NBA center Jason Collins becomes first openly gay active player in major U.S. sport

posted at 2:01 pm on April 29, 2013 by Allahpundit

Two weeks ago we were writing about a terrorist attack, today we’re writing about gay basketball players. A blogger’s life for me, my friends.

Easy prediction: 75 percent of the public will be casually supportive or casually disapproving but either way almost entirely indifferent. Fifteen percent, including lots of pols, celebrities, and the media, will support him enthusiastically. The other 10 percent will hassle him on the court or from the stands either because they dislike gays or just to spite the 15 percent of “opinion leaders” on the other side. Collins will get a standing O at his first home game next year — if he ends up being signed — and some fans on the road will get nasty with him when he fouls someone too roughly. He’ll do a few ads. Then, after a few months, with rare exceptions, everyone will get bored with it.

By its nature, my double life has kept me from getting close to any of my teammates. Early in my career I worked hard at acting straight, but as I got more comfortable in my straight mask it required less effort. In recent days, though, little has separated “mask on, mask off.” Personally, I don’t like to dwell in someone else’s private life, and I hope players and coaches show me the same respect. When I’m with my team I’m all about working hard and winning games. A good teammate supports you no matter what.

I’ve been asked how other players will respond to my announcement. The simple answer is, I have no idea. I’m a pragmatist. I hope for the best, but plan for the worst. The biggest concern seems to be that gay players will behave unprofessionally in the locker room. Believe me, I’ve taken plenty of showers in 12 seasons. My behavior wasn’t an issue before, and it won’t be one now. My conduct won’t change. I still abide by the adage, “What happens in the locker room stays in the locker room.” I’m still a model of discretion…

Openness may not completely disarm prejudice, but it’s a good place to start. It all comes down to education. I’ll sit down with any player who’s uneasy about my coming out. Being gay is not a choice. This is the tough road and at times the lonely road. Former players like Tim Hardaway, who said “I hate gay people” (and then became a supporter of gay rights), fuel homophobia. Tim is an adult. He’s entitled to his opinion. God bless America. Still, if I’m up against an intolerant player, I’ll set a pretty hard pick on him. And then move on.

The most you can do is stand up for what you believe in. I’m much happier since coming out to my friends and family. Being genuine and honest makes me happy.

Collins technically isn’t the first active player from a big-four sport to be openly gay, he’s the first active player to go public with it. (Glenn Burke, an outfielder for the Dodgers and A’s in the 70s, was out to his teammates and coaches but didn’t announce it publicly until after he retired.) Early reaction is what you’d expect:

The White House:

“Here at the White House we view this as another example of the progress we’ve made and the evolution that has taken place,” press secretary Jay Carney said when asked if President Obama had a statement on Collins. Carney said he had not talked to the president directly about Collins.

And the Big Dog:

Former President Bill Clinton on Monday congratulated NBA center Jason Collins for becoming the first openly gay male American professional athlete.

“I have known Jason Collins since he was Chelsea’s classmate and friend at Stanford. Jason’s announcement today is an important moment for professional sports and in the history of the LGBT community,” Clinton said in a statement.

It’s early yet, though. Someone in some league somewhere inevitably will say something disapproving, whereupon he’ll be shredded in the press until he formulaically apologizes.

By the way: None of this is a surprise, and Collins almost certainly isn’t the the only active big-four athlete who’ll be out by the end of summer. NFL player Brendon Ayanbadejo told the Baltimore Sun on April 5 that “up to four players” were discussing whether to come out on the same day, to take the heat off of each of them individually. There’s been endless whispering in the media over the last month about MLB, the NFL, the NBA, and the NHL preparing for this sort of thing. Advertisers have been preparing too, with Nike practically dangling cash in front of gay athletes to get them to speak up:

Nike asked Welts to deliver a message to anyone thinking about becoming the first openly gay athlete in major U.S. team sports — the company wants him as an endorser.

“They made it clear to me Nike would embrace it,” Welts, 60, now president of the National Basketball Association’s Golden State Warriors, said in a telephone interview. “The player who does it, they’re going to be amazed at the additional opportunities that are put on the table, not the ones that are taken off.”…

“We’ve passed the tipping point to where national advertisers are no longer afraid of the gay market,” said Mark Elderkin, chief executive officer of the Fort Lauderdale, Florida-based Gay Ad Network.

That calculus would be complicated for a superstar, especially in a sport like football, but not for an average aging player like Collins. So this is really just phase one: Now there’s a man on the court whom everyone knows is gay, but who doesn’t draw much attention otherwise. Phase two will be when an all-star, who carries his team, comes out. How much more pressure will he deal with from teammates and fans?

Exit question from DrewM: If people want to boo someone for their personal lives, why not boo these guys?

Update: That was fast. Dolphins WR Mike Wallace apparently tweeted “All these beautiful women in the world and guys wanna mess with other guys SMH…” That tweet’s now gone, per TMZ, replaced by this:

Update: Like I said, the other leagues are preparing.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

Entirely indifferent wins. Of course, I feel that way about sports in general, not just gay players “coming out.”

Warner Todd Huston on April 29, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Gutsy.

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 2:04 PM

*yawn* – why does the White House need to comment?

tommer74 on April 29, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Why are (D)s always so surprised that blacks/women/Hispanics/gays/etc. are capable of accomplishing anything?

rogerb on April 29, 2013 at 2:04 PM

At the risk of being accused of being a closet gay male:

Like I said in the other thread, when this kind of announcement stops being brave and becomes yawn worthy; then you know gays have made progress..

melle1228 on April 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Yawn.

beatcanvas on April 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Cue 300 posts all claiming to “not care.”

libfreeordie on April 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM

That’s cool that he’ll now be eligible to play until he’s 82 years old, btw.

rogerb on April 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Who?

nobar on April 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM

34 year old NBA player at the end of his career, who is now a free agent?

Not exactly brave.

How does his sexual preference affect his rebounding & free throw percentage?

portlandon on April 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Wow, and I thought things like chemical weapon use, economic meltdowns, and political malfeasance were news?

reppac122 on April 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM

And failure to sign him will show homophobia. Journeyman league average player who gets a veteran contract vs. potential diamond in the rough inexpensive rookie?

It’s all about making sure you get that next gig.

rbj on April 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Wake me up when that happens. Honestly, this is practically a non-story. Even if Collins is signed by an NBA team for next season, he may never see any playing time(he played a mere 6 games this year for a crappy Wizards squad), so that standing O that’s being predicted will never come to pass.

An all-star caliber NBA player coming out while in the prime of his career. THAT would be a story. All this is is the Democrat/media complex trying to drum up yet another gay-themed story when there is far more important stuff going on.

Doughboy on April 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Cue 300 posts all claiming to “not care.”

libfreeordie on April 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I don’t care that you care if we care or not. How’s that?

melle1228 on April 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM

If you’re commenting that you don’t care, you care.

YYZ on April 29, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Cue 300 posts all claiming to “not care.”

libfreeordie on April 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM

We’re waiting for your informed response on the gun control thread that you hit and run earlier.

rogerb on April 29, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Don’t remember asking. Love the self-importance attached with all these people who come out, that the world cares so much.

When’s the book coming out? Contract negotiations not going well? Future employment opportunities?

Why do these people (and not just gays) think we care about their sex lives???? Tacky is as tacky does.

kim roy on April 29, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Well, when you have nothing else to offer, you might as well go gay.

Pork-Chop on April 29, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Cue 300 posts all claiming to “not care.”

libfreeordie on April 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Only way it gets that high is if you (or other trolls) post non-sequiturs, red herrings or strawmen.

nobar on April 29, 2013 at 2:09 PM

melle1228 on April 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Will the “pride” parades end then as well?

I never understood this about certain communities. They claim they want to be viewed the same as everyone else yet they feel the need to celebrate how they’re different from everyone as often as possible.

VinceOfDoom on April 29, 2013 at 2:09 PM

1. Big hairy athlete outs himself.
2. Allahpundit wets himself with glee.
3. The hotairheads rejoice.
4. Random rerson who says this isn’t really a conservative blog gets shown the door.
5. LOL as necessary.

ps: lol

abobo on April 29, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Athletes & Twitter. Often a bad idea.

22044 on April 29, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Cue 300 posts all claiming to “not care.”

libfreeordie on April 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM

You got me. I admit it. I’ve actually been dying to know more about this guy’s personal sex life.

What’s his name again?

forest on April 29, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Coming soon to a draft pick near you!

The only reason anyone could be against gay marriage is if they have some innate dislike of gays, which is of course homophobia.

ernesto on May 20, 2011 at 4:37 PM

rogerb on April 29, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Per Twitter:

David Burge ‏@iowahawkblog

It was obvious. Jason Collins is the only guy in the NBA not defending a paternity suit.

d1carter on April 29, 2013 at 2:10 PM

34 year old NBA player at the end of his career, who is now a free agent?

Not exactly brave.

How does his sexual preference affect his rebounding & free throw percentage?

portlandon on April 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Hey, if he really wanted to be brave and edgy he would have made the announcement in the Middle East or came out as a TEA Partier/conservative.

As it is, it’s just another liberal feel good self wanking exercise. Nothing to see here, move along, move along.

kim roy on April 29, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Cue 300 posts all claiming to “not care.”

libfreeordie on April 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I’m straight. I like it shaved with the little landing strip. See how important to others that really is, chump?
We could cue up 300 posts of why you don’t get any a$$.

I’ll start. You are the stand in for Pat on SNL.

RovesChins on April 29, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Im sorry, but this isnt really a big deal.

Hes gay. So freaking what?

I dont really care what sports players do off of the court/field/rink/whatever. All I care about is that I get my moneys worth when I go to a game.

His being gay means absolutely nothing to me or to sports. All it is is another person coming out, a fairly typical thing in the country these days.

Its not Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier or anything. Its just a man saying that he enjoys the company of other men.

Its his life, why should we care what he does with it?

Blu3Yeti on April 29, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Rapist adulterer kobe Bryant thinks it’s awesome. Not the best endorsement possible.

SparkPlug on April 29, 2013 at 2:11 PM

abobo on April 29, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Thanks as always for your page views, abobo.

Allahpundit on April 29, 2013 at 2:11 PM

34 year old NBA player at the end of his career, who is now a free agent?

Not exactly brave.

How does his sexual preference affect his rebounding & free throw percentage?

portlandon on April 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Ding ding ding.

Brave? Nope. I’ll take “Excellent Self-Promotion” for $1,000 Alex.

Actually, I think he’s 36 – It’ll be interesting to see the pretzel logic going on when this guy’s offers are few & far between.

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on April 29, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I remember Cromartie talking about all his children and how they all had different moms on Hardknocks, at first I thought he was making it up and just joking, then I was like WHAT?! He’s serious?!

El_Terrible on April 29, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Nothing to see here, just a continuation of the down hill slide as we continue to define deviancy down and mainstream it in the modern American culture.

RAN58 on April 29, 2013 at 2:12 PM

34 year old NBA player at the end of his career, who is now a free agent?

Not exactly brave.

How does his sexual preference affect his rebounding & free throw percentage?
portlandon on April 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I doesn’t. It does, however, make it harder to drop a bench-rider at the end of his career. Now if they drop him, it’s discrimination, not because he’s mediocre.

iurockhead on April 29, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Lindsey Graham and Tim Scott are unavailable for comments.

Capitalist Hog on April 29, 2013 at 2:13 PM

If Dog Eater had a tall, gay, basketball-playing son he would look like Jason Collins.

Bishop on April 29, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I’m straight. I like it shaved with the little landing strip.

RovesChins on April 29, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Me too. *clink*

SparkPlug on April 29, 2013 at 2:14 PM

He’s an aging, un-restricted free agent. Potentially timed for speaking fees post-career or a lawsuit in case no one offers a contract for next season.

(what? give the benefit of the doubt to a Stanford grad or an Ivy Leaguer? I don’t think so.)

phreshone on April 29, 2013 at 2:14 PM

If you’re commenting that you don’t care, you care.

YYZ on April 29, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I care very much that the media and public pay attention to this dimwittery rather than Benghazi, F&F, the economy, drone strikes, Syria, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

I care very much that the liberals/media (redundant) control the language and can make the mundane and stupid seem “heroic” when in reality it’s somebody being a useful idiot for some attention.

So yeah, I guess I do care, but not for the reasons they want me to care.

kim roy on April 29, 2013 at 2:14 PM

How does his sexual preference affect his rebounding & free throw percentage?

portlandon on April 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM

The limp wrist gives him an edge in shooting ability. /

I go on the record as saying I don’t care what anybody’s sexual preference is. I don’t think it brave to come forward and announce it, I think it is arrogant that you think I care who you have sex with- male, female, or goat.

Happy Nomad on April 29, 2013 at 2:14 PM

David Burge ‏@iowahawkblog

d1carter on April 29, 2013 at 2:10 PM

In my next life I want to have Iowahawk’s wit.

Bishop on April 29, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Did he go to Duke?

Deafdog on April 29, 2013 at 2:15 PM

This is all getting very, very tiresome.

darwin on April 29, 2013 at 2:15 PM

WHO CARES?

GWB on April 29, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Here come hate fouls.

tom daschle concerned on April 29, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Lindsey Graham and Tim Scott are unavailable for comments.

Capitalist Hog on April 29, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Cue 300 posts all claiming to “not care.”

libfreeordie on April 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM

nobar on April 29, 2013 at 2:09 PM

10 minutes later…

nobar on April 29, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Lindsey Graham and Tim Scott are unavailable for comments.

Capitalist Hog on April 29, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Hey look, it’s the guy who says that identifying that a mediocre player is mediocre makes you a homophobe.

How quaint.

Good Solid B-Plus on April 29, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Gutsy.

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Wouldn’t that be ‘ballsy’ ?

RovesChins on April 29, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I follow sports closely..heard this ‘news’ a few hours ago..and said aloud ‘who’

Nobody who want his 15 minutes of fame

Redford on April 29, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Here’s the very interesting question about this. Jason Collins is supposedly gay (I mean, this could just be a contract ploy, after all….). But his brother, Jarron Collins, also played in the NBA. It’s his twin brother. So is Jarron gay too?

If not… so much for the “gay gene”. If so…, is he going to “come out” too?

I’d like to see Allahpundit do a post on the Catholic Bishop that Ed covered in the Greenroom; surely that will get hits.

Vanceone on April 29, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Did he go to Duke?

Deafdog on April 29, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Close… Stanford…

phreshone on April 29, 2013 at 2:17 PM

A publicity move for a player who is at the end of his career, hoping some Liberal owner will sign him to show how Liberal he is.

Brave? Nope. Self-serving.

kingsjester on April 29, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Couldn’t Jason Collns have waited until the Celtics were eliminated from the postseason before coming out?

Whats the bigger deal: Tebow getting cut or Jason Collins coming out?

RedRobin145 on April 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Bishop on April 29, 2013 at 2:13 PM

If Jason Collins had a tall, gay, basketball-playing father he would have a secret service detail following him around like the do all the first family members.

Happy Nomad on April 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Cue 300 posts all claiming to “not care.”

libfreeordie on April 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Wasn’t that the goal? Guess the goalposts have moved again.

forest on April 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Bishop on April 29, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Bat face had to take a cold shower.

RovesChins on April 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Low information drama for a low information America.

MNHawk on April 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I. Do. Not. Care.

Buck_Nekkid on April 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Holy crap, Collins has a career playoff PER of 5.4. The league average/baseline is 15.

40% on FGs, barely above 10% on total rebounding rate, 2.5 defensive Win Shares…he’s even scrubbier than I thought he was.

Good Solid B-Plus on April 29, 2013 at 2:19 PM

How quaint.

Good Solid B-Plus on April 29, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Or apparently a closeted gay male even if you are really a girl. :)

melle1228 on April 29, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I’m straight. I like it shaved with the little landing strip.

RovesChins on April 29, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Me too. *clink*

SparkPlug on April 29, 2013 at 2:14 PM

*clink*

RovesChins on April 29, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Collins better not tell that he’s a Tea Partier or else all his sensitive, non bigoted, liberal supporters will instantly denounce him as a fa**ot.

Bishop on April 29, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Both my students in my Moron-Studies classes and myself have been waiting with baited breath to find out just what Jason Collins sticks his richard in to.

libfreeordie on April 29, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Fixed, because those that put the low information in low information America really do care what Jason Collins sticks his richard in to.

MNHawk on April 29, 2013 at 2:20 PM

As far as so many here offering ‘don’t care’s and yawns…
welcome to the progress that had to be fought for.

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Every new frontier needs pioneers. Good on ya, Jason Collins! Don’t let the bastids get you down.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on April 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Interesting way of extending one’s career. Now if someone doesn’t sign him, it will just go to show how homophobic the league supposedly is….despite his less than a point per game average this year.

Zaggs on April 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Wow! Made my day better in this world of tumult, terrorism, waning morals, babies being torn apart while still living and otherwise murdered……..to know that someone has the courage to make his personal life, public.

What ballz.

Like who gives a flip? Other things way more important, fella. Get over yourself.

avagreen on April 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM

If you’re commenting that you don’t care, you care.

I care that the media wastes time with nonsense like this instead of covering important stories. Just more “SQUIRREL!”

P.S. I never heard of this guy before this story, and I’m not about to start watching basketball just because of it.

glockomatic on April 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Copied from the other thread:

I’m not bigoted against gay men. I’m bigoted against mediocre centers who got extended careers because of a (somewhat false) reputation as a great defensive player.

Collins is a 7 foot guy who has shot 41% on FGs for his career and barely eclipsed 30 career Win Shares.

The guy he was usually hired to stop, Shaq, once had 18.6 Win Shares in one season.

11 Defensive Win Shares doesn’t even put him in the same stratosphere as such legendary names as Shawn Bradley or Kendrick Perkins.

There’s lots of guys in the D-League who deserves Collins’ roster spot. He’s a washed up vet who wasn’t even that good when he wasn’t washed up.

At least he was better than his twin bro, though.

Good Solid B-Plus on April 29, 2013 at 2:12 PM

This is a response to Capitalist Hog’s ridiculous posts.

Good Solid B-Plus on April 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Watching other people play sports is a stupid waste of time regardless of the sexuality of athletes, but it is sort of gay to be watching muscular men in skimpy clothing.

thuja on April 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM

As far as so many here offering ‘don’t care’s and yawns…
welcome to the progress that had to be fought for.

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Yeah, he’s just like Jackie Robinson.

*yawn*

Good Solid B-Plus on April 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM

The limp wrist gives him an edge in shooting ability. /

Happy Nomad on April 29, 2013 at 2:14 PM

The aerodynamics of a specially design javaline should also improve…if you can believe Revenge of the Nerds.

Deafdog on April 29, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Maybe it’s gay-fatigue, but I’m kinda in the ‘don’t care’ camp. I thought this would be a bigger deal to me, a sports fan, when it finally happened. Maybe it’s not earth-shattering because I never heard of the guy before today. Whatever.

joejm65 on April 29, 2013 at 2:23 PM

As far as so many here offering ‘don’t care’s and yawns…
welcome to the progress that had to be fought for.

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Most don’t even know who this guy is…much more legs on a story when Magic Johnson announced he was HIV positive.
I know you have fought for this day, Verbaluce, because it means you’re one day closer to being able to marry your mother.

RovesChins on April 29, 2013 at 2:23 PM

As far as so many here offering ‘don’t care’s and yawns…
welcome to the progress that had to be fought for.

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Wasn’t that progress won in the 80′s/90′s?

nobar on April 29, 2013 at 2:24 PM

As far as so many here offering ‘don’t care’s and yawns…
welcome to the progress that had to be fought for.

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Yeah because the ability to be an attention whore and announce to the world you screw other dudes is akin to spending decades in a South African prison or being attacked while on a march across the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma. Right?

Happy Nomad on April 29, 2013 at 2:25 PM

It weould have been a lot braver of him, if he wasn’t about to be forced to retire.

kingsjester on April 29, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I don’t understand why it’s important for us to know he’s gay, or anyone else for that matter. All the usual suspects just use yet another public outing to rush forward to prove how inclusive or tolerant they are. Seriously, why is this something for the WH to even comment on otherwise?

changer1701 on April 29, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Watching other people play sports is a stupid waste of time

thuja on April 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Agreed, which is why I told my kids to go to hell when they asked to play sports and bought them tv’s and recliners instead.

Don’t tell me, you’re the life of every party, right?

Bishop on April 29, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Will the league have to add a new flagrant foul called “Hate Fouls” for those players that feel that they were hand checked extra hard because of their sexual preference?

portlandon on April 29, 2013 at 2:27 PM

The other 10 percent will hassle him on the court or from the stands either because they dislike gays or just to spite the 15 percent of “opinion leaders” on the other side or their drunk.

I’m just sayin.

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Wasn’t that progress won in the 80′s/90′s?

nobar on April 29, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Yep, that used to be the deal. “Stay out of my bedroom!” Fine, I gladly agreed to that.

I held up my end of the bargain, but the progressives naturally did not – as usual.

forest on April 29, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Watching other people play sports is a stupid waste of time

thuja on April 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Thuja is waiting for the 24/7 Gosnell Comedy Hour.

RovesChins on April 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Big deal. He’s not even the first Wizard to come out. That was Dumbledore.

Darksean on April 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM

What would be more shocking is if a WNBA player came out as straight.

portlandon on April 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I guess we all have to cheer him now, or it’s a hate crime.

squint on April 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Ben Shapiro seems to care…a lot.

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Wow, this requires a White House response…we are the opposite of serious.

blue13326 on April 29, 2013 at 2:29 PM

The other 10 percent will hassle him on the court or from the stands either because they dislike gays or just to spite the 15 percent of “opinion leaders” on the other side or their they’re drunk

Dang it!

Cindy Munford on April 29, 2013 at 2:29 PM

As far as so many here offering ‘don’t care’s and yawns…
welcome to the progress that had to be fought for.

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM

And why does ANYONE need to know who anyone else is having sex with?

Seriously? Does it affect the price of grapes? The stock market? Employment numbers? Foreign policy and free trade?

Does who YOU have sex with matter in the grand scheme of things?

Only liberals find importance in the truly non-important.

Plus, it’s really amusing to see liberal b!tch and moan about “get out of the bedroom and/or uteruses, etc”, but have absolutely no problem with oversharing this information that NO ONE ASKED FOR.

If liberals didn’t have double standards, they’d have none at all.

If this man hadn’t come out no one would be talking about who he bonks. No one would care. He would go on making obscene amounts of money being marginally adequate.

Attention wh#re seeks attention.

But you and your idiot liberal friends try to blame it on us somehow.

kim roy on April 29, 2013 at 2:29 PM

What would be more shocking is if a WNBA player came out as straight.

portlandon on April 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM

O_o

RovesChins on April 29, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Who cares?

Even if he weren’t ANCIENT, it would be irrelevant.

But, c’mon Obama Administration and MSM, let’s get all excited about a gay player and ignore Kermit Gosnell’s dead women and babies.

One is definitely more important than the other…after all, the civil rights of newborn babies and minority women aren’t as important as A GAY, PROFESSIONAL ATHLETE!!!!

Groan.

Resist We Much on April 29, 2013 at 2:30 PM

SparkPlug on April 29, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Even if he isn’t a convicted rapist, he is an admitted adulterer and skated the line as a child molester (his wife/ex-wife, I don’t know the status at this point was certainly below my comfort level when they were dating.)

I can’t stand Tiger Woods now, either.

All those people on DrewM’s list, yeah, I didn’t cheer for them before, and I certainly won’t cheer for them now.

cptacek on April 29, 2013 at 2:30 PM

RovesChins on April 29, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Good point.

Kobe Bryant’s sexual assault case was also more of a story- and that involved allegations that an NBA player actually had sex with a woman that wasn’t his spouse!

Dennis Rodman in drag was more of a story.

Charles Barkley saying he wasn’t a role model was more of a story.

Jason Collins a puffter- not so much.

Happy Nomad on April 29, 2013 at 2:31 PM

What would be more shocking is if a WNBA player came out as straight.

portlandon on April 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM

THREAD WINNAH!

ToddPA on April 29, 2013 at 2:31 PM

reppac122 on April 29, 2013 at 2:06 PM

yeah, we need another gosnell thread right, RIGHT?!

you ignrt douche!

nonpartisan on April 29, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Zaggs on April 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I’m not sure about the new CBA the players union agreed to before last season, but I know under the old one, the league minimum salary for a 10+ year veteran(which Jason Collins is) was well over a million dollars. Maybe even a million five. So any owner who agrees to sign him next season for anything more than a 10-day contract better really value the publicity.

Doughboy on April 29, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Watching other people play sports is a stupid waste of time

thuja on April 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Yep. I watch people comment on blogs instead.

SparkPlug on April 29, 2013 at 2:31 PM

As far as so many here offering ‘don’t care’s and yawns…
welcome to the progress that had to be fought for.

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Happy Nomad on April 29, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Different kinds of progress…but progress.
Don’t let it get you down, Happy.

verbaluce on April 29, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Sssssssssssssuper.

Who gives a crap.

To those who disapprove, “stay out of my bedroom! None of your business!”

To those who approve, “look what I’m doing in my bedroom! I want it to be everyone’s business!”

CycloneCDB on April 29, 2013 at 2:33 PM