April 29, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Still waiting…

The child abuse scandal Hot Air will NEVER cover: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/11/mark-ciavarella-jr_n_924324.html

libfreeordie on April 29, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Funny how you ignored or are ignorant of this little fact…

In 1995 he ran for judge in Luzerne County on the Democratic ticket and was elected to a ten year term. He was re-elected to a second ten year term in 2005.

Do you know why I knew he was a Democrat before I even looked up his party affiliation?

Because the Puff Host article omitted his party affiliation.

That’s one of the biggest tells in all of media.

Now, for the child sex abuse case that the Left will NEVER cover…

The case of a same-sex Connecticut couple accused of repeatedly raping and abusing two of their nine adopted boys is headed for trial.

Married couple George Harasz and Douglas Wirth of Glastonbury were supposed to be sentenced Friday in Hartford Superior Court under a plea deal, but instead withdrew from their agreement with prosecutors. The men had already pleaded no contest in January to one felony count each of risk of injury to a minor — a reduction from even more serious charges related to sexual assault.

‘They took turns raping me’: New claims of child sex abuse revealed as gay couple accused of molesting two of their 9 adopted children withdraw guilty plea and decide to go to trial

Gay Couple Accused Of Raping Multiple Adopted Children Will Face Trial

I know that YOU will never take up the rights up the boys raped by their gay dads ‘cuz, like, that whole father-figure sex partner thingie brings back pleasant memories.

Resist We Much on April 29, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Well, there is another bad role model.
Of course, that’s nothing new for the NBA. I can’t think of a bigger group of heterosexuals living the gay lifestyle (they probably beat out even Hollywood).

Count to 10 on April 29, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM

One word.

WNBA

Lily on April 29, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Mr. Collins, as a Stanford grad, will be happy to assist The Precedent with his “post play”

phreshone on April 29, 2013 at 5:25 PM

INC on April 29, 2013 at 5:07 PM

That’s funny, because a muslim said the same thing about you.

Here’s the truth: You will die. Like everyone dies. Like everything dies. A 100 billion people have already lived and died on this earth since humans first walked upright. You aren’t special because you believe in any particular myth or fairy tale, anymore than the previous 100 billion people were special for believing in their myths and fairy tales while they walked the earth. You are no different.

keep the change on April 29, 2013 at 5:26 PM

commodore on April 29, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Collins didn’t just come out as gay, he claimed to take the teachings of Jesus “seriously” in the SI interview:

“My parents instilled Christian values in me. They taught Sunday school, and I enjoyed lending a hand. I take the teachings of Jesus seriously, particularly the ones that touch on tolerance and understanding.”

So Broussard told the truth.

ESPN pro basketball analyst Chris Broussard generated his own controversy with comments on live television Monday that equated homosexuality to sin.

Broussard was speaking on a special edition of ESPN’s “Outside the Lines” centered on NBA center Jason Collins becoming the first active player from one of the four major U.S. team sports to reveal himself as gay.

“If you’re openly living in unrepentant sin, whatever it may be, not just homosexuality, (but) adultery, fornication, premarital sex between heterosexuals … I believe that’s walking in open rebellion to God and to Jesus Christ,” Broussard said. “I would not characterize that person as a Christian, because I don’t think the Bible would characterize them as a Christian.”

Broussard’s under fire now. This is the real story. Gays not only want to come out, they want to define Christianity to accommodate and approve their lifestyle. Christians who say that is not true will be attacked.

INC on April 29, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Let me see if I get this right…a doctor hacks up a bunch of woman and their babies and nothing in the news but a tall pervert in the NBA comes out and it is the lead story. If you don’t believe in Christ, you better find a way because this country is a sodom and gommorah in the making…..

crosshugger on April 29, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Just pee’d myself laughing.

katy the mean old lady on April 29, 2013 at 5:32 PM

That’s funny, because a muslim said the same thing about you.

keep the change on April 29, 2013 at 5:26 PM

100 billion? That’s quite a lot to have already died. Do you have some secret knowledge we aren’t aware of? Or are you making up a statistic to hide your contempt for people who think differently than you?

nobar on April 29, 2013 at 5:32 PM

keep the change on April 29, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I know I will die as will all others, however, as the Lord Jesus said to Martha:

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

I have believed. I will live again and never die. As will all who believe in Jesus Christ.

INC on April 29, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Martina Navratilova called to say, “Who the hell is Jason Collins?”

Spliff Menendez on April 29, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Who CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sick to death of these endless gender/race/religious wars! Keep it in your pants and keep it to yourselves. The public doesn’t need to know and doesn’t want to know.

Grrrrrrrr.

wyntre9 on April 29, 2013 at 5:33 PM

keep the change on April 29, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I also know what and why I believe. I will be happy to share my own apologetics with you, if you’d like to know why I believe.

INC on April 29, 2013 at 5:34 PM

That’s funny, because a muslim said the same thing about you.

keep the change on April 29, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I don’t really object to the sentiment, but I question that “100 billion” number. Last I remember hearing, there are more people alive today than have died in history.

Count to 10 on April 29, 2013 at 5:35 PM

100 billion? That’s quite a lot to have already died. Do you havesome secret knowledge we aren’t aware of? Or are you making up a statistic to hide your contempt for people who think differently thanyou?

nobar on April 29, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Suck on this asshat.

Spliff Menendez on April 29, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I care. I care about the drastic, supersonic nosedive in our cultural morality which has resulted in “the love which dare not speak its name” becoming “The love which will not shut the Hell up, already.”

quikstrike98 on April 29, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Martina Navratilova called to say, “Who the hell is Jason Collins?”

Spliff Menendez on April 29, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Er, Bill Jean and Martina are NOT gay. They are lesbians. BIG DIFF, according to the LGBTQQIAAP community.

Get with the 21st century programme already, ya bunch of Flintstones!

:-)

Resist We Much on April 29, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Suck on this asshat.

Spliff Menendez on April 29, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Your own article admits that the number present is based on somewhat dubious factors (human lifespan, how long we have been here).

My sentiment against KTC stands.

nobar on April 29, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Facepalm. This is headline crud from every network, paper, and nearly every blog. Call me totally shocked that there are gay folks in sports, or networks, or papers, or blogs.

Limerick on April 29, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Those men young enough to be currently playing pro sports have largely been indocrinated well enough that it should not be any big deal among them.

I hope Nike doesn’t do an endorsement deal on pink shoes or such idiocy.

And when there is some on court trash talk, I am sure the media will blow it all out of proportion (pro atheletes trash talk – about anything they think will uset an opponent’s play).

krome on April 29, 2013 at 5:48 PM

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I sure did. But you knew that.

hawkdriver on April 29, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I honestly wasn’t sure…was a bit disjointed a comment.
So you do not accept Collins to be a moral person.
Is that because he’s gay? Or for some other reason?

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Meh…

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on April 29, 2013 at 6:05 PM

We’ve gone to the exquisite Jackie Robinson taking a dramatic stance for racial equality to this nobody doing it as a career move.

Sort of like what’s happened to the country in the past 65 years.

bobs1196 on April 29, 2013 at 6:05 PM