NBA center Jason Collins becomes first openly gay active player in major U.S. sport

posted at 2:01 pm on April 29, 2013 by Allahpundit

Two weeks ago we were writing about a terrorist attack, today we’re writing about gay basketball players. A blogger’s life for me, my friends.

Easy prediction: 75 percent of the public will be casually supportive or casually disapproving but either way almost entirely indifferent. Fifteen percent, including lots of pols, celebrities, and the media, will support him enthusiastically. The other 10 percent will hassle him on the court or from the stands either because they dislike gays or just to spite the 15 percent of “opinion leaders” on the other side. Collins will get a standing O at his first home game next year — if he ends up being signed — and some fans on the road will get nasty with him when he fouls someone too roughly. He’ll do a few ads. Then, after a few months, with rare exceptions, everyone will get bored with it.

By its nature, my double life has kept me from getting close to any of my teammates. Early in my career I worked hard at acting straight, but as I got more comfortable in my straight mask it required less effort. In recent days, though, little has separated “mask on, mask off.” Personally, I don’t like to dwell in someone else’s private life, and I hope players and coaches show me the same respect. When I’m with my team I’m all about working hard and winning games. A good teammate supports you no matter what.

I’ve been asked how other players will respond to my announcement. The simple answer is, I have no idea. I’m a pragmatist. I hope for the best, but plan for the worst. The biggest concern seems to be that gay players will behave unprofessionally in the locker room. Believe me, I’ve taken plenty of showers in 12 seasons. My behavior wasn’t an issue before, and it won’t be one now. My conduct won’t change. I still abide by the adage, “What happens in the locker room stays in the locker room.” I’m still a model of discretion…

Openness may not completely disarm prejudice, but it’s a good place to start. It all comes down to education. I’ll sit down with any player who’s uneasy about my coming out. Being gay is not a choice. This is the tough road and at times the lonely road. Former players like Tim Hardaway, who said “I hate gay people” (and then became a supporter of gay rights), fuel homophobia. Tim is an adult. He’s entitled to his opinion. God bless America. Still, if I’m up against an intolerant player, I’ll set a pretty hard pick on him. And then move on.

The most you can do is stand up for what you believe in. I’m much happier since coming out to my friends and family. Being genuine and honest makes me happy.

Collins technically isn’t the first active player from a big-four sport to be openly gay, he’s the first active player to go public with it. (Glenn Burke, an outfielder for the Dodgers and A’s in the 70s, was out to his teammates and coaches but didn’t announce it publicly until after he retired.) Early reaction is what you’d expect:

The White House:

“Here at the White House we view this as another example of the progress we’ve made and the evolution that has taken place,” press secretary Jay Carney said when asked if President Obama had a statement on Collins. Carney said he had not talked to the president directly about Collins.

And the Big Dog:

Former President Bill Clinton on Monday congratulated NBA center Jason Collins for becoming the first openly gay male American professional athlete.

“I have known Jason Collins since he was Chelsea’s classmate and friend at Stanford. Jason’s announcement today is an important moment for professional sports and in the history of the LGBT community,” Clinton said in a statement.

It’s early yet, though. Someone in some league somewhere inevitably will say something disapproving, whereupon he’ll be shredded in the press until he formulaically apologizes.

By the way: None of this is a surprise, and Collins almost certainly isn’t the the only active big-four athlete who’ll be out by the end of summer. NFL player Brendon Ayanbadejo told the Baltimore Sun on April 5 that “up to four players” were discussing whether to come out on the same day, to take the heat off of each of them individually. There’s been endless whispering in the media over the last month about MLB, the NFL, the NBA, and the NHL preparing for this sort of thing. Advertisers have been preparing too, with Nike practically dangling cash in front of gay athletes to get them to speak up:

Nike asked Welts to deliver a message to anyone thinking about becoming the first openly gay athlete in major U.S. team sports — the company wants him as an endorser.

“They made it clear to me Nike would embrace it,” Welts, 60, now president of the National Basketball Association’s Golden State Warriors, said in a telephone interview. “The player who does it, they’re going to be amazed at the additional opportunities that are put on the table, not the ones that are taken off.”…

“We’ve passed the tipping point to where national advertisers are no longer afraid of the gay market,” said Mark Elderkin, chief executive officer of the Fort Lauderdale, Florida-based Gay Ad Network.

That calculus would be complicated for a superstar, especially in a sport like football, but not for an average aging player like Collins. So this is really just phase one: Now there’s a man on the court whom everyone knows is gay, but who doesn’t draw much attention otherwise. Phase two will be when an all-star, who carries his team, comes out. How much more pressure will he deal with from teammates and fans?

Exit question from DrewM: If people want to boo someone for their personal lives, why not boo these guys?

Update: That was fast. Dolphins WR Mike Wallace apparently tweeted “All these beautiful women in the world and guys wanna mess with other guys SMH…” That tweet’s now gone, per TMZ, replaced by this:

Update: Like I said, the other leagues are preparing.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

He’s afree agent….so the Celtics no longer have to
worry about changing their uniforms ot weave some
Lavendar in…

ToddPA on April 29, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Like I said in the other thread, when this kind of announcement stops being brave and becomes yawn worthy; then you know gays have made progress..

melle1228 on April 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Will never happen. The left, with homosexuals included in that group, always needs to have their sheep defined as “underdogs” to milk sympathy from those unknowing in the public. They need to prop up every form of immoral behavior, and those who have been taken in by the lie.

Sterling Holobyte on April 29, 2013 at 2:34 PM

What would be more shocking is if a WNBA player came out as straight.

portlandon on April 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM

It would be shocking enough if a WNBA fan came out as straight.

Happy Nomad on April 29, 2013 at 2:34 PM

What would be more shocking is if a WNBA player came out as straight.

portlandon on April 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Thread winner. Best post.

SparkPlug on April 29, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Resist We Much on April 29, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Deflected throw.

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Black, gay…now he needs one more acceptable attribute and the guy could be POTUS.

Anyone know if Collins is articulate?

Bishop on April 29, 2013 at 2:35 PM

welcome to the progress that had to be fought for.

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Versus easy stuff like the 2nd Amendment.

Well played.

rogerb on April 29, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Remember when Mike Piazza held a press conference to announce he was straight?

Good Solid B-Plus on April 29, 2013 at 2:35 PM

The other 10 percent will hassle him on the court or from the stands either because they dislike gays or just to spite the 15 percent of “opinion leaders” on the other side or their drunk.

I’m just sayin.

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Nonissue. You’ve obviously never been to a sporting event. ;) It appears that AP hasn’t either. Opposing fans don’t need a reason to heckle.

If anything, he’ll get less heckling out of fear of being called a “bigot”. It wouldn’t be because he’s a marginal player.

kim roy on April 29, 2013 at 2:35 PM

oh please, this is so ridiculous. this guy expects everyone to put him on a pedestal and hail him as some super-special hero, just because he for whatever reason likes to have sex with guys. am i supposed to care? really? is this actually worth getting praise comments from the white house?

this is what irritates me. people with same-sex preferences demand that everyone treat them no different than everyone else… then at the same time they want to be given special recognition and honor because IT’S A BIG DEAL that they can announce to the world who they are attracted to. no, you can’t have it both ways. either you are different from anyone else, or you are no different and don’t deserve all this recognition from the white house and celebrities and all that.

it’s true that people who happen to prefer the same sex are no different than everyone else. they are not some other type of human being. liberals always talk about conservatives “otherizing” people but liberals “otherize” people who have different sexual preferences. homosexuality is not a quick and simple choice like choosing to turn a lightswitch on or off. but just like any other sin, it CAN be resisted with a lot of prayer and effort to resist. so it’s a choice to start a long and drawn-out process that’s not easy to do. but it IS possible, with faith in Jesus.

of course, it’s easier to say “that’s the way i am and everyone has to accept it, anyone who disagrees with me is a bad person” than make a difficult effort to change over time. so, most people take the easy way out.

Sachiko on April 29, 2013 at 2:35 PM

It would be shocking enough if a WNBA fan came out as straight.

Happy Nomad on April 29, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Most shocking of all would be to find an actual WNBA fan, I didn’t know there were any.

Bishop on April 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Anyone know if Collins is articulate?

Bishop on April 29, 2013 at 2:35 PM

He’s pretty articulate, and he went to Stanford.

Collins 2020? His twin bro could be his VEEP.

Good Solid B-Plus on April 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Islamic immigration will put and end to this trend.

profitsbeard on April 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM

So, It matters why?

sandee on April 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Ben Shapiro seems to care…a lot.

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Who cares?

RovesChins on April 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Watching other people play sports is a stupid waste of time

thuja on April 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Agreed, which is why I told my kids to go to hell when they asked to play sports and bought them tv’s and recliners instead.

Don’t tell me, you’re the life of every party, right?

Bishop on April 29, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I thought someone should say something controversial. It’s pretty dull to read forty posts of people claiming to be bored.

But I am being honest. I urge everyone to do some physical activity instead of watching other people do it.

thuja on April 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM

He’s afree agent….so the Celtics no longer have to
worry about changing their uniforms ot weave some
Lavendar in…

ToddPA on April 29, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Is that as good at bad as you can be?
Lame.

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I feel like Seinfeld did about Tim Whatley and his quest for total joke-telling amnesty.

“And that offends you as a Jew?” “No, it offends me as a comedian!”

This doesn’t offend me as a conservative, but it offends me as a huge basketball fan.

Good Solid B-Plus on April 29, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I won’t buy anything advertised by this man — for to do so will indicate acceptance of his lifestyle.

The gays are free to do so, however.

unclesmrgol on April 29, 2013 at 2:39 PM

What is this sport basketball of which you speak?
Who cares?

ouldbollix on April 29, 2013 at 2:40 PM

thuja on April 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM

You mean like jogging around the block on a subzero January night in Minnesota instead of watching football? Yeah, ok.

Jeebus, you act like taking an hour or two for watching a sporting event is the equivalent of eating a gallon of butter. What are you doing now, swimming laps or is your butt warming a chair?

Bishop on April 29, 2013 at 2:41 PM

AP, will you keep us posted when prominent black comedians begin incorporating this into their acts?

rogerb on April 29, 2013 at 2:42 PM

If he’s not bedding my kids, husband, or cat, I could care less how someone else likes it in bed.

Sekhmet on April 29, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Hey, pal, with Lawrence v Texas you won the right to privacy in your bedroom. Why, oh why, can’t you exercise it?

The same people screaming about conservatives or the Church staying out of their bedrooms are the ones who will not keep their sexual perversions IN their bedrooms.

I don’t care what you do. I don’t want to know. Just don’t force me to condone or celebrate it and we’ll get along just fine, but you can’t do that. You have to shove it in my face and sue me if I don’t want to celebrate your perversion with you.

How long, Lord?

I feel like Lot must have felt.

pannw on April 29, 2013 at 2:42 PM

—YAWN—

Oh, sorry! Was I supposed to say somthing supportive to prove how open-minded and enlightened I am?

Apologies, but I can’t be bothered – because I honestly don’t care.

First off, I’m not a basketball fan…but for the sake of argument, let’s say he played a sport I do care about, like baseball. I’d care about how he played on the field, not in the bedroom.

Why do we have to fall all over ourselves expressing opinions about this?

DRayRaven on April 29, 2013 at 2:42 PM

You were doing well until this portion. Not necessary.

Good for him – people should be honest. Don’t expect anything special for it. What is amazing is that people do not expect XYZ profession to have gay people in it. By golly, you may have been operated on by a gay doctor!

Some people idolize sports because they are stuck in that freshman year of Podunk High mentality. The only way out of that dead end town and all that jazz.

antisense on April 29, 2013 at 2:43 PM

He’s afree agent….so the Celtics no longer have to
worry about changing their uniforms ot weave some
Lavendar in…

ToddPA on April 29, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Is that as good at bad as you can be?
Lame.

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Awwww. come on Verbie…

Hey, since he’s Come out, he’s got friends up the…

ToddPA on April 29, 2013 at 2:43 PM

What would actually be courageous is if some NBA players start speaking out against his coming out.

crrr6 on April 29, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Well, you know, those NBA fellers just love them some magic johnson …

M240H on April 29, 2013 at 2:45 PM

thuja on April 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM

So you admit to trolling? That would matter if the TOS were actually enforced, but I digress…

We could be talking about the Gosnell closing arguments. Or head to the thread about “boots on the ground” in Syria.

No. The public is supposed to be distracted by this new shiny bauble to distract us away from infantcide and yet more US involvement in the ME and possibly another war.

It would indeed be controversial to actually inform the public as to what their government was doing.

kim roy on April 29, 2013 at 2:46 PM

#299 that don’t care.I must be Bi sexual.If I want sex I have to BUY it.

docflash on April 29, 2013 at 2:47 PM

He’s afree agent….so the Celtics no longer have to
worry about changing their uniforms ot weave some
Lavendar in…

ToddPA on April 29, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Is that as good at bad as you can be?
Lame.

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Awwww. come on Verbie…

Hey, since he’s Come out, he’s got friends up the…

ToddPA on April 29, 2013 at 2:43 PM

:) two thumbs up.

RovesChins on April 29, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Athletes, keep your gayness to yourself please!! No one watching sports cares about your sexuality..they can how you play the game and if you are a good player.

sadsushi on April 29, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I’m sure the media-enforced approval and applause is quite fulfilling.

squint on April 29, 2013 at 2:48 PM

crrr6 on April 29, 2013 at 2:44 PM

That’s actually a very good point. It took no courage for Collins to admit he was gay. He knows he’s got a rabid army of leftists and militant gays behind him that will attack the first person who doesn’t fall to their knees as he walks by. Any company that doesn’t shower him with endorsements will be accused of being homophobic and the NBA commissioner has made it clear that any player who dares open his mouth will pay.

So you’re right.

darwin on April 29, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Amazing. Kids come home from Iraq/Afghanistan to Uncle Sam reneging on their GI bill, and the POTUS is silent. A marginal basketball player announces he enjoys putting his genitals in someone else’s rectum, the POTUS can’t get a statement out fast enough. Screwed up times we live in.

CycloneCDB on April 29, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Would anyone care to bet that Jason Collins spends time checking out teammate’s “packages” in the shower after games?

Image a quote from a teammate like, say, Kevin Garnett…

“I’m totally cool with a gay teammate…..(so long as he doesn’t stare at my d!ck in the showerroom)”

olesparkie on April 29, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Hey, since he’s Come out, he’s got friends up the…

ToddPA on April 29, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Slightly wittier.

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 2:51 PM

crrr6 on April 29, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Yep.

pannw on April 29, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Had similar conversations with my lesb1an college basketball teammates. Us straight girls just couldn’t see it.

cptacek on April 29, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Sachiko on April 29, 2013 at 2:35 PM

LOL! I just had a quirky thought.

Doctor Sachiko: How do gay Muslims, Jews, Hindus and Buddhists become straight?

ZachV on April 29, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I agree! Those athletes are a disgrace! This represents the ultimate in the breakdown of family values. The children of these athletes certainly have poor role models for what it means to be a real man. Exit question: why would any of those women sleep with a man who has so many illegitimate children? Screams womanizer to me.

GeorgiaBuckeye on April 29, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Swish!

tommyboy on April 29, 2013 at 2:53 PM

So, It matters why?

sandee on April 29, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Because it makes an outstanding squirrel in a hailstorm distraction from the stuff that matters. North Korea is still saber rattling. The FBI has botched the Ricin letter case. The administration is stovepiping intelligence again which had a part in the Boston Marathon bombing. Etc….

So it’s time to make a big deal about an old NBA player announcing he’s a puffter.

Happy Nomad on April 29, 2013 at 2:55 PM

CycloneCDB on April 29, 2013 at 2:49 PM

President Obama can’t relate as well to the vets.

rogerb on April 29, 2013 at 2:55 PM

The guy was a career reserve. 12 seasons and he never averaged as much as 7.0 pts per game. Given his age, I would say he’s not exactly a hot property as a free agent. If nobody wants him, will the media allege homophobia in the NBA?

TarheelBen on April 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM

And why does ANYONE need to know who anyone else is having sex with?

He didn’t tell you who he is having sex with anymore than you tell anyone who you’re having sex with when you flash a wedding ring. You are communicating that you’re married, not the details of your sex life. Please do not act as if straight people do not announce their heterosexuality, you do it all the time. Straight women talk about their relationships with their friends and sometimes their co workers. Men grouse about their girlfriends and wives, and can get really raunchy when ladies aren’t around. I’ve heard more about a woman’s hoo hah from straight friends than I ever wanted to know. So please, do not act like straight people don’t “shove” their heterosexuality out there, y’all do. And Jason Collins hasn’t said one lick about his actual sex life. If you are imagining him boinking another man, how is that his responsibility. He controls your thoughts? I guess the gays really *are* powerful.

libfreeordie on April 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Happy Nomad on April 29, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Yep. This is definitely a “squirrel!” moment.

kingsjester on April 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM

As far as so many here offering ‘don’t care’s and yawns…
welcome to the progress that had to be fought for.

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Most don’t even know who this guy is…much more legs on a story when Magic Johnson announced he was HIV positive.
I know you have fought for this day, Verbaluce, because it means you’re one day closer to being able to marry your mother.

RovesChins on April 29, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Piss your pants funny right there. Freaking GOLD.

Polish Rifle on April 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM

That could have been worded differently.

Double entendres aside, the new frontier is going to be evaluating every, er…hard hit involving a known gay player for a subtext of messaging.

TexasDan on April 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Big deal. He’s not even the first Wizard to come out. That was Dumbledore.

Darksean on April 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM

HAHAHAHAHA!!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM

We won’t really have a story until two players want to “marry” each other. And then a trade breaks up the relationship.

TexasDan on April 29, 2013 at 3:00 PM

libfreeordie on April 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Agreed. I can’t tell you how many press conferences I’ve had to announce my sexuality, too many to count really.

Bishop on April 29, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Can’t you just imagine some players saying, “Ya know, I thought I felt something funny rubbing up against my butt whenever I posted up Jason Collings…”

olesparkie on April 29, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Big deal. He’s not even the first Wizard to come out. That was Dumbledore.

Darksean on April 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Win.

libfreeordie on April 29, 2013 at 3:02 PM

libfreeordie on April 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Shouldn’t you be telling us that Collins will get another job because he’s required to “stop” a guy who plays for an 8th seed that just got swept?

Good Solid B-Plus on April 29, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Why is the White House even commenting on this?! Ridiculous! Of course, everything it (the White House) does is, at best, ridiculous.

MustLoveBlogs on April 29, 2013 at 3:02 PM

libfreeordie on April 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM

People in their private lives and conversatiosn mention their relationships and sex lives? Wow, who knew.

So how is being gay relevant to playing basketball?

gwelf on April 29, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Bishop on April 29, 2013 at 3:00 PM

And you were sooo brave for doing it.. :)

melle1228 on April 29, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Big deal. He’s not even the first Wizard to come out. That was Dumbledore.
Darksean on April 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Spoiler alert!

/sarc

gwelf on April 29, 2013 at 3:03 PM

MustLoveBlogs on April 29, 2013 at 3:02 PM

“Because if Obama had a gay lover, he would look like Collins.. And if they had a son together, he would look like Trayvon..”

melle1228 on April 29, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Lie #1.
Why do you let the homosexual culture define your unnatural sexual preference as natural, and the natural sexual identity you were born with as your “mask”?

Being gay is not a choice.

Lie #2
Parroting the unsubstantiated opinions of the homosexual lobby does not make it true.

Lie #3 – But mixed with truth.
The left doesn’t value or accept anyone else’s opinion except ones that fit into their skewed views of the world. He then displays the truth of the hypocrisy of the left by stating he would “set a pretty hard pick” on someone he deems as “intolerant”. How often have we heard that buzzword before when referring to just about anybody who doesn’t agree with or prop up homosexuality?!

The most you can do is stand up for what you believe in.

Why is having sex with a member of your own gender so important to you?

Lie #4
I don’t doubt that being “in step” with the ideas of “the world” gives a sense of commonality with others, especially when said commonality is so worshipped in society lately. But I think there is something darker down inside. And once again, what is “genuine and honest” about following a lie perpetrated by those who just want you to follow the same self-destructive lifestyle that they let themselves get trapped into? Wouldn’t it be more genuine and honest to follow the “tough road” of the gender that God made you?!

Sterling Holobyte on April 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I bravely come out, right now, to all of Hot Air, to announce that I am a Lesbian. I love women.

…And, I have 2 ex-wifes and a present one who will attest to it. :)

kingsjester on April 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM

And why does ANYONE need to know who anyone else is having sex with?

libfreeordie on April 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I would bet you hard cash that his teammates already knew or had a general idea. Same with his family and friends.

Does the whole world need to know? Did I need to you? Did you need to know? No, none of us did.

Do you think if he quietly told his teammates/family/friends, as most of us do when we want to share our lives, he couldn’t have accomplished what he needed to?

Nope. This was a two-fer. He was able to extend the double standard of how gays aren’t really any different, but hey, we are more special and heroic lookit our struggle PLUS the added bonus of SQUIRREL!!! for the liberal media.

kim roy on April 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM

TarheelBen on April 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Oh no. That would never happen. Just like with modern sports and race.
/sarc

gwelf on April 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM

34 year old NBA player at the end of his career, who is now a free agent?

Not exactly brave.

How does his sexual preference affect his rebounding & free throw percentage?

portlandon on April 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Yeah, I think he “came out” as a strategy to get some team to pick him up. Some team may sign him now just for the novelty of it and the media attention, and to show everyone how “progressive” they are. Based on his age and his lackluster career, he wasn’t exactly in demand as a free agent.

TarheelBen on April 29, 2013 at 3:06 PM

melle1228 on April 29, 2013 at 3:04 PM

LOL

This thread is hilarious.

gwelf on April 29, 2013 at 3:07 PM

libfreeordie on April 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM

At a press conference? Relating to their professional life? Really???? Might make the daily White House propaganda more memorable if Jay Carney started out telling the media just how many times he banged his spouse the night before.

The bottom line is sexual preference is a private matter not something that should matter in one’s professional life.

Happy Nomad on April 29, 2013 at 3:08 PM

kim roy on April 29, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Actually, no, I wasn´t trolling. It was my sincere reaction to this issue. I just generally don´t state it so bluntly.

I would like to suggest if you think there is some path to a political consensus to stop abortion by obsessing over the Gosnell trial, you are wrong. It will just hurt the GOP in 2014 and 2016. Remember 2010 when the election was over economics.

thuja on April 29, 2013 at 3:08 PM

melle1228 on April 29, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Ooh – touche’!

MustLoveBlogs on April 29, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Who cares. I’m tired of people acting like this is a big deal. If an announcer criticizes his play will he be called homophobic?

alanstern on April 29, 2013 at 3:08 PM

No one is special bcs they identify as being homosexual.
This $hit is getting so ridiculous.
WTF is it desirable or courageous or something when a person says Hey! I go against nature! Love me for it!
Geebus people need to get a grip.
If you like it up the a$$, I could give a $hit less, but keep your sexual ways to your damned self.

Badger40 on April 29, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Big deal. He’s not even the first Wizard to come out. That was Dumbledore.

Darksean on April 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Never happened. He was ‘outed’ posthumously by JKR when he couldn’t defend himself.

pannw on April 29, 2013 at 3:10 PM

TarheelBen on April 29, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Or, just think of the book opportunities as he heads into retirement. He (or more accurately his ghost writer) can spin tales of all the injustice, intolerance, homophobia, and inner-questioning as Collins becomes the sport’s first openly-puffter player.

Happy Nomad on April 29, 2013 at 3:11 PM

So how is being gay relevant to playing basketball?

gwelf on April 29, 2013 at 3:02 PM

it’s not, which is why I’m making cheap sexual jokes
at their expense…

Now this guy and his other half can go into a bar,
and before sitting down, they can push each other’s Stool in.

ToddPA on April 29, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Wow, a comment from our president because someone described their sexual preference.

hawkdriver on April 29, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Never said anything was right or wrong I just said I don’t understand!! Deeply sorry for anyone that I offended

So who are the intolerant bigots again? Maybe we need to see that picture of the Belgian Archbishop being assaulted again. It looks like only one side gets to speak, hurray for freedom! /sarc

jnelchef on April 29, 2013 at 3:12 PM

hawkdriver on April 29, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Sad, huh?

kingsjester on April 29, 2013 at 3:12 PM

libfreeordie on April 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Please gives examples of our flamboyant behavior that is purely natural in the natural world.
Oh. Please.

Badger40 on April 29, 2013 at 3:12 PM

OK please forgive me for reposting from the Green Room. But since we’ve got the homo vibe going on, it’s oh so relevant:

Heh…well, the day I can understand the minds of liberals is the day pigs learn how to fly. It’s sad to see homosexuality be made akin to alcoholism in the comments, but not surprising. Dolan’s statement quoted by Ed does reinforce what I’ve been saying all along…that it’s not homosexuality that is a sin, but it’s that *all* pre- or extra-marital sex that is. If you’re going to condemn gays based on sexual activity, you have to do the same to any sexual activity outside of marriage.
JetBoy on April 29, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Dude, I think it’s all wrong. I’m aware that you are gay & that you will defend this position however you can til the cows come home.
In nature you cannot defend it.
The purpose of the sexual act is to procreate in order to pass on genetics & homosexual sex does not do that.
So what you are doing is getting off in a way that nature did not intend.
Now perhaps there’s something to being predisposed to a certain kind of behavior genetically.
It doesn’t mean you are born to be gay or addicted to substances that harm your body etc.
And YES I DO equate abnormal behaviors like alcoholism & homosexuality.
I don’t really care if you don’t like that or not.
Now when it comes to the govt getting all in your business to practice these abnormal acts, that’s where I stand with you.
But when it comes to the gay marriage issue that is an issue society gets to decide. John & Tom can be together if they want forever. But don’t expect society to go against nature if it doesn’t want to just to recognize your abnormal proclivities.
Homosexuality is not normal in nature.
That really says it all, IMO.

My counter arguments are that everybody has an alphabet’s worth of temptations and “bad” inclinations, that overcoming our “bad” natural predispositions is an important part of our character development, and that genetics has no bearing on our moral condition; it bestows neither vice nor virtue.
YiZhangZhe on April 29, 2013 at 11:02 AM

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!

Rape is a choice.
Pedophilia (the condition, not the act) is considered by psychiatrists a… I don’t want to say genetic, but let’s call it an impulse that a person is born with.

AlexB on April 29, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Meh, I’ll stop with this latest diatribe.
Dude, your arguments, IMO, really SUCK. They are pathetic.
What if somebody gets off on rape? Diddling little kids? S&M? Bestiality?
When is this $hit not normal & is actually harmful to society?
News flash: all aberrant behavior beyond what nature entails in the human race is potentially harmful to society.
Did you not understand what I said about animals?
I mean right now in my pends out back I’ve got 6 bulls trying to f#@k each other bcs they are so horny smelling young fertile heifers nearby they are almost gang raping each other.
They can’t control their impulses! They are not doing this bcs they are gay.
And the same holds true for human beings.
When you get down to it, we are animals.
But we are animals that have morality.
It’s why we are so much different than anything that exists right now.
Aberrant behavior in nature, when it interferes with productivity, can be fatal to a gene pool.
People CHOOSE to love other people. And yes, why there needs to be some chemistry, I have learned we can all be happy with 9 out of 10 people we meet of the opposite sex.
We just need to both be on the same page in our lives & be committed to working things out.
Love is nice, but having a partner is much more than that.
We choose to be happy if we try. We choose to be turned on & we can also choose to suppress urges.
What about the people who get off on murdering people?
That $hit’s all a choice.
Nuff said. You’re n ot going to get it anyway.
I’m sure you have not spent near the amount of time I have observing animals behavior in the wild.

Badger40 on April 29, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Badger40 on April 29, 2013 at 3:14 PM

thuja on April 29, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Gosnell is not political. Gosnell is societal and no political party can change that at this point.

What is needed is hard advertising showing a fetus reacting to pain during an abortion. That’s it. It doesn’t have to be presented by a political party, but by people who want to take back this self-absorbed and debauched society.

So making it a GOP issue is just nonsense. We don’t need the GOP for this. We just need the will to fight as hard as the left has.

kim roy on April 29, 2013 at 3:14 PM

And one more. Then I’ll let the trolls roll with it:

amongst organisms that engage in sexual (not asexual) reproduction, 2 members of the same sex going at it are doing nothing more than acting out sexual urges that can be controlled.
Please note my previous examples that include my bulls f#@king each other in the pens.
They really are gang raping each other. And some of the bulls getting gang raped clearly do not like this. They are yearling virgin bulls. Getting gang raped by older bulls.
In fact, I will tell you that NO bulls likes getting it up the a$$.
It is mostly an uncontrollable sexual urge they have no power to resist & to a lesser degree, an assertion of dominance.
Which I have heard human males do in places where they use sodomy to exert male dominance.

Badger40 on April 29, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Badger40 on April 29, 2013 at 3:14 PM

hawkdriver on April 29, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Can’t get him to comment on Benghazi, but give him a poster boy for gay rights, and we can’t shut the campaigner in chief up..

melle1228 on April 29, 2013 at 3:15 PM

kim roy on April 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM

And a discrimination lawsuit against the NBA when no team picks up a 36-year-old benchwarmer. Gotta be the gay thing and not the age/talent thing.

Happy Nomad on April 29, 2013 at 3:15 PM

hawkdriver on April 29, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Sad, huh?

kingsjester on April 29, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I mean, his career wasn’t worth talking about.

hawkdriver on April 29, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Shut up! they said…

The total utter hypocrisy of proclaiming coming out as gay as a courageous stand for diversity then shouting down those of dissenting points is quite Orwellian…

Skywise on April 29, 2013 at 3:17 PM

hawkdriver on April 29, 2013 at 3:16 PM

No, it wasn’t. However, his “coming out” further Obama’s agenda of “radical change”.

Reggie Love approves.

kingsjester on April 29, 2013 at 3:18 PM

You’d think this guy just announced he was black..

Skywise on April 29, 2013 at 3:19 PM

melle1228 on April 29, 2013 at 3:15 PM

And both stories involved gay men. Go figure.

hawkdriver on April 29, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Badger40 on April 29, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Like Benghazi, where our ambassador was sodomized as well as killed.

cptacek on April 29, 2013 at 3:19 PM

So all the coverage is showing him in his Celtics uniform…

Hmmmm, well, fair enough….

..I just pulled up a pic of Racquel Welch in her
Kansas City Bomber uniform….

ToddPA on April 29, 2013 at 3:20 PM

kim roy on April 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Happy Nomad on April 29, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Maybe a book deal, some talk shows, some liberal parties until the next shiny useful idiot comes along.

One must look after one’s future, mustn’t one?

I’m still wondering if he couldn’t have told the important people in his life like most of us tell each other important things (sans press conference) and then moved on with his life, you know, like the rest of us do?

If something doesn’t happen publicly did it happen at all?

kim roy on April 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM

And why does ANYONE need to know who anyone else is having sex with?

kim roy on April 29, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I don’t think he’s said who he’s having sex with.
But ponder if you wish.

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Like Benghazi, where our ambassador was sodomized as well as killed.

cptacek on April 29, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Is that true? I have no idea.

Badger40 on April 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I don’t think he’s said who he’s having sex with.
But ponder if you wish.

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM

The who is a guy.
You being obtuse on purpose?
What a stupid comment.

Badger40 on April 29, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I don’t think he’s said who he’s having sex with.
But ponder if you wish.

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Well we know who he is *not having sex with.. Anyone with boobs..

melle1228 on April 29, 2013 at 3:23 PM

finally, an NBA player Obama can play one on one with.

portlandon on April 29, 2013 at 3:26 PM

One must look after one’s future, mustn’t one?

If something doesn’t happen publicly did it happen at all?

kim roy on April 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Naw, he is going to get a bunch of endorsements from liberal companies just for being the first athlete to admit he likes guys..

melle1228 on April 29, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Two points-
First: A sure sign of ‘lefty intolerance’.
Second: Fans really enjoy when professional athletes (that many feel are over paid for playing a kid’s game) ‘dial’ their intensity up or down…

socalcon on April 29, 2013 at 3:27 PM