Bradley Manning to Grand Marshal SF gay pride parade? Maybe not.

posted at 10:01 am on April 27, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

We are fast approaching an annual event which I know most of you have been waiting for with great anticipation… the 2013 San Francisco Gay Pride Parade. This yearly gathering is always a media favorite, but this year’s offering promises an entirely new twist. The highly coveted position of Grand Marshal is one which comes with many responsibilities, including being able to hoist a baton, play to the crowd and stay in step with all the floats. This job would be particularly difficult for the next proposed honoree, though, given his current housing situation.

This Wednesday, the San Francisco LGBT Pride Celebration Committee announced that openly gay Army whistleblower PFC Bradley Manning will be honored as a grand marshal for the largest gathering of LGBT (lesbian gay bisexual transgender) people and allies in the United States. SF Pride describes its grand marshals as “individuals and organizations that have made significant contributions to the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender community.”

A group of past grand marshals selected PFC Manning as this year’s sole honoree, bestowing one of the LGBT community’s highest accolades on the soldier who helped reveal unpunished war crimes, the Pentagon’s link to Iraqi torture (as publicized in a recent UK Guardian documentary), and other disturbing and previously secret foreign policies.

Not for nothing here, but it seems to me that there needs to be a bit of discretion when selecting the people you pick to fete. Whether or not Manning is gay has as much to do with this as our ability to put boxing gloves on a rooster. The guy is on trial for selling out his country and will likely go down in history as one of our more notable traitors the way things are going now. Is this really who you want to hold out as a prominent figure?

Well, as it turns out, this was all a false alarm. Somebody at the helm of SF Pride (the sponsors of the event) got wind of the plan and brought the oh so stylish hammer down on it.

26 April 2013: Bradley Manning will not be a grand marshal in this year’s San Francisco Pride celebration. His nomination was a mistake and should never have been allowed to happen. A staff person at SF Pride, acting under his own initiative, prematurely contacted Bradley Manning based on internal conversations within the SF Pride organization. That was an error and that person has been disciplined. He does not now, nor did he at that time, speak for SF Pride.

Bradley Manning is facing the military justice system of this country. We all await the decision of that system. However, until that time, even the hint of support for actions which placed in harms way the lives of our men and women in uniform — and countless others, military and civilian alike — will not be tolerated by the leadership of San Francisco Pride. It is, and would be, an insult to every one, gay and straight, who has ever served in the military of this country.

Well, I’m glad we got that straightened out. (Even if the fact that he was even considered leaves us with questions.) Besides… how was he going to get out of the hoosegow to lead the parade?

Comments

What’s up with these homophobes in San Fran? You’d think with their position in the SF Pride organization they’d be a lot less homophobic.

ButterflyDragon on April 27, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I am sure they’d let Manning out of the stockade, as long as he promised, really really promised, that he’d be back for Monday morning’s formation.

Why not have Obama do it.

You know he’d love to do it.

You know, community outreach, reach out…whatever…

coldwarrior on April 27, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Leave it to Jazz to post some inane rainbow crap just to gin up the mouse clicks.

Just kidding Jazz. We appreciate your reports from the front. Somebody’s got to do it and we’re all glad it’s you and none of us.

Watch out for those S/M demonstration booths. I’ve heard they like to grab “volunteers” from the passers-by.

platypus on April 27, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Caught with their panties down! They just want marriage equality, nothing to see here!

PaddyORyan on April 27, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Do I sense a disturbance in the gay-force?

Seriously, I am amazed sometimes at how the Left holds together, what with its cobbled-together conglomerate of butt-hurt constituencies that have disparate agendas.

Here we apparently have the “Totally-in-the-tank Leftist homosexuals-against-American-imperialism” on the one hand, and the “We’re all 100% gay 100% of the time and just want gayness to be gay” on the other.

What’s the Left to do when anti-war and homo-agenda don’t mix?

IronDioPriest on April 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM

PaddyORyan on April 27, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Anybody who has seen Zombie’s pics would be surprised that there are any panties at all, down or up.

platypus on April 27, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I think they accidentally left the quote marks and silly knowing grin off the word “disciplined”.

IronDioPriest on April 27, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Well, Jazz, you seem to be up on this stuff…I had no idea you were so, um, er…flamboyant.

Two snaps up. You go, girl!

coldwarrior on April 27, 2013 at 10:11 AM

What’s the Left to do when anti-war and homo-agenda don’t mix?

IronDioPriest on April 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM

That’s easy – blame Bush.

platypus on April 27, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Do I sense a disturbance in the gay-force?

IronDioPriest on April 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Maybe GOProud has a mole inside the parade planning committee…

JimLennon on April 27, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I’m pissed off that anyone nominated him at all. I have read a lot of comments over the years from people who profess to be gay condemning Manning. I hope this got nixed for reasons of sanity and patriotism and not because they realize it would be a p.r. nightmare.

Blake on April 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM

JimLennon on April 27, 2013 at 10:13 AM

At least it isn’t a gerbil.

coldwarrior on April 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM

My brain wants to erase that picture from itself but can’t. Please help.

SparkPlug on April 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM

That was an error and that person has been disciplined.

Pretty ineffective if the dude is into “discipline”.

BL@KBIRD on April 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM

That was an error and that person has been disciplined.

Thank you, sir. May I have another?

Odysseus on April 27, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Manning is another one. Why is this dirtbag not already tried, convicted, and in prison? Defense attys like to “age” cases but it doesn’t mean the prosecution and courts have to bend over every time they ask for another delay.

Blake on April 27, 2013 at 10:16 AM

…pation.

Fallon on April 27, 2013 at 10:16 AM

See, this is good positioning. They already got DADT repealed, so appearing to stir the pot would be seen as harmful not only to The Cause™, but also to any gays who happen to be in the military.

Though I know quite a few gay servicemembers who would just love to push Manning off a cliff. Of course, that might be because everybody I knew was in intel, though, and had clearances which weren’t used to do naughty, treasonous things.

mintycrys on April 27, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Pretty ineffective if the dude is into “discipline”.

BL@KBIRD on April 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM

What did the sadist say to the masochist?

“No.”

platypus on April 27, 2013 at 10:17 AM

How…sweet.

kingsjester on April 27, 2013 at 10:19 AM

That’s easy – blame Bush.

platypus on April 27, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Pun intended?

Fallon on April 27, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Considering that the news came from a far left “progressive” website “commondreams dot org” one can only guess the politics of the individual involved in this “fox paw”.

I don’t think gays are unified politically, so it’s to be expected that the communists — or libertarians — amongst them would be rife with support for Bradley Manning.

unclesmrgol on April 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM

So, basically nothing happened.

I guess if it’s a slow news day, throw up some gay non-story to get a few clicks out of the weekenders.

Dongemaharu on April 27, 2013 at 10:36 AM

So apparently it is now okay to sell out your country as long as you are gay…

melle1228 on April 27, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Why is my Kroger ad at the end of the article in Spanish (or is it Latino)? “Ahorra el 50%” is Spanish, right?

ExpressoBold on April 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM

ExpressoBold on April 27, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Press #2.

Para Español, por favor, pulse dos.

Krogers?

I’m getting Bergdorf Goodman and Saks Fifth Avenue.

coldwarrior on April 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Frankly, I’m shocked that the Commie filth in the Oval Office hasn’t already been penciled in as the Grand Poobar [I know it’s Poobah].

The homosexuals are one of his largest constituencies, and after he Poobar’s the homosexual parade, he can do one for the Gimmes, the illegals, the commies and the atheists.

He needs to take care of his minions … and represent.

Sidebar – re: LGBT

With the possible exception of transgender, wouldn’t homosexual cover it? Why the redundancy?

Note: The Gimmes, supra

OhEssYouCowboys on April 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM

You “straightened them out”? They’re still gay, so I don’t think so…

ParisParamus on April 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM

You “straightened them out”? They’re still gay, so I don’t think so…

ParisParamus on April 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Perhaps he divulged a bit too much information on that one???

Really do not care to know the how’s and such…

coldwarrior on April 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM

That was an error and that person has been disciplined.

And they LOVED every minute of it!

GarandFan on April 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Pity, I was hoping they would give him a ROR/weekend pass to Bagdad-by-the-Bay… lock-up is so boring…

Khun Joe on April 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Why do pudgy half-naked men parading their inflated package in skimpy gaudy-colored spandex underwear with balloons attached to their backs to make themselves look like fairies is attractive?

avagreen on April 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Why?

I mean, we’ve pretty firmly established by this point that there’s no political price to pay for this sort of thing, at least for those who are left of center.

Black Panthers guarding the polling places? Right wing propaganda. Watch your ambassador die in a firefight for 8 hours? Lies. No coverage. Give a card-carrying Communist Party Member a cabinet position? Whatever. Give an actual terrorist a chair at Columbia? You wingnuts. Fete a proud and current foreign terrorist supporter and 9/11 enthusiast at the White House to be presented a medal by the First Lady? Yawn.

On the other hand, Susan Komen cancels an insignificant amount of funding for abortions and the Big 3 launch a two week negative-PR barrage of Watergate coverage to force them to backtrack.

America’s a-changing all right. Frankly, the reaction of the PR person at the gay pride parade is residual and unnecessary.

HitNRun on April 27, 2013 at 11:16 AM

*think

avagreen on April 27, 2013 at 11:16 AM

avagreen on April 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM

So…you are a “breeder,” a hetero, straight…. :-)

Shhh, gotta keep that on the down low…we are a vanishing demographic…

coldwarrior on April 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM

What’s the Left to do when anti-war and homo-agenda don’t mix?

IronDioPriest on April 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM

You seem the overlook the main thing all liberals have in common and what keeps them aligned.

Victicrats. Every single one of them. That victim status is what ties them together. It doesn’t matter who they perceive as victimizing them, as long as they get to claim victim status.

And 99.9% of the time it will be someone they perceive as living the good life due to white privilege.

It’s not the common cause that keeps them aligned. It’s a common hatred.

ButterflyDragon on April 27, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Good for them for wising up. Their desire for normality (such as it is) would be smoother if they stopped letting the crazies lead the parade. I mean that for literally and figuratively,.

Cindy Munford on April 27, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I don’t even know where to begin dissecting that huge load *giggety* of leftist tripe. WTH “contribution to gays” et al is Manning responsible for?!? I’m glad at least someone out there on the Left coast issued a mea culpa about this…Like I said before, I’ve been done with gay pride parades for a long time after my first in Wash DC and second…and last… in NYC.

I call them “Gay Embarrassment” day.

JetBoy on April 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM

coldwarrior on April 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Yah. Thank God He’s provided………. in their perfect world gay men are enabled to be able to use their seed to impregnate a fellow gay female to produce babies, and vice versa.

In His Holy wisdom, God could see this and provided for the continuation of the perfect gay world sans straights. *the wonder of it all*

avagreen on April 27, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I mean that for literally and figuratively.

Cindy Munford on April 27, 2013 at 11:23 AM

My apologies to proof readers everywhere.

Cindy Munford on April 27, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Bradley Manning should be well hung.

At Gitmo.

profitsbeard on April 27, 2013 at 11:32 AM

My apologies to proof readers everywhere.

Cindy Munford on April 27, 2013 at 11:28 AM

heh…I can remember when we were all beeatching about having a “preview” button for comments…it’s been there for a long time now, and I wonder how many of us…me included…actually use it :)

JetBoy on April 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM

JetBoy on April 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I do. Every post.
I just somtimes read too fast.

avagreen on April 27, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Gay pride parade?

What exactly do they have to be proud of? Why would it be a point of pride to be gay, if you’re supposedly born that way?

And if the answer is that there is nothing to be especially proud of, then why the overuse of the phrase, “gay pride?”

Sounds an awful lot like overcompensation for a perception of shame.

There Goes the Neighborhood on April 27, 2013 at 11:52 AM

The upside: that’s likely to be a relatively troll-free day here.

slickwillie2001 on April 27, 2013 at 11:55 AM

JetBoy on April 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM

It would be nice to have an edit feature.

CW on April 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM

It would be nice to have an edit feature.

CW on April 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Yeah, but it should be something similar to Reddit’s comment-editing…you can “ninja edit” within 60 seconds or so after submitting, and any edits after that would show an asterisk by our username in the comment box…to show that it has been edited.

JetBoy on April 27, 2013 at 12:08 PM

There Goes the Neighborhood on April 27, 2013 at 11:52 AM

*whispering into ear* don’t think you are supposed to notice that.

avagreen on April 27, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Speaks volumes.

hawkdriver on April 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM

That paired with the posted picture, was unfortunate.

eww…

Asked a gay man I worked with once what he thought of those parades. He rolled his eyes, and said something to the effect, most gays hate it, because it re-enforces the old stereotype of gay men being freaks. All most all he told me, just want to blend in, not wear feathers and have sex in public alleys.. which I’d expect is true, very few people wear their sexual needs on their sleeves. Tends to be something most everyone wants to keep to themselves and their partner.

That parade is nothing more than an upraised middle finger to normalcy, and discretion. All it succeeds in doing, is in making people wince, as in a turn away from the bloody corpse traffic accident kind of way..

mark81150 on April 27, 2013 at 1:04 PM

so……

when is the Straight Pride Day parade?

and will there be strippers?…………… lots of sympathetic news coverage?… will there be beer?

….

just wondering..

There used to be a time when people didn’t like to display their personal kinks in public..

mark81150 on April 27, 2013 at 1:25 PM

JetBoy on April 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM

For some odd reason, I still see what I meant to say instead of what I actually said.

Cindy Munford on April 27, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I call them “Gay Embarrassment” day.

JetBoy on April 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I’ve never agreed with you on gay marriage, but damn well said. San Francisco and California more broadly have always been nests for insanity though, so it doesn’t surprise me that they’d sooner honor traitors than hang them.

It makes me wonder how they’d react if a terrorist struck the West Coast, be it in the heart of San Fran or LA.

Stoic Patriot on April 27, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Bradley Manning should be well hung.

At Gitmo.

profitsbeard on April 27, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Reminds me of the bashful snotty guy in the barracks, refused to shower cause somebody might see him.. got to where he smelled so bad, an intervention was necessary. A group of us just told him, look, we’ll keep folks out of the north latrine while you run in and shower, or it’s firehose time..

which will it be?..

you can guess the answer…. how he got through basic is beyond me. 50 guys showering in just 6 minutes, you loose what ever modesty you have pretty quick, that and round fountain urinals.. there were no “personal” secrets.

mark81150 on April 27, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I think this parade idea is totally gay.

Tom Servo on April 27, 2013 at 2:00 PM

The American Military Partners Association, I think the biggest group for gay vets, raised a HUGE ruckus about this yesterday when the first reports came out about it. Many gay vets were not pleased at all with the choice of Manning and had much to say about him that you find here.

JohnAGJ on April 27, 2013 at 2:38 PM

What does strutting around naked and ugly while engaged in lewd acts have to do with pride anyway?

Sherman1864 on April 27, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Tom Servo you are right: the parade is epic gay and REtarded.

Sherman1864 on April 27, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Why bomb a marathon … just asking?
I mean running and good health opposed to western “values” and debauchery.

kregg on April 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM

…where did you get the picture of DBare?

KOOLAID2 on April 27, 2013 at 7:07 PM

If gays were wise, the parade would consist of gays dressed in their working clothes and uniforms and marching without flamboyance.

BL@KBIRD on April 27, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Where’ the fun in that?

That’s the Monday morning line waiting for the Sausalito ferry into SF.

coldwarrior on April 27, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Bradley Manning should be well hung.

At Gitmo.